Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Iowna's day

Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sat, 20 May 2017 16:23:27 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> >> sniffy: having or expressing a haughty attitude

> > LOL, blind dog, 'sniffy' as they can't see with their eyes, they see
> > with their noses and sniff everything. You'd have to walk a blind
> > dog to understand a sniffy walk maybe. They will dig in with their
> > feet and try to drag you to the next part of the yard that smells
> > interesting.

> Oh, I get it.

> >> beeline: to go quickly in a straight direct course

> > Once she caught that scent? Hell Yes!

> >> cage: to drive (a puck, a shot, etc.) into a cage and score a goal
> >>
> >> (https://www.merriam-webster.com)

> > Grin, well she thinks she scored with her 1/2 hot dog! (Don't worry,
> > they gifted it to Iowna, she's too short to counter surf)

> Good on her

Yup! She's happy and sleeping on one of the cat beds right now. She
had a hard but happy day, getting petted by various kids.

At one time she was the only blind dog on the block but now with
education, there are 2 more who were not put down by silly folks who
thought blind dogs had no quality of life.

It may be a very small victory, but the kids here now don't think it's
particularily odd to see an eyeless dog, wagging it's tail and trying
to drag the walker into their yard after a fasinating new scent..
Because almost everyone has dogs (cats and dogs in mixed sets really
common), this little microcosm of Americana can be pretty cool.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-21 10:39 AM, cshenk wrote:

> At one time she was the only blind dog on the block but now with
> education, there are 2 more who were not put down by silly folks who
> thought blind dogs had no quality of life.

I don't know how blind our last dog was because he adapted do well to
it. There were times on his walks when he appeared not to see us, and he
became oblivious to all the little creatures he used to chase. We
noticed that when he was walking he stuck to the trails and walked along
the edge and we realized he was orienting by the contrasting shades and
colours.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2017-05-21 10:39 AM, cshenk wrote:
>
> > At one time she was the only blind dog on the block but now with
> > education, there are 2 more who were not put down by silly folks who
> > thought blind dogs had no quality of life.

> I don't know how blind our last dog was because he adapted do well to
> it. There were times on his walks when he appeared not to see us, and
> he became oblivious to all the little creatures he used to chase. We
> noticed that when he was walking he stuck to the trails and walked
> along the edge and we realized he was orienting by the contrasting
> shades and colours.
>

> ---

Hi Dave, He was probably low vision there. While most dogs and people
do not go blind, he may have had what I am told is PRA. That is
generally genetic and affects the peripheral vision then leads to
'light/dark' only.

I am sorry that happened to your loved 'puppy' (all dogs are puppies
forever to me, and Iowna is my 15yo puppy). I missed all the pain of
having a dog go blind. Iowna was blind 2 years before I found and
adopted her. It's been only joy at having fun with her for me.