Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT Bothered by a boat

A while back, this came up and I couldn't believe that anyone could be
bothered by a neighbor's boat. I mean... The people who just moved in next
door have one. It is covered. Two doors down, the elderly dad has one. He
built a little cover for it. No problem. Do not bother me at all.

But today, I went to get the mail and was like... Say what? What is that
giant thing in the driveway next door? And it is a boat. Not just any boat
but a boat that takes up the entire driveway and is taller than my house. I
hope it is not going to stay there. Because they have company a lot and
they have a lot of their own vehicles. Each parent has a vehicle. He has
one for his work. And he has a very large trailer, also for his work. And
he has parked said trailer in front of our house so that one of us has to
find someplace else to park our vehicle. Our driveway will hold two cars
but we have three. They also have two older kids who will be driving soon
and may have their own vehicles.

I also do find this boat to be a real eyesore. I don't know a thing about
boats but it is truly butt ugly. And when daughter came home, she flew into
the kitchen excitedly, asking me if I had seen it because she knew that I
wouldn't like it.

So... Yes. I am now bothered by a boat. I didn't think it would happen.
But it did.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 17:34:27 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>A while back, this came up and I couldn't believe that anyone could be
>bothered by a neighbor's boat. I mean... The people who just moved in next
>door have one. It is covered. Two doors down, the elderly dad has one. He
>built a little cover for it. No problem. Do not bother me at all.
>
>But today, I went to get the mail and was like... Say what? What is that
>giant thing in the driveway next door? And it is a boat. Not just any boat
>but a boat that takes up the entire driveway and is taller than my house. I
>hope it is not going to stay there. Because they have company a lot and
>they have a lot of their own vehicles. Each parent has a vehicle. He has
>one for his work. And he has a very large trailer, also for his work. And
>he has parked said trailer in front of our house so that one of us has to
>find someplace else to park our vehicle. Our driveway will hold two cars
>but we have three. They also have two older kids who will be driving soon
>and may have their own vehicles.
>
>I also do find this boat to be a real eyesore. I don't know a thing about
>boats but it is truly butt ugly. And when daughter came home, she flew into
>the kitchen excitedly, asking me if I had seen it because she knew that I
>wouldn't like it.
>
>So... Yes. I am now bothered by a boat. I didn't think it would happen.
>But it did.

Is the big bad boat dissapear yet?

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 7:34:38 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

> And
> he has parked said trailer in front of our house so that one of us has to
> find someplace else to park our vehicle. Our driveway will hold two cars
> but we have three. They also have two older kids who will be driving soon
> and may have their own vehicles.

Ask him to move the trailer as he's taking up YOUR parking space.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 17:34:27 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>
> So... Yes. I am now bothered by a boat. I didn't think it would happen.
> But it did.

I understand.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joan and Julie, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you are talking
about parking on the street in front of your house, that space is not "yours."
It is public. Given no other restrictions by the city on that section of street,
anyone can park there.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 8:27:38 PM UTC-5, Nancy2 wrote:

> Joan and Julie, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you are talking
> about parking on the street in front of your house, that space is not "yours."
> It is public. Given no other restrictions by the city on that section of street,
> anyone can park there.
>
> N.

That's true, but I'd ask just the same.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
news
> On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 17:34:27 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>A while back, this came up and I couldn't believe that anyone could be
>>bothered by a neighbor's boat. I mean... The people who just moved in
>>next
>>door have one. It is covered. Two doors down, the elderly dad has one.
>>He
>>built a little cover for it. No problem. Do not bother me at all.
>>
>>But today, I went to get the mail and was like... Say what? What is that
>>giant thing in the driveway next door? And it is a boat. Not just any
>>boat
>>but a boat that takes up the entire driveway and is taller than my house.
>>hope it is not going to stay there. Because they have company a lot and
>>they have a lot of their own vehicles. Each parent has a vehicle. He has
>>one for his work. And he has a very large trailer, also for his work.
>>And
>>he has parked said trailer in front of our house so that one of us has to
>>find someplace else to park our vehicle. Our driveway will hold two cars
>>but we have three. They also have two older kids who will be driving soon
>>and may have their own vehicles.
>>
>>I also do find this boat to be a real eyesore. I don't know a thing about
>>boats but it is truly butt ugly. And when daughter came home, she flew
>>into
>>the kitchen excitedly, asking me if I had seen it because she knew that I
>>wouldn't like it.
>>
>>So... Yes. I am now bothered by a boat. I didn't think it would happen.
>>But it did.

> Is the big bad boat dissapear yet?
>
> John Kuthe...

It's still there. Thing is, they don't even live in this house yet. I
don't think I want to imagine how many vehicles might be there at one time
when they do move in. Guy is working around the clock though. Hopefully
they will move in soon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 7:34:38 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> And
>> he has parked said trailer in front of our house so that one of us has to
>> find someplace else to park our vehicle. Our driveway will hold two cars
>> but we have three. They also have two older kids who will be driving
>> soon
>> and may have their own vehicles.
>>

> Ask him to move the trailer as he's taking up YOUR parking space.

There is no parking space. We have houses. He is just parking in front of
ours. I don't think he's violating a law or anything. And it's not
possible for him to park in front of his house as his yard is too small.
Not the trailer anyway. A small car will fit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
> Joan and Julie, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you are
> talking
> about parking on the street in front of your house, that space is not
> "yours."
> It is public. Given no other restrictions by the city on that section of
> street,
> anyone can park there.

I know that. That's why I am not happy that he put the boat in the
driveway. That's where he normally puts the trailer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 8:27:38 PM UTC-5, Nancy2 wrote:
>>
>> Joan and Julie, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you are
>> talking
>> about parking on the street in front of your house, that space is not
>> "yours."
>> It is public. Given no other restrictions by the city on that section of
>> street,
>> anyone can park there.
>>
>> N.
>>

> That's true, but I'd ask just the same.

Not this guy. He already told me that I have to move the fence. My
contractor says otherwise. And I think he was the one putting the extra
trash and yard waste with mine. I notice that he is putting out cans now.
Not a trash can but recycle and yard waste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie, just call your municipal code office, or the streets guy. They can
tell you right away if there is any restriction. If the boat is as big as you
say, it probably violates something.
However, the owner who hasn't moved in yet may just have moved it there
early to get the move done, and as soon as he finds a marina, he will
move it again. Or not. Good luck. It is never easy dealing with a
nuisance neighbor.
My next door neighbor has about five cars at his house, and they always annoy
me with parking their cars not close to their own driveway, but within inches of my
driveway. I am sure it is so they have easier access to their own drive, but it isn't
very thoughtful. It is, however, not enough of an irritation for me to confront him.
There may be bigger issues later in his residency, and some of the cars belong to
his kids who are in school, and they will eventually move on.

N.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 20:06:50 -0500, John Kuthe >
wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 17:34:27 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>
>>A while back, this came up and I couldn't believe that anyone could be
>>bothered by a neighbor's boat. I mean... The people who just moved in next
>>door have one. It is covered. Two doors down, the elderly dad has one. He
>>built a little cover for it. No problem. Do not bother me at all.
>>
>>But today, I went to get the mail and was like... Say what? What is that
>>giant thing in the driveway next door? And it is a boat. Not just any boat
>>but a boat that takes up the entire driveway and is taller than my house. I
>>hope it is not going to stay there. Because they have company a lot and
>>they have a lot of their own vehicles. Each parent has a vehicle. He has
>>one for his work. And he has a very large trailer, also for his work. And
>>he has parked said trailer in front of our house so that one of us has to
>>find someplace else to park our vehicle. Our driveway will hold two cars
>>but we have three. They also have two older kids who will be driving soon
>>and may have their own vehicles.
>>
>>I also do find this boat to be a real eyesore. I don't know a thing about
>>boats but it is truly butt ugly. And when daughter came home, she flew into
>>the kitchen excitedly, asking me if I had seen it because she knew that I
>>wouldn't like it.
>>
>>So... Yes. I am now bothered by a boat. I didn't think it would happen.
>>But it did.

>Is the big bad boat dissapear yet?
>
>John Kuthe...

LOL...this would not happen in my daughter's gated community with
neighborhood association. If any vehicle is parked anywhere in her
yard, front or back, in the street in front of the house...and it sits
there more than six (6) hours, the neighborhood association will have
it towed away and impounded. To buy a house in this neighborhood, you
must sign an oath that you will be extremely anal throughout the
duration of your home ownership.

(or you could say you would never be bound by a neighborhood
association...like me)

William

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 7:34:38 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> A while back, this came up and I couldn't believe that anyone could be
> bothered by a neighbor's boat. I mean... The people who just moved in next
> door have one. It is covered. Two doors down, the elderly dad has one. He
> built a little cover for it. No problem. Do not bother me at all.
>
> But today, I went to get the mail and was like... Say what? What is that
> giant thing in the driveway next door? And it is a boat. Not just any boat
> but a boat that takes up the entire driveway and is taller than my house. I
> hope it is not going to stay there. Because they have company a lot and
> they have a lot of their own vehicles. Each parent has a vehicle. He has
> one for his work. And he has a very large trailer, also for his work. And
> he has parked said trailer in front of our house so that one of us has to
> find someplace else to park our vehicle. Our driveway will hold two cars
> but we have three. They also have two older kids who will be driving soon
> and may have their own vehicles.
>
> I also do find this boat to be a real eyesore. I don't know a thing about
> boats but it is truly butt ugly. And when daughter came home, she flew into
> the kitchen excitedly, asking me if I had seen it because she knew that I
> wouldn't like it.
>
> So... Yes. I am now bothered by a boat. I didn't think it would happen..
> But it did.

If your neighborhood has an HOA , contact them, there are probably rues that cover that sort of thing. Also look in your paperwork you got when you bought your house, they may be covenants that cover this problem. Other than those things I haven ideas, it would drive me crazy too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/21/2015 11:15 AM, rosie wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 7:34:38 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

>> So... Yes. I am now bothered by a boat. I didn't think it would happen.
>> But it did.

> If your neighborhood has an HOA , contact them, there are probably rues
> that cover that sort of thing. Also look in your paperwork you got when
> you bought your house, they may be covenants that cover this problem.
> Other than those things I haven ideas, it would drive me crazy too.

When we first moved here, the neighbor made a point to tell me how
happy she was that the house had gone up for sale and they'd moved
their boat out of the side yard. All she could see when she looked
out the kitchen window was this big boat.

I'm sure that was her way of saying Please be thoughtful and don't
put a boat or an RV there? No worries, if I had either I'd park it
elsewhere.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 10:06:07 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

> He already told me that I have to move the fence. My
> contractor says otherwise.

Why did he tell you that YOU have to move your fence?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> It's illegal to

....stalk women like YOU do?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> Bothell Municipal Code:

**** off and quit stalking her, bully.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 10:06:07 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> He already told me that I have to move the fence. My
>> contractor says otherwise.
>>

> Why did he tell you that YOU have to move your fence?

I won't get into the whole conversation but we were talking to the guy on
the other side of him about fences. Our fences are old and in need of
repair or replacement. I then apologized to him for not repairing the fence
between our properties but added that my gardener had been going to do it
but that it kept being knocked down. So he told me there was no point in
doing the repairs until the neighbor was done with his construction. The
construction has been going on for years.

So the neighbor says something like... I was meaning to talk to you about
this! I had a survey done and discovered that the fence is not on the
property line. Some is on yours and some is on mine and I want it put
right. So when you have the new fence put up, have it put right and I will
pay for half. He also asked how it was getting knocked down. Granted, some
of it was knocked down by the guy who lived there before but he and his
workers did some knocking down too.

But bottom line... I never said a thing about building a new fence. I
merely said that I would repair. And my contractor that I am going to hire
for something else said that if the fence has been there for 7 years or
more, it can stay where it is. If I do what he wants, it will likely
involve my having to rip out some trees and the play structure. I am
actually going to have the play structure taken out as we don't need it and
it's getting decrepit but... That's by my choice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
> Julie, just call your municipal code office, or the streets guy. They can
> tell you right away if there is any restriction. If the boat is as big as
> you
> say, it probably violates something.
> However, the owner who hasn't moved in yet may just have moved it there
> early to get the move done, and as soon as he finds a marina, he will
> move it again. Or not. Good luck. It is never easy dealing with a
> nuisance neighbor.
> My next door neighbor has about five cars at his house, and they always
> annoy
> me with parking their cars not close to their own driveway, but within
> inches of my
> driveway. I am sure it is so they have easier access to their own drive,
> but it isn't
> very thoughtful. It is, however, not enough of an irritation for me to
> confront him.
> There may be bigger issues later in his residency, and some of the cars
> belong to
> his kids who are in school, and they will eventually move on.

I have no clue what those terms mean or if we even have such a thing. We
live in an unincorporated area so things that apply to the city do not apply
to us. I know there are no restrictions on cars. Or so I've been told by
other residents.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"rosie" > wrote in message
On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 7:34:38 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> A while back, this came up and I couldn't believe that anyone could be
> bothered by a neighbor's boat. I mean... The people who just moved in
> next
> door have one. It is covered. Two doors down, the elderly dad has one.
> He
> built a little cover for it. No problem. Do not bother me at all.
>
> But today, I went to get the mail and was like... Say what? What is that
> giant thing in the driveway next door? And it is a boat. Not just any
> boat
> but a boat that takes up the entire driveway and is taller than my house.
> hope it is not going to stay there. Because they have company a lot and
> they have a lot of their own vehicles. Each parent has a vehicle. He has
> one for his work. And he has a very large trailer, also for his work.
> And
> he has parked said trailer in front of our house so that one of us has to
> find someplace else to park our vehicle. Our driveway will hold two cars
> but we have three. They also have two older kids who will be driving soon
> and may have their own vehicles.
>
> I also do find this boat to be a real eyesore. I don't know a thing about
> boats but it is truly butt ugly. And when daughter came home, she flew
> into
> the kitchen excitedly, asking me if I had seen it because she knew that I
> wouldn't like it.
>
> So... Yes. I am now bothered by a boat. I didn't think it would happen.
> But it did.

If your neighborhood has an HOA , contact them, there are probably rues that
cover that sort of thing. Also look in your paperwork you got when you
bought your house, they may be covenants that cover this problem. Other than
those things I haven ideas, it would drive me crazy too.

---

Nope. No HOA. I wouldn't live in such a place.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 17:34:27 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> And he has a very large trailer, also for his work. And
>> he has parked said trailer in front of our house so that one of us has to
>> find someplace else to park our vehicle.

> Bothell Municipal Code: 10.30 MISCELLANEOUS PARKING
>
> 10.30.050 Parking of trailers prohibited.
>
> A. No person shall park a trailer in any alley or upon any city
> street or way open to the public except in an off-street parking
> facility or as otherwise provided in this section.
>
> B. For the purpose of this section the word ´trailer¡ includes boat
> trailer, camping trailer, house trailer, utility trailer or any other
> vehicle or conveyance designed to be connected to and drawn by a motor
> vehicle or dray animal.
>
> In many places boats must be parked behind a fence, and the fence may
> not be closer to the street than house.
>
> ObFood: Lunch is scampi-style shrimp (butter, EVOO, white wine,
> garlic, shallot, and parsley)
>
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwert...ream/lightbox/
>
> -sw

Again, none of that applies to me. I am not in Bothell. I merely have a
Bothell address.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/21/2015 3:29 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> ObFood: Lunch is scampi-style shrimp (butter, EVOO, white wine,
> garlic, shallot, and parsley)
>
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwert...ream/lightbox/
>
> -sw

Don't you know there's no such thing as shrimp scampi? or even "scampi
style"? LOL Looks good to me.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 20:05:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>

> Not this guy. He already told me that I have to move the fence.

So he can squat on your property? That will be a cold day in Hell.
Tell him he's liable for any damage that happens to your fence.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 17:34:27 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> And he has a very large trailer, also for his work. And
>>> he has parked said trailer in front of our house so that one of us
>>> has to
>>> find someplace else to park our vehicle.

>> Bothell Municipal Code: 10.30 MISCELLANEOUS PARKING
>>
>> 10.30.050 Parking of trailers prohibited.
>>
>> A. No person shall park a trailer in any alley or upon any city
>> street or way open to the public except in an off-street parking
>> facility or as otherwise provided in this section.
>>
>> B. For the purpose of this section the word ´trailer¡ includes boat
>> trailer, camping trailer, house trailer, utility trailer or any other
>> vehicle or conveyance designed to be connected to and drawn by a motor
>> vehicle or dray animal.
>>
>> In many places boats must be parked behind a fence, and the fence may
>> not be closer to the street than house.
>>
>> ObFood: Lunch is scampi-style shrimp (butter, EVOO, white wine,
>> garlic, shallot, and parsley)
>>
>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwert...ream/lightbox/
>>

>> -sw

> Again, none of that applies to me. I am not in Bothell. I merely have
> a Bothell address.

\|||/
(o o)
,---ooO--(_)--------.
| |
| Please don't |
|feed the Sqwerty & |
| Marty TROLLS! |
| |
`-------------ooO---'
|__|__|
|| ||
ooO Ooo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-10-21, jmcquown > wrote:

> On 10/21/2015 3:29 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

>> ObFood: Lunch is scampi-style shrimp (butter, EVOO, white wine,
>> garlic, shallot, and parsley)

> Don't you know there's no such thing as shrimp scampi? or even "scampi
> style"? LOL Looks good to me.

I know this has been hashed over a gazillion times on rfc. Who cares!
It's about food.

I gotta go with squeezy on this one. Butter and/or EVOO, wht wine,
garlic, shallot(opt), and parsley. What!? No lemon juice?

Don't forget a big ol' loaf of buttered SF Sourdough bread to sop up
that "scampi" juice.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 20:05:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>>

>> Not this guy. He already told me that I have to move the fence.

> So he can squat on your property? That will be a cold day in Hell.
> Tell him he's liable for any damage that happens to your fence.

I don't really care about the fence. It would only be a matter of feet one
way or the other. He is saying that some is on my property, some is on his.
Oh well. I assume they did that to make a straight line.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/21/2015 12:08 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

> I'm sure that was her way of saying Please be thoughtful and don't
> put a boat or an RV there? No worries, if I had either I'd park it
> elsewhere.
>
> nancy

Amazing that people will pay tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars
for a boat but won't pay $100 a month to park it where it is not a
nuisance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/21/2015 7:27 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2015-10-21, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> On 10/21/2015 3:29 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> ObFood: Lunch is scampi-style shrimp (butter, EVOO, white wine,
>>> garlic, shallot, and parsley)

>> Don't you know there's no such thing as shrimp scampi? or even "scampi
>> style"? LOL Looks good to me.

> I know this has been hashed over a gazillion times on rfc. Who cares!
> It's about food.
>
> I gotta go with squeezy on this one. Butter and/or EVOO, wht wine,
> garlic, shallot(opt), and parsley. What!? No lemon juice?
>
> Don't forget a big ol' loaf of buttered SF Sourdough bread to sop up
> that "scampi" juice.
>
> nb

Yeah, what happened to the lemon? As for the bread he served it on our
fav - a bed of rice!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/21/2015 8:29 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 10/21/2015 12:08 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>

>> I'm sure that was her way of saying Please be thoughtful and don't
>> put a boat or an RV there? No worries, if I had either I'd park it
>> elsewhere.

> Amazing that people will pay tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars
> for a boat but won't pay $100 a month to park it where it is not a
> nuisance.

Thank you! My thoughts exactly.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 16:29:55 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 20:05:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >>

> >> Not this guy. He already told me that I have to move the fence.

> > So he can squat on your property? That will be a cold day in Hell.
> > Tell him he's liable for any damage that happens to your fence.

> I don't really care about the fence. It would only be a matter of feet one
> way or the other. He is saying that some is on my property, some is on his.
> Oh well. I assume they did that to make a straight line.

I have a similar arrangement with a neighbor. Visually, part of my
front yard looks like it belongs to her and part of her backyard looks
like it belongs to me. We know where the (crooked) property line is
and we're happy with the arrangement, but new owners of either
property will be wise to call in a surveyor and officially set their
boundaries to avoid confusion.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21 Oct 2015 23:27:38 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> I know this has been hashed over a gazillion times on rfc. Who cares!

Agree. It's shrimp, scampi style... better to say with butter and
garlic.

--

sf