Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Classic gums

http://www.candyblog.net/blog/item/classic_gums

Teaberry is a regional name for wintergreen (also known as Canada tea,
which may explain the name of Canada mints which are also wintergreen
flavored).

The D.L. Clark Company used to be a rather large & diverse candy
manufacturer in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania which made both candy bars and
gums starting in 1886. At one point the company was making 150 different
kinds of confections. In 1921 the gum side of the business (which was
made in a separate factory anyway) was spun off into its own company:
Clark Brothers Chewing Gum Company (later shortened to Clark Gum
Company). They were best known for two flavors: Teaberry and Tendermint.

Though Tendermint is no longer produced, Teaberry is still available.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 21, 2015 at 6:21:05 PM UTC-5, Dr. Edward Morbius wrote:
> http://www.candyblog.net/blog/item/classic_gums
>
> Teaberry is a regional name for wintergreen (also known as Canada tea,
> which may explain the name of Canada mints which are also wintergreen
> flavored).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beemans_gum

--Bryan
"You live a dogs [sic] live [sic] with your nose planted in your
wife's crotch."
--Barbara Llorente in rec.food.cooking July 21, 2015
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edward Morbius wrote:
> http://www.candyblog.net/blog/item/classic_gums
>
> Teaberry is a regional name for wintergreen (also known as Canada tea,
> which may explain the name of Canada mints which are also wintergreen
> flavored).

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/...ticle-1.630278
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYV_QvYr0ao
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/22/2015 7:17 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Edward Morbius wrote:
>> http://www.candyblog.net/blog/item/classic_gums
>>
>> Teaberry is a regional name for wintergreen (also known as Canada tea,
>> which may explain the name of Canada mints which are also wintergreen
>> flavored).

> http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/...ticle-1.630278
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYV_QvYr0ao

Wow, a blatant Wrigley packaging ripoff!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 17:20:20 -0600, Dr. Edward Morbius wrote:

> Teaberry is a regional name for wintergreen (also known as Canada tea,
> which may explain the name of Canada mints which are also wintergreen
> flavored).

Wintergreen is one of three flavours combined to yield the "classic" pink
bubble gum flavour. The other two are cassia and vanilla.

--
http://pages.videotron.com/duffym/index.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/22/2015 11:38 AM, Mike Duffy wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 17:20:20 -0600, Dr. Edward Morbius wrote:
>
>> Teaberry is a regional name for wintergreen (also known as Canada tea,
>> which may explain the name of Canada mints which are also wintergreen
>> flavored).

> Wintergreen is one of three flavours combined to yield the "classic" pink
> bubble gum flavour. The other two are cassia and vanilla.

Fascinating!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 17:20:20 -0600, "Dr. Edward Morbius"
> wrote:

>http://www.candyblog.net/blog/item/classic_gums
>
>Teaberry is a regional name for wintergreen (also known as Canada tea,
>which may explain the name of Canada mints which are also wintergreen
>flavored).
>
>The D.L. Clark Company used to be a rather large & diverse candy
>manufacturer in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania which made both candy bars and
>gums starting in 1886. At one point the company was making 150 different
>kinds of confections. In 1921 the gum side of the business (which was
>made in a separate factory anyway) was spun off into its own company:
>Clark Brothers Chewing Gum Company (later shortened to Clark Gum
>Company). They were best known for two flavors: Teaberry and Tendermint.
>
>Though Tendermint is no longer produced, Teaberry is still available.

I was never much of a gum person but I did like the Clark Bar and Zag
Nut bars.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 09:05:44 -0600, "Dr. Edward Morbius"
> wrote:

>On 7/22/2015 7:17 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Edward Morbius wrote:
>>> http://www.candyblog.net/blog/item/classic_gums
>>>
>>> Teaberry is a regional name for wintergreen (also known as Canada tea,
>>> which may explain the name of Canada mints which are also wintergreen
>>> flavored).

>> http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/...ticle-1.630278
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYV_QvYr0ao
>>

>Wow, a blatant Wrigley packaging ripoff!

Arrow versus banner. I wonder how it would play out in court
http://www.wrigley.com/global/brands/spearmint.aspx

Different, but there seems to be an influence.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-07-22 1:57 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Company). They were best known for two flavors: Teaberry and Tendermint.

>> Though Tendermint is no longer produced, Teaberry is still available.

> I was never much of a gum person but I did like the Clark Bar and Zag
> Nut bars.

I used to like Thrills gum. I don't think it was ever available in the
US and American friends used to stock up on it when visiting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 13:38:44 -0400, Mike Duffy
> wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 17:20:20 -0600, Dr. Edward Morbius wrote:
>
>> Teaberry is a regional name for wintergreen (also known as Canada tea,
>> which may explain the name of Canada mints which are also wintergreen
>> flavored).

>Wintergreen is one of three flavours combined to yield the "classic" pink
>bubble gum flavour. The other two are cassia and vanilla.

Wintergreen is/was also used in root beer. Some years ago I spent a
lot of time searching for 'authentic' root beer recipes... what a
minefield that turned out to be, I don't think I saw any two
'authentic' recipes that were the same In the end, I finally found
an extract with the right kind of ingredients (not easy, due to the
'toxic' ingredients) and brewed from that.
Came out wonderful, perfect. I still have half a bottle of that
extract, I should make some more soon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/22/2015 12:06 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 09:05:44 -0600, "Dr. Edward Morbius"
> > wrote:

>>> http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/...ticle-1.630278
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYV_QvYr0ao
>>>

>> Wow, a blatant Wrigley packaging ripoff!

> Arrow versus banner. I wonder how it would play out in court
> http://www.wrigley.com/global/brands/spearmint.aspx
>
> Different, but there seems to be an influence.

I guess their sales were never so much of a threat that it got that far.

Still, solid point. It's darned close.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 16:40:45 -0600, graham > wrote:

>On 22/07/2015 4:07 PM, wrote:
>> On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 13:38:44 -0400, Mike Duffy
>> > wrote:

>>> Wintergreen is one of three flavours combined to yield the "classic" pink
>>> bubble gum flavour. The other two are cassia and vanilla.

>> Wintergreen is/was also used in root beer. Some years ago I spent a
>> lot of time searching for 'authentic' root beer recipes... what a
>> minefield that turned out to be, I don't think I saw any two
>> 'authentic' recipes that were the same In the end, I finally found
>> an extract with the right kind of ingredients (not easy, due to the
>> 'toxic' ingredients) and brewed from that.
>> Came out wonderful, perfect. I still have half a bottle of that
>> extract, I should make some more soon.
>>

>To Brits, wintergreen is associated with a particularly smelly
>embrocation that was commonly used to relieve aches and rheumatic pains.

That's a point - 'wintergreen' is a name used for many different
plants, so care is required with that.

>Therefore, to me, root beer is vile!!

Not me, I love a /good/ root beer, or Sarsaparilla, as it is better
known in Australia. Oh, and a decent ginger beer too.

That said, I don't like any sodas at all (I wouldn't class a root or
ginger beer as a soda myself).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/22/2015 5:03 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2015-07-22 1:57 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> Company). They were best known for two flavors: Teaberry and Tendermint.
>>>
>>> Though Tendermint is no longer produced, Teaberry is still available.

>> I was never much of a gum person but I did like the Clark Bar and Zag
>> Nut bars.

I've always loved Teaberry gum and never realized it was a Clark
product. I grew up a few houses away from the Clark family. They were
a very private family.

When Three Rivers Stadium was still in business we used to park outside
the ballpark and walk several blocks to the ball field. Part of that
walk was past the Clark Candy Co. It was always great fun to smell the
product of the day - either Clark bars or Zagnut bars.

--
DreadfulBitch

I'm not a complete idiot. Some parts are missing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/22/2015 6:06 PM, DreadfulBitch wrote:
> On 7/22/2015 5:03 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2015-07-22 1:57 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> Company). They were best known for two flavors: Teaberry and Tendermint.

>>> I was never much of a gum person but I did like the Clark Bar and Zag
>>> Nut bars.

> I've always loved Teaberry gum and never realized it was a Clark
> product. I grew up a few houses away from the Clark family. They were
> a very private family.
>
> When Three Rivers Stadium was still in business we used to park outside
> the ballpark and walk several blocks to the ball field. Part of that
> walk was past the Clark Candy Co. It was always great fun to smell the
> product of the day - either Clark bars or Zagnut bars.

Ever eat the burgers at Primantis?

Classic vs Not So Classic Banana Pudding Goomba[_2_] General Cooking 18 17-10-2008 02:08 AM
Anyone Looking For LuYu's Tea Classic??? - One Available Now Shen[_2_] Tea 0 10-10-2007 06:11 PM
Classic Bubble Tea International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 03-06-2007 10:42 PM
Classic Pot Pie Duckie ® Recipes 0 06-03-2005 05:15 AM
Raspberry flavoured (Rowntree) fruit gums Matthew Historic 1 08-04-2004 05:03 PM