Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Re Fake Ingredients

I received an email recipe from ATK, which was for the well-known strawberry gelatin
salad with a pretzel crust. Without stating the product they were calling "fake," their
recipe included dairy whipped cream. I am sure the easy recipe called for Cool Whip,
not genuine whipped cream. It was the only component which could have been a
substitute for something else. The rest of the recipe had genuine strawberries, genuine
plain gelatin, and genuine pretzels.

But since when is an ingredient called "fake" without defining what it is a substitute for?
An ingredient is an ingredient. It was sloppy editing to refer to Cool Whip as a fake
ingredient without defining what their "real" ingredient was. Don't you agree? Or am I
being exceptionally cranky....

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 20, 2015 at 7:27:55 PM UTC-5, Nancy2 wrote:
> I received an email recipe from ATK, which was for the well-known strawberry gelatin
> salad with a pretzel crust. Without stating the product they were calling "fake," their
> recipe included dairy whipped cream. I am sure the easy recipe called for Cool Whip,
> not genuine whipped cream. It was the only component which could have been a
> substitute for something else. The rest of the recipe had genuine strawberries, genuine
> plain gelatin, and genuine pretzels.
>
> But since when is an ingredient called "fake" without defining what it is a substitute for?
> An ingredient is an ingredient. It was sloppy editing to refer to Cool Whip as a fake
> ingredient without defining what their "real" ingredient was. Don't you agree? Or am I
> being exceptionally cranky....

Cool whip isn't merely "fake," it is disgusting, and no person of any
intelligence would suggest otherwise.

> N.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Aug 2015 17:27:52 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> I received an email recipe from ATK, which was for the well-known strawberry gelatin
> salad with a pretzel crust. Without stating the product they were calling "fake," their
> recipe included dairy whipped cream. I am sure the easy recipe called for Cool Whip,
> not genuine whipped cream. It was the only component which could have been a
> substitute for something else. The rest of the recipe had genuine strawberries, genuine
> plain gelatin, and genuine pretzels.
>
> But since when is an ingredient called "fake" without defining what it is a substitute for?
> An ingredient is an ingredient. It was sloppy editing to refer to Cool Whip as a fake
> ingredient without defining what their "real" ingredient was. Don't you agree? Or am I
> being exceptionally cranky....

OK, you're cranky - but I want that recipe!

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message

> I received an email recipe from ATK, which was for the well-known
> strawberry gelatin
> salad with a pretzel crust. Without stating the product they were calling
> "fake," their
> recipe included dairy whipped cream. I am sure the easy recipe called for
> Cool Whip,
> not genuine whipped cream. It was the only component which could have
> been a
> substitute for something else. The rest of the recipe had genuine
> strawberries, genuine
> plain gelatin, and genuine pretzels.
>
> But since when is an ingredient called "fake" without defining what it is
> a substitute for?
> An ingredient is an ingredient. It was sloppy editing to refer to Cool
> Whip as a fake
> ingredient without defining what their "real" ingredient was. Don't you
> agree? Or am I
> being exceptionally cranky....
>
> N.

Maybe they didn't want to use the name brand. There are other brands of
crap like Cool Whip.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 20 Aug 2015 17:27:52 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> > wrote:
>

>> I received an email recipe from ATK, which was for the well-known
>> strawberry gelatin
>> salad with a pretzel crust. Without stating the product they were
>> calling "fake," their
>> recipe included dairy whipped cream. I am sure the easy recipe called
>> for Cool Whip,
>> not genuine whipped cream. It was the only component which could have
>> been a
>> substitute for something else. The rest of the recipe had genuine
>> strawberries, genuine
>> plain gelatin, and genuine pretzels.
>>
>> But since when is an ingredient called "fake" without defining what it is
>> a substitute for?
>> An ingredient is an ingredient. It was sloppy editing to refer to Cool
>> Whip as a fake
>> ingredient without defining what their "real" ingredient was. Don't you
>> agree? Or am I
>> being exceptionally cranky....
>>

> OK, you're cranky - but I want that recipe!

Jessa Duggar put it on People magazine online, a week or two ago. It
sounded quite nasty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
>>
>> I received an email recipe from ATK, which was for the well-known
>> strawberry gelatin
>> salad with a pretzel crust. Without stating the product they were
>> calling "fake," their
>> recipe included dairy whipped cream. I am sure the easy recipe called
>> for Cool Whip,
>> not genuine whipped cream. It was the only component which could have
>> been a
>> substitute for something else. The rest of the recipe had genuine
>> strawberries, genuine
>> plain gelatin, and genuine pretzels.
>>
>> But since when is an ingredient called "fake" without defining what it is
>> a substitute for?
>> An ingredient is an ingredient. It was sloppy editing to refer to Cool
>> Whip as a fake
>> ingredient without defining what their "real" ingredient was. Don't you
>> agree? Or am I
>> being exceptionally cranky....
>>
>> N.

> Maybe they didn't want to use the name brand. There are other brands of
> crap like Cool Whip.

So what is Cool Whip? Pretendy cream?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> Maybe they didn't want to use the name brand. There are other brands of
> crap like Cool Whip.

Cool Whip has been selling like crazy for years. They don't care about
the food snobs here in rfc, a small minority for sure.

I happen to like it better than real whipped cream. I occasionally buy
the "extra creamy cool whip." Actually, I buy the generic version for
less. Once a year? Yeah, I like it and I don't care what's in it.

To call it crap is like Bryan calling mayo, subway bread, and several
other products crap. Yet he ate out of a dumpster for a time in his
life.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Regardless of whether you use dairy whipped cream or Cool Whip, this salad
is very good. Sorry for the line lengths.

Strawberry Salad with Pretzel Crust (ATK)

6 1/2 ounces pretzel sticks
2 1/4 cups (15 3/4 ounces) sugar
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
8 ounces cream cheese
1 cup heavy cream
3 pounds (10 1/2 cups) frozen strawberries, thawed
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup cold water

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Spray 13 by 9-inch baking pan with vegetable oil spray. Pulse pretzels and ¼ cup sugar in food processor until coarsely ground, about 15 pulses. Add melted butter and pulse until combined, about 10 pulses. Transfer pretzel mixture to prepared pan. Using bottom of measuring cup, press crumbs into bottom of pan. Bake until crust is fragrant and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking. Set aside crust, letting it cool slightly, about 20 minutes.

2. Using stand mixer fitted with whisk, whip cream cheese and ½ cup sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Increase speed to medium-high and, with mixer still running, slowly add cream in steady stream. Continue to whip until soft peaks form, scraping down bowl as needed, about 1 minute longer. Spread whipped cream cheese mixture evenly over cooled crust. Refrigerate until set, about 30 minute3. Meanwhile, process 2 pounds strawberries in now-empty food processor until pureed, about 30 seconds. Strain mixture through fine-mesh strainer set over medium saucepan, using underside of small ladle to push puree through strainer. Add remaining 1½ cups sugar and salt to strawberry puree in saucepan and cook over medium-high heat, whisking occasionally, until bubbles begin to appear around sides of pan and sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes; remove from heat.

3. Meanwhile, process 2 pounds strawberries in now-empty food processor until pureed, about 30 seconds. Strain mixture through fine-mesh strainer set over medium saucepan, using underside of small ladle to push puree through strainer. Add remaining 1½ cups sugar and salt to strawberry puree in saucepan and cook over medium-high heat, whisking occasionally, until bubbles begin to appear around sides of pan and sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes; remove from heat.

4. Sprinkle gelatin over water in large bowl and let sit until gelatin softens, about 5 minutes. Whisk strawberry puree into gelatin. Slice remaining strawberries and stir into strawberry-gelatin mixture. Refrigerate until gelatin thickens slightly and starts to cling to sides of bowl, about 30 minutes. Carefully pour gelatin mixture evenly over whipped cream cheese layer. Refrigerate salad until gelatin is fully set, at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours. Serve.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

My point wasn't the choice between dairy and non-dairy, it was the use of the word "fake"
when talking about ingredients. Ingredients are real. They should have said fake whipped
cream, but they didn't. Like I say, it was bad editing.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> I received an email recipe from ATK, which was for the well-known
>>> strawberry gelatin
>>> salad with a pretzel crust. Without stating the product they were
>>> calling "fake," their
>>> recipe included dairy whipped cream. I am sure the easy recipe called
>>> for Cool Whip,
>>> not genuine whipped cream. It was the only component which could have
>>> been a
>>> substitute for something else. The rest of the recipe had genuine
>>> strawberries, genuine
>>> plain gelatin, and genuine pretzels.
>>>
>>> But since when is an ingredient called "fake" without defining what it
>>> is a substitute for?
>>> An ingredient is an ingredient. It was sloppy editing to refer to Cool
>>> Whip as a fake
>>> ingredient without defining what their "real" ingredient was. Don't you
>>> agree? Or am I
>>> being exceptionally cranky....
>>>
>>> N.

>> Maybe they didn't want to use the name brand. There are other brands of
>> crap like Cool Whip.

> So what is Cool Whip? Pretendy cream?

It's a bunch of chemicals.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
> My point wasn't the choice between dairy and non-dairy, it was the use of
> the word "fake"
> when talking about ingredients. Ingredients are real. They should have
> said fake whipped
> cream, but they didn't. Like I say, it was bad editing.
>
> N.

hard to tell, since you didn't quote it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Ophelia" wrote: in message
> > So what is Cool Whip? Pretendy cream?

> It's a bunch of chemicals.

And so is real whipped cream.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, August 21, 2015 at 7:48:40 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Nancy2" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> I received an email recipe from ATK, which was for the well-known
> >> strawberry gelatin
> >> salad with a pretzel crust. Without stating the product they were
> >> calling "fake," their
> >> recipe included dairy whipped cream. I am sure the easy recipe called
> >> for Cool Whip,
> >> not genuine whipped cream. It was the only component which could have
> >> been a
> >> substitute for something else. The rest of the recipe had genuine
> >> strawberries, genuine
> >> plain gelatin, and genuine pretzels.
> >>
> >> But since when is an ingredient called "fake" without defining what it is
> >> a substitute for?
> >> An ingredient is an ingredient. It was sloppy editing to refer to Cool
> >> Whip as a fake
> >> ingredient without defining what their "real" ingredient was. Don't you
> >> agree? Or am I
> >> being exceptionally cranky....
> >>
> >> N.

> > Maybe they didn't want to use the name brand. There are other brands of
> > crap like Cool Whip.

> So what is Cool Whip? Pretendy cream?

Imitation whipped cream. Ingredients:

water, hydrogenated vegetable oil (including coconut and palm oils), high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, skimmed milk, light cream, and less than 2% sodium caseinate (a milk derivative), natural and artificial flavor, xanthan and guar gums, polysorbate 60, sorbitan monostearate, and beta carotene (as a coloring

You buy it frozen, and let it defrost before serving.

I haven't had any in a very, very long time. I recall it had a somewhat
metallic flavor and a greasy mouthfeel. And it was sweet as hell.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Y'all are missing the point. {{{sigh}}}. Nevermind.
I guess sf was right, I was just being cranky.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
> Y'all are missing the point. {{{sigh}}}. Nevermind.
> I guess sf was right, I was just being cranky.
>
> N.

at least you weren't faking it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Aug 2015 18:04:09 -0700 (PDT), MisterDiddyWahDiddy
> wrote:

>On Thursday, August 20, 2015 at 7:27:55 PM UTC-5, Nancy2 wrote:
>> I received an email recipe from ATK, which was for the well-known strawberry gelatin
>> salad with a pretzel crust. Without stating the product they were calling "fake," their
>> recipe included dairy whipped cream. I am sure the easy recipe called for Cool Whip,
>> not genuine whipped cream. It was the only component which could have been a
>> substitute for something else. The rest of the recipe had genuine strawberries, genuine
>> plain gelatin, and genuine pretzels.
>>
>> But since when is an ingredient called "fake" without defining what it is a substitute for?
>> An ingredient is an ingredient. It was sloppy editing to refer to Cool Whip as a fake
>> ingredient without defining what their "real" ingredient was. Don't you agree? Or am I
>> being exceptionally cranky....
>>

>Cool whip isn't merely "fake," it is disgusting, and no person of any
>intelligence would suggest otherwise.
>>
>> N.

>--Bryan

Bryan's typical expression from his Narcissistic Personality Disorder.
Don't argue the merits of real whipped cream, attack the person!!!

Typical Narcississtic tendency, to speciously bolster a fragile inner
ego.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Friday, August 21, 2015 at 7:48:40 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:

>> > Maybe they didn't want to use the name brand. There are other brands
>> > of
>> > crap like Cool Whip.

>> So what is Cool Whip? Pretendy cream?

> Imitation whipped cream. Ingredients:
>
> water, hydrogenated vegetable oil (including coconut and palm oils), high
> fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, skimmed milk, light cream, and less than
> 2% sodium caseinate (a milk derivative), natural and artificial flavor,
> xanthan and guar gums, polysorbate 60, sorbitan monostearate, and beta
> carotene (as a coloring

Oh dear ... Thanks.

> You buy it frozen, and let it defrost before serving.

Ahh I was imagining it in a squirty can.

> I haven't had any in a very, very long time. I recall it had a somewhat
> metallic flavor and a greasy mouthfeel. And it was sweet as hell.

I wouldn't fancy that!! I enjoy real cream too much.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
> Y'all are missing the point. {{{sigh}}}. Nevermind.
> I guess sf was right, I was just being cranky.

Join the club)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"taxed and spent" > wrote in message

> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
>> Y'all are missing the point. {{{sigh}}}. Nevermind.
>> I guess sf was right, I was just being cranky.
>>
>> N.

> at least you weren't faking it.

lol

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia, that stuff in the "squirty can" is GENUINE WHIPPED CREAM. Shocker, huh.
LOL.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
> Ophelia, that stuff in the "squirty can" is GENUINE WHIPPED CREAM.
> Shocker, huh.
> LOL.

Is it?? <g> I bet it is more expensive than just whipping up your own
though eh???
..

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Aug 2015 18:47:33 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Nancy2" > wrote in message
>> Ophelia, that stuff in the "squirty can" is GENUINE WHIPPED CREAM.
>> Shocker, huh.
>> LOL.

>Is it?? <g> I bet it is more expensive than just whipping up your own
>though eh???
>.

Yes, but Reddi-whip is WAY easier!! Plus at the end of the can, you
get a free N2O hit! Priceless!! :-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, August 21, 2015 at 1:47:43 PM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
> > Ophelia, that stuff in the "squirty can" is GENUINE WHIPPED CREAM.
> > Shocker, huh.
> > LOL.

> Is it?? <g> I bet it is more expensive than just whipping up your own
> though eh???

Some of it is real cream; some of it isn't. In any case, you can't
control the amount of sugar in it.

It might not necessarily be more expensive, due to economies of scale.
I haven't looked recently, but it seems to me that there are more
cans of whipped cream than cartons of heavy cream at the grocery store.
Or my memory could be faulty.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 21 Aug 2015 18:47:33 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Nancy2" > wrote in message
>>> Ophelia, that stuff in the "squirty can" is GENUINE WHIPPED CREAM.
>>> Shocker, huh.
>>> LOL.

>>Is it?? <g> I bet it is more expensive than just whipping up your own
>>though eh???
>>.

> Yes, but Reddi-whip is WAY easier!! Plus at the end of the can, you
> get a free N2O hit! Priceless!! :-)

duh!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Friday, August 21, 2015 at 1:47:43 PM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
>> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
>> > Ophelia, that stuff in the "squirty can" is GENUINE WHIPPED CREAM.
>> > Shocker, huh.
>> > LOL.

>> Is it?? <g> I bet it is more expensive than just whipping up your own
>> though eh???

> Some of it is real cream; some of it isn't. In any case, you can't
> control the amount of sugar in it.
>
> It might not necessarily be more expensive, due to economies of scale.
> I haven't looked recently, but it seems to me that there are more
> cans of whipped cream than cartons of heavy cream at the grocery store.
> Or my memory could be faulty.

Are you saying they add sugar to the canned stuff??

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, August 21, 2015 at 3:23:21 PM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> Is it?? <g> I bet it is more expensive than just whipping up your own
> >> though eh???

> > Some of it is real cream; some of it isn't. In any case, you can't
> > control the amount of sugar in it.
> >
> > It might not necessarily be more expensive, due to economies of scale.
> > I haven't looked recently, but it seems to me that there are more
> > cans of whipped cream than cartons of heavy cream at the grocery store.
> > Or my memory could be faulty.

> Are you saying they add sugar to the canned stuff??

Good grief, yes! This is America. They add sugar to everything.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Friday, August 21, 2015 at 3:23:21 PM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:

>> > Some of it is real cream; some of it isn't. In any case, you can't
>> > control the amount of sugar in it.
>> >
>> > It might not necessarily be more expensive, due to economies of scale.
>> > I haven't looked recently, but it seems to me that there are more
>> > cans of whipped cream than cartons of heavy cream at the grocery store.
>> > Or my memory could be faulty.

>> Are you saying they add sugar to the canned stuff??

> Good grief, yes! This is America. They add sugar to everything.

I expect they add sugar to most things here too, which is why I prefer to
make everything I can, from scratch with fresh ingredients.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks, saved. I made the original recipe once and it was far tastier
than it sounds - but I've always wanted to try it with "real"
ingredients.

```````````````````

On Fri, 21 Aug 2015 05:48:49 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> [...]

> 4. Sprinkle gelatin over water in large bowl and let sit until gelatin softens, about 5 minutes. Whisk strawberry puree into gelatin. Slice remaining strawberries and stir into strawberry-gelatin mixture. Refrigerate until gelatin thickens slightly and starts to cling to sides of bowl, about 30 minutes. Carefully pour gelatin mixture evenly over whipped cream cheese layer. Refrigerate salad until gelatin is fully set, at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours. Serve.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/21/2015 8:37 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Aug 2015 18:04:09 -0700 (PDT), MisterDiddyWahDiddy
> > wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, August 20, 2015 at 7:27:55 PM UTC-5, Nancy2 wrote:
>>> I received an email recipe from ATK, which was for the well-known strawberry gelatin
>>> salad with a pretzel crust. Without stating the product they were calling "fake," their
>>> recipe included dairy whipped cream. I am sure the easy recipe called for Cool Whip,
>>> not genuine whipped cream. It was the only component which could have been a
>>> substitute for something else. The rest of the recipe had genuine strawberries, genuine
>>> plain gelatin, and genuine pretzels.
>>>
>>> But since when is an ingredient called "fake" without defining what it is a substitute for?
>>> An ingredient is an ingredient. It was sloppy editing to refer to Cool Whip as a fake
>>> ingredient without defining what their "real" ingredient was. Don't you agree? Or am I
>>> being exceptionally cranky....
>>>

>> Cool whip isn't merely "fake," it is disgusting, and no person of any
>> intelligence would suggest otherwise.
>>>
>>> N.

>> --Bryan

> Bryan's typical expression from his Narcissistic Personality Disorder.
> Don't argue the merits of real whipped cream, attack the person!!!
>
> Typical Narcississtic tendency, to speciously bolster a fragile inner
> ego.
>
> John Kuthe...

You...exhibit...most of the same...tendencies...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/21/2015 10:58 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> margarine in place of butter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIN8MmMloZE

"You know I been smokin' all a my life and I ain't dead yet"

http://www.yelp.com/user_details?use...qvcdFuU1dR8bgA

Steve "Rockin the Boat" W.'s Profile

Location
Austin, TX

Most Recent Discovery
I'm getting older

I went in to buy cigarettes as I do twice a week for the last 6 months
and was given "short" cigarettes instead of the longer 100's style. I
was halfway out the door when I realized the mistake. The door hadn't
even had time to close behind me when I went back in to get the right
cigarettes. Had to wait behind a few other people at the cash
register but when I got there he said they have a policy that once you
leave the store you cannot return or exchange anything. I told him
the door never even closed behind me so technically I never left the
store. And more importantly you gave me the wrong cigarettes. It was
a simple exchange.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/21/2015 11:01 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> thought of whipped
> cream?
>
> -sw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIN8MmMloZE

"You know I been smokin' all a my life and I ain't dead yet"

http://www.yelp.com/user_details?use...qvcdFuU1dR8bgA

Steve "Rockin the Boat" W.'s Profile

Location
Austin, TX

Most Recent Discovery
I'm getting older

I went in to buy cigarettes as I do twice a week for the last 6 months
and was given "short" cigarettes instead of the longer 100's style. I
was halfway out the door when I realized the mistake. The door hadn't
even had time to close behind me when I went back in to get the right
cigarettes. Had to wait behind a few other people at the cash
register but when I got there he said they have a policy that once you
leave the store you cannot return or exchange anything. I told him
the door never even closed behind me so technically I never left the
store. And more importantly you gave me the wrong cigarettes. It was
a simple exchange.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/21/2015 1:32 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, August 21, 2015 at 3:23:21 PM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Some of it is real cream; some of it isn't. In any case, you can't
>>> control the amount of sugar in it.
>>>
>>> It might not necessarily be more expensive, due to economies of scale.
>>> I haven't looked recently, but it seems to me that there are more
>>> cans of whipped cream than cartons of heavy cream at the grocery store.
>>> Or my memory could be faulty.

>> Are you saying they add sugar to the canned stuff??

> Good grief, yes! This is America. They add sugar to everything.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

+ 1
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> Maybe they didn't want to use the name brand. There are other brands of
>> crap like Cool Whip.

> Cool Whip has been selling like crazy for years. They don't care about
> the food snobs here in rfc, a small minority for sure.
>
> I happen to like it better than real whipped cream. I occasionally buy
> the "extra creamy cool whip." Actually, I buy the generic version for
> less. Once a year? Yeah, I like it and I don't care what's in it.
>
> To call it crap is like Bryan calling mayo, subway bread, and several
> other products crap. Yet he ate out of a dumpster for a time in his
> life.

LOL, how true. It's funny how some of this stuff that's called junk here, no
person would eat it etc., is some of the highest selling stuff in the
country.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed, heavy cream you whip yourself is easily stabilized for up to a 3-4 day hold
in the fridge by using powdered sugar instead of regular sugar, or if you would
rather not use much sugar, throw in some meringue powder. Reddi-Whip and
home whipped cream collapse pretty quickly with use of regular sugar. I generally
use about 1/4 C. Powdered sugar for 8 oz. heavy whipping cream.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Aug 2015 08:24:21 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> To call it crap is like Bryan calling mayo, subway bread, and several
> other products crap. Yet he ate out of a dumpster for a time in his
> life.

+1

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Aug 2015 06:45:51 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> Y'all are missing the point. {{{sigh}}}. Nevermind.
> I guess sf was right, I was just being cranky.

Hey, I'm on your side.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Aug 2015 16:58:57 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message ...
> > Julie Bove wrote:
> >>

> > To call it crap is like Bryan calling mayo, subway bread, and several
> > other products crap. Yet he ate out of a dumpster for a time in his
> > life.

> LOL, how true. It's funny how some of this stuff that's called junk here, no
> person would eat it etc., is some of the highest selling stuff in the
> country.

You betcha! OTOH... I wouldn't have discovered TJ's sunflower oil as
quickly as I did if Bryan didn't tout it at the time.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
> Y'all are missing the point. {{{sigh}}}. Nevermind.
> I guess sf was right, I was just being cranky.

I couldn't see the point.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
On Friday, August 21, 2015 at 7:48:40 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Nancy2" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> I received an email recipe from ATK, which was for the well-known
> >> strawberry gelatin
> >> salad with a pretzel crust. Without stating the product they were
> >> calling "fake," their
> >> recipe included dairy whipped cream. I am sure the easy recipe called
> >> for Cool Whip,
> >> not genuine whipped cream. It was the only component which could have
> >> been a
> >> substitute for something else. The rest of the recipe had genuine
> >> strawberries, genuine
> >> plain gelatin, and genuine pretzels.
> >>
> >> But since when is an ingredient called "fake" without defining what it
> >> is
> >> a substitute for?
> >> An ingredient is an ingredient. It was sloppy editing to refer to Cool
> >> Whip as a fake
> >> ingredient without defining what their "real" ingredient was. Don't
> >> you
> >> agree? Or am I
> >> being exceptionally cranky....
> >>
> >> N.

> > Maybe they didn't want to use the name brand. There are other brands of
> > crap like Cool Whip.

> So what is Cool Whip? Pretendy cream?

Imitation whipped cream. Ingredients:

water, hydrogenated vegetable oil (including coconut and palm oils), high
fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, skimmed milk, light cream, and less than 2%
sodium caseinate (a milk derivative), natural and artificial flavor, xanthan
and guar gums, polysorbate 60, sorbitan monostearate, and beta carotene (as
a coloring

You buy it frozen, and let it defrost before serving.

I haven't had any in a very, very long time. I recall it had a somewhat
metallic flavor and a greasy mouthfeel. And it was sweet as hell.

Cindy Hamilton

---

Most people I know who do eat it, eat it frozen, like ice cream.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
>> Ophelia, that stuff in the "squirty can" is GENUINE WHIPPED CREAM.
>> Shocker, huh.
>> LOL.

> Is it?? <g> I bet it is more expensive than just whipping up your own
> though eh???

It's not very expensive, particularly if you buy it at Costco. I usually
pay perhaps $2 for a can, if that. One can lasts many months. It's far
cheaper per can at Costco and the cans are much larger but we can't use the
three cans (that's how it comes packaged there) in a year.

Fake honey mustard Christopher M.[_3_] General Cooking 33 07-06-2012 05:03 AM
Fake eggs Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 2 11-02-2012 04:26 PM
More Fake Lasagna johnniemccoy@ Diabetic 16 22-05-2007 05:30 AM
Fake lobster burritos kr0 Mexican Cooking 1 27-10-2005 09:25 PM
Are there any good "fake" cheeses out there? [email protected] General Cooking 16 24-10-2004 01:17 AM