Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Spareribs and sauerkraut

I had spareribs and sauerkraut for dinner last night. I can't seem to
get enough of this when I make it, that's why I had it again this
morning for breakfast. Happy, happy, happy.

I simmered the ribs with onion, bay leaves and juniper berries. When
the ribs were almost tender, I added the sauerkraut and juices and
diced potato to the pot. I continued cooking until the potatoes were
tender.

https://flic.kr/p/q9HB44

koko

James Beard
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 10:45:10 -0800, koko > wrote:

>I had spareribs and sauerkraut for dinner last night. I can't seem to
>get enough of this when I make it, that's why I had it again this
>morning for breakfast. Happy, happy, happy.
>
>I simmered the ribs with onion, bay leaves and juniper berries. When
>the ribs were almost tender, I added the sauerkraut and juices and
>diced potato to the pot. I continued cooking until the potatoes were
>tender.
>
>https://flic.kr/p/q9HB44
>
>koko

Looks exactly like maggots.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 16, 2014 12:45:11 PM UTC-6, koko wrote:

> I had spareribs and sauerkraut for dinner last night. I can't seem to
> get enough of this when I make it, that's why I had it again this
> morning for breakfast. Happy, happy, happy.
>
> I simmered the ribs with onion, bay leaves and juniper berries. When
> the ribs were almost tender, I added the sauerkraut and juices and
> diced potato to the pot. I continued cooking until the potatoes were
> tender.
>
> https://flic.kr/p/q9HB44
>
> koko

I fix this dish in the crockpot and it is sooooo good. Do you ever add caraway seed? Some people don't care for it but I like this spice in this dish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Tuesday, December 16, 2014 12:45:11 PM UTC-6, koko wrote:
>>
>> I had spareribs and sauerkraut for dinner last night. I can't seem to
>> get enough of this when I make it, that's why I had it again this
>> morning for breakfast. Happy, happy, happy.
>>
>> I simmered the ribs with onion, bay leaves and juniper berries. When
>> the ribs were almost tender, I added the sauerkraut and juices and
>> diced potato to the pot. I continued cooking until the potatoes were
>> tender.
>>
>> https://flic.kr/p/q9HB44
>>
>> koko

That looks good. Did you use your own sauerkraut? I'm still planning to make
that recipe that you posted for it, but haven't yet.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 21:21:10 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, December 16, 2014 12:45:11 PM UTC-6, koko wrote:
>>
>> I had spareribs and sauerkraut for dinner last night. I can't seem to
>> get enough of this when I make it, that's why I had it again this
>> morning for breakfast. Happy, happy, happy.
>>
>> I simmered the ribs with onion, bay leaves and juniper berries. When
>> the ribs were almost tender, I added the sauerkraut and juices and
>> diced potato to the pot. I continued cooking until the potatoes were
>> tender.
>>
>> https://flic.kr/p/q9HB44
>>
>> koko
>>

>I fix this dish in the crockpot and it is sooooo good. Do you ever add caraway seed? Some people don't care for it but I like this spice in this dish.

I don't use caraway seed in this dish, I'll try it next time I make it
though.

koko

James Beard

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 22:05:26 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
>> On Tuesday, December 16, 2014 12:45:11 PM UTC-6, koko wrote:
>>>
>>> I had spareribs and sauerkraut for dinner last night. I can't seem to
>>> get enough of this when I make it, that's why I had it again this
>>> morning for breakfast. Happy, happy, happy.
>>>
>>> I simmered the ribs with onion, bay leaves and juniper berries. When
>>> the ribs were almost tender, I added the sauerkraut and juices and
>>> diced potato to the pot. I continued cooking until the potatoes were
>>> tender.
>>>
>>> https://flic.kr/p/q9HB44
>>>
>>> koko

>That looks good. Did you use your own sauerkraut? I'm still planning to make
>that recipe that you posted for it, but haven't yet.
>
>Cheri

No Cheri, I didn't have enough of my own, I did use a barrel cured
brand though, 2nd best, but still really good.
I hope you make the sauerkraut some time Cheri, it's really great.

koko

James Beard
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-12-16 18:45:10 +0000, koko said:

> I had spareribs and sauerkraut for dinner last night. I can't seem to
> get enough of this when I make it, that's why I had it again this
> morning for breakfast. Happy, happy, happy.
>
> I simmered the ribs with onion, bay leaves and juniper berries. When
> the ribs were almost tender, I added the sauerkraut and juices and
> diced potato to the pot. I continued cooking until the potatoes were
> tender.
>
> https://flic.kr/p/q9HB44
>
> koko

OH KOKO YOU'RE KILLIN' ME!

Juniper berries, that's one of my secret spices. I like to stab a
roast a couple times, and put a crushed juniper berry and a garlic
sliver wrapped in a myrtle leaf into the stab wound.

My inlaws went nuts for it but when they asked me what the leaves were
I started talking about aconite just to freak 'em out a bit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"koko" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 22:05:26 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>

> wrote in message

>>That looks good. Did you use your own sauerkraut? I'm still planning to
>>make
>>that recipe that you posted for it, but haven't yet.
>>
>>Cheri

> No Cheri, I didn't have enough of my own, I did use a barrel cured
> brand though, 2nd best, but still really good.
> I hope you make the sauerkraut some time Cheri, it's really great.
>
> koko

I'm definitely going to make it soon! I will report back when I do. :-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 00:13:09 -0800, Oregonian Haruspex
> wrote:

>On 2014-12-16 18:45:10 +0000, koko said:
>
>> I had spareribs and sauerkraut for dinner last night. I can't seem to
>> get enough of this when I make it, that's why I had it again this
>> morning for breakfast. Happy, happy, happy.
>>
>> I simmered the ribs with onion, bay leaves and juniper berries. When
>> the ribs were almost tender, I added the sauerkraut and juices and
>> diced potato to the pot. I continued cooking until the potatoes were
>> tender.
>>
>> https://flic.kr/p/q9HB44
>>
>> koko

>OH KOKO YOU'RE KILLIN' ME!
>
>Juniper berries, that's one of my secret spices. I like to stab a
>roast a couple times, and put a crushed juniper berry and a garlic
>sliver wrapped in a myrtle leaf into the stab wound.
>
>My inlaws went nuts for it but when they asked me what the leaves were
>I started talking about aconite just to freak 'em out a bit.

That sounds like a great idea. Using myrtle leaf will be new for me,
and something I'm looking forward to learning about.

koko

James Beard
Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote:

> I had spareribs and sauerkraut for dinner last night.
> https://flic.kr/p/q9HB44

Braising is a waste of spareribs... normal folks who know how to cook
choose country style ribs (with or without bones) or some other
inexpensive cut of pork for braising.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/17/2014 11:24 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> koko wrote:
>>
>> I had spareribs and sauerkraut for dinner last night.
>> https://flic.kr/p/q9HB44

> Braising is a waste of spareribs... normal folks who know how to cook
> choose country style ribs (with or without bones) or some other
> inexpensive cut of pork for braising.

I marinate then grill country style ribs. Can't say I've ever braised them.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 11:24:05 -0500, Brooklyn1
> wrote:
snip
>choose country style ribs (with or without bones) or some other
>inexpensive cut of pork for braising.

I put sauerkraut mixed with a raw apple a little brown sugar in a pan
with a cover. I salt, pepper and garlic powder some country style
ribs and push them down into the sauerkraut with the fatty tops out of
the kraut. Put the cover on and put in oven 350F until the country
style ribs are done. Uncover the pan for 15 minutes or so to brown
and crisp up the tops of the ribs.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 16, 2014 10:34:07 PM UTC-8, koko wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 21:21:10 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday, December 16, 2014 12:45:11 PM UTC-6, koko wrote:
> >>
> >> I had spareribs and sauerkraut for dinner last night. I can't seem to
> >> get enough of this when I make it, that's why I had it again this
> >> morning for breakfast. Happy, happy, happy.
> >>
> >> I simmered the ribs with onion, bay leaves and juniper berries. When
> >> the ribs were almost tender, I added the sauerkraut and juices and
> >> diced potato to the pot. I continued cooking until the potatoes were
> >> tender.
> >>
> >> https://flic.kr/p/q9HB44
> >>
> >> koko
> >>

> >I fix this dish in the crockpot and it is sooooo good. Do you ever add caraway seed? Some people don't care for it but I like this spice in this dish.

> I don't use caraway seed in this dish, I'll try it next time I make it
> though.

Caraway seeds are helpful if sauerkraut gives you gas.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 10:06:31 -0700, Janet B >
wrote:

>On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 11:24:05 -0500, Brooklyn1
> wrote:
>snip
>>choose country style ribs (with or without bones) or some other
>>inexpensive cut of pork for braising.

>I put sauerkraut mixed with a raw apple a little brown sugar in a pan
>with a cover. I salt, pepper and garlic powder some country style
>ribs and push them down into the sauerkraut with the fatty tops out of
>the kraut. Put the cover on and put in oven 350F until the country
>style ribs are done. Uncover the pan for 15 minutes or so to brown
>and crisp up the tops of the ribs.
>Janet US

I do much the same with country style ribs, but I'd never braise
spareribs, that's like what the fools do who boil spareribs before
they grill them. Spareribs should not be cooked in liquid.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 11:35:05 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

> Caraway seeds are helpful if sauerkraut gives you gas.

Can't we eat just them because we like their flavor?

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 17, 2014 2:43:18 PM UTC-8, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 11:35:05 -0800 (PST),
> wrote:
>
> > Caraway seeds are helpful if sauerkraut gives you gas.

> Can't we eat just them because we like their flavor?

Remember Certs?
It's a breath mint AND a candy mint.
It's two, two, two mints in one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 17, 2014 1:35:09 PM UTC-6, wrote:

> > On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 21:21:10 -0800 (PST), "
> > > wrote:
> >
> > >I fix this dish in the crockpot and it is sooooo good. Do you ever add caraway seed? Some people don't care for it but I like this spice in this dish.

> Caraway seeds are helpful if sauerkraut gives you gas.

I didn't know that! You learn something new every day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-12-17 16:21:37 +0000, koko said:

> On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 00:13:09 -0800, Oregonian Haruspex
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2014-12-16 18:45:10 +0000, koko said:
>>
>>> I had spareribs and sauerkraut for dinner last night. I can't seem to
>>> get enough of this when I make it, that's why I had it again this
>>> morning for breakfast. Happy, happy, happy.
>>>
>>> I simmered the ribs with onion, bay leaves and juniper berries. When
>>> the ribs were almost tender, I added the sauerkraut and juices and
>>> diced potato to the pot. I continued cooking until the potatoes were
>>> tender.
>>>
>>> https://flic.kr/p/q9HB44
>>>
>>> koko

>> OH KOKO YOU'RE KILLIN' ME!
>>
>> Juniper berries, that's one of my secret spices. I like to stab a
>> roast a couple times, and put a crushed juniper berry and a garlic
>> sliver wrapped in a myrtle leaf into the stab wound.
>>
>> My inlaws went nuts for it but when they asked me what the leaves were
>> I started talking about aconite just to freak 'em out a bit.

> That sounds like a great idea. Using myrtle leaf will be new for me,
> and something I'm looking forward to learning about.
>
> koko

Myrtle's extremely potent stuff. It's essentially similar to
California bay, which is different than bey laurel (ie "real" bay
leaves). They all derive their flavor components from turpines but
ultimately they taste quite different.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 > wrote:
> koko wrote:
>>
>> I had spareribs and sauerkraut for dinner last night.
>> https://flic.kr/p/q9HB44

> Braising is a waste of spareribs... normal folks who know how to cook
> choose country style ribs (with or without bones) or some other
> inexpensive cut of pork for braising.

I prefer country style pork and added potatoes. I like a bit of caraway and
pickling spice.

Well I also use kolbasi of course. Stuff makes a good sandwich.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 22:20:50 -0800, Oregonian Haruspex
> wrote:

snip

>Myrtle's extremely potent stuff. It's essentially similar to
>California bay, which is different than bey laurel (ie "real" bay
>leaves).

snip
I didn't know that California bay was so different than regular bay
leaves. Can you describe the flavor to me? I don't have access to CA
bay.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 18, 2014 10:57:57 AM UTC-8, Janet B wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 22:20:50 -0800, Oregonian Haruspex
> > wrote:
>
> snip
> >
> >Myrtle's extremely potent stuff. It's essentially similar to
> >California bay, which is different than bey laurel (ie "real" bay
> >leaves).

> snip
> I didn't know that California bay was so different than regular bay
> leaves. Can you describe the flavor to me? I don't have access to CA
> bay.

To me, California Bay Laurel (known as Oregon myrtlewood north of the
border) smells like creosote. And what does creosote smell like? A new
railroad tie.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-12-18 18:58:04 +0000, Janet B said:

> On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 22:20:50 -0800, Oregonian Haruspex
> > wrote:
>
> snip
>>
>> Myrtle's extremely potent stuff. It's essentially similar to
>> California bay, which is different than bey laurel (ie "real" bay
>> leaves).

> snip
> I didn't know that California bay was so different than regular bay
> leaves. Can you describe the flavor to me? I don't have access to CA
> bay.
> Janet US

California Bay and Bay Laurel are totally different species. The
leaves taste vaguely similar, but California Bay has a sharper turpine
content for sure.

If you buy "Bay Leaves" at the store you're probably already getting
California Bay. Bay Laurel leaves are more expensive and generally not
as available. They must be sought out, you won't be getting them by
default if you get "Bay Leaves."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 13:59:28 -0800, Oregonian Haruspex
> wrote:

snip

>If you buy "Bay Leaves" at the store you're probably already getting
>California Bay. Bay Laurel leaves are more expensive and generally not
>as available. They must be sought out, you won't be getting them by
>default if you get "Bay Leaves."

I get my bay leaves at Penzeys. I don't think they offer a choice.
I'll have to look and see.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-12-18 23:33:21 +0000, Janet B said:

> On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 13:59:28 -0800, Oregonian Haruspex
> > wrote:
>

> snip
>>
>> If you buy "Bay Leaves" at the store you're probably already getting
>> California Bay. Bay Laurel leaves are more expensive and generally not
>> as available. They must be sought out, you won't be getting them by
>> default if you get "Bay Leaves."

> I get my bay leaves at Penzeys. I don't think they offer a choice.
> I'll have to look and see.
> Janet US

From the Penzeys.com bay leaves product page:

"Turkish bay leaves are the best in the world. Though not as strong as
the California variety, they have a natural depth of flavor that the
California bay leaves can't hope to match. Bay leaves grow wild on the
hilly mountains of western Turkey in the area around Izmir (Smyrna)."

Which would lead you to believe that what they are selling are Bay
Laurel leaves, but nowhere in the product description do they actually
say which leaf they are offering.

Penzeys.com has a similar problem differentiating cinnamon from cassia.
You'd think from the product descriptions that you're getting real
cinnamon from them but you are actually buying cassia.

I no longer patronize Penzeys.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 16:33:21 -0700, Janet B >
wrote:

>On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 13:59:28 -0800, Oregonian Haruspex
> wrote:
>

>snip
>>
>>If you buy "Bay Leaves" at the store you're probably already getting
>>California Bay. Bay Laurel leaves are more expensive and generally not
>>as available. They must be sought out, you won't be getting them by
>>default if you get "Bay Leaves."

>I get my bay leaves at Penzeys. I don't think they offer a choice.
>I'll have to look and see.
>Janet US

Penzeys sells Turkish bay leaves, California bay leaves impart the
flavor of Pine Sol.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 18, 2014 6:41:06 PM UTC-5, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:

> They've since discovered that retsin gives you cancer.

Any relation to that Greek drink? What's the incidence of cancer in Greece? Any data on that?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 16, 2014 1:45:11 PM UTC-5, koko wrote:
> I had spareribs and sauerkraut for dinner last night. I can't seem to
> get enough of this when I make it,

Haven't made this in ages. I like to put some carrot spears in the pot, along with a shot of gin. Thanks for remindin' me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 17:09:47 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

>On Thursday, December 18, 2014 6:41:06 PM UTC-5, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
>

>> They've since discovered that retsin gives you cancer.

>Any relation to that Greek drink?

That would be retsina.. the only booze I can't swallow... like
drinking pine sol.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 15:45:46 -0800, Oregonian Haruspex
> wrote:

>On 2014-12-18 23:33:21 +0000, Janet B said:
>
>> On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 13:59:28 -0800, Oregonian Haruspex
>> > wrote:
>>

>> snip
>>>
>>> If you buy "Bay Leaves" at the store you're probably already getting
>>> California Bay. Bay Laurel leaves are more expensive and generally not
>>> as available. They must be sought out, you won't be getting them by
>>> default if you get "Bay Leaves."

>> I get my bay leaves at Penzeys. I don't think they offer a choice.
>> I'll have to look and see.
>> Janet US

>From the Penzeys.com bay leaves product page:
>
>"Turkish bay leaves are the best in the world. Though not as strong as
>the California variety, they have a natural depth of flavor that the
>California bay leaves can't hope to match. Bay leaves grow wild on the
>hilly mountains of western Turkey in the area around Izmir (Smyrna)."
>
>Which would lead you to believe that what they are selling are Bay
>Laurel leaves, but nowhere in the product description do they actually
>say which leaf they are offering.
>
>Penzeys.com has a similar problem differentiating cinnamon from cassia.
> You'd think from the product descriptions that you're getting real
>cinnamon from them but you are actually buying cassia.
>
>I no longer patronize Penzeys.

All I know is that the Penzeys bay leaves are wonderful -- much more
fragrant,
Apparently their cinnamon is a blend.
(from a free sample)
Cinnamon:
Ingredients: China cinnamon, Vietnamese cinnamon, Korintje cinnamon,
Ceylon cinnamon.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 10:45:10 -0800, koko > wrote:

>I had spareribs and sauerkraut for dinner last night. I can't seem to
>get enough of this when I make it, that's why I had it again this
>morning for breakfast. Happy, happy, happy.
>
>I simmered the ribs with onion, bay leaves and juniper berries. When
>the ribs were almost tender, I added the sauerkraut and juices and
>diced potato to the pot. I continued cooking until the potatoes were
>tender.
>
>https://flic.kr/p/q9HB44
>
>koko

My mother used to make spareribs and sauerkraut when I was a kid.
Cooked the ribs in the pressure cooker and they werree fall off the
bone tender! YUM!!! Good stuff! :-)

John Kuthe...

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 10:45:10 -0800, koko > wrote:

>I had spareribs and sauerkraut for dinner last night. I can't seem to
>get enough of this when I make it, that's why I had it again this
>morning for breakfast. Happy, happy, happy.
>
>I simmered the ribs with onion, bay leaves and juniper berries. When
>the ribs were almost tender, I added the sauerkraut and juices and
>diced potato to the pot. I continued cooking until the potatoes were
>tender.
>
>https://flic.kr/p/q9HB44
>
>koko

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/18/2014 10:26 PM, Janet B wrote:

> All I know is that the Penzeys bay leaves are wonderful -- much more
> fragrant,
> Apparently their cinnamon is a blend.
> (from a free sample)
> Cinnamon:
> Ingredients: China cinnamon, Vietnamese cinnamon, Korintje cinnamon,
> Ceylon cinnamon.
> Janet US

They also sell those individually.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 18, 2014 9:59:15 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> That would be retsina.. the only booze I can't swallow... like
> drinking pine sol.

I agree. Have you ever tried to down Asbach Uralt? Horrid stuff, along with Chartreuse.

I just loaded up on Frangelico, as the Xmas gift pack contained a nice candle. The liquid won't go to waste either. My only beef is, the candle is in a nice glass, but has writing on it. I'm trying to figure out how to remove it without scratching the glass.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet B wrote:

>All I know is that the Penzeys bay leaves are wonderful -- much more
>fragrant.

Penzeys bay leaves are excellent, much more flavorful than those from
the supermarket. I bought a full pound a while back and I'm still
working on them, there's a lot of bay leaves in a pound. When I cook
a tied roastbeef I slip a bay leaf under each string... for a real
treat slip one under each of your bra straps.

>Apparently their cinnamon is a blend.
>(from a free sample)
>Cinnamon:
>Ingredients: China cinnamon, Vietnamese cinnamon, Korintje cinnamon,
>Ceylon cinnamon.
>Janet US

That's Penzeys own blend but they also have unblended cinnamons...
China, Indonesian, Ceylon, Vietmanese... cinnamon sticks and cinnamon
chunks too. I have their Vietmanese cinnamon and their chunk
cinnamon.