Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cornbread stuff - corn sticks & muffins

It's a rainy gloomy day... seemed like a good day to bake some corns
ticks. Leftover batter went into muffin tins. Oops, I forgot to grease
the muffin tins.

http://s33.postimg.org/mz110rj2n/cornbread_stuff.jpg

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 15:04:09 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> It's a rainy gloomy day... seemed like a good day to bake some corns
> ticks. Leftover batter went into muffin tins. Oops, I forgot to grease
> the muffin tins.
>
> http://s33.postimg.org/mz110rj2n/cornbread_stuff.jpg

I love corn sticks and have two cast iron pans to bake them in. I saw
someone say on TV the other day that if you take cornbread batter and
make pancakes out of it, that's Johnny Cakes. Is it true?

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>It's a rainy gloomy day... seemed like a good day to bake some corns
>ticks. Leftover batter went into muffin tins. Oops, I forgot to grease
>the muffin tins.
>
>http://s33.postimg.org/mz110rj2n/cornbread_stuff.jpg
>
>Jill

thanks for the photo. I've seen the pan and wondered what the results
looked like.
Janet us
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 19:33:44 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

> On 6-Jun-2016, jmcquown > wrote:
>
> > It's a rainy gloomy day... seemed like a good day to bake some corns
> > ticks. Leftover batter went into muffin tins. Oops, I forgot to grease
> > the muffin tins.
> >
> > http://s33.postimg.org/mz110rj2n/cornbread_stuff.jpg
> >
> > Jill

> Yummmmm; corn sticks - I'll have two please. 8-)
>
> Haven't had them in years. My mother, and grandmother before her, made all
> manner of cornbread-ish delights; corn bread, sticks, muffins and cakes. As
> a child my grandparents always had plenty of corn from farming; the local
> mill ground it into meal of different coarseness, grits, cracked corn for
> the chickens, etc., Corn sticks were always my favorite because of the
> crunch in every bite. Never quite took to one of my grandmother's
> favorites; leftover cornbread or sticks, crumbled in a glass and drowned in
> buttermilk - that was one of her favorite "meals".

I imagine it was her version of "milk toast"... I love to use my
buttermilk as a cornbread ingredient. So yummy!

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 6, 2016 at 2:04:19 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

> It's a rainy gloomy day... seemed like a good day to bake some corns
> ticks. Leftover batter went into muffin tins. Oops, I forgot to grease
> the muffin tins.
>
> http://s33.postimg.org/mz110rj2n/cornbread_stuff.jpg
>
> Jill

I made a small skillet of cornbread a bit over an hour
ago. I baked it to go with spicy black eyed peas; no
picture, sorry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 6, 2016 at 2:19:19 PM UTC-5, sf wrote:

> I saw
> someone say on TV the other day that if you take cornbread batter and
> make pancakes out of it, that's Johnny Cakes. Is it true?
>
> sf

Yes, same thing but we always called them hoecakes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-06-06 3:04 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> It's a rainy gloomy day... seemed like a good day to bake some corns
> ticks. Leftover batter went into muffin tins. Oops, I forgot to grease
> the muffin tins.
>
> http://s33.postimg.org/mz110rj2n/cornbread_stuff.jpg

Dang, that leaves me wondering what the heck happened to my parents'
corn shaped cast iron pone mold. I remember my mother making corn bread
a few times in it and how much I liked it. We weren't Southerners, not
even Americans. I have never seen one of those molds for sale around here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Yes, sf, basically fried cornbread batter is Johnny Cakes.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The corn stick cast iron pans are readily available from various places on
the web....try Lehmans or Ebay....or take in some farm auctions....

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-06-06, Dave Smith > wrote:

> I have never seen one of those molds for sale around here.

I can't imagine why not. There's dozens on ebay and you can still buy
'em brand new from Lodge:

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Logic-Co.../dp/B00008GKDT

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-06-06 6:11 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2016-06-06, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>> I have never seen one of those molds for sale around here.

> I can't imagine why not. There's dozens on ebay and you can still buy
> 'em brand new from Lodge:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Logic-Co.../dp/B00008GKDT

There is a big difference between what is available in stores around
here and what it available at Amazon. This is not the southern US and
corn bread is not a common food around here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 14:49:16 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> Yes, sf, basically fried cornbread batter is Johnny Cakes.
>
> N.

Thanks Nancy!

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 20:24:50 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

> On 6-Jun-2016, sf > wrote:

> > > Yummmmm; corn sticks - I'll have two please. 8-)
> > >
> > > Haven't had them in years. My mother, and grandmother before her, made
> > > all
> > > manner of cornbread-ish delights; corn bread, sticks, muffins and cakes.
> > > As
> > > a child my grandparents always had plenty of corn from farming; the
> > > local
> > > mill ground it into meal of different coarseness, grits, cracked corn
> > > for
> > > the chickens, etc., Corn sticks were always my favorite because of the
> > > crunch in every bite. Never quite took to one of my grandmother's
> > > favorites; leftover cornbread or sticks, crumbled in a glass and drowned
> > > in
> > > buttermilk - that was one of her favorite "meals".

> > I imagine it was her version of "milk toast"... I love to use my
> > buttermilk as a cornbread ingredient. So yummy!

> What!!! You mean all cornbread isn't made with buttermilk? 8-) I do
> know people make cornbread many different way; but, I don't think I have
> ever had cornbread that wasn't made with buttermilk. The recipe I use is
> buttermilk, eggs, coarse ground corn grits, salt and bacon fat.

I'm telling you, it's true! You can actually find cornbread recipes
that call for regular milk on the internet.

I agree with all of the above except the bacon fat and the only reason
why is because I never remember to try it. I will one of these
days... but I'll probably start with half/half because I think the
flavor of bacon often overpowers the dish it's used in.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 14:50:53 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> The corn stick cast iron pans are readily available from various places on
> the web....try Lehmans or Ebay....or take in some farm auctions....
>
> N.

I bought mine at an old fashioned hardware store, but Amazon has them
if you search for "cast iron cornstick pan".

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6 Jun 2016 22:11:13 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2016-06-06, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
> > I have never seen one of those molds for sale around here.

> I can't imagine why not. There's dozens on ebay and you can still buy
> 'em brand new from Lodge:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Logic-Co.../dp/B00008GKDT

He said he hasn't *seen* them, you know what that means don't you?
He's not talking about an internet search.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> It's a rainy gloomy day... seemed like a good day to bake some corns
> ticks. Leftover batter went into muffin tins. Oops, I forgot to grease
> the muffin tins.
>
> http://s33.postimg.org/mz110rj2n/cornbread_stuff.jpg
>
> Jill

Looks good to me. I love cornbread in any form.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 6, 2016 at 6:56:45 PM UTC-4, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 20:24:50 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

> > > I imagine it was her version of "milk toast"... I love to use my
> > > buttermilk as a cornbread ingredient. So yummy!

> > What!!! You mean all cornbread isn't made with buttermilk? 8-) I do
> > know people make cornbread many different way; but, I don't think I have
> > ever had cornbread that wasn't made with buttermilk. The recipe I use is
> > buttermilk, eggs, coarse ground corn grits, salt and bacon fat.

> I'm telling you, it's true! You can actually find cornbread recipes
> that call for regular milk on the internet.

I'm not sure I've ever made cornbread with buttermilk. I rarely have
it on hand, so I generally use regular milk.

Cindy Hamilton
DamnYankee
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have also never made it with buttermilk. We had it often when I was young,
and I still make it several times a year, at least. I guess it's popular with chili,
but we never had it like that.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> I have also never made it with buttermilk. We had it often when I was young,
> and I still make it several times a year, at least. I guess it's popular with chili,
> but we never had it like that.

I'm not a huge fan of cornbread. The only time I ever make it is to go
with chili. For some reason, that works but otherwise, I consider it a
very inferior food. No offense to others, just my opinion.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 03:17:20 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

> On Monday, June 6, 2016 at 6:56:45 PM UTC-4, sf wrote:
> >
> > I'm telling you, it's true! You can actually find cornbread recipes
> > that call for regular milk on the internet.

> I'm not sure I've ever made cornbread with buttermilk. I rarely have
> it on hand, so I generally use regular milk.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
> DamnYankee

If you can buy a pint (not easy to find around here) of buttermilk,
try making buttermilk cornbread - it will change your life. LOL I
have all sorts of uses for the quart size cartons I normally have to
buy, so it doesn't go to waste.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 07 Jun 2016 11:09:12 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> Nancy2 wrote:
> >
> > I have also never made it with buttermilk. We had it often when I was young,
> > and I still make it several times a year, at least. I guess it's popular with chili,
> > but we never had it like that.

> I'm not a huge fan of cornbread. The only time I ever make it is to go
> with chili. For some reason, that works but otherwise, I consider it a
> very inferior food. No offense to others, just my opinion.

Chili is the usual reason why I make cornbread too. Hubby loves it in
place of regular bread as his breakfast toast, so that's where most of
the leftovers go - but a favorite main dish use for leftover cornbread
is underneath creamed chicken.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

We had cornbread as a main dish for supper, like having breakfast for
dinner...served hot, cut into squares, split in half horizontally, and with
pats of butter and maple syrup. The butter melts right in, and the cornbread
readily soaks up the syrup....an alternative to pancakes or waffles, and
usually served with sausage, bacon or ham.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-06-07 2:39 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 03:17:20 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

>> I'm not sure I've ever made cornbread with buttermilk. I rarely have
>> it on hand, so I generally use regular milk.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>> DamnYankee

> If you can buy a pint (not easy to find around here) of buttermilk,
> try making buttermilk cornbread - it will change your life. LOL I
> have all sorts of uses for the quart size cartons I normally have to
> buy, so it doesn't go to waste.

I buy powdered buttermilk at the Bulk Barn. It may not be exactly the
same as fresh <?> buttermilk, but it works well in cooking. I can't say
that it is cheap, but it is cheaper than buying it by the quart and
throwing half of it away.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/7/2016 6:17 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> I'm not sure I've ever made cornbread with buttermilk. I rarely have
> it on hand, so I generally use regular milk.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
> DamnYankee

LOL I rarely think to buy buttermilk. I "sour" regular milk by adding a
little vinegar to it. It's an old trick.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-06-07 4:43 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 6/7/2016 6:17 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> I'm not sure I've ever made cornbread with buttermilk. I rarely have
>> it on hand, so I generally use regular milk.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>> DamnYankee

> LOL I rarely think to buy buttermilk. I "sour" regular milk by adding a
> little vinegar to it. It's an old trick.

Be sure that some will say it is not the same as real buttermilk, but
the fact is that you get basically the same results. We frequently make
pancakes and buttermilk is my choice. If I happen to have buttermilk on
hand I will use it. We usually have powdered buttermilk on hand, so that
is what I usually use. If we are out of that I do the vinegar thing, and
it always works nicely.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 6, 2016 at 4:50:56 PM UTC-5, Nancy2 wrote:

> The corn stick cast iron pans are readily available from various places on
> the web....try Lehmans or Ebay....or take in some farm auctions....
>
> N.

Yep. He might even find some at a flea market.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote:
> On 6/7/2016 6:17 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> I'm not sure I've ever made cornbread with buttermilk. I rarely have
>> it on hand, so I generally use regular milk.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>> DamnYankee

> LOL I rarely think to buy buttermilk. I "sour" regular milk by adding a
> little vinegar to it. It's an old trick.
>
> Jill

I do that too. I'd say it's one of the handiest kitchen tips I've ever
learned.

--
jinx the minx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 6, 2016 at 5:56:45 PM UTC-5, sf wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 20:24:50 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:
>
> > What!!! You mean all cornbread isn't made with buttermilk? 8-) I do
> > know people make cornbread many different way; but, I don't think I have
> > ever had cornbread that wasn't made with buttermilk. The recipe I use is
> > buttermilk, eggs, coarse ground corn grits, salt and bacon fat.

> I'm telling you, it's true! You can actually find cornbread recipes
> that call for regular milk on the internet.
>
> I agree with all of the above except the bacon fat and the only reason
> why is because I never remember to try it. I will one of these
> days... but I'll probably start with half/half because I think the
> flavor of bacon often overpowers the dish it's used in.
>
> sf

I made my skillet of cornbread with plain milk yesterday
as I had no buttermilk. I don't think my mother ever made
cornbread with buttermilk; wasn't something that was stocked
in the refrigerator.

Also, you'll only be using a small amount of bacon fat; a
tablespoon or less. That's used for flavor, yes, but mainly
to grease the skillet. I don't know about others here, but
I put my bacon fat in the skillet and in the oven it goes to
get rip roaring hot before I pour that cornmeal batter in it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 5:17:25 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I'm not sure I've ever made cornbread with buttermilk. I rarely have
> it on hand, so I generally use regular milk.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
> DamnYankee

Same here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 3:40:39 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> I buy powdered buttermilk at the Bulk Barn. It may not be exactly the
> same as fresh <?> buttermilk, but it works well in cooking. I can't say
> that it is cheap, but it is cheaper than buying it by the quart and
> throwing half of it away.

Why would you throw it away? It's already soured milk so it's
not it is going to go bad.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 13:07:53 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> We had cornbread as a main dish for supper, like having breakfast for
> dinner...served hot, cut into squares, split in half horizontally, and with
> pats of butter and maple syrup. The butter melts right in, and the cornbread
> readily soaks up the syrup....an alternative to pancakes or waffles, and
> usually served with sausage, bacon or ham.

Oooooh, it never crossed my mind to use it that way for breakfast.
That's definitely going into my memory bank to try sometime, yum-yum!

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 19:40:07 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

> On 7-Jun-2016, sf > wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 03:17:20 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > > wrote:

> > > I'm not sure I've ever made cornbread with buttermilk. I rarely have
> > > it on hand, so I generally use regular milk.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton
> > > DamnYankee

> > If you can buy a pint (not easy to find around here) of buttermilk,
> > try making buttermilk cornbread - it will change your life. LOL I
> > have all sorts of uses for the quart size cartons I normally have to
> > buy, so it doesn't go to waste.

> Pints are generally available here; but I more often buy quarts. Any
> leftover buttermilk can be frozen for future use; it does separate when
> thawed but doesn't effect its use in most cooking. Frozen and thawed
> buttermilk is not so good for buttermilk pie or buttermilk ice cream
> recipes.
>
> If a very small amount is left (1/8 to 1/4 cup), I often use it to make sour
> cream, or crema, or more buttermilk.

Buttermilk makes a kick-ass panna cotta too, but speaking of ice cream
- I saw one earlier today that I thought was worth trying this summer.

http://leitesculinaria.com/75806/rec...ice-cream.html

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Monday, June 6, 2016 at 5:56:45 PM UTC-5, sf wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 20:24:50 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:
>>
>> > What!!! You mean all cornbread isn't made with buttermilk? 8-) I
>> > do
>> > know people make cornbread many different way; but, I don't think I
>> > have
>> > ever had cornbread that wasn't made with buttermilk. The recipe I use
>> > is
>> > buttermilk, eggs, coarse ground corn grits, salt and bacon fat.

>> I'm telling you, it's true! You can actually find cornbread recipes
>> that call for regular milk on the internet.
>>
>> I agree with all of the above except the bacon fat and the only reason
>> why is because I never remember to try it. I will one of these
>> days... but I'll probably start with half/half because I think the
>> flavor of bacon often overpowers the dish it's used in.
>>
>> sf
>>

> I made my skillet of cornbread with plain milk yesterday
> as I had no buttermilk. I don't think my mother ever made
> cornbread with buttermilk; wasn't something that was stocked
> in the refrigerator.
>
> Also, you'll only be using a small amount of bacon fat; a
> tablespoon or less. That's used for flavor, yes, but mainly
> to grease the skillet. I don't know about others here, but
> I put my bacon fat in the skillet and in the oven it goes to
> get rip roaring hot before I pour that cornmeal batter in it.

I do the same thing with my cast iron skillet when I make cornbread.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 8:03:32 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

> > He might even find some at a flea market.
> >

> I don't know about Dave finding corn stick pans at a flea market. He
> lives in Canada. They are available on ebay and other online sources.
>
> Jill

I was supposing he had a flea market like around here, if not,
then yes, an online site would be his best bet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 17:55:29 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> > wrote in message
> >
> > Also, you'll only be using a small amount of bacon fat; a
> > tablespoon or less. That's used for flavor, yes, but mainly
> > to grease the skillet. I don't know about others here, but
> > I put my bacon fat in the skillet and in the oven it goes to
> > get rip roaring hot before I pour that cornmeal batter in it.

> I do the same thing with my cast iron skillet when I make cornbread.

I think most people who use a cast iron skillet put it into the oven
when they turn it on. I'm glad Joan clarified that bacon fat is only
used to coat the pan. OK, I can do that.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 21:35:32 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 8:03:32 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
>>
>> > He might even find some at a flea market.
>> >

>> I don't know about Dave finding corn stick pans at a flea market. He
>> lives in Canada. They are available on ebay and other online sources.
>>
>> Jill
>>

>I was supposing he had a flea market like around here, if not,
>then yes, an online site would be his best bet.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lodge-Cast...ingMethod=p13n

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Well, when buttermilk is bad, it is solid and sour, it won't pour. So, yes,
I dump I t. It isn't exactly the same as sour milk, anyway. Soured milk
may work as well in some recipes, but it's not the same.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/6/2016 3:19 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 15:04:09 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> It's a rainy gloomy day... seemed like a good day to bake some corns
>> ticks. Leftover batter went into muffin tins. Oops, I forgot to grease
>> the muffin tins.
>>
>> http://s33.postimg.org/mz110rj2n/cornbread_stuff.jpg
>>

> I love corn sticks and have two cast iron pans to bake them in. I saw
> someone say on TV the other day that if you take cornbread batter and
> make pancakes out of it, that's Johnny Cakes. Is it true?

Pretty much. If you're interested you should try boli's recipe on the
RFC web site for griddle cakes:

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/sigs/Boli/E%20Walker's%20Cornmeal%20Griddle%20Cakes.html

IMHO the batter should be a bit more thin for Johnny Cakes than for
traditional Southern cornbread. No reason why it wouldn't work, though.
People pan-fry polenta. They pan-fry grits. While they're not
exactly the same thing the concept is correct.

Jill