Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What Are Mass/Weight Equivalents for Small, Medium and LargeIngredients (ie Fruits and Vegetables)

I can't be the only person who, while reading a recipe, wonders what is meant when the author describes an ingredient as small, medium, large, etc. Some are easy enough (eggs, for example) but too many things are open to interpretation. How large is a large banana? I've seen many bananas and some are quite large, some are large, some could be large and others are, 'yeah, that's a large.'

Is there a conversion tool somewhere 'out there' one could use to get a better interpretation of these ambiguous measurements? I realize that in many cases a 'best guess' will usually be sufficient but sometimes a specialized diet might require the cook to be more precise. I've found several limited sources but it's a bit of a pain trying to keep them all straight.

Anyone?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Brooklyn1
says...

> Now I'm going to pour myself a well earned drink of ice, fresh lemon,
> diet Sprite, and the world's finest vodka (CP)

Ok, we're bracing ourselves. Thanks for the advance warning.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 14, 2016 at 2:05:08 PM UTC-7, Bruce wrote:
> In article >, Brooklyn1
> says...
> >
> > Now I'm going to pour myself a well earned drink of ice, fresh lemon,
> > diet Sprite, and the world's finest vodka (CP)

> Ok, we're bracing ourselves. Thanks for the advance warning.

Every time he gets into the vodka he attacks one or more of the forum posters. He seems to enjoy this and does a fine job of it.
====

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Roy
says...

> On Monday, November 14, 2016 at 2:05:08 PM UTC-7, Bruce wrote:
> > In article >, Brooklyn1
> > says...
> > >
> > > Now I'm going to pour myself a well earned drink of ice, fresh lemon,
> > > diet Sprite, and the world's finest vodka (CP)

> > Ok, we're bracing ourselves. Thanks for the advance warning.

> Every time he gets into the vodka he attacks one or more of the forum posters. He seems to enjoy this and does a fine job of it.
> ====

Yes, and nice of him to announce his next outburst.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/14/2016 3:03 PM, Roy wrote:
> On Monday, November 14, 2016 at 2:05:08 PM UTC-7, Bruce wrote:
>> In article >, Brooklyn1
>> says...
>>>
>>> Now I'm going to pour myself a well earned drink of ice, fresh lemon,
>>> diet Sprite, and the world's finest vodka (CP)

>> Ok, we're bracing ourselves. Thanks for the advance warning.

> Every time he gets into the vodka he attacks one or more of the forum posters. He seems to enjoy this and does a fine job of it.
> ====

Well someone has to!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 14, 2016 at 3:16:31 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Nov 2016 08:13:35 -0800 (PST), wrote:
>
> >I can't be the only person who, while reading a recipe, wonders what is meant when the author describes an ingredient as small, medium, large, etc. Some are easy enough (eggs, for example) but too many things are open to interpretation. How large is a large banana? I've seen many bananas and some are quite large, some are large, some could be large and others are, 'yeah, that's a large.'
> >
> >Is there a conversion tool somewhere 'out there' one could use to get a better interpretation

> Cooking by it's very nature us always a matter of interpretation.
> I just put up a large pot of pot roast... I didn't measure anything.
> Now I'm going to pour myself a well earned drink of ice, fresh lemon,
> diet Sprite, and the world's finest vodka (CP), no measuring...
> naturally I have a vernier caliper app imbedded in my optic nerve.
>

> >of these ambiguous measurements? I realize that in many cases a 'best guess' will usually be sufficient but sometimes a specialized diet might require the cook to be more precise. I've found several limited sources but it's a bit of a pain trying to keep them all straight.
> >
> >Anyone?

Yes, of course, cooking is a matter of interpretation. My question was one of special dietary needs such as cooking for diabetics, etc, who have a need to know fairly accurately what and how much they eat. An example is a medium banana is supposed to be about 100 grams but I'm betting half the readers here could show me a medium banana and maybe none of them are 100 grams. if the medium banana was for me, I'd eat 2 of them but my sick charge is on;y permitted to eat half of a medium banana. So, is it <---this big--->, <------this big------> or <--this big-->?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 14, 2016 at 5:36:36 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2016-11-14 11:13 AM, gmail.com wrote:
> > I can't be the only person who, while reading a recipe, wonders what
> > is meant when the author describes an ingredient as small, medium,
> > large, etc. Some are easy enough (eggs, for example) but too many
> > things are open to interpretation. How large is a large banana?
> > I've seen many bananas and some are quite large, some are large, some
> > could be large and others are, 'yeah, that's a large.'
> >
> > Is there a conversion tool somewhere 'out there' one could use to get
> > a better interpretation of these ambiguous measurements? I realize
> > that in many cases a 'best guess' will usually be sufficient but
> > sometimes a specialized diet might require the cook to be more
> > precise. I've found several limited sources but it's a bit of a pain
> > trying to keep them all straight.
> >
> > Anyone?
> >

> Nope. The powers that be determined that anyone who could not tell the
> difference between a large banana and a small one was too dumb to read a
> chart and would have to spend his time trolling.

Or he could be asking where the chart might be found. Thank you for your help and understanding, Dick.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-11-14 5:51 PM, xmdp wrote:

>> Nope. The powers that be determined that anyone who could not tell the
>> difference between a large banana and a small one was too dumb to read a
>> chart and would have to spend his time trolling.

> Or he could be asking where the chart might be found. Thank you for your help and understanding, Dick.

Yep. You had to nymshift to continue trolling. How sad for you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

xmdp wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Monday, November 14, 2016 at 3:16:31 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> > On Mon, 14 Nov 2016 08:13:35 -0800 (PST),
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I can't be the only person who, while reading a recipe, wonders
> > > what is meant when the author describes an ingredient as small,
> > > medium, large, etc. Some are easy enough (eggs, for example) but
> > > too many things are open to interpretation. How large is a large
> > > banana? I've seen many bananas and some are quite large, some
> > > are large, some could be large and others are, 'yeah, that's a
> > > large.'
> > >
> > > Is there a conversion tool somewhere 'out there' one could use to
> > > get a better interpretation

> > Cooking by it's very nature us always a matter of interpretation.
> > I just put up a large pot of pot roast... I didn't measure anything.
> > Now I'm going to pour myself a well earned drink of ice, fresh
> > lemon, diet Sprite, and the world's finest vodka (CP), no
> > measuring... naturally I have a vernier caliper app imbedded in my
> > optic nerve.
> >

> > > of these ambiguous measurements? I realize that in many cases a
> > > 'best guess' will usually be sufficient but sometimes a
> > > specialized diet might require the cook to be more precise. I've
> > > found several limited sources but it's a bit of a pain trying to
> > > keep them all straight.
> > >
> > > Anyone?

> Yes, of course, cooking is a matter of interpretation. My question
> was one of special dietary needs such as cooking for diabetics, etc,
> who have a need to know fairly accurately what and how much they eat.
> An example is a medium banana is supposed to be about 100 grams but
> I'm betting half the readers here could show me a medium banana and
> maybe none of them are 100 grams. if the medium banana was for me,
> I'd eat 2 of them but my sick charge is on;y permitted to eat half of
> a medium banana. So, is it <---this big--->, <------this big------>
> or <--this big-->?

Please use some common sense. You weigh out the amount the person is
allowed and use that. If your charge is allowed 100grams, weigh it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-11-14 6:47 PM, cshenk wrote:
> xmdp wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> On Monday, November 14, 2016 at 3:16:31 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> Cooking by it's very nature us always a matter of interpretation.
>>> I just put up a large pot of pot roast... I didn't measure anything.
>>> Now I'm going to pour myself a well earned drink of ice, fresh
>>> lemon, diet Sprite, and the world's finest vodka (CP), no
>>> measuring... naturally I have a vernier caliper app imbedded in my
>>> optic nerve.

>> Yes, of course, cooking is a matter of interpretation. My question
>> was one of special dietary needs such as cooking for diabetics, etc,
>> who have a need to know fairly accurately what and how much they eat.
>> An example is a medium banana is supposed to be about 100 grams but
>> I'm betting half the readers here could show me a medium banana and
>> maybe none of them are 100 grams. if the medium banana was for me,
>> I'd eat 2 of them but my sick charge is on;y permitted to eat half of
>> a medium banana. So, is it <---this big--->, <------this big------>
>> or <--this big-->?

> Please use some common sense. You weigh out the amount the person is
> allowed and use that. If your charge is allowed 100grams, weigh it.

Yes. Please use common sense. He posted his stupid question under one
name and then stage 2 was under a second name.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/14/2016 4:00 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2016-11-14 5:51 PM, xmdp wrote:
>
>>> Nope. The powers that be determined that anyone who could not tell the
>>> difference between a large banana and a small one was too dumb to read a
>>> chart and would have to spend his time trolling.

>> Or he could be asking where the chart might be found. Thank you for
>> your help and understanding, Dick.
>>

> Yep. You had to nymshift to continue trolling. How sad for you.

You just keep posting like the canucklehheaded ignormaus you are.

Sadder yet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/14/2016 12:27 PM, Gary wrote:

> IMO, just use what you have and don't worry about the little difference
> in size.

Good advice in the kitchen and in the bedroom.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/14/2016 5:48 PM, xmdp wrote:

> Yes, of course, cooking is a matter of interpretation. My question was one of special dietary needs such as cooking for diabetics, etc, who have a need to know fairly accurately what and how much they eat. An example is a medium banana is supposed to be about 100 grams but I'm betting half the readers here could show me a medium banana and maybe none of them are 100 grams. if the medium banana was for me, I'd eat 2 of them but my sick charge is on;y permitted to eat half of a medium banana. So, is it <---this big--->, <------this big------> or <--this big-->?

Medium banana is 100 grams. Get a small digital scale and whack off
what you need.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-11-14 7:44 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 11/14/2016 5:48 PM, xmdp wrote:
>

>> Yes, of course, cooking is a matter of interpretation. My question
>> was one of special dietary needs such as cooking for diabetics, etc,
>> who have a need to know fairly accurately what and how much they eat.
>> An example is a medium banana is supposed to be about 100 grams but
>> I'm betting half the readers here could show me a medium banana and
>> maybe none of them are 100 grams. if the medium banana was for me,
>> I'd eat 2 of them but my sick charge is on;y permitted to eat half of
>> a medium banana. So, is it <---this big--->, <------this big------>
>> or <--this big-->?
>>

> Medium banana is 100 grams. Get a small digital scale and whack off
> what you need.

Whacking iff is what the troll does best.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Nov 2016 14:48:59 -0800 (PST), xmdp >
wrote:

>On Monday, November 14, 2016 at 3:16:31 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Mon, 14 Nov 2016 08:13:35 -0800 (PST), wrote:
>>
>> >I can't be the only person who, while reading a recipe, wonders what is meant when the author describes an ingredient as small, medium, large, etc. Some are easy enough (eggs, for example) but too many things are open to interpretation. How large is a large banana? I've seen many bananas and some are quite large, some are large, some could be large and others are, 'yeah, that's a large.'
>> >
>> >Is there a conversion tool somewhere 'out there' one could use to get a better interpretation

>> Cooking by it's very nature us always a matter of interpretation.
>> I just put up a large pot of pot roast... I didn't measure anything.
>> Now I'm going to pour myself a well earned drink of ice, fresh lemon,
>> diet Sprite, and the world's finest vodka (CP), no measuring...
>> naturally I have a vernier caliper app imbedded in my optic nerve.
>>

>> >of these ambiguous measurements? I realize that in many cases a 'best guess' will usually be sufficient but sometimes a specialized diet might require the cook to be more precise. I've found several limited sources but it's a bit of a pain trying to keep them all straight.
>> >
>> >Anyone?

>Yes, of course, cooking is a matter of interpretation. My question was one of special dietary needs such as cooking for diabetics, etc, who have a need to know fairly accurately what and how much they eat. An example is a medium banana is supposed to be about 100 grams but I'm betting half the readers here could show me a medium banana and maybe none of them are 100 grams. if the medium banana was for me, I'd eat 2 of them but my sick charge is on;y permitted to eat half of a medium banana. So, is it <---this big--->, <------this big------> or <--this big-->?

For special dietary need invest in a kitchen scale.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Nov 2016 18:00:09 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2016-11-14 5:51 PM, xmdp wrote:
>
>>> Nope. The powers that be determined that anyone who could not tell the
>>> difference between a large banana and a small one was too dumb to read a
>>> chart and would have to spend his time trolling.

>> Or he could be asking where the chart might be found. Thank you for your help and understanding, Dick.
>>

> Yep. You had to nymshift to continue trolling. How sad for you.

It wasn't a nymshift, you incredible dumb****.

THIS is a nymshift.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/14/2016 6:01 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> Medium banana is 100 grams. Get a small digital scale and whack off
>> what you need.

> Whacking iff is what the troll does best.

Drunk canuck speak?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/14/2016 8:44 PM, Jerry Lundegaard wrote:

>>> Or he could be asking where the chart might be found. Thank you for your help and understanding, Dick.
>>>

>> Yep. You had to nymshift to continue trolling. How sad for you.

> It wasn't a nymshift, you incredible dumb****.
>
> THIS is a nymshift.
>
> -sw

Want head bumps for it?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/14/2016 8:01 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2016-11-14 7:44 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 11/14/2016 5:48 PM, xmdp wrote:
>>

>>> Yes, of course, cooking is a matter of interpretation. My question
>>> was one of special dietary needs such as cooking for diabetics, etc,
>>> who have a need to know fairly accurately what and how much they eat.
>>> An example is a medium banana is supposed to be about 100 grams but
>>> I'm betting half the readers here could show me a medium banana and
>>> maybe none of them are 100 grams. if the medium banana was for me,
>>> I'd eat 2 of them but my sick charge is on;y permitted to eat half of
>>> a medium banana. So, is it <---this big--->, <------this big------>
>>> or <--this big-->?
>>>

>> Medium banana is 100 grams. Get a small digital scale and whack off
>> what you need.

> Whacking iff is what the troll does best.

LOL!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/14/2016 5:51 PM, xmdp wrote:
> On Monday, November 14, 2016 at 5:36:36 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2016-11-14 11:13 AM, gmail.com wrote:
>>> I can't be the only person who, while reading a recipe, wonders what
>>> is meant when the author describes an ingredient as small, medium,
>>> large, etc. Some are easy enough (eggs, for example) but too many
>>> things are open to interpretation. How large is a large banana?
>>> I've seen many bananas and some are quite large, some are large, some
>>> could be large and others are, 'yeah, that's a large.'
>>>
>>> Is there a conversion tool somewhere 'out there' one could use to get
>>> a better interpretation of these ambiguous measurements? I realize
>>> that in many cases a 'best guess' will usually be sufficient but
>>> sometimes a specialized diet might require the cook to be more
>>> precise. I've found several limited sources but it's a bit of a pain
>>> trying to keep them all straight.
>>>
>>> Anyone?
>>>

>> Nope. The powers that be determined that anyone who could not tell the
>> difference between a large banana and a small one was too dumb to read a
>> chart and would have to spend his time trolling.

> Or he could be asking where the chart might be found. Thank you for your help and understanding, Dick.

Well... if he/she could find rec.food.cooking obviously he/she could
find a weight chart online. Or did the Google groups fail you gmail
users in that regard? Gee.

How much does a banana weigh? How about you check the scale at the
grocery store when you're buying bananas? Or buy a kitchen scale?

Common sense doesn't appear to be something you can weigh using a computer.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/14/2016 6:00 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2016-11-14 5:51 PM, xmdp wrote:
>
>>> Nope. The powers that be determined that anyone who could not tell the
>>> difference between a large banana and a small one was too dumb to read a
>>> chart and would have to spend his time trolling.

>> Or he could be asking where the chart might be found. Thank you for
>> your help and understanding, Dick.
>>

> Yep. You had to nymshift to continue trolling. How sad for you.

It's stupid. And so obvious.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/15/2016 8:00 AM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> Or he could be asking where the chart might be found. Thank you for
>>> your help and understanding, Dick.
>>>

>> Yep. You had to nymshift to continue trolling. How sad for you.
>>

> It's stupid. And so obvious.
>
> Jill

Oh horrors!!!