Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default AB5MD hints?

I've been having fun with" Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day".
However, as I read other sources, I'm picking up hints, like mixing
all the dry together, then gradually adding water to get the ideal
consistency (otherwise i end up with a sticky mess) or just recently,
adding a small amout of powered milk to slow down the getting-stale
process. and the most useful that 6 1/2 C= 2#.

Wonder if you've found other hints that you found useful? - Mike
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 13:10:00 -0500, Gary > wrote:

> I just switched to premade ginger snaps. Works for me.

I've been thinking about gingersnaps with pumpkin or lemon meringue
pie. Haven't tried either yet.

1½ cups cookie crumbs, no sugar, 1/4 cup melted butter

Have you ever eaten Lemon Chiffon Pie? Me either, but there's no
cooking! The filling has gelatin in it.
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...p-Crust-235364

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 13:10:00 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>

>> I just switched to premade ginger snaps. Works for me.

> I've been thinking about gingersnaps with pumpkin or lemon meringue
> pie. Haven't tried either yet.
>
> 1½ cups cookie crumbs, no sugar, 1/4 cup melted butter
>
> Have you ever eaten Lemon Chiffon Pie? Me either, but there's no
> cooking! The filling has gelatin in it.
> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...p-Crust-235364
>
> --
> A kitchen without a cook is just a room

Speaking of ginger cookies, this recipe was in the paper last week and the
author said was from an old 50's Brer Rabbit Molasses bottle, I made a batch
and they were soooooooooooooo good, really crisp on the edges and just a bit
chewy in the middle. I gave most away. :-)

Ginger Molasses cookies

1/2 cup butter

1/4 cup shortening

1 cup sugar

1/4 cup molasses

1 egg

2 cups flour

2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

1/2 teaspoon ginger

Granulated Sugar

In large mixer bowl, beat together shortening, butter and sugar until
creamy.
Add molasses and egg, beating until well blended. In medium bowl, sift
together
flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, cloves and ginger. Add to molasses
mixture;
mix well. Cover and chill at least two hours.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Form dough into 1-inch balls (a rounded measuring teaspoonful is about
right).
Roll each ball in granulated sugar; place on non-stick or parchment-lined
baking
sheet about 2 inches apart (you should have 5 rows of 4 balls each). Bake
for 8
to 10 minutes or until golden brown and edges are set. Do not overbake. Let
stand 1 minute on sheet. Remove to wire rack to cool. Makes 5 dozen cookies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 28, 2014 3:41:59 AM UTC-10, Mike wrote:
> I've been having fun with" Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day".
> However, as I read other sources, I'm picking up hints, like mixing
> all the dry together, then gradually adding water to get the ideal
> consistency (otherwise i end up with a sticky mess) or just recently,
> adding a small amout of powered milk to slow down the getting-stale
> process. and the most useful that 6 1/2 C= 2#.
>
> Wonder if you've found other hints that you found useful? - Mike

These days I mix everything in a big Ziploc bag. The whole idea behind these breads is that you don't have to knead the dough but allow time for things to develop naturally. Too bad we didn't know about this thousands of years ago. Anyway, mixing in a bag is real handy and neat and you can even mix up a batch while watching TV. If you're interested in strengthening your grip or loosening up your joints, you can now utilize kneading as an exercise or recreational activity. Good bread to you, sir!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 12:51:36 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> Speaking of ginger cookies, this recipe was in the paper last week and the
> author said was from an old 50's Brer Rabbit Molasses bottle, I made a batch
> and they were soooooooooooooo good, really crisp on the edges and just a bit
> chewy in the middle. I gave most away. :-)
>
> Ginger Molasses cookies

Thanks for the recipe!

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 12:51:36 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>> Speaking of ginger cookies, this recipe was in the paper last week and
>> the
>> author said was from an old 50's Brer Rabbit Molasses bottle, I made a
>> batch
>> and they were soooooooooooooo good, really crisp on the edges and just a
>> bit
>> chewy in the middle. I gave most away. :-)
>>
>> Ginger Molasses cookies

> Thanks for the recipe!

Yes, remember ( I do anyway) that I tried a few times last year and couldn't
get the tops to crack until I tried ImStillMags recipe, these are crisper
and good too.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
On Sunday, December 28, 2014 3:41:59 AM UTC-10, Mike wrote:
> I've been having fun with" Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day".
> However, as I read other sources, I'm picking up hints, like mixing
> all the dry together, then gradually adding water to get the ideal
> consistency (otherwise i end up with a sticky mess) or just recently,
> adding a small amout of powered milk to slow down the getting-stale
> process. and the most useful that 6 1/2 C= 2#.
>
> Wonder if you've found other hints that you found useful? - Mike

These days I mix everything in a big Ziploc bag. The whole idea behind these
breads is that you don't have to knead the dough but allow time for things
to develop naturally. Too bad we didn't know about this thousands of years
ago. Anyway, mixing in a bag is real handy and neat and you can even mix up
a batch while watching TV. If you're interested in strengthening your grip
or loosening up your joints, you can now utilize kneading as an exercise or
recreational activity. Good bread to you, sir!

---

That wouldn't work with the bread that I make. Would be far too large for
the bag, especially when it rises and it would stick to the bag.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/28/2014 5:30 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, December 28, 2014 3:41:59 AM UTC-10, Mike wrote:
>> I've been having fun with" Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day".
>> However, as I read other sources, I'm picking up hints, like mixing
>> all the dry together, then gradually adding water to get the ideal
>> consistency (otherwise i end up with a sticky mess) or just recently,
>> adding a small amout of powered milk to slow down the getting-stale
>> process. and the most useful that 6 1/2 C= 2#.
>>
>> Wonder if you've found other hints that you found useful? - Mike

> These days I mix everything in a big Ziploc bag. The whole idea behind
> these breads is that you don't have to knead the dough but allow time
> for things to develop naturally. Too bad we didn't know about this
> thousands of years ago. Anyway, mixing in a bag is real handy and neat
> and you can even mix up a batch while watching TV. If you're interested
> in strengthening your grip or loosening up your joints, you can now
> utilize kneading as an exercise or recreational activity. Good bread to
> you, sir!
>

> ---
>
> That wouldn't work with the bread that I make. Would be far too large
> for the bag, especially when it rises and it would stick to the bag.

It probably won't be big enough for 2 big loves of bread - it's
certainly big enough for 2 big pizzas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 12/28/2014 5:30 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>> On Sunday, December 28, 2014 3:41:59 AM UTC-10, Mike wrote:
>>> I've been having fun with" Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day".
>>> However, as I read other sources, I'm picking up hints, like mixing
>>> all the dry together, then gradually adding water to get the ideal
>>> consistency (otherwise i end up with a sticky mess) or just recently,
>>> adding a small amout of powered milk to slow down the getting-stale
>>> process. and the most useful that 6 1/2 C= 2#.
>>>
>>> Wonder if you've found other hints that you found useful? - Mike

>> These days I mix everything in a big Ziploc bag. The whole idea behind
>> these breads is that you don't have to knead the dough but allow time
>> for things to develop naturally. Too bad we didn't know about this
>> thousands of years ago. Anyway, mixing in a bag is real handy and neat
>> and you can even mix up a batch while watching TV. If you're interested
>> in strengthening your grip or loosening up your joints, you can now
>> utilize kneading as an exercise or recreational activity. Good bread to
>> you, sir!
>>

>> ---
>>
>> That wouldn't work with the bread that I make. Would be far too large
>> for the bag, especially when it rises and it would stick to the bag.

> It probably won't be big enough for 2 big loves of bread - it's certainly
> big enough for 2 big pizzas.

How do you keep it from sticking to the bag?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/28/2014 10:40 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>> On 12/28/2014 5:30 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> These days I mix everything in a big Ziploc bag. The whole idea behind
>>> these breads is that you don't have to knead the dough but allow time
>>> for things to develop naturally. Too bad we didn't know about this
>>> thousands of years ago. Anyway, mixing in a bag is real handy and neat
>>> and you can even mix up a batch while watching TV. If you're interested
>>> in strengthening your grip or loosening up your joints, you can now
>>> utilize kneading as an exercise or recreational activity. Good bread to
>>> you, sir!
>>>

>>> ---
>>>
>>> That wouldn't work with the bread that I make. Would be far too large
>>> for the bag, especially when it rises and it would stick to the bag.

>> It probably won't be big enough for 2 big loves of bread - it's
>> certainly big enough for 2 big pizzas.

> How do you keep it from sticking to the bag?

That can be a problem. I like to add a little oil to the mix which helps
the dough not stick to the bag. If you work the dough around a bit, it
typically will not stick too much. Perhaps if you oil up the bag first,
it'll work better. I'll have to try that next time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 12/28/2014 10:40 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> It probably won't be big enough for 2 big loves of bread - it's
>>> certainly big enough for 2 big pizzas.

>> How do you keep it from sticking to the bag?

> That can be a problem. I like to add a little oil to the mix which helps
> the dough not stick to the bag. If you work the dough around a bit, it
> typically will not stick too much. Perhaps if you oil up the bag first,
> it'll work better. I'll have to try that next time.

I've tried putting a little oil in my bread dough. The end result tastes
fine but it doesn't rise nearly as much.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> I've been thinking about gingersnaps with pumpkin or lemon meringue
> pie. Haven't tried either yet.
>
> 1½ cups cookie crumbs, no sugar, 1/4 cup melted butter

Remember I tried a pure gingersnap with butter crust about 6 months
ago or so. I used a vanilla pudding filling. The pure gingersnaps
were way to overpowering. I didn't eat it all.

IMO now, if you use ginger snaps for a crust, use 1/2 of them mixed
with 1/2 graham crackers to tone them down a bit.

> Have you ever eaten Lemon Chiffon Pie?

Here's a good hit. Once I made some pie and had some leftover crust.
With the leftover crust dough, I formed and cooked about 4-6 mini pie
shells in a cupcake pan. One cooked, I filled them with yogurt.

I had some yogurt that came in two parts. Large bottom layer was lemon
yogurt and the top was vanilla yogurt. Put in those baked mini pie
shell made a good treat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Dec 2014 08:29:29 -0500, Gary > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > I've been thinking about gingersnaps with pumpkin or lemon meringue
> > pie. Haven't tried either yet.
> >
> > 1½ cups cookie crumbs, no sugar, 1/4 cup melted butter

> Remember I tried a pure gingersnap with butter crust about 6 months
> ago or so. I used a vanilla pudding filling. The pure gingersnaps
> were way to overpowering. I didn't eat it all.
>
> IMO now, if you use ginger snaps for a crust, use 1/2 of them mixed
> with 1/2 graham crackers to tone them down a bit.

I bought a box of 'Nilla Wafers to make rum balls. That didn't
happen, so I could make 'nilla crumbs to mix in. Thanks.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room