Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Return of "Cream Of" Soups: Broccoli & Cauliflower Cheese

Dang, I took another picture.

http://i62.tinypic.com/biqk5h.jpg

It's not cold where I live, no snow either. But it's always soup
weather!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Dang, I took another picture.
>
> http://i62.tinypic.com/biqk5h.jpg
>
> It's not cold where I live, no snow either. But it's always soup weather!
>

> Jill

That looks very good.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 22:11:13 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>Dang, I took another picture.
>
>http://i62.tinypic.com/biqk5h.jpg
>
>It's not cold where I live, no snow either. But it's always soup
>weather!
>
>Jill

That looks delicious.

koko

James Beard
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Dang, I took another picture.
>
>http://i62.tinypic.com/biqk5h.jpg
>
>It's not cold where I live, no snow either. But it's always soup
>weather!

Looks very nice. I love cauliflower but not so much broccoli in soups,
the latter develops a bitterness when it is cooked for a long time...
or maybe I cook it for too long?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> Dang, I took another picture.
>
> http://i62.tinypic.com/biqk5h.jpg
>
> It's not cold where I live, no snow either. But it's always soup
> weather!

Very nice looking!

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Dang, I took another picture.
>
> http://i62.tinypic.com/biqk5h.jpg

That looks very *right*, Jill.
Got a recipe for it or something close if you winged it?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-01-28, jmcquown > wrote:

> It's not cold where I live, no snow either. But it's always soup
> weather!

Only if you have AC!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/28/2015 6:23 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Dang, I took another picture.
>>
>> http://i62.tinypic.com/biqk5h.jpg

> That looks very *right*, Jill.
> Got a recipe for it or something close if you winged it?

Couldn't be easier. Steam the vegetables and set aside. Make a white
sauce (I used half & half, not milk). Throw in handfuls <G> of shredded
cheddar cheese (I used sharp cheddar). Stir in the veggies and heat
through. Adjust for salt & pepper (it only needed pepper).

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 11:04:59 AM UTC-6, jmcquown wrote:

> Make a white sauce (I used half & half, not milk).

One should always use half&half unless one has allowed oneself to run
out of half&half.

> Jill

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/28/2015 8:49 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2015-01-28, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> It's not cold where I live, no snow either. But it's always soup
>> weather!

> Only if you have AC!

That's a given. Spring and Fall are nice because I can open the
windows and be comfortable for a few weeks.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-01-28, jmcquown > wrote:

> Couldn't be easier. Steam the vegetables and set aside. Make a white
> sauce (I used half & half, not milk). Throw in handfuls <G> of shredded
> cheddar cheese (I used sharp cheddar). Stir in the veggies and heat
> through. Adjust for salt & pepper (it only needed pepper).

I love what you are doing. Wanna make it taste a bit better?

You say you used a "white sauce". Have you tried it with a real Fr
Béchamel sauce? That's a white sauce with jes a touch of Gruyere
cheese, wht wine, and nutmeg. I made it for my mac n' cheese. Tasted
a bit white wine-ish as a straight sauce, but turned out mega
excellent in the end mac/cheese dish.

jes cookin'
nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/28/2015 1:05 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2015-01-28, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> Couldn't be easier. Steam the vegetables and set aside. Make a white
>> sauce (I used half & half, not milk). Throw in handfuls <G> of shredded
>> cheddar cheese (I used sharp cheddar). Stir in the veggies and heat
>> through. Adjust for salt & pepper (it only needed pepper).

> I love what you are doing. Wanna make it taste a bit better?
>
> You say you used a "white sauce". Have you tried it with a real Fr
> Béchamel sauce? That's a white sauce with jes a touch of Gruyere
> cheese, wht wine, and nutmeg. I made it for my mac n' cheese. Tasted
> a bit white wine-ish as a straight sauce, but turned out mega
> excellent in the end mac/cheese dish.
>
> jes cookin'
> nb

Nope, I haven't. But then I don't usually have Gruyere cheese in the house.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-01-28 1:03 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> That's a given. Spring and Fall are nice because I can open the
> windows and be comfortable for a few weeks.

I am quite comfortable with my widows open from May through to October.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/28/2015 2:50 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2015-01-28 1:03 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> That's a given. Spring and Fall are nice because I can open the
>> windows and be comfortable for a few weeks.

> I am quite comfortable with my widows open from May through to October.

I'm sure you are. It starts getting warm here in April, maybe May,
and is pretty much humid, hot and uncomfortable through October. I
still make soup because yes, I have AC. I can't deal with extreme heat.
I do make and eat soup year round.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-01-28 2:58 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> That's a given. Spring and Fall are nice because I can open the
>>> windows and be comfortable for a few weeks.

>> I am quite comfortable with my widows open from May through to October.
>>

> I'm sure you are. It starts getting warm here in April, maybe May,
> and is pretty much humid, hot and uncomfortable through October. I
> still make soup because yes, I have AC. I can't deal with extreme heat.
> I do make and eat soup year round.

Thank goodness we don't have extreme cold here. It hovers in the 15-35F
range most of the winter, rarely getting down to 0F. We think of it as
a heat wave when it gets into the 80s. When it hits 90 they issue heat
advisories.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 9:04:59 AM UTC-8, jmcquown wrote:
> On 1/28/2015 6:23 AM, Gary wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:
> >>
> >> Dang, I took another picture.
> >>
> >> http://i62.tinypic.com/biqk5h.jpg

> > That looks very *right*, Jill.
> > Got a recipe for it or something close if you winged it?
> >

> Couldn't be easier. Steam the vegetables and set aside. Make a white
> sauce (I used half & half, not milk). Throw in handfuls <G> of shredded
> cheddar cheese (I used sharp cheddar). Stir in the veggies and heat
> through. Adjust for salt & pepper (it only needed pepper).
>
> Jill

Your recipe is less involved than mine. We made this soup in 5 gallon batches for the restaurant. It was one of the customers favorites.

http://www.hizzoners.com/index.php/r...-a-cheese-soup

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/28/2015 4:12 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 9:04:59 AM UTC-8, jmcquown wrote:

>>> That looks very *right*, Jill.
>>> Got a recipe for it or something close if you winged it?
>>>

>> Couldn't be easier. Steam the vegetables and set aside. Make a white
>> sauce (I used half & half, not milk). Throw in handfuls <G> of shredded
>> cheddar cheese (I used sharp cheddar). Stir in the veggies and heat
>> through. Adjust for salt & pepper (it only needed pepper).
>>
>> Jill

> Your recipe is less involved than mine. We made this soup in 5 gallon batches for the restaurant. It was one of the customers favorites.
>
> http://www.hizzoners.com/index.php/r...-a-cheese-soup

Less involved is exactly what I was going for.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 10:11:25 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
> Dang, I took another picture.
>
> http://i62.tinypic.com/biqk5h.jpg
>
> It's not cold where I live, no snow either. But it's always soup
> weather!
>
> Jill

It looks good Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 9, 2015 at 12:43:49 PM UTC-5, Jim Martin wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 10:11:25 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
> > Dang, I took another picture.
> >
> > http://i62.tinypic.com/biqk5h.jpg
> >
> > It's not cold where I live, no snow either. But it's always soup
> > weather!
> >
> > Jill

> It looks good Jill

Here is a very simple version of my Broccoli Cauliflower Cheese soup. Ragu Cheese sauce makes it a snap to prepare.

1 head broccoli cut into flowerets
1 head cauliflower cut into flowerets
1 large onion chopped
2 (16-ounce) jars Ragu Double Cheddar cheese sauce rinse out with a 1/3 of water
1 (16-ounce) jar` Ragu alfredo sauce rinse out with a 1/3 of water
water not measured. see below
1 cup Real bacon bits

Check out my website for some pictures and directions:

http://jim-enterprises.com/my-favori...er-cheese-soup

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 3:12:20 PM UTC-6, ImStillMags wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 9:04:59 AM UTC-8, jmcquown wrote:

> > > That looks very *right*, Jill.
> > > Got a recipe for it or something close if you winged it?
> > >

> > Couldn't be easier. Steam the vegetables and set aside. Make a white
> > sauce (I used half & half, not milk). Throw in handfuls <G> of shredded
> > cheddar cheese (I used sharp cheddar). Stir in the veggies and heat
> > through. Adjust for salt & pepper (it only needed pepper).
> >
> > Jill

> Your recipe is less involved than mine. We made this soup in 5 gallon batches for the restaurant. It was one of the customers favorites.
>
> http://www.hizzoners.com/index.php/r...-a-cheese-soup

While that does look a lot like vomit, I bet that it doesn't smell quite as
bad as vomit.

--Bryan