Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default English breakfast.... was Mustard

On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 03:08:54 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>> How is that different from an American breakfast.

>Beans. I didn't see grilled tomatoes on the list, but perhaps
>it was in the ellipsis.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

The US military serves beans for breakfast most every morning which
tells me that most parts of the US serve beans for breakfast. beans
are inexpensive, nutritious and filling, also present no long term
storage problem. The navy prepares homemade from dried, not canned
beans... no space to store canned aboard ship, plus canned add a lot
of unnecessary weight. There are very few canned goods stored aboard
ship, any foods that can be dehy are. The US Navy played an important
role in developing many of the commonly eaten foods we consume today.
When in port some fresh produce is delivered to last the few days but
those have all been consumed by the time the ship is replenished for
sea duty... and routine replenishment is done at sea by supply ships.
A major concern of the military is ABOUT FOOD, most especially the US
Navy.
Anyone thinks they don't eat dehy think again, most of the prepared
foods folks buy are prepared with dehy; most every product in the
soups and prepared frozen meals aisle. Eat at the finast restaurants
much of what they serve is prepared with dehy/frozen, today Freeze
Dried rulz... why you may ask, because restaurants can't afford
refrigeration and spoilage resulting from fresh. But don't dispair,
dehy and frozen is actually fresher and more nutritious than the
so-called fresh from your stupidmarket... your market is selling
produce more than two weeks since harvest. Even so-called fresh meat
sits in plastic vacuum bags for long periods. Fresh ingredients meant
something when markets sold food directly from small farms within
horse drawn cart distance, today so-called fresh food sat in a huge
warehouse for weeks. Today when folks claim they only cook from fresh
they don't know what they're talking about. Today the only way
someone can cook only fresh is to live in a farming community, but
unless you're also a farmer then you'll have no food to barter. I
live in a farming community and grow some produce and trade with some
close by neighbors but I'm not willing to pay the outrageous prices
charged for freshly slaughtered meats, they want 4X stupidmarket
prices, and they get it from wealthy people who have more dollars than
brain cells. The farmer who hays my 91 acre property up in Knox, NY
raises beef cattle so naturally he tried to pay his rent in beef, I
told him the tax collector won't take beef, plus I know him well
enough that I'm sure he'd rip me off.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/4/2016 8:12 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> Mostly, I sample foods. This has evolved over the last 15 years when I started eating half portions of
> whatever was on the plate. These days, I can't even do that.

But the upside is you won't be an old chubby!

:-)))
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 6, 2016 at 1:28:26 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> The US military serves beans for breakfast most every morning which
> tells me that most parts of the US serve beans for breakfast.

It tells me two things:

1. The Navy wants to save money.
2. The demographics of military personnel skew toward the South.

I've never seen beans for breakfast in the Midwest, except in
Mexican restaurants.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-12-06 2:48 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 6, 2016 at 1:28:26 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> The US military serves beans for breakfast most every morning which
>> tells me that most parts of the US serve beans for breakfast.

> It tells me two things:
>
> 1. The Navy wants to save money.
> 2. The demographics of military personnel skew toward the South.
>
> I've never seen beans for breakfast in the Midwest, except in
> Mexican restaurants.

They aren't common around here. I know only one place that serves them
with breakfast. It is a breakfast and lunch dinner around the corner
from my son's apartment in Port Dalhousie. I tried them once after
making sure they were house made. They were great.

That reminds me that it is time to make some baked beans using the
recipe I used last year. It calls for bacon and jalapeno peppers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> "Janet" wrote in message
> t...
>
> In article >,

> says...
> > Subject: English breakfast.... was Mustard
> > From: Ophelia >
> > Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
> >
> > "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
> >
> > On Mon, 5 Dec 2016 18:26:55 -0000, Janet > wrote:
> >
> > > [quoted text muted]
> > >holding different kinds of eggs (poached, fried, scrambled, boiled,
> > >omelettes). Brown toast, white toast; marmalade, honey, jams...
> > >
> > > Janet UK
> > >

> > I think we have something similar. It's called a brunch buffet at a
> > restaurant. Typically only available on Sundays or holidays.
> > Janet US
> >
> > ================
> >
> > I can assure you the normal house does not offer all that!!!>

> "Full british breakfast" is pretty universal in quality UK hotels and
> guest houses. When we hosted Bed and Breakfast, that's what was on the
> menu, cooked fresh to order.
>
> I'd spent years cooking fbb every day when our teen sons were in the
> hollow-legs stage. They started every day with porridge, full cooked
> breakfast and toast etc. I still often cook it for them when they visit
> and occasionally as a Sunday morning treat just for us.
>

> Janet UK
>
> ======================
>
> I expect you did when you were running your bed and breakfast but I was
> taking about normal households. As you even say yourself, you don't do it
> now!

Perhaps you misread. I said I do do it now (just, not every day).
However, plenty of people in physically demanding outdoor jobs do eat a
home-cooked full breakfast every day in their very normal households.

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" wrote in message
t...

In article >,
says...

> "Janet" wrote in message
> t...
>
> In article >,

> says...
> > Subject: English breakfast.... was Mustard
> > From: Ophelia >
> > Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
> >
> > "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
> >
> > On Mon, 5 Dec 2016 18:26:55 -0000, Janet > wrote:
> >
> > > [quoted text muted]
> > >holding different kinds of eggs (poached, fried, scrambled, boiled,
> > >omelettes). Brown toast, white toast; marmalade, honey, jams...
> > >
> > > Janet UK
> > >

> > I think we have something similar. It's called a brunch buffet at a
> > restaurant. Typically only available on Sundays or holidays.
> > Janet US
> >
> > ================
> >
> > I can assure you the normal house does not offer all that!!!>

> "Full british breakfast" is pretty universal in quality UK hotels and
> guest houses. When we hosted Bed and Breakfast, that's what was on the
> menu, cooked fresh to order.
>
> I'd spent years cooking fbb every day when our teen sons were in the
> hollow-legs stage. They started every day with porridge, full cooked
> breakfast and toast etc. I still often cook it for them when they visit
> and occasionally as a Sunday morning treat just for us.
>

> Janet UK
>
> ======================
>
> I expect you did when you were running your bed and breakfast but I was
> taking about normal households. As you even say yourself, you don't do it
> now!

Perhaps you misread. I said I do do it now (just, not every day).
However, plenty of people in physically demanding outdoor jobs do eat a
home-cooked full breakfast every day in their very normal households.

Janet UK

==============

Yes, you said, "occasionally as a Sunday morning treat just for us"

So do we, but that doesn't mean every house in UK cooks like that.

Tell me when you do, do you offer this too?

"all the hot dishes
holding different kinds of eggs (poached, fried, scrambled, boiled,
omelettes). Brown toast, white toast; marmalade, honey, jams..."

Pah don't bother, I won't be reading it.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 7 Dec 2016 01:40:41 -0000, Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
>says...
>>
>> "Janet" wrote in message
>> t...
>>
>> In article >,

>> says...
>> > Subject: English breakfast.... was Mustard
>> > From: Ophelia >
>> > Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking

>> > I think we have something similar. It's called a brunch buffet at a
>> > restaurant. Typically only available on Sundays or holidays.
>> > Janet US
>> >
>> > ================
>> >
>> > I can assure you the normal house does not offer all that!!!>

>> "Full british breakfast" is pretty universal in quality UK hotels and
>> guest houses. When we hosted Bed and Breakfast, that's what was on the
>> menu, cooked fresh to order.
>>
>> I'd spent years cooking fbb every day when our teen sons were in the
>> hollow-legs stage. They started every day with porridge, full cooked
>> breakfast and toast etc. I still often cook it for them when they visit
>> and occasionally as a Sunday morning treat just for us.
>>

>> Janet UK
>>
>> ======================
>>
>> I expect you did when you were running your bed and breakfast but I was
>> taking about normal households. As you even say yourself, you don't do it
>> now!

> Perhaps you misread. I said I do do it now (just, not every day).
>However, plenty of people in physically demanding outdoor jobs do eat a
>home-cooked full breakfast every day in their very normal households.
>
> Janet UK

I understood what you were referring to and that is why I replied
about our Sunday brunch at a restaurant. No one would do the full
thing unless there would be people to consume it all.
Not quite what we were discussing but I enjoyed this article
http://www.horse-canada.com/horses-a...unt-breakfast/
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> This was my attempt at a Texan-style Full English Breakfast. With
> jalapeno-poppers and borrocho beans instead of baked beans. I think I
> had exactly one cheery tomato and 2 mushrooms left when I did this.
> Looks like it was New Years Day 2015.
>
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwert...ream/lightbox/

Holy Cow! What a "spread."
Did you eat all that by yourself?
I would have then gone back to bed
and to sleep for a few hours. heheh

Nice job.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 07 Dec 2016 16:30:52 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> This was my attempt at a Texan-style Full English Breakfast. With
>> jalapeno-poppers and borrocho beans instead of baked beans. I think I
>> had exactly one cheery tomato and 2 mushrooms left when I did this.
>> Looks like it was New Years Day 2015.
>>
>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwert...ream/lightbox/

>Holy Cow! What a "spread."
>Did you eat all that by yourself?
>I would have then gone back to bed
>and to sleep for a few hours. heheh

It looks to be for two people?

>Nice job.

Yeah, I'd eat it... well, no more than half of it anyway!

PICs: Valentines dinner. I'm back on the laptop General Cooking 17 18-02-2012 06:31 AM
Valentines Day dinner Pics PeterLucas[_4_] General Cooking 17 14-02-2008 04:09 PM
Dinner pics Karen AKA Kajikit General Cooking 4 12-02-2007 12:20 PM
Dinner Pics (2) Gunner General Cooking 0 15-01-2007 11:17 PM
Dinner Pics (2) [email protected] General Cooking 0 15-01-2007 07:28 AM