Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Latest on Matthew

Hurricane Matthew has taken a track closer to Florida,
and is expected to be at cat 4 when it is close to the
north east Florida coast, and goes north along South
Carolina, but is THEN expected to rapidly weaken and
take a sharp right hand turn out into the Atlantic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The New Other Guy wrote:

> Hurricane Matthew has taken a track closer to Florida,
> and is expected to be at cat 4 when it is close to the
> north east Florida coast, and goes north along South
> Carolina, but is THEN expected to rapidly weaken and
> take a sharp right hand turn out into the Atlantic.

I sure hope the latest prediction is right. I was expecting a close
landfall and losing electricity for several days. That sucks. As of this
morning, prediction is very different.

Virginia Beach here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 05 Oct 2016 12:16:46 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>The New Other Guy wrote:
>>
>> Hurricane Matthew has taken a track closer to Florida,
>> and is expected to be at cat 4 when it is close to the
>> north east Florida coast, and goes north along South
>> Carolina, but is THEN expected to rapidly weaken and
>> take a sharp right hand turn out into the Atlantic.

>I sure hope the latest prediction is right. I was expecting a close
>landfall and losing electricity for several days. That sucks. As of this
>morning, prediction is very different.
>
>Virginia Beach here.

I'm hoping the new models are closer to reality.

Hurricanes are classic chaos.

Official line is have 3 days of supplies.

SMART people have at LEAST a week, and more is better.

And that includes food, batteries and flashlights,
AND A WAY TO COOK. You can survive on uncooked food,
but you'll be MUCH happier if you have a way to cook.
And that means a barbecue or similar, AND FUEL.
NOT anything electric, unless you also have a generator.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 05 Oct 2016 12:16:46 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>I sure hope the latest prediction is right. I was expecting a close
>landfall and losing electricity for several days. That sucks. As of this
>morning, prediction is very different.
>
>Virginia Beach here.

If you see all the Navy Ships heading out to sea...you better hunker
down Gary

William

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/5/2016 12:19 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

> I don't know how that South Carolina lowcountry doesn't get pummeled
> when hurricanes come through. I have a couple friends in Lake Worth,
> FL - Fort Lauderdale where they have all those slightly inland, twisty
> neighborhoods where everybody has waterfront property that you wpoudl
> think would float away.

I am no meteorologist, duh, but I've watched, worrying about Jill.
My conclusion was that the North Carolina coastline juts out so far
that the hurricane is pushed out away from the South Carolina coast.
Makes more of a straight line from Florida to North Carolina.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 10:31:50 AM UTC-5, The New Other Guy wrote:
> Hurricane Matthew has taken a track closer to Florida,
> and is expected to be at cat 4 when it is close to the
> north east Florida coast, and goes north along South
> Carolina, but is THEN expected to rapidly weaken and
> take a sharp right hand turn out into the Atlantic.

NBC mentioned a chance of it wrapping around for a Second path into FL, like a loop path.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/5/2016 12:19 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Oct 2016 08:31:45 -0700, The New Other Guy wrote:
>
>> Hurricane Matthew has taken a track closer to Florida,
>> and is expected to be at cat 4 when it is close to the
>> north east Florida coast, and goes north along South
>> Carolina, but is THEN expected to rapidly weaken and
>> take a sharp right hand turn out into the Atlantic.

> I don't know how that South Carolina lowcountry doesn't get pummeled
> when hurricanes come through.

Don't ask me. There are ruins all around the lowcountry that date back
300 years or more that survived these storms.

Having said that, Hurricane Matthew seems to be moving very slowly.
Likely losing strength.

> I have a couple friends in Lake Worth,
> FL - Fort Lauderdale where they have all those slightly inland, twisty
> neighborhoods where everybody has waterfront property that you wpoudl
> think would float away.

Fort Lauderdale schools weren't even closed today.

> ObFood: Totino's $1.25 pizza is the best pizza for doctoring up. Add
> some real cheese, onions, Italian sausage, and giardiniera and you've
> got a pretty damned good pizza for $2.25.
>
> -sw

Okey doke.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 14:39:16 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 10/5/2016 12:19 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Wed, 05 Oct 2016 08:31:45 -0700, The New Other Guy wrote:
>>
>>> Hurricane Matthew has taken a track closer to Florida,
>>> and is expected to be at cat 4 when it is close to the
>>> north east Florida coast, and goes north along South
>>> Carolina, but is THEN expected to rapidly weaken and
>>> take a sharp right hand turn out into the Atlantic.

>> I don't know how that South Carolina lowcountry doesn't get pummeled
>> when hurricanes come through.

>Don't ask me. There are ruins all around the lowcountry that date back
>300 years or more that survived these storms.
>
>Having said that, Hurricane Matthew seems to be moving very slowly.
>Likely losing strength.
>
>> I have a couple friends in Lake Worth,
>> FL - Fort Lauderdale where they have all those slightly inland, twisty
>> neighborhoods where everybody has waterfront property that you wpoudl
>> think would float away.
>>

>Fort Lauderdale schools weren't even closed today.
>
>> ObFood: Totino's $1.25 pizza is the best pizza for doctoring up. Add
>> some real cheese, onions, Italian sausage, and giardiniera and you've
>> got a pretty damned good pizza for $2.25.
>>
>> -sw
>>

>Okey doke.
>
>Jill

It has been moving slowly since the birth. That's what a lot of the
hubbub is about. Slow movement gives it a chance to dump feet of
water instead of inches. I believe that it has generally been moving
at 6 mph.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

William wrote:

> On Wed, 05 Oct 2016 12:16:46 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> >I sure hope the latest prediction is right. I was expecting a close
> >landfall and losing electricity for several days. That sucks. As of this
> >morning, prediction is very different.
> >
> >Virginia Beach here.

> If you see all the Navy Ships heading out to sea...you better hunker
> down Gary

Or hitch a ride with them out to sea.

Hurricane Matthew: The Aftermath jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 1 15-10-2016 07:12 PM
remains of Matthew [email protected] General Cooking 43 15-10-2016 03:07 AM
Huricane Matthew The New Other Guy General Cooking 57 08-10-2016 10:20 AM
Matthew's Kamado Jack Curry Barbecue 17 17-01-2005 06:33 PM
PING: Matthew Martin Graeme...in London Barbecue 1 30-12-2004 07:14 PM