FoodBanter.com

-   -   Problems Making Purified Butter / Indian Ghee (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/439711-problems-making-purified-butter.html)

W 14-08-2016 09:54 AM

Problems Making Purified Butter / Indian Ghee

I make my own Indian Ghee from grassfed butter, using these instructions:
http://thehealthyfoodie.com/homemade-ghee/

I have done this maybe 15 times, always successfully, and I end up with a
golden honey color. Today I tried a new local butter, and I ran into
disaster and need to try to understand what happened.

Normally what happens is in the last five minutes, the butter starts to give
off a burning smell and the milk solids sink to the bottom of the pan. You
pour this over a good filter and what gets through is a pure fat without the
dairy proteins (purified butter).

Today, the ghee turned black, almost like a cup of coffee. Normally what I
see happen is that the milk solids burn off and separate from the ghee.
This happened this time, but in addition it looks like the ghee itself has
been burned, maybe ruined. I am typically cooking the ghee at under
boiling temperatures for water, so I don't see how this is even possible.
Purified butter has a smoke point of 450 degrees and I am not cooking at
anywhere close to that temperature.

Half of me is wondering if the butter still has dairy solids bound into it
and needs to be cooked even longer to burn these off. The other half of me
thinks maybe the butter I am using (Strauss Family Creamery) has some
characteristic that makes it difficult to use for ghee:
http://strausfamilycreamery.com/products/organic-butter
and I have ruined the batch.

I don't understand how ghee could end up black and looking and smelling
burned. Does anyone have a theory about what went wrong here, and is there
anything that can be done at this point?

Don Wiss 14-08-2016 01:15 PM

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 01:54:49 -0700, W > wrote:

>I make my own Indian Ghee from grassfed butter, using these instructions:

>thinks maybe the butter I am using (Strauss Family Creamery) has some
>characteristic that makes it difficult to use for ghee:
>http://strausfamilycreamery.com/products/organic-butter

But the Strauss Family Creamery cows are not 100% grass fed. From the site:

"Their balanced, vegetarian diet consists mostly of fresh pasture grasses,
silage and hay, as well as feeds that are 100% certified organic and
Verified Non-GMO."

Don. http://paleofood.com/ (e-mail at page bottom).

notbob 14-08-2016 05:08 PM

On 2016-08-14, W > wrote:

> pour this over a good filter......

Please elaborate on what makes a "good" filter. ;)

nb

Taxed and Spent 14-08-2016 05:13 PM

On 8/14/2016 1:54 AM, W wrote:
> I make my own Indian Ghee from grassfed butter, using these instructions:
> http://thehealthyfoodie.com/homemade-ghee/
>
> I have done this maybe 15 times, always successfully, and I end up with a
> golden honey color. Today I tried a new local butter, and I ran into
> disaster and need to try to understand what happened.
>
> Normally what happens is in the last five minutes, the butter starts to give
> off a burning smell and the milk solids sink to the bottom of the pan. You
> pour this over a good filter and what gets through is a pure fat without the
> dairy proteins (purified butter).
>
> Today, the ghee turned black, almost like a cup of coffee. Normally what I
> see happen is that the milk solids burn off and separate from the ghee.
> This happened this time, but in addition it looks like the ghee itself has
> been burned, maybe ruined. I am typically cooking the ghee at under
> boiling temperatures for water, so I don't see how this is even possible.
> Purified butter has a smoke point of 450 degrees and I am not cooking at
> anywhere close to that temperature.
>
> Half of me is wondering if the butter still has dairy solids bound into it
> and needs to be cooked even longer to burn these off. The other half of me
> thinks maybe the butter I am using (Strauss Family Creamery) has some
> characteristic that makes it difficult to use for ghee:
> http://strausfamilycreamery.com/products/organic-butter
> and I have ruined the batch.
>
> I don't understand how ghee could end up black and looking and smelling
> burned. Does anyone have a theory about what went wrong here, and is there
> anything that can be done at this point?

How does it taste?

You might take a small amount and cook it more and see what happens. I
can't imagine it will clear up, though.

Or maybe use a flocculating agent and see what happens?

brooklyn1 14-08-2016 07:24 PM

W wrote:

>I make my own Indian Ghee from grassfed butter, using these instructions:
>http://thehealthyfoodie.com/homemade-ghee/
>
>I don't understand how ghee could end up black and looking and smelling
>burned. Does anyone have a theory about what went wrong here, and is there
>anything that can be done at this point?

When preparing ghee at too high a heat the milk solids will burn.
At that point either enjoy the burnt taste or toss it out for the
critters and start over. Ghee is pricy because to do it right takes
time, you can't rush it.

W 14-08-2016 09:37 PM

wrote:

> >I make my own Indian Ghee from grassfed butter, using these instructions:

> >thinks maybe the butter I am using (Strauss Family Creamery) has some
> >characteristic that makes it difficult to use for ghee:
> >http://strausfamilycreamery.com/products/organic-butter

> But the Strauss Family Creamery cows are not 100% grass fed. From the

site:

> "Their balanced, vegetarian diet consists mostly of fresh pasture grasses,
> silage and hay, as well as feeds that are 100% certified organic and
> Verified Non-GMO."

Several points on that.

1) This was the one and only time I used that butter, as an experiment. I
normally use Irish Kerry brand, which "claims" to be grassfed.

2) It turns out that no one raising dairy cows ever feeds them only grass.
Meat cattle are raised on 100% grass all the time. Dairy cattle need more
energy in order to produce milk every day, so - very unfortunately - they
all get grain.

This is the same problem you find with eggs. All of those eggs claiming to
be "pasture raised" are in fact getting more than 50% of their daily energy
from grains. They need high caloric diets to produce eggs every day.

W 14-08-2016 09:38 PM

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2016-08-14, W > wrote:
>
> > pour this over a good filter......

> Please elaborate on what makes a "good" filter. ;)

I normally use a metal mesh on the base, and I put a nut butter bag on top.

W 14-08-2016 09:39 PM

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> W wrote:
> >I make my own Indian Ghee from grassfed butter, using these instructions:
> >http://thehealthyfoodie.com/homemade-ghee/
> >
> >I don't understand how ghee could end up black and looking and smelling
> >burned. Does anyone have a theory about what went wrong here, and is

there
> >anything that can be done at this point?

> When preparing ghee at too high a heat the milk solids will burn.
> At that point either enjoy the burnt taste or toss it out for the
> critters and start over. Ghee is pricy because to do it right takes
> time, you can't rush it.

Do you have any advice on preparation, either temperatures, timing, or
visual clues?

notbob 14-08-2016 10:45 PM

On 2016-08-14, W > wrote:
> "notbob" > wrote in message

>> > pour this over a good filter......

>> Please elaborate on what makes a "good" filter. ;)

> I normally use a metal mesh on the base, and I put a nut butter bag on top.

OK. What is a "nut butter bag"?

(seriously)

nb

Jeßus[_56_] 14-08-2016 10:56 PM

On 14 Aug 2016 21:45:39 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>>> Please elaborate on what makes a "good" filter. ;)

>> I normally use a metal mesh on the base, and I put a nut butter bag on top.

>OK. What is a "nut butter bag"?
>
>(seriously)

Dunno, but it sounds similar to muslin/cheesecloth to me.

brooklyn1 14-08-2016 11:57 PM

Problems Making Purified Butter / Indian Ghee

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 13:39:23 -0700, "W" >
wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
.. .
>> W wrote:
>> >I make my own Indian Ghee from grassfed butter, using these instructions:
>> >http://thehealthyfoodie.com/homemade-ghee/
>> >
>> >I don't understand how ghee could end up black and looking and smelling
>> >burned. Does anyone have a theory about what went wrong here, and is

>there
>> >anything that can be done at this point?

>> When preparing ghee at too high a heat the milk solids will burn.
>> At that point either enjoy the burnt taste or toss it out for the
>> critters and start over. Ghee is pricy because to do it right takes
>> time, you can't rush it.

>Do you have any advice on preparation, either temperatures, timing, or
>visual clues?

I haven't made ghee in many years but google is your friend.
However common sense would dictate to use the lowest heat your
stovetop is capable of. Unless you were after a particularly flavored
ghee I'd say to buy ready made.

Ed Pawlowski 15-08-2016 12:10 AM

On 8/14/2016 5:56 PM, Je�us wrote:
> On 14 Aug 2016 21:45:39 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>>> I normally use a metal mesh on the base, and I put a nut butter bag on top.

>> OK. What is a "nut butter bag"?
>>
>> (seriously)

> Dunno, but it sounds similar to muslin/cheesecloth to me.

Or a mesh that holds peanut butter or suet for the birds to feed on.

notbob 15-08-2016 12:21 AM

On 2016-08-14, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On 8/14/2016 5:56 PM, Je???us wrote:

>> On 14 Aug 2016 21:45:39 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>>> OK. What is a "nut butter bag"?

>> Dunno, but it sounds similar to muslin/cheesecloth to me.

> Or a mesh that holds peanut butter or suet for the birds to feed on.

Howzabout you bozos quit guessing and let the person I asked, answer?

nb

Jeßus[_56_] 15-08-2016 12:33 AM

On 14 Aug 2016 23:21:06 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2016-08-14, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>>> Dunno, but it sounds similar to muslin/cheesecloth to me.

>> Or a mesh that holds peanut butter or suet for the birds to feed on.

>Howzabout you bozos quit guessing and let the person I asked, answer?

Was that so terrible, was it? 'Howzabout' you 'jes' go and ****
yourself.

brooklyn1 15-08-2016 12:52 AM

On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 07:56:30 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:

>On 14 Aug 2016 21:45:39 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>>> I normally use a metal mesh on the base, and I put a nut butter bag on top.

>>OK. What is a "nut butter bag"?
>>
>>(seriously)

>Dunno, but it sounds similar to muslin/cheesecloth to me.

Nut butter bags:
http://www.trojanbrands.com/en/condoms

notbob 15-08-2016 12:56 AM

On 2016-08-14, Jeßus > wrote:

> Was that so terrible, was it? 'Howzabout' you 'jes' go and ****
> yourself.

Whether or not my post is "so terrible" remains to be seen.
Surprisingly, yer the last person I expected such a mean response,
from.

nb

Jeßus[_56_] 15-08-2016 01:08 AM

On 14 Aug 2016 23:56:37 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>>> Or a mesh that holds peanut butter or suet for the birds to feed on.

>>Howzabout you bozos quit guessing and let the person I asked, answer?

>> Was that so terrible, was it? 'Howzabout' you 'jes' go and ****
>> yourself.

>Whether or not my post is "so terrible" remains to be seen.
>Surprisingly, yer the last person I expected such a mean response,
>from.

I dunno why you'd think I wouldn't. Maybe you should read your own
response back to yourself for the reason for it.

Jeßus[_56_] 15-08-2016 01:08 AM

Problems Making Purified Butter / Indian Ghee

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 19:52:27 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 07:56:30 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:

>>>OK. What is a "nut butter bag"?
>>>
>>>(seriously)

>>Dunno, but it sounds similar to muslin/cheesecloth to me.

>Nut butter bags:
>http://www.trojanbrands.com/en/condoms

No need to click on that one, self explanatory...

Don Wiss 15-08-2016 02:56 AM

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016, Brooklyn1 > wrote:

>I haven't made ghee in many years but google is your friend.
>However common sense would dictate to use the lowest heat your
>stovetop is capable of.

An induction hot plate gets very low.

> Unless you were after a particularly flavored
>ghee I'd say to buy ready made.

The ones I'm familiar with:

http://www.pureindianfoods.com/
http://www.nanakfoods.com/ghee.html

Both are grass-fed, though the second may not be 100% grass-fed. Both can
also be found at Amazon, where you can read reviews.

Don. http://paleofood.com/ (e-mail at page bottom).

Taxed and Spent 15-08-2016 04:37 AM

On 8/14/2016 8:06 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 21:56:04 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 14 Aug 2016, Brooklyn1 > wrote:
>>
>>> Unless you were after a particularly flavored
>>> ghee I'd say to buy ready made.

>> The ones I'm familiar with:
>>
>> http://www.pureindianfoods.com/
>> http://www.nanakfoods.com/ghee.html
>>
>> Both are grass-fed, though the second may not be 100% grass-fed. Both can
>> also be found at Amazon, where you can read reviews.

> Costco here just started carry a big jar of ghee and it wasn't too
> expensive - $15 or $16 for almost 4 pounds.
>
> Looks like this is it:
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Nanak-Pure-Cl.../dp/B001UUVKFS
>
> Not grass fed, but it does have a drawing of a cow and some grass on
> the front label which is good enough for me!
>
> -sw

Did you buy it at Costco, and if so did you like it?

W 15-08-2016 09:02 AM

"notbob" > wrote in message

> >> Please elaborate on what makes a "good" filter. ;)

> > I normally use a metal mesh on the base, and I put a nut butter bag on

top.

> OK. What is a "nut butter bag"?
>
> (seriously)

I meant nut milk, sorry. I have butter on the brain because of this topic.

W 15-08-2016 09:04 AM

"Don Wiss" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2016, Brooklyn1 > wrote:
>
> >I haven't made ghee in many years but google is your friend.
> >However common sense would dictate to use the lowest heat your
> >stovetop is capable of.

> An induction hot plate gets very low.
>
> > Unless you were after a particularly flavored
> >ghee I'd say to buy ready made.

> The ones I'm familiar with:
>
> http://www.pureindianfoods.com/
> http://www.nanakfoods.com/ghee.html
>
> Both are grass-fed, though the second may not be 100% grass-fed. Both can
> also be found at Amazon, where you can read reviews.

And I would maintain that all of the butters that are labeled "grass fed"
are actually not 100% grass fed. If you talk to the actual dairy farmers
they will acknowledge that cows that produce daily milk need more calories
than grass alone can supply, so they supplement with grain.

W 15-08-2016 09:11 AM

"W" > wrote in message
> "Don Wiss" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 14 Aug 2016, Brooklyn1 > wrote:
> >
> > >I haven't made ghee in many years but google is your friend.
> > >However common sense would dictate to use the lowest heat your
> > >stovetop is capable of.

> > An induction hot plate gets very low.
> >
> > > Unless you were after a particularly flavored
> > >ghee I'd say to buy ready made.

> > The ones I'm familiar with:
> >
> > http://www.pureindianfoods.com/
> > http://www.nanakfoods.com/ghee.html
> >
> > Both are grass-fed, though the second may not be 100% grass-fed. Both

can
> > also be found at Amazon, where you can read reviews.

> And I would maintain that all of the butters that are labeled "grass fed"
> are actually not 100% grass fed. If you talk to the actual dairy

farmers
> they will acknowledge that cows that produce daily milk need more calories
> than grass alone can supply, so they supplement with grain.

Typical of the misleading "grassfed butter" labels is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Ghee-Clarifie.../dp/B012JD9X26

It says:

"Grass Fed
Pasture-Raised
No GMOs"

Translation:

" They do graise on grass
They are raised on pasture
We suppolement feed with grains, but it is not GMO grain"

Talk to any dairy farmer on any holistic grassfed sourcing website. They
will acknowledge that cattle sold for their meat can be 100% grass raised,
but cattle raised for their milk require extra energy and therefore get
grains.

Have you ever wondered why all of these small farms that raise 100% grassfed
beef for the meat never sell dairy products like milk or cheese? It's
because the diet that makes the cattle so desirable for the meat market
makes it insufficiently energetic to produce milk daily.

W 15-08-2016 09:21 AM

"W" > wrote in message
> I make my own Indian Ghee from grassfed butter, using these instructions:
> http://thehealthyfoodie.com/homemade-ghee/
>
> I have done this maybe 15 times, always successfully, and I end up with a
> golden honey color. Today I tried a new local butter, and I ran into
> disaster and need to try to understand what happened.
>
> Normally what happens is in the last five minutes, the butter starts to

give
> off a burning smell and the milk solids sink to the bottom of the pan.

You
> pour this over a good filter and what gets through is a pure fat without

the
> dairy proteins (purified butter).
>
> Today, the ghee turned black, almost like a cup of coffee. Normally what

> see happen is that the milk solids burn off and separate from the ghee.
> This happened this time, but in addition it looks like the ghee itself has
> been burned, maybe ruined. I am typically cooking the ghee at under
> boiling temperatures for water, so I don't see how this is even possible.
> Purified butter has a smoke point of 450 degrees and I am not cooking at
> anywhere close to that temperature.
>
> Half of me is wondering if the butter still has dairy solids bound into it
> and needs to be cooked even longer to burn these off. The other half of

me
> thinks maybe the butter I am using (Strauss Family Creamery) has some
> characteristic that makes it difficult to use for ghee:
> http://strausfamilycreamery.com/products/organic-butter
> and I have ruined the batch.
>
> I don't understand how ghee could end up black and looking and smelling
> burned. Does anyone have a theory about what went wrong here, and is

there
> anything that can be done at this point?

I think we have a user error (mine).

I did not fully understand that a vat of fat at a relatively low heat
setting will continue to gain heat and get quite a lot hotter than a saute
with food would (for comparison). I tried using a slightly higher heat
setting, and I think I reached a smoke point for the fat and turned it dark.
The milk solids certainly burned, but those always burn and sink to the
bottom.

The ghee tastes "smoky" but does not taste bad. What do others think?
Should I try to use it? I would normally worry about carcinogens in a fat,
but this is pure saturated fat so it should be very stable chemically.
Most of that burned taste may actually be the milk solids that somehow
emulsified into the butter at high temperature. I'm not sure.

Does anyone sell a good temperature alarm that I can attach to the side of
my burning vat of fat and have it go off when I exceed some threshold (e.g.,
350F)?

Don Wiss 15-08-2016 10:05 AM

On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 01:21:05 -0700, W > wrote:

>Does anyone sell a good temperature alarm that I can attach to the side of
>my burning vat of fat and have it go off when I exceed some threshold (e.g.,
>350F)?

What you want is a candy thermometer. There are lots and lots of them. Some
have alarms. Here's one:

https://www.amazon.com/CDN-DTC450-Di.../dp/B00279OPDU

Don Wiss 15-08-2016 10:30 AM

On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 01:11:14 -0700, W > wrote:

>Talk to any dairy farmer on any holistic grassfed sourcing website. They
>will acknowledge that cattle sold for their meat can be 100% grass raised,
>but cattle raised for their milk require extra energy and therefore get
>grains.

I don't use ghee. Instead I use tallow. My food coop sells for $5.22:

https://epicbar.com/animal-oils-detail/27
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B8V7AC0

I used it the other day to roast sweet potatoes in my ActiFry*.

* The BEST to roast root vegetables:
https://www.amazon.com/s/?url=search...ywords=actifry

Don Wiss 15-08-2016 10:45 AM

Problems Making Purified Butter / Indian Ghee

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 13:39:23 -0700, W > wrote:

>Do you have any advice on preparation, either temperatures, timing, or
>visual clues?

I haven't made ghee. But I do render suet. Here's how I do that:

http://paleofood.com/recipes/fats-suetstepbystep.htm

W 15-08-2016 11:11 AM

wrote:

> >Talk to any dairy farmer on any holistic grassfed sourcing website.

They
> >will acknowledge that cattle sold for their meat can be 100% grass

raised,
> >but cattle raised for their milk require extra energy and therefore get
> >grains.

> I don't use ghee. Instead I use tallow. My food coop sells for $5.22:
>
> https://epicbar.com/animal-oils-detail/27
> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B8V7AC0
>
> I used it the other day to roast sweet potatoes in my ActiFry*.
>
> * The BEST to roast root vegetables:
> https://www.amazon.com/s/?url=search...ywords=actifry

How does beef tallow taste compared to butter? I think I am going to try
this thanks for the idea.

I have heard that duck fat also does a great job with roasting. I have not
tried that either. I found a well reviewed one he

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B8V7ACA

Bruce[_28_] 15-08-2016 11:50 AM

Problems Making Purified Butter / Indian Ghee

In article >,
says...

> On 2016-08-14, Jeßus > wrote:
>
> > Was that so terrible, was it? 'Howzabout' you 'jes' go and ****
> > yourself.

> Whether or not my post is "so terrible" remains to be seen.
> Surprisingly, yer the last person I expected such a mean response,
> from.

This hobby farmer has a very short fuse.

Don Wiss 15-08-2016 05:32 PM

On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 03:11:16 -0700, W > wrote:

>Don Wiss wrote in message
>> I don't use ghee. Instead I use tallow. My food coop sells for $5.22:
>>
>> https://epicbar.com/animal-oils-detail/27
>> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B8V7AC0

>How does beef tallow taste compared to butter? I think I am going to try
>this thanks for the idea.

Sorry, I don't know. I have been dairy-free for over 21 years. The tallow
will have a beef flavor.

Is there a Whole Foods near you? I would think that they would carry it. I
estimate their price will be $7.99 for 11 oz. (The 12 oz on the Amazon page
is wrong.)

I would also buy a jar of duck fat to try. Or chicken or goose fat. Many
brands of schmaltz exist. Though I doubt most will be grass-fed.

Don Wiss 15-08-2016 11:44 PM

On Mon, 15 Aug 2016, Sqwertz > wrote:

>I know the Epic Bar people and the mix-up in the weight/volume is
>being fixed. The products are sold in 12-floz jars. But animal fats
>- unlike vegetable fats - have to sold by weight and not by fluid
>ounces thanks to an obscure FDA rule. Since most fats are less dense
>than water they had to change the labeling and other documentation to
>1oz less than their fluid ounce equivalents. Some old documentation
>and labels still say 12oz, new stuff is rolling out saying 11oz.

Ahhh... Both my jars (the almost empty one and the new one) have 11 oz. The
picture at Amazon has 11 oz. I clicked the product correction link at
Amazon pointing out the 12 oz in the text did not agree with the label
picture.

dsi1[_17_] 16-08-2016 01:23 AM

On Saturday, August 13, 2016 at 10:54:59 PM UTC-10, W wrote:
> I make my own Indian Ghee from grassfed butter, using these instructions:
> http://thehealthyfoodie.com/homemade-ghee/
>
> I have done this maybe 15 times, always successfully, and I end up with a
> golden honey color. Today I tried a new local butter, and I ran into
> disaster and need to try to understand what happened.
>
> Normally what happens is in the last five minutes, the butter starts to give
> off a burning smell and the milk solids sink to the bottom of the pan. You
> pour this over a good filter and what gets through is a pure fat without the
> dairy proteins (purified butter).
>
> Today, the ghee turned black, almost like a cup of coffee. Normally what I
> see happen is that the milk solids burn off and separate from the ghee.
> This happened this time, but in addition it looks like the ghee itself has
> been burned, maybe ruined. I am typically cooking the ghee at under
> boiling temperatures for water, so I don't see how this is even possible.
> Purified butter has a smoke point of 450 degrees and I am not cooking at
> anywhere close to that temperature.
>
> Half of me is wondering if the butter still has dairy solids bound into it
> and needs to be cooked even longer to burn these off. The other half of me
> thinks maybe the butter I am using (Strauss Family Creamery) has some
> characteristic that makes it difficult to use for ghee:
> http://strausfamilycreamery.com/products/organic-butter
> and I have ruined the batch.
>
> I don't understand how ghee could end up black and looking and smelling
> burned. Does anyone have a theory about what went wrong here, and is there
> anything that can be done at this point?
>
> --

I'm guessing that you can't do a thing about the taste. Next time watch the pot more carefully once the water has boiled off. When that happens, the temperature will rise rapidly. My guess is that you were distracted sometime during this critical period. Maybe your eyesight is getting bad. Better luck next time.