Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The Bible and Food

The Bible and Food Gods purpose for food
The Bible says a lot about food. But before discussing dietary
restrictions, we should first ask about Gods general purposes for food.
There are many ways to approach this topic. We all know the pleasures
related to eating. Good food is enjoyable, for God intended it that way.
As the Bible says:

God created [food] to be received with thanksgiving by those who
believe and who know the truth. [He] richly provides us with everything
for our enjoyment (1 Timothy 4:3; 6:17).

Dining with friends and family multiplies the enjoyment, something even
Jesus appreciated. All this demonstrates Gods goodness.

Food also demonstrates our dependence upon God. That thought should make
us humble and turn us away from pride. Moses noted these truths when he
reminded the Israelites of Gods leading in their lives:

He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with
manna, which neither you nor your ancestors had known, to teach you that
man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the
mouth of the LORD (Deuteronomy 8:3).

For all this, God deserves our praise.

Those are the central concepts that have been clear from the beginning.
At times, however, God has changed the rules about eating. Adam and Eve
were vegetarians (Genesis 1:29-30). Later, God told Noah he could also
eat any animal, but not blood (Genesis 9:3-4). Later still, through
Moses God gave very strict dietary regulations to the nation of Israel.
That helped make them distinct as His special people. But God also
intended that those religious laws create certain problems. He wanted
the Israelites to learn that no one was perfectthat no one could do all
God required (Acts 15:10; Galatians 4:1-5:3). Later, when Jesus lived on
earth, He once again declared that any food could be eaten without fear
of breaking Gods rules.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 20, 2016 at 7:30:55 PM UTC-6, God Bless wrote:
> The Bible and Food Gods purpose for food
> The Bible says a lot about food. But before discussing dietary
> restrictions, we should first ask about Gods general purposes for food.
> There are many ways to approach this topic. We all know the pleasures
> related to eating. Good food is enjoyable, for God intended it that way.
> As the Bible says:
>
> God created [food] to be received with thanksgiving by those who
> believe and who know the truth. [He] richly provides us with everything
> for our enjoyment (1 Timothy 4:3; 6:17).
>
> Dining with friends and family multiplies the enjoyment, something even
> Jesus appreciated. All this demonstrates Gods goodness.
>
> Food also demonstrates our dependence upon God. That thought should make
> us humble and turn us away from pride. Moses noted these truths when he
> reminded the Israelites of Gods leading in their lives:
>
> He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with
> manna, which neither you nor your ancestors had known, to teach you that
> man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the
> mouth of the LORD (Deuteronomy 8:3).
>
> For all this, God deserves our praise.
>
> Those are the central concepts that have been clear from the beginning.
> At times, however, God has changed the rules about eating. Adam and Eve
> were vegetarians (Genesis 1:29-30). Later, God told Noah he could also
> eat any animal, but not blood (Genesis 9:3-4). Later still, through
> Moses God gave very strict dietary regulations to the nation of Israel.
> That helped make them distinct as His special people. But God also
> intended that those religious laws create certain problems. He wanted
> the Israelites to learn that no one was perfectthat no one could do all
> God required (Acts 15:10; Galatians 4:1-5:3). Later, when Jesus lived on
> earth, He once again declared that any food could be eaten without fear
> of breaking Gods rules.

I would say that God was very ignorant about food and what is good and what isn't. Those old food laws should be re-written as well as the whole Bible....terrible organization and ridiculous interpretations from the original Greek and Roman texts.
====
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/20/2016 7:20 PM, Roy wrote:

> I would say that God was very ignorant about food and what is good and

what isn't. Those old food laws should be re-written as well as the

whole Bible...terrible organization and ridiculous interpretations

from the original Greek and Roman texts.

Romans 1:18-32 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all
ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness
suppress the truth. For what can be known about God is plain to them,
because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely,
his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever
since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So
they are without excuse. For although they knew God, they did not honor
him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their
thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Claiming to be wise,
they became fools, ...