Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Who Decided that Food Needs to be Exposed to Fire........

Who Decided that Food Needs to be Exposed to Fire before it's eaten.
With a few exceptions, almost everything we eat is exposed to fire in
some form or other. WHY??????

Ok, I would not want to eat raw meat, but why must we cook (use fire) on
vegetables, fruits, grains, and so on?

Personally, I hate cooking, and cooking is all about exposing food to
fire. Its not the fire that I hate, it's the fact that food burns, gets
stuck to pots and pans, and requires precise timing and control of the
flames. Something I have never been able to get right!

If it was not for restaurants, I'd live on salads and other raw fruit
and veggies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/2/2016 10:44 PM, wrote:
> Personally, I hate cooking

I guess you're on the wrong newsgroup.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 3 Sep 2016 00:08:08 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 9/2/2016 10:44 PM, wrote:
>> Personally, I hate cooking

>I guess you're on the wrong newsgroup.

Wouldn't be the only one here in that category.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Who Decided that Food Needs to be Exposed to Fire before it's eaten.

Learn to pickle food instead of your brain.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 2, 2016 at 5:45:40 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> Who Decided that Food Needs to be Exposed to Fire before it's eaten.
> With a few exceptions, almost everything we eat is exposed to fire in
> some form or other. WHY??????
>
> Ok, I would not want to eat raw meat, but why must we cook (use fire) on
> vegetables, fruits, grains, and so on?
>
> Personally, I hate cooking, and cooking is all about exposing food to
> fire. Its not the fire that I hate, it's the fact that food burns, gets
> stuck to pots and pans, and requires precise timing and control of the
> flames. Something I have never been able to get right!
>
> If it was not for restaurants, I'd live on salads and other raw fruit
> and veggies.

You're in luck - in the future, we'll be 3-D printing our foods and microwaving it. No fire involved - unless you consider electromagnetic radiation to be "fire." I can't wait!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Friday, September 2, 2016 at 5:45:40 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> Who Decided that Food Needs to be Exposed to Fire before it's eaten.
> With a few exceptions, almost everything we eat is exposed to fire in
> some form or other. WHY??????
>
> Ok, I would not want to eat raw meat, but why must we cook (use fire) on
> vegetables, fruits, grains, and so on?
>
> Personally, I hate cooking, and cooking is all about exposing food to
> fire. Its not the fire that I hate, it's the fact that food burns, gets
> stuck to pots and pans, and requires precise timing and control of the
> flames. Something I have never been able to get right!
>
> If it was not for restaurants, I'd live on salads and other raw fruit
> and veggies.

You're in luck - in the future, we'll be 3-D printing our foods and
microwaving it. No fire involved - unless you consider electromagnetic
radiation to be "fire." I can't wait!
=========

Hey talking about your future predictions, did you predict that a car could
inform other similar cars of free parking spots???

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ars-fleet.html

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 3, 2016 at 8:41:52 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Friday, September 2, 2016 at 5:45:40 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> > Who Decided that Food Needs to be Exposed to Fire before it's eaten.
> > With a few exceptions, almost everything we eat is exposed to fire in
> > some form or other. WHY??????
> >
> > Ok, I would not want to eat raw meat, but why must we cook (use fire) on
> > vegetables, fruits, grains, and so on?
> >
> > Personally, I hate cooking, and cooking is all about exposing food to
> > fire. Its not the fire that I hate, it's the fact that food burns, gets
> > stuck to pots and pans, and requires precise timing and control of the
> > flames. Something I have never been able to get right!
> >
> > If it was not for restaurants, I'd live on salads and other raw fruit
> > and veggies.

> You're in luck - in the future, we'll be 3-D printing our foods and
> microwaving it. No fire involved - unless you consider electromagnetic
> radiation to be "fire." I can't wait!
> =========
>
> Hey talking about your future predictions, did you predict that a car could
> inform other similar cars of free parking spots???
>
> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ars-fleet.html
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

What I said is that the cars will be networking with each other and relaying information within the network. This should reduce the reliance on sensors needed by an individual car and will enable the cars in the network to act as a single entity which will probably increase the efficiency of the system.

Connectivity is going to be a thing in the future. We need to have a universal networking protocol that allows my toaster to talk to my car or washing machine. OTOH, my guess is that those Mercedes won't be sharing any parking info with cars they consider inferior.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, September 3, 2016 at 8:41:52 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Friday, September 2, 2016 at 5:45:40 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> > Who Decided that Food Needs to be Exposed to Fire before it's eaten.
> > With a few exceptions, almost everything we eat is exposed to fire in
> > some form or other. WHY??????
> >
> > Ok, I would not want to eat raw meat, but why must we cook (use fire) on
> > vegetables, fruits, grains, and so on?
> >
> > Personally, I hate cooking, and cooking is all about exposing food to
> > fire. Its not the fire that I hate, it's the fact that food burns, gets
> > stuck to pots and pans, and requires precise timing and control of the
> > flames. Something I have never been able to get right!
> >
> > If it was not for restaurants, I'd live on salads and other raw fruit
> > and veggies.

> You're in luck - in the future, we'll be 3-D printing our foods and
> microwaving it. No fire involved - unless you consider electromagnetic
> radiation to be "fire." I can't wait!
> =========
>
> Hey talking about your future predictions, did you predict that a car
> could
> inform other similar cars of free parking spots???
>
> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ars-fleet.html
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

What I said is that the cars will be networking with each other and relaying
information within the network. This should reduce the reliance on sensors
needed by an individual car and will enable the cars in the network to act
as a single entity which will probably increase the efficiency of the
system.

Connectivity is going to be a thing in the future. We need to have a
universal networking protocol that allows my toaster to talk to my car or
washing machine. OTOH, my guess is that those Mercedes won't be sharing any
parking info with cars they consider inferior.

==================

LOL I never thought of that)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Saturday, September 3, 2016 at 8:41:52 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > You're in luck - in the future, we'll be 3-D printing our foods and
> > microwaving it. No fire involved - unless you consider electromagnetic
> > radiation to be "fire." I can't wait!
> > =========
> >
> > Hey talking about your future predictions, did you predict that a car could
> > inform other similar cars of free parking spots???

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ars-fleet.html

> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> What I said is that the cars will be networking with each other and relaying information within the network. This should reduce the reliance on sensors needed by an individual car and will enable the cars in the network to act as a single entity which will probably increase the efficiency of the system.
>
> Connectivity is going to be a thing in the future. We need to have a universal networking protocol that allows my toaster to talk to my car or washing machine. OTOH, my guess is that those Mercedes won't be sharing any parking info with cars they consider inferior.

IoE, the Internet of Everything:

http://ioeassessment.cisco.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 3, 2016 at 11:31:44 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> In article >,
> dsi10yahoo.com says...
> >
> > On Saturday, September 3, 2016 at 8:41:52 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > > "dsi1" wrote in message
> > >
> > > You're in luck - in the future, we'll be 3-D printing our foods and
> > > microwaving it. No fire involved - unless you consider electromagnetic
> > > radiation to be "fire." I can't wait!
> > > =========
> > >
> > > Hey talking about your future predictions, did you predict that a car could
> > > inform other similar cars of free parking spots???
> > >
> > > http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ars-fleet.html
> > >

> > > --
> > > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> > What I said is that the cars will be networking with each other and relaying information within the network. This should reduce the reliance on sensors needed by an individual car and will enable the cars in the network to act as a single entity which will probably increase the efficiency of the system.
> >
> > Connectivity is going to be a thing in the future. We need to have a universal networking protocol that allows my toaster to talk to my car or washing machine. OTOH, my guess is that those Mercedes won't be sharing any parking info with cars they consider inferior.

> IoE, the Internet of Everything:
>
> http://ioeassessment.cisco.com/

These days, even hearing aids talk to each other.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/2016 2:15 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> You're in luck - in the future, we'll be 3-D printing our foods and microwaving it. No fire involved - unless you consider electromagnetic radiation to be "fire." I can't wait!

I can wait. Given a choice between a thick ribeye steak cooked over a
hot fire and microwaved food, I'm taking the steak.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 3, 2016 at 9:08:08 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 9/3/2016 2:15 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>

> > You're in luck - in the future, we'll be 3-D printing our foods and microwaving it. No fire involved - unless you consider electromagnetic radiation to be "fire." I can't wait!
> >

> I can wait. Given a choice between a thick ribeye steak cooked over a
> hot fire and microwaved food, I'm taking the steak.

What you say is true however, in the future, that choice will not be an option. We are rapidly approaching the end of man's association/partnership with meat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 3, 2016 at 10:10:00 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> In article >,
> dsi1yahoo.com says...

> > > I can wait. Given a choice between a thick ribeye steak cooked over a
> > > hot fire and microwaved food, I'm taking the steak.

> > What you say is true however, in the future, that choice will not be an option. We are rapidly approaching the end of man's association/partnership with meat.

> I think it's more likely that meat will come from factories, where it
> grows independently, without the need of an animal's brain and therefore
> without any suffering. It might even taste better than today's factory
> meat that comes with the management inconvenience that there's a whole
> animal attached to it.

I can't say which way we're going to go with this. We may grow meat without the animal as an interim step. My guess is that we'll eventually find some faster way of making the stuff or forego it completely. I, for one, don't think it's nice to kill an animal for meat - just don't put a nicely aged and grilled medium rare porterhouse in front of me. God knows what may happen.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 3 Sep 2016 21:20:35 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

>Yesterday on Science Friday, there was a segment on a company developing
>"healthy fat" from mealworms, including plans for a "mealworm butter."

Given the poor track record on what science regards as healthy and
unhealhty fats, I think I'll pass

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l not -l wrote:

> There was even mention of a cricket flour

There is a bakery in the SF Bay Area that uses cricket flour. Saw that
on "Bizarre Foods" episode once. Bunch of damn hippies is all. It's a
cricket holocaust and everyone thinks thats a good thing. lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2016 9:06 AM, Gary wrote:
> l not -l wrote:
>>
>> There was even mention of a cricket flour

> There is a bakery in the SF Bay Area that uses cricket flour. Saw that
> on "Bizarre Foods" episode once. Bunch of damn hippies is all. It's a
> cricket holocaust and everyone thinks thats a good thing. lol

Ever try to sleep with a cricket chirping somewhere in your house? It's
maddening!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
>l not -l wrote:
>>
>> There was even mention of a cricket flour

> There is a bakery in the SF Bay Area that uses cricket flour. Saw that
> on "Bizarre Foods" episode once. Bunch of damn hippies is all. It's a
> cricket holocaust and everyone thinks thats a good thing. lol

And some of the techies are eating the crickets as healthy snacks according
the paper a few days ago. They can have mine.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/2016 3:08 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 9/3/2016 2:15 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>

>> You're in luck - in the future, we'll be 3-D printing our foods and
>> microwaving it. No fire involved - unless you consider electromagnetic
>> radiation to be "fire." I can't wait!
>>

> I can wait. Given a choice between a thick ribeye steak cooked over a
> hot fire and microwaved food, I'm taking the steak.

I'm with you, Ed. I do not want to eat food that is manufactured by a
3-D printer. Gee, that certainly LOOKS like a bowl of broccoli. Just
give me the broccoli instead.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-09-06, Mark Storkamp > wrote:

> You're in luck. I just happened to see the answer to this on the History
> Channel. It was aliens. 12,000 years ago in the Mesopotamia area. They
> mixed their DNA with the hominids they found indigenous there and taught
> them everything about civilization. And since it was on the History
> Channel, it must be true.

Oh Jaysus, are you talking about the Anunnaki? I've got a couple
friends (strange, but true) who have been trying to convince me of
this nonsense fer months. Here, you read it. I cannot even discuss
this silliness without falling into a laughing fit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anunnaki

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2016-09-06, Mark Storkamp > wrote:
>
> > You're in luck. I just happened to see the answer to this on the History
> > Channel. It was aliens. 12,000 years ago in the Mesopotamia area. They
> > mixed their DNA with the hominids they found indigenous there and taught
> > them everything about civilization. And since it was on the History
> > Channel, it must be true.

> Oh Jaysus, are you talking about the Anunnaki? I've got a couple
> friends (strange, but true) who have been trying to convince me of
> this nonsense fer months. Here, you read it. I cannot even discuss
> this silliness without falling into a laughing fit:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anunnaki
>
> nb

THAT'S IT! You're not convinced?? How can you not trust this guy?

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/35luvz/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-09-06, Mark Storkamp > wrote:

> notbob > wrote:

>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anunnaki

> THAT'S IT! You're not convinced?? How can you not trust this guy?

Shots?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 3 Sep 2016 13:43:17 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

>On 2-Sep-2016, wrote:
>
>> Who Decided that Food Needs to be Exposed to Fire before it's eaten.

>Most sources attribute it to Ogg, who was eating the right haunch of a large
>bird and had some root vegetables on the flat rock he used as a table. A
>lightning storm came up (just lightning, no significant rain) and Ogg took
>cover in his cave. Lightning struck a bush next to his flat rock and burned
>for quite a while. When he returned to his dinner, Ogg found it strangely
>transformed by the fire. The meat was much more delicious; Ogg named the
>effect "the my-yard" reaction, since the transformation occured in his front
>yard. The root vegetable were so much easier to eat; they were softer,
>making it so much easier to eat with missing and deteriorated teeth. It
>caught on because so many of Ogg's friends and family also had problems with
>their teeth - this happened many years before O-rel-B discovered how
>rubbing a twig on teeth 2-3 times/day could keep them from rotting so much.
>Anyway, by the time teeth were better, people were accustomed to "firing"
>their food and have continued without really know why they do it, it's just
>what you do with food. It's sort-of like responding to dumb-ass troll
>questions; nobody knows why we do it, we just do - it's tradition.

here here...what an excellent response...to an idiot!

William

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/2016 9:43 AM, l not -l wrote:
> On 2-Sep-2016, wrote:
>
>> Who Decided that Food Needs to be Exposed to Fire before it's eaten.

> Most sources attribute it to Ogg, who was eating the right haunch of a large
> bird and had some root vegetables on the flat rock he used as a table. A
> lightning storm came up (just lightning, no significant rain) and Ogg took
> cover in his cave. Lightning struck a bush next to his flat rock and burned
> for quite a while. When he returned to his dinner, Ogg found it strangely
> transformed by the fire. The meat was much more delicious; Ogg named the
> effect "the my-yard" reaction, since the transformation occured in his front
> yard. The root vegetable were so much easier to eat; they were softer,
> making it so much easier to eat with missing and deteriorated teeth. It
> caught on because so many of Ogg's friends and family also had problems with
> their teeth - this happened many years before O-rel-B discovered how
> rubbing a twig on teeth 2-3 times/day could keep them from rotting so much.
> Anyway, by the time teeth were better, people were accustomed to "firing"
> their food and have continued without really know why they do it, it's just
> what you do with food. It's sort-of like responding to dumb-ass troll
> questions; nobody knows why we do it, we just do - it's tradition.

Cha'ching! I vote this the best reply to a troll ever!

Jill