Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Here's how to make pickles the easy way

link is to a short video
https://www.usatoday.com/videos/tech...way/103503098/

I'll try it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/12/2017 11:33 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 23:28:46 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> link is to a short video
>> https://www.usatoday.com/videos/tech...way/103503098/
>>
>> I'll try it.

> The recipe is missing salt. Without salt there will be no osmosis
> action for the brine to penetrate into the pickles. They'll absorb
> some of the brine, but not much. Salt is also required for flavor.
>
> -sw

how can it be "brine" without salt?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 01:33:16 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 23:28:46 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> link is to a short video
>> https://www.usatoday.com/videos/tech...way/103503098/
>>
>> I'll try it.

>The recipe is missing salt. Without salt there will be no osmosis
>action for the brine to penetrate into the pickles. They'll absorb
>some of the brine, but not much. Salt is also required for flavor.
>
>-sw

1 1/2 tablespoons coarse salt isn't enough in this recipe?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 00:07:12 -0700, Taxed and Spent
> wrote:

>On 7/12/2017 11:33 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 23:28:46 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>>> link is to a short video
>>> https://www.usatoday.com/videos/tech...way/103503098/
>>>
>>> I'll try it.

>> The recipe is missing salt. Without salt there will be no osmosis
>> action for the brine to penetrate into the pickles. They'll absorb
>> some of the brine, but not much. Salt is also required for flavor.
>>
>> -sw
>>

>how can it be "brine" without salt?

1 1/2 tablespoons of salt isn't enough?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 12:30:47 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 07:32:37 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 01:33:16 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>>The recipe is missing salt. Without salt there will be no osmosis
>>>action for the brine to penetrate into the pickles. They'll absorb
>>>some of the brine, but not much. Salt is also required for flavor.

>> 1 1/2 tablespoons coarse salt isn't enough in this recipe?

>No fair! They just added that part after I had already watched it a
>few times!
>
>Seriously though, my video player under Internet Explorer (wouldn't
>play in Firefox) is skipping parts of the video. Something is maxing
>out my CPU load and it's dropping parts of the video.
>
>The first time I watched it I thought I saw them add sugar - and I was
>going to complain about that (yuk!). But then when I watched it again
>2 more times to see how much sugar there was, it didn't show any sugar
>(or the salt right after that).
>
>So my mistake. Carry on! But without the sugar, IMO. Unless you add
>fresh horseradish, too.
>
>-sw

I could add some fresh horseradish. I'll give you a pass because the
first time I saw it there was a portion of sugar added. That didn't
bother me because one of the favorite dill-ish pickles from my mother
did have a small amount of sugar but they were spicy -- I loved them.
I thought the recipe would be good because of the source.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 19:27:42 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 12:27:29 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 12:30:47 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>So my mistake. Carry on! But without the sugar, IMO. Unless you add
>>>fresh horseradish, too.
>>>

>> I could add some fresh horseradish. I'll give you a pass because the
>> first time I saw it there was a portion of sugar added. That didn't
>> bother me because one of the favorite dill-ish pickles from my mother
>> did have a small amount of sugar but they were spicy -- I loved them.
>> I thought the recipe would be good because of the source.

>I make sweet and spicy pickles with either habanero sauce or fresh
>horseradish (but never both). I cheat and use store-bought B&B
>pickles. That's the only way I can stand (and actually love) the
>sweet cucumber pickles. I just made a 40oz jar of spiced horseradish
>baby beets - also slightly sweet. With clove, bay leaf, allspice,
>assorted peppercorns, and mustard seed.
>
>-sw

are you using a piece of horseradish root in the jar?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 21:53:54 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 20:19:41 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 19:27:42 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I make sweet and spicy pickles with either habanero sauce or fresh
>>>horseradish (but never both). I cheat and use store-bought B&B
>>>pickles. That's the only way I can stand (and actually love) the
>>>sweet cucumber pickles. I just made a 40oz jar of spiced horseradish
>>>baby beets - also slightly sweet. With clove, bay leaf, allspice,
>>>assorted peppercorns, and mustard seed.

>> are you using a piece of horseradish root in the jar?

>You have to grate horseradish for the heat and flavor to release
>itself. Grate 1-2 TBS then mix with a few drops of water to make a
>paste. LET IT SIT FOR 4 (mild) to 6 (hot) MINUTES. Then add it to
>the pickle solution containing vinegar to fix the heat level. If you
>don't fix the heat/flavor within 10-12 minutes (by mixing with vinegar
>or other acid), the horseradish will be next to useless. Similarly,
>slicing horseradish is next to useless as well. You need to break the
>cells open.
>
>-sw

I thought that maybe cutting some sticks of horseradish root to place
in the jar would work. I'll trust you on this. I did know and use
the timing on my horseradish each fall. Thanks for the tips.
I've got my own cucumbers that I will pickle throughout the late
summer and fall. I used to buy a bushel of cucumbers each year and
can pickles all at once but we don't use that many any more. I
planted some tiny cucumbers this year. I haven't made the pickles
that have cauliflower, green tomatoes, tiny pickles and whole small
onions and turmeric ( bet I could put a couple of my smaller
jalapeno's in the jar) in years. I'm looking forward to that.
Janet US

How To Make Nutella At Home very easy Cooking7g General Cooking 6 01-08-2015 06:26 PM
Peanut Butter and Pickles Make the NYT Tara General Cooking 10 24-10-2012 03:00 AM
Easy to make snacks Dipsee Recipes 0 31-10-2006 08:49 AM
Easy to make Pancakes [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 20-04-2006 03:15 AM
Help need easy recipe to make for my family Kerry General Cooking 21 12-02-2005 01:55 PM