Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Risotto ??

Ok, plain (white, brown, etc.) rice is one thing. Then, risotto is
another ... at least that's what I understand. So . . . never before
have I eaten risotto. Many times I've watched on TV how risotto is made
and have also read many recipes. But when at home, is risotto worth the
effort and time it takes to make? Is it truly so very different than
'regular' (white) rice?

Sky

================================
Kitchen Rule #1 - Use the timer!
Kitchen Rule #2 - Cook's choice!
================================

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/14/2017 11:18 PM, Sky wrote:
> Ok, plain (white, brown, etc.) rice is one thing. Then, risotto is
> another ... at least that's what I understand. So . . . never before
> have I eaten risotto. Many times I've watched on TV how risotto is made
> and have also read many recipes. But when at home, is risotto worth the
> effort and time it takes to make? Is it truly so very different than
> 'regular' (white) rice?
>
> Sky

IMO it is. I also add things to it. For the liquid I use half chicken
stock, half white wine. Heated of course. I start by putting some
onion in the pan until translucent, then add the rice. When almost
cooked (18 to 20 minutes) I stir in the grated cheese. Often I add peas
or mushroom, or green beans, whatever.

I'm not a fan of plain white rice but enjoy risotto.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-02-14 11:18 PM, Sky wrote:
> Ok, plain (white, brown, etc.) rice is one thing. Then, risotto is
> another ... at least that's what I understand. So . . . never before
> have I eaten risotto. Many times I've watched on TV how risotto is made
> and have also read many recipes. But when at home, is risotto worth the
> effort and time it takes to make? Is it truly so very different than
> 'regular' (white) rice?

I have never cooked it at home because my wife limits carbs and I don't
expect that the special texture to extend to leftovers. I have had it in
restaurants a couple times and it was great. In fact, the shrimp risotto
I had in an Italian restaurant in California last year made me re-think
my attitude about Italian restaurants.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 11:18:55 PM UTC-5, Sky wrote:
> Ok, plain (white, brown, etc.) rice is one thing. Then, risotto is
> another ... at least that's what I understand. So . . . never before
> have I eaten risotto. Many times I've watched on TV how risotto is made
> and have also read many recipes. But when at home, is risotto worth the
> effort and time it takes to make? Is it truly so very different than
> 'regular' (white) rice?

It's very wet. I can't say as I care for it, but I'm a
little weird in that I prefer white rice without anything
in or on it.

I've seen recipes that claim you don't have to do all
of that stirring. Here's one:
<http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/03/how-to-make-risotto-alla-milanese.html>

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 7:19:08 AM UTC-8, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 11:18:55 PM UTC-5, Sky wrote:
> > Ok, plain (white, brown, etc.) rice is one thing. Then, risotto is
> > another ... at least that's what I understand. So . . . never before
> > have I eaten risotto. Many times I've watched on TV how risotto is made
> > and have also read many recipes. But when at home, is risotto worth the
> > effort and time it takes to make? Is it truly so very different than
> > 'regular' (white) rice?

> It's very wet. I can't say as I care for it, but I'm a
> little weird in that I prefer white rice without anything
> in or on it.
>
> I've seen recipes that claim you don't have to do all
> of that stirring. Here's one:
> <http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/03/how-to-make-risotto-alla-milanese.html>
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I love risotto. I do it rarely because I limit carbs as well. But this is my favorite. The flavors are to die for and you don't have to stand over the pot the entire time. I always serve this one with rack of lamb.

http://hizzoners.com/index.php/recip...squash-risotto

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 09:31:45 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-02-14 11:18 PM, Sky wrote:
>> Ok, plain (white, brown, etc.) rice is one thing. Then, risotto is
>> another ... at least that's what I understand. So . . . never before
>> have I eaten risotto. Many times I've watched on TV how risotto is made
>> and have also read many recipes. But when at home, is risotto worth the
>> effort and time it takes to make? Is it truly so very different than
>> 'regular' (white) rice?
>>

>I have never cooked it at home because my wife limits carbs and I don't
>expect that the special texture to extend to leftovers. I have had it in
>restaurants a couple times and it was great. In fact, the shrimp risotto
>I had in an Italian restaurant in California last year made me re-think
>my attitude about Italian restaurants.

One good dish and you love them, one bad dish and you hate them? Do
you work like that?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> One good dish and you love them, one bad dish and you hate them? Do
> you work like that?

Do you really live in Australia?
What did you do with Jebus?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 12:31:13 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> One good dish and you love them, one bad dish and you hate them? Do
>> you work like that?

>Do you really live in Australia?

Why would you doubt that? I've got to live somewhere.

>What did you do with Jebus?

I don't know. Doesn't he fall of the radar occasionally and come back
again?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2/14/2017 11:18 PM, Sky wrote:
> > Ok, plain (white, brown, etc.) rice is one thing. Then, risotto is
> > another ... at least that's what I understand. So . . . never
> > before have I eaten risotto. Many times I've watched on TV how
> > risotto is made and have also read many recipes. But when at home,
> > is risotto worth the effort and time it takes to make? Is it truly
> > so very different than 'regular' (white) rice?
> >
> > Sky

> IMO it is. I also add things to it. For the liquid I use half
> chicken stock, half white wine. Heated of course. I start by
> putting some onion in the pan until translucent, then add the rice.
> When almost cooked (18 to 20 minutes) I stir in the grated cheese.
> Often I add peas or mushroom, or green beans, whatever.
>
> I'm not a fan of plain white rice but enjoy risotto.

Risotto has always reminded me of Juk/Congee/Japan 'Rice Porridge'.
Although not the same (at all) it has a similar 'kitchen sink' sort of
feel to it. Wetter of course, and generally a sort of thick stew, has
to be served in a bowl.

Freehanded recipe, here's what we had for dinner on Sunday:

1.5 C rice (medium grain, California calrose)
5 cups bone broth (chicken)
1/2 ts dashi powder
1/2 C King Oyster mushroom
1/2 C kelp ties (normally less but these needed using up)
1/4 C peeled shrimp (little ones, chopped)
1/8 C chopped squid tentacles
1.5 inch chopped cooked frozen octopus
3x3 inch block of firm tofu, sliced to small squares
1/4 C shredded carrot
6 oz pack of frozen New Zealand mussels
1 C fresh mustard greens (cooks to 1/4 C)
6 ea chopped fresh green beans (leftovers, needed using up)
2 ea yellow mini 'stop light' bell peppers
1 ea Orange mini 'stop light' bell pepper
2 ea Green onion bottoms, minced
1/4 C trimmed green leek tops, cut pretty at an angle
3 EA eggs (One per bowl, cracked raw to cook in the rest)

I know, that's not Risotto! But it is a fun 'kitchen sink' sort of
cookery where most of the above were the bits of leftovers from the
fridge/freezer here. Somehow, risotto reminds me of this with all it's
various little bits of 'this and that' that the recipes vary with.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:
> Ok, plain (white, brown, etc.) rice is one thing. Then, risotto is
> another ... at least that's what I understand. So . . . never before
> have I eaten risotto. Many times I've watched on TV how risotto is made
> and have also read many recipes. But when at home, is risotto worth the
> effort and time it takes to make? Is it truly so very different than
> 'regular' (white) rice?
>
> Sky

Don't think of an elephant. Dissociate white rice from risotto.

Mario Batali turned me on to cooking it -- here's what he says:

http://www.mariobatali.com/up-your-risotto-game/

my experience eating risotto is that it gives me a nice warm feeling

it can't be reheated -- for leftovers make risotto cakes

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017, Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2017-02-14 11:18 PM, Sky wrote:
>> Ok, plain (white, brown, etc.) rice is one thing. Then, risotto is
>> another ... at least that's what I understand. So . . . never before
>> have I eaten risotto. Many times I've watched on TV how risotto is made
>> and have also read many recipes. But when at home, is risotto worth the
>> effort and time it takes to make? Is it truly so very different than
>> 'regular' (white) rice?
>>

> I have never cooked it at home because my wife limits carbs and I don't
> expect that the special texture to extend to leftovers. I have had it in
> restaurants a couple times and it was great. In fact, the shrimp risotto I
> had in an Italian restaurant in California last year made me re-think my
> attitude about Italian restaurants.

Risotto, when done well, can border on sublime.

In a pinch, I've picked up frozen risotto from the Trader Joe's, and it's
acceptable.
Basically, the rice used (arborio or carnaroli, usually) absorbs liquid
but maintains its shape, not turning to mush. Kind of an al dente thing.

But it bears no resemblance to white or brown "regular" rice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-02-15 1:25 PM, barbie gee wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Feb 2017, Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> On 2017-02-14 11:18 PM, Sky wrote:
>>> Ok, plain (white, brown, etc.) rice is one thing. Then, risotto is
>>> another ... at least that's what I understand. So . . . never before
>>> have I eaten risotto. Many times I've watched on TV how risotto is made
>>> and have also read many recipes. But when at home, is risotto worth the
>>> effort and time it takes to make? Is it truly so very different than
>>> 'regular' (white) rice?
>>>

>> I have never cooked it at home because my wife limits carbs and I
>> don't expect that the special texture to extend to leftovers. I have
>> had it in restaurants a couple times and it was great. In fact, the
>> shrimp risotto I had in an Italian restaurant in California last year
>> made me re-think my attitude about Italian restaurants.
>>

> Risotto, when done well, can border on sublime.
>
> In a pinch, I've picked up frozen risotto from the Trader Joe's, and
> it's acceptable.
> Basically, the rice used (arborio or carnaroli, usually) absorbs liquid
> but maintains its shape, not turning to mush. Kind of an al dente thing.
>
> But it bears no resemblance to white or brown "regular" rice.

I was served a risotto made with long grain rice in an Italian
restaurant no less! I would have sent it back but I wasn't paying so it
would have embarrassed my host.
I should have been warned when the server called it "rizoatoh"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 8:04:19 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > On 2/14/2017 11:18 PM, Sky wrote:
> > > Ok, plain (white, brown, etc.) rice is one thing. Then, risotto is
> > > another ... at least that's what I understand. So . . . never
> > > before have I eaten risotto. Many times I've watched on TV how
> > > risotto is made and have also read many recipes. But when at home,
> > > is risotto worth the effort and time it takes to make? Is it truly
> > > so very different than 'regular' (white) rice?
> > >
> > > Sky

> > IMO it is. I also add things to it. For the liquid I use half
> > chicken stock, half white wine. Heated of course. I start by
> > putting some onion in the pan until translucent, then add the rice.
> > When almost cooked (18 to 20 minutes) I stir in the grated cheese.
> > Often I add peas or mushroom, or green beans, whatever.
> >
> > I'm not a fan of plain white rice but enjoy risotto.

> Risotto has always reminded me of Juk/Congee/Japan 'Rice Porridge'.
> Although not the same (at all) it has a similar 'kitchen sink' sort of
> feel to it. Wetter of course, and generally a sort of thick stew, has
> to be served in a bowl.
>
> Freehanded recipe, here's what we had for dinner on Sunday:
>
> 1.5 C rice (medium grain, California calrose)
> 5 cups bone broth (chicken)
> 1/2 ts dashi powder
> 1/2 C King Oyster mushroom
> 1/2 C kelp ties (normally less but these needed using up)
> 1/4 C peeled shrimp (little ones, chopped)
> 1/8 C chopped squid tentacles
> 1.5 inch chopped cooked frozen octopus
> 3x3 inch block of firm tofu, sliced to small squares
> 1/4 C shredded carrot
> 6 oz pack of frozen New Zealand mussels
> 1 C fresh mustard greens (cooks to 1/4 C)
> 6 ea chopped fresh green beans (leftovers, needed using up)
> 2 ea yellow mini 'stop light' bell peppers
> 1 ea Orange mini 'stop light' bell pepper
> 2 ea Green onion bottoms, minced
> 1/4 C trimmed green leek tops, cut pretty at an angle
> 3 EA eggs (One per bowl, cracked raw to cook in the rest)
>
> I know, that's not Risotto! But it is a fun 'kitchen sink' sort of
> cookery where most of the above were the bits of leftovers from the
> fridge/freezer here. Somehow, risotto reminds me of this with all it's
> various little bits of 'this and that' that the recipes vary with.
>
> --

You might like nishime. The old folks around here really crave this comfort food item. I never really much cared for it but I would usually see it at family gathering - especially new years. This is the Hawaii style nishime. It is different from Japan nishime.

http://mmm-yoso.typepad.com/mmmyoso/...1/nishime.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-02-15 3:25 PM, barbie gee wrote:

>> I have never cooked it at home because my wife limits carbs and I
>> don't expect that the special texture to extend to leftovers. I have
>> had it in restaurants a couple times and it was great. In fact, the
>> shrimp risotto I had in an Italian restaurant in California last year
>> made me re-think my attitude about Italian restaurants.
>>

> Risotto, when done well, can border on sublime.
>
> In a pinch, I've picked up frozen risotto from the Trader Joe's, and
> it's acceptable.
> Basically, the rice used (arborio or carnaroli, usually) absorbs liquid
> but maintains its shape, not turning to mush. Kind of an al dente thing.
>
> But it bears no resemblance to white or brown "regular" rice.

I always have arborio rice on hand, but I use it for rice pudding. I use
a recipe from a Greek cookbook. You first boil the rice for a few
minutes in a bit of water. The add scalded milk and simmer for about 20
minutes with some sugar stirring frequently. Beat a couple whole eggs
and temper them before adding to the hot mixture. Raisins are optional
at this point. Cook over med low heat for 15-20 minutes stirring
constantly until it thickens. It is a labour of love and it is delicious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-02-15 3:38 PM, graham wrote:

> I was served a risotto made with long grain rice in an Italian
> restaurant no less! I would have sent it back but I wasn't paying so it
> would have embarrassed my host.
> I should have been warned when the server called it "rizoatoh"

That doesn't sound out of line for Italian restaurants. A lot of
Italian food is basically simple stuff made with great ingredients. When
it is made with second rate ingredients it doesn't work. Most of the
Italian restaurants around here have shakers of factory style
parmesan,and their mozerello often comes pre-grated.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 15:52:39 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-02-15 3:38 PM, graham wrote:
>
>> I was served a risotto made with long grain rice in an Italian
>> restaurant no less! I would have sent it back but I wasn't paying so it
>> would have embarrassed my host.
>> I should have been warned when the server called it "rizoatoh"

>That doesn't sound out of line for Italian restaurants. A lot of
>Italian food is basically simple stuff made with great ingredients.

Yes, Italian cuisine is French cuisine for dummies.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 8:04:19 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> > Ed Pawlowski wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > IMO it is. I also add things to it. For the liquid I use half
> > > chicken stock, half white wine. Heated of course. I start by
> > > putting some onion in the pan until translucent, then add the
> > > rice. When almost cooked (18 to 20 minutes) I stir in the grated
> > > cheese. Often I add peas or mushroom, or green beans, whatever.
> > >
> > > I'm not a fan of plain white rice but enjoy risotto.

> > Risotto has always reminded me of Juk/Congee/Japan 'Rice Porridge'.
> > Although not the same (at all) it has a similar 'kitchen sink' sort
> > of feel to it. Wetter of course, and generally a sort of thick
> > stew, has to be served in a bowl.
> >
> > Freehanded recipe, here's what we had for dinner on Sunday:
> >
> > 1.5 C rice (medium grain, California calrose)
> > 5 cups bone broth (chicken)
> > 1/2 ts dashi powder
> > 1/2 C King Oyster mushroom
> > 1/2 C kelp ties (normally less but these needed using up)
> > 1/4 C peeled shrimp (little ones, chopped)
> > 1/8 C chopped squid tentacles
> > 1.5 inch chopped cooked frozen octopus
> > 3x3 inch block of firm tofu, sliced to small squares
> > 1/4 C shredded carrot
> > 6 oz pack of frozen New Zealand mussels
> > 1 C fresh mustard greens (cooks to 1/4 C)
> > 6 ea chopped fresh green beans (leftovers, needed using up)
> > 2 ea yellow mini 'stop light' bell peppers
> > 1 ea Orange mini 'stop light' bell pepper
> > 2 ea Green onion bottoms, minced
> > 1/4 C trimmed green leek tops, cut pretty at an angle
> > 3 EA eggs (One per bowl, cracked raw to cook in the rest)
> >
> > I know, that's not Risotto! But it is a fun 'kitchen sink' sort of
> > cookery where most of the above were the bits of leftovers from the
> > fridge/freezer here. Somehow, risotto reminds me of this with all
> > it's various little bits of 'this and that' that the recipes vary
> > with.
> >
> > --

> You might like nishime. The old folks around here really crave this
> comfort food item. I never really much cared for it but I would
> usually see it at family gathering - especially new years. This is
> the Hawaii style nishime. It is different from Japan nishime.
>
> http://mmm-yoso.typepad.com/mmmyoso/...1/nishime.html

Right up my way of things! Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/15/2017 5:31 PM, cshenk wrote:
> dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> Risotto has always reminded me of Juk/Congee/Japan 'Rice Porridge'.
>>> Although not the same (at all) it has a similar 'kitchen sink' sort
>>> of feel to it. Wetter of course, and generally a sort of thick
>>> stew, has to be served in a bowl.
>>>
>>> Freehanded recipe, here's what we had for dinner on Sunday:
>>>
>>> 1.5 C rice (medium grain, California calrose)
>>> 5 cups bone broth (chicken)
>>> 1/2 ts dashi powder
>>> 1/2 C King Oyster mushroom
>>> 1/2 C kelp ties (normally less but these needed using up)
>>> 1/4 C peeled shrimp (little ones, chopped)
>>> 1/8 C chopped squid tentacles
>>> 1.5 inch chopped cooked frozen octopus
>>> 3x3 inch block of firm tofu, sliced to small squares
>>> 1/4 C shredded carrot
>>> 6 oz pack of frozen New Zealand mussels
>>> 1 C fresh mustard greens (cooks to 1/4 C)
>>> 6 ea chopped fresh green beans (leftovers, needed using up)
>>> 2 ea yellow mini 'stop light' bell peppers
>>> 1 ea Orange mini 'stop light' bell pepper
>>> 2 ea Green onion bottoms, minced
>>> 1/4 C trimmed green leek tops, cut pretty at an angle
>>> 3 EA eggs (One per bowl, cracked raw to cook in the rest)
>>>
>>> I know, that's not Risotto! But it is a fun 'kitchen sink' sort of
>>> cookery where most of the above were the bits of leftovers from the
>>> fridge/freezer here. Somehow, risotto reminds me of this with all
>>> it's various little bits of 'this and that' that the recipes vary
>>> with.
>>>
>>> --

>> You might like nishime. The old folks around here really crave this
>> comfort food item. I never really much cared for it but I would
>> usually see it at family gathering - especially new years. This is
>> the Hawaii style nishime. It is different from Japan nishime.
>>
>> http://mmm-yoso.typepad.com/mmmyoso/...1/nishime.html

> Right up my way of things! Thanks!

I used to see my old Chinese landlord at a diner on Tuesdays when he
would go just to eat nishime. I used to buy the stuff for my wife to
cheer her up. I guess people like it because it's associated with family
celebrations and new years. Of course, nishime has no effect on me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message news
On 2/15/2017 5:31 PM, cshenk wrote:
> dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> Risotto has always reminded me of Juk/Congee/Japan 'Rice Porridge'.
>>> Although not the same (at all) it has a similar 'kitchen sink' sort
>>> of feel to it. Wetter of course, and generally a sort of thick
>>> stew, has to be served in a bowl.
>>>
>>> Freehanded recipe, here's what we had for dinner on Sunday:
>>>
>>> 1.5 C rice (medium grain, California calrose)
>>> 5 cups bone broth (chicken)
>>> 1/2 ts dashi powder
>>> 1/2 C King Oyster mushroom
>>> 1/2 C kelp ties (normally less but these needed using up)
>>> 1/4 C peeled shrimp (little ones, chopped)
>>> 1/8 C chopped squid tentacles
>>> 1.5 inch chopped cooked frozen octopus
>>> 3x3 inch block of firm tofu, sliced to small squares
>>> 1/4 C shredded carrot
>>> 6 oz pack of frozen New Zealand mussels
>>> 1 C fresh mustard greens (cooks to 1/4 C)
>>> 6 ea chopped fresh green beans (leftovers, needed using up)
>>> 2 ea yellow mini 'stop light' bell peppers
>>> 1 ea Orange mini 'stop light' bell pepper
>>> 2 ea Green onion bottoms, minced
>>> 1/4 C trimmed green leek tops, cut pretty at an angle
>>> 3 EA eggs (One per bowl, cracked raw to cook in the rest)
>>>
>>> I know, that's not Risotto! But it is a fun 'kitchen sink' sort of
>>> cookery where most of the above were the bits of leftovers from the
>>> fridge/freezer here. Somehow, risotto reminds me of this with all
>>> it's various little bits of 'this and that' that the recipes vary
>>> with.
>>>
>>> --

>> You might like nishime. The old folks around here really crave this
>> comfort food item. I never really much cared for it but I would
>> usually see it at family gathering - especially new years. This is
>> the Hawaii style nishime. It is different from Japan nishime.
>>
>> http://mmm-yoso.typepad.com/mmmyoso/...1/nishime.html

> Right up my way of things! Thanks!

I used to see my old Chinese landlord at a diner on Tuesdays when he
would go just to eat nishime. I used to buy the stuff for my wife to
cheer her up. I guess people like it because it's associated with family
celebrations and new years. Of course, nishime has no effect on me.

====

How is MrsD?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In Turkey we call risotto "novice" or "sloppy pilav". My theory is
that Italian merchants who discovered pilav during Ottoman times
brought the description of it back home and rissoto was the best their
cooks could do with the rice they had.

--
Bob
The people your parents warned you about

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-02-16, Opinicus > wrote:

> In Turkey we call risotto "novice" or "sloppy pilav". My theory is
> that Italian merchants who discovered pilav during Ottoman times
> brought the description of it back home and rissoto was the best their
> cooks could do with the rice they had.

"My theory is", anyone who eats rice is poor. Otherwise, why eat it?

I'd much rather eat sausage n' biscuits.

nb --jes my opin-icus....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-02-16 10:18 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2017-02-16, Opinicus > wrote:
>
>> In Turkey we call risotto "novice" or "sloppy pilav". My theory is
>> that Italian merchants who discovered pilav during Ottoman times
>> brought the description of it back home and rissoto was the best their
>> cooks could do with the rice they had.

> "My theory is", anyone who eats rice is poor. Otherwise, why eat it?
>
> I'd much rather eat sausage n' biscuits.
>
> nb --jes my opin-icus....

To each their own. Rice can be pretty good.... as long has it has
something in it to make it tastes like something. I can't envision
myself eating sausage and biscuits.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 18:49:24 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:

>On 2/15/2017 5:31 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> You might like nishime. The old folks around here really crave this
>>> comfort food item. I never really much cared for it but I would
>>> usually see it at family gathering - especially new years. This is
>>> the Hawaii style nishime. It is different from Japan nishime.
>>>
>>> http://mmm-yoso.typepad.com/mmmyoso/...1/nishime.html

>> Right up my way of things! Thanks!
>>

>I used to see my old Chinese landlord at a diner on Tuesdays when he
>would go just to eat nishime. I used to buy the stuff for my wife to
>cheer her up. I guess people like it because it's associated with family
>celebrations and new years.

The Oriental version of egg noodles in Jewish penicillin.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2017-02-16 10:18 AM, notbob wrote:
> > On 2017-02-16, Opinicus > wrote:
> >
> >> In Turkey we call risotto "novice" or "sloppy pilav". My theory is
> >> that Italian merchants who discovered pilav during Ottoman times
> >> brought the description of it back home and rissoto was the best their
> >> cooks could do with the rice they had.

> > "My theory is", anyone who eats rice is poor. Otherwise, why eat it?
> >
> > I'd much rather eat sausage n' biscuits.
> >
> > nb --jes my opin-icus....
> >

> To each their own. Rice can be pretty good.... as long has it has
> something in it to make it tastes like something.

Like lots of arsenic?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 10:56:57 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-02-16 10:18 AM, notbob wrote:
>> On 2017-02-16, Opinicus > wrote:
>>
>>> In Turkey we call risotto "novice" or "sloppy pilav". My theory is
>>> that Italian merchants who discovered pilav during Ottoman times
>>> brought the description of it back home and rissoto was the best their
>>> cooks could do with the rice they had.

>> "My theory is", anyone who eats rice is poor. Otherwise, why eat it?
>>
>> I'd much rather eat sausage n' biscuits.
>>
>> nb --jes my opin-icus....
>>

>To each their own. Rice can be pretty good.... as long has it has
>something in it to make it tastes like something. I can't envision
>myself eating sausage and biscuits.

If I can choose between rice, potatoes and pasta, I'll pick rice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 10:56:57 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

> >> "My theory is", anyone who eats rice is poor. Otherwise, why eat it?
> >>
> >> I'd much rather eat sausage n' biscuits.
> >>
> >> nb --jes my opin-icus....
> >>

> >To each their own. Rice can be pretty good.... as long has it has
> >something in it to make it tastes like something. I can't envision
> >myself eating sausage and biscuits.

> If I can choose between rice, potatoes and pasta, I'll pick rice.

Dave's sausage and biscuits sounds like a winner to me. heheh
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 10:18:18 AM UTC-5, notbob wrote:
> On 2017-02-16, Opinicus > wrote:
>
> > In Turkey we call risotto "novice" or "sloppy pilav". My theory is
> > that Italian merchants who discovered pilav during Ottoman times
> > brought the description of it back home and rissoto was the best their
> > cooks could do with the rice they had.

> "My theory is", anyone who eats rice is poor. Otherwise, why eat it?
>
> I'd much rather eat sausage n' biscuits.

I'd rather eat rice than biscuits, although my carb of choice
is usually bread, since it's ready-to-serve and perfectly
portioned.

If I knew I would die tomorrow, I'd eat nothing but potatoes
today.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-02-16 12:59 PM, Bruce wrote:

>> To each their own. Rice can be pretty good.... as long has it has
>> something in it to make it tastes like something. I can't envision
>> myself eating sausage and biscuits.

> If I can choose between rice, potatoes and pasta, I'll pick rice.

I would more likely go for pasta. If they were fresh cut fries and I had
not already had my once a month fries, that would be my choice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 15:11:51 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-02-16 12:59 PM, Bruce wrote:
>
>>> To each their own. Rice can be pretty good.... as long has it has
>>> something in it to make it tastes like something. I can't envision
>>> myself eating sausage and biscuits.

>> If I can choose between rice, potatoes and pasta, I'll pick rice.

>I would more likely go for pasta. If they were fresh cut fries and I had
>not already had my once a month fries, that would be my choice.

Same here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/16/2017 12:59 PM, Bruce wrote:

>> To each their own. Rice can be pretty good.... as long has it has
>> something in it to make it tastes like something. I can't envision
>> myself eating sausage and biscuits.

> If I can choose between rice, potatoes and pasta, I'll pick rice.

Potato #1 for me every time. Fried, mashed, backed, whatever. My wife
would choose pasta.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/16/2017 11:44 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 2/16/2017 12:59 PM, Bruce wrote:
>
>>> To each their own. Rice can be pretty good.... as long has it has
>>> something in it to make it tastes like something. I can't envision
>>> myself eating sausage and biscuits.

>> If I can choose between rice, potatoes and pasta, I'll pick rice.
>>

> Potato #1 for me every time. Fried, mashed, backed, whatever. My wife
> would choose pasta.

People tend to stick with what they know i.e., what they ate when they
were kids. My mama taught me how to cook rice but not potatoes. These
days, I still can't cook potatoes. I've been using canned and dehydrated
potatoes. They're great!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky > wrote:

> Ok, plain (white, brown, etc.) rice is one thing. Then, risotto is
> another ... at least that's what I understand. So . . . never before
> have I eaten risotto. Many times I've watched on TV how risotto is made
> and have also read many recipes. But when at home, is risotto worth the
> effort and time it takes to make?

Absolutely it does.

> Is it truly so very different than
> 'regular' (white) rice?

No comparison at all, as far as I'm concerned.

Here is what I once posted on risotto, I also posted a few recipes.

<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.food.cooking/M9C2eXyJGFk/81JJzOB_t3MJ>

Victor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 16:44:03 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 2/16/2017 12:59 PM, Bruce wrote:
>
>>> To each their own. Rice can be pretty good.... as long has it has
>>> something in it to make it tastes like something. I can't envision
>>> myself eating sausage and biscuits.

>> If I can choose between rice, potatoes and pasta, I'll pick rice.
>>

>Potato #1 for me every time. Fried, mashed, baked, whatever. My wife
>would choose pasta.

Actually I prefer orzo to rice, usually I prepare a savory dish with
half and half... even fly lice with half orzo is preferred. I do a
mean rice n' beans with half orzo... helps to be a Goya fan. I like
potatoes but mostly baked or in stews, I'm not a big fan of mashed or
fries.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/14/2017 10:18 PM, Sky wrote:
> Ok, plain (white, brown, etc.) rice is one thing. Then, risotto is
> another ...

[snip]
> Is it truly so very different than 'regular'
> (white) rice?

Thanks, y'all, for the comments and suggestions regarding risotto. I'll
attempt my first try to make the stuff sometime soon and will duly
report the results

Sky

================================
Kitchen Rule #1 - Use the timer!
Kitchen Rule #2 - Cook's choice!
================================

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Canned & Dehydrated Potatoes; was: Risotto ??

On 2/16/2017 4:12 PM, dsi1 wrote:
(snip)
> I've been using canned and dehydrated potatoes. They're great!

Nothing wrong at all with canned potatoes ;> Many times I've made hash
browns with a drained can or two. Dehydrated potatoes come in handy,
too; the flakes can be used as a thickener for some gravies and sauces.
I keep a few cans of the former (whole & sliced) in the pantry and a
small, Ziploc'd box of the latter in the freezer.

Sky

================================
Kitchen Rule #1 - Use the timer!
Kitchen Rule #2 - Cook's choice!
================================

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> On 2/16/2017 4:12 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> (snip)
>> I've been using canned and dehydrated potatoes. They're great!

> Nothing wrong at all with canned potatoes ;> Many times I've made hash
> browns with a drained can or two. Dehydrated potatoes come in handy, too;
> the flakes can be used as a thickener for some gravies and sauces. I keep
> a few cans of the former (whole & sliced) in the pantry and a small,
> Ziploc'd box of the latter in the freezer.
>
> Sky

DH loves canned potatoes so I always have some on hand too.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Victor Sack" wrote in message
.. .

Sky > wrote:

> Ok, plain (white, brown, etc.) rice is one thing. Then, risotto is
> another ... at least that's what I understand. So . . . never before
> have I eaten risotto. Many times I've watched on TV how risotto is made
> and have also read many recipes. But when at home, is risotto worth the
> effort and time it takes to make?

Absolutely it does.

> Is it truly so very different than
> 'regular' (white) rice?

No comparison at all, as far as I'm concerned.

Here is what I once posted on risotto, I also posted a few recipes.

<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.food.cooking/M9C2eXyJGFk/81JJzOB_t3MJ>

Victor

===================

OH my! Those posters took me back. They were good times, fun and
informative. Have they all gone to fb (except blake and margaret I
suppose )

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 17, 2017 at 3:13:37 AM UTC-7, Ophelia wrote:
> "Victor Sack" wrote in message
> .. .
>
> Sky > wrote:
>
> > Ok, plain (white, brown, etc.) rice is one thing. Then, risotto is
> > another ... at least that's what I understand. So . . . never before
> > have I eaten risotto. Many times I've watched on TV how risotto is made
> > and have also read many recipes. But when at home, is risotto worth the
> > effort and time it takes to make?

> Absolutely it does.
>
> > Is it truly so very different than
> > 'regular' (white) rice?

> No comparison at all, as far as I'm concerned.
>
> Here is what I once posted on risotto, I also posted a few recipes.
>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.food.cooking/M9C2eXyJGFk/81JJzOB_t3MJ>
>
> Victor
>
> ===================
>
> OH my! Those posters took me back. They were good times, fun and
> informative. Have they all gone to fb (except blake and margaret I
> suppose )

Not all have gone to FB. I was there for a while but got kicked off
for being critical of SQUERTZ. Steve rules as he is the Galloping Gourmet
over there. He is adored, revered and drooled over...especially the drool.
Ahahahahhaaahhahha
=======
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" wrote in message

On Friday, February 17, 2017 at 3:13:37 AM UTC-7, Ophelia wrote:
> "Victor Sack" wrote in message
> .. .
>
> Sky > wrote:
>
> > Ok, plain (white, brown, etc.) rice is one thing. Then, risotto is
> > another ... at least that's what I understand. So . . . never before
> > have I eaten risotto. Many times I've watched on TV how risotto is made
> > and have also read many recipes. But when at home, is risotto worth the
> > effort and time it takes to make?

> Absolutely it does.
>
> > Is it truly so very different than
> > 'regular' (white) rice?

> No comparison at all, as far as I'm concerned.
>
> Here is what I once posted on risotto, I also posted a few recipes.
>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.food.cooking/M9C2eXyJGFk/81JJzOB_t3MJ>
>
> Victor
>
> ===================
>
> OH my! Those posters took me back. They were good times, fun and
> informative. Have they all gone to fb (except blake and margaret I
> suppose )

Not all have gone to FB. I was there for a while but got kicked off
for being critical of SQUERTZ. Steve rules as he is the Galloping Gourmet
over there. He is adored, revered and drooled over...especially the drool.
Ahahahahhaaahhahha
=======

LOL

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Roy" wrote in message:
> Not all have gone to FB. I was there for a while but got kicked off
> for being critical of SQUERTZ. Steve rules as he is the Galloping Gourmet
> over there. He is adored, revered and drooled over...especially the drool.
> Ahahahahhaaahhahha
> =======
>
> LOL

The RFC facebook people sound like a bunch of babies. Can't take
some real life comments. Good that they stay where they are in
their sheltered little monitered group. **** em. ;-D

Risotto jmcquown General Cooking 40 13-05-2008 10:45 AM
Risotto Daisy General Cooking 10 24-07-2005 03:06 PM
risotto, best pot? timbrel General Cooking 16 04-12-2004 08:06 PM
Risotto raj General Cooking 24 15-11-2003 10:59 PM
Risotto Julianne General Cooking 2 14-11-2003 02:23 PM