Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Repair of top-button Playmate cooler.

I could not find any description of the problem or a solution, so I thought
I would post my experience here. I am not cool enough to create an
Instructable. It is on topic because we bring raw food home in a cooler,
and take cooked food to friends and picnics in coolers.

The problem is that the lid will suddenly swing open, especially when
carrying the top-button Playmate cooler. The root cause is a spring
that has lost its zing.

Carrying produce back from the farmers' market when the lid suddenly
swings open and dumps its contents on the ground is intolerable.

The lid is held closed by an L-shaped lever that sticks a rectangular
tab into a vertical groove on one end of the cooler -- the end adjacent
to the push-button. The lever is kept in place by a compression spring
between this lever and the lid. The spring fits over a pin on the
closure lever and fits into a pocket mounted on the lid itself.

When the push-button is depressed, it pushes against the bottom of
the L-lever, compressing the spring, which makes the rectangular tab
recede from the groove, allowing the lid to rotate open.

When the push-button is released, when the lid is rotated back to
vertical the spring presses against the L which forces the tab back
into the groove.

When the spring has lost its zing, the weight of food in the
cooler will let the lid open.

To replace the spring, you must pry off the caps on either side of
the lid, unscrew the screws, and pull off the lid. Then you must
pry up and rip off the part of the lid foam that covers the mechanism.

From inside, squeeze the sides of the push-button nearest the end of the
lid, push in, and pull out the push button. Then remove the lever and
take the spring to a hardware store. You want the same diameter spring
(so that it will fit over the pin) with a little more oomph. I was
able to find a spring slightly longer, with a slightly smaller inside
diameter, that I was still able to twist on the pin with the help of
pliers.

Then I replaced the L-lever,with the spring between lever pin and
lid pocket. While holding this in place, I reseated the push-button,
first at the lid end and then at the far end.

Screwing the lid back in place and popping the endcaps back on, I
tried it out. It appears to be secure, but I will have to verify
in actual use.

If this does the trick, I will glue the piece of lid foam I broke off
with Great Stuff polyurethane foam.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>I could not find any description of the problem or a solution, so I thought
> I would post my experience here. I am not cool enough to create an
> Instructable. It is on topic because we bring raw food home in a cooler,
> and take cooked food to friends and picnics in coolers.
>
> The problem is that the lid will suddenly swing open, especially when
> carrying the top-button Playmate cooler. The root cause is a spring
> that has lost its zing.
>
> Carrying produce back from the farmers' market when the lid suddenly
> swings open and dumps its contents on the ground is intolerable.
>
> The lid is held closed by an L-shaped lever that sticks a rectangular
> tab into a vertical groove on one end of the cooler -- the end adjacent
> to the push-button. The lever is kept in place by a compression spring
> between this lever and the lid. The spring fits over a pin on the
> closure lever and fits into a pocket mounted on the lid itself.
>
> When the push-button is depressed, it pushes against the bottom of
> the L-lever, compressing the spring, which makes the rectangular tab
> recede from the groove, allowing the lid to rotate open.
>
> When the push-button is released, when the lid is rotated back to
> vertical the spring presses against the L which forces the tab back
> into the groove.
>
> When the spring has lost its zing, the weight of food in the
> cooler will let the lid open.
>
> To replace the spring, you must pry off the caps on either side of
> the lid, unscrew the screws, and pull off the lid. Then you must
> pry up and rip off the part of the lid foam that covers the mechanism.
>
> From inside, squeeze the sides of the push-button nearest the end of the
> lid, push in, and pull out the push button. Then remove the lever and
> take the spring to a hardware store. You want the same diameter spring
> (so that it will fit over the pin) with a little more oomph. I was
> able to find a spring slightly longer, with a slightly smaller inside
> diameter, that I was still able to twist on the pin with the help of
> pliers.
>
> Then I replaced the L-lever,with the spring between lever pin and
> lid pocket. While holding this in place, I reseated the push-button,
> first at the lid end and then at the far end.
>
> Screwing the lid back in place and popping the endcaps back on, I
> tried it out. It appears to be secure, but I will have to verify
> in actual use.
>
> If this does the trick, I will glue the piece of lid foam I broke off
> with Great Stuff polyurethane foam.

Why don't you just buy a new one? They're cheap, especially this time of
the year. Most places have them on clearance. They're not meant to be
repaired. Do they even make that kind any more? I think I had one years
ago. No longer have it. I mostly use soft sided bags now as they take up
less room.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 20:23:26 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
>>I could not find any description of the problem or a solution, so I thought
>> I would post my experience here. I am not cool enough to create an
>> Instructable. It is on topic because we bring raw food home in a cooler,
>> and take cooked food to friends and picnics in coolers.
>>
>> The problem is that the lid will suddenly swing open, especially when
>> carrying the top-button Playmate cooler. The root cause is a spring
>> that has lost its zing.
>>
>> Carrying produce back from the farmers' market when the lid suddenly
>> swings open and dumps its contents on the ground is intolerable.
>>
>> The lid is held closed by an L-shaped lever that sticks a rectangular
>> tab into a vertical groove on one end of the cooler -- the end adjacent
>> to the push-button. The lever is kept in place by a compression spring
>> between this lever and the lid. The spring fits over a pin on the
>> closure lever and fits into a pocket mounted on the lid itself.
>>
>> When the push-button is depressed, it pushes against the bottom of
>> the L-lever, compressing the spring, which makes the rectangular tab
>> recede from the groove, allowing the lid to rotate open.
>>
>> When the push-button is released, when the lid is rotated back to
>> vertical the spring presses against the L which forces the tab back
>> into the groove.
>>
>> When the spring has lost its zing, the weight of food in the
>> cooler will let the lid open.
>>
>> To replace the spring, you must pry off the caps on either side of
>> the lid, unscrew the screws, and pull off the lid. Then you must
>> pry up and rip off the part of the lid foam that covers the mechanism.
>>
>> From inside, squeeze the sides of the push-button nearest the end of the
>> lid, push in, and pull out the push button. Then remove the lever and
>> take the spring to a hardware store. You want the same diameter spring
>> (so that it will fit over the pin) with a little more oomph. I was
>> able to find a spring slightly longer, with a slightly smaller inside
>> diameter, that I was still able to twist on the pin with the help of
>> pliers.
>>
>> Then I replaced the L-lever,with the spring between lever pin and
>> lid pocket. While holding this in place, I reseated the push-button,
>> first at the lid end and then at the far end.
>>
>> Screwing the lid back in place and popping the endcaps back on, I
>> tried it out. It appears to be secure, but I will have to verify
>> in actual use.
>>
>> If this does the trick, I will glue the piece of lid foam I broke off
>> with Great Stuff polyurethane foam.

>Why don't you just buy a new one? They're cheap, especially this time of
>the year. Most places have them on clearance. They're not meant to be
>repaired. Do they even make that kind any more? I think I had one years
>ago. No longer have it. I mostly use soft sided bags now as they take up
>less room.

Yep, we live in a disposable world anymore. Pretty disgusting! :-(

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 20, 2015 at 8:30:26 PM UTC-7, John Kuthe wrote:
> [...]
> >>
> >> Then I replaced the L-lever,with the spring between lever pin and
> >> lid pocket. While holding this in place, I reseated the push-button,
> >> first at the lid end and then at the far end.
> >>
> >> Screwing the lid back in place and popping the endcaps back on, I
> >> tried it out. It appears to be secure, but I will have to verify
> >> in actual use.
> >>
> >> If this does the trick, I will glue the piece of lid foam I broke off
> >> with Great Stuff polyurethane foam.

> >Why don't you just buy a new one? They're cheap, especially this time of
> >the year. Most places have them on clearance. They're not meant to be
> >repaired. Do they even make that kind any more? I think I had one years
> >ago. No longer have it. I mostly use soft sided bags now as they take up
> >less room.

> Yep, we live in a disposable world anymore. Pretty disgusting! :-(

Igloo makes and sells replacement parts for its other coolers, which
I have used to keep otherwise perfectly good coolers out of the landfill,
at a fraction of the price of a new one. Try West Marine for hinges,
clasps, and drain plugs for their larger coolers.

In fact, they sell replacement springs for their other model Playmate,
online. This persuaded me that there must be a way to repair it, if
I could only take it apart.

If I can keep a useful item going for only 75 cents plus a squirt of
glue, I will.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in
:

> I could not find any description of the problem or a solution, so I
> thought I would post my experience here. I am not cool enough to
> create an Instructable. It is on topic because we bring raw food home
> in a cooler, and take cooked food to friends and picnics in coolers.
>
> The problem is that the lid will suddenly swing open, especially when
> carrying the top-button Playmate cooler. The root cause is a spring
> that has lost its zing.
>
> Carrying produce back from the farmers' market when the lid suddenly
> swings open and dumps its contents on the ground is intolerable.
>
> The lid is held closed by an L-shaped lever that sticks a rectangular
> tab into a vertical groove on one end of the cooler -- the end
> adjacent to the push-button. The lever is kept in place by a
> compression spring between this lever and the lid. The spring fits
> over a pin on the closure lever and fits into a pocket mounted on the
> lid itself.
>
> When the push-button is depressed, it pushes against the bottom of
> the L-lever, compressing the spring, which makes the rectangular tab
> recede from the groove, allowing the lid to rotate open.
>
> When the push-button is released, when the lid is rotated back to
> vertical the spring presses against the L which forces the tab back
> into the groove.
>
> When the spring has lost its zing, the weight of food in the
> cooler will let the lid open.
>
> To replace the spring, you must pry off the caps on either side of
> the lid, unscrew the screws, and pull off the lid. Then you must
> pry up and rip off the part of the lid foam that covers the mechanism.
>
> From inside, squeeze the sides of the push-button nearest the end of
> the lid, push in, and pull out the push button. Then remove the lever
> and take the spring to a hardware store. You want the same diameter
> spring (so that it will fit over the pin) with a little more oomph. I
> was able to find a spring slightly longer, with a slightly smaller
> inside diameter, that I was still able to twist on the pin with the
> help of pliers.
>
> Then I replaced the L-lever,with the spring between lever pin and
> lid pocket. While holding this in place, I reseated the push-button,
> first at the lid end and then at the far end.
>
> Screwing the lid back in place and popping the endcaps back on, I
> tried it out. It appears to be secure, but I will have to verify
> in actual use.
>
> If this does the trick, I will glue the piece of lid foam I broke off
> with Great Stuff polyurethane foam.

If your repair is not successful and you don't get a fix here you might
try the

alt.home.repair

user group. It is well populated and has some quite clever people there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 21:39:34 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

>On Sunday, September 20, 2015 at 8:30:26 PM UTC-7, John Kuthe wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 20:23:26 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>> >Why don't you just buy a new one? They're cheap, especially this time of
>> >the year. Most places have them on clearance. They're not meant to be
>> >repaired. Do they even make that kind any more? I think I had one years
>> >ago. No longer have it. I mostly use soft sided bags now as they take up
>> >less room.

>> Yep, we live in a disposable world anymore. Pretty disgusting! :-(
>>

>Igloo makes and sells replacement parts for its other coolers, which
>I have used to keep otherwise perfectly good coolers out of the landfill,
>at a fraction of the price of a new one. Try West Marine for hinges,
>clasps, and drain plugs for their larger coolers.
>
>In fact, they sell replacement springs for their other model Playmate,
>online. This persuaded me that there must be a way to repair it, if
>I could only take it apart.
>
>If I can keep a useful item going for only 75 cents plus a squirt of
>glue, I will.

Cheap Chinese JUNK coolers (which they almost all are today) has no
interest in piddling around selling you replacement parts. They want
you to chuck the whole thing and BUY a new one, increasing their
profits considerably!! We ought to ship all the slightly used and now
BROKEN cheap Chinese JUNK products right back to China and have them
put them all in THEIR landfills, which are becoming a huge ecological
disaster already anyway!!

The Sleeping Giant has awoken, and is TRASHING THE PLANET!!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 21, 2015 at 10:11:55 AM UTC-7, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 21:39:34 -0700 (PDT),
> wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, September 20, 2015 at 8:30:26 PM UTC-7, John Kuthe wrote:
> >> On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 20:23:26 -0700, "Julie Bove"

> >> Yep, we live in a disposable world anymore. Pretty disgusting! :-(
> >>

> >Igloo makes and sells replacement parts for its other coolers, which
> >I have used to keep otherwise perfectly good coolers out of the landfill,
> >at a fraction of the price of a new one. Try West Marine for hinges,
> >clasps, and drain plugs for their larger coolers.
> >
> >In fact, they sell replacement springs for their other model Playmate,
> >online. This persuaded me that there must be a way to repair it, if
> >I could only take it apart.
> >
> >If I can keep a useful item going for only 75 cents plus a squirt of
> >glue, I will.
> >

> Cheap Chinese JUNK coolers (which they almost all are today) has no
> interest in piddling around selling you replacement parts. They want
> you to chuck the whole thing and BUY a new one, increasing their
> profits considerably!! We ought to ship all the slightly used and now
> BROKEN cheap Chinese JUNK products right back to China and have them
> put them all in THEIR landfills, which are becoming a huge ecological
> disaster already anyway!!
>
> The Sleeping Giant has awoken, and is TRASHING THE PLANET!!

Then you should support Igloo, at least their traditional "ice chest"
coolers, for which they make hinges and other wearout items readily
available.
Here's a list of coolers made in USA:
http://usamadeproducts.biz/outdoor-r...r-coolers.html

Note that only the "Steel-belted" Coleman is made in USA.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 10:41:46 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

>On Monday, September 21, 2015 at 10:11:55 AM UTC-7, John Kuthe wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 21:39:34 -0700 (PDT),

>> wrote:

>> >Igloo makes and sells replacement parts for its other coolers, which
>> >I have used to keep otherwise perfectly good coolers out of the landfill,
>> >at a fraction of the price of a new one. Try West Marine for hinges,
>> >clasps, and drain plugs for their larger coolers.
>> >
>> >In fact, they sell replacement springs for their other model Playmate,
>> >online. This persuaded me that there must be a way to repair it, if
>> >I could only take it apart.
>> >
>> >If I can keep a useful item going for only 75 cents plus a squirt of
>> >glue, I will.
>> >

>> Cheap Chinese JUNK coolers (which they almost all are today) has no
>> interest in piddling around selling you replacement parts. They want
>> you to chuck the whole thing and BUY a new one, increasing their
>> profits considerably!! We ought to ship all the slightly used and now
>> BROKEN cheap Chinese JUNK products right back to China and have them
>> put them all in THEIR landfills, which are becoming a huge ecological
>> disaster already anyway!!
>>
>> The Sleeping Giant has awoken, and is TRASHING THE PLANET!!

>Then you should support Igloo, at least their traditional "ice chest"
>coolers, for which they make hinges and other wearout items readily
>available.
>Here's a list of coolers made in USA:

http://usamadeproducts.biz/outdoor-r...r-coolers.html

>Note that only the "Steel-belted" Coleman is made in USA.

Yep! Lots of corporations are doing that now it seems. Making a few
select and commensurately very hiigh priced items in the USA while
deriving most of their corporate profits off selling cheap Chinese
JUNK! Like I got bit by Keen boots for!!

$200 boots. Made in China!! :-(

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...02&oe=56A00DF2

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > wrote in message
> > I could not find any description of the problem or a solution, so I
> > thought I would post my experience here. I am not cool enough to
> > create an Instructable. It is on topic because we bring raw food
> > home in a cooler, and take cooked food to friends and picnics in
> > coolers.
> >
> > The problem is that the lid will suddenly swing open, especially
> > when carrying the top-button Playmate cooler. The root cause is a
> > spring that has lost its zing.
> >
> > Carrying produce back from the farmers' market when the lid suddenly
> > swings open and dumps its contents on the ground is intolerable.
> >
> > The lid is held closed by an L-shaped lever that sticks a
> > rectangular tab into a vertical groove on one end of the cooler --
> > the end adjacent to the push-button. The lever is kept in place by
> > a compression spring between this lever and the lid. The spring
> > fits over a pin on the closure lever and fits into a pocket mounted
> > on the lid itself.
> >
> > When the push-button is depressed, it pushes against the bottom of
> > the L-lever, compressing the spring, which makes the rectangular tab
> > recede from the groove, allowing the lid to rotate open.
> >
> > When the push-button is released, when the lid is rotated back to
> > vertical the spring presses against the L which forces the tab back
> > into the groove.
> >
> > When the spring has lost its zing, the weight of food in the
> > cooler will let the lid open.
> >
> > To replace the spring, you must pry off the caps on either side of
> > the lid, unscrew the screws, and pull off the lid. Then you must
> > pry up and rip off the part of the lid foam that covers the
> > mechanism.
> >
> > From inside, squeeze the sides of the push-button nearest the end
> > of the lid, push in, and pull out the push button. Then remove the
> > lever and take the spring to a hardware store. You want the same
> > diameter spring (so that it will fit over the pin) with a little
> > more oomph. I was able to find a spring slightly longer, with a
> > slightly smaller inside diameter, that I was still able to twist on
> > the pin with the help of pliers.
> >
> > Then I replaced the L-lever,with the spring between lever pin and
> > lid pocket. While holding this in place, I reseated the push-button,
> > first at the lid end and then at the far end.
> >
> > Screwing the lid back in place and popping the endcaps back on, I
> > tried it out. It appears to be secure, but I will have to verify
> > in actual use.
> >
> > If this does the trick, I will glue the piece of lid foam I broke
> > off with Great Stuff polyurethane foam.

> Why don't you just buy a new one? They're cheap, especially this
> time of the year. Most places have them on clearance. They're not
> meant to be repaired. Do they even make that kind any more? I think
> I had one years ago. No longer have it. I mostly use soft sided
> bags now as they take up less room.

Hi Julie,

A lot of people are getting into keeping things out of landfill and
trying to fix or at least repurpose items to something useful.

Besides, it's fun to tinker!

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> [...]

> on the pin with the help of >> pliers.
> > >
> >> Then I replaced the L-lever,with the spring between lever pin and
> >> lid pocket. While holding this in place, I reseated the

> push-button, >> first at the lid end and then at the far end.
> > >
> >> Screwing the lid back in place and popping the endcaps back on, I
> >> tried it out. It appears to be secure, but I will have to verify
> >> in actual use.
> > >
> >> If this does the trick, I will glue the piece of lid foam I broke

> off >> with Great Stuff polyurethane foam.
> >
> > Why don't you just buy a new one? They're cheap, especially this
> > time of the year. Most places have them on clearance. They're not
> > meant to be repaired. Do they even make that kind any more? I
> > think I had one years ago. No longer have it. I mostly use soft
> > sided bags now as they take up less room.

> Yep, we live in a disposable world anymore. Pretty disgusting! :-(

Some of my favorite repurposing:

- Old blue jean legs with knees ripped out. They are great to use in a
container garden so the dirt doesnt flow out every time you water them.
Organic too. Cut to fit and layer then add fresh dirt as needed. They
last about 5 years. Helps a lot with water retention in a hot climate.

- Asked for used clumping cat litter on Freecycle. It was an easy
solution to set some simple yard pavers on a wet spot. Worked really
well. Not 'cement' but holds them in place nicely. Eventally degrades
harmlessly but I repurpose about a 25lb bag of used clumping litter a
year from someone who has it. Use a little of the 100% clay sort (with
solids filtered out) to help a new fish tank cycle in fishless version.
Works too at planting fish tank live plants.

- Pizza boxes make great dart boards with a spyrogyra and some spray
paint.

- Got 2 5 gallon buckets of crushed walnut shells. You can make pellet
stove wood from this crushed level. We will use it as a kindling
sprinkler. We also save pistachio nut shells for winter fire kindling.
Better for your fireplace for a clean burn.

I just saw an offer of a pretty damaged book shelf. I asked for it and
pick up tomorrow. I will pull the shelves out and nail them along the
back. This will raise a container garden planter nicely for a few
years before it's true landfill.

Could I buy real cement or sand for the pavers? Could I get special
plastic screen for the containers or fire blocks and fresh wood for
container raisers? Of course. I CHOSE to do my little bit so maybe,
my daughers world won't suck too bad when she's my age.
Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 21, 2015 at 4:03:39 PM UTC-7, cshenk wrote:

> - Got 2 5 gallon buckets of crushed walnut shells. You can make pellet
> stove wood from this crushed level. We will use it as a kindling
> sprinkler. We also save pistachio nut shells for winter fire kindling.
> Better for your fireplace for a clean burn.

Another use for nut shells:

Not sure of the texture of your crushed shells, but if they are sharp pieces
of walnut shell they make a nice barrier against snails and slugs getting
in your garden, because they are painful to cross.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 21:36:34 -0500, cshenk wrote:
>
>> Biggest slug I saw? Seattle area. Dang thing was easily 1ft long.

> The maximum size for a Pacific banana slug is about 10". To get any
> bigger you'd have to manually stretch it. Santa Cruz mountains are
> famous for them (as seen in Pulp Fiction). 5-7" are the typical size
> for these things. And I've seen a few hundred in the natural habitat.
>
> They are not very good eating.

First one I ever saw and the biggest was in the Rain Forest. It was lime
sherbet green. Never saw a green one again. I think it was about a foot
long.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/24/2015 10:01 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> They are not very good eating.
>
> -sw

Bugger off, virus.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/24/2015 10:16 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 21:36:34 -0500, cshenk wrote:
>>
>>> Biggest slug I saw? Seattle area. Dang thing was easily 1ft long.

>> The maximum size for a Pacific banana slug is about 10". To get any
>> bigger you'd have to manually stretch it. Santa Cruz mountains are
>> famous for them (as seen in Pulp Fiction). 5-7" are the typical size
>> for these things. And I've seen a few hundred in the natural habitat.
>>
>> They are not very good eating.

> First one I ever saw and the biggest was in the Rain Forest. It was
> lime sherbet green. Never saw a green one again. I think it was about
> a foot long.

Why are you replying to your stalker?

Do you _enjoy_ being publicly mocked by him?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/20/2015 11:23 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
>> I could not find any description of the problem or a solution, so I
>> thought
>> I would post my experience here. I am not cool enough to create an
>> Instructable. It is on topic because we bring raw food home in a cooler,
>> and take cooked food to friends and picnics in coolers.
>>
>> The problem is that the lid will suddenly swing open, especially when
>> carrying the top-button Playmate cooler. The root cause is a spring
>> that has lost its zing.
>>
>> Carrying produce back from the farmers' market when the lid suddenly
>> swings open and dumps its contents on the ground is intolerable.

> Why don't you just buy a new one? They're cheap, especially this time
> of the year. Most places have them on clearance. They're not meant to
> be repaired. Do they even make that kind any more? I think I had one
> years ago. No longer have it. I mostly use soft sided bags now as they
> take up less room.

Seems I sided with Julie on this one. Then again, I don't haul food
around in coolers. I have an Igloo cooler such as described. I've
never used it for much of anything except during power outages to hold
some perishable items on ice. I've never had to think about repairing
vs. "landfilling" it.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 2:23:23 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

> I don't haul food
> around in coolers. I have an Igloo cooler such as described.
>
> Jill

I've got an Igloo Playmate cooler like the one described
in this thread. Sometimes I take it with me when I'm out
for the day in the summer and I know I'll be grocery shopping.
I'll put 3 or 4 of those reusable frozen 'blue ice packs' in
it and when I buy meat it will get tossed into the cooler
with those ice packs on top. If I'm not heading right home
after shopping then no worry about meat spoilage.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 10:07:08 PM UTC-7, wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 2:23:23 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > I don't haul food
> > around in coolers. I have an Igloo cooler such as described.
> >
> > Jill
> >

> I've got an Igloo Playmate cooler like the one described
> in this thread. Sometimes I take it with me when I'm out
> for the day in the summer and I know I'll be grocery shopping.
> I'll put 3 or 4 of those reusable frozen 'blue ice packs' in
> it and when I buy meat it will get tossed into the cooler
> with those ice packs on top. If I'm not heading right home
> after shopping then no worry about meat spoilage.

Fresh salad greens do not do well in a car baking in the summer heat
We will often stop on the way home from the market to get milk
and half and half. Or even run into a hardware store. We no longer have
to worry about hurrying home.

Farmers markets by us also sell gourmet sausages, fresh cut meats, fresh
caught fish, artisanal cheeses, etc. There are three or four great
sausage shops between a half hour and an hour drive away. Or we could
drive out in the country for the artisanal cheeses.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 10:07:08 PM UTC-7,
> wrote:
>> On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 2:23:23 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
>> >
>> > I don't haul food
>> > around in coolers. I have an Igloo cooler such as described.
>> >
>> > Jill
>> >

>> I've got an Igloo Playmate cooler like the one described
>> in this thread. Sometimes I take it with me when I'm out
>> for the day in the summer and I know I'll be grocery shopping.
>> I'll put 3 or 4 of those reusable frozen 'blue ice packs' in
>> it and when I buy meat it will get tossed into the cooler
>> with those ice packs on top. If I'm not heading right home
>> after shopping then no worry about meat spoilage.

> Fresh salad greens do not do well in a car baking in the summer heat
> We will often stop on the way home from the market to get milk
> and half and half. Or even run into a hardware store. We no longer have
> to worry about hurrying home.
>
> Farmers markets by us also sell gourmet sausages, fresh cut meats, fresh
> caught fish, artisanal cheeses, etc. There are three or four great
> sausage shops between a half hour and an hour drive away. Or we could
> drive out in the country for the artisanal cheeses.

This is what we have. It can be a freezer or a fridge and can plug into the
car.

http://www.mgdonline.co.uk/products/...eeze_cf_40.php

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 23:04:52 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 10:07:08 PM UTC-7, wrote:
>> On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 2:23:23 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
>> >
>> > I don't haul food
>> > around in coolers. I have an Igloo cooler such as described.
>> >
>> > Jill
>> >

>> I've got an Igloo Playmate cooler like the one described
>> in this thread. Sometimes I take it with me when I'm out
>> for the day in the summer and I know I'll be grocery shopping.
>> I'll put 3 or 4 of those reusable frozen 'blue ice packs' in
>> it and when I buy meat it will get tossed into the cooler
>> with those ice packs on top. If I'm not heading right home
>> after shopping then no worry about meat spoilage.

>Fresh salad greens do not do well in a car baking in the summer heat
>We will often stop on the way home from the market to get milk
>and half and half. Or even run into a hardware store. We no longer have
>to worry about hurrying home.
>
>Farmers markets by us also sell gourmet sausages, fresh cut meats, fresh
>caught fish, artisanal cheeses, etc. There are three or four great
>sausage shops between a half hour and an hour drive away. Or we could
>drive out in the country for the artisanal cheeses.

We've a California cooler or two, and a couple of the large
well-insulated bags that Costco sells.

When we head off for errands or short road trips on the weekend, we
shove a bunch of blue ice in one of them, then use the coolers to keep
things fresh as we go on our food runs. Never know what we'll find
along the way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Igloo also makes a Refrigerator you can plug into the cigarette
lighter...

http://www.igloo-store.com/detail/IGL+ICELESS+40C

William
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:

> When we head off for errands or short road trips on the weekend, we
> shove a bunch of blue ice in one of them, then use the coolers to keep
> things fresh as we go on our food runs. Never know what we'll find
> along the way.

I've never needed that. Maybe I'm lucky. I grocery shop one store
mainly but if I go to another, I'll drop off things before heading to
the other one. Regardless, my 2 stores are 0.8 miles away and 1.3
miles away. If I want to stop at other stores, it's a separate trip.
No worries for my cold food getting warm. When I leave a grocery
store, I'm home in 5 minutes.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> The farmer's
> market here is UNimpressive (and it moves around from town to town every
> two hours on Saturday - ooops, missed it!).

What? That's very strange. :-o
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 07:34:45 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>>
>> When we head off for errands or short road trips on the weekend, we
>> shove a bunch of blue ice in one of them, then use the coolers to keep
>> things fresh as we go on our food runs. Never know what we'll find
>> along the way.

>I've never needed that. Maybe I'm lucky. I grocery shop one store
>mainly but if I go to another, I'll drop off things before heading to
>the other one. Regardless, my 2 stores are 0.8 miles away and 1.3
>miles away. If I want to stop at other stores, it's a separate trip.
>No worries for my cold food getting warm. When I leave a grocery
>store, I'm home in 5 minutes.
>
>G.

We hit the road often on the weekend, sometimes traveling up to 2 hrs
away on what I call "food runs" as part of whatever else our trip is
about. We are liable to be all over the place all day.

An example of it in the extreme...we attended a wedding in Michigan in
late June and our hotel had a full sized fridge with a freezer. We hit
Zingermans and bought about 10 different kinds of breads and rolls,
which they put into bags with twist ties for us. We froze them back at
the hotel, and placed them into coolers/insulated bags before our 11
hr drive home. The loaves (along with a few other lovely food items
from other Michigan favorites) arrived home in pristine condition.

No matter where we go, we check out the area for niche or ethnic or
specialty markets and the coolers just let us do this as part of
whatever errands or visiting we are doing.

My plain vanilla markets are between 5-15 mins away, but even on a hot
day, I may not be going from A to B and back, so I have the cooler for
"just in case."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 10:07:08 PM UTC-7, wrote:
> > On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 2:23:23 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't haul food
> > > around in coolers. I have an Igloo cooler such as described.
> > >
> > > Jill
> > >

> > I've got an Igloo Playmate cooler like the one described
> > in this thread. Sometimes I take it with me when I'm out
> > for the day in the summer and I know I'll be grocery shopping.
> > I'll put 3 or 4 of those reusable frozen 'blue ice packs' in
> > it and when I buy meat it will get tossed into the cooler
> > with those ice packs on top. If I'm not heading right home
> > after shopping then no worry about meat spoilage.

We live in a cool climate, but *invariably* take insulated zipped
coolbags to the smkt for anything that's sold frozen, chilled or
refrigerated. I keep frozen-blocks in the freezer and if it's going to
be a long time before we get home I pack them in the coolbag.

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/7/2015 8:29 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> The farmer's
>> market here is UNimpressive (and it moves around from town to town every
>> two hours on Saturday - ooops, missed it!).

> What? That's very strange. :-o

Sure sounded strange to me. When I first moved here I looked up
Farmer's Markets in the area and that's what the site said. I even sent
an email clarifying, what, it moves around? I was told yes.

I just looked it up again. Things have changed!

http://portroyalfarmersmarket.com/

Wow! Beef, cheese, seafood, honey. I might actually have to check it
out. It's still only open for three hours, though. 9AM-Noon on
Saturday. Sometimes I'm not in the mood to go shopping that early on a
Saturday. Not their problem.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 7, 2015 at 9:59:58 AM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
> On 10/7/2015 8:29 AM, Gary wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:
> >>
> >> The farmer's
> >> market here is UNimpressive (and it moves around from town to town every
> >> two hours on Saturday - ooops, missed it!).

> > What? That's very strange. :-o
> >

> Sure sounded strange to me. When I first moved here I looked up
> Farmer's Markets in the area and that's what the site said. I even sent
> an email clarifying, what, it moves around? I was told yes.
>
> I just looked it up again. Things have changed!
>
> http://portroyalfarmersmarket.com/
>
> Wow! Beef, cheese, seafood, honey. I might actually have to check it
> out. It's still only open for three hours, though. 9AM-Noon on
> Saturday. Sometimes I'm not in the mood to go shopping that early on a
> Saturday. Not their problem.

Boy, people sure are different. I'd shop Costco more if they opened
at 6 am on Saturdays. By the time they open at 9:30, I'm knee-deep
in some project or other. Plus, everybody else is up by that point,
and I don't want to shop with a crowd.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 7, 2015 at 1:42:49 AM UTC-7, Ophelia wrote:
> > wrote in message
> > On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 10:07:08 PM UTC-7,
> > wrote:

> >> I've got an Igloo Playmate cooler like the one described
> >> in this thread. Sometimes I take it with me when I'm out
> >> for the day in the summer and I know I'll be grocery shopping.
> >> I'll put 3 or 4 of those reusable frozen 'blue ice packs' in
> >> it and when I buy meat it will get tossed into the cooler
> >> with those ice packs on top. If I'm not heading right home
> >> after shopping then no worry about meat spoilage.

> > Fresh salad greens do not do well in a car baking in the summer heat
> > We will often stop on the way home from the market to get milk
> > and half and half. Or even run into a hardware store. We no longer have
> > to worry about hurrying home.
> >
> > Farmers markets by us also sell gourmet sausages, fresh cut meats, fresh
> > caught fish, artisanal cheeses, etc. There are three or four great
> > sausage shops between a half hour and an hour drive away. Or we could
> > drive out in the country for the artisanal cheeses.

> This is what we have. It can be a freezer or a fridge and can plug into the
> car.
>
> http://www.mgdonline.co.uk/products/...eeze_cf_40.php

Looks ideal for car camping!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Boron Elgar wrote:
>>
>> When we head off for errands or short road trips on the weekend, we
>> shove a bunch of blue ice in one of them, then use the coolers to keep
>> things fresh as we go on our food runs. Never know what we'll find
>> along the way.

> I've never needed that. Maybe I'm lucky. I grocery shop one store
> mainly but if I go to another, I'll drop off things before heading to
> the other one. Regardless, my 2 stores are 0.8 miles away and 1.3
> miles away. If I want to stop at other stores, it's a separate trip.
> No worries for my cold food getting warm. When I leave a grocery
> store, I'm home in 5 minutes.

We have to use them if we go to the military commissary as it is too far
away. However, I have quit doing that because for the most part, I can get
more variety and better prices at places like Winco and Coscto. I will use
the blue ice and coolers in hot weather. Both are 6-7 miles from here and
that's at least a half an hour just for the traffic part.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 07:34:45 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>>Boron Elgar wrote:
>>>
>>> When we head off for errands or short road trips on the weekend, we
>>> shove a bunch of blue ice in one of them, then use the coolers to keep
>>> things fresh as we go on our food runs. Never know what we'll find
>>> along the way.

>>I've never needed that. Maybe I'm lucky. I grocery shop one store
>>mainly but if I go to another, I'll drop off things before heading to
>>the other one. Regardless, my 2 stores are 0.8 miles away and 1.3
>>miles away. If I want to stop at other stores, it's a separate trip.
>>No worries for my cold food getting warm. When I leave a grocery
>>store, I'm home in 5 minutes.
>>
>>G.

> We hit the road often on the weekend, sometimes traveling up to 2 hrs
> away on what I call "food runs" as part of whatever else our trip is
> about. We are liable to be all over the place all day.
>
> An example of it in the extreme...we attended a wedding in Michigan in
> late June and our hotel had a full sized fridge with a freezer. We hit
> Zingermans and bought about 10 different kinds of breads and rolls,
> which they put into bags with twist ties for us. We froze them back at
> the hotel, and placed them into coolers/insulated bags before our 11
> hr drive home. The loaves (along with a few other lovely food items
> from other Michigan favorites) arrived home in pristine condition.
>
> No matter where we go, we check out the area for niche or ethnic or
> specialty markets and the coolers just let us do this as part of
> whatever errands or visiting we are doing.
>
> My plain vanilla markets are between 5-15 mins away, but even on a hot
> day, I may not be going from A to B and back, so I have the cooler for
> "just in case."

When we lived in NY, we went to PA at least every third weekend. I would
stock up on groceries there because they were much cheaper. I could keep
things in my MIL's fridge and freezer then put in the cooler for the trip
home.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Wednesday, October 7, 2015 at 1:42:49 AM UTC-7, Ophelia wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>> > Fresh salad greens do not do well in a car baking in the summer heat
>> > We will often stop on the way home from the market to get milk
>> > and half and half. Or even run into a hardware store. We no longer have
>> > to worry about hurrying home.
>> >
>> > Farmers markets by us also sell gourmet sausages, fresh cut meats,
>> > fresh
>> > caught fish, artisanal cheeses, etc. There are three or four great
>> > sausage shops between a half hour and an hour drive away. Or we could
>> > drive out in the country for the artisanal cheeses.

>> This is what we have. It can be a freezer or a fridge and can plug into
>> the
>> car.
>>
>> http://www.mgdonline.co.uk/products/...eeze_cf_40.php
>>

> Looks ideal for car camping!

That is what we bought it for but it is great for shopping for stuff a
distance away in summer.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
> > 9AM-Noon on
> > Saturday. Sometimes I'm not in the mood to go shopping that early on a
> > Saturday. Not their problem.

> Boy, people sure are different. I'd shop Costco more if they opened
> at 6 am on Saturdays. By the time they open at 9:30, I'm knee-deep
> in some project or other. Plus, everybody else is up by that point,
> and I don't want to shop with a crowd.

I agree with you once again, Cindy. I get up at 4-4:30am every day.
Saturday is my main shopping day and I go grocery shopping right at
6am or shortly afterwards. Then I do my house cleaning, laundry,
weekly call to the Mom (while the laundry is going). By 9am, I am
done with all the chores and have my day free.

I HATE other shopping as other stores don't open until 9-10. I don't
like waiting around for some store to open. For that reason, I rarely
shop at other stores. You want to sell me something, get the hell out
of bed you lazy turds. heheheh

This this one reason I like Walmart. Open 24/7. It's kind of far away
(18 miles round trip) so I don't shop there often but when I do, I'm
there at 5am and back to my grocery store by time it opens at 6am.

Good news for me. My local K-Mart closed down a couple of months ago.
This store was only about 1.5 miles away. I've learned that Walmart
has taken over the lease and plan to open there. Oh yeah...that will
be nice.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 08 Oct 2015 08:13:04 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > jmcquown wrote:
> > > 9AM-Noon on
> > > Saturday. Sometimes I'm not in the mood to go shopping that early on a
> > > Saturday. Not their problem.

> > Boy, people sure are different. I'd shop Costco more if they opened
> > at 6 am on Saturdays. By the time they open at 9:30, I'm knee-deep
> > in some project or other. Plus, everybody else is up by that point,
> > and I don't want to shop with a crowd.

> I agree with you once again, Cindy. I get up at 4-4:30am every day.
> Saturday is my main shopping day and I go grocery shopping right at
> 6am or shortly afterwards. Then I do my house cleaning, laundry,
> weekly call to the Mom (while the laundry is going). By 9am, I am
> done with all the chores and have my day free.

Before Costco, there was Price Club and Price Club opened at 8AM. I'd
drop the kids off at school, shop at Price Club and then fill in the
blanks at the grocery store.

> I HATE other shopping as other stores don't open until 9-10. I don't
> like waiting around for some store to open. For that reason, I rarely
> shop at other stores. You want to sell me something, get the hell out
> of bed you lazy turds. heheheh
>
> This this one reason I like Walmart. Open 24/7. It's kind of far away
> (18 miles round trip) so I don't shop there often but when I do, I'm
> there at 5am and back to my grocery store by time it opens at 6am.

Do you have a Super Target (Super means it has a grocery section)
anywhere nearby? They open when non-24 hr grocery stores open... 6-7
AM, something like that.... just checked and ooops. Looks like people
around here don't shop early, so they've adjusted their opening time
to 8 AM.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
>Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> Boy, people sure are different. I'd shop Costco more if they opened
>> at 6 am on Saturdays. By the time they open at 9:30, I'm knee-deep
>> in some project or other. Plus, everybody else is up by that point,
>> and I don't want to shop with a crowd.

>I agree with you once again, Cindy. I get up at 4-4:30am every day.
>Saturday is my main shopping day and I go grocery shopping right at
>6am or shortly afterwards. Then I do my house cleaning, laundry,
>weekly call to the Mom (while the laundry is going). By 9am, I am
>done with all the chores and have my day free.
>
>I HATE other shopping as other stores don't open until 9-10. I don't
>like waiting around for some store to open. For that reason, I rarely
>shop at other stores. You want to sell me something, get the hell out
>of bed you lazy turds. heheheh
>
>This this one reason I like Walmart. Open 24/7. It's kind of far away
>(18 miles round trip) so I don't shop there often but when I do, I'm
>there at 5am and back to my grocery store by time it opens at 6am.
>
>Good news for me. My local K-Mart closed down a couple of months ago.
>This store was only about 1.5 miles away. I've learned that Walmart
>has taken over the lease and plan to open there. Oh yeah...that will
>be nice.

When the new Tops Market in town first arrived it opened at 7:30,
people complained that it was too late so they changed their opening
to to 6 AM. I usually shop there after 9 AM because that's when the
post office opens... they are both near each other, only a little more
than 4 miles one way, but I'm not going to make two trips... that
market is never crowded anyway, and they have more than enough check
outs open. Other than perishable foods I do most shopping on line so
I don't concern myself with opening times. Yesterday my Red Mill
raisin bran muffin mix arrived and two Chicago Metalic jumbo muffin
pans from Amazon... would probably take me all day driving around to
locate those two items, if I could even find them. Yesterday I
ordered a great new abode for the ferals, was on sale at Northern
Tool:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...4591_200634591
Everywhere else it cost twice as much. It should easily accomodate
5/6 cats... I won't tell them it's a dawg house.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/8/2015 2:28 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> And yes, that's my Uncle. He's pretty much the head talking head for
> them. That doesn't keep me from talking shit about them.
>
> -sw

Why would it, you're clearly that big an asshole and more!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> http://hamptonroads.com/2015/08/walm...ilding-hilltop
>
> And yes, that's my Uncle. He's pretty much the head talking head for
> them. That doesn't keep me from talking shit about them.

Good ol Uncle Bill. That's interesting. What a small world it is.
I just wish they could speed the project up. Not opening until 2017.
arrgghhh!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/9/2015 7:40 AM, Gary wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> http://hamptonroads.com/2015/08/walm...ilding-hilltop
>>
>> And yes, that's my Uncle. He's pretty much the head talking head for
>> them. That doesn't keep me from talking shit about them.

> Good ol Uncle Bill. That's interesting. What a small world it is.

Stop feeding the ****ing TROLL!

\|||/
(o o)
| |