Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner Tonight, ****ghetti n' Saw-Seege

Enough for tomorrow, and made up six quarts of sauce for the freezer.
The magic ingredient is a Tbsp of crushed fennel seeds... slow cooked
all day... rained all last night and raining all today... I may never
get ahead of the mowing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Enough for tomorrow, and made up six quarts of sauce for the freezer.
> The magic ingredient is a Tbsp of crushed fennel seeds... slow cooked
> all day... rained all last night and raining all today... I may never
> get ahead of the mowing.

I'm not cooking. Am on a med. that is making me feel like crap, and I had to
go run a bunch of errands with some teens. They seemed to be munching their
way through every city we went through so they don't want dinner. Central
Market had samples of pork and blackberry jam. I heard it was good, but I
didn't try.

Bought some steaks to cook for tomorrow and got husband some prepared Thai
and Indian food. Got salad bar for myself later. Just little dabs of this
and that. The med is killing my appetite. Will probably eat a couple of
strawberries too if any are ready.

I am happy that I stopped. Had gone specifically to get more of a certain
kind of sorbet that was on sale. Of course they were out of the flavor that
I wanted. But they did have the Brewla bars that I wanted on sale for about
half the normal price. I can normally only get one box at a time if they
have any at all. Got two today.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 8:36:35 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 7/16/2017 9:01 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>
> > I do add something you hate to
> > spaghetti sauce. Shredded zucchini.
> >
> > Jill

> I don't like zucchini either but could probably tolerate some in the
> sauce. The strong flavor would hide it.
>
> Same here, but I'd eat it if it were disguised in 'sketti'

sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 19:44:53 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 8:36:35 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> On 7/16/2017 9:01 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> > I do add something you hate to
>> > spaghetti sauce. Shredded zucchini.
>> >
>> > Jill

>> I don't like zucchini either but could probably tolerate some in the
>> sauce. The strong flavor would hide it.
>>
>> Same here, but I'd eat it if it were disguised in 'sketti'
>> sauce.

There's almost no less offensive tasting food item than zucchini,
except maybe water. Y'all have the undeveloped tastebuds of 3 year
olds.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 10:53:50 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 19:44:53 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:

> >> I don't like zucchini either but could probably tolerate some in the
> >> sauce. The strong flavor would hide it.
> >>
> >> Same here, but I'd eat it if it were disguised in 'sketti'
> >> sauce.

> There's almost no less offensive tasting food item than zucchini,
> except maybe water. Y'all have the undeveloped tastebuds of 3 year
> olds.

You're correct, it is offensive and bland. Even gussied up and
grilled it's worthless.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 21:05:59 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 10:53:50 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

>Y'all have the undeveloped tastebuds of 3 year olds.
>>

>You're correct, it is offensive and bland. Even gussied up and
>grilled it's worthless.

Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 19:44:53 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:

>>> I don't like zucchini either but could probably tolerate some in the
>>> sauce. The strong flavor would hide it.
>>>
>>> Same here, but I'd eat it if it were disguised in 'sketti'
>>> sauce.

> There's almost no less offensive tasting food item than zucchini,
> except maybe water. Y'all have the undeveloped tastebuds of 3 year
> olds.

I am neutral on it. Former SIL made stuffed zucchini and that was good. I
usually put it in my lasagna, soups and meatloaf. And there is a restaurant
here that does it as a vegetable medley. I do love that. Also has baby
carrots, red onions, bell peppers and way too much pepper. Cooked until
crisp tender.

I wouldn't go out of my way for it but I don't find it bad tasting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 12:47:38 AM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 21:05:59 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 10:53:50 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> >Y'all have the undeveloped tastebuds of 3 year olds.
> >>

> >You're correct, it is offensive and bland. Even gussied up and
> >grilled it's worthless.

> Thanks.

You're welcome.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/16/2017 9:01 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> Whine Boatwright wrote:
>> There's nohing "magic" about crushed fennel seed, but it does taste
>> good.
>>

> Sure. But I don't want the easily overwhelming taste of fennel (tastes
> like black licorice) in spaghetti sauce. I do add something you hate to
> spaghetti sauce. Shredded zucchini.

I once (actually several times) made a large dish of lasagna using my
regular recipe but substituting long thin slices of zucchini in place of
the pasta. It's very good and others that I gave some too agreed and
asked for my recipe.

NO recipe though...just use your favorite lasagna recipe and use
zucchini instead of the pasta.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/17/2017 1:48 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I am neutral on it. Former SIL made stuffed zucchini and that was good.
> I usually put it in my lasagna, soups and meatloaf. And there is a
> restaurant here that does it as a vegetable medley. I do love that. Also
> has baby carrots, red onions, bell peppers and way too much pepper.
> Cooked until crisp tender.
>
> I wouldn't go out of my way for it but I don't find it bad tasting.

Funny too how so many people grow way too much of it then bitch about
it. I like zucchini fine but I don't grow it and the store always
charges way too much for it....like $1.69 a pound. yeah right.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 8:40:43 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> On 7/17/2017 1:48 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > I am neutral on it. Former SIL made stuffed zucchini and that was good.
> > I usually put it in my lasagna, soups and meatloaf. And there is a
> > restaurant here that does it as a vegetable medley. I do love that. Also
> > has baby carrots, red onions, bell peppers and way too much pepper.
> > Cooked until crisp tender.
> >
> > I wouldn't go out of my way for it but I don't find it bad tasting.

> Funny too how so many people grow way too much of it then bitch about
> it. I like zucchini fine but I don't grow it and the store always
> charges way too much for it....like $1.69 a pound. yeah right.

It costs them roughly as much to sell zucchini as any
other vegetable. It takes up space, someone has to stock
it on the "shelf", it's moderately perishable so there's always
waste, etc. Happily, zucchini isn't very dense, so you get
quite a bit for your $1.69/pound.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 7:40:43 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

> Funny too how so many people grow way too much of it then bitch about
> it.

A few years ago my brother and sister-in-law had a garden and they
brought me 2 or 3 yellow crook neck squash and a half dozen more
of those zukes. They wanted to bring me more and I told them no
more of the zucchini as I don't like it and gave away what they
gave me.

I gave the offensive squash to my next door neighbor and a few days
later he invited two other neighbors and me for a cookout. He was
cleaning out his fridge as he was going to be away for about two
weeks. What is on the menu? Zucchini boats! I choked mine down.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 19:44:53 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 8:36:35 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> On 7/16/2017 9:01 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> > I do add something you hate to
>> > spaghetti sauce. Shredded zucchini.
>> >
>> > Jill

>> I don't like zucchini either but could probably tolerate some in the
>> sauce. The strong flavor would hide it.
>>
>> Same here, but I'd eat it if it were disguised in 'sketti'

>sauce.

Zukes haven't much flavor, they're really a textural thing, I like
them al dente. Zukes are the tofu of the veggie world, they take on
whatever flavors they're cooked with. I already prepared the first
three smallish ones from the garden; sliced into large dice and
simmered in a bit of seasoned chicken broth with a pat of butter, was
very good. The garden is doing very well so far, blossoms galore..
soon lots of tomatoes and cukes. Planted a row of corn this year,
already 3' high.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 13:53:28 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 19:44:53 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>>> I don't like zucchini either but could probably tolerate some in the
>>> sauce. The strong flavor would hide it.
>>>
>>> Same here, but I'd eat it if it were disguised in 'sketti'
>>> sauce.

>There's almost no less offensive tasting food item than zucchini,
>except maybe water. Y'all have the undeveloped tastebuds of 3 year
>olds.

Zucchini is so bland may as well say it's flavorless, it's more about
texture and how seasoned. Most people over cook zukes until they are
a slimey mush.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/17/2017 7:19 AM, Gary wrote:
> On 7/16/2017 9:01 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> Whine Boatwright wrote:
>>> There's nohing "magic" about crushed fennel seed, but it does taste
>>> good.
>>>

>> Sure. But I don't want the easily overwhelming taste of fennel (tastes
>> like black licorice) in spaghetti sauce. I do add something you hate to
>> spaghetti sauce. Shredded zucchini.

> I once (actually several times) made a large dish of lasagna using my
> regular recipe but substituting long thin slices of zucchini in place of
> the pasta. It's very good and others that I gave some too agreed and
> asked for my recipe.
>
> NO recipe though...just use your favorite lasagna recipe and use
> zucchini instead of the pasta.

I've heard of this, of course, but what prevents it from turning out
rather watery?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 06:11:42 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 8:40:43 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>> On 7/17/2017 1:48 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > I am neutral on it. Former SIL made stuffed zucchini and that was good.
>> > I usually put it in my lasagna, soups and meatloaf. And there is a
>> > restaurant here that does it as a vegetable medley. I do love that. Also
>> > has baby carrots, red onions, bell peppers and way too much pepper.
>> > Cooked until crisp tender.
>> >
>> > I wouldn't go out of my way for it but I don't find it bad tasting.

>> Funny too how so many people grow way too much of it then bitch about
>> it. I like zucchini fine but I don't grow it and the store always
>> charges way too much for it....like $1.69 a pound. yeah right.

>It costs them roughly as much to sell zucchini as any
>other vegetable. It takes up space, someone has to stock
>it on the "shelf", it's moderately perishable so there's always
>waste, etc. Happily, zucchini isn't very dense, so you get
>quite a bit for your $1.69/pound.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

However a pound of zucchini is 15 ounces of water... the same as most
produce. I don't remember ever buying zucchini, I've always grown my
own.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 11:43:29 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 06:11:42 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >> Funny too how so many people grow way too much of it then bitch about
> >> it. I like zucchini fine but I don't grow it and the store always
> >> charges way too much for it....like $1.69 a pound. yeah right.

> >It costs them roughly as much to sell zucchini as any
> >other vegetable. It takes up space, someone has to stock
> >it on the "shelf", it's moderately perishable so there's always
> >waste, etc. Happily, zucchini isn't very dense, so you get
> >quite a bit for your $1.69/pound.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> However a pound of zucchini is 15 ounces of water... the same as most
> produce. I don't remember ever buying zucchini, I've always grown my
> own.

Perhaps the ones I get at the grocery store are somewhat dried
out. They certainly don't feel like their S.G. is anywhere near
1.0.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message
news
> On 7/17/2017 1:48 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I am neutral on it. Former SIL made stuffed zucchini and that was good.
>> I usually put it in my lasagna, soups and meatloaf. And there is a
>> restaurant here that does it as a vegetable medley. I do love that. Also
>> has baby carrots, red onions, bell peppers and way too much pepper.
>> Cooked until crisp tender.
>>
>> I wouldn't go out of my way for it but I don't find it bad tasting.

> Funny too how so many people grow way too much of it then bitch about it.
> I like zucchini fine but I don't grow it and the store always charges way
> too much for it....like $1.69 a pound. yeah right.

It grows well here. Which is why I don't grow it. I don't need to because
chances are, someone else will give me some. I used to say the same for
lettuce but this year my lettuce has been super slow growing. We've only had
salad from it twice so far. I think zucchini is usually 99 cents a pound
here. Perhaps less at Winco. If I do buy it, I buy small ones. Just one or
two at a time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> On 7/17/2017 7:19 AM, Gary wrote:
>>>>
>>> Sure. But I don't want the easily overwhelming taste of fennel (tastes
>>> like black licorice) in spaghetti sauce. I do add something you hate to
>>> spaghetti sauce. Shredded zucchini.

>> I once (actually several times) made a large dish of lasagna using my
>> regular recipe but substituting long thin slices of zucchini in place of
>> the pasta. It's very good and others that I gave some too agreed and
>> asked for my recipe.
>>
>> NO recipe though...just use your favorite lasagna recipe and use
>> zucchini instead of the pasta.
>>

> I've heard of this, of course, but what prevents it from turning out
> rather watery?

I generally just put a layer in mine. Less pasta but I still use some. Never
comes out watery. I have used it raw or sautéed it first.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 13:53:28 +1000, Bruce >
> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 19:44:53 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>>There's almost no less offensive tasting food item than zucchini,
>>except maybe water. Y'all have the undeveloped tastebuds of 3 year
>>olds.

> Zucchini is so bland may as well say it's flavorless, it's more about
> texture and how seasoned. Most people over cook zukes until they are
> a slimey mush.

It's good when eaten raw too. I made a pasta salad that called for it that
way. Also good with hummus. I prefer it over cucumber. I can live without
cucumber unless it's made into a pickle.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 13:53:28 +1000, Bruce >

Zucchini is so bland may as well say it's flavorless, it's more about
texture and how seasoned. Most people over cook zukes until they are
a slimey mush.

==

I turn mine into 'zoodles' ie I spiralise them with carrots and then I cook
leeks and mushrooms with them ... and of course plenty of seasoning.

D loves them like that and I serve them as a side to whatever meat etc I am
serving.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 13:53:28 +1000, Bruce >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 19:44:53 -0700 (PDT),

> > > There's almost no less offensive tasting food item than zucchini,
> > > except maybe water. Y'all have the undeveloped tastebuds of 3 year
> > > olds.

> > Zucchini is so bland may as well say it's flavorless, it's more
> > about texture and how seasoned. Most people over cook zukes until
> > they are a slimey mush.

> It's good when eaten raw too. I made a pasta salad that called for it
> that way. Also good with hummus. I prefer it over cucumber. I can
> live without cucumber unless it's made into a pickle.

I like them raw too, added to a salad or sliced and dredged through a
salad dressing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 20:00:43 -0400, wrote:
>
>> Young zukes have no seeds... I pick em at 6", perfect for yoose gals.

> Heh. Sheldon thinks 6" is perfect.

It is if you know what to do with it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/17/2017 11:31 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 20:00:43 -0400, wrote:
>>
>>> Young zukes have no seeds... I pick em at 6", perfect for yoose gals.

>> Heh. Sheldon thinks 6" is perfect.

> It is if you know what to do with it.

Welcome to the **** club! Just complete the registration
form and urine!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/17/2017 6:48 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 08:23:25 -0700, Taxed and Spent wrote:
>
>> On 7/17/2017 8:00 AM, wrote:
>>
>>> Zucchini is so bland may as well say it's flavorless, it's more about
>>> texture and how seasoned. Most people over cook zukes until they are
>>> a slimey mush.

>> I find that scraping out the seeds before cooking solves much of the
>> mushiness problem.

> I cut them about almost an inch thick and sear them hot and fast so
> they're juicy and still crisp, but don't have that raw taste.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/

That looks pretty.

> And I exclusively use yellow squash.
>
> -sw

IHO, the texture of zucchini and yellow squash is basically the same.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 18, 2017 at 9:52:49 PM UTC-5, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> To me there's a world of difference between yellow squash and
> zucchini in both texture and flavor, and I don't have a prejudice
> against green vegetables. :-) I especially do not like the flavor
> of zucchini regardless of how it's cooked.

AMEN!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/19/2017 5:49 AM, Bruce wrote:
> But I just harrassed Wayne a bit. Does that mean he's now also part of
> the special chosen few?

Whine thinks he is since he was here forever and just quit for 3 years.
He's not special to me as he killfiles many here. Better that he just
move on if he wants to eliminate half of this group. He complains about
everyone. Just go away.

Why should us killfile ppl spend time writing to help him when he won't
even read it. An asshat for sure, imo. Steve is right on this one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 08:23:35 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>On 7/19/2017 5:49 AM, Bruce wrote:
>> But I just harrassed Wayne a bit. Does that mean he's now also part of
>> the special chosen few?

>Whine thinks he is since he was here forever and just quit for 3 years.
>He's not special to me as he killfiles many here. Better that he just
>move on if he wants to eliminate half of this group. He complains about
>everyone. Just go away.
>
>Why should us killfile ppl spend time writing to help him when he won't
>even read it. An asshat for sure, imo. Steve is right on this one.

Well, he does make enemies at high speed. It took me much longer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-19 8:48 AM, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 08:23:35 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>> Why should us killfile ppl spend time writing to help him when he won't
>> even read it. An asshat for sure, imo. Steve is right on this one.

> Well, he does make enemies at high speed. It took me much longer.

Yeah. You are like the tortoise and the hare.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/19/2017 9:02 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-07-19 8:48 AM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 08:23:35 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>>> Why should us killfile ppl spend time writing to help him when he won't
>>> even read it. An asshat for sure, imo. Steve is right on this one.

>> Well, he does make enemies at high speed. It took me much longer.

> Yeah. You are like the tortoise and the hare.

and don't forget who won that race.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-19 9:11 AM, Gary wrote:
> On 7/19/2017 9:02 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Well, he does make enemies at high speed. It took me much longer.

>> Yeah. You are like the tortoise and the hare.
>>

> and don't forget who won that race.

Congratulations. You cracked the code.