Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Did you know that Chef Boyardee was a real person?

On 2014-12-04 2:14 PM, sf wrote:

> We choke on Chinese restaurants within a very few blocks of me.
> They're everywhere - gah! We have a couple of Thai and 4 Japanese
> that I can think of off the top of my head. One nearby street within
> easy walking distance is littered with restaurants from around the
> world... everywhere but Europe. Italy, yes, but no other European
> country. France and Germany are conspicuously missing, but I guess it
> reflects who the locals are.

I don't know about that. There are a lot of Chinese restaurants around
here but no real Chinese community to speak of. There are also quite a
few Thai restaurants too, but no Thai community. OTOH, there are a lot
of Dutch people here, a lot of them being recent immigrants. There was
only one Dutch restaurant, but it didn't stay Dutch very long. The area
to the west of me has a significant German community but there is only
one German restaurant that I know of. The Germans and Dutch I know
aren't big going out for home cooking. They have that at home. They go
out for something different.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 14:49:12 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2014-12-04 2:14 PM, sf wrote:
>
> > We choke on Chinese restaurants within a very few blocks of me.
> > They're everywhere - gah! We have a couple of Thai and 4 Japanese
> > that I can think of off the top of my head. One nearby street within
> > easy walking distance is littered with restaurants from around the
> > world... everywhere but Europe. Italy, yes, but no other European
> > country. France and Germany are conspicuously missing, but I guess it
> > reflects who the locals are.

> I don't know about that. There are a lot of Chinese restaurants around
> here but no real Chinese community to speak of. There are also quite a
> few Thai restaurants too, but no Thai community. OTOH, there are a lot
> of Dutch people here, a lot of them being recent immigrants. There was
> only one Dutch restaurant, but it didn't stay Dutch very long. The area
> to the west of me has a significant German community but there is only
> one German restaurant that I know of. The Germans and Dutch I know
> aren't big going out for home cooking. They have that at home. They go
> out for something different.

Pardon me for couching it with "I guess" because I wasn't guessing.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-12-04 4:26 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 14:49:12 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2014-12-04 2:14 PM, sf wrote:
>>
>>> We choke on Chinese restaurants within a very few blocks of me.
>>> They're everywhere - gah! We have a couple of Thai and 4 Japanese
>>> that I can think of off the top of my head. One nearby street within
>>> easy walking distance is littered with restaurants from around the
>>> world... everywhere but Europe. Italy, yes, but no other European
>>> country. France and Germany are conspicuously missing, but I guess it
>>> reflects who the locals are.

>> I don't know about that. There are a lot of Chinese restaurants around
>> here but no real Chinese community to speak of. There are also quite a
>> few Thai restaurants too, but no Thai community. OTOH, there are a lot
>> of Dutch people here, a lot of them being recent immigrants. There was
>> only one Dutch restaurant, but it didn't stay Dutch very long. The area
>> to the west of me has a significant German community but there is only
>> one German restaurant that I know of. The Germans and Dutch I know
>> aren't big going out for home cooking. They have that at home. They go
>> out for something different.

> Pardon me for couching it with "I guess" because I wasn't guessing.

That's okay. I couched it with " I don't know about that."

I rarely go out for the sorts of things I can easily cook at home. That
being said, about once a month I go to a place that makes great burgers
and fresh cut fries..... not a fast food joint. I also tend to order
fish and seafood. That is because I am always looking for ideas for
cooking fish. Only once or twice have I ordered a steak, because they
are too easy to cook at home.

OTOH.... most of the Italians I know seem to like to go out for Italian
food. Maybe they are better at picking up on the nuances that
distinguish the various shapes of pasta all made from the same dough,
and the tomato sauces.

I should post a disclaimer. I live in a very white part of the world.
We have a wide variety of the white shades; English, Irish, Scots,
French, Italians, Dutch,Germans, Poles, Russians,Hungarians. Indian,
Chinese, Thai and Japanese tend to do well despite there being no ethic
base in the local population.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 4, 2014 9:14:39 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 08:29:07 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> > You got a point there. We got choke Korean restaurants here. There's 4
> > down the street - 3 if you're only counting the ones I'd ever eat at.

> We choke on Chinese restaurants within a very few blocks of me.
> They're everywhere - gah! We have a couple of Thai and 4 Japanese
> that I can think of off the top of my head. One nearby street within
> easy walking distance is littered with restaurants from around the
> world... everywhere but Europe. Italy, yes, but no other European
> country. France and Germany are conspicuously missing, but I guess it
> reflects who the locals are.

No German or French restaurants here either. We have 4 Chinese restaurants but no dim sum restaurants. We used to have one but that one had a fire and never reopened. If you ask me, it was torched. Too bad, it was one of my favorite restaurants. The girls would come over with their carts and you'd choose the dishes you wanted - it made you feel like a king.

> --
> A kitchen without a cook is just a room.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, December 4, 2014 9:14:39 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:
>> On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 08:29:07 -1000, dsi1
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > You got a point there. We got choke Korean restaurants here. There's 4
>> > down the street - 3 if you're only counting the ones I'd ever eat at.

>> We choke on Chinese restaurants within a very few blocks of me.
>> They're everywhere - gah! We have a couple of Thai and 4 Japanese
>> that I can think of off the top of my head. One nearby street within
>> easy walking distance is littered with restaurants from around the
>> world... everywhere but Europe. Italy, yes, but no other European
>> country. France and Germany are conspicuously missing, but I guess it
>> reflects who the locals are.
>>

> No German or French restaurants here either. We have 4 Chinese restaurants
> but no dim sum restaurants. We used to have one but that one had a fire
> and never reopened. If you ask me, it was torched. Too bad, it was one of
> my favorite restaurants. The girls would come over with their carts and
> you'd choose the dishes you wanted - it made you feel like a king.

The only one I've been to is in China Town in London I loved it)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
On Thursday, December 4, 2014 9:14:39 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 08:29:07 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> > You got a point there. We got choke Korean restaurants here. There's 4
> > down the street - 3 if you're only counting the ones I'd ever eat at.

> We choke on Chinese restaurants within a very few blocks of me.
> They're everywhere - gah! We have a couple of Thai and 4 Japanese
> that I can think of off the top of my head. One nearby street within
> easy walking distance is littered with restaurants from around the
> world... everywhere but Europe. Italy, yes, but no other European
> country. France and Germany are conspicuously missing, but I guess it
> reflects who the locals are.

No German or French restaurants here either. We have 4 Chinese restaurants
but no dim sum restaurants. We used to have one but that one had a fire and
never reopened. If you ask me, it was torched. Too bad, it was one of my
favorite restaurants. The girls would come over with their carts and you'd
choose the dishes you wanted - it made you feel like a king.
---

If you want dim sum here you have to go to the International district in
Seattle. Most of the other Chinese places around here sell pretty crappy,
Americanized stuff. The best place near here, IMO would be Chopsticks in
Edmonds. It is rather dated looking. Used to be across the street and they
had the stereotypical Tiki bar. This is where I celebrated my 21st
birthday. A cocktail at midnight. Now there is a drustore there and they
occupy a place across the street that used to be a steak house among other
things. For some reason, they did up the new place in a decor straight out
of the 1960's, even though it was perhaps the 1980's or 1990's when it
moved. But if you can get past that and the fact that they do have some
things on the menu that aren't really Chinese, like a fruit platter, it is
really good food and much of it is authentic.

I have learned that a lot of people who live in this area are not wanted the
authentic stuff. I know this because I have taken them to really good dim
sum places only to have them comment that the food wasn't good. They have
also complained about the food that I have ordered. Seems that all they
want is something with a cutesey name to it like Buddha's Feast, Happy
Family or something of that ilk. Start with an appetizer and some soup then
have dish after dish come out along with some white rice and fried rice.
Then have a ton of little containers to take home.

Granted, I haven't tried a lot of different things. I had steamed hum bow
and also tomato beef and loved both. Some places serve white or brown rice
with the tomato beef, others serve noodles. I have also had similar but
with additonal vegetables. That's what I like so that's what I like to
order.

What we have far too much of here, IMO are Thai places, Pho places and
Mexican grills akin to Qdoba or Chiptole. Also hole in the wall Teriyaki
places. I can't speak for the Thai or the Pho because this type of food
doesn't appeal to me at all but the other stuff is certainly not authentic
at all.

But probably the worst I have ever seen is Panda Express! I was driving
home one day and running really late. Angela was home alone and we were low
on groceries aside from stockpile stuff like pasta and beans. I remembered
someone I knew had raved about how yummy their food was. So I thought I
would stop there. Plus I needed a bathroom and they had a convenient one.

Once inside the door, I was not impressed. An Asian style Qdoba with crappy
food on the steam table. I then decided to get something spicy and with
vegetables for my husband who would want something when he got home from
work. I can't remember the name of what I ordered for him but it was spicy
chicken with green beans. I asked for one order of that, one order of
chicken teriyaki and two orders of plain white rice. The lady behind the
counter then picked up what appeared to be a plain piece of boneless chicken
breast, cut it up and asked if I wanted sauce on it? I was like... Uh...
If no sauce, then it wouldn't be Teriyaki would it? It would just be
chicken!

Things went downhill from there. I was handed a small bag at the register
and given a price to pay that seemed way too low. I had looked at the board
behind the counter that listed prices but they seemed confusing because most
seemed to assume that you were getting some sort of combo plate and that
wasn't what I wanted. So I questioned her. "This is for two orders.
Right?" She assured me that it was. I looked in the bag and saw one
Styrofoam container. I said, "Wait! Did you put everything in this one
container?" She did. I then informed her that I had to take the food to
two different people so this wasn't going to work. I think what she sold me
was a combo platter. No matter in the end because nobody liked the food at
all and I had to toss it all out, including the rice.

I was also astounded the other day at Safeway. They sell steamtable
Americanized Asian food which my husband seems to like but Angela does not.
Years ago I used to get the lemon chicken. They no longer sell that. I
quit getting it after I realized that all I really liked was the lemon
sauce. And it was probably loaded with sugar.

Anyway... Another guy was getting all sorts of food. The guy behind the
counter was just loading it all into one of those flismy, stereotypical
paper Chinese takeout boxes. One thing on top of the next. All different
things and all with sauce. Some sweet and some spicy. He even asked the
guy if that was okay to put it in there like that and the guy said that it
was! I just couldn't imagine even eating that. One good thing though is
the white rice. The fried is on the steamtable but the white is in a rice
cooker behind the counter. So it comes home reasonably fresh. I pretty
much only buy that if I am out to get a few things because I have a sick
person at home. Then I will bring them some rice.

I am also constantly astounded by how many people in this country all too
willingly accept mediocore food and think that it is good!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 5 Dec 2014 00:13:32 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

> On Thursday, December 4, 2014 9:14:39 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> > On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 08:29:07 -1000, dsi1
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > You got a point there. We got choke Korean restaurants here. There's 4
> > > down the street - 3 if you're only counting the ones I'd ever eat at.

> > We choke on Chinese restaurants within a very few blocks of me.
> > They're everywhere - gah! We have a couple of Thai and 4 Japanese
> > that I can think of off the top of my head. One nearby street within
> > easy walking distance is littered with restaurants from around the
> > world... everywhere but Europe. Italy, yes, but no other European
> > country. France and Germany are conspicuously missing, but I guess it
> > reflects who the locals are.
> >

> No German or French restaurants here either. We have 4 Chinese restaurants but no dim sum restaurants. We used to have one but that one had a fire and never reopened. If you ask me, it was torched. Too bad, it was one of my favorite restaurants. The girls would come over with their carts and you'd choose the dishes you wanted - it made you feel like a king.

I've been over Chinese food for a while, although you can entice me
with dim sum or salt & pepper "anything" any time the bill is on you.

We have to be very careful with Chinese food these days because they
use the same (used) oil for everything. Normally, I wouldn't care -
but hubby ended up with twinges of a gout attack the last time we
ordered delivery. The only thing we could pin down was their cooking
oil because we didn't order any dish that had even a hint of shellfish
to it.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, December 5, 2014 12:28:03 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" <> wrote in message
> > On Thursday, December 4, 2014 9:14:39 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> >> On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 08:29:07 -1000, dsi1

> >> We choke on Chinese restaurants within a very few blocks of me.
> >> They're everywhere - gah! We have a couple of Thai and 4 Japanese
> >> that I can think of off the top of my head. One nearby street within
> >> easy walking distance is littered with restaurants from around the
> >> world... everywhere but Europe. Italy, yes, but no other European
> >> country. France and Germany are conspicuously missing, but I guess it
> >> reflects who the locals are.
> >>

> > No German or French restaurants here either. We have 4 Chinese restaurants
> > but no dim sum restaurants. We used to have one but that one had a fire
> > and never reopened. If you ask me, it was torched. Too bad, it was one of
> > my favorite restaurants. The girls would come over with their carts and
> > you'd choose the dishes you wanted - it made you feel like a king.

> The only one I've been to is in China Town in London I loved it)

Dim sum is supposed to mean little pieces of the heart which I guess means small morsels of happiness. Truely, it does seem to make people happy.

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, December 5, 2014 1:50:38 AM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> [...]

> Anyway... Another guy was getting all sorts of food. The guy behind the
> counter was just loading it all into one of those flismy, stereotypical
> paper Chinese takeout boxes. One thing on top of the next. All different
> things and all with sauce. Some sweet and some spicy. He even asked the
> guy if that was okay to put it in there like that and the guy said that it
> was! I just couldn't imagine even eating that. One good thing though is
> the white rice. The fried is on the steamtable but the white is in a rice
> cooker behind the counter. So it comes home reasonably fresh. I pretty
> much only buy that if I am out to get a few things because I have a sick
> person at home. Then I will bring them some rice.
>
> I am also constantly astounded by how many people in this country all too
> willingly accept mediocore food and think that it is good!

Jeepers! It sounds like a hard knock life - for you. You need to find your happy place! :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, December 5, 2014 5:54:18 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Dec 2014 00:13:32 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <>
> wrote:
>
> > On Thursday, December 4, 2014 9:14:39 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> > > On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 08:29:07 -1000, dsi1

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Friday, December 5, 2014 12:28:03 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

>> > No German or French restaurants here either. We have 4 Chinese
>> > restaurants
>> > but no dim sum restaurants. We used to have one but that one had a fire
>> > and never reopened. If you ask me, it was torched. Too bad, it was one
>> > of
>> > my favorite restaurants. The girls would come over with their carts and
>> > you'd choose the dishes you wanted - it made you feel like a king.

>> The only one I've been to is in China Town in London I loved it)
>>

> Dim sum is supposed to mean little pieces of the heart which I guess means
> small morsels of happiness. Truely, it does seem to make people happy.

It was very good. Ladies would come round with carts. I never knew what
to choose so I just pointed and was never disappointed

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 5 Dec 2014 14:18:22 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

> Well, my rule of thumb is that you never want to see what goes on back there in a Chinese kitchen. Things go a lot smoother that way.

I'll agree with you there!

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-12-05 5:18 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> Well, my rule of thumb is that you never want to see what goes on
> back there in a Chinese kitchen. Things go a lot smoother that way.

LOL thinking back to the last time I was in nearby Chinese restaurant.
The lady in charge was at the front when we heard a commotion in the
kitchen. The argument got louder and louder and then we heard pans
crashing. The boss lady ran back and yelled and screamed. Things calmed
down and she returned and acting as if nothing had happened, as if the
diners could not hear the same things she had heard. A few minutes later
it started up again. I have not been back. It's been years. The place
is still open, but I never see any cars there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 5 Dec 2014 14:12:31 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

> Dim sum is supposed to mean little pieces of the heart which I guess means small morsels of happiness. Truely, it does seem to make people happy.

It makes me happy!

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 5 Dec 2014 22:23:58 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>

> "dsi1" > wrote in message

> > Dim sum is supposed to mean little pieces of the heart which I guess means
> > small morsels of happiness. Truely, it does seem to make people happy.

> It was very good. Ladies would come round with carts. I never knew what
> to choose so I just pointed and was never disappointed

Did you see the chicken feet?

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 5 Dec 2014 16:44:36 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> That's how they do it here too but the wait staff is usually men.

Maybe where you are, not here.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 5 Dec 2014 14:16:00 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

> On Friday, December 5, 2014 1:50:38 AM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> > I am also constantly astounded by how many people in this country all too
> > willingly accept mediocore food and think that it is good!

> Jeepers! It sounds like a hard knock life - for you. You need to find your happy place! :-)

Hey, this is *Julie*... someone who lives in an area filled with
people who demand, can afford and get good food.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 05 Dec 2014 18:53:30 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2014-12-05 5:18 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>

> > Well, my rule of thumb is that you never want to see what goes on
> > back there in a Chinese kitchen. Things go a lot smoother that way.
> >

> LOL thinking back to the last time I was in nearby Chinese restaurant.
> The lady in charge was at the front when we heard a commotion in the
> kitchen. The argument got louder and louder and then we heard pans
> crashing. The boss lady ran back and yelled and screamed. Things calmed
> down and she returned and acting as if nothing had happened, as if the
> diners could not hear the same things she had heard. A few minutes later
> it started up again. I have not been back. It's been years. The place
> is still open, but I never see any cars there.

I can't tell you how many Chinese restaurants (or restaurants in
general) that I've been inside in my life and I've never, not one
single time, heard an argument in the kitchen. If they were speaking
in dialect, maybe you misunderstood the tone of voice for an argument.
It can sound that way when they're just talking.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.chefboyardee.com/history

> I like Barilla whole grain pasta, it's only 1/2 whole grain durum wheat and it is healthier than reg pasta.

Barilla is my favorite brand of pasta. I've tried to like whole wheat,
but I just can't - so I compensate by eating less of the regular
white.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 5 Dec 2014 14:16:00 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
>> On Friday, December 5, 2014 1:50:38 AM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>> >
>> > I am also constantly astounded by how many people in this country all
>> > too
>> > willingly accept mediocore food and think that it is good!

>> Jeepers! It sounds like a hard knock life - for you. You need to find
>> your happy place! :-)

> Hey, this is *Julie*... someone who lives in an area filled with
> people who demand, can afford and get good food.

Yes. And some of these people I refer to are wealthy. They just don't know
good food!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 5 Dec 2014 18:11:28 -0800 (PST), wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, November 30, 2014 12:50:06 PM UTC-5, sf wrote:
>> > His name was (chef) Hector Boiardi and he has quite an interesting
>> > story.
http://www.chefboyardee.com/history

>> I like Barilla whole grain pasta, it's only 1/2 whole grain durum wheat
>> and it is healthier than reg pasta.

> Barilla is my favorite brand of pasta. I've tried to like whole wheat,
> but I just can't - so I compensate by eating less of the regular
> white.

I love whole wheat but not the kind that says whole grain.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 5 Dec 2014 22:23:58 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>>

>> "dsi1" > wrote in message

>> > Dim sum is supposed to mean little pieces of the heart which I guess
>> > means
>> > small morsels of happiness. Truely, it does seem to make people happy.

>> It was very good. Ladies would come round with carts. I never knew
>> what
>> to choose so I just pointed and was never disappointed

> Did you see the chicken feet?

No ... thank goodness!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-12-06 1:57 AM, sf wrote:

>> LOL thinking back to the last time I was in nearby Chinese restaurant.
>> The lady in charge was at the front when we heard a commotion in the
>> kitchen. The argument got louder and louder and then we heard pans
>> crashing. The boss lady ran back and yelled and screamed. Things calmed
>> down and she returned and acting as if nothing had happened, as if the
>> diners could not hear the same things she had heard. A few minutes later
>> it started up again. I have not been back. It's been years. The place
>> is still open, but I never see any cars there.

> I can't tell you how many Chinese restaurants (or restaurants in
> general) that I've been inside in my life and I've never, not one
> single time, heard an argument in the kitchen. If they were speaking
> in dialect, maybe you misunderstood the tone of voice for an argument.
> It can sound that way when they're just talking.

I had never heard it anywhere else. It sounded like serious fighting.
It was almost comical because it started low and got increasingly loud
with yelling and the pots and pans crashing. Boss mama would go back
and yell and things cooled off. A little while later it started up
again. It happened several times that night.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-12-06 1:58 AM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Dec 2014 18:11:28 -0800 (PST), wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, November 30, 2014 12:50:06 PM UTC-5, sf wrote:
>>> His name was (chef) Hector Boiardi and he has quite an interesting
>>> story.
http://www.chefboyardee.com/history

>> I like Barilla whole grain pasta, it's only 1/2 whole grain durum wheat and it is healthier than reg pasta.

> Barilla is my favorite brand of pasta. I've tried to like whole wheat,
> but I just can't - so I compensate by eating less of the regular
> white.

I wonder what happened to that big protest against Barilla because the
owner refused to portray *** families in its ads.

I was advised to use Catelli Smart pasta. It is a healthy alternative
and it is much tastier than whole wheat pasta.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 6 Dec 2014 13:51:18 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 5 Dec 2014 22:23:58 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > > wrote:

> >> It was very good. Ladies would come round with carts. I never knew
> >> what
> >> to choose so I just pointed and was never disappointed

> > Did you see the chicken feet?

> No ... thank goodness!

I've used chicken feet a couple of different times in the last year
when I've made chicken stock, but they just add more fat than I'd
normally have as far as I can tell.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 06 Dec 2014 09:32:06 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2014-12-06 1:57 AM, sf wrote:
>
> >> LOL thinking back to the last time I was in nearby Chinese restaurant.
> >> The lady in charge was at the front when we heard a commotion in the
> >> kitchen. The argument got louder and louder and then we heard pans
> >> crashing. The boss lady ran back and yelled and screamed. Things calmed
> >> down and she returned and acting as if nothing had happened, as if the
> >> diners could not hear the same things she had heard. A few minutes later
> >> it started up again. I have not been back. It's been years. The place
> >> is still open, but I never see any cars there.

> > I can't tell you how many Chinese restaurants (or restaurants in
> > general) that I've been inside in my life and I've never, not one
> > single time, heard an argument in the kitchen. If they were speaking
> > in dialect, maybe you misunderstood the tone of voice for an argument.
> > It can sound that way when they're just talking.

> I had never heard it anywhere else. It sounded like serious fighting.
> It was almost comical because it started low and got increasingly loud
> with yelling and the pots and pans crashing. Boss mama would go back
> and yell and things cooled off. A little while later it started up
> again. It happened several times that night.

Having watched my share of those restaurant rescue type shows, I won't
disbelieve you - but thankfully I've never experienced anything like
that.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 06 Dec 2014 09:37:08 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2014-12-06 1:58 AM, sf wrote:

http://www.chefboyardee.com/history

> >> I like Barilla whole grain pasta, it's only 1/2 whole grain durum wheat and it is healthier than reg pasta.

> > Barilla is my favorite brand of pasta. I've tried to like whole wheat,
> > but I just can't - so I compensate by eating less of the regular
> > white.
> >

> I wonder what happened to that big protest against Barilla because the
> owner refused to portray *** families in its ads.

No idea. Didn't even know it was an issue. Barilla is Italian, so
that attitude makes sense. The current pope is more inclusive so
maybe the Barilla Boss change his mind... but I bet it won't happen
until after the synod changes theirs.

> I was advised to use Catelli Smart pasta. It is a healthy alternative
> and it is much tastier than whole wheat pasta.

Can't say I've seen that one, but I haven't looked for it either. I'm
happy with Barilla.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-12-06 12:29 PM, sf wrote:

>> I had never heard it anywhere else. It sounded like serious fighting.
>> It was almost comical because it started low and got increasingly loud
>> with yelling and the pots and pans crashing. Boss mama would go back
>> and yell and things cooled off. A little while later it started up
>> again. It happened several times that night.
>>

> Having watched my share of those restaurant rescue type shows, I won't
> disbelieve you - but thankfully I've never experienced anything like
> that.

No reason not to believe me. It is a not a Bove style story about it
happening in all Chinese restaurants. It is the only time I ever saw
something like that.... or heard in this case.

Don't put too much faith in all those restaurant rescues. Mystery Diners
is more of a "reality" show. It is so obviously faked. Most of the
others are not much better. Turnover in the business is very high. If
people don't work out they are gone. If a restaurant has been in
business for a long time and there is a specific staff problem the
owners or managers can usually figure it out.

My son managed a restaurant for a few years and I was surprised at the
turnover in his staff. Restaurant work is often an entry level job for
people entering the work force and many are just doing it until they
find something better. Then there are those who get fired, and a lot of
them are fired for theft. Bartenders and wait staff handling cash come
up with all sorts of schemes to skim money. That is why restaurants
have so many security cameras. They are watching the staff. They are
comparing the meals served up with the sales and cash reported.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 6 Dec 2014 13:51:18 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Fri, 5 Dec 2014 22:23:58 -0000, "Ophelia"

>> > Did you see the chicken feet?

>> No ... thank goodness!

> I've used chicken feet a couple of different times in the last year
> when I've made chicken stock, but they just add more fat than I'd
> normally have as far as I can tell.

For stock yes, but why served with dim sum?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 6 Dec 2014 18:24:58 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sat, 6 Dec 2014 13:51:18 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > > wrote:

> >> No ... thank goodness!

> > I've used chicken feet a couple of different times in the last year
> > when I've made chicken stock, but they just add more fat than I'd
> > normally have as far as I can tell.

> For stock yes, but why served with dim sum?

They like to eat chicken feet.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 06 Dec 2014 13:18:40 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> Don't put too much faith in all those restaurant rescues. Mystery Diners
> is more of a "reality" show. It is so obviously faked. Most of the
> others are not much better. T

I don't watch any with regularity, but they've been on for so long
it's pretty hard not to have watched at least a few: Restaurant
Rescue, Bar Rescue, the one on Fox with Gordon Ramsey.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 6 Dec 2014 18:24:58 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Sat, 6 Dec 2014 13:51:18 -0000, "Ophelia"

>> > I've used chicken feet a couple of different times in the last year
>> > when I've made chicken stock, but they just add more fat than I'd
>> > normally have as far as I can tell.

>> For stock yes, but why served with dim sum?

> They like to eat chicken feet.

They are welcome to them.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 6 Dec 2014 19:09:11 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sat, 6 Dec 2014 18:24:58 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > > wrote:

> >> For stock yes, but why served with dim sum?

> > They like to eat chicken feet.

> They are welcome to them.

My feelings too. I'm not going to use them for chicken stock anymore
either.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/5/2014 8:50 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Dec 2014 22:23:58 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>>

>> "dsi1" > wrote in message

>>> Dim sum is supposed to mean little pieces of the heart which I guess means
>>> small morsels of happiness. Truely, it does seem to make people happy.

>> It was very good. Ladies would come round with carts. I never knew what
>> to choose so I just pointed and was never disappointed

> Did you see the chicken feet?

My guess is that they boil it to get it soft, then fry it. Boy those
Chinese like that soft cartilage stuff - makes my flesh crawl!