Old 12-04-2018, 11:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 4-Way for Lunch

Cincinnati-style 4-Way for lunch. Ground beef chili with tomato sauce
and spiced with chile pepper, fresh garlic & onion, cumin, allspice,
clove, garlic powder, Mexican oregano, smoked black pepper, cocoa
powder, salt, sugar, and MSG. Simmered for 1.5 hours and served over
linguine. Topped with shredded asiago cheese and chopped red and
yellow onions.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwert...ream/lightbox/

-sw

Old 13-04-2018, 12:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12-Apr-2018, Sqwertz wrote:

Cincinnati-style 4-Way for lunch. Ground beef chili with tomato
sauce
and spiced with chile pepper, fresh garlic & onion, cumin,
allspice,
clove, garlic powder, Mexican oregano, smoked black pepper,
cocoa
powder, salt, sugar, and MSG. Simmered for 1.5 hours and
served over
linguine. Topped with shredded asiago cheese and chopped red
and
yellow onions.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwert...ream/lightbox/

-sw

Oh, my; that looks good. I am a big fan of chili x-way. I often
go all-the-way but 4-way is also very good.

I whish I'd had that instead of the sweet and sour pork I ate.

--
Change cujo to juno to make a valid email address.

I'm easy to get along with when things go my way.
Old 13-04-2018, 11:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 13, 2018 at 1:33:27 AM UTC-4, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Thu 12 Apr 2018 04:37:54p, l not -l told us...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwert.../photostream/l
ightbox/

-sw

Oh, my; that looks good. I am a big fan of chili x-way. I often
go all-the-way but 4-way is also very good.

I whish I'd had that instead of the sweet and sour pork I ate.

Although we lived in NE Ohio for many years, we rarely had reason to
travel as far down as Cincinnati. On one trip there we were excited
at the prospect off eating at one of the Skyline Chili restaurants,
but after tasting our first bite that was where the excitement ended.
Neither of us liked the flavors. After another spoonful we left and
went to a local deli for corned beef sandwiches.

I have to admit that it looks good, and I know many people who like
Cincinnati Chili, but it's just not for us, particularly the
inclusion of cloves, allspice, and cocoa.

No big deal. We have friends that have eaten at Skyline and also
make Cincinnati Chili at home. The love it. We'll stick with our
own various versions of chili. :-)

My husband is from Cincinnati. He likes his chili three-way or four-way,
but draws the line at adding the sweet spices. For my part, I don't
see the point of putting chili on spaghetti. I'd rather scoop it
up with corn chips.

We walked into a Skyline once to get something to drink, and walked
right back out, the chili smelled so bad.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 13-04-2018, 02:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

Cincinnati-style 4-Way for lunch. Ground beef chili with tomato sauce
and spiced with chile pepper, fresh garlic & onion, cumin, allspice,
clove, garlic powder, Mexican oregano, smoked black pepper, cocoa
powder, salt, sugar, and MSG. Simmered for 1.5 hours and served over
linguine. Topped with shredded asiago cheese and chopped red and
yellow onions.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwert...ream/lightbox/

Looks very tasty. I especially like the chopped raw onions added
at the end for extra tang and crunch factor.
Old 13-04-2018, 02:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 13, 2018 at 5:17:38 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

My husband is from Cincinnati. He likes his chili three-way or four-way,
but draws the line at adding the sweet spices. For my part, I don't
see the point of putting chili on spaghetti. I'd rather scoop it
up with corn chips.

The addition of spaghetti is nothing but a meal stretcher. There's a
restaurant here that serves chili with spaghetti and it doesn't take
but a bit of chili on top of a big pile of sketti and it looks like an
enormous meal.

Old 13-04-2018, 02:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

On Friday, April 13, 2018 at 5:17:38 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

My husband is from Cincinnati. He likes his chili three-way or four-way,
but draws the line at adding the sweet spices. For my part, I don't
see the point of putting chili on spaghetti. I'd rather scoop it
up with corn chips.

The addition of spaghetti is nothing but a meal stretcher. There's a
restaurant here that serves chili with spaghetti and it doesn't take
but a bit of chili on top of a big pile of sketti and it looks like an
enormous meal.

Yet, it's probably quite tasty though. Right?
Old 13-04-2018, 05:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
Sqwertz wrote:

Cincinnati-style 4-Way for lunch. Ground beef chili with tomato sauce
and spiced with chile pepper, fresh garlic & onion, cumin, allspice,
clove, garlic powder, Mexican oregano, smoked black pepper, cocoa
powder, salt, sugar, and MSG. Simmered for 1.5 hours and served over
linguine. Topped with shredded asiago cheese and chopped red and
yellow onions.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwert...ream/lightbox/

Looks very tasty. I especially like the chopped raw onions added
at the end for extra tang and crunch factor.

A bit of raw onion is fine but that's so way too much it qualifies for
a TIAD award. I don't much care for chili on pasta, for stretching
I'd much rather south of the border style, on rice. I also don't like
chili with cheese, yet a second TIAD qualifier.
Chili should be served in bowls. And everyone needs to shitcan their
disgusting black dinnerware.

Old 13-04-2018, 05:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Apr 2018 03:17:33 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:

My husband is from Cincinnati. He likes his chili three-way or four-way,
but draws the line at adding the sweet spices. For my part, I don't
see the point of putting chili on spaghetti. I'd rather scoop it
up with corn chips.

You can't tell there's any cocoa, allspice, or clove in here. I used
very little. They modify the flavor of the chili, but you can't
discern the individual spices. Skyline chili is more pronounced in
that department.

-sw
Old 13-04-2018, 07:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Apr 2018 12:19:36 -0400, wrote:

And everyone needs to shitcan their disgusting black dinnerware.

Says the hypocritical, petty, whiney, grumpy old asshole who has
obnoxious, mostly black dinnerware.

-sw
Old 13-04-2018, 08:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 13, 2018 at 8:39:25 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

" wrote:

The addition of spaghetti is nothing but a meal stretcher. There's a
restaurant here that serves chili with spaghetti and it doesn't take
but a bit of chili on top of a big pile of sketti and it looks like an
enormous meal.

Yet, it's probably quite tasty though. Right?

Yes, if the chili is good. The spaghetti on it's on is tasteless and
I had a friend who wouldn't consume chili unless he cooked a pot of
skettis, too. But the addition of pasta does make it a filling meal.

Old 13-04-2018, 08:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Apr 2018 13:31:52 -0500, Sqwertz
wrote:

On Fri, 13 Apr 2018 12:19:36 -0400, wrote:

And everyone needs to shitcan their disgusting black dinnerware.

Says the hypocritical, petty, whiney, grumpy old asshole who has
obnoxious, mostly black dinnerware.

Not true. Our everyday dinnerware is primarily white with a small
amount of black and floral trim at the border. I don't like them but
they were my wife's when we met. I'd toss them but not worth an
argument, in any case there are only four dinner plates remaining and
three are badly chipped and one is cracked and ready to go. The
plates are quite pricey to replace as someone here asked about the
set... Mikasa Charisma... was looked up and found on some replacement
site. We have a few salad plates and cereal bowls but those are used
for cat food dishes. The few cups remaining are too small or coffee,
Limey tea sized I suppose. The saucers are good to use as lids on
Pyrex measuring cups.
All of our good dishes are all white, only the plates are like two
inches larger diameter so we don't always use them, they look too
formal for everyday. And since I hand wash all dishes I'd rather use
old plates lest new get broken.
But I think all black dinnerware is disgusting, reminds me of funeral,
I'd rather a white paper plate.d
I prefer all white dinnerware. I don't like these but at least
they're not all black:
https://postimg.cc/image/cg86nrlyj/
Chili is best served in a terra cotta/adobe bowl.
Old 13-04-2018, 10:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I have to admit that it looks good, and I know many people who like
Cincinnati Chili, but it's just not for us, particularly the
inclusion of cloves, allspice, and cocoa.

Sure, you can just make a red chili and fix it how you like then serve
over the pasta. I generally don't add the sweet spices. As I don't care
for onions, I skip those but have it with beans.

Good over rice as well.

Brian
Old 13-04-2018, 11:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

The addition of spaghetti is nothing but a meal stretcher. There's a
restaurant here that serves chili with spaghetti and it doesn't take
but a bit of chili on top of a big pile of sketti and it looks like an
enormous meal.

Yet, it's probably quite tasty though. Right?

Yes, if the chili is good. The spaghetti on it's on is tasteless and
I had a friend who wouldn't consume chili unless he cooked a pot of
skettis, too. But the addition of pasta does make it a filling meal.

Chili in a restaurant is always risky. I had some as a child in TX that was
so hot it made me cry. But often it is bland and watery.

Old 13-04-2018, 11:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Apr 2018 03:17:33 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:

My husband is from Cincinnati. He likes his chili three-way or four-way,
but draws the line at adding the sweet spices. For my part, I don't
see the point of putting chili on spaghetti. I'd rather scoop it
up with corn chips.

You can't tell there's any cocoa, allspice, or clove in here. I used
very little. They modify the flavor of the chili, but you can't
discern the individual spices. Skyline chili is more pronounced in
that department.

I often put cocoa in mine.