Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Quality of tea

Does anyone know what is meant by this? I recently read a series of books by
a British author. The books were her life story. She lived in a variety of
places and often referred to the quality of tea as either being cheap, poor
quality, better quality, superb quality, etc.

Here, most places do not serve good tea because they will bring you a little
pot of hot but not boiling hot water and a tea bag. I'm sure the tea in the
bag is fine but the water is not hot enough to get much tea out of the bag.
Now exceptions would be green or white tea but... To make it properly, you
still need to bring the water to a boil then let it cool off. I've been told
that bringing it to a boil for one minute and no longer will get the correct
amount of oxygen into the water. Boil it for too long and the end result
will suffer. I think the same applies to red tea. I don't buy that. I did
try a sample once and didn't care for it too much. Wasn't bad. I just like
other teas a lot better.

There are places here where you can get a proper pot or cup of tea but in
most cases they are advertised as tea shops. Most restaurants do not offer
big pots of tea. I know of one that used to, in the U District but it is
long gone.

At home, I usually buy tea bags. But I do have tea strainers and can use
regular tea if I have to. I just can't think of any I've ever bought that I
would call poor quality or cheap although I have purchased inexpensive tea.

Could it be that the author meant that the tea she was getting was not made
properly? Or is there some really crappy tea out there for sale?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 01:18:27 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>Does anyone know what is meant by this? I recently read a series of books by
>a British author. The books were her life story. She lived in a variety of
>places and often referred to the quality of tea as either being cheap, poor
>quality, better quality, superb quality, etc.
>
>Here, most places do not serve good tea because they will bring you a little
>pot of hot but not boiling hot water and a tea bag.

>Could it be that the author meant that the tea she was getting was not made
>properly? Or is there some really crappy tea out there for sale?

Never had crappy tea, but some are better than others. Maybe the
really bad stuff is blended into cheap bags. I don't know.

Agree that tea is a restaurant is second rate at best. I rarely order
it for that reason.

Some teas are better if the leaf is left larger. You won't find that
tea in a bag because there is not enough room for it to expand and cut
up, it dos not work as well. Other tea is cut more finely.

I use bags only for iced tea. My regular morning tea is loose and I
have an infuser that I put right into the mug.

I prefer Ceylon tea and have been buying from here for many years now.
The price is US dollars is much less right now so don't let the price
scare you.
http://www.teatrader.com/Ceylon.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 01:18:27 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know what is meant by this? I recently read a series of books
>>by
>>a British author. The books were her life story. She lived in a variety of
>>places and often referred to the quality of tea as either being cheap,
>>poor
>>quality, better quality, superb quality, etc.
>>
>>Here, most places do not serve good tea because they will bring you a
>>little
>>pot of hot but not boiling hot water and a tea bag.

>>Could it be that the author meant that the tea she was getting was not
>>made
>>properly? Or is there some really crappy tea out there for sale?
>>

> Never had crappy tea, but some are better than others. Maybe the
> really bad stuff is blended into cheap bags. I don't know.
>
> Agree that tea is a restaurant is second rate at best. I rarely order
> it for that reason.
>
> Some teas are better if the leaf is left larger. You won't find that
> tea in a bag because there is not enough room for it to expand and cut
> up, it dos not work as well. Other tea is cut more finely.
>
> I use bags only for iced tea. My regular morning tea is loose and I
> have an infuser that I put right into the mug.
>
> I prefer Ceylon tea and have been buying from here for many years now.
> The price is US dollars is much less right now so don't let the price
> scare you.
> http://www.teatrader.com/Ceylon.html

Thanks! I buy a lot of different kinds but some is expensive so I look for
sales. One that I grew up with was Constant Comment. I realize now that my
parents must have made it super weak. I can't drink it as it says to make
it. Far too strong. So I will use one bag of that or Lemon Lift and combine
them with green, black or orange pekoe.

When I lived on Cape Cod, I could get huge boxes of green tea at a Korean
restaurant for only $3. Seemed to be very good tea. But I was shocked to see
what I could get for that price in other areas. Either very little or
nothing at all.

I miss going to a tea shop in the U District. It wasn't a British Tea shop.
They sold all kinds of tea by the pot or cup. My friends and I would go
there every few weeks and try something new to us. I think they did sell
some food items but we only ever got the tea.

More recently, we found a tea shop in Laconner. I assumed I could get a cup
of tea in there. The owner seemed a bit put off that we wanted that. She did
make us some but had a very limited selection. Apparently she mostly just
sold the tea for you to take home to make. Also things like cups, pots,
decorative items and some little pastries, cookies, candies, etc. which she
also did not serve. There was a small table in there that we sat at to drink
the tea. She seemed annoyed that we were sitting there. She said most people
took the tea to go.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 28, 2016 at 10:18:38 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> Does anyone know what is meant by this? I recently read a series of books by
> a British author. The books were her life story. She lived in a variety of
> places and often referred to the quality of tea as either being cheap, poor
> quality, better quality, superb quality, etc.
>
> Here, most places do not serve good tea because they will bring you a little
> pot of hot but not boiling hot water and a tea bag. I'm sure the tea in the
> bag is fine but the water is not hot enough to get much tea out of the bag.
> Now exceptions would be green or white tea but... To make it properly, you
> still need to bring the water to a boil then let it cool off. I've been told
> that bringing it to a boil for one minute and no longer will get the correct
> amount of oxygen into the water. Boil it for too long and the end result
> will suffer. I think the same applies to red tea. I don't buy that. I did
> try a sample once and didn't care for it too much. Wasn't bad. I just like
> other teas a lot better.
>
> There are places here where you can get a proper pot or cup of tea but in
> most cases they are advertised as tea shops. Most restaurants do not offer
> big pots of tea. I know of one that used to, in the U District but it is
> long gone.
>
> At home, I usually buy tea bags. But I do have tea strainers and can use
> regular tea if I have to. I just can't think of any I've ever bought that I
> would call poor quality or cheap although I have purchased inexpensive tea.
>
> Could it be that the author meant that the tea she was getting was not made
> properly? Or is there some really crappy tea out there for sale?

Tea of that sort won't be very popular in the US. My guess is that this kind of tea is going to be very popular with the kids - Hong Kong milk tea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehidLvfaYnw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove > wrote:
> Does anyone know what is meant by this? I recently read a series of books by
> a British author. The books were her life story. She lived in a variety of
> places and often referred to the quality of tea as either being cheap, poor
> quality, better quality, superb quality, etc.
>
> Here, most places do not serve good tea because they will bring you a little
> pot of hot but not boiling hot water and a tea bag. I'm sure the tea in the
> bag is fine but the water is not hot enough to get much tea out of the bag.
> Now exceptions would be green or white tea but... To make it properly, you
> still need to bring the water to a boil then let it cool off. I've been told
> that bringing it to a boil for one minute and no longer will get the correct
> amount of oxygen into the water. Boil it for too long and the end result
> will suffer. I think the same applies to red tea. I don't buy that. I did
> try a sample once and didn't care for it too much. Wasn't bad. I just like
> other teas a lot better.
>
> There are places here where you can get a proper pot or cup of tea but in
> most cases they are advertised as tea shops. Most restaurants do not offer
> big pots of tea. I know of one that used to, in the U District but it is
> long gone.
>
> At home, I usually buy tea bags. But I do have tea strainers and can use
> regular tea if I have to. I just can't think of any I've ever bought that I
> would call poor quality or cheap although I have purchased inexpensive tea.
>
> Could it be that the author meant that the tea she was getting was not made
> properly? Or is there some really crappy tea out there for sale?

Hard to know what she meant without reading the entire context of her
comment. My guess is she probably means both. Yes, there is crappy tea
out there, especially in the U.S. By crappy, I mean nearly all common mass
market bagged teas you find in most grocery stores (Bigelow or Celestial
Seasonings, for example). Once you have really great tea, you will
understand my reference point. It's like people who think Applebee's is
great dining when they've never been anywhere better. Not to mention, most
people and restaurants in the U.S. don't really know how to make tea
properly. Dump a bag in any cup of hot water and call it done. I think
not.

--
jinx the minx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 01:18:27 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Does anyone know what is meant by this? I recently read a series
> > > of books by a British author. The books were her life story. She
> > > lived in a variety of places and often referred to the quality of
> > > tea as either being cheap, poor quality, better quality, superb
> > > quality, etc.
> > >
> > > Here, most places do not serve good tea because they will bring
> > > you a little pot of hot but not boiling hot water and a tea bag.

> > > Could it be that the author meant that the tea she was getting
> > > was not made properly? Or is there some really crappy tea out
> > > there for sale?
> > >

> > Never had crappy tea, but some are better than others. Maybe the
> > really bad stuff is blended into cheap bags. I don't know.
> >
> > Agree that tea is a restaurant is second rate at best. I rarely
> > order it for that reason.
> >
> > Some teas are better if the leaf is left larger. You won't find
> > that tea in a bag because there is not enough room for it to expand
> > and cut up, it dos not work as well. Other tea is cut more finely.
> >
> > I use bags only for iced tea. My regular morning tea is loose and I
> > have an infuser that I put right into the mug.
> >
> > I prefer Ceylon tea and have been buying from here for many years
> > now. The price is US dollars is much less right now so don't let
> > the price scare you.
> > http://www.teatrader.com/Ceylon.html

> Thanks! I buy a lot of different kinds but some is expensive so I
> look for sales. One that I grew up with was Constant Comment. I
> realize now that my parents must have made it super weak. I can't
> drink it as it says to make it. Far too strong. So I will use one bag
> of that or Lemon Lift and combine them with green, black or orange
> pekoe.
>
> When I lived on Cape Cod, I could get huge boxes of green tea at a
> Korean restaurant for only $3. Seemed to be very good tea. But I was
> shocked to see what I could get for that price in other areas. Either
> very little or nothing at all.
>
> I miss going to a tea shop in the U District. It wasn't a British Tea
> shop. They sold all kinds of tea by the pot or cup. My friends and I
> would go there every few weeks and try something new to us. I think
> they did sell some food items but we only ever got the tea.
>
> More recently, we found a tea shop in Laconner. I assumed I could get
> a cup of tea in there. The owner seemed a bit put off that we wanted
> that. She did make us some but had a very limited selection.
> Apparently she mostly just sold the tea for you to take home to make.
> Also things like cups, pots, decorative items and some little
> pastries, cookies, candies, etc. which she also did not serve. There
> was a small table in there that we sat at to drink the tea. She
> seemed annoyed that we were sitting there. She said most people took
> the tea to go.

Somehow, I've never 'gotten it' on green tea. (Yup, some things asian
do not appeal to me and that's one).

Looks like your tea shop was a true shop, not a tea house (where you
drink tea, get nibbles, then buy some loose leaf or bags for home use
on the way out).

There was a nifty one in San Diego 'Conversation to a Tea' where you
got dainty little crustless sandwiches (think English classic tea
types). You got 2 complimentary mini-sandwiches with your first cup.
Those were nifty and very simple usually with a 1/2 moon of thin
cucumber and some tangy mayo-based spread. A single slice of bread
made 2 sandwiches to give you a proportion. Yes, they had more
substantial food items but all similarly light lunch material to a USA
perspective.

They had a great 'build your own fruit cup' where you selected from a
list of what was currently available (list printed daily, had fresh and
frozen.
Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, July 28, 2016 at 10:18:38 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Does anyone know what is meant by this? I recently read a series of books
>> by
>> a British author. The books were her life story. She lived in a variety
>> of
>> places and often referred to the quality of tea as either being cheap,
>> poor
>> quality, better quality, superb quality, etc.
>>
>> Here, most places do not serve good tea because they will bring you a
>> little
>> pot of hot but not boiling hot water and a tea bag. I'm sure the tea in
>> the
>> bag is fine but the water is not hot enough to get much tea out of the
>> bag.
>> Now exceptions would be green or white tea but... To make it properly,
>> you
>> still need to bring the water to a boil then let it cool off. I've been
>> told
>> that bringing it to a boil for one minute and no longer will get the
>> correct
>> amount of oxygen into the water. Boil it for too long and the end result
>> will suffer. I think the same applies to red tea. I don't buy that. I did
>> try a sample once and didn't care for it too much. Wasn't bad. I just
>> like
>> other teas a lot better.
>>
>> There are places here where you can get a proper pot or cup of tea but in
>> most cases they are advertised as tea shops. Most restaurants do not
>> offer
>> big pots of tea. I know of one that used to, in the U District but it is
>> long gone.
>>
>> At home, I usually buy tea bags. But I do have tea strainers and can use
>> regular tea if I have to. I just can't think of any I've ever bought that
>> would call poor quality or cheap although I have purchased inexpensive
>> tea.
>>
>> Could it be that the author meant that the tea she was getting was not
>> made
>> properly? Or is there some really crappy tea out there for sale?

> Tea of that sort won't be very popular in the US. My guess is that this
> kind of tea is going to be very popular with the kids - Hong Kong milk
> tea.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehidLvfaYnw

Bubble tea was popular here for a while. It's still around. I just never see
anyone drinking it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jinx the minx" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>> Does anyone know what is meant by this? I recently read a series of books
>> by
>> a British author. The books were her life story. She lived in a variety
>> of
>> places and often referred to the quality of tea as either being cheap,
>> poor
>> quality, better quality, superb quality, etc.
>>
>> Here, most places do not serve good tea because they will bring you a
>> little
>> pot of hot but not boiling hot water and a tea bag. I'm sure the tea in
>> the
>> bag is fine but the water is not hot enough to get much tea out of the
>> bag.
>> Now exceptions would be green or white tea but... To make it properly,
>> you
>> still need to bring the water to a boil then let it cool off. I've been
>> told
>> that bringing it to a boil for one minute and no longer will get the
>> correct
>> amount of oxygen into the water. Boil it for too long and the end result
>> will suffer. I think the same applies to red tea. I don't buy that. I did
>> try a sample once and didn't care for it too much. Wasn't bad. I just
>> like
>> other teas a lot better.
>>
>> There are places here where you can get a proper pot or cup of tea but in
>> most cases they are advertised as tea shops. Most restaurants do not
>> offer
>> big pots of tea. I know of one that used to, in the U District but it is
>> long gone.
>>
>> At home, I usually buy tea bags. But I do have tea strainers and can use
>> regular tea if I have to. I just can't think of any I've ever bought that
>> would call poor quality or cheap although I have purchased inexpensive
>> tea.
>>
>> Could it be that the author meant that the tea she was getting was not
>> made
>> properly? Or is there some really crappy tea out there for sale?
>>

> Hard to know what she meant without reading the entire context of her
> comment. My guess is she probably means both. Yes, there is crappy tea
> out there, especially in the U.S. By crappy, I mean nearly all common
> mass
> market bagged teas you find in most grocery stores (Bigelow or Celestial
> Seasonings, for example). Once you have really great tea, you will
> understand my reference point. It's like people who think Applebee's is
> great dining when they've never been anywhere better. Not to mention, most
> people and restaurants in the U.S. don't really know how to make tea
> properly. Dump a bag in any cup of hot water and call it done. I think
> not.

Not sure that I've had Bigelow. The only Celestial Seasonings I've had were
the herbal and I guess they were fine for that but that kind doesn't really
appeal to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2016 11:49 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>> On Thursday, July 28, 2016 at 10:18:38 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> Does anyone know what is meant by this? I recently read a series of
>>> books by
>>> a British author. The books were her life story. She lived in a
>>> variety of
>>> places and often referred to the quality of tea as either being
>>> cheap, poor
>>> quality, better quality, superb quality, etc.
>>>
>>> Here, most places do not serve good tea because they will bring you a
>>> little
>>> pot of hot but not boiling hot water and a tea bag. I'm sure the tea
>>> in the
>>> bag is fine but the water is not hot enough to get much tea out of
>>> the bag.
>>> Now exceptions would be green or white tea but... To make it
>>> properly, you
>>> still need to bring the water to a boil then let it cool off. I've
>>> been told
>>> that bringing it to a boil for one minute and no longer will get the
>>> correct
>>> amount of oxygen into the water. Boil it for too long and the end result
>>> will suffer. I think the same applies to red tea. I don't buy that. I
>>> did
>>> try a sample once and didn't care for it too much. Wasn't bad. I just
>>> like
>>> other teas a lot better.
>>>
>>> There are places here where you can get a proper pot or cup of tea
>>> but in
>>> most cases they are advertised as tea shops. Most restaurants do not
>>> offer
>>> big pots of tea. I know of one that used to, in the U District but it is
>>> long gone.
>>>
>>> At home, I usually buy tea bags. But I do have tea strainers and can use
>>> regular tea if I have to. I just can't think of any I've ever bought
>>> that I
>>> would call poor quality or cheap although I have purchased
>>> inexpensive tea.
>>>
>>> Could it be that the author meant that the tea she was getting was
>>> not made
>>> properly? Or is there some really crappy tea out there for sale?

>> Tea of that sort won't be very popular in the US. My guess is that
>> this kind of tea is going to be very popular with the kids - Hong Kong
>> milk tea.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehidLvfaYnw

> Bubble tea was popular here for a while. It's still around. I just never
> see anyone drinking it.

My feeling is that young people are going to burn out on coffee and
switch to something cool and sweet. By "feeling" I mean seeing what's
going on around me.

My daughter bought a bag of bubble tea mix. She just makes drinks
without the tapioca balls. It's fine that way. My son and daughter are
drinking bubble tea and tea drinks. I don't ever see them drinking
coffee. I had some bubble tea a couple of days ago. I'm not crazy about
those balls in there. Chewy, but tasteless.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 29, 2016 at 11:40:36 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> [...]

> do not appeal to me and that's one).
>
> Looks like your tea shop was a true shop, not a tea house (where you
> drink tea, get nibbles, then buy some loose leaf or bags for home use
> on the way out).
>
> There was a nifty one in San Diego 'Conversation to a Tea' where you
> got dainty little crustless sandwiches (think English classic tea
> types). You got 2 complimentary mini-sandwiches with your first cup.
> Those were nifty and very simple usually with a 1/2 moon of thin
> cucumber and some tangy mayo-based spread. A single slice of bread
> made 2 sandwiches to give you a proportion. Yes, they had more
> substantial food items but all similarly light lunch material to a USA
> perspective.
>
> They had a great 'build your own fruit cup' where you selected from a
> list of what was currently available (list printed daily, had fresh and

My daughter is strangely into green tea. She's made matcha mochi, matcha macrons, matcha cookies, etc. Last night we had some matcha cheesecake. I'm not too wild about it although I like the color. It tastes like hay to me.

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...hare_link_copy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove > wrote:

> [...]
>>>

>> Hard to know what she meant without reading the entire context of her
>> comment. My guess is she probably means both. Yes, there is crappy tea
>> out there, especially in the U.S. By crappy, I mean nearly all common
>> mass
>> market bagged teas you find in most grocery stores (Bigelow or Celestial
>> Seasonings, for example). Once you have really great tea, you will
>> understand my reference point. It's like people who think Applebee's is
>> great dining when they've never been anywhere better. Not to mention, most
>> people and restaurants in the U.S. don't really know how to make tea
>> properly. Dump a bag in any cup of hot water and call it done. I think
>> not.

> Not sure that I've had Bigelow. The only Celestial Seasonings I've had were
> the herbal and I guess they were fine for that but that kind doesn't really

Constant Comment is made by Bigelow.

--
jinx the minx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Friday, July 29, 2016 at 11:40:36 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> > Thanks! I buy a lot of different kinds but some is expensive so I
>> > look for sales. One that I grew up with was Constant Comment. I
>> > realize now that my parents must have made it super weak. I can't
>> > drink it as it says to make it. Far too strong. So I will use one bag
>> > of that or Lemon Lift and combine them with green, black or orange
>> > pekoe.
>> >
>> > When I lived on Cape Cod, I could get huge boxes of green tea at a
>> > Korean restaurant for only $3. Seemed to be very good tea. But I was
>> > shocked to see what I could get for that price in other areas. Either
>> > very little or nothing at all.
>> >
>> > I miss going to a tea shop in the U District. It wasn't a British Tea
>> > shop. They sold all kinds of tea by the pot or cup. My friends and I
>> > would go there every few weeks and try something new to us. I think
>> > they did sell some food items but we only ever got the tea.
>> >
>> > More recently, we found a tea shop in Laconner. I assumed I could get
>> > a cup of tea in there. The owner seemed a bit put off that we wanted
>> > that. She did make us some but had a very limited selection.
>> > Apparently she mostly just sold the tea for you to take home to make.
>> > Also things like cups, pots, decorative items and some little
>> > pastries, cookies, candies, etc. which she also did not serve. There
>> > was a small table in there that we sat at to drink the tea. She
>> > seemed annoyed that we were sitting there. She said most people took
>> > the tea to go.

>> Somehow, I've never 'gotten it' on green tea. (Yup, some things asian
>> do not appeal to me and that's one).
>>
>> Looks like your tea shop was a true shop, not a tea house (where you
>> drink tea, get nibbles, then buy some loose leaf or bags for home use
>> on the way out).
>>
>> There was a nifty one in San Diego 'Conversation to a Tea' where you
>> got dainty little crustless sandwiches (think English classic tea
>> types). You got 2 complimentary mini-sandwiches with your first cup.
>> Those were nifty and very simple usually with a 1/2 moon of thin
>> cucumber and some tangy mayo-based spread. A single slice of bread
>> made 2 sandwiches to give you a proportion. Yes, they had more
>> substantial food items but all similarly light lunch material to a USA
>> perspective.
>>
>> They had a great 'build your own fruit cup' where you selected from a
>> list of what was currently available (list printed daily, had fresh and
>> frozen.
>> Carol
>>
>> --

> My daughter is strangely into green tea. She's made matcha mochi, matcha
> macrons, matcha cookies, etc. Last night we had some matcha cheesecake.
> I'm not too wild about it although I like the color. It tastes like hay to
> me.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...hare_link_copy

I like it. I like most tea. Just don't do weird stuff like peach or other
fruits.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 7/29/2016 11:49 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Tea of that sort won't be very popular in the US. My guess is that
>>> this kind of tea is going to be very popular with the kids - Hong Kong
>>> milk tea.
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehidLvfaYnw

>> Bubble tea was popular here for a while. It's still around. I just never
>> see anyone drinking it.

> My feeling is that young people are going to burn out on coffee and switch
> to something cool and sweet. By "feeling" I mean seeing what's going on
> around me.
>
> My daughter bought a bag of bubble tea mix. She just makes drinks without
> the tapioca balls. It's fine that way. My son and daughter are drinking
> bubble tea and tea drinks. I don't ever see them drinking coffee. I had
> some bubble tea a couple of days ago. I'm not crazy about those balls in
> there. Chewy, but tasteless.

That's what Angela said.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jinx the minx" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:

>>> Hard to know what she meant without reading the entire context of her
>>> comment. My guess is she probably means both. Yes, there is crappy
>>> tea
>>> out there, especially in the U.S. By crappy, I mean nearly all common
>>> mass
>>> market bagged teas you find in most grocery stores (Bigelow or Celestial
>>> Seasonings, for example). Once you have really great tea, you will
>>> understand my reference point. It's like people who think Applebee's is
>>> great dining when they've never been anywhere better. Not to mention,
>>> most
>>> people and restaurants in the U.S. don't really know how to make tea
>>> properly. Dump a bag in any cup of hot water and call it done. I think
>>> not.

>> Not sure that I've had Bigelow. The only Celestial Seasonings I've had
>> were
>> the herbal and I guess they were fine for that but that kind doesn't
>> really
>> appeal to me.
>>

> Constant Comment is made by Bigelow.

Oh okay. I do like that and have no issues with it other than it's not plain
tea.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2016 5:56 PM, Bruce wrote:

> The difference between good tea and bad tea is that they both taste
> like crap.

Pretty much my take on coffee. I buy my wife the best coffee I can
find, even one that was $96 a pound. I did have a cup of that, but
otherwise prefer my tea.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 15:12:58 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Friday, July 29, 2016 at 11:40:36 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> > Thanks! I buy a lot of different kinds but some is expensive so I
>> > look for sales. One that I grew up with was Constant Comment. I
>> > realize now that my parents must have made it super weak. I can't
>> > drink it as it says to make it. Far too strong. So I will use one bag
>> > of that or Lemon Lift and combine them with green, black or orange
>> > pekoe.
>> >
>> > When I lived on Cape Cod, I could get huge boxes of green tea at a
>> > Korean restaurant for only $3. Seemed to be very good tea. But I was
>> > shocked to see what I could get for that price in other areas. Either
>> > very little or nothing at all.
>> >
>> > I miss going to a tea shop in the U District. It wasn't a British Tea
>> > shop. They sold all kinds of tea by the pot or cup. My friends and I
>> > would go there every few weeks and try something new to us. I think
>> > they did sell some food items but we only ever got the tea.
>> >
>> > More recently, we found a tea shop in Laconner. I assumed I could get
>> > a cup of tea in there. The owner seemed a bit put off that we wanted
>> > that. She did make us some but had a very limited selection.
>> > Apparently she mostly just sold the tea for you to take home to make.
>> > Also things like cups, pots, decorative items and some little
>> > pastries, cookies, candies, etc. which she also did not serve. There
>> > was a small table in there that we sat at to drink the tea. She
>> > seemed annoyed that we were sitting there. She said most people took
>> > the tea to go.

>> Somehow, I've never 'gotten it' on green tea. (Yup, some things asian
>> do not appeal to me and that's one).
>>
>> Looks like your tea shop was a true shop, not a tea house (where you
>> drink tea, get nibbles, then buy some loose leaf or bags for home use
>> on the way out).
>>
>> There was a nifty one in San Diego 'Conversation to a Tea' where you
>> got dainty little crustless sandwiches (think English classic tea
>> types). You got 2 complimentary mini-sandwiches with your first cup.
>> Those were nifty and very simple usually with a 1/2 moon of thin
>> cucumber and some tangy mayo-based spread. A single slice of bread
>> made 2 sandwiches to give you a proportion. Yes, they had more
>> substantial food items but all similarly light lunch material to a USA
>> perspective.
>>
>> They had a great 'build your own fruit cup' where you selected from a
>> list of what was currently available (list printed daily, had fresh and
>> frozen.
>> Carol
>>
>> --

>My daughter is strangely into green tea. She's made matcha mochi, matcha macrons, matcha cookies, etc. Last night we had some matcha cheesecake. I'm not too wild about it although I like the color. It tastes like hay to me.
>
>https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...hare_link_copy

A couple of years ago, I was diagnosed with severe acid reflux. I was
told not to drink coffee any more, so I started drinking decaf green
tea. (Surprisingly, I never missed the coffee after I started drinking
the tea.)

Anyway, I really like it. I make it really weak, and drink about 3
cups every morning.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 29, 2016 at 3:03:34 PM UTC-10, Doris Night wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 15:12:58 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi1yahoo.com>
> wrote:

> >> Somehow, I've never 'gotten it' on green tea. (Yup, some things asian
> >> do not appeal to me and that's one).
> >>
> >> Looks like your tea shop was a true shop, not a tea house (where you
> >> drink tea, get nibbles, then buy some loose leaf or bags for home use
> >> on the way out).
> >>
> >> There was a nifty one in San Diego 'Conversation to a Tea' where you
> >> got dainty little crustless sandwiches (think English classic tea
> >> types). You got 2 complimentary mini-sandwiches with your first cup.
> >> Those were nifty and very simple usually with a 1/2 moon of thin
> >> cucumber and some tangy mayo-based spread. A single slice of bread
> >> made 2 sandwiches to give you a proportion. Yes, they had more
> >> substantial food items but all similarly light lunch material to a USA
> >> perspective.
> >>
> >> They had a great 'build your own fruit cup' where you selected from a
> >> list of what was currently available (list printed daily, had fresh and
> >> frozen.
> >> Carol
> >>
> >> --

> >My daughter is strangely into green tea. She's made matcha mochi, matcha macrons, matcha cookies, etc. Last night we had some matcha cheesecake. I'm not too wild about it although I like the color. It tastes like hay to me.
> >
> >https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...hare_link_copy

> A couple of years ago, I was diagnosed with severe acid reflux. I was
> told not to drink coffee any more, so I started drinking decaf green
> tea. (Surprisingly, I never missed the coffee after I started drinking
> the tea.)
>
> Anyway, I really like it. I make it really weak, and drink about 3
> cups every morning.
>
> Doris

I did not know that coffee can cause this problem. I'll keep it in mind. Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 18:53:46 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Friday, July 29, 2016 at 3:03:34 PM UTC-10, Doris Night wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 15:12:58 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi1yahoo.com>
>> wrote:

>> >My daughter is strangely into green tea. She's made matcha mochi, matcha macrons, matcha cookies, etc. Last night we had some matcha cheesecake. I'm not too wild about it although I like the color. It tastes like hay to me.
>> >
>> >https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...hare_link_copy

>> A couple of years ago, I was diagnosed with severe acid reflux. I was
>> told not to drink coffee any more, so I started drinking decaf green
>> tea. (Surprisingly, I never missed the coffee after I started drinking
>> the tea.)
>>
>> Anyway, I really like it. I make it really weak, and drink about 3
>> cups every morning.
>>
>> Doris

>I did not know that coffee can cause this problem. I'll keep it in mind. Thanks.

I'm not sure if coffee causes it or just aggravates it. However, this
is one of the few times I follow my doctor's orders. -)

He also told me not to drink carbonated beverages (pop, beer, etc). He
never mentioned wine, but I find that wine is really bad for reflux.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Friday, July 29, 2016 at 3:03:34 PM UTC-10, Doris Night wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 15:12:58 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi1yahoo.com>
>> wrote:

>> >My daughter is strangely into green tea. She's made matcha mochi, matcha
>> >macrons, matcha cookies, etc. Last night we had some matcha cheesecake.
>> >I'm not too wild about it although I like the color. It tastes like hay
>> >to me.
>> >
>> >https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...hare_link_copy

>> A couple of years ago, I was diagnosed with severe acid reflux. I was
>> told not to drink coffee any more, so I started drinking decaf green
>> tea. (Surprisingly, I never missed the coffee after I started drinking
>> the tea.)
>>
>> Anyway, I really like it. I make it really weak, and drink about 3
>> cups every morning.
>>
>> Doris

> I did not know that coffee can cause this problem. I'll keep it in mind.
> Thanks.

It's different for everyone. Peppermint can make it bad. Chocolate used to
be so bad for me, I could not eat it. Now, I sometimes can but I usually
don't. I can eat onions, peppers and tomatoes with no problems. But I know
many people who can't. Garlic is no good for me either. Some people can't do
fizzy drinks. They're not a problem for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 29, 2016 at 5:02:22 PM UTC-10, Doris Night wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 18:53:46 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
> >On Friday, July 29, 2016 at 3:03:34 PM UTC-10, Doris Night wrote:

> >> A couple of years ago, I was diagnosed with severe acid reflux. I was
> >> told not to drink coffee any more, so I started drinking decaf green
> >> tea. (Surprisingly, I never missed the coffee after I started drinking
> >> the tea.)
> >>
> >> Anyway, I really like it. I make it really weak, and drink about 3
> >> cups every morning.
> >>
> >> Doris

> >I did not know that coffee can cause this problem. I'll keep it in mind. Thanks.

> I'm not sure if coffee causes it or just aggravates it. However, this
> is one of the few times I follow my doctor's orders. -)
>
> He also told me not to drink carbonated beverages (pop, beer, etc). He
> never mentioned wine, but I find that wine is really bad for reflux.
>
> Doris

Perhaps if one does not drink any liquids an hour before going to bed? How does that sound?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 29, 2016 at 7:24:49 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "dsi1" <dsi1yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > On Friday, July 29, 2016 at 3:03:34 PM UTC-10, Doris Night wrote:

> >> A couple of years ago, I was diagnosed with severe acid reflux. I was
> >> told not to drink coffee any more, so I started drinking decaf green
> >> tea. (Surprisingly, I never missed the coffee after I started drinking
> >> the tea.)
> >>
> >> Anyway, I really like it. I make it really weak, and drink about 3
> >> cups every morning.
> >>
> >> Doris

> > I did not know that coffee can cause this problem. I'll keep it in mind.
> > Thanks.

> It's different for everyone. Peppermint can make it bad. Chocolate used to
> be so bad for me, I could not eat it. Now, I sometimes can but I usually
> don't. I can eat onions, peppers and tomatoes with no problems. But I know
> many people who can't. Garlic is no good for me either. Some people can't do
> fizzy drinks. They're not a problem for me.

It's a horrible affliction. I suppose there are worse but it seems to be fairly common.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 29, 2016 at 4:50:06 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> "dsi1" > wrote in message
> > On Thursday, July 28, 2016 at 10:18:38 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> >> Does anyone know what is meant by this? I recently read a series of books
> >> by
> >> a British author. The books were her life story. She lived in a variety
> >> of
> >> places and often referred to the quality of tea as either being cheap,
> >> poor
> >> quality, better quality, superb quality, etc.
> >>
> >> Here, most places do not serve good tea because they will bring you a
> >> little
> >> pot of hot but not boiling hot water and a tea bag. I'm sure the tea in
> >> the
> >> bag is fine but the water is not hot enough to get much tea out of the
> >> bag.
> >> Now exceptions would be green or white tea but... To make it properly,
> >> you
> >> still need to bring the water to a boil then let it cool off. I've been
> >> told
> >> that bringing it to a boil for one minute and no longer will get the
> >> correct
> >> amount of oxygen into the water. Boil it for too long and the end result
> >> will suffer. I think the same applies to red tea. I don't buy that. I did
> >> try a sample once and didn't care for it too much. Wasn't bad. I just
> >> like
> >> other teas a lot better.
> >>
> >> There are places here where you can get a proper pot or cup of tea but in
> >> most cases they are advertised as tea shops. Most restaurants do not
> >> offer
> >> big pots of tea. I know of one that used to, in the U District but it is
> >> long gone.
> >>
> >> At home, I usually buy tea bags. But I do have tea strainers and can use
> >> regular tea if I have to. I just can't think of any I've ever bought that
> >> would call poor quality or cheap although I have purchased inexpensive
> >> tea.
> >>
> >> Could it be that the author meant that the tea she was getting was not
> >> made
> >> properly? Or is there some really crappy tea out there for sale?

> > Tea of that sort won't be very popular in the US. My guess is that this
> > kind of tea is going to be very popular with the kids - Hong Kong milk
> > tea.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehidLvfaYnw

> Bubble tea was popular here for a while. It's still around. I just never see
> anyone drinking it.

Big tapiocas! Fish eyes and glue! ;-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message news
On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 06:15:11 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 01:18:27 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know what is meant by this? I recently read a series of books
>>by
>>a British author. The books were her life story. She lived in a variety of
>>places and often referred to the quality of tea as either being cheap,
>>poor
>>quality, better quality, superb quality, etc.
>>
>>Here, most places do not serve good tea because they will bring you a
>>little
>>pot of hot but not boiling hot water and a tea bag.

>>Could it be that the author meant that the tea she was getting was not
>>made
>>properly? Or is there some really crappy tea out there for sale?
>>

>Never had crappy tea, but some are better than others. Maybe the
>really bad stuff is blended into cheap bags. I don't know.

The difference between good tea and bad tea is that they both taste
like crap.

--------------------------------

LOL I must admit, I am no great fan of tea. I was raised on it and was glad
to leave it behind

--
http;//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message
T...

In article >,
says...

> "Bruce" wrote in message
> news >
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 06:15:11 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 01:18:27 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
> >
> >>Does anyone know what is meant by this? I recently read a series of
> >>books
> >>by
> >>a British author. The books were her life story. She lived in a variety
> >>of
> >>places and often referred to the quality of tea as either being cheap,
> >>poor
> >>quality, better quality, superb quality, etc.
> >>
> >>Here, most places do not serve good tea because they will bring you a
> >>little
> >>pot of hot but not boiling hot water and a tea bag.

> >>Could it be that the author meant that the tea she was getting was not
> >>made
> >>properly? Or is there some really crappy tea out there for sale?
> >>

> >Never had crappy tea, but some are better than others. Maybe the
> >really bad stuff is blended into cheap bags. I don't know.

> The difference between good tea and bad tea is that they both taste
> like crap.
>
> --------------------------------
>
> LOL I must admit, I am no great fan of tea. I was raised on it and was
> glad
> to leave it behind

Would I be ethnically stereotyping you if I was surprised at that?

---------------------

Not to me but then I don't know what others drink

--
http;//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Friday, July 29, 2016 at 5:02:22 PM UTC-10, Doris Night wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 18:53:46 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
>> wrote:

>> >I did not know that coffee can cause this problem. I'll keep it in mind.
>> >Thanks.

>> I'm not sure if coffee causes it or just aggravates it. However, this
>> is one of the few times I follow my doctor's orders. -)
>>
>> He also told me not to drink carbonated beverages (pop, beer, etc). He
>> never mentioned wine, but I find that wine is really bad for reflux.
>>
>> Doris

> Perhaps if one does not drink any liquids an hour before going to bed? How
> does that sound?

Bad idea. Water usually helps a lot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> "Bruce" wrote in message
> T...
>
> In article >,

> says...
> >
> > "Bruce" wrote in message
> > news > >
> > On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 06:15:11 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> > >Never had crappy tea, but some are better than others. Maybe the
> > >really bad stuff is blended into cheap bags. I don't know.

> > The difference between good tea and bad tea is that they both taste
> > like crap.
> >
> > --------------------------------
> >
> > LOL I must admit, I am no great fan of tea. I was raised on it and was
> > glad
> > to leave it behind

> Would I be ethnically stereotyping you if I was surprised at that?
>
> ---------------------
>
> Not to me but then I don't know what others drink

Posted to rec.food.cooking

GOH wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 15:12:58 -0700 (PDT), in rec.food.cooking, dsi1
> > said:
>

> >My daughter is strangely into green tea. She's made matcha mochi, matcha macrons, matcha cookies, etc. Last night we had some matcha cheesecake. I'm not too wild about it although I like the color. It tastes like hay to me.
> >
> >https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...hare_link_copy

> Green tea and matcha are not the same thing although matcha is green in
> colour.

My matcha is red in colour. I use them to light my gas stove. :-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> My daughter is strangely into green tea. She's made matcha mochi,
> matcha macrons, matcha cookies, etc. Last night we had some matcha
> cheesecake. I'm not too wild about it although I like the color. It
> tastes like hay to me.

There, trimmed it down a bit (grin, it was getting a bit long).

Agreed, tastes a bit like hay to me as well. It has a lot of
anti-oxidents and my pet nutritionist has be giving Iowna 1/2 cup warm
weak caffiene free green tea a day. I give it at night and she laps it
up then the warmth soothes her to sleep. The decaffination removes
some of the anti-oxident benefits but not much. Iowna also gets
organic coconunt oil, lignan extract and a few other things (plus her
tramadol for arthritis).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> My daughter is strangely into green tea. She's made matcha mochi,
> matcha macrons, matcha cookies, etc. Last night we had some matcha
> cheesecake. I'm not too wild about it although I like the color. It
> tastes like hay to me.

There, trimmed it down a bit (grin, it was getting a bit long).

Agreed, tastes a bit like hay to me as well. It has a lot of
anti-oxidents and my pet nutritionist has be giving Iowna 1/2 cup warm
weak caffiene free green tea a day. I give it at night and she laps it
up then the warmth soothes her to sleep. The decaffination removes
some of the anti-oxident benefits but not much. Iowna also gets
organic coconunt oil, lignan extract and a few other things (plus her
tramadol for arthritis).
-----------------------------

It always seems odd when I see you saying she had Tramadol) I've been
having it for years because I can't take the usual painkillers

http;//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-07-29 5:56 PM, Bruce wrote:

>> Never had crappy tea, but some are better than others. Maybe the
>> really bad stuff is blended into cheap bags. I don't know.

> The difference between good tea and bad tea is that they both taste
> like crap.

You cannot be serious. Bad tea is wretched stuff. Good tea is
delicious. Anyone living in a country were tea bags come with strings
and tabs to be dunked into a mug cannot be expected to know how good
properly made tea can be. I grew up on the stuff but switched to
coffee because tea can upset my system. I still have the occasional cup
of clear tea and always enjoy it. I don't understand why people put
cream and sugar it their tea. It does not need either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-07-30 9:32 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I can tolerate espresso with just a little sugar. Even better with a
> splash of Amaretto. I will add milk and sugar to coffee. I do that at
> some restaurants because it is so difficult to get a good cup of tea.

I got out of the habit of putting sugar in my coffee years ago. I used
to get a lot of coffee at donut shops that added it at the counter and I
could not get them to put little enough in it so I just started having
it without sugar. I later cut out the cream too. After I retired and
had more time in the morning I started having a morning latte and had
just a little sugar in them, but after a while I opted to eliminate it
from them too. I occasionally have a straight espresso... no sugar.

> My wife drinks her coffee straight up black. I mentioned I bought a
> very expensive Panamanian Geisha and I did drink that black but at the
> price, it will not be my daily drinker.
>
> This one is a little cheaper and almost as good. I'll make her the last
> pot of it tomorrow and then it is gone for a while.
> https://www.lacolombe.com/collection...nt=17894374021

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doris Night wrote:

>I'm not sure if coffee causes it or just aggravates it.

Coffee can definitely cause reflux when drunk in excess, as will many
foods and drinks

>However, this is one of the few times I follow my doctor's orders. -)
>He also told me not to drink carbonated beverages (pop, beer, etc). He
>never mentioned wine, but I find that wine is really bad for reflux.
>
>Doris

All alcoholic beverage can cause and exascerbate reflux, especially
red wine. Food and beverages that irritate the lower esophageal
spincter can cause GERD.
http://www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/...disease-gerd-1
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-07-30, Dave Smith > wrote:

> .....a country were tea bags come with strings and tabs to be dunked
> into a mug cannot be expected to know how good properly made tea can
> be.

What nonsense!

I've paid big $$$$ fer loose teas. Sometimes the stuff in tea-bags is as
good or even better.

I've also been to "tea" bars, where I was able to order many types of
high-end teas. Whatta letdown. Gimme coffee --which has its own
bogus blends-- any time.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 23:19:47 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Friday, July 29, 2016 at 5:02:22 PM UTC-10, Doris Night wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 18:53:46 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
>> wrote:

>> >I did not know that coffee can cause this problem. I'll keep it in mind. Thanks.

>> I'm not sure if coffee causes it or just aggravates it. However, this
>> is one of the few times I follow my doctor's orders. -)
>>
>> He also told me not to drink carbonated beverages (pop, beer, etc). He
>> never mentioned wine, but I find that wine is really bad for reflux.
>>
>> Doris

>Perhaps if one does not drink any liquids an hour before going to bed? How does that sound?

Drinking plain water is fine before going to bed, just not in excess.
I keep a water bottle at my bedside and sip some several times a
night, plain water dilutes stomach acid. Eating solid foods is much
more a trigger for reflux, anything that causes the production of
stomach acid should be avoided prior to bed time... fatty foods are
the worst, that's why chocolate is so bad for reflux sufferers. Eating
fried/fatty foods for dinner should be avoided. I've learned to eat
my biggest/heaviest meals early in the day. I don't eat any dairy
after 2 PM, I've given up ice cream for dessert after dinner, when I
feel like eating icecream I'll eat it mid day... in the evening
Italian ices is satisfying. Cheese is something I eat for brunch. A
few days ago I discovered a great way to prepare eggs, crack four eggs
into a buttered fry pan on low heat, when about half set cover each
egg with a slice of American cheese and keep cooking on the lowest
heat until the cheese is about half melted. The yolks will still be
runny, cook longer to suit. I usually don't keep American cheese but
I got it for the grands. They like American cheese sandwiches, they
also like those store brand/generic egg mcmuffins, I think they are
awful, even the real Egg McMuffins are terrible. The grands rearrange
theirs, one likes the eggs, the other likes the sausage patty, so they
swap. I find it interesting seeing today's kid's eating habits, they
live for fast foods and know them all, there was no fast food when I
was growing up, not even ramen. On visiting day at the kid's camp the
parents brought duffle bags of snack foods, a popular one was those 24
packs of ramen. The kids have no cooking facilities in their cabin
nor are they permitted, so what they do is let the hot tap water run
till it's fully hot and soak the ramen in a mug of hot tap water. I
like ramen but not like tepid pee. I asked but they are not allowed
those little electric coils that boil a cup of water. Cheese Doodles
is another favorite, lots of those giant party size bags arrived. The
camp has many activities but one thing they don't permit is
electronics, no cell phones, no PCs, no game boxes... the kids are
there to keep active, not to be couch potatoes. It's a very expensive
camp, it would be a waste of money if all they did was sit glued to a
screen, could stay home and do that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 08:26:26 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message news >
>On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 06:15:11 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 01:18:27 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>>
>>>Does anyone know what is meant by this? I recently read a series of books
>>>by
>>>a British author. The books were her life story. She lived in a variety of
>>>places and often referred to the quality of tea as either being cheap,
>>>poor
>>>quality, better quality, superb quality, etc.
>>>
>>>Here, most places do not serve good tea because they will bring you a
>>>little
>>>pot of hot but not boiling hot water and a tea bag.

>>>Could it be that the author meant that the tea she was getting was not
>>>made
>>>properly? Or is there some really crappy tea out there for sale?
>>>

>>Never had crappy tea, but some are better than others. Maybe the
>>really bad stuff is blended into cheap bags. I don't know.

>The difference between good tea and bad tea is that they both taste
>like crap.
>
>--------------------------------
>
>LOL I must admit, I am no great fan of tea. I was raised on it and was glad
>to leave it behind

I can have all the tea I want for free, just scoop it from my pond.
Tea is just leaves steeped in water, that's what pond water is. Every
pond is a different flavor, depends what plants are growing nearby...
my pond produces white birch tea... my neighbor's pond produces
weeping willow tea.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 11:29:45 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
ET...

>In article >,
>says...
>>
>> "Bruce" wrote in message
>> news >>
>> On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 06:15:11 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>> >Never had crappy tea, but some are better than others. Maybe the
>> >really bad stuff is blended into cheap bags. I don't know.

>> The difference between good tea and bad tea is that they both taste
>> like crap.

>> LOL I must admit, I am no great fan of tea. I was raised on it and was
>> glad
>> to leave it behind

>Would I be ethnically stereotyping you if I was surprised at that?

>Not to me but then I don't know what others drink

Don't most everyone where you live drink scotch?