Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default MOWED ALL DAY & SCRAGGLY

Lots of mowing:
http://i67.tinypic.com/9bjcp1.jpg
http://i63.tinypic.com/11ta0ar.jpg
Scraggly, an old feral who has been here more than ten years, a very
smart cat to have survived so long:
http://i65.tinypic.com/24qshtw.jpg
http://i66.tinypic.com/2ryrlv5.jpg
Scraggly has taken up residense in a heated house inside my gardening
shed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" wrote in message

Lots of mowing:
http://i67.tinypic.com/9bjcp1.jpg
http://i63.tinypic.com/11ta0ar.jpg
Scraggly, an old feral who has been here more than ten years, a very
smart cat to have survived so long:
http://i65.tinypic.com/24qshtw.jpg
http://i66.tinypic.com/2ryrlv5.jpg
Scraggly has taken up residense in a heated house inside my gardening
shed.

------------------------------

Lucky Scraggly

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>Lots of mowing:
>http://i67.tinypic.com/9bjcp1.jpg
>http://i63.tinypic.com/11ta0ar.jpg
>Scraggly, an old feral who has been here more than ten years, a very
>smart cat to have survived so long:
>http://i65.tinypic.com/24qshtw.jpg
>http://i66.tinypic.com/2ryrlv5.jpg
>Scraggly has taken up residense in a heated house inside my gardening
>shed.
>
>-------------
>
>Lucky Scraggly

That's Scraggly the first time I spotted him about four years ago, in
the forest path near my barn:
http://i63.tinypic.com/14no3ug.jpg
Forest path:
http://i67.tinypic.com/rc9b4l.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>Lots of mowing:
>http://i67.tinypic.com/9bjcp1.jpg
>http://i63.tinypic.com/11ta0ar.jpg
>Scraggly, an old feral who has been here more than ten years, a very
>smart cat to have survived so long:
>http://i65.tinypic.com/24qshtw.jpg
>http://i66.tinypic.com/2ryrlv5.jpg
>Scraggly has taken up residense in a heated house inside my gardening
>shed.
>
>-------------
>
>Lucky Scraggly

That's Scraggly the first time I spotted him about four years ago, in
the forest path near my barn:
http://i63.tinypic.com/14no3ug.jpg
Forest path:
http://i67.tinypic.com/rc9b4l.jpg
--------------

He is certainly at home now)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> That's Scraggly the first time I spotted him about four years ago, in
> the forest path near my barn:
> http://i63.tinypic.com/14no3ug.jpg
> Forest path:
> http://i67.tinypic.com/rc9b4l.jpg

A real question for you, Sheldon. So you have all these feral barn cats,
etc. You see them in your yard everyday and you do take care of them.
Are they friendly to you like pet cats? Do they come up to you and let
you pet them, etc? Or do they keep their distance from you?

I'm asking about the difference between the ferals outside and your
house cats inside.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 12:23:10 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> That's Scraggly the first time I spotted him about four years ago, in
>> the forest path near my barn:
>> http://i63.tinypic.com/14no3ug.jpg
>> Forest path:
>> http://i67.tinypic.com/rc9b4l.jpg

>A real question for you, Sheldon. So you have all these feral barn cats,
>etc. You see them in your yard everyday and you do take care of them.
>Are they friendly to you like pet cats? Do they come up to you and let
>you pet them, etc? Or do they keep their distance from you?
>
>I'm asking about the difference between the ferals outside and your
>house cats inside.

Some ferals will very occasionally permit one quick pet but they
quickly back off. To survive outdoors it's best they remain totally
feral. I don't encourage petting them. What some call indoor-outdoor
cats have lost their survival skills and won't last long outdoors.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, gravesend10
@verizon.net says...

> On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 12:23:10 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> >Brooklyn1 wrote:
> >>
> >> That's Scraggly the first time I spotted him about four years ago, in
> >> the forest path near my barn:
> >> http://i63.tinypic.com/14no3ug.jpg
> >> Forest path:
> >> http://i67.tinypic.com/rc9b4l.jpg

> >A real question for you, Sheldon. So you have all these feral barn cats,
> >etc. You see them in your yard everyday and you do take care of them.
> >Are they friendly to you like pet cats? Do they come up to you and let
> >you pet them, etc? Or do they keep their distance from you?
> >
> >I'm asking about the difference between the ferals outside and your
> >house cats inside.

> Some ferals will very occasionally permit one quick pet but they
> quickly back off. To survive outdoors it's best they remain totally
> feral. I don't encourage petting them. What some call indoor-outdoor
> cats have lost their survival skills and won't last long outdoors.

It took around six months to persuade our savage feral cat (lives and
fed outside) to let me scritch the top of his head. I persisted because
I wanted to apply a drops-behind-the-neck flea treatment. Finally I
managed to drip it on while he was eating and his big bald patches grew
back in. Also wormed him (in his food). Unfortunately our latest dog
spooked the cat which took off for several months; but he's started
turning up again for a meal (very wary and nervous) and now I can't get
near enough for a follow up flea dose.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 00:41:33 +0100, Janet > wrote:

>In article >, gravesend10
says...

>> >A real question for you, Sheldon. So you have all these feral barn cats,
>> >etc. You see them in your yard everyday and you do take care of them.
>> >Are they friendly to you like pet cats? Do they come up to you and let
>> >you pet them, etc? Or do they keep their distance from you?
>> >
>> >I'm asking about the difference between the ferals outside and your
>> >house cats inside.

>> Some ferals will very occasionally permit one quick pet but they
>> quickly back off. To survive outdoors it's best they remain totally
>> feral. I don't encourage petting them. What some call indoor-outdoor
>> cats have lost their survival skills and won't last long outdoors.

> It took around six months to persuade our savage feral cat (lives and
>fed outside) to let me scritch the top of his head. I persisted because
>I wanted to apply a drops-behind-the-neck flea treatment. Finally I
>managed to drip it on while he was eating and his big bald patches grew
>back in. Also wormed him (in his food). Unfortunately our latest dog
>spooked the cat which took off for several months; but he's started
>turning up again for a meal (very wary and nervous) and now I can't get
>near enough for a follow up flea dose.
>
> Janet UK

I do the same, I dose them as I can. I think those flea meds last a
lot longer than advertised. I mix brewer's yeast into their dried
food, that keeps the fleas away also... costs a lot less too.
https://www.amazon.com/AniMed-389112...s+yeast+powder
Most of the ferals prefer dried food, rather than canned they prefer
their fresh kill. For treats I give them Purina kitten chow, ferals
can use the extra nutrients and calories, especially in winter when
most days it's well below zero, -20ºF is normal here in winter,
occasionally it it can be -40ºF for several days. They survive
because I provide heated shelters and heated water, only costs a few
pennies a day. I provide heated bird baths too. In winter water is
frozen and critters need water... actually costs nothing to keep water
melted in bird baths with solar heaters, well I have to buy the solar
heaters but they cost very little, and I do whatever I can to help all
the critters. I don't give to people charities, they can get a job.
Critters have no pockets, they don't steal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Aug 2016, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 12:23:10 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>>
>>> That's Scraggly the first time I spotted him about four years ago, in
>>> the forest path near my barn:
>>> http://i63.tinypic.com/14no3ug.jpg
>>> Forest path:
>>> http://i67.tinypic.com/rc9b4l.jpg

>> A real question for you, Sheldon. So you have all these feral barn cats,
>> etc. You see them in your yard everyday and you do take care of them.
>> Are they friendly to you like pet cats? Do they come up to you and let
>> you pet them, etc? Or do they keep their distance from you?
>>
>> I'm asking about the difference between the ferals outside and your
>> house cats inside.

> Some ferals will very occasionally permit one quick pet but they
> quickly back off. To survive outdoors it's best they remain totally
> feral. I don't encourage petting them. What some call indoor-outdoor
> cats have lost their survival skills and won't last long outdoors.

Is there any Trap-Neuter-Return program out by you, or are they all intact
and reproducing?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 21:53:25 -0500, barbie gee >
wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Aug 2016, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> A real question for you, Sheldon. So you have all these feral barn cats,
>>> etc. You see them in your yard everyday and you do take care of them.
>>> Are they friendly to you like pet cats? Do they come up to you and let
>>> you pet them, etc? Or do they keep their distance from you?
>>>
>>> I'm asking about the difference between the ferals outside and your
>>> house cats inside.

>> Some ferals will very occasionally permit one quick pet but they
>> quickly back off. To survive outdoors it's best they remain totally
>> feral. I don't encourage petting them. What some call indoor-outdoor
>> cats have lost their survival skills and won't last long outdoors.
>>

>Is there any Trap-Neuter-Return program out by you, or are they all intact
>and reproducing?

Mine have all been trapped, fixed, and given shots.
Animalk Kind performs a wonderful service for cats only... they have
lots of cats, kittens, and barn cats for adoption:
http://www.animalkindny.com/
Check them out at your own risk, you'll probably have trouble deciding
which ten to adopt:
http://www.animalkindny.com/animals