Jarkat2002

Default Pizza Crust

Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for pizza crust? We like our crust on
the thin/medum side and not sweet. The last 2 times I have made pizza crust it
was OK but nothing special.
Yes, I know I could google .. But I would like to have a recommendation.
Thanks!
~Kat

What did my hands do before they held you?
Sylvia Plath (1932 - 1963)
zxcvbob

Jarkat2002 wrote:
> Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for pizza crust? We like our crust on
> the thin/medum side and not sweet. The last 2 times I have made pizza crust it
> was OK but nothing special.
> Yes, I know I could google .. But I would like to have a recommendation.
> Thanks!
> ~Kat
>

> What did my hands do before they held you?
> Sylvia Plath (1932 - 1963)

I mix 2 cups bread flour, 1 cup hot water. Add a tsp. yeast, 1/2 tsp salt,
1 Tbsp olive oil or bacon grease, and sometimes a big pinch of sugar.
Knead in electric mixer for about 5 minutes. Let rest/rise until it starts
looking puffy. Form into a crust (I form it into a disk about an inch
thick, then press it into a pizza pan with my fingertips.)

If you use all-purpose flour with this much water, I suspect you'll have a
gooey mess instead of a dough.

Best regards,
Bob
leo

"Jarkat2002" > wrote in message
> Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for pizza crust? We like our

crust on
> the thin/medum side and not sweet. The last 2 times I have made pizza

crust it
> was OK but nothing special.
> Yes, I know I could google .. But I would like to have a recommendation.
> Thanks!
> ~Kat

Google for Wolfgang Puck pizza dough. The only one we ever use.

leo

PENMART01

>"Loki"
>
> (Jarkat2002) asks:
>
>> Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for pizza crust?

>Well mine is pretty simple, but was originally based on a recipe in a
>book and from my sister in Italy.
>
>1 cup (250 ml) strong flour

<snip>
>roll flat as possible

If it can be rolled it's not pizza dough.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Loki

il 06 Feb 2004 09:13:29 +1300, "Loki" ha scritto:
oh, and as much water as need, which is about half a cup, but i just
never measure and do it by feel and look.

--
Cheers,

Brian Macke

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 13:17:42 +0000, Jarkat2002 wrote:

> Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for pizza crust? We like our
> crust on the thin/medum side and not sweet. The last 2 times I have
> made pizza crust it was OK but nothing special.
> Yes, I know I could google .. But I would like to have a recommendation.
> Thanks!

This is a mostly weight/metric recipe. I use this without fail.

1tsp active dry yeast
125ml water at 42C
250g bread flour, sifted
1/2tsp salt
15ml olive oil

Mix the water and yeast and let it bloom. Mix the flour and salt in a
stand mixer. Make a well in the middle. Add yeast water and oil. Mix until
ingredients form a single mass. Switch to a dough hook and let it run for
about eight minutes. Take the dough out and glaze the inside of the bowl
with olive oil (less than a teaspoon). Cover and let sit in a warm place
until doubled.

Punch down and form into a 14" crust. Move it to a peel and let it proof
for another 30 minutes. Make up the ingredients while the dough proofs.

I'd suggest no more than 250g of cheese and no more than 300g of
ingredients. Otherwise the pizza will be crowded.

Enjoy!

--
-Brian James Macke
"In order to get that which you wish for, you must first get that which

Jerry DeAngelis

Mark

Have you tried the pizza crust on The Artisan? We have had very good
results, and good reviews. Here is the link:
http://www.theartisan.net/pizzabas.htm

Pls feel free to contact us if you have problems or question.

Regards

Jerry @ The Artisan
http://www.theartisan.net

http://www.panix.com/~mshaw

> "How can any culture that has more lawyers
> than butchers call itself a civilization?" - Alton Brown

occupant

Jarkat2002 wrote:
> like crust thin/medum side
> last time crust was OK but nothing special.

Apart from making the dough, a crust is much affected by the conditions
of the oven and whether or not you
use a baking stone. How hot was your oven? How long did you preheat?
Did you use a baking stone? Did you let the pizza rise on the peel or
counter for 30 min. at least before putting in the oven? How thick or
thin was the cheese and the sauce? These heavy ingredients affect how
the dough is cooked beneath? Was you dough sticky or dry?