Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Breadmachine bread

One of my neighbors makes bread everyday with his inexpensive bread-machine. The bread is so good that I have just ordered one for myself. Do many of you RFCers use these machines or has the interest in them waned? Just curious.
====

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 20, 2016 at 9:09:23 AM UTC+10, Roy wrote:
> One of my neighbors makes bread everyday with his inexpensive bread-machine. The bread is so good that I have just ordered one for myself. Do many of you RFCers use these machines or has the interest in them waned? Just curious.

I use one, occasionally. Don't eat bread daily, and live very close to an excellent bakery. Gets used more often for making dough (usually for pulla) rather than making bread.

The machines are cheap, and easy to use. Set up to bake the bread overnight, and you can have hot fresh bread for breakfast.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 15:09:04 -0800 (PST), Roy >
wrote:

>One of my neighbors makes bread everyday with his inexpensive bread-machine. The bread is so good that I have just ordered one for myself. Do many of you RFCers use these machines or has the interest in them waned? Just curious.

I almost started this very same thread myself.

When I went camping recently, a friend used her bread maker and we had
nice, fresh bread each morning. For some reason I've always been
highly sceptical of bread makers, preferring to do it by hand.

Last week I borrowed an old, well used (noisy!) bread maker to try for
myself, still being a little resistant to the idea. Well, I'm not a
skeptic any more, and sometime soon I'll be buying my own.

I have the bread maker running right now as I type this.
The time and trouble it saves is well worth it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 15:23:38 -0800 (PST), Timo
> wrote:

>The machines are cheap, and easy to use. Set up to bake the bread overnight, and you can have hot fresh bread for breakfast.

Yep, and the newer ones have a compartment for adding fruit - I like
the idea of waking up to a fresh loaf of raisin bread in the morning.

I did a bit of research yesterday, and in Australia at least, this
seems to be the one to get:

http://www.panasonic.com/au/consumer...s/sd-2501.html

My research also suggests staying the hell away from Breville
models... problems with the paddle seems to be a common issue and
Breville wants $50 for a replacement.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Roy wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> One of my neighbors makes bread everyday with his inexpensive
> bread-machine. The bread is so good that I have just ordered one for
> myself. Do many of you RFCers use these machines or has the interest
> in them waned? Just curious. ====

I don't use one every day but I do use one about 3 times a week.

There are no bakerys that can do as well as what I now do from the
machine kneading is after decades of experience with them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
> One of my neighbors makes bread everyday with his inexpensive
> bread-machine. The bread is so good that I have just ordered one for
> myself. Do many of you RFCers use these machines or has the interest in
> them waned? Just curious.
> ====

I tried one. Granted it was a cheap one but I hated it. Noisy, time
consuming, made an odd shaped too small loaf and the bread just wasn't good.
My cousin has several of them. He invited us for lunch some years ago.
They used to have a huge, custom house on an island here but they have since
moved to CA somewhere and are running a BBQ joint. Anyway... We walked
into the kitchen with the bread makers steaming away, each making a
different type of bread. By the time lunch time rolled around, the bread
was cool enough to slice and they put out everything you could imagine to
make sandwiches plus some salads and fruit. Everything in my life pales in
comparison.

Now when I do make bread, I just make the no knead kind. I actually love
kneading bread but my kitchen is just so small that I don't have a good
place to do it. I used to have a large dining table and I could use it for
things like that but the movers broke it and it wouldn't fit in this house
anyway. Current table is more for looks. Tiny thing with folding flaps and
when extended, does not make for a flat table.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20/1/2016 10:43 Je�us wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 15:09:04 -0800 (PST), Roy >
> wrote:
>
>>One of my neighbors makes bread everyday with his inexpensive bread-machine. The bread is so good that I have just ordered one for myself. Do many of you RFCers use these machines or has the interest in them waned? Just curious.

> I almost started this very same thread myself.
>
> When I went camping recently, a friend used her bread maker and we had
> nice, fresh bread each morning. For some reason I've always been
> highly sceptical of bread makers, preferring to do it by hand.
>
> Last week I borrowed an old, well used (noisy!) bread maker to try for
> myself, still being a little resistant to the idea. Well, I'm not a
> skeptic any more, and sometime soon I'll be buying my own.
>
> I have the bread maker running right now as I type this.
> The time and trouble it saves is well worth it.

I think it's always better than supermarket bread, but don't you hate
the paddle hole in the bread? Or do you remove the paddle after the
kneading phase?

--
Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 01:27:30 -0000 (UTC), Bruce >
wrote:

>On 20/1/2016 10:43 Je�us wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 15:09:04 -0800 (PST), Roy >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>One of my neighbors makes bread everyday with his inexpensive bread-machine. The bread is so good that I have just ordered one for myself. Do many of you RFCers use these machines or has the interest in them waned? Just curious.

>> I almost started this very same thread myself.
>>
>> When I went camping recently, a friend used her bread maker and we had
>> nice, fresh bread each morning. For some reason I've always been
>> highly sceptical of bread makers, preferring to do it by hand.
>>
>> Last week I borrowed an old, well used (noisy!) bread maker to try for
>> myself, still being a little resistant to the idea. Well, I'm not a
>> skeptic any more, and sometime soon I'll be buying my own.
>>
>> I have the bread maker running right now as I type this.
>> The time and trouble it saves is well worth it.

>I think it's always better than supermarket bread,

Definitely better!

>but don't you hate the paddle hole in the bread?

No, not on the one I'm using at least. Put it this way - I didn't seem
to notice it a great deal on the couple of loaves I have done so far.
I think I just cut off that part, <shrug> no biggie for me. The chooks
can have that.

The third loaf is nearly ready, I'll pay closer attention to the
paddle hole when it comes out this time.

>Or do you remove the paddle after the kneading phase?

I suppose I could remove the paddle after kneading if it really
bothered me, apart from if it's set on the timer and working while I'm
sleeping of course.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 20/1/2016 10:43 Je�us wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 15:09:04 -0800 (PST), Roy >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > One of my neighbors makes bread everyday with his inexpensive
> > > bread-machine. The bread is so good that I have just ordered one
> > > for myself. Do many of you RFCers use these machines or has the
> > > interest in them waned? Just curious.

> > I almost started this very same thread myself.
> >
> > When I went camping recently, a friend used her bread maker and we
> > had nice, fresh bread each morning. For some reason I've always been
> > highly sceptical of bread makers, preferring to do it by hand.
> >
> > Last week I borrowed an old, well used (noisy!) bread maker to try
> > for myself, still being a little resistant to the idea. Well, I'm
> > not a skeptic any more, and sometime soon I'll be buying my own.
> >
> > I have the bread maker running right now as I type this.
> > The time and trouble it saves is well worth it.

> I think it's always better than supermarket bread, but don't you hate
> the paddle hole in the bread? Or do you remove the paddle after the
> kneading phase?

I do it in dough mode most of the time and form to small buns or loaves.

Besides, the hole is not a problem. Thats where you'd center slice the
bread anyways.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20/1/2016 12:50 cshenk wrote:

> Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> On 20/1/2016 10:43 Je�us wrote:

>> > I almost started this very same thread myself.
>> >
>> > When I went camping recently, a friend used her bread maker and we
>> > had nice, fresh bread each morning. For some reason I've always been
>> > highly sceptical of bread makers, preferring to do it by hand.
>> >
>> > Last week I borrowed an old, well used (noisy!) bread maker to try
>> > for myself, still being a little resistant to the idea. Well, I'm
>> > not a skeptic any more, and sometime soon I'll be buying my own.
>> >
>> > I have the bread maker running right now as I type this.
>> > The time and trouble it saves is well worth it.

>> I think it's always better than supermarket bread, but don't you hate
>> the paddle hole in the bread? Or do you remove the paddle after the
>> kneading phase?

> I do it in dough mode most of the time and form to small buns or loaves.
>
> Besides, the hole is not a problem. Thats where you'd center slice the
> bread anyways.

You must have a BBM that makes horizontal loaves. I used to have a
vertical one, and the hole would go up one quarter of the (small) loaf
or so.

--
Bruce

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jeßus > wrote in
:

> My research also suggests staying the hell away from Breville
> models... problems with the paddle seems to be a common issue and
> Breville wants $50 for a replacement.

I realize that YMMV and that a sample of one isn't a valid statistical
study, but I've had my Breville for years and the only problem I've ever
had with the paddle is remembering where I put it while I was cleaning the
rest of the machine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> My research also suggests staying the hell away from Breville
>> models... problems with the paddle seems to be a common issue and
>> Breville wants $50 for a replacement.

>I realize that YMMV and that a sample of one isn't a valid statistical
>study, but I've had my Breville for years and the only problem I've ever
>had with the paddle is remembering where I put it while I was cleaning the
>rest of the machine.

The machine I am currently borrowing is also a Breville, and I've had
no problems with the paddle either. It seems to be an issue with their
Custom Loaf Pro BBM800 model, which was the only Breville that caught
my interest.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 12:50:16 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 01:27:30 -0000 (UTC), Bruce >
>wrote:
>
>>On 20/1/2016 10:43 Je�us wrote:

>>> I almost started this very same thread myself.
>>>
>>> When I went camping recently, a friend used her bread maker and we had
>>> nice, fresh bread each morning. For some reason I've always been
>>> highly sceptical of bread makers, preferring to do it by hand.
>>>
>>> Last week I borrowed an old, well used (noisy!) bread maker to try for
>>> myself, still being a little resistant to the idea. Well, I'm not a
>>> skeptic any more, and sometime soon I'll be buying my own.
>>>
>>> I have the bread maker running right now as I type this.
>>> The time and trouble it saves is well worth it.

>>I think it's always better than supermarket bread,

>Definitely better!
>
>>but don't you hate the paddle hole in the bread?

>No, not on the one I'm using at least. Put it this way - I didn't seem
>to notice it a great deal on the couple of loaves I have done so far.
>I think I just cut off that part, <shrug> no biggie for me. The chooks
>can have that.
>
>The third loaf is nearly ready, I'll pay closer attention to the
>paddle hole when it comes out this time.

Meh... it's just a 1" hole in the middle of the last 1-2" of the loaf.
I can live with that
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20/1/2016 17:34 Jeßus wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 12:50:16 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 01:27:30 -0000 (UTC), Bruce >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I think it's always better than supermarket bread,

>>Definitely better!
>>
>>>but don't you hate the paddle hole in the bread?

>>No, not on the one I'm using at least. Put it this way - I didn't seem
>>to notice it a great deal on the couple of loaves I have done so far.
>>I think I just cut off that part, <shrug> no biggie for me. The chooks
>>can have that.
>>
>>The third loaf is nearly ready, I'll pay closer attention to the
>>paddle hole when it comes out this time.

> Meh... it's just a 1" hole in the middle of the last 1-2" of the loaf.
> I can live with that

I've been thinking of getting one again, just to do the kneading. I
don't like the sticky, messy part.

--
Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 07:00:16 -0000 (UTC), Bruce >
wrote:

>On 20/1/2016 17:34 Jeßus wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 12:50:16 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

>>>Definitely better!

>>>No, not on the one I'm using at least. Put it this way - I didn't seem
>>>to notice it a great deal on the couple of loaves I have done so far.
>>>I think I just cut off that part, <shrug> no biggie for me. The chooks
>>>can have that.
>>>
>>>The third loaf is nearly ready, I'll pay closer attention to the
>>>paddle hole when it comes out this time.

>> Meh... it's just a 1" hole in the middle of the last 1-2" of the loaf.
>> I can live with that

>I've been thinking of getting one again, just to do the kneading. I
>don't like the sticky, messy part.

They do do a good job of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
> One of my neighbors makes bread everyday with his inexpensive
> bread-machine. The bread is so good that I have just ordered one for
> myself. Do many of you RFCers use these machines or has the interest in
> them waned? Just curious.
> ====

I don't actually bake in mine but I do use it to make 'starters' and have it
knead the dough. I have arthritis in my hand the machine is a boon I do
prefer to bake the bread in the oven though. I can use my own recipes so
long as I keep within the quantity levels (iyswim)

I certainly take a lot of work out of it

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20/01/2016 5:23 PM, Alan Holbrook wrote:
> Jeßus > wrote in
> :
>

>> My research also suggests staying the hell away from Breville
>> models... problems with the paddle seems to be a common issue and
>> Breville wants $50 for a replacement.

> I realize that YMMV and that a sample of one isn't a valid statistical
> study, but I've had my Breville for years and the only problem I've ever
> had with the paddle is remembering where I put it while I was cleaning the
> rest of the machine.

I thought the Breville paddles folded down precisely so they wouldn't
leave too large a hole in the loaf.

--

Xeno
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On 20/1/2016 10:43 Je�us wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 15:09:04 -0800 (PST), Roy >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>One of my neighbors makes bread everyday with his inexpensive
>>>bread-machine. The bread is so good that I have just ordered one for
>>>myself. Do many of you RFCers use these machines or has the interest in
>>>them waned? Just curious.

>> I almost started this very same thread myself.
>>
>> When I went camping recently, a friend used her bread maker and we had
>> nice, fresh bread each morning. For some reason I've always been
>> highly sceptical of bread makers, preferring to do it by hand.
>>
>> Last week I borrowed an old, well used (noisy!) bread maker to try for
>> myself, still being a little resistant to the idea. Well, I'm not a
>> skeptic any more, and sometime soon I'll be buying my own.
>>
>> I have the bread maker running right now as I type this.
>> The time and trouble it saves is well worth it.

> I think it's always better than supermarket bread, but don't you hate
> the paddle hole in the bread? Or do you remove the paddle after the
> kneading phase?

Since I never bake in it I never get the hole) I always bake mine in the
oven but it is usually rolls I make anyway

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On 20/1/2016 17:34 JeÃYus wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 12:50:16 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

>>>Definitely better!

>>>No, not on the one I'm using at least. Put it this way - I didn't seem
>>>to notice it a great deal on the couple of loaves I have done so far.
>>>I think I just cut off that part, <shrug> no biggie for me. The chooks
>>>can have that.
>>>
>>>The third loaf is nearly ready, I'll pay closer attention to the
>>>paddle hole when it comes out this time.

>> Meh... it's just a 1" hole in the middle of the last 1-2" of the loaf.
>> I can live with that

> I've been thinking of getting one again, just to do the kneading. I
> don't like the sticky, messy part.

I which case you will love it)
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20/1/2016 20:31 Ophelia wrote:

> "Bruce" > wrote in message

>>> Meh... it's just a 1" hole in the middle of the last 1-2" of the loaf.
>>> I can live with that

>> I've been thinking of getting one again, just to do the kneading. I
>> don't like the sticky, messy part.

> I which case you will love it)

I think so too.

--
Bruce

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> "Roy" > wrote in message
> > One of my neighbors makes bread everyday with his inexpensive
> > bread-machine. The bread is so good that I have just ordered one for
> > myself. Do many of you RFCers use these machines or has the interest in
> > them waned? Just curious.
> > ====

> I don't actually bake in mine but I do use it to make 'starters' and have it
> knead the dough. I have arthritis in my hand the machine is a boon I do
> prefer to bake the bread in the oven though. I can use my own recipes so
> long as I keep within the quantity levels (iyswim)
>
> I certainly take a lot of work out of it

I do essentially the opposite. I mix the dough in a food processor then
move it to the bread maker to knead, rise and bake. Mine is finicky with
the dough, and mixing with the food processor lets me make slight
adjustments to flour or liquid. On average I'd say I use it 2 or 3 times
a month.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" wrote:

> When I went camping recently, a friend used her bread maker and we had
> nice, fresh bread each morning.

What the hell kind of faux camping are you doing? RealCamping(tm)
does not include a power source to use a bread machine. Give me a
break. Real camping involves cooking on a wood fire.

Not for everyone, but I prefer "wilderness camping." What you use is
what you carry on your back for miles into a wilderness area. Also a
fun challenge is to carry very little food and try your best to live
off the land and suppliment the small amount of food that you carry
in.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/20/2016 9:45 AM, Gary wrote:
> "Jeßus" wrote:
>>
>> When I went camping recently, a friend used her bread maker and we had
>> nice, fresh bread each morning.

> What the hell kind of faux camping are you doing? RealCamping(tm)
> does not include a power source to use a bread machine. Give me a
> break. Real camping involves cooking on a wood fire.

(snippage)

I was kind of wondering about that myself. I've only been camping a few
times but it was rough camping. As in, dig a latrine. Sure, we had a
cooler to keep the food in. But no electricity. His sounds more like
an RV "campground" with electrical hookups.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> "Jeßus" wrote:
>>
>> When I went camping recently, a friend used her bread maker and we had
>> nice, fresh bread each morning.

> What the hell kind of faux camping are you doing? RealCamping(tm)
> does not include a power source to use a bread machine. Give me a
> break. Real camping involves cooking on a wood fire.
>
> Not for everyone, but I prefer "wilderness camping." What you use is
> what you carry on your back for miles into a wilderness area. Also a
> fun challenge is to carry very little food and try your best to live
> off the land and suppliment the small amount of food that you carry
> in.

My parents were big on that, I always hated "wilderness camping." In the
later years, we camped with RV's, which works much better for me.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Storkamp" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> "Roy" > wrote in message
>> > One of my neighbors makes bread everyday with his inexpensive
>> > bread-machine. The bread is so good that I have just ordered one for
>> > myself. Do many of you RFCers use these machines or has the interest in
>> > them waned? Just curious.
>> > ====

>> I don't actually bake in mine but I do use it to make 'starters' and have
>> it
>> knead the dough. I have arthritis in my hand the machine is a boon I
>> do
>> prefer to bake the bread in the oven though. I can use my own recipes so
>> long as I keep within the quantity levels (iyswim)
>>
>> I certainly take a lot of work out of it

> I do essentially the opposite. I mix the dough in a food processor then
> move it to the bread maker to knead, rise and bake. Mine is finicky with
> the dough, and mixing with the food processor lets me make slight
> adjustments to flour or liquid. On average I'd say I use it 2 or 3 times
> a month.

This just shows we have options to choose different ways of using one )

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Gary" > wrote in message
>> "Jeßus" wrote:
>>>
>>> When I went camping recently, a friend used her bread maker and we had
>>> nice, fresh bread each morning.

>> What the hell kind of faux camping are you doing? RealCamping(tm)
>> does not include a power source to use a bread machine. Give me a
>> break. Real camping involves cooking on a wood fire.
>>
>> Not for everyone, but I prefer "wilderness camping." What you use is
>> what you carry on your back for miles into a wilderness area. Also a
>> fun challenge is to carry very little food and try your best to live
>> off the land and suppliment the small amount of food that you carry
>> in.

> My parents were big on that, I always hated "wilderness camping." In the
> later years, we camped with RV's, which works much better for me.

We still have a caravan (trailer?) but we don't travel to different places
in it now. We have it stored on a farm in a favourite place and we do down
to stay in it whenever we want
We have all home comforts in it too!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 20, 2016 at 8:46:50 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:
> "Jeßus" wrote:
> >
> > When I went camping recently, a friend used her bread maker and we had
> > nice, fresh bread each morning.

> What the hell kind of faux camping are you doing? RealCamping(tm)
> does not include a power source to use a bread machine. Give me a
> break. Real camping involves cooking on a wood fire.
>
> Not for everyone, but I prefer "wilderness camping." What you use is
> what you carry on your back for miles into a wilderness area. Also a
> fun challenge is to carry very little food and try your best to live
> off the land and suppliment the small amount of food that you carry
> in.

When I first got into camping I was a "purist". But then I realised that we all make camping technologically advantageous as we all see fit! Think about it, the purest form of camping would be to be dropped naked and alone into a several hundrerd acre wilderness!!

I'll stick with sleeping in the back of Baby II, my 2006 Grand Caravan! :-) Have yet to do that, but it's coming!!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 09:45:16 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>"Jeßus" wrote:
>>
>> When I went camping recently, a friend used her bread maker and we had
>> nice, fresh bread each morning.

>What the hell kind of faux camping are you doing? RealCamping(tm)
>does not include a power source to use a bread machine. Give me a
>break. Real camping involves cooking on a wood fire.

It can involve fires of course, did I use the wrong term?

My friends 'camp' down the coast from here about six months of each
year. They are certainly *not* roughing it though. A full size caravan
(or trailer) with annexe which has a decent kitchen, solar
power/generator, even growing some vegetables on site. Internet
access, not one but two boats, a trailer for firewood and water, two
4x4's too I have my camper trailer set up down there next to their
setup and come and go when I can.

The fishing is great there, with plenty of lobster. I'm hoping to stay
down there this weekend if the rest of the week goes as planned.

>Not for everyone, but I prefer "wilderness camping." What you use is
>what you carry on your back for miles into a wilderness area. Also a
>fun challenge is to carry very little food and try your best to live
>off the land and suppliment the small amount of food that you carry
>in.

We do that here too when fishing up the lakes, for example.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 09:57:45 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 1/20/2016 9:45 AM, Gary wrote:
>> "Jeßus" wrote:
>>>
>>> When I went camping recently, a friend used her bread maker and we had
>>> nice, fresh bread each morning.

>> What the hell kind of faux camping are you doing? RealCamping(tm)
>> does not include a power source to use a bread machine. Give me a
>> break. Real camping involves cooking on a wood fire.
>>

>(snippage)
>
>I was kind of wondering about that myself. I've only been camping a few
>times but it was rough camping. As in, dig a latrine. Sure, we had a
>cooler to keep the food in. But no electricity. His sounds more like
>an RV "campground" with electrical hookups.

They are in a designated "campground" area, there's no power or other
facilities there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/20/2016 11:58 AM, Je�us wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 09:57:45 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> What the hell kind of faux camping are you doing? RealCamping(tm)
>>> does not include a power source to use a bread machine. Give me a
>>> break. Real camping involves cooking on a wood fire.
>>>

>> (snippage)
>>
>> I was kind of wondering about that myself. I've only been camping a few
>> times but it was rough camping. As in, dig a latrine. Sure, we had a
>> cooler to keep the food in. But no electricity. His sounds more like
>> an RV "campground" with electrical hookups.

> They are in a designated "campground" area, there's no power or other
> facilities there.

Then how did she plug in the bread machine? I'm confused.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/20/2016 11:56 AM, Je�us wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 09:45:16 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
>> "Jeßus" wrote:
>>>
>>> When I went camping recently, a friend used her bread maker and we had
>>> nice, fresh bread each morning.

>> What the hell kind of faux camping are you doing? RealCamping(tm)
>> does not include a power source to use a bread machine. Give me a
>> break. Real camping involves cooking on a wood fire.

> It can involve fires of course, did I use the wrong term?
>
> My friends 'camp' down the coast from here about six months of each
> year. They are certainly *not* roughing it though. A full size caravan
> (or trailer) with annexe which has a decent kitchen, solar
> power/generator, even growing some vegetables on site. Internet
> access, not one but two boats, a trailer for firewood and water, two
> 4x4's too I have my camper trailer set up down there next to their
> setup and come and go when I can.

(snippage)

Yes, that's the difference in terms. You were in a caravan/trailer.
With all those bells and whistles. Not pitching a tent in the
wilderness and gathering wood for a fire. Okey doke.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 12:03:44 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 1/20/2016 11:58 AM, Je?us wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 09:57:45 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> (snippage)
>>>
>>> I was kind of wondering about that myself. I've only been camping a few
>>> times but it was rough camping. As in, dig a latrine. Sure, we had a
>>> cooler to keep the food in. But no electricity. His sounds more like
>>> an RV "campground" with electrical hookups.

>> They are in a designated "campground" area, there's no power or other
>> facilities there.
>>

>Then how did she plug in the bread machine? I'm confused.
>
>Jill

some places do have plug-ins so that you can run your heat or air
conditioning, etc. I haven't ever camped like that. Some people
carry generators -- that makes it unpleasant for others who want to
sleep and/or breathe without inhaling exhaust
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 1/20/2016 11:58 AM, Je?us wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 09:57:45 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> (snippage)
>>>
>>> I was kind of wondering about that myself. I've only been camping a few
>>> times but it was rough camping. As in, dig a latrine. Sure, we had a
>>> cooler to keep the food in. But no electricity. His sounds more like
>>> an RV "campground" with electrical hookups.

>> They are in a designated "campground" area, there's no power or other
>> facilities there.
>>

>Then how did she plug in the bread machine? I'm confused.

Sorry, I explained that in another reply. They have some solar panels,
batteries/inverter and a generator.

In Aus at least, the term 'camping' covers everything from carrying
nothing more than a backpack through to your full sized Winnebago
(sp)... and everything in between.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 10:12:00 -0700, Janet B >
wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 12:03:44 -0500, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>
>>On 1/20/2016 11:58 AM, Je?us wrote:

>>> They are in a designated "campground" area, there's no power or other
>>> facilities there.
>>>

>>Then how did she plug in the bread machine? I'm confused.
>>
>>Jill

>some places do have plug-ins so that you can run your heat or air
>conditioning, etc. I haven't ever camped like that. Some people
>carry generators -- that makes it unpleasant for others who want to
>sleep and/or breathe without inhaling exhaust

Yes, generators can be annoying... very annoying if used in the wrong
places. In some places though they can be fine, for example on sites
with plenty of bush which can mask the noise and fumes and you can run
a long lead to your camper... mind you, modern generators are very
quiet and not particularly fumey. Generators have their place, but not
just in any old place.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> I've been thinking of getting one again, just to do the kneading. I
> don't like the sticky, messy part.

Use your food processor for that.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 09:45:16 -0500, Gary > wrote:

> "Jeßus" wrote:
> >
> > When I went camping recently, a friend used her bread maker and we had
> > nice, fresh bread each morning.

> What the hell kind of faux camping are you doing? RealCamping(tm)
> does not include a power source to use a bread machine. Give me a
> break. Real camping involves cooking on a wood fire.
>
> Not for everyone, but I prefer "wilderness camping." What you use is
> what you carry on your back for miles into a wilderness area. Also a
> fun challenge is to carry very little food and try your best to live
> off the land and suppliment the small amount of food that you carry
> in.

I hear you. RV camping is not camping to me either.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 12:06:40 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 1/20/2016 11:56 AM, Je?us wrote:

> >> What the hell kind of faux camping are you doing? RealCamping(tm)
> >> does not include a power source to use a bread machine. Give me a
> >> break. Real camping involves cooking on a wood fire.

> > It can involve fires of course, did I use the wrong term?
> >
> > My friends 'camp' down the coast from here about six months of each
> > year. They are certainly *not* roughing it though. A full size caravan
> > (or trailer) with annexe which has a decent kitchen, solar
> > power/generator, even growing some vegetables on site. Internet
> > access, not one but two boats, a trailer for firewood and water, two
> > 4x4's too I have my camper trailer set up down there next to their
> > setup and come and go when I can.
> >

> (snippage)
>
> Yes, that's the difference in terms. You were in a caravan/trailer.
> With all those bells and whistles. Not pitching a tent in the
> wilderness and gathering wood for a fire. Okey doke.
>
> Jill

RVs (recreational vehicles) are just rolling motels with kitchenettes.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

> When I first got into camping I was a "purist". But then I realised that we all make camping technologically advantageous as we all see fit! Think about it, the purest form of camping would be to be dropped naked and...

UNSUBSCRIBE!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 02:05:54 -0000 (UTC), Bruce >
wrote:

>On 20/1/2016 12:50 cshenk wrote:
>
>> Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> I think it's always better than supermarket bread, but don't you hate
>>> the paddle hole in the bread? Or do you remove the paddle after the
>>> kneading phase?

>> I do it in dough mode most of the time and form to small buns or loaves.
>>
>> Besides, the hole is not a problem. Thats where you'd center slice the
>> bread anyways.

>You must have a BBM that makes horizontal loaves.

What's a "BBM"... a Big Beautiful Milf?

>I used to have a vertical one, and the hole would go
>up one quarter of the (small) loaf or so.

So what, it makes little difference when the round slices are cut in
half, and that little paddle only protrudes into the loaf 3/4" at
most... and with those types of ABMs you can remove the paddle right
after the last knead, then there's just a small pock mark in the
crust, all gone with the first slice, here it's the last slice. I
very rarely set my ABM in advance so the bread is still hot when I
wake up, I don't enjoy bread hot from the oven, it's got to go on a
cooling rack for a while or it won't slice properly. I've enjoyed
bread from my ABM for more than 20 years. I used to use it twice a
week but these days twice a month as I don't eat nearly as much bread.
I like the ABM because it allows me to make odd flavors one loaf at a
a time and with very little clean up. Towards the end of the last
knead add a half cup each of cubed pepperoni and provolone to a pizza
dough.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 20/1/2016 17:34 Jeßus wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 12:50:16 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

>>>Definitely better!

>>>No, not on the one I'm using at least. Put it this way - I didn't seem
>>>to notice it a great deal on the couple of loaves I have done so far.
>>>I think I just cut off that part, <shrug> no biggie for me. The chooks
>>>can have that.
>>>
>>>The third loaf is nearly ready, I'll pay closer attention to the
>>>paddle hole when it comes out this time.

>> Meh... it's just a 1" hole in the middle of the last 1-2" of the loaf.
>> I can live with that

>I've been thinking of getting one again, just to do the kneading. I
>don't like the sticky, messy part.

Why not let it bake, the kneading and rising cycles use the most
time, baking is only another 40 minutes or so... and since it can only
knead dough enough for one loaf at a time I don't see your point.