Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT California

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 5/24/2015 12:40 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>
>> "William" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> They may need to build massive desalinization plants on the California
>>> coast to supply water for human consumption or shut California down.
>>> Can you imagine "the water police" from the People's Republic of
>>> California timing your shower not to exceed two (2) minutes?
>>>
>>> William

>> You shut CA down, you shoot the rest of the country in the foot since CA
>> supplies a whole lot of food for the rest of the country. Yes, I can
>> imagine it, they are asking people to take military type showers
>> already, no more than 5 minutes start to finish, get wet, soap up, rinse
>> off.
>>
>> Cheri
>>

> Hmmm, I seem to remember my dad calling it the three S's. S***, shower
> and shave. And it was under 5 minutes.
>
> Jill

Was he also shaving his legs and armpits in that time? :-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2015 12:48 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message

>>> Oh dear

>> Ophelia, relax. He's massively overestimated the food issues for
>> example. It could be people in *California* (southern part) might get
>> more food from south of them but the only real effect will be the big
>> wine industry, yet most grapes are pretty tolerant of drought,
>> producing simply less grapes.
>>
>> California does have the biggest ticket sales but that is becsause they
>> export most of it as in fancy stuff you might find on your shelves.
>> It's not an never has been a breadbasket of the USA. Not a single
>> product grown there in any quantity hits our top 10 food exports for
>> example.
>>
>> I'm not saying it isnt serious, but neither they nor we will go hungry
>> over California's drought.

> It sounds pretty serious to me

It is:

http://www.slate.com/articles/health...t_without.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2015 12:49 PM, Janet B wrote:
> On Sun, 24 May 2015 09:39:02 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 24 May 2015 17:08:09 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Are there many posters here from California? I haven't heard anyone
>>> speaking about it. Are you not all very worried?

>> Of course we're worried, but we're hoping for a wet winter.

> Be careful what you wish for. . .look what has happened to the drought
> in Texas. Boats, anyone?
> Janet US

Harshly enough that is precisely what it takes to break the back of a
drought.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-05-24, taxed and spent > wrote:

> We need to be putting more away for those non-rainy days.

They can't fill the dams/resevoirs/aquifers they already have!

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2015 12:49 PM, sf wrote:
> On 24 May 2015 17:33:04 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>>> Where would the pipeline come from? Is there enough water in a
>>> reasonable distance? If so, it would be a smart idea.

>> Ed, I can understand your not knowing CA history, but sf has zero excuse.
>> In fact, sf gets her water from Hetch-Hetchy, which is 170 miles away.
>> How does she think that pristine Sierra snow water gets all the way to
>> San Fransico? By taxi!?
>>

> So glad your basic knowledge of water in California tells you that
> what's true for San Francisco is true for the entire state of
> California. Perhaps you can explain why there's a water crisis if
> everything is so peach keen.
>
>> SoCal (Southern California) has been robbing the rest of the state
>> blind for water for decades. Pipelines are entirely too small.
>> Check out the California Aquaduct:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/lkuv8kc
>>
>> These canals are typically 100 ft wide (at surface) and 30 ft deep.
>> These water wars, which make up the biggest point of contention in
>> NorCal and SoCal politics, have been going on for decades. Even as
>> far back as the 19th century.
>>

> Which doesn't mitigate the current water crisis in the slightest.
> Perhaps you can also note that they've sucked the California end of
> the Colorado river dry and are working on the aquifers.
>
> In the mean time, there you are sitting on your mountain top in
> Colorado, next to a raging river, constantly complaining about
> California.

Ever read the Colorado River Compact?

Colorado is obligated to deliver as are the other western states
signatory to it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_River_Compact

The compact divides the river basin into two areas, the Upper Division
(comprising Colorado, New Mexico, Utah and Wyoming) and the Lower
Division (Nevada, Arizona and California). The compact requires the
Upper Basin states not to deplete the flow of the river below 7,500,000
acre feet (9.3 km3) during any period of ten consecutive years. Based on
rainfall patterns observed in the years before the treaty's signing in
1922, the amount specified in the compact was assumed to allow a roughly
equal division of water between the two regions. The states within each
basin were required to divide their 7,500,000-acre (30,000 km2) foot per
year (289 m³/s) share allotment among themselves. The compact enabled
the widespread irrigation of the Southwest, as well as the subsequent
development of state and federal water works projects under the United
States Bureau of Reclamation. Such projects included the Hoover Dam and
Lake Powell.

The current specific annual allotments in the Lower Basin were
established in 1928 as part of the Boulder Canyon Project, while the
current specific annual allotments in the Upper Basin were established
by the Upper Colorado River Basin Compact of 1948.[2] They a
Upper Basin, 7.5 million acre·ft/year (293 m³/s) total
Colorado 51.75%* 3.86 million acre·ft/year (150.7 m³/s)
Utah 23.00%* 1.71 million acre·ft/year (67.0 m³/s)
Wyoming 14.00%* 1.04 million acre·ft/year (40.8 m³/s)
New Mexico 11.25%* 0.84 million acre·ft/year (32.8 m³/s)
Arizona 0.70% 0.05 million acre·ft/year (2.0 m³/s)
*Percentages with a star are a percentage of the total after Arizona's
0.05 million are deducted. Arizona's percentage is of the total.
Lower Basin, 7.5 million acre·ft/year (293 m³/s) total
California 58.70% 4.40 million acre·ft/year (172 m³/s)
Arizona 37.30% 2.80 million acre·ft/year (109 m³/s)
Nevada 4.00% 0.30 million acre·ft/year (12 m³/s)

Kind of unfortunate it was crafted during record wet years, no?

If the upper states have drought at some point they could end up being
compelled to send ALL their water downstream to meet the quotas set in
those wet years.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2015 12:52 PM, Janet B wrote:
> On Sun, 24 May 2015 09:37:58 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 24 May 2015 16:39:10 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:

>>> So if there will be no water in the reservoirs, where will your water come
>>> from?

>> There's no talk of a water pipeline yet. Oil gets lots of pipelines,
>> water gets none.

> who were you wanting to take the water from?
> Janet US

Shatner says Seattle.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2015 1:11 PM, taxed and spent wrote:
> > wrote in message

>>> But I still have not heard any talk about adding storage capacity or
>>> groundwater replenishment basins, for the times we do have rain.

>> Similarly, I haven't heard my wife talking about buying a safe for the
>> jewelry she expects to buy after she wins the lottery.

> That is a bit different, isn't it. Years with heavy rains are quite
> frequent. We need to be putting more away for those non-rainy days.

That is precisely what desert states are doing with groundwater
injection - water banking!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 11:10:44 AM UTC-7, cshenk wrote:
> Paul M. Cook wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

> > "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> > > I have noticed several people here mention California. We have had
> > > a lot of stuff on tv about the lack of water there. We were shown
> > > the huge reservoirs with very little water in them. They were
> > > showing how people with lush grass and full swimming pools were
> > > being demonised.
> > >
> > > Is anyone here affected? It sounds very frightening!

> > Everyone in CA is affected. And since CA grows half the country's
> > food, half the country is affected as well. My town is ordering a
> > 35% cutback on water use with fines for offenders. NASA says this is
> > the last year we will have water in the reservoirs. So next year we
> > should be in full anarchy mode I expect. Fox News blames it on
> > illegal immigrants.
> >

> Paul, major correction. California grows maybe 5% of our food. It's
> only a major cropper of some items and those can be grown elsewhere.

Mexico, Turkey, Iran, and Spain. Milk will be flown in daily from
Wisconsin.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>> Paul M. Cook wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> Everyone in CA is affected. And since CA grows half the country's
>>> food, half the country is affected as well. My town is ordering a
>>> 35% cutback on water use with fines for offenders. NASA says this is
>>> the last year we will have water in the reservoirs. So next year we
>>> should be in full anarchy mode I expect. Fox News blames it on
>>> illegal immigrants.
>>>

>>> ---

>> Paul, major correction. California grows maybe 5% of our food. It's
>> only a major cropper of some items and those can be grown elsewhere.

> Food Facts
>
> California has been the number one food and agricultural producer in the
> United States for more than 50 consecutive years.
>
> More than half the nation's fruit, nuts, and vegetables come from here.
>
> California is the nation's number one dairy state.
>
> California's leading commodity is milk and cream. Grapes are second.
>
> California's leading export crop is almonds.
>
> Nationally, products exclusively grown (99% or more) in California include
> almonds, artichokes, dates, figs, kiwifruit, olives, persimmons,
> pistachios, prunes, raisins, clovers, and walnuts.
>
> From 70 to 80% of all ripe olives are grown in California.
>
> California is the nation's leading producer of strawberries, averaging 1.4
> billion pounds of strawberries or 83% of the country's total fresh and
> frozen strawberry production. Approximately 12% of the crop is exported to
> Canada, Mexico, United Kingdom, Hong Kong and Japan primarily. The value
> of the California strawberry crop is approximately $700 million with
> related employment of more than 48,000 people.
>
> California produces 25% of the nation's onions and 43% of the nation's
> green onions.

Now THAT is no small production!! I suspect much of that could be at risk if
this water problem is not resolved!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 5/24/2015 12:40 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>
>> "William" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> They may need to build massive desalinization plants on the California
>>> coast to supply water for human consumption or shut California down.
>>> Can you imagine "the water police" from the People's Republic of
>>> California timing your shower not to exceed two (2) minutes?
>>>
>>> William

>> You shut CA down, you shoot the rest of the country in the foot since CA
>> supplies a whole lot of food for the rest of the country. Yes, I can
>> imagine it, they are asking people to take military type showers
>> already, no more than 5 minutes start to finish, get wet, soap up, rinse
>> off.
>>
>> Cheri
>>

> Hmmm, I seem to remember my dad calling it the three S's. S***, shower
> and shave. And it was under 5 minutes.

It was 15 minutes. 0 dark 30 to 04:45

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2015 3:19 PM, Cheri wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> On 5/24/2015 12:40 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>>
>>> "William" > wrote in message
>>> news >>>> On Sun, 24 May 2015 11:32:35 +0100, "Ophelia" >

>>> You shut CA down, you shoot the rest of the country in the foot since CA
>>> supplies a whole lot of food for the rest of the country. Yes, I can
>>> imagine it, they are asking people to take military type showers
>>> already, no more than 5 minutes start to finish, get wet, soap up, rinse
>>> off.
>>>
>>> Cheri
>>>

>> Hmmm, I seem to remember my dad calling it the three S's. S***,
>> shower and shave. And it was under 5 minutes.
>>
>> Jill

> Was he also shaving his legs and armpits in that time? :-)
>
> Cheri

LOL nope. AFAIK Marines didn't shave their legs or armpits. I don't
think they shaved their chests either.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2015 3:17 PM, Cheri wrote:

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> Ophelia, relax. He's massively overestimated the food issues for
>>> example. It could be people in *California* (southern part) might get
>>> more food from south of them but the only real effect will be the big
>>> wine industry, yet most grapes are pretty tolerant of drought,
>>> producing simply less grapes.
>>>
>>> California does have the biggest ticket sales but that is becsause they
>>> export most of it as in fancy stuff you might find on your shelves.
>>> It's not an never has been a breadbasket of the USA. Not a single
>>> product grown there in any quantity hits our top 10 food exports for
>>> example.
>>>
>>> I'm not saying it isnt serious, but neither they nor we will go hungry
>>> over California's drought.

>> It sounds pretty serious to me

> It is, but not to people who don't live here. It all depends on whose ox
> is getting gored in these cases.
>
> Cheri

I'm pretty sure I'll pay a higher price for things that aren't grown
here in SC, like avocados and artichokes.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

>>> Especially since they were releasing all tha water from dams a couple of
>>> years ago. Idiots.

>> Without water flowing to the sea you get dry rivers and salt water
>> polluted deltas. You cannot have an excosystem without flowing water.
>> Damning every drop just makes the problem very much worse. A great many
>> creatures besides humans need that water, too. And unlike humans they
>> cannot do with less.

> No one said they should dam every drop, but excess releasing is bad, which
> they did admit.

Excess is what industry called it. People like my sister who worked as a
scientist with DWR for 15 years said it was not nearly enough to sustain the
delta.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> Ophelia, relax. He's massively overestimated the food issues for
>>> example. It could be people in *California* (southern part) might get
>>> more food from south of them but the only real effect will be the big
>>> wine industry, yet most grapes are pretty tolerant of drought,
>>> producing simply less grapes.
>>>
>>> California does have the biggest ticket sales but that is becsause they
>>> export most of it as in fancy stuff you might find on your shelves.
>>> It's not an never has been a breadbasket of the USA. Not a single
>>> product grown there in any quantity hits our top 10 food exports for
>>> example.
>>>
>>> I'm not saying it isnt serious, but neither they nor we will go hungry
>>> over California's drought.

>> It sounds pretty serious to me

> It is, but not to people who don't live here. It all depends on whose ox
> is getting gored in these cases.

Quite and it is ill-advised to belittle it.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet B" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 24 May 2015 09:37:58 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 24 May 2015 16:39:10 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>>wrote:

>>> So if there will be no water in the reservoirs, where will your water
>>> come
>>> from?

>>There's no talk of a water pipeline yet. Oil gets lots of pipelines,
>>water gets none.

> who were you wanting to take the water from?

Time to invade Canada. We will be greeted as liberators and the cost of the
war will pay for itself with water revenues.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet B" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 24 May 2015 09:39:02 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 24 May 2015 17:08:09 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>>wrote:
>>
>>> Are there many posters here from California? I haven't heard anyone
>>> speaking about it. Are you not all very worried?

>>Of course we're worried, but we're hoping for a wet winter.

> Be careful what you wish for. . .look what has happened to the drought
> in Texas. Boats, anyone?
> Janet US

We get most of our water from winter snowpack. So no flooding problems.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 5/24/2015 3:19 PM, Cheri wrote:

>>> Hmmm, I seem to remember my dad calling it the three S's. S***,
>>> shower and shave. And it was under 5 minutes.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Was he also shaving his legs and armpits in that time? :-)
>>
>> Cheri

> LOL nope. AFAIK Marines didn't shave their legs or armpits. I don't
> think they shaved their chests either.

The female Marines do and I am pretty sure they shave their chests as well.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2015 3:43 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Cheri" > wrote in message

>>> It sounds pretty serious to me

>> It is, but not to people who don't live here. It all depends on whose
>> ox is getting gored in these cases.

> Quite and it is ill-advised to belittle it.

I haven't seen anyone belittling the drought. Seems to me they had
similar conditions last year. That makes it even more serious now, for
farmers in particular and people who depend on California for food.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"taxed and spent" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message

>>> But I still have not heard any talk about adding storage capacity or
>>> groundwater replenishment basins, for the times we do have rain.

>> Similarly, I haven't heard my wife talking about buying a safe for the
>> jewelry she expects to buy after she wins the lottery.

> That is a bit different, isn't it. Years with heavy rains are quite
> frequent. We need to be putting more away for those non-rainy days.

That would take tax money.

We have enough damns and reservoirs., What do you think has kept us going?
This is year 4 of extreme drought. Just how much capacity can you plan for?

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 3:32:44 AM UTC-7, Ophelia wrote:
>> I have noticed several people here mention California. We have had a lot
>> of
>> stuff on tv about the lack of water there. We were shown the huge
>> reservoirs with very little water in them. They were showing how people
>> with lush grass and full swimming pools were being demonised.
>>
>> Is anyone here affected? It sounds very frightening!

> While people want to demonize the almond, the water it takes to grow
> one is the same as what's used to flush away a wee.

Mosty of the nuts are sold to China. Most of the nut farms are owned by
Wall Street investment companies. So Wall Street is exacerbating the
problem by planing thousand sof new acres with nut trees to increase their
profits.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
>> On Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 3:32:44 AM UTC-7, Ophelia wrote:
>>> I have noticed several people here mention California. We have had a
>>> lot
>>> of
>>> stuff on tv about the lack of water there. We were shown the huge
>>> reservoirs with very little water in them. They were showing how people
>>> with lush grass and full swimming pools were being demonised.
>>>
>>> Is anyone here affected? It sounds very frightening!

>> While people want to demonize the almond, the water it takes to grow
>> one is the same as what's used to flush away a wee.

> I love almonds. I am not sure why anyone would demonise them?

When it takes 20 gallons of water to grow one and you are in the middle (or
beginning) of an epic droiught it makes for an easy target.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 1:06:28 PM UTC-7, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> >

> > > wrote in message

> >> While people want to demonize the almond, the water it takes to grow
> >> one is the same as what's used to flush away a wee.

> > I love almonds. I am not sure why anyone would demonise them?
> >

> When it takes 20 gallons of water to grow one and you are in the middle (or
> beginning) of an epic droiught it makes for an easy target.

It takes one gallon of water to grow an almond, but 3.3 gallons of water
to grow a tomato. Almonds sell at a premium compared to tomatoes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> > wrote in message

>>> While people want to demonize the almond, the water it takes to grow
>>> one is the same as what's used to flush away a wee.

>> I love almonds. I am not sure why anyone would demonise them?
>>

> When it takes 20 gallons of water to grow one and you are in the middle
> (or beginning) of an epic droiught it makes for an easy target.

Ok!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 12:23:25 PM UTC-6, graham wrote:
> On 24/05/2015 10:40 AM, Cheri wrote:
> >
> > "William" > wrote in message
> > news

> >> They may need to build massive desalinization plants on the California
> >> coast to supply water for human consumption or shut California down.
> >> Can you imagine "the water police" from the People's Republic of
> >> California timing your shower not to exceed two (2) minutes?
> >>
> >> William

> > You shut CA down, you shoot the rest of the country in the foot since CA
> > supplies a whole lot of food for the rest of the country. Yes, I can
> > imagine it, they are asking people to take military type showers
> > already, no more than 5 minutes start to finish, get wet, soap up, rinse
> > off.
> >
> > Cheri
> >

> 5 minutes is generous. I can shower in 3!
> Save water - Shower with a friend!
> Graham
> --

I tried that shower with a friend thing but my GF kept getting all the water
and I was too distracted to worry about it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 12:23:25 PM UTC-6, graham wrote:
>> On 24/05/2015 10:40 AM, Cheri wrote:
>> >
>> > "William" > wrote in message
>> > news >> >> On Sun, 24 May 2015 11:32:35 +0100, "Ophelia" >

>> > You shut CA down, you shoot the rest of the country in the foot since
>> > CA
>> > supplies a whole lot of food for the rest of the country. Yes, I can
>> > imagine it, they are asking people to take military type showers
>> > already, no more than 5 minutes start to finish, get wet, soap up,
>> > rinse
>> > off.
>> >
>> > Cheri
>> >

>> 5 minutes is generous. I can shower in 3!
>> Save water - Shower with a friend!
>> Graham
>> --

> I tried that shower with a friend thing but my GF kept getting all the
> water
> and I was too distracted to worry about it.

lol

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 May 2015 12:45:24 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

>"Janet B" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 24 May 2015 09:39:02 -0700, sf > wrote:

>>>Of course we're worried, but we're hoping for a wet winter.

>> Be careful what you wish for. . .look what has happened to the drought
>> in Texas. Boats, anyone?
>> Janet US

>We get most of our water from winter snowpack. So no flooding problems.

I was really thinking of torrential rain hitting your burned-off,
fragile hillsides.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 May 2015 13:25:22 -0600, Cabrito del Bosque
> wrote:
>

> Ever read the Colorado River Compact?

No. But I'm not claiming it's a good thing either.

> Colorado is obligated to deliver as are the other western states
> signatory to it.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_River_Compact

People shouldn't be living in the desert and expecting to live as if
they were still in the NE/NW sections of the country.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 May 2015 11:42:27 -0600, Cabrito del Bosque
> wrote:

> On 5/24/2015 10:58 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > On 5/24/2015 12:37 PM, sf wrote:
> >

> >> There's no talk of a water pipeline yet. Oil gets lots of pipelines,
> >> water gets none.
> >>

> > Where would the pipeline come from? Is there enough water in a
> > reasonable distance? If so, it would be a smart idea.

> Shatner thinks so.
>
> Seattle may differ.

I'm thinking Great Lakes region, Canada... places with plenty of water
that are willing to exchange it for money. Just like oil is now.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 May 2015 13:11:47 -0600, Cabrito del Bosque
> wrote:

> On 5/24/2015 12:42 PM, sf wrote:

> >> Where would the pipeline come from? Is there enough water in a
> >> reasonable distance? If so, it would be a smart idea.

> > Who needs a reasonable distance?

> Investors?
>
> > If oil can be piped from Mid-Canada
> > to the Gulf coast then water can go that distance too.

> Bbbbbbut...Keystone XL was denied!

A water leak won't contaminate the aquifer beneath it!

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 May 2015 11:37:55 -0600, Cabrito del Bosque
> wrote:

> On 5/24/2015 10:37 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Sun, 24 May 2015 16:39:10 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> > wrote:

> >> So if there will be no water in the reservoirs, where will your water come
> >> from?

> > There's no talk of a water pipeline yet. Oil gets lots of pipelines,
> > water gets none.
> >

> Um, ekshually:
>
> http://www.cbsnews.com/news/william-...to-california/
>
> William Shatner to launch $30 billion Kickstarter campaign for water
> pipeline to California
>
> William Shatner wants to turn to crowdfunding to build a water pipeline
> from Seattle to Nevada's Lake Mead to fix California's drought.
>
> Shatner, 84, revealed the news in a Yahoo! interview, saying, "So I'm
> starting a Kickstarter campaign. I want $30 billion...to build a
> pipeline like the Alaska pipeline. Say, from Seattle -- a place where
> there's a lot of water. There's too much water. How bad would it be to
> get a large, 4-foot pipeline, keep it aboveground -- because if it
> leaks, you're irrigating!"

Why pick Seattle? I wouldn't pick such a populated area.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 May 2015 12:52:53 -0600, Janet B >
wrote:

> On Sun, 24 May 2015 09:37:58 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 24 May 2015 16:39:10 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> >wrote:

> >> So if there will be no water in the reservoirs, where will your water come
> >> from?

> >There's no talk of a water pipeline yet. Oil gets lots of pipelines,
> >water gets none.

> who were you wanting to take the water from?

Not "take", buy. Answered in a previous post.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 May 2015 15:53:12 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

snip

>I haven't seen anyone belittling the drought. Seems to me they had
>similar conditions last year. That makes it even more serious now, for
>farmers in particular and people who depend on California for food.
>
>Jill

Then there are all the laborers out of farming work, trucking
business no longer carrying produce (ditto airlines), trucker's
families without income, companies that depend on various fruits and
vegetables for drying, canning, freezing, and the list goes on. As
was said elsewhere, there is no free lunch. To say it only affects
California is shallow thinking.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 May 2015 13:26:02 -0600, Cabrito del Bosque
> wrote:

> On 5/24/2015 12:52 PM, Janet B wrote:
> > On Sun, 24 May 2015 09:37:58 -0700, sf > wrote:

> >> There's no talk of a water pipeline yet. Oil gets lots of pipelines,
> >> water gets none.

> > who were you wanting to take the water from?
> > Janet US
> >

> Shatner says Seattle.

Odd choice.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 May 2015 12:43:58 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

> Time to invade Canada. We will be greeted as liberators and the cost of the
> war will pay for itself with water revenues.

Nestlé can build the water pipeline.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 May 2015 11:34:45 -0600, Cabrito del Bosque
> wrote:

> On 5/24/2015 10:32 AM, notbob wrote:
> > On 2015-05-24, William > wrote:
> >
> >> They may need to build massive desalinization plants on the California

> > Not the sharpest knife in the drawer, are you.
> >
> > nb
> >

> http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0N601V20150415

Why not use the desalinized water for agriculture?

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2015-05-24, taxed and spent > wrote:
>

>> We need to be putting more away for those non-rainy days.

> They can't fill the dams/resevoirs/aquifers they already have!
>
> nb

we fill them up in the rainy years and save the water for a rainless period.

Our last big drought had Lake Shasta at very low levels. "They" said it
would take ten years to fill is back up. The first wet winter was not even
finished before water was spilling over the top.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "taxed and spent" > wrote in message
>>
>> > wrote in message

>>> Similarly, I haven't heard my wife talking about buying a safe for the
>>> jewelry she expects to buy after she wins the lottery.

>> That is a bit different, isn't it. Years with heavy rains are quite
>> frequent. We need to be putting more away for those non-rainy days.

> That would take tax money.
>
> We have enough damns and reservoirs., What do you think has kept us
> going? This is year 4 of extreme drought. Just how much capacity can you
> plan for?

since a four year drought is pretty common here in California, and we have
tripled our population without adding any more storage capacity, I would say
we need more storage.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Janet B" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 24 May 2015 09:39:02 -0700, sf > wrote:

>>>Of course we're worried, but we're hoping for a wet winter.

>> Be careful what you wish for. . .look what has happened to the drought
>> in Texas. Boats, anyone?
>> Janet US

> We get most of our water from winter snowpack. So no flooding problems.

Tell that to the people along the San Joaquin and Sacramento rivers, when we
get a nice warm patch melting the snow, and then a nice pineapple express
dumping lots of warm rain on top of it all.