Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner tonight.... 2017/04/30

Lamb shanks. I am going to braise them in dark beer. I imagine we will
have garlic mashed potatoes with them. I am not sure about the vegetable
yet. Asparagus is in season. I am not sure it will go well with braised
lamb, but I can't imagine fresh asparagus not being good.

I went out this morning and pulled some rhubarb and made a pie.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 12:14:55 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> Lamb shanks. I am going to braise them in dark beer. I imagine we will
> have garlic mashed potatoes with them. I am not sure about the vegetable
> yet. Asparagus is in season. I am not sure it will go well with braised
> lamb, but I can't imagine fresh asparagus not being good.
>
> I went out this morning and pulled some rhubarb and made a pie.

Thanks for the reminder. We're having grilled chicken tonight, and
I've got some asparagus in the fridge. Looks like it'll be grilled
asparagus, too.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/30/2017 12:15 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> I went out this morning and pulled some rhubarb and made a pie.

I never understood why rhubarb even exists. I see strawberry rhubarb pie
a lot. To me, it is like Gary having a good steak and glass of wine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-04-30 8:41 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 4/30/2017 12:15 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> I went out this morning and pulled some rhubarb and made a pie.

> I never understood why rhubarb even exists. I see strawberry rhubarb pie
> a lot. To me, it is like Gary having a good steak and glass of wine.

I understand that a lot of people don't like rhubarb. My wife is one of
them. I love it. My parents loved it. I have three brothers and we all
love it. A few years ago my nephew came to visit and we made a rhubarb
coffee cake. Their then three year old son was excited that we were
going to have cake. Oh,the look on his face when he bit into that cake
and tasted the rhubarb.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 20:41:13 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 4/30/2017 12:15 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> I went out this morning and pulled some rhubarb and made a pie.

>I never understood why rhubarb even exists. I see strawberry rhubarb pie
>a lot. To me, it is like Gary having a good steak and glass of wine.

when I was a kid, my mother never made anything with rhubarb even
though we had a huge plant in the garden. I grew up pulling a stalk
and sprinkling it with salt to eat out in the back yard with my
friends.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-01, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> I never understood why rhubarb even exists.

I cannot accurately answer that question.

Prolly cuz I have zero clue. I recall my grandmother making rhubarb
pie and myself eating it and being amazed at how I lived through it to
eventually extol my grandmother's efforts. I suspect my grandmother's
rhubarb pies had literally "pounds" of sugar in 'em.

BTW, "Bones" did an episode where one of the "interns" used rhubarb to
"clean" the bones of a victim. Claimed rhubarb had a whole lotta
"oxalic" acid, which did .....I ferget. Here, read this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhubarb

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 2:41:23 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 4/30/2017 12:15 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>
> > I went out this morning and pulled some rhubarb and made a pie.

> I never understood why rhubarb even exists. I see strawberry rhubarb pie
> a lot. To me, it is like Gary having a good steak and glass of wine.

My father-in-law loved strawberry rhubarb pie. We used to get it for him. I've always wondered what the infamous rhubarb tasted like. The weird thing is that I don't believe I've ever had any. Something always distracted me and I never got a chance. I'll make it a point that when I see one, I gonna bite down on it. I mean really bite down hard! Unfortunately, I haven't seen one of those since the old man died.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 20:41:13 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 4/30/2017 12:15 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> I went out this morning and pulled some rhubarb and made a pie.

>I never understood why rhubarb even exists. I see strawberry rhubarb pie
>a lot. To me, it is like Gary having a good steak and glass of wine.

I never understand taking a vegetable and adding so much sugar to it
that it becomes a sweet. Rhubarb pie, carrot cake. Next will be
lettuce muffins.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 11:39:56 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 20:41:13 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
> >On 4/30/2017 12:15 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> >
> >> I went out this morning and pulled some rhubarb and made a pie.

> >I never understood why rhubarb even exists. I see strawberry rhubarb pie
> >a lot. To me, it is like Gary having a good steak and glass of wine.

> I never understand taking a vegetable and adding so much sugar to it
> that it becomes a sweet. Rhubarb pie, carrot cake. Next will be
> lettuce muffins.

Sauerkraut cake. Here's a random recipe:

<http://allrecipes.com/recipe/8081/german-chocolate-sauerkraut-cake/>

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-04-30 11:03 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2017-05-01, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> I never understood why rhubarb even exists.

> I cannot accurately answer that question.
>
> Prolly cuz I have zero clue. I recall my grandmother making rhubarb
> pie and myself eating it and being amazed at how I lived through it to
> eventually extol my grandmother's efforts. I suspect my grandmother's
> rhubarb pies had literally "pounds" of sugar in 'em.

There is no more sugar in rhubarb than there is in other fruit pies.
That might mean less total sugar because there is so little natural
sugar in the stalks.

I made a rhubarb pie last night and it was great. Even my wife liked
it, and she is not a fan of rhubarb.

> BTW, "Bones" did an episode where one of the "interns" used rhubarb to
> "clean" the bones of a victim. Claimed rhubarb had a whole lotta
> "oxalic" acid, which did .....I ferget. Here, read this:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhubarb
>
> nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-04-30 11:13 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> My father-in-law loved strawberry rhubarb pie. We used to get it for
> him. I've always wondered what the infamous rhubarb tasted like. The
> weird thing is that I don't believe I've ever had any. Something
> always distracted me and I never got a chance. I'll make it a point
> that when I see one, I gonna bite down on it. I mean really bite down
> hard! Unfortunately, I haven't seen one of those since the old man
> died.

As much as I like rhubarb, I have never been keen on strawberry rhubarb
pies. I am not all that crazy about cooked strawberries and consider it
to be a waste of good berries and a waste of good rhubarb. I love the
tartness of the rhubarb. When I was a kid we would pluck it out of the
garden and eat it raw, sometimes dipped in sugar but usually not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-01 6:24 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 11:39:56 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

a lot. To me, it is like Gary having a good steak and glass of wine.

>> I never understand taking a vegetable and adding so much sugar to it
>> that it becomes a sweet. Rhubarb pie, carrot cake. Next will be
>> lettuce muffins.

> Sauerkraut cake. Here's a random recipe:
>
> <http://allrecipes.com/recipe/8081/german-chocolate-sauerkraut-cake/>

The late wife of a friend of mine used to make a German chocolate
sauerkraut cake. It was delicious. The kraut could have passed for coconut.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 4:32:16 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-04-30 11:13 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>
> > My father-in-law loved strawberry rhubarb pie. We used to get it for
> > him. I've always wondered what the infamous rhubarb tasted like. The
> > weird thing is that I don't believe I've ever had any. Something
> > always distracted me and I never got a chance. I'll make it a point
> > that when I see one, I gonna bite down on it. I mean really bite down
> > hard! Unfortunately, I haven't seen one of those since the old man
> > died.

> As much as I like rhubarb, I have never been keen on strawberry rhubarb
> pies. I am not all that crazy about cooked strawberries and consider it
> to be a waste of good berries and a waste of good rhubarb. I love the
> tartness of the rhubarb. When I was a kid we would pluck it out of the
> garden and eat it raw, sometimes dipped in sugar but usually not.

It's interesting stuff - looks like celery but it's red. How bad could the taste be? We eat green mango and bitter melon so this should be a walk in the park.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/30/2017 10:06 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 20:41:13 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> On 4/30/2017 12:15 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>>> I went out this morning and pulled some rhubarb and made a pie.

>> I never understood why rhubarb even exists. I see strawberry rhubarb pie
>> a lot. To me, it is like Gary having a good steak and glass of wine.

> when I was a kid, my mother never made anything with rhubarb even
> though we had a huge plant in the garden. I grew up pulling a stalk
> and sprinkling it with salt to eat out in the back yard with my
> friends.
> Janet US

When I was a kid, my great (great?) aunt (in Pennsylvania) had rhubarb
growing in her kitchen garden. She offered a stalk, freshly picked,
washed and sprinkled with salt to us to taste.

To me, it looked too much like reddish-purple celery. I already knew I
did not like raw celery. I politely declined. (My brother tried it and
loved it.) At any rate, first impressions linger. I did not taste the
raw rhubarb. (My brother loved it.)

I have still never tasted rhubarb. And since I don't make pies and
don't like raw vegetables, I don't see any reason to ever taste it. I
don't think I'm depriving myself of anything special.

In any post about rhubarb, however, it seems as if lots of sugar and
often strawberries are involved. Pies. If rhubarb needs all that
stuff, is it really all that great? I'll never find out. YMMV.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-03 7:59 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 4/30/2017 10:06 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> When I was a kid, my great (great?) aunt (in Pennsylvania) had rhubarb
> growing in her kitchen garden. She offered a stalk, freshly picked,
> washed and sprinkled with salt to us to taste.
>
> To me, it looked too much like reddish-purple celery. I already knew I
> did not like raw celery. I politely declined. (My brother tried it and
> loved it.) At any rate, first impressions linger. I did not taste the
> raw rhubarb. (My brother loved it.)

When I was a kid my parents had rhubarb plants in the garden and we used
to munch on it straight out of the garden.... no sugar.

> I have still never tasted rhubarb. And since I don't make pies and
> don't like raw vegetables, I don't see any reason to ever taste it. I
> don't think I'm depriving myself of anything special.

You will never know.

> In any post about rhubarb, however, it seems as if lots of sugar and
> often strawberries are involved. Pies. If rhubarb needs all that
> stuff, is it really all that great? I'll never find out. YMMV.

There is no more sugar in any other fruit pie than there is in rhubarb
pie. You need the sugar and starch to make the filling set. Rhubarb
maintains that tart quality that makes it so good.... for those who like
it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 May 2017 03:24:10 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 11:39:56 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

>> >I never understood why rhubarb even exists. I see strawberry rhubarb pie
>> >a lot. To me, it is like Gary having a good steak and glass of wine.

>> I never understand taking a vegetable and adding so much sugar to it
>> that it becomes a sweet. Rhubarb pie, carrot cake. Next will be
>> lettuce muffins.

>Sauerkraut cake. Here's a random recipe:
>
><http://allrecipes.com/recipe/8081/german-chocolate-sauerkraut-cake/>

Lol, that's another one. More sugar than sauerkraut. My teeth are
falling out just reading it
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 May 2017 10:29:24 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-04-30 11:03 PM, notbob wrote:
>> On 2017-05-01, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>>
>>> I never understood why rhubarb even exists.

>> I cannot accurately answer that question.
>>
>> Prolly cuz I have zero clue. I recall my grandmother making rhubarb
>> pie and myself eating it and being amazed at how I lived through it to
>> eventually extol my grandmother's efforts. I suspect my grandmother's
>> rhubarb pies had literally "pounds" of sugar in 'em.

>There is no more sugar in rhubarb than there is in other fruit pies.
>That might mean less total sugar because there is so little natural
>sugar in the stalks.
>
>I made a rhubarb pie last night and it was great. Even my wife liked
>it, and she is not a fan of rhubarb.

How much sugar and how much rhubarb did go in?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 May 2017 10:53:43 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 4:32:16 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2017-04-30 11:13 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> > My father-in-law loved strawberry rhubarb pie. We used to get it for
>> > him. I've always wondered what the infamous rhubarb tasted like. The
>> > weird thing is that I don't believe I've ever had any. Something
>> > always distracted me and I never got a chance. I'll make it a point
>> > that when I see one, I gonna bite down on it. I mean really bite down
>> > hard! Unfortunately, I haven't seen one of those since the old man
>> > died.

>> As much as I like rhubarb, I have never been keen on strawberry rhubarb
>> pies. I am not all that crazy about cooked strawberries and consider it
>> to be a waste of good berries and a waste of good rhubarb. I love the
>> tartness of the rhubarb. When I was a kid we would pluck it out of the
>> garden and eat it raw, sometimes dipped in sugar but usually not.

>It's interesting stuff - looks like celery but it's red. How bad could the taste be? We eat green mango and bitter melon so this should be a walk in the park.

Bitter melon is hard to eat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 May 2017 06:29:38 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Wed 03 May 2017 10:43:19p, Bruce told us...
>

>Not to mention Red Beet Chocolate Cake.
>
>http://www.food.com/recipe/red-beet-chocolate-cake-7883

Yes: 1.5 cups of sugar and 1-1.5 cups of beet. Let's make something
with beetroot, but make sure we can't taste it. Seems strange to me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-04 2:05 AM, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 1 May 2017 10:29:24 -0400, Dave Smith

>> There is no more sugar in rhubarb than there is in other fruit pies.
>> That might mean less total sugar because there is so little natural
>> sugar in the stalks.
>>
>> I made a rhubarb pie last night and it was great. Even my wife liked
>> it, and she is not a fan of rhubarb.

> How much sugar and how much rhubarb did go in?

I use enough chopped rhubarb to fill the pie pan and 3/4 cup of sugar,
the same amount I would use for peaches or cherries.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> On 4/30/2017 10:06 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> >> I never understood why rhubarb even exists. I see strawberry rhubarb pie
> >> a lot. To me, it is like Gary having a good steak and glass of wine.

> > when I was a kid, my mother never made anything with rhubarb even
> > though we had a huge plant in the garden. I grew up pulling a stalk
> > and sprinkling it with salt to eat out in the back yard with my
> > friends.
> > Janet US
> >

> When I was a kid, my great (great?) aunt (in Pennsylvania) had rhubarb
> growing in her kitchen garden. She offered a stalk, freshly picked,
> washed and sprinkled with salt to us to taste.
>
> To me, it looked too much like reddish-purple celery. I already knew I
> did not like raw celery. I politely declined. (My brother tried it and
> loved it.) At any rate, first impressions linger. I did not taste the
> raw rhubarb. (My brother loved it.)
>
> I have still never tasted rhubarb. And since I don't make pies and
> don't like raw vegetables, I don't see any reason to ever taste it. I
> don't think I'm depriving myself of anything special.
>
> In any post about rhubarb, however, it seems as if lots of sugar and
> often strawberries are involved. Pies. If rhubarb needs all that
> stuff, is it really all that great? I'll never find out. YMMV.

Remember, a nun hearing sexual intercourse described, probably
thinks "Phew, am I glad I never tried that; sounds horrible".

Janet UK (enjoys both)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 7:59:12 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
> On 4/30/2017 10:06 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> >> I never understood why rhubarb even exists. I see strawberry rhubarb pie
> >> a lot. To me, it is like Gary having a good steak and glass of wine.

> > when I was a kid, my mother never made anything with rhubarb even
> > though we had a huge plant in the garden. I grew up pulling a stalk
> > and sprinkling it with salt to eat out in the back yard with my
> > friends.
> > Janet US
> >

> When I was a kid, my great (great?) aunt (in Pennsylvania) had rhubarb
> growing in her kitchen garden. She offered a stalk, freshly picked,
> washed and sprinkled with salt to us to taste.
>
> To me, it looked too much like reddish-purple celery. I already knew I
> did not like raw celery. I politely declined. (My brother tried it and
> loved it.) At any rate, first impressions linger. I did not taste the
> raw rhubarb. (My brother loved it.)
>
> I have still never tasted rhubarb. And since I don't make pies and
> don't like raw vegetables, I don't see any reason to ever taste it. I
> don't think I'm depriving myself of anything special.
>
> In any post about rhubarb, however, it seems as if lots of sugar and
> often strawberries are involved. Pies. If rhubarb needs all that
> stuff, is it really all that great? I'll never find out. YMMV.
>
> Jill

History. Rhubarb appears before any fruit is ripe. People were
jonesing for fruit. Sweetened rhubarb filled that desire.

It is very sour. I liked to eat it plain when I was a kid.
I'm not all that crazy about rhubarb pie, compote, pudding, etc.
nowadays.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 4 May 2017 08:30:11 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-05-04 2:05 AM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Mon, 1 May 2017 10:29:24 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> There is no more sugar in rhubarb than there is in other fruit pies.
>>> That might mean less total sugar because there is so little natural
>>> sugar in the stalks.
>>>
>>> I made a rhubarb pie last night and it was great. Even my wife liked
>>> it, and she is not a fan of rhubarb.

>> How much sugar and how much rhubarb did go in?
>>

>I use enough chopped rhubarb to fill the pie pan and 3/4 cup of sugar,
>the same amount I would use for peaches or cherries.

That's a lot of sugar, but at least sounds less than the rhubarb.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 05 May 2017 02:25:19 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Thu, 4 May 2017 08:30:11 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>>On 2017-05-04 2:05 AM, Bruce wrote:
>>> On Mon, 1 May 2017 10:29:24 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> How much sugar and how much rhubarb did go in?
>>>

>>I use enough chopped rhubarb to fill the pie pan and 3/4 cup of sugar,
>>the same amount I would use for peaches or cherries.

>That's a lot of sugar, but at least sounds less than the rhubarb.

Most pies contain a lot of sugar... if you don't want to consume a lot
of sugar don't eat pie. One way to cut down on sugar intake is to
replace all or some of the granulated sugar with honey... by weight
honey has twice the sweetening power of granulated sugar. You'd
probably need to experiment to your taste.
http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/250...ed-cherry-pie/
---
Grape Pie (Welch's)

4 Cups Concord grapes
3/4 C granulated sugar
1 1/2 TBS. lemon juice
1-2 TBS. quick tapioca

Slip grapes from skins. Save skins.
Cook pulp until seeds loosen. Press through sieve.
Mix pulp, skins and remaining ingredients.
Let stand 5-10 minutes. Pour into UNBAKED pie shell,
top with second crust and bake. Pie will be done when
it is bubbling in the center (takes 45-60 minutes to bake).

(Special notes: Start pie at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
Reduce heat to 350. Vent top crust well since this pie
tends to bubble over because of the high sugar content.
You may want to put a piece of aluminum foil in the bottom
of the oven to catch any spills.)

Concord Grape Pie (anon)

pastry for single crust pie
1 1/2 lbs. concord grapes (4 cups)
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 t. salt
2 T. butter or margarine melted
1 T. lemon juice
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter or margarine

Prepare and roll out pastry into a 12 inch circle. Line a 9 inch pie
plate and flute edge. Do not prick pastry. Slip skins from grapes
and set skins aside. In saucepan bring grape pulp to a boil. Reduce
the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Sieve to remove seeds. Add
skins to pulp. Combine 3/4 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, and the salt.
Stir in the butter, lemon juice and grape mixture. Pour into pastry
shell. To prevent over browning cover edge of pie with tinfoil. Bake
in 375 degrees for 20 -25 minutes. Mean while combine 1/2 cup flour
and 1/2 cup sugar. Cut in 1/4 cup butter until crumbly. Remove foil
from pie. Sprinkle crumbs mixture over pie. Bake about 25 minutes
more.
---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-04 2:21 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 04 May 2017 05:30:11a, Dave Smith told us...
>
>> On 2017-05-04 2:05 AM, Bruce wrote:
>>> On Mon, 1 May 2017 10:29:24 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> How much sugar and how much rhubarb did go in?
>>>

>> I use enough chopped rhubarb to fill the pie pan and 3/4 cup of
>> sugar, the same amount I would use for peaches or cherries.
>>

> What size pie pan? I bake most of my fruite pies in a 10" deep dish
> glass pie pan. 3/4 cup (or a bit more) of sugar would make that abouat
> right.

I use either a 9" tin or a 10" glass pan. That takes about 4 cups of
chopped rhubarb and 3/4 cup of sugar with 3 Tbsp of minute tapioca
creates a filling that sets up nicely.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-04 2:22 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 04 May 2017 06:13:36a, Janet told us...
>
>> In article >,
>> says...

>>> When I was a kid, my great (great?) aunt (in Pennsylvania) had
>>> rhubarb growing in her kitchen garden. She offered a stalk,
>>> freshly picked, washed and sprinkled with salt to us to taste.
>>>
>>> To me, it looked too much like reddish-purple celery. I already
>>> knew I did not like raw celery. I politely declined. (My
>>> brother tried it and loved it.) At any rate, first impressions
>>> linger. I did not taste the raw rhubarb. (My brother loved it.)
>>>
>>> I have still never tasted rhubarb. And since I don't make pies
>>> and don't like raw vegetables, I don't see any reason to ever
>>> taste it. I don't think I'm depriving myself of anything
>>> special.
>>>
>>> In any post about rhubarb, however, it seems as if lots of sugar
>>> and often strawberries are involved. Pies. If rhubarb needs all
>>> that stuff, is it really all that great? I'll never find out.
>>> YMMV.
>>>

>> Remember, a nun hearing sexual intercourse described, probably
>> thinks "Phew, am I glad I never tried that; sounds horrible".
>>
>> Janet UK (enjoys both)
>>

> Sexual intercourse with sugar? :-)

Like the expression that was popular in the 70s ...Candy is dandy but
sex won't rot your teeth.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-04 3:34 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 04 May 2017 12:22:00p, Dave Smith told us...
>
>> I use either a 9" tin or a 10" glass pan. That takes about 4 cups
>> of chopped rhubarb and 3/4 cup of sugar with 3 Tbsp of minute
>> tapioca creates a filling that sets up nicely.
>>

> That sounds about right to me! I like using minute tapioca for many
> fruit fillings. Sometimes I grind the tapioca to a powder before
> mixing with the sugar just in case a paticular filling isn't as juicy
> as I would like. It seems to mingoe better in those cases.

I have been getting my minute tapioca at the Bulk Barn. It was the only
kind of tapioca they carried. I went in to get some a couple days ago
and they don't carry it any more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-04 5:20 PM, wrote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...en-1.4098889On Thu, 4 May 2017 16:48:49 -0400, Dave Smith > wrote:

>> On 2017-05-04 3:34 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Thu 04 May 2017 12:22:00p, Dave Smith told us...

>>> That sounds about right to me! I like using minute tapioca for many
>>> fruit fillings. Sometimes I grind the tapioca to a powder before
>>> mixing with the sugar just in case a paticular filling isn't as juicy
>>> as I would like. It seems to mingoe better in those cases.
>>>

>> I have been getting my minute tapioca at the Bulk Barn. It was the only
>> kind of tapioca they carried. I went in to get some a couple days ago
>> and they don't carry it any more.

> We can buy it here in Sobeys - try there.

I am pretty sure I can get it in just about any grocery store. It was
much cheaper to buy it in the Bulk Barn.