Old 14-08-2016, 09:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
W W is offline

Default Problems Making Purified Butter / Indian Ghee

I make my own Indian Ghee from grassfed butter, using these instructions:
http://thehealthyfoodie.com/homemade-ghee/

I have done this maybe 15 times, always successfully, and I end up with a
golden honey color. Today I tried a new local butter, and I ran into
disaster and need to try to understand what happened.

Normally what happens is in the last five minutes, the butter starts to give
off a burning smell and the milk solids sink to the bottom of the pan. You
pour this over a good filter and what gets through is a pure fat without the
dairy proteins (purified butter).

Today, the ghee turned black, almost like a cup of coffee. Normally what I
see happen is that the milk solids burn off and separate from the ghee.
This happened this time, but in addition it looks like the ghee itself has
been burned, maybe ruined. I am typically cooking the ghee at under
boiling temperatures for water, so I don't see how this is even possible.
Purified butter has a smoke point of 450 degrees and I am not cooking at
anywhere close to that temperature.

Half of me is wondering if the butter still has dairy solids bound into it
and needs to be cooked even longer to burn these off. The other half of me
thinks maybe the butter I am using (Strauss Family Creamery) has some
characteristic that makes it difficult to use for ghee:
http://strausfamilycreamery.com/products/organic-butter
and I have ruined the batch.

I don't understand how ghee could end up black and looking and smelling
burned. Does anyone have a theory about what went wrong here, and is there
anything that can be done at this point?

Old 14-08-2016, 01:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 01:54:49 -0700, W wrote:

I make my own Indian Ghee from grassfed butter, using these instructions:

thinks maybe the butter I am using (Strauss Family Creamery) has some
characteristic that makes it difficult to use for ghee:
http://strausfamilycreamery.com/products/organic-butter

But the Strauss Family Creamery cows are not 100% grass fed. From the site:

"Their balanced, vegetarian diet consists mostly of fresh pasture grasses,
silage and hay, as well as feeds that are 100% certified organic and
Verified Non-GMO."

Don. http://paleofood.com/ (e-mail at page bottom).
Old 14-08-2016, 05:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-08-14, W wrote:

pour this over a good filter......

Please elaborate on what makes a "good" filter.

nb
Old 14-08-2016, 05:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/14/2016 1:54 AM, W wrote:
[...]

How does it taste?

You might take a small amount and cook it more and see what happens. I
can't imagine it will clear up, though.

Or maybe use a flocculating agent and see what happens?
Old 14-08-2016, 07:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

W wrote:

I make my own Indian Ghee from grassfed butter, using these instructions:
http://thehealthyfoodie.com/homemade-ghee/

I don't understand how ghee could end up black and looking and smelling
burned. Does anyone have a theory about what went wrong here, and is there
anything that can be done at this point?

When preparing ghee at too high a heat the milk solids will burn.
At that point either enjoy the burnt taste or toss it out for the
critters and start over. Ghee is pricy because to do it right takes
time, you can't rush it.

Old 14-08-2016, 09:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
W W is offline

wrote:

I make my own Indian Ghee from grassfed butter, using these instructions:

thinks maybe the butter I am using (Strauss Family Creamery) has some
characteristic that makes it difficult to use for ghee:
http://strausfamilycreamery.com/products/organic-butter

But the Strauss Family Creamery cows are not 100% grass fed. From the

site:

"Their balanced, vegetarian diet consists mostly of fresh pasture grasses,
silage and hay, as well as feeds that are 100% certified organic and
Verified Non-GMO."

Several points on that.

1) This was the one and only time I used that butter, as an experiment. I
normally use Irish Kerry brand, which "claims" to be grassfed.

2) It turns out that no one raising dairy cows ever feeds them only grass.
Meat cattle are raised on 100% grass all the time. Dairy cattle need more
energy in order to produce milk every day, so - very unfortunately - they
all get grain.

This is the same problem you find with eggs. All of those eggs claiming to
be "pasture raised" are in fact getting more than 50% of their daily energy
from grains. They need high caloric diets to produce eggs every day.

Old 14-08-2016, 09:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
W W is offline

On 2016-08-14, W wrote:

pour this over a good filter......

Please elaborate on what makes a "good" filter.

I normally use a metal mesh on the base, and I put a nut butter bag on top.

Old 14-08-2016, 09:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
W W is offline

"Brooklyn1" wrote in message
W wrote:
I make my own Indian Ghee from grassfed butter, using these instructions:
http://thehealthyfoodie.com/homemade-ghee/

I don't understand how ghee could end up black and looking and smelling
burned. Does anyone have a theory about what went wrong here, and is

there
anything that can be done at this point?

When preparing ghee at too high a heat the milk solids will burn.
At that point either enjoy the burnt taste or toss it out for the
critters and start over. Ghee is pricy because to do it right takes
time, you can't rush it.

Do you have any advice on preparation, either temperatures, timing, or
visual clues?

Old 14-08-2016, 10:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-08-14, W wrote:
"notbob" wrote in message

pour this over a good filter......

Please elaborate on what makes a "good" filter.

I normally use a metal mesh on the base, and I put a nut butter bag on top.

OK. What is a "nut butter bag"?

(seriously)

nb
Old 14-08-2016, 10:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-08-14, W wrote:
"notbob" wrote in message

pour this over a good filter......

Please elaborate on what makes a "good" filter.

I normally use a metal mesh on the base, and I put a nut butter bag on top.

OK. What is a "nut butter bag"?

(seriously)

Dunno, but it sounds similar to muslin/cheesecloth to me.

Old 14-08-2016, 11:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 13:39:23 -0700, "W"
wrote:

"Brooklyn1" wrote in message
.. .
W wrote:
I make my own Indian Ghee from grassfed butter, using these instructions:
http://thehealthyfoodie.com/homemade-ghee/

I don't understand how ghee could end up black and looking and smelling
burned. Does anyone have a theory about what went wrong here, and is

there
anything that can be done at this point?

When preparing ghee at too high a heat the milk solids will burn.
At that point either enjoy the burnt taste or toss it out for the
critters and start over. Ghee is pricy because to do it right takes
time, you can't rush it.

Do you have any advice on preparation, either temperatures, timing, or
visual clues?

I haven't made ghee in many years but google is your friend.
However common sense would dictate to use the lowest heat your
stovetop is capable of. Unless you were after a particularly flavored
ghee I'd say to buy ready made.
Old 15-08-2016, 12:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-08-14, W wrote:
"notbob" wrote in message

pour this over a good filter......

Please elaborate on what makes a "good" filter.

I normally use a metal mesh on the base, and I put a nut butter bag on top.

OK. What is a "nut butter bag"?

(seriously)

Dunno, but it sounds similar to muslin/cheesecloth to me.

Or a mesh that holds peanut butter or suet for the birds to feed on.
Old 15-08-2016, 12:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-08-14, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 8/14/2016 5:56 PM, Je???us wrote:

On 14 Aug 2016 21:45:39 GMT, notbob wrote:

OK. What is a "nut butter bag"?

Dunno, but it sounds similar to muslin/cheesecloth to me.

Or a mesh that holds peanut butter or suet for the birds to feed on.

Howzabout you bozos quit guessing and let the person I asked, answer?

nb
Old 15-08-2016, 12:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-08-14, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 8/14/2016 5:56 PM, Je???us wrote:

On 14 Aug 2016 21:45:39 GMT, notbob wrote:

OK. What is a "nut butter bag"?

Dunno, but it sounds similar to muslin/cheesecloth to me.

Or a mesh that holds peanut butter or suet for the birds to feed on.

Howzabout you bozos quit guessing and let the person I asked, answer?

Was that so terrible, was it? 'Howzabout' you 'jes' go and ****
yourself.
Old 15-08-2016, 12:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-08-14, W wrote:
"notbob" wrote in message

pour this over a good filter......

Please elaborate on what makes a "good" filter.

I normally use a metal mesh on the base, and I put a nut butter bag on top.

OK. What is a "nut butter bag"?

(seriously)

Dunno, but it sounds similar to muslin/cheesecloth to me.

Nut butter bags:
http://www.trojanbrands.com/en/condoms