Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Gin of the month

Some time back I mentioned a local liquor store has a large selection of
gins and my goal was to try them all. Today I picked up two more.

http://www.newenglanddistilling.com/spirits/gin/
http://www.stgeorgespirits.com/spiri...e-dry-rye-gin/

The good news: I like them both
The bad news: They are nearly identical in taste. I can't tell them apart.

I like to have two or three gins to have a variation of taste but thsr
seem to be twins, though very good ones.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 3, 2016 at 9:22:41 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> Some time back I mentioned a local liquor store has a large selection of
> gins and my goal was to try them all. Today I picked up two more.
>
> http://www.newenglanddistilling.com/spirits/gin/
> http://www.stgeorgespirits.com/spiri...e-dry-rye-gin/
>
> The good news: I like them both
> The bad news: They are nearly identical in taste. I can't tell them apart.
>
> I like to have two or three gins to have a variation of taste but thsr
> seem to be twins, though very good ones.

I just get Gordons.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 4 Aug 2016 06:11:00 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>On Wednesday, August 3, 2016 at 9:22:41 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> Some time back I mentioned a local liquor store has a large selection of
>> gins and my goal was to try them all. Today I picked up two more.

http://www.newenglanddistilling.com/spirits/gin/
>> http://www.stgeorgespirits.com/spiri...e-dry-rye-gin/
>>
>> The good news: I like them both
>> The bad news: They are nearly identical in taste. I can't tell them apart.
>>
>> I like to have two or three gins to have a variation of taste but thsr
>> seem to be twins, though very good ones.>

>I just get Gordons.

I rarely drink it but when I do, much prefer Bombay Sapphire.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-08-04, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> The good news: I like them both
> The bad news: They are nearly identical in taste. I can't tell them apart.

Anthony Dias Blue was a judge fer the SF Spirits Competition. I'll
never foret when he was on the radio talking about his recent judging
of the World's best vodkas. He sed something to the effect, hard to
judge high end vodkas. How does one judge a spirit with absolutely
zero flavor? I find this to be the case with many "high-end"
spirits. Gin is no different.

I stopped at Junipero Serra Gin (Anchor Distillary), which was then
about $45 bottle. Smooth? Sure, but it had exactly zero flavor.
Might as well been Grey Goose vodka.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> I rarely drink it but when I do, much prefer Bombay Sapphire.

Me too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-08-04 10:23 AM, notbob wrote:

> I stopped at Junipero Serra Gin (Anchor Distillary), which was then
> about $45 bottle. Smooth? Sure, but it had exactly zero flavor.
> Might as well been Grey Goose vodka.

It amazes me that people will spend extra money on premium vodkas that
have a so much non taste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I think vodka is boring taste wise.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> >On Wednesday, August 3, 2016 at 9:22:41 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >> Some time back I mentioned a local liquor store has a large selection of
> >> gins and my goal was to try them all. Today I picked up two more.

http://www.newenglanddistilling.com/spirits/gin/
> >> http://www.stgeorgespirits.com/spiri...e-dry-rye-gin/
> >>
> >> The good news: I like them both
> >> The bad news: They are nearly identical in taste. I can't tell them apart.
> >>
> >> I like to have two or three gins to have a variation of taste but thsr
> >> seem to be twins, though very good ones.>

> >I just get Gordons.

> I rarely drink it but when I do, much prefer Bombay Sapphire.

Sapphire is beginners gin.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4 Aug 2016 14:23:07 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> I stopped at Junipero Serra Gin (Anchor Distillary), which was then
> about $45 bottle. Smooth? Sure, but it had exactly zero flavor.

I have had it in a martini and it had plenty of flavor, but you're
right about gin in general and no flavor anymore. I don't call
drinks, but when I want to taste a gin flavor I do tell the cocktail
waitress that I want a London Dry - which usually confuses the heck
out of them. Most bar tenders aren't any more knowledgeable. They're
children. Nobody knows how to make a San Jose style Super Chavella
either.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-08-04, Dave Smith > wrote:

> On 2016-08-04 9:33 AM, wrote:

>> I rarely drink it but when I do, much prefer Bombay Sapphire.

> Me too.

Agree. If I'm jes sippin', Sapphire. But, if I wanna martini, give
Boodles. Gotta have some juniper berry flavor to cut that
Vermouth.

BTW, nothing beats Tanqueray and Schwepps fer G&T's.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 4, 2016 at 9:23:49 AM UTC-6, wrote:
> I think vodka is boring taste wise.

But you slug in down anyway...right?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

http://www.newenglanddistilling.com/spirits/gin/

>>> I just get Gordons.

>> I rarely drink it but when I do, much prefer Bombay Sapphire.

> Sapphire is beginners gin.

Well isn't that a cute but meaningless comment.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 4 Aug 2016 13:35:49 -0400, Dave Smith

wrote:

http://www.newenglanddistilling.com/spirits/gin/

> >> I rarely drink it but when I do, much prefer Bombay Sapphire.

> > Sapphire is beginners gin.

> Well isn't that a cute but meaningless comment.

It's a botanical. Botanicals are beginner's gin and you drink it when
you don't like the flavor of real gin. I went through the Sapphire
stage too, but I grew out of it.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4 Aug 2016 16:44:06 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> BTW, nothing beats Tanqueray and Schwepps fer G&T's.

I thought Beefeaters was pretty good with tonic, back in the days when
I drank that.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

http://www.newenglanddistilling.com/spirits/gin/

>>> I rarely drink it but when I do, much prefer Bombay Sapphire.

>> Sapphire is beginners gin.

>Well isn't that a cute but meaningless comment.

Well clearly I don't drink as much of it as her
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

http://www.newenglanddistilling.com/spirits/gin/

>> > Sapphire is beginners gin.

>> Well isn't that a cute but meaningless comment.
>> >

>It's a botanical. Botanicals are beginner's gin and you drink it when
>you don't like the flavor of real gin. I went through the Sapphire
>stage too, but I grew out of it.

Very fast too I expect !
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

http://www.newenglanddistilling.com/spirits/gin/

>>> I rarely drink it but when I do, much prefer Bombay Sapphire.

>> Sapphire is beginners gin.

>Well isn't that a cute but meaningless comment.

Well clearly I don't drink as much of it as her

---------------------

That's cos you aren't a lush ... <G>

--
http;//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

wrote:

http://www.newenglanddistilling.com/spirits/gin/

> > >I just get Gordons.

> > I rarely drink it but when I do, much prefer Bombay Sapphire.

> Sapphire is beginners gin.

Mixing your alcohol with a sugary soft drink... now that's beginner
stuff for you!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2016 10:23 AM, notbob wrote:

> Anthony Dias Blue was a judge fer the SF Spirits Competition. I'll
> never foret when he was on the radio talking about his recent judging
> of the World's best vodkas. He sed something to the effect, hard to
> judge high end vodkas. How does one judge a spirit with absolutely
> zero flavor? I find this to be the case with many "high-end"
> spirits. Gin is no different.
>
> I stopped at Junipero Serra Gin (Anchor Distillary), which was then
> about $45 bottle. Smooth? Sure, but it had exactly zero flavor.
> Might as well been Grey Goose vodka.
>
> nb

Are you saying high end gin has no flavor? Some gins are similar,such
as the two I just bought, but there are major differences among most.
If you do a tasting of Sapphire, Hendricks, Plymouth, Uncle Val's,
Tangueray, Bluecoat and a bunch of others I've tried and they are very
distinctive. Never tried Junipero Serra so cannot comment on it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>> I rarely drink it but when I do, much prefer Bombay Sapphire.
>>

> Me too.

Expand your horizons...try a Herndricks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I never mix bourbon or brandy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2016 6:58 PM, Bruce wrote:

>> Expand your horizons...try a Hendricks

> At $70, that's double the price though:
> https://www.danmurphys.com.au/produc...ck-s-gin-700ml

Holy crap! It is half that here in US dollars. I can get a 1.75 liter
for $50.

I see Tanqueray 10 is very high too. Not cheap to be a drinker there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On 8/4/2016 6:58 PM, Bruce wrote:
>
> >> Expand your horizons...try a Hendricks

> > At $70, that's double the price though:

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/produc...ck-s-gin-700ml

> Holy crap! It is half that here in US dollars. I can get a 1.75 liter
> for $50.
>
> I see Tanqueray 10 is very high too. Not cheap to be a drinker there.

I know. I should have stayed in the Netherlands from that perspective.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 5 Aug 2016 10:53:42 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>In article >,
>says...

>> > At $70, that's double the price though:

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/produc...ck-s-gin-700ml

>> Holy crap! It is half that here in US dollars. I can get a 1.75 liter
>> for $50.
>>
>> I see Tanqueray 10 is very high too. Not cheap to be a drinker there.

>I know. I should have stayed in the Netherlands from that perspective.

http://www.crownwineandspirits.com/c...ace-gin-1-75l/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, gravesend10
@verizon.net says...

> On Fri, 5 Aug 2016 10:53:42 +1000, Bruce >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> >says...

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/produc...ck-s-gin-700ml

> >> Holy crap! It is half that here in US dollars. I can get a 1.75 liter
> >> for $50.
> >>
> >> I see Tanqueray 10 is very high too. Not cheap to be a drinker there.

> >I know. I should have stayed in the Netherlands from that perspective.

> http://www.crownwineandspirits.com/c...ace-gin-1-75l/

That's incredibly cheap. I don't know what's wrong with Australia. Nanny
state and not enough competition, I guess.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2016 9:13 PM, Bruce wrote:

>>> I know. I should have stayed in the Netherlands from that perspective.

>> http://www.crownwineandspirits.com/c...ace-gin-1-75l/

> That's incredibly cheap. I don't know what's wrong with Australia. Nanny
> state and not enough competition, I guess.

Must be. You are able to ship wine to the US at reasonable prices.
Yellow Tail sells here for $7 to $9 a bottle.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/produc...ck-s-gin-700ml

> >> http://www.crownwineandspirits.com/c...ace-gin-1-75l/

> > That's incredibly cheap. I don't know what's wrong with Australia. Nanny
> > state and not enough competition, I guess.
> >

> Must be. You are able to ship wine to the US at reasonable prices.
> Yellow Tail sells here for $7 to $9 a bottle.

Wine is affordable here, but beer and liquor are crazy expensive. And
groceries in general, I think.

(https://www.danmurphys.com.au/produc...ail-chardonnay)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 4 Aug 2016 21:35:33 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>>> http://www.crownwineandspirits.com/c...ace-gin-1-75l/

>> That's incredibly cheap. I don't know what's wrong with Australia. Nanny
>> state and not enough competition, I guess.
>>

>Must be. You are able to ship wine to the US at reasonable prices.
>Yellow Tail sells here for $7 to $9 a bottle.

Yes, exports is why.

'excise duty' (which is insanely complicated) plus GST of 10%. We have
the 2nd or 3rd highest prices in the world for alcohol... because
we're also the second biggest consumers of alcohol. Ching ching for
Govco.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> >> That's incredibly cheap. I don't know what's wrong with Australia. Nanny
> >> state and not enough competition, I guess.
> >>

> >Must be. You are able to ship wine to the US at reasonable prices.
> >Yellow Tail sells here for $7 to $9 a bottle.

> Yes, exports is why.
>
> 'excise duty' (which is insanely complicated) plus GST of 10%. We have
> the 2nd or 3rd highest prices in the world for alcohol... because
> we're also the second biggest consumers of alcohol.

19th actually:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._consumption_p
er_capita

Or:
http://tinyurl.com/lmv2qqm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-08-04 9:35 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> http://www.crownwineandspirits.com/c...ace-gin-1-75l/

>> That's incredibly cheap. I don't know what's wrong with Australia. Nanny
>> state and not enough competition, I guess.
>>

> Must be. You are able to ship wine to the US at reasonable prices.
> Yellow Tail sells here for $7 to $9 a bottle.

One of our favourite everyday wines is an Australian Shiraz that is
under $10 per bottle. It is better than a lot of wines that cost a lot more.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-08-04 9:48 PM, Je�us wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Aug 2016 21:35:33 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>

> 'excise duty' (which is insanely complicated) plus GST of 10%. We have
> the 2nd or 3rd highest prices in the world for alcohol... because
> we're also the second biggest consumers of alcohol. Ching ching for
> Govco.

I have been binge watching Orange Is the New Black and caught this line:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdQrIS2cXIQ

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On 2016-08-04 9:48 PM, Je?us wrote:
> > On Thu, 4 Aug 2016 21:35:33 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
> >

> > 'excise duty' (which is insanely complicated) plus GST of 10%. We have
> > the 2nd or 3rd highest prices in the world for alcohol... because
> > we're also the second biggest consumers of alcohol. Ching ching for
> > Govco.
> >

> I have been binge watching Orange Is the New Black and caught this line:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdQrIS2cXIQ

Lol. And then there's the pot smoking. It's legal in the Netherlands,
but Australians seem to be smoking a lot more. Proof that the nanny
state doesn't work. Time to legalise pot, *** marriage and euthanasia in
this beautiful, but slightly backward country.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 4 Aug 2016 22:59:44 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2016-08-04 9:48 PM, Je?us wrote:
>> On Thu, 4 Aug 2016 21:35:33 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>>

>> 'excise duty' (which is insanely complicated) plus GST of 10%. We have
>> the 2nd or 3rd highest prices in the world for alcohol... because
>> we're also the second biggest consumers of alcohol. Ching ching for
>> Govco.
>>

> I have been binge watching Orange Is the New Black and caught this line:
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdQrIS2cXIQ

They should replace Australian with Tasmanian.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 4, 2016 at 8:33:52 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Aug 2016 06:11:00 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
>
> >On Wednesday, August 3, 2016 at 9:22:41 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >> Some time back I mentioned a local liquor store has a large selection of
> >> gins and my goal was to try them all. Today I picked up two more.

http://www.newenglanddistilling.com/spirits/gin/
> >> http://www.stgeorgespirits.com/spiri...e-dry-rye-gin/
> >>
> >> The good news: I like them both
> >> The bad news: They are nearly identical in taste. I can't tell them apart.
> >>
> >> I like to have two or three gins to have a variation of taste but thsr
> >> seem to be twins, though very good ones.>

> >I just get Gordons.

> I rarely drink it but when I do, much prefer Bombay Sapphire.

Bah!! Crap in a blue bottle!!

I had a gin lover suggest this for me years ago, so I tried some. Was still gin, with all it's associated nastiness!! Juniper berries should never be consumed, even when fermented and distilled! The "nasty" still comes through!!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, August 4, 2016 at 8:33:52 AM UTC-5, wrote:

http://www.newenglanddistilling.com/spirits/gin/

>> >I just get Gordons.

>> I rarely drink it but when I do, much prefer Bombay Sapphire.

> Bah!! Crap in a blue bottle!!
>
> I had a gin lover suggest this for me years ago, so I tried some. Was
> still gin, with all it's associated nastiness!! Juniper berries should
> never be consumed, even when fermented and distilled! The "nasty" still
> comes through!!
>
> John Kuthe...

I dislike gin very much! I had a friend that always drank Beefeaters and the
smell and taste were just terrible. Never found one I liked.

Cheri

Off for a month Ian Hoare Wine 7 08-11-2007 09:02 PM
$50,000/month from home. as seen on TV [email protected] Winemaking 0 25-09-2006 10:50 PM
Nat. bbq Month Video Piedmont Barbecue 8 15-08-2006 05:52 PM
anyone tried ITC tea of the month? CCCarlisle Tea 0 17-02-2005 04:03 AM
The Chocolate Of The Month The Chocolate Of the Month Chocolate 0 29-11-2004 02:59 AM