Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Do Men Hate Using Coupons?

On 1/13/2018 2:30 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Do men have an aversion to using coupons or discounts for groceries
> and other retailers?

(snipped fun stories)

> I've noticed that men are just really shitty shoppers. What's the
> reasoning behind the stigma for not using coupons or taking advantage
> of the most obvious sales or promotions? I've seen this at all sorts
> of retailers with people (almost always mostly men) insisting on
> paying more or getting less for the same price when the savings are
> offered to them.
>
> -sw

Beats the hell out of me. I've encountered men with lists, obviously
sent to the store by their wives, who are clueless about shopping. (I'm
talking over the course of the last 30 years.) They don't think about
coupons or even getting the best price. They just want to pick up
what's on the list and get the hell out of there. LOL

Last year I was shopping for feta cheese for quiche. There was a man
standing there with a list in his hand. There was a BOGO of Athenos
brand crumbled feta but he just grabbed the first thing he saw on the
shelf. I pointed out the other one was on sale. He was very happy
about that and said his wife would be, too.

I rarely see men who are very enthusiastic about shopping alone, much
less using coupons or taking advantage of BOGO's.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/13/2018 2:30 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> Do men have an aversion to using coupons or discounts for groceries
>> and other retailers?
>>

> (snipped fun stories)
>
>> I've noticed that men are just really shitty shoppers. What's the
>> reasoning behind the stigma for not using coupons or taking advantage
>> of the most obvious sales or promotions? I've seen this at all sorts
>> of retailers with people (almost always mostly men) insisting on
>> paying more or getting less for the same price when the savings are
>> offered to them.
>>
>> -sw
>>

> Beats the hell out of me. I've encountered men with lists, obviously sent
> to the store by their wives, who are clueless about shopping. (I'm
> talking over the course of the last 30 years.) They don't think about
> coupons or even getting the best price. They just want to pick up what's
> on the list and get the hell out of there. LOL
>
> Last year I was shopping for feta cheese for quiche. There was a man
> standing there with a list in his hand. There was a BOGO of Athenos brand
> crumbled feta but he just grabbed the first thing he saw on the shelf. I
> pointed out the other one was on sale. He was very happy about that and
> said his wife would be, too.
>
> I rarely see men who are very enthusiastic about shopping alone, much less
> using coupons or taking advantage of BOGO's.
>
> Jill

My dh hates to shop, but he will do it if pressed. When I was really sick a
week or so ago, I asked him to go to the store to get some strawberries
which were the only thing that sounded good to me. He came back and said
there were no strawberries at Smart food because they didn't come in, to
which I said, you didn't go to another store? He said, you never told me to
go to another store if they didn't have them. Big sigh, I love him dearly,
but geez, really? LOL Now, he does a great deal around here, very helpful,
but just not a shopper or a cook.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/15/2018 12:32 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> Beats the hell out of me.Â* I've encountered men with lists, obviously
> sent to the store by their wives, who are clueless about shopping.Â* (I'm
> talking over the course of the last 30 years.)Â* They don't think about
> coupons or even getting the best price.Â* They just want to pick up
> what's on the list and get the hell out of there. LOL
>
> Last year I was shopping for feta cheese for quiche.Â* There was a man
> standing there with a list in his hand.Â* There was a BOGO of Athenos
> brand crumbled feta but he just grabbed the first thing he saw on the
> shelf.Â* I pointed out the other one was on sale.Â* He was very happy
> about that and said his wife would be, too.
>
> I rarely see men who are very enthusiastic about shopping alone, much
> less using coupons or taking advantage of BOGO's.
>
> Jill

Rarely do I have a list, but sometimes I may go to get a few things for
a specific dish we want to make. The list becomes the goal and yes, it
gives you tunnel vision at times.

There articles always tell you to save money by making a list and
sticking to it. No fun at all. I've gone to the store and would see
something in the "used meat" section and changed plans. That's going to
be dinner.

I don't know how people can make a meal plan for weeks ahead. That
seems so restrictive. Some days we don't decide until it is time to
start cooking something. I imagine most of us here keep enough varied
ingredient to whip up a decent meal on short notice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 10:12:19 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 1/15/2018 12:32 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>

>> Beats the hell out of me.* I've encountered men with lists, obviously
>> sent to the store by their wives, who are clueless about shopping.* (I'm
>> talking over the course of the last 30 years.)* They don't think about
>> coupons or even getting the best price.* They just want to pick up
>> what's on the list and get the hell out of there. LOL
>>
>> Last year I was shopping for feta cheese for quiche.* There was a man
>> standing there with a list in his hand.* There was a BOGO of Athenos
>> brand crumbled feta but he just grabbed the first thing he saw on the
>> shelf.* I pointed out the other one was on sale.* He was very happy
>> about that and said his wife would be, too.
>>
>> I rarely see men who are very enthusiastic about shopping alone, much
>> less using coupons or taking advantage of BOGO's.
>>
>> Jill

>Rarely do I have a list, but sometimes I may go to get a few things for
>a specific dish we want to make. The list becomes the goal and yes, it
>gives you tunnel vision at times.
>
>There articles always tell you to save money by making a list and
>sticking to it. No fun at all. I've gone to the store and would see
>something in the "used meat" section and changed plans. That's going to
>be dinner.
>
>I don't know how people can make a meal plan for weeks ahead. That
>seems so restrictive. Some days we don't decide until it is time to
>start cooking something. I imagine most of us here keep enough varied
>ingredient to whip up a decent meal on short notice.

I always make a list, certainly will vary from it if bargains are
spotted, but they have always said supermarkets hate people with lists

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 00:32:33 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 1/13/2018 2:30 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> Do men have an aversion to using coupons or discounts for groceries
>> and other retailers?
>>

>(snipped fun stories)
>
>> I've noticed that men are just really shitty shoppers. What's the
>> reasoning behind the stigma for not using coupons or taking advantage
>> of the most obvious sales or promotions? I've seen this at all sorts
>> of retailers with people (almost always mostly men) insisting on
>> paying more or getting less for the same price when the savings are
>> offered to them.
>>
>> -sw
>>

>Beats the hell out of me. I've encountered men with lists, obviously
>sent to the store by their wives, who are clueless about shopping. (I'm
>talking over the course of the last 30 years.) They don't think about
>coupons or even getting the best price. They just want to pick up
>what's on the list and get the hell out of there. LOL
>
>Last year I was shopping for feta cheese for quiche. There was a man
>standing there with a list in his hand. There was a BOGO of Athenos
>brand crumbled feta but he just grabbed the first thing he saw on the
>shelf. I pointed out the other one was on sale. He was very happy
>about that and said his wife would be, too.
>
>I rarely see men who are very enthusiastic about shopping alone, much
>less using coupons or taking advantage of BOGO's.
>
>Jill

I see a lot of younger men and older men doing what is obviously their
own shopping and they are just as fussy as women. I notice these guys
because their cart has from scratch items in small quantities,
favorite beer/soft drinks and no frozen or fast food.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Jan 2018 22:00:51 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:
snip

>My dh hates to shop, but he will do it if pressed. When I was really sick a
>week or so ago, I asked him to go to the store to get some strawberries
>which were the only thing that sounded good to me. He came back and said
>there were no strawberries at Smart food because they didn't come in, to
>which I said, you didn't go to another store? He said, you never told me to
>go to another store if they didn't have them. Big sigh, I love him dearly,
>but geez, really? LOL Now, he does a great deal around here, very helpful,
>but just not a shopper or a cook.
>
>Cheri

I've got one of those too ;-)
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I rarely see men who are very enthusiastic about shopping alone, much
> less using coupons or taking advantage of BOGO's.

That's because you don't look for them. I'm one of those men.

I like grocery shopping. I use coupons if a good one for
something that I will buy anyway. I take advantage of the Bogos
and, at my store, you don't have to buy two for that price. Buy
one and it's half price. And I always carry a list too. Don't
want to forget anything.

Clothes shopping is what kills me. I hate that so much..what a
damn chore. I really do need to refresh my wardrobe too but it's
so easy to put off. Buying online wouldn't work because I do like
to try things on first. Depending on brand name, one size might
fit and the same size from another company might not fit.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message

On Sun, 14 Jan 2018 22:00:51 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:
snip

>My dh hates to shop, but he will do it if pressed. When I was really sick a
>week or so ago, I asked him to go to the store to get some strawberries
>which were the only thing that sounded good to me. He came back and said
>there were no strawberries at Smart food because they didn't come in, to
>which I said, you didn't go to another store? He said, you never told me to
>go to another store if they didn't have them. Big sigh, I love him dearly,
>but geez, really? LOL Now, he does a great deal around here, very helpful,
>but just not a shopper or a cook.
>
>Cheri

I've got one of those too ;-)
Janet US
===

Three of us then? )

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/15/2018 11:12 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> I rarely see men who are very enthusiastic about shopping alone, much
>> less using coupons or taking advantage of BOGO's.

> That's because you don't look for them. I'm one of those men.

I rarely pay much attention unless I see some guy alternately looking at
a list and then at the shelf with a sort of dumbfounded look on their
face. The men who don't usually shop are easy to spot.

I cited the guy who was looking for feta cheese. His wife had given him
a list. He stood there for a while, looking puzzled, then just grabbed
a container of it. There was a BOGO right next to it on the shelf. He
thanked me for pointing it out and swapped it for the one he'd picked
up. It was apparent to me he was not at all familiar with grocery
shopping, much less looking for the best price.

I think *everyone* should learn their way around a grocery store. What
happens if that guy's wife dies? (Quick! Marry someone else!) Whether
or not you use coupons or take advantage of BOGO's is an individual
choice. To my way of thinking, why pay more if you don't have to?

> I like grocery shopping. I use coupons if a good one for
> something that I will buy anyway. I take advantage of the Bogos
> and, at my store, you don't have to buy two for that price. Buy
> one and it's half price. And I always carry a list too. Don't
> want to forget anything.

True, you don't have to buy two to get the BOGO deal. I guess some
folks don't realize that. If I need two of whatever, great, if not half
price for one works for me. I shop with a list but if I see something
else I might want I'll buy it. What I hate is when I have a list and
still forget to buy something!

> Clothes shopping is what kills me. I hate that so much..what a
> damn chore. I really do need to refresh my wardrobe too but it's
> so easy to put off. Buying online wouldn't work because I do like
> to try things on first. Depending on brand name, one size might
> fit and the same size from another company might not fit.

Clothing sizes are all over the map. I don't buy a lot of clothes but I
mostly have good luck when I buy online.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 1/15/2018 12:32 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>

> > Beats the hell out of me.Â* I've encountered men with lists,
> > obviously sent to the store by their wives, who are clueless about
> > shopping.Â* (I'm talking over the course of the last 30 years.)Â*
> > They don't think about coupons or even getting the best price.Â*
> > They just want to pick up what's on the list and get the hell out
> > of there. LOL
> >
> > Last year I was shopping for feta cheese for quiche.Â* There was a
> > man standing there with a list in his hand.Â* There was a BOGO of
> > Athenos brand crumbled feta but he just grabbed the first thing he
> > saw on the shelf.Â* I pointed out the other one was on sale.Â* He
> > was very happy about that and said his wife would be, too.
> >
> > I rarely see men who are very enthusiastic about shopping alone,
> > much less using coupons or taking advantage of BOGO's.
> >
> > Jill

> Rarely do I have a list, but sometimes I may go to get a few things
> for a specific dish we want to make. The list becomes the goal and
> yes, it gives you tunnel vision at times.
>
> There articles always tell you to save money by making a list and
> sticking to it. No fun at all. I've gone to the store and would see
> something in the "used meat" section and changed plans. That's going
> to be dinner.
>
> I don't know how people can make a meal plan for weeks ahead. That
> seems so restrictive. Some days we don't decide until it is time to
> start cooking something. I imagine most of us here keep enough
> varied ingredient to whip up a decent meal on short notice.

My only 'list' is what is on sale that week, that we are interested in.
With the basics always around, you can vary the dishes with no problem
if scratch cooking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
>
> On Sun, 14 Jan 2018 22:00:51 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
> snip
>>
>>My dh hates to shop, but he will do it if pressed. When I was really sick
>>week or so ago, I asked him to go to the store to get some strawberries
>>which were the only thing that sounded good to me. He came back and said
>>there were no strawberries at Smart food because they didn't come in, to
>>which I said, you didn't go to another store? He said, you never told me
>>go to another store if they didn't have them. Big sigh, I love him dearly,
>>but geez, really? LOL Now, he does a great deal around here, very helpful,
>>but just not a shopper or a cook.
>>
>>Cheri

> I've got one of those too ;-)
> Janet US
> ===
>
> Three of us then? )

LOL ))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>On Sun, 14 Jan 2018 22:00:51 -0800, "Cheri" >
>wrote:
>snip
>>
>>My dh hates to shop, but he will do it if pressed. When I was really sick a
>>week or so ago, I asked him to go to the store to get some strawberries
>>which were the only thing that sounded good to me. He came back and said
>>there were no strawberries at Smart food because they didn't come in, to
>>which I said, you didn't go to another store? He said, you never told me to
>>go to another store if they didn't have them. Big sigh, I love him dearly,
>>but geez, really? LOL Now, he does a great deal around here, very helpful,
>>but just not a shopper or a cook.

My husband often goes shopping with me (he pushes the buggy) but he is
definitely not a cook. The kitchen is my personal domain.

OTOH, I don't know how to run the lawn mower, and I like it that way.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/15/2018 11:26 AM, Doris Night wrote:
>> On Sun, 14 Jan 2018 22:00:51 -0800, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:
>> snip
>>>
>>> My dh hates to shop, but he will do it if pressed. When I was really sick a
>>> week or so ago, I asked him to go to the store to get some strawberries
>>> which were the only thing that sounded good to me. He came back and said
>>> there were no strawberries at Smart food because they didn't come in, to
>>> which I said, you didn't go to another store? He said, you never told me to
>>> go to another store if they didn't have them. Big sigh, I love him dearly,
>>> but geez, really? LOL Now, he does a great deal around here, very helpful,
>>> but just not a shopper or a cook.

> My husband often goes shopping with me (he pushes the buggy) but he is
> definitely not a cook. The kitchen is my personal domain.
>
> OTOH, I don't know how to run the lawn mower, and I like it that way.
>
> Doris

You got the better end of that deal for sure...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-01-15 8:50 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 00:32:33 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 1/13/2018 2:30 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>>> Do men have an aversion to using coupons or discounts for groceries
>>> and other retailers?
>>>

>> (snipped fun stories)
>>
>>> I've noticed that men are just really shitty shoppers. What's the
>>> reasoning behind the stigma for not using coupons or taking advantage
>>> of the most obvious sales or promotions? I've seen this at all sorts
>>> of retailers with people (almost always mostly men) insisting on
>>> paying more or getting less for the same price when the savings are
>>> offered to them.
>>>
>>> -sw
>>>

>> Beats the hell out of me. I've encountered men with lists, obviously
>> sent to the store by their wives, who are clueless about shopping. (I'm
>> talking over the course of the last 30 years.) They don't think about
>> coupons or even getting the best price. They just want to pick up
>> what's on the list and get the hell out of there. LOL
>>
>> Last year I was shopping for feta cheese for quiche. There was a man
>> standing there with a list in his hand. There was a BOGO of Athenos
>> brand crumbled feta but he just grabbed the first thing he saw on the
>> shelf. I pointed out the other one was on sale. He was very happy
>> about that and said his wife would be, too.
>>
>> I rarely see men who are very enthusiastic about shopping alone, much
>> less using coupons or taking advantage of BOGO's.
>>
>> Jill

> I see a lot of younger men and older men doing what is obviously their
> own shopping and they are just as fussy as women. I notice these guys
> because their cart has from scratch items in small quantities,
> favorite beer/soft drinks and no frozen or fast food.
> Janet US

That pretty well describes me and my cart and I sometimes use coupons
and the recent e-mailed ones from my usual s/mkt that are based on my
recorded shopping habits.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, January 15, 2018 at 9:12:25 AM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Rarely do I have a list, but sometimes I may go to get a few things for
> a specific dish we want to make. The list becomes the goal and yes, it
> gives you tunnel vision at times.

A girl I worked with several years ago went grocery shopping with her
then b/f, later her husband. She said he made killer spaghetti sauce
so off to the store they went. The trip she described was hilarious
as well as head scratching. There were other things on his list but
concentrated first on his 'sketti makings. They went down the aisle
for canned tomatoes, the aisle for pasta, the aisle for onions, then
back to the aisle for tomato paste, back to produce for garlic. She
said they zigzagged their way across the store until she was exhausted.
After they finally finished this comical shopping trip she suggested
to him he should group what he needed together on his list to save
steps.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 12:15:09 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 2018-01-15 8:50 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 00:32:33 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> (snipped fun stories)

>>> Beats the hell out of me. I've encountered men with lists, obviously
>>> sent to the store by their wives, who are clueless about shopping. (I'm
>>> talking over the course of the last 30 years.) They don't think about
>>> coupons or even getting the best price. They just want to pick up
>>> what's on the list and get the hell out of there. LOL
>>>
>>> Last year I was shopping for feta cheese for quiche. There was a man
>>> standing there with a list in his hand. There was a BOGO of Athenos
>>> brand crumbled feta but he just grabbed the first thing he saw on the
>>> shelf. I pointed out the other one was on sale. He was very happy
>>> about that and said his wife would be, too.
>>>
>>> I rarely see men who are very enthusiastic about shopping alone, much
>>> less using coupons or taking advantage of BOGO's.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I see a lot of younger men and older men doing what is obviously their
>> own shopping and they are just as fussy as women. I notice these guys
>> because their cart has from scratch items in small quantities,
>> favorite beer/soft drinks and no frozen or fast food.
>> Janet US
>>

>That pretty well describes me and my cart and I sometimes use coupons
>and the recent e-mailed ones from my usual s/mkt that are based on my
>recorded shopping habits.

I keep coupons from fast food places for a 'just in case' situation.
The only ones I use are Blimpies and Jack in the Box because they are
on the way to or from something. Generally I have a handbag full of
expired coupons.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-01-15 1:30 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>> That pretty well describes me and my cart and I sometimes use coupons
>> and the recent e-mailed ones from my usual s/mkt that are based on my
>> recorded shopping habits.

> I keep coupons from fast food places for a 'just in case' situation.
> The only ones I use are Blimpies and Jack in the Box because they are
> on the way to or from something. Generally I have a handbag full of
> expired coupons.
> Janet US

I always keep the A&W coupon pamphlet because I take my grandchildren
there when we go shopping together. It's also handy when I travel to BC
and break my journey at an A&W.
Coffee at McDonald's or Starbucks though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-01-15 2:32 PM, wrote:
> On Monday, January 15, 2018 at 9:12:25 AM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> A girl I worked with several years ago went grocery shopping with her
> then b/f, later her husband. She said he made killer spaghetti sauce
> so off to the store they went. The trip she described was hilarious
> as well as head scratching. There were other things on his list but
> concentrated first on his 'sketti makings. They went down the aisle
> for canned tomatoes, the aisle for pasta, the aisle for onions, then
> back to the aisle for tomato paste, back to produce for garlic. She
> said they zigzagged their way across the store until she was exhausted.
> After they finally finished this comical shopping trip she suggested
> to him he should group what he needed together on his list to save
> steps.

My late BiL was an engineer. Read anally oriented. He had close to
scale maps of the floor plans of the local grocery stores and the
locations of various products. Shopping was a major job for him. He
would scour the weekly fliers to see what was on sale at each of the
stores and make up his shopping list(s), which involved the items that
he was going to buy in each store and listed in the order that he would
find them by efficiently walking up and down the aisles from one side
of the store to another so that everything could be picked up in an
orderly fashion, without backtracking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-01-15 4:11 PM, graham wrote:
> On 2018-01-15 1:30 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> I always keep the A&W coupon pamphlet because I take my grandchildren
> there when we go shopping together. It's also handy when I travel to BC
> and break my journey at an A&W.
> Coffee at McDonald's or Starbucks though.

My wife just told me about a coupon for one of my favourite
restaurants. Buy one entree and get another for free. I intend to use
that one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 11:22:52 -0400, wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 10:12:19 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>>On 1/15/2018 12:32 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>>

>>> Beats the hell out of me.* I've encountered men with lists, obviously
>>> sent to the store by their wives, who are clueless about shopping.* (I'm
>>> talking over the course of the last 30 years.)* They don't think about
>>> coupons or even getting the best price.* They just want to pick up
>>> what's on the list and get the hell out of there. LOL
>>>
>>> Last year I was shopping for feta cheese for quiche.* There was a man
>>> standing there with a list in his hand.* There was a BOGO of Athenos
>>> brand crumbled feta but he just grabbed the first thing he saw on the
>>> shelf.* I pointed out the other one was on sale.* He was very happy
>>> about that and said his wife would be, too.
>>>
>>> I rarely see men who are very enthusiastic about shopping alone, much
>>> less using coupons or taking advantage of BOGO's.
>>>
>>> Jill

>>Rarely do I have a list, but sometimes I may go to get a few things for
>>a specific dish we want to make. The list becomes the goal and yes, it
>>gives you tunnel vision at times.
>>
>>There articles always tell you to save money by making a list and
>>sticking to it. No fun at all. I've gone to the store and would see
>>something in the "used meat" section and changed plans. That's going to
>>be dinner.
>>
>>I don't know how people can make a meal plan for weeks ahead. That
>>seems so restrictive. Some days we don't decide until it is time to
>>start cooking something. I imagine most of us here keep enough varied
>>ingredient to whip up a decent meal on short notice.

>I always make a list, certainly will vary from it if bargains are
>spotted, but they have always said supermarkets hate people with lists

I always shop with a list but it's for sale items and for filling in
the the larder like I'm running low on corn starch and things I spot
that are a good buy and or are something we would like... ice cream is
never on the list but it may jump into my cart.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/15/2018 12:15 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> I rarely pay much attention unless I see some guy alternately looking at
> a list and then at the shelf with a sort of dumbfounded look on their
> face. Â* The men who don't usually shop are easy to spot.

I don't notice people much unless they're in my way. Today I wanted
meat loaf mix and there was one young guy somehow blocking the whole
ground meat section. Good trick. That's why I noticed he was taking
pictures and sending them on his phone. I guess he hadn't gotten
clearer instructions beyond get ground beef and there were a lot of
choices.

Now that I think about it, maybe he was looking for mixed meat because
I found it in a separate refrigerated section as it was on sale.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> >On Sun, 14 Jan 2018 22:00:51 -0800, "Cheri" >
>>wrote:
>>snip
>>>
>>>My dh hates to shop, but he will do it if pressed. When I was really sick
>>>week or so ago, I asked him to go to the store to get some strawberries
>>>which were the only thing that sounded good to me. He came back and said
>>>there were no strawberries at Smart food because they didn't come in, to
>>>which I said, you didn't go to another store? He said, you never told me
>>>go to another store if they didn't have them. Big sigh, I love him
>>>dearly,
>>>but geez, really? LOL Now, he does a great deal around here, very
>>>helpful,
>>>but just not a shopper or a cook.

> My husband often goes shopping with me (he pushes the buggy) but he is
> definitely not a cook. The kitchen is my personal domain.
>
> OTOH, I don't know how to run the lawn mower, and I like it that way.
>
> Doris

Well, I do know how to run the lawn mower and did the back yard for many
years when he worked a lot of hours in the day, but I don't do that anymore
at all. He does all the yard work, leaf raking etc., plus he walks the dog,
grooms her, and takes care of things around the house, it works out well for
us. I don't like to take him shopping with me because he wanders and I have
to track him down when leaving. ha ha Good thing he has so many other nice
traits.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
news
> That pretty well describes me and my cart and I sometimes use coupons and
> the recent e-mailed ones from my usual s/mkt that are based on my recorded
> shopping habits.

Yes, I like the supermarkets that tailor them to you and easy just to add
them online. Very handy.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, January 15, 2018 at 4:51:32 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-01-15 2:32 PM, wrote:
> > On Monday, January 15, 2018 at 9:12:25 AM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> > A girl I worked with several years ago went grocery shopping with her
> > then b/f, later her husband. She said he made killer spaghetti sauce
> > so off to the store they went. The trip she described was hilarious
> > as well as head scratching. There were other things on his list but
> > concentrated first on his 'sketti makings. They went down the aisle
> > for canned tomatoes, the aisle for pasta, the aisle for onions, then
> > back to the aisle for tomato paste, back to produce for garlic. She
> > said they zigzagged their way across the store until she was exhausted.
> > After they finally finished this comical shopping trip she suggested
> > to him he should group what he needed together on his list to save
> > steps.

> My late BiL was an engineer. Read anally oriented. He had close to
> scale maps of the floor plans of the local grocery stores and the
> locations of various products. Shopping was a major job for him. He
> would scour the weekly fliers to see what was on sale at each of the
> stores and make up his shopping list(s), which involved the items that
> he was going to buy in each store and listed in the order that he would
> find them by efficiently walking up and down the aisles from one side
> of the store to another so that everything could be picked up in an
> orderly fashion, without backtracking.

I'm about half as OCD as him. I shop one store (for the most part):
my time is worth quite a bit to me), and my shopping list is laid out in the
order that I find things in the store. Things we buy frequently are printed
right on the list; there's extra space for occasional purchases.
I print a dozen of them and post them on the fridge. As we use stuff
up, or think of things we want to buy, we mark the list.

If my "one store" doesn't have something, I schedule a trip a couple
days later to a different store. Today I'm going to Whole Paycheck
for radishes, a cucumber, and the olive oil that my husband has taken
a fancy to. (Cue Sheldon's offensive sexual remark.)

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 03:14:00 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, January 15, 2018 at 4:51:32 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2018-01-15 2:32 PM, wrote:
>> > On Monday, January 15, 2018 at 9:12:25 AM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> > A girl I worked with several years ago went grocery shopping with her
>> > then b/f, later her husband. She said he made killer spaghetti sauce
>> > so off to the store they went. The trip she described was hilarious
>> > as well as head scratching. There were other things on his list but
>> > concentrated first on his 'sketti makings. They went down the aisle
>> > for canned tomatoes, the aisle for pasta, the aisle for onions, then
>> > back to the aisle for tomato paste, back to produce for garlic. She
>> > said they zigzagged their way across the store until she was exhausted.
>> > After they finally finished this comical shopping trip she suggested
>> > to him he should group what he needed together on his list to save
>> > steps.

>> My late BiL was an engineer. Read anally oriented. He had close to
>> scale maps of the floor plans of the local grocery stores and the
>> locations of various products. Shopping was a major job for him. He
>> would scour the weekly fliers to see what was on sale at each of the
>> stores and make up his shopping list(s), which involved the items that
>> he was going to buy in each store and listed in the order that he would
>> find them by efficiently walking up and down the aisles from one side
>> of the store to another so that everything could be picked up in an
>> orderly fashion, without backtracking.

>I'm about half as OCD as him. I shop one store (for the most part):
>my time is worth quite a bit to me), and my shopping list is laid out in the
>order that I find things in the store. Things we buy frequently are printed
>right on the list; there's extra space for occasional purchases.
>I print a dozen of them and post them on the fridge. As we use stuff
>up, or think of things we want to buy, we mark the list.
>
>If my "one store" doesn't have something, I schedule a trip a couple
>days later to a different store. Today I'm going to Whole Paycheck
>for radishes, a cucumber, and the olive oil that my husband has taken
>a fancy to. (Cue Sheldon's offensive sexual remark.)

Huh?