Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner tonight 7/13/15

I've fired up the smoker to do some country-style pork ribs. The
seasoning is just the basic BBQ rub. I will sauce them near the end
of cooking. We'll also have parsley buttered new potatoes, sour cream
cucumbers and peach pie.
I've poured a bottle of San Miguel (beer) into the liquid container in
the smoker. I've got to use the stuff up. Our neighbor sees my
husband working outside and brings him a 6-pack of San Miguel. Says
he needs it after all that work It's a nice thought. But we don't
really ever drink beer so I have a case of SM. I prefer to use a hard
apple cider, but, what the heck.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 13:37:37 -0600, Janet B >
wrote:

> I've poured a bottle of San Miguel (beer) into the liquid container in
> the smoker. I've got to use the stuff up. Our neighbor sees my
> husband working outside and brings him a 6-pack of San Miguel. Says
> he needs it after all that work It's a nice thought. But we don't
> really ever drink beer so I have a case of SM. I prefer to use a hard
> apple cider, but, what the heck.

Save it for your crockpot this winter. I've tried hard cider, but I
still prefer beer with pork.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I've fired up the smoker to do some country-style pork ribs. The
>seasoning is just the basic BBQ rub. I will sauce them near the end
>of cooking. We'll also have parsley buttered new potatoes, sour cream
>cucumbers and peach pie.

Sour cream cucumbers... I like the sound of that, do you have a
particular recipe for that?

>I've poured a bottle of San Miguel (beer) into the liquid container in
>the smoker. I've got to use the stuff up. Our neighbor sees my
>husband working outside and brings him a 6-pack of San Miguel. Says
>he needs it after all that work It's a nice thought. But we don't
>really ever drink beer so I have a case of SM. I prefer to use a hard
>apple cider, but, what the heck.

Never thought of trying beer or cider in the smoker, interesting.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 07:11:37 +1000, Jeßus >
wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 13:37:37 -0600, Janet B >
>wrote:
>
>>I've fired up the smoker to do some country-style pork ribs. The
>>seasoning is just the basic BBQ rub. I will sauce them near the end
>>of cooking. We'll also have parsley buttered new potatoes, sour cream
>>cucumbers and peach pie.

>Sour cream cucumbers... I like the sound of that, do you have a
>particular recipe for that?
>
>>I've poured a bottle of San Miguel (beer) into the liquid container in
>>the smoker. I've got to use the stuff up. Our neighbor sees my
>>husband working outside and brings him a 6-pack of San Miguel. Says
>>he needs it after all that work It's a nice thought. But we don't
>>really ever drink beer so I have a case of SM. I prefer to use a hard
>>apple cider, but, what the heck.

>Never thought of trying beer or cider in the smoker, interesting.

I hunted around the 'net to find a recipe that is like what I do. I
wing it just as my mother did.

Sour Cream Cucumbers
2 medium cucumbers, thinly sliced
1 small onion, thinly sliced (I use chopped green onions)
1/2 cup dairy sour cream
1 tablespoon vinegar (I use white)
1 teaspoon sugar
pepper to taste
salt to taste

Slice cucumbers into a bowl. Sprinkle some salt over the cucumbers,
cover and place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, up to
overnight. Remove cucumbers from bowl and drain. (My mother and I
always wring them out by hand)
Stir together sour cream, vinegar and sugar. Mix with cucumbers and
onion. Taste to see if it needs more salt.

There is also a more Scandinavian version.

Cucumbers in Sour Cream
3 cups sliced cucumbers
salt
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill or 2 tablespoon dill weed
1 cup dairy sour cream
Sprinkle cucumbers with salt. Let stand 30 minutes. Pat dry with
paper towels. Stir dill into sour cream. Add cucumbers; mix well.

Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 16:52:00 -0600, Janet B >
wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 07:11:37 +1000, Jeßus >
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 13:37:37 -0600, Janet B >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I've fired up the smoker to do some country-style pork ribs. The
>>>seasoning is just the basic BBQ rub. I will sauce them near the end
>>>of cooking. We'll also have parsley buttered new potatoes, sour cream
>>>cucumbers and peach pie.

>>Sour cream cucumbers... I like the sound of that, do you have a
>>particular recipe for that?
>>
>>>I've poured a bottle of San Miguel (beer) into the liquid container in
>>>the smoker. I've got to use the stuff up. Our neighbor sees my
>>>husband working outside and brings him a 6-pack of San Miguel. Says
>>>he needs it after all that work It's a nice thought. But we don't
>>>really ever drink beer so I have a case of SM. I prefer to use a hard
>>>apple cider, but, what the heck.

>>Never thought of trying beer or cider in the smoker, interesting.

>I hunted around the 'net to find a recipe that is like what I do. I
>wing it just as my mother did.
>
>Sour Cream Cucumbers
>2 medium cucumbers, thinly sliced
>1 small onion, thinly sliced (I use chopped green onions)
>1/2 cup dairy sour cream
>1 tablespoon vinegar (I use white)
>1 teaspoon sugar
>pepper to taste
>salt to taste
>
>Slice cucumbers into a bowl. Sprinkle some salt over the cucumbers,
>cover and place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, up to
>overnight. Remove cucumbers from bowl and drain. (My mother and I
>always wring them out by hand)
>Stir together sour cream, vinegar and sugar. Mix with cucumbers and
>onion. Taste to see if it needs more salt.
>
>There is also a more Scandinavian version.
>
>Cucumbers in Sour Cream
>3 cups sliced cucumbers
>salt
>1/4 cup chopped fresh dill or 2 tablespoon dill weed
>1 cup dairy sour cream
>Sprinkle cucumbers with salt. Let stand 30 minutes. Pat dry with
>paper towels. Stir dill into sour cream. Add cucumbers; mix well.

Thanks very much Janet, I know I'll like this just by the ingredients.
I'll save these and give them a try soon... just need the cucumbers,
dill and some green onions, which is on my shopping list now. Good to
have something different to try next week once I go shopping
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Jul 2015 06:43:30 +1000, Jeßus >
wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 16:52:00 -0600, Janet B >
>wro

snip

>Thanks very much Janet, I know I'll like this just by the ingredients.
>I'll save these and give them a try soon... just need the cucumbers,
>dill and some green onions, which is on my shopping list now. Good to
>have something different to try next week once I go shopping

You're very welcome!
Janet US