Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "Delicious Southern Foods the Rest of the World Finds Disgusting"

On Sun, 3 Jun 2018 20:10:36 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 6/3/2018 4:21 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Sunday, June 3, 2018 at 3:22:44 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>>> On Sun, 3 Jun 2018 05:29:38 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

>>> Which of those ingredients is food? And which aren't? Do you eat
>>> anything that's not a poison?

>> You can't recognize flour as food? You're worse off than I thought.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>Flour, water, sugar, baking powder baking soda... apparently none of
>those things are food.

Another challenged reader. If those 5 are food, that leaves Niacin,
Ferrous Sulfate, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Xanthan
Gum, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Color.

But if that's your cup of tea, enjoy! Have my portion too!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 Jun 2018 21:58:28 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>I don't eat much candy. In the past year I've bought a couple of bags
>of mini candy bars. My favorite is mini Payday. Salted peanuts and
>sweet caramel/nougat. The other is mini Heath bars. All it takes is
>one of the little Payday bars or a couple of the mini Heath bars.
>Satisfies that sweets craving.
>
>Jill

Neither of us are much into candy. Our usual sweet snack is a big
bowl of fresh berries drizzled with local honey.
Strawberries and raspberris are on sale this week, I'll pick some up
tomorrow.
----
Tops Market:
Fresh Big Pack Strawberries or Raspberries
Choose from 32 oz. pkg. of Strawberries or 12 oz. pkg. Raspberries
$ 3 .88 ea
All the honey we can use is gratis from our bee keeping neighbors in
trade for our fresh veggies... also because they know their bees enjoy
our wildflower meadow plus all the flowers we grow. We've already
planted a large plot of mammouth sunflowers, the bees love them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://www.saveur.com/article/Recip...ns-Turtle-Soup

>> Jill

> Not just the south. Hunters and their families enjoy turtle soup.
> Brennans in New Orleans serves it.
> Janet US

I had it at Brennan's in Memphis. Delicious.

My father told me when he was a kid during the Depression he and his
brothers sometimes caught turtles along the creek on the way home from
school. Grandma made turtle soup. That was in western Pennsylvania.
No swamps there.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 Jun 2018 22:59:34 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 6/3/2018 10:44 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Sun, 3 Jun 2018 20:14:34 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> He thinks he's being cute but turtle *soup* happens to be a common dish
>>> in parts of Louisiana and the Mississippi gulf coast. No deep frying
>>> involved. Turtle soup is delicious! Bruce will hate this one:

https://www.saveur.com/article/Recip...ns-Turtle-Soup

>>> Jill

>> Not just the south. Hunters and their families enjoy turtle soup.
>> Brennans in New Orleans serves it.
>> Janet US
>>

>I had it at Brennan's in Memphis. Delicious.
>
>My father told me when he was a kid during the Depression he and his
>brothers sometimes caught turtles along the creek on the way home from
>school. Grandma made turtle soup. That was in western Pennsylvania.
>No swamps there.
>
>Jill

My sister also battered it and fried it. It was very good.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 3, 2018 at 7:00:58 PM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:

> They were sometimes at the .99 cent store, but I haven't looked lately. My
> favorite candy bar of all time is the Zero Bar.
>
> Cehri

A Zero bar is a very great thing. The only place that I can find them on this rock is at Walmart. I once bought a box of Zeros at Sam's Club. The next time I tried to get another box, it was gone - forever. That's the breaks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 Jun 2018 21:59:59 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>
>> Funny how you can find them there in CA but I can't find them in stores in
>> SC. Not that I'm looking for Goo-Goo Clusters. LOL
>>
>> I don't eat much candy. In the past year I've bought a couple of bags of
>> mini candy bars. My favorite is mini Payday. Salted peanuts and sweet
>> caramel/nougat. The other is mini Heath bars. All it takes is one of the
>> little Payday bars or a couple of the mini Heath bars. Satisfies that
>> sweets craving.
>>
>> Jill

>They were sometimes at the .99 cent store, but I haven't looked lately. My
>favorite candy bar of all time is the Zero Bar.
>
>Cehri

"Sugar, Corn Syrup, Vegetable Oil (Palm Kernel and Palm Oil), Nonfat
Milk, Soy Pieces, Peanuts, Contains 2% or Less of: Cocoa, Malted Milk
(Barley Malt Extract, Wheat Flour, Milk, Salt, Sodium Bicarbonate),
Almonds (Roasted in Cocoa Butter and/or Sunflower Oil), Salt,
Artificial Color, Sorbitan Tristearate, Egg Whites, Soy Lecithin,
Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Artificial Flavor, Mono- and Diglycerides."

Don't eat too much of them. They're bad for the brain. You might even
forget how to spell your own name!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 3, 2018 at 8:41:00 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Jun 2018 20:10:36 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

> >> You can't recognize flour as food? You're worse off than I thought.
> >>
> >> Cindy Hamilton
> >>

> >Flour, water, sugar, baking powder baking soda... apparently none of
> >those things are food.

> Another challenged reader. If those 5 are food, that leaves Niacin,
> Ferrous Sulfate, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Xanthan
> Gum, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Color.
>
> But if that's your cup of tea, enjoy! Have my portion too!

Niacin, Thimin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, and Folic Acid are vitamins.
Ferrous Sulfate is probably added as a source of dietary iron.

Xanthan gum is a thickener that is commonly used by low-carbers in
place of starches. It's derived from corn or wheat by bacterial
action. Might as well complain about the veins in blue cheese.

There is an allowable component of bug parts and rat feces in
flour, so worrying about Natural and Artificial Flavors and Color
is pointless.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Jun 2018 03:05:39 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, June 3, 2018 at 8:41:00 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 3 Jun 2018 20:10:36 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>
>> Another challenged reader. If those 5 are food, that leaves Niacin,
>> Ferrous Sulfate, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Xanthan
>> Gum, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Color.
>>
>> But if that's your cup of tea, enjoy! Have my portion too!

>Niacin, Thimin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, and Folic Acid are vitamins.
>Ferrous Sulfate is probably added as a source of dietary iron.
>
>Xanthan gum is a thickener that is commonly used by low-carbers in
>place of starches. It's derived from corn or wheat by bacterial
>action. Might as well complain about the veins in blue cheese.
>
>There is an allowable component of bug parts and rat feces in
>flour, so worrying about Natural and Artificial Flavors and Color
>is pointless.

Of course there are reasons why they put all that crap in food. But
the point is that food that needs all that crap is... uhm... crap! Eat
real food! It exists!

You have such blind sheeple faith in science
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, June 3, 2018 at 7:00:58 PM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
>>

>> They were sometimes at the .99 cent store, but I haven't looked lately.
>> My
>> favorite candy bar of all time is the Zero Bar.
>>
>> Cehri

> A Zero bar is a very great thing. The only place that I can find them on
> this rock is at Walmart. I once bought a box of Zeros at Sam's Club. The
> next time I tried to get another box, it was gone - forever. That's the
> breaks.

===

Same here, the only place to find them in this town is Walmart. I treat
myself a couple of times a year...to the double sized bar.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-06-03 10:59 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 6/3/2018 10:44 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> My father told me when he was a kid during the Depression he and his
> brothers sometimes caught turtles along the creek on the way home from
> school.Â* Grandma made turtle soup.Â* That was in western Pennsylvania. No
> swamps there.

They don't need big swamps. They also live in ponds and streams. There
is a small marsh a half mile down the road from me and another one about
a half mile mile into the woods, but there are two streams through my
property and my neighbour has a pond. I often see snappers walking
around on my lawn.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Jun 2018 10:13:38 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2018-06-03 10:59 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 6/3/2018 10:44 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>> My father told me when he was a kid during the Depression he and his
>> brothers sometimes caught turtles along the creek on the way home from
>> school.* Grandma made turtle soup.* That was in western Pennsylvania. No
>> swamps there.

>They don't need big swamps. They also live in ponds and streams. There
>is a small marsh a half mile down the road from me and another one about
>a half mile mile into the woods, but there are two streams through my
>property and my neighbour has a pond. I often see snappers walking
>around on my lawn.

what fun to be able to observe them!
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

When I was in 3rd grade, and we lived in Miami (late forties, early fifties), we had turtle soup at a restaurant
in Key West. It was delicious, but I suspect it was made with some variety of now-banned sea turtle. I am
glad I got to taste it, whatever kind of turtle it was.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/4/2018 12:59 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>
>> Funny how you can find them there in CA but I can't find them in
>> stores in SC.* Not that I'm looking for Goo-Goo Clusters. LOL
>>
>> I don't eat much candy.* In the past year I've bought a couple of bags
>> of mini candy bars.* My favorite is mini Payday.* Salted peanuts and
>> sweet caramel/nougat.* The other is mini Heath bars.* All it takes is
>> one of the little Payday bars or a couple of the mini Heath bars.
>> Satisfies that sweets craving.
>>
>> Jill

> They were sometimes at the .99 cent store, but I haven't looked lately.
> My favorite candy bar of all time is the Zero Bar.
>
> Cehri

Mine was (do they still make 'em?) Zagnut!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Jun 2018 05:42:42 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"dsi1" > wrote in message
>> On Sunday, June 3, 2018 at 7:00:58 PM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
>>>

>>> They were sometimes at the .99 cent store, but I haven't looked lately.
>>> My
>>> favorite candy bar of all time is the Zero Bar.
>>>
>>> Cehri

>> A Zero bar is a very great thing. The only place that I can find them on
>> this rock is at Walmart. I once bought a box of Zeros at Sam's Club. The
>> next time I tried to get another box, it was gone - forever. That's the
>> breaks.

>===
>
>Same here, the only place to find them in this town is Walmart. I treat
>myself a couple of times a year...to the double sized bar.
>
>Cheri

I don't think I've eaten a Zero bar in fifty years, as I remember it
had a white coating. My favorite candy bar was a Welch's Fudge Bar...
alas no longer made.
https://www.chowhound.com/post/welch...dge-bar-506406
Wrapper:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonl...ff/4537859751/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 4, 2018 at 11:46:39 AM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
> On 6/4/2018 12:59 AM, Cheri wrote:
> > "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> Funny how you can find them there in CA but I can't find them in
> >> stores in SC.Â* Not that I'm looking for Goo-Goo Clusters. LOL
> >>
> >> I don't eat much candy.Â* In the past year I've bought a couple of bags
> >> of mini candy bars.Â* My favorite is mini Payday.Â* Salted peanuts and
> >> sweet caramel/nougat.Â* The other is mini Heath bars.Â* All it takes is
> >> one of the little Payday bars or a couple of the mini Heath bars.
> >> Satisfies that sweets craving.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > They were sometimes at the .99 cent store, but I haven't looked lately.
> > My favorite candy bar of all time is the Zero Bar.
> >
> > Cehri
> >

> Mine was (do they still make 'em?) Zagnut!
>
> Jill

Plain chocolate for me.

I think they've stopped making my favorite:

<https://www.amazon.com/Lindt-Swiss-Bittersweet-3-5-Ounce-Packages/dp/B000HQRKJG?th=1>

I'm slumming with Ghirardelli now. The replacement Lindt bar
was inconvenient.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I think there's alligator turtles farther north than I am but none here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 4 Jun 2018 05:42:42 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:

>>> A Zero bar is a very great thing. The only place that I can find them on
>>> this rock is at Walmart. I once bought a box of Zeros at Sam's Club. The
>>> next time I tried to get another box, it was gone - forever. That's the
>>> breaks.

>>===
>>
>>Same here, the only place to find them in this town is Walmart. I treat
>>myself a couple of times a year...to the double sized bar.
>>
>>Cheri

> I don't think I've eaten a Zero bar in fifty years, as I remember it
> had a white coating. My favorite candy bar was a Welch's Fudge Bar...
> alas no longer made.
> https://www.chowhound.com/post/welch...dge-bar-506406
> Wrapper:
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonl...ff/4537859751/

I don't remember ever seeing those or hearing about them. I used to love
Mountain Bars too, but impossible to find in the stores anymore. I just want
one, not cases of any of them.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> When I was in 3rd grade, and we lived in Miami (late forties, early fifties), we had turtle soup at a restaurant
> in Key West. It was delicious, but I suspect it was made with some variety of now-banned sea turtle. I am
> glad I got to taste it, whatever kind of turtle it was.

Most of those very south turtle soups are made from snapping
turtle. That's what is prevelant there. It's good meat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/4/2018 2:15 PM, Gary wrote:
> Nancy2 wrote:
>>
>> When I was in 3rd grade, and we lived in Miami (late forties, early fifties), we had turtle soup at a restaurant
>> in Key West. It was delicious, but I suspect it was made with some variety of now-banned sea turtle. I am
>> glad I got to taste it, whatever kind of turtle it was.

> Most of those very south turtle soups are made from snapping
> turtle. That's what is prevelant there. It's good meat.

Snapping turtle is likely what I tasted at Brennan's in Memphis. Also
likely the ones my father recounted catching in the creeks with his
siblings in Pennsylvania. On the way home from school. And yes, this
is one "walking home from school" tale I actually do believe. They also
picked dandelion greens for [my] grandma to cook. This was in the
1930's. Turtle soup.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Jun 2018 09:38:07 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, June 4, 2018 at 11:46:39 AM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
>> On 6/4/2018 12:59 AM, Cheri wrote:

>> > They were sometimes at the .99 cent store, but I haven't looked lately.
>> > My favorite candy bar of all time is the Zero Bar.
>> >
>> > Cehri
>> >

>> Mine was (do they still make 'em?) Zagnut!
>>
>> Jill

>Plain chocolate for me.
>
>I think they've stopped making my favorite:
>
><https://www.amazon.com/Lindt-Swiss-Bittersweet-3-5-Ounce-Packages/dp/B000HQRKJG?th=1>
>
>I'm slumming with Ghirardelli now. The replacement Lindt bar
>was inconvenient.

Not Ghirardelli chocolate, I hope!

"Unsweetened Chocolate, Sugar, Corn Syrup, Sweetened Condensed Milk,
Cocoa Butter, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Coconut, Soybean,
Cottonseed), Water, Milk Fat, Butter, Sorbitol, Natural and Artificial
Flavor, Salt, Disodium Phosphate, Vanilla, Soy Lecithin - an
Emulsifier, Potassium Sorbate - a Preservative."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I forget how big alligator turtles get, at least a few hundred lbs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

175 lbs is what I just read, they look like dinosaurs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Jun 2018 14:37:29 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>175 lbs is what I just read, they look like dinosaurs.

Women?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 4 Jun 2018 14:37:29 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
>
>>175 lbs is what I just read, they look like dinosaurs.

> Women?

Short men who don't use male beauty products.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Jun 2018 16:41:26 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 4 Jun 2018 14:37:29 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
>>
>>>175 lbs is what I just read, they look like dinosaurs.

>> Women?

>Short men who don't use male beauty products.

lol, good I don't qualify
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 4, 2018 at 3:25:09 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Jun 2018 09:38:07 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >> Mine was (do they still make 'em?) Zagnut!
> >>
> >> Jill

> >Plain chocolate for me.
> >
> >I think they've stopped making my favorite:
> >
> ><https://www.amazon.com/Lindt-Swiss-Bittersweet-3-5-Ounce-Packages/dp/B000HQRKJG?th=1>
> >
> >I'm slumming with Ghirardelli now. The replacement Lindt bar
> >was inconvenient.

> Not Ghirardelli chocolate, I hope!
>
> "Unsweetened Chocolate, Sugar, Corn Syrup, Sweetened Condensed Milk,
> Cocoa Butter, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Coconut, Soybean,
> Cottonseed), Water, Milk Fat, Butter, Sorbitol, Natural and Artificial
> Flavor, Salt, Disodium Phosphate, Vanilla, Soy Lecithin - an
> Emulsifier, Potassium Sorbate - a Preservative."

Ew. Milk chocolate.

Not that. This:

unsweetened chocolate, sugar, cocoa butter, milk fat, soy lecithin (an emulsifier), vanilla

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I weigh about 190 and most of the women weigh more than I do but they do look human.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-06-05, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> Oh, Jill, the mini Payday and mini Heath bars have been favorites of
> mine for a long time.

Yes, but unfortunately they all taste the same, now ....like HFCS. 8|

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-06-03, Nancy Young > wrote:

> I think the name puts people off.

As there are neither eggs nor cream in the drink, I can see why.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-05-31, jmcquown > wrote:

> I've never heard of peanuts in cola.

My buddy usta put a Payday bar in his RC Cola. This in Norcal, in the
60s.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-06-04, jmcquown > wrote:

> Despite living in an area surrounded by marsh, I can't find turtle meat
> at any local store. I wouldn't deep fry it at any rate. I'd make
> turtle soup!

I recall from reading the Patrick O'Brian series (Master/Commander)
that sailors really loved turtle soup, but only from the green
hawkbill sea turtle. It was mentioned that other types of turtles
could make sailors quite ill, though those turtles were never
identified.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> I weigh about 190 and most of the women weigh more than I do but they do look human.

OK. Where did that random comment come from?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Tue 05 Jun 2018 09:23:25a, notbob told us...
>
> > On 2018-05-31, jmcquown > wrote:
> >
> >> I've never heard of peanuts in cola.

> > My buddy usta put a Payday bar in his RC Cola. This in Norcal, in
> > the 60s.
> >
> > nb
> >

> Makes me wonder how he got it through the bottle top. :-)

Still a waste of a valuable PayDay. That was my favorite candy
bar as a kid..
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5 Jun 2018 16:23:25 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2018-05-31, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> I've never heard of peanuts in cola.

>My buddy usta put a Payday bar in his RC Cola. This in Norcal, in the
>60s.

You have a buddy called Usta?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 05 Jun 2018 13:56:03 -0400, Gary > wrote:

wrote:

>> I weigh about 190 and most of the women weigh more than I do but they do look human.

>OK. Where did that random comment come from?

lol I believe it started with turtles that look like dinosaurs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 4, 2018 at 2:43:31 AM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:

> Same here, the only place to find them in this town is Walmart. I treat
> myself a couple of times a year...to the double sized bar.
>
> Cheri

That's sweet!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 4, 2018 at 4:13:39 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> They don't need big swamps. They also live in ponds and streams. There
> is a small marsh a half mile down the road from me and another one about
> a half mile mile into the woods, but there are two streams through my
> property and my neighbour has a pond. I often see snappers walking
> around on my lawn.

My friend has a bunch of turtles and tortoises in his yard. I suspect that some magnetic anomaly in the area draws them to him. He built a pond for them and they'll sun themselves by the pond during the day. When they see me or some stranger walk by, they'll dive into the pond. Plop, plop, plop. Evidently turtles have pretty good eyesight. These terrapins are the ones people used to buy for pets, the red eared ones. Beats me if they make good eatin'.