FoodBanter.com

-   -   Where Have RFC'ers Gone To On Social Media? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/434931-where-have-rfcers-gone.html)

Cheryl[_3_] 22-09-2015 02:40 AM

On 9/21/2015 12:59 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 06:14:58 -0700, sf wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 14:28:47 -0700, gtr > wrote:
>>
>>> That is, I'd like to review NO rfc posts, and only my friends blabber.
>>> Following this I'd like to see none of their blabber and all of the rfc
>>> posts. I ran into this before with a jazz musicians group that had
>>> such high volume that I had to unfollow it altogether to avoid the
>>> deluge. Seemingly there is no middle ground.

>> Are you asking if you can keep posts to rfc off your timeline? It can
>> be done.

> Facebook has never included posts to groups on your timeline. And it
> no longer shares your posts to groups on your friend's news feeds.
>
> -sw

I'm glad for that and I didn't know it had changed. I remember back when
I first joined friends in my list would "like" or respond to something I
posted there. It freaked me out. lol

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl

Cheryl[_3_] 22-09-2015 02:42 AM

On 9/21/2015 8:53 AM, William wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 11:05:47 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
> In America today Ophelia, people inside homes have hands holding
> Smartphones and eyes focused on Smartphones at all times.
>
> William

I always laugh when I see married couples posting to each other on
Facebook. It seems weird to me.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl

Ed Pawlowski 22-09-2015 03:16 AM

On 9/21/2015 9:42 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 9/21/2015 8:53 AM, William wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 11:05:47 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> In America today Ophelia, people inside homes have hands holding
>> Smartphones and eyes focused on Smartphones at all times.
>>
>> William
>>

> I always laugh when I see married couples posting to each other on
> Facebook. It seems weird to me.

OK if one is at work and the other home, but if they are on opposite
ends of the sofa . . .

Cheri[_3_] 22-09-2015 06:18 AM

Where Have RFC'ers Gone To On Social Media?

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
b.com...
> On 9/21/2015 8:53 AM, William wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 11:05:47 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> In America today Ophelia, people inside homes have hands holding
>> Smartphones and eyes focused on Smartphones at all times.
>>
>> William
>>

> I always laugh when I see married couples posting to each other on
> Facebook. It seems weird to me.

No wierder than texting from other parts of the house or yard to ones
partner.

Cheri

Ed Pawlowski 22-09-2015 10:53 AM

On 9/22/2015 1:18 AM, Cheri wrote:

> "Cheryl" > wrote in message

>> I always laugh when I see married couples posting to each other on
>> Facebook. It seems weird to me.

> No wierder than texting from other parts of the house or yard to ones
> partner.
>
> Cheri

We've done that. Better than yelling to the opposite end of the house.

Ophelia[_14_] 22-09-2015 11:05 AM

Where Have RFC'ers Gone To On Social Media?

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 21:09:08 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:

>>> Wearing an apron, with one trouser leg rolled up?

>>Ooh now you are getting on to serious stuff <g>
>>
>>Ye shouldnee hae mentioned the peeny ...
>>
>>;-)

> Do you think Julie is going to know what a peeny is ????

I daren't ask.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia[_14_] 22-09-2015 11:06 AM

"Xeno" > wrote in message
> On 22/09/2015 6:09 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Wearing an apron, with one trouser leg rolled up?

>> Ooh now you are getting on to serious stuff <g>
>>
>> Ye shouldnee hae mentioned the peeny ...
>>
>> ;-)
>>

> It was a very short story! ;-)

Whit wiz?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia[_14_] 22-09-2015 11:07 AM

Where Have RFC'ers Gone To On Social Media?

> wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 07:26:11 +1000, Bruce > wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 07:05:19 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:

>>>It's amazing more people don't recognise that fact.
>>>But that's what you get with the general public (from all
>>>demographics) now on the Internet.

>>Its all in how you use it. People were against computers too once. Now
>>look at them.

> I was never against computers - was getting on a bit to learn, but
> did. I think what I dislike about those phones is that they come
> between people and good conversation.
>
> Nobody comes in my place and dares use them, not my kids,
> grandchildren or great grandchildren. Sometimes they don't like it
> but they have to humour me :) If it's unbearable, then don't come
> here! It was like the fashion for those damn ball caps, not at my
> table. I once heard middle grandson say to youngest grandson, "What
> are you thinking? Get rid of your gum, we're getting in granny's car"
> :)

LOL what an og)))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia[_14_] 22-09-2015 11:20 AM

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 08:23:49 +1000, Xeno >
> wrote:

>>> Its all in how you use it. People were against computers too once. Now
>>> look at them.
>>>

>>Precisely. We are a society in transition and not everyone can keep up.

> Yes, and Usenet has become a 50+ thing. That's why you see a lot of
> bony fingers in the air here telling the world how bad smartphones and
> social media are :)

Oi !!! I will point a horny finger at you if you ain't careful young fella
me lad ... ;-)

O who does smartphones but not social media :)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia[_14_] 22-09-2015 01:44 PM

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 11:20:19 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Yes, and Usenet has become a 50+ thing. That's why you see a lot of
>>> bony fingers in the air here telling the world how bad smartphones and
>>> social media are :)

>>Oi !!! I will point a horny finger at you if you ain't careful young
>>fella
>>me lad ... ;-)

> lol
>
>>O who does smartphones but not social media :)

> That makes us equally up to date. I do social media, but not
> smartphones.

Ah! Do you do fb

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Xeno 22-09-2015 02:13 PM

On 22/09/2015 10:50 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 13:44:00 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>> "Bruce" > wrote in message

>>> lol

>>> That makes us equally up to date. I do social media, but not
>>> smartphones.

>> Ah! Do you do fb

> I resisted for a long time, but it's handy to stay in touch with
> friends and family on the other side of the world. I don't post much
> but I can see what they're up to :)

Yes, pretty much my experience as well. My relatives & friends are very
prolific posters and I have a battle even keeping up with their posts.
So I don't bother.

--

Xeno

Ophelia[_14_] 22-09-2015 02:34 PM

Where Have RFC'ers Gone To On Social Media?

> wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 11:20:19 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Yes, and Usenet has become a 50+ thing. That's why you see a lot of
>>> bony fingers in the air here telling the world how bad smartphones and
>>> social media are :)

>>Oi !!! I will point a horny finger at you if you ain't careful young
>>fella
>>me lad ... ;-)
>>
>>O who does smartphones but not social media :)

> A 'horny' finger - - - - -

pthpthpthpth

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia[_14_] 22-09-2015 02:35 PM

Where Have RFC'ers Gone To On Social Media?

> wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 11:07:35 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

> wrote in message
. ..

>>> I was never against computers - was getting on a bit to learn, but
>>> did. I think what I dislike about those phones is that they come
>>> between people and good conversation.
>>>
>>> Nobody comes in my place and dares use them, not my kids,
>>> grandchildren or great grandchildren. Sometimes they don't like it
>>> but they have to humour me :) If it's unbearable, then don't come
>>> here! It was like the fashion for those damn ball caps, not at my
>>> table. I once heard middle grandson say to youngest grandson, "What
>>> are you thinking? Get rid of your gum, we're getting in granny's car"
>>> :)

>>LOL what an og)))

> They still love me :)

I know:))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia[_14_] 22-09-2015 02:35 PM

Where Have RFC'ers Gone To On Social Media?

> wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 11:05:02 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

> wrote in message
. ..

>>> Do you think Julie is going to know what a peeny is ????

>>I daren't ask.

> lol your mind is as bad as mine :)

Gasp! I can't think what you mean!!! Just watch out for Sheila ...

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia[_14_] 22-09-2015 02:45 PM

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 13:44:00 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]
m...

>>> lol

>>> That makes us equally up to date. I do social media, but not
>>> smartphones.

>>Ah! Do you do fb

> I resisted for a long time, but it's handy to stay in touch with
> friends and family on the other side of the world. I don't post much
> but I can see what they're up to :)

If you are happy with it:)

I was encourage by a poster here to join. Once was enough and I never went
back. The family have stopped trying now. D was persuaded to get onto
Granddaughters thingy to look at pics but that is all. He never posts.

I just treasure emails and real letters:))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Dave Smith[_1_] 22-09-2015 02:50 PM

On 2015-09-22 9:13 AM, Xeno wrote:

> Yes, pretty much my experience as well. My relatives & friends are very
> prolific posters and I have a battle even keeping up with their posts.
> So I don't bother.

For those family members who are not close, it is a good way to keep
abreast of family news. We have seen a couple posts about the birth of
children. It saves us buy a card and present. If we are only informed of
news like that through FB we simply click on Like.

FB keeps making annoying changes. Over the last couple days I have been
getting posts about friends of friends changing their profile pictures.
I have no reason why, but it may be time to explore account settings
to see what has been added to that to expose me to more unwanted stuff.

wallaby springs 22-09-2015 04:41 PM

On 9/22/2015 5:57 AM, wrote:
>>> Get rid of your gum, we're getting in granny's car"
>> >
>> >LOL what an og)))

> They still love me:)

I rather doubt that, kids see through evil so much more easily than adults.

---
news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

S Viemeister[_2_] 22-09-2015 04:49 PM

On 9/22/2015 9:35 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> > wrote
>>> I daren't ask.

>> lol your mind is as bad as mine :)

> Gasp! I can't think what you mean!!! Just watch out for Sheila ...

<innocent expression> Moi?

Ophelia[_14_] 22-09-2015 05:02 PM

*point* ------>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

ImStillMags 22-09-2015 06:46 PM

On Monday, September 21, 2015 at 9:59:52 AM UTC-7, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 12:02:45 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, September 20, 2015 at 9:28:45 AM UTC-7, BigC300 wrote:
> >> Is this just typical end of summer traffic on RFC? Seems slow with few
> >> postings. I guess things will pick up near Thanksgiving.
> >>
> >> William

> >https://www.facebook.com/groups/recfoodcooking/

> I never knew there was a parallel Facebook Group for the RFC Usenet
> news group. I just requested permission to be a member!
>
> John Kuthe...

The best think about it is no trolls. No arguments, no snide remarks, just sharing.

Ophelia[_14_] 22-09-2015 07:05 PM

Where Have RFC'ers Gone To On Social Media?

> wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 17:02:15 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:

>>> <innocent expression> Moi?

>>*point* ------>
>>

> It's very bad mannered to point -only dogs do that!

Mine doesn't and anyway, I used a pointer ... so there!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia[_14_] 22-09-2015 07:05 PM

Where Have RFC'ers Gone To On Social Media?

> wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 11:49:42 -0400, S Viemeister
> > wrote:

>>> Gasp! I can't think what you mean!!! Just watch out for Sheila ...
>>>

>><innocent expression> Moi?

> You're as bad as her :)

Only as bad????? hahahaha

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Dave Smith[_1_] 22-09-2015 10:53 PM

On 2015-09-22 5:40 PM, wrote:

>> I can't remember the last time I've sent or received a real letter :)

> That's a man thing - corresponding or rather, lack of it. My many
> male cousins were terrible until email came along, the two female
> cousins - well we've always been in touch from snail mail on.

I do a lot of email and have re-connected with a lot of old friends
thanks to email and social media. My wife is really bad at email, but
she is a prolific letter and note writer. She is the one who everyone
in the extended family can count on sending cards for Christmas,
birthdays and other events.

wallaby springs 22-09-2015 11:02 PM

On 9/22/2015 11:23 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 08:29:55 -0300, wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 21:55:55 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>> Yeah, that changed almost 2 years ago. Barbara thinks is still happens
>>> which is why she hides out in those private groups. She didn't want
>>> her friends seeing what she posted in other groups. Or at least
>>> that's the reason she gave for leaving RFC on Facebook - because we
>>> voted not to make it a private group. It's an open group with
>>> membership approval.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> I'm confused now - I associate her with singing the praises of FB, in
>> fact a couple of times I nearly asked her why she bothered to come
>> here with the hoi polloi if FB was so marvellous.

> I'm done trying to explain Facebook to you. You just want to remain
> ignorant about what people are saying. If you use it and still don't
> understand something, then we can talk about it. Otherwise this is
> pointless.
>
> -sw

Always a nice word for the ladies, eh virus?

---
news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

Cheryl[_3_] 23-09-2015 12:04 AM

On 9/21/2015 6:20 PM, wrote:

> Nobody comes in my place and dares use them, not my kids,
> grandchildren or great grandchildren. Sometimes they don't like it
> but they have to humour me:) If it's unbearable, then don't come
> here! It was like the fashion for those damn ball caps, not at my
> table. I once heard middle grandson say to youngest grandson, "What
> are you thinking? Get rid of your gum, we're getting in granny's car"

My dad was like that with ball caps. He rarely got mad at anything but
you wouldn't have wanted to be around him when out at a restaurant and a
man nearby had a ball cap on. It was like something that must have
scratched at his brain or something. :)

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl

Cheri[_3_] 23-09-2015 12:31 AM

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 9/22/2015 1:18 AM, Cheri wrote:
>>
>> "Cheryl" > wrote in message

>>> I always laugh when I see married couples posting to each other on
>>> Facebook. It seems weird to me.

>> No wierder than texting from other parts of the house or yard to ones
>> partner.
>>
>> Cheri

> We've done that. Better than yelling to the opposite end of the house.

Many years ago, we used to be in the same room on computers posting to a
politics chat room, it was great fun.

Cheri

Cheryl[_3_] 23-09-2015 12:32 AM

On 9/22/2015 5:53 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 9/22/2015 1:18 AM, Cheri wrote:
>>
>> "Cheryl" > wrote in message

>>> I always laugh when I see married couples posting to each other on
>>> Facebook. It seems weird to me.

>> No wierder than texting from other parts of the house or yard to ones
>> partner.
>>
>> Cheri

> We've done that. Better than yelling to the opposite end of the house.

Years and years ago I bought my parents walkie talkies for just that
purpose. Way before smartphones, and neither would use a phone where you
could text anyway. They even used to walkies on a cruise one time when
they weren't together but wanted to know where each other were.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl

Xeno 23-09-2015 01:37 AM

wrote:

>>> Likely not at todays postage rates! I gave up Xmas cards because the
>>> cost of cards and then postage became ridiculous.

>> Did you switch to e-Xmas cards? I once sent a Christmas card in the
>> 80s.

> No, I do an e-letter at Xmas with all the years news, exactly the same
> as the one I used to include with an Xmas card. Then I do the
> emailing separately so each one has at least a paragraph that is
> purely for that person.
>
> Most of mine do the same, I still send a regular snail mail card to a
> very old Chinese friend and also to my aunt and uncle, those three do
> not have computers :)
>
> I used to send a small Xmas gift to a 'pen pal' in NZ, we have done it
> for zonks. However the year before last, I mailed in October, a fancy
> local calendar, surface rate $18 ! The postage on her gift, a light
> weight Tshirt was similar so in Feb/March I broached the subject with
> her that our sentimentality was a god send to two postal services and
> made no difference to our friendship. So after all those years, we
> quit.
>
> Xmas Cards (since I'm an atheist anyway) were my method of making sure
> I touched base with friends all over the world. I used to send about
> 45 yearly, but it became ridiculous. The post office wrung the neck
> of the goose that laid the golden egg lol

I got up to 80 or 90 before I decided to call time on it. The cost
wasn't the issue so much as the absolute chore it became filling out
each individual card and envelope.

--

Xeno

Ed Pawlowski 23-09-2015 02:00 AM

On 9/22/2015 5:21 PM, Bruce wrote:

> I can't remember the last time I've sent or received a real letter :)

I send a few a year. Used to be a couple a month to a friend, but that
is now email. I only write a half dozen checks a year too. Taxes and
water bill are about the only checks left.

Ophelia[_14_] 23-09-2015 08:31 AM

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 14:45:13 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]
m...

>>> I resisted for a long time, but it's handy to stay in touch with
>>> friends and family on the other side of the world. I don't post much
>>> but I can see what they're up to :)

>>If you are happy with it:)
>>
>>I was encourage by a poster here to join. Once was enough and I never
>>went
>>back. The family have stopped trying now. D was persuaded to get onto
>>Granddaughters thingy to look at pics but that is all. He never posts.

> Yes, it's handy for that. He could always click the Like button
> occasionally, so they know he's seen it.
>
>>I just treasure emails and real letters:))

> I can't remember the last time I've sent or received a real letter :)

We get real letters from Granddaughter in Hong Kong because she says she
gets so frustrated with the computers because they are so slow. I love to
get them and keep them all:))

I need to make the most of them because she will be home in February
:)))))))))))))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia[_14_] 23-09-2015 08:35 AM

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 18:40:17 -0300, wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 23 Sep 2015 07:21:34 +1000, Bruce > wrote:

>>>Yes, it's handy for that. He could always click the Like button
>>>occasionally, so they know he's seen it.

>>>I can't remember the last time I've sent or received a real letter :)

>>That's a man thing - corresponding or rather, lack of it. My many
>>male cousins were terrible until email came along, the two female
>>cousins - well we've always been in touch from snail mail on.

> Email's so much faster. And you can write just one quick line. You
> probably won't write a letter consisting of one line.

That is one thing Iove so much about the letters I get from GD:) She writes
funny and loving letters. Must nicer than emails:))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia[_14_] 23-09-2015 08:40 AM

Where Have RFC'ers Gone To On Social Media?

> wrote in message
> On Wed, 23 Sep 2015 07:55:02 +1000, Bruce > wrote:

>>>That's a man thing - corresponding or rather, lack of it. My many
>>>male cousins were terrible until email came along, the two female
>>>cousins - well we've always been in touch from snail mail on.

>>Email's so much faster. And you can write just one quick line. You
>>probably won't write a letter consisting of one line.

> Likely not at todays postage rates! I gave up Xmas cards because the
> cost of cards and then postage became ridiculous.

I send very few cards but then I have very few relatives. Before GD went
away, I made up Birthday and Christmas cards containing money gifts to last
till she came home, so she took them with her.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Julie Bove[_2_] 23-09-2015 10:34 AM

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message

>>>Email's so much faster. And you can write just one quick line. You
>>>probably won't write a letter consisting of one line.

>> Likely not at todays postage rates! I gave up Xmas cards because the
>> cost of cards and then postage became ridiculous.

> I send very few cards but then I have very few relatives. Before GD went
> away, I made up Birthday and Christmas cards containing money gifts to
> last till she came home, so she took them with her.

My Christmas card list keeps shrinking. So many people have died. And then
some stop sending cards. E-cards were big for a while. Thankfully that
trend has died out because I would rather not get those. It was fun when it
first started though. I used to mail out over 100 and that did not count
the ones that I gave out at work. Now I am down to about 60 that I mail
out.

Julie Bove[_2_] 23-09-2015 10:39 AM

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 16:37:49 -0300, wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 12:23:18 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I'm done trying to explain Facebook to you. You just want to remain
>>>ignorant about what people are saying. If you use it and still don't
>>>understand something, then we can talk about it. Otherwise this is
>>>pointless.

>> Not really, I am here, what happens here is of consequence to me. What
>> happens on FB is of no interest to me....

> You've posted about hating Facebook at least 50 times. Yet you've
> never even used it.
>
> It's getting REALLY old. If it's of no interest to you then you
> should skip the posts regarding discussion (and your ignorant
> opinions) of Facebook.
>
> -sw

I love it! I can get nearly instant information and updates on friends and
family. I was able to find a handyman who charged far less than the others
I've found and I got some kids to come clean up dropped fruit when my
gardener broke his leg. I also made a little girl very happy. Angela kept
forgetting to put the sewing machine that I bought her but that she never
used, out with the give aways. I was annoyed because once again, they had
picked up but the machine was in her room. I just happened to see a post
from a dad looking for a machine for his two girls. Turns out that he lived
just down the street. He came right over with his one daughter. The other
was out shopping with her mom. Brand new Hello Kitty machine. Also a book
and some patterns. Hopefully those girls will use it! Facebook is great!

Ophelia[_14_] 23-09-2015 01:10 PM

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 23 Sep 2015 08:31:33 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> I can't remember the last time I've sent or received a real letter :)

>>We get real letters from Granddaughter in Hong Kong because she says she
>>gets so frustrated with the computers because they are so slow. I love to
>>get them and keep them all:))
>>
>>I need to make the most of them because she will be home in February
>>:)))))))))))))

> For a holiday?

Not quite:) She will have been away for 2 years:) I would tell you, but
not here.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Gary 23-09-2015 01:27 PM

Ophelia from GB wrote:

> That is one thing Iove so much about the letters I get from GD:) She writes
> funny and loving letters. Must nicer than emails:))

Letters you get from GD? (aka Grenada)
I thought you said she's in HK. ;-D

sf[_9_] 23-09-2015 01:33 PM

Where Have RFC'ers Gone To On Social Media?

On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 10:33:43 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 16:00:39 -0500, John Kuthe >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Yep, and many times you will be granted access. Unless it's what
> >> Facebook calls a "Private" group which is onl;y visible/accessable by
> >> invitation, ostensibly. I'm that Facebook literate from an admin
> >> perspective.

> > The correct term for a group that you need to be invited to join is
> > "secret".
> >
> > --
> >
> > sf

> With a nifty handshake as well. ;-)
>
> Cheri

I think it depends on why the group was created as or went to
"secret". I don't think bridesmaids would want a bunch of strangers
butting in on bachelorette party planning. :)

--

sf

sf[_9_] 23-09-2015 01:45 PM

Where Have RFC'ers Gone To On Social Media?

On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 17:42:48 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>

> I was alarmed to hear that some companies were moving away from laptops
> and desktops because they saw their future in smaller formats like
> tablets and smart phones. I figured that everyone already had a lap top
> and/or a desk top and were jumping on tablets and iPads as a gimmick. I
> bought a tablet for my wife but it was basically as a portable
> electronic photo album for her. I use it to play Scrabble. I can't see
> it replacing even a laptop.

They're banking on you using the cloud for everything... and they're
making it very tempting.

--

sf

sf[_9_] 23-09-2015 01:47 PM

Where Have RFC'ers Gone To On Social Media?

On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 14:46:02 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> Larry, I don't need FB to keep in touch...I use a couple old-style "round robin" letters,
> email, and the telephone (a landline). Nobody "needs" FB.
>
> N.

Some people still use pen & paper and put a stamp on an envelope.
Others have moved on to more modern forms of communication.

--

sf

Dave Smith[_1_] 23-09-2015 01:58 PM

On 2015-09-23 8:33 AM, sf wrote:

> I think it depends on why the group was created as or went to
> "secret". I don't think bridesmaids would want a bunch of strangers
> butting in on bachelorette party planning. :)

There was a major scandal earlier this year when comments from a
FaceBook page for dentistry students were publicized. It seems the frat
boy mentality was alive and well in the department. Everyone who was a
member of the group was tarred with the same brush and there were some
serious consequences.