Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Anyone here in northwestern NY?

Holy cow. Those poor guys are getting hit with Snowmageddon. I am in
the middle the middle of the Niagara Peninsula. When I look to the south
I see the thick snow laden clouds to the south. We had about 6 inches of
snow, but areas just south of Buffalo have been hit with 6 FEET of snow.
According to the latest forecasts, they are expecting another 30
inches tonight. Seriously...... 8 feet of snow over three days.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Holy cow. Those poor guys are getting hit with Snowmageddon. I am in
> the middle the middle of the Niagara Peninsula. When I look to the south
> I see the thick snow laden clouds to the south. We had about 6 inches of
> snow, but areas just south of Buffalo have been hit with 6 FEET of snow.
> According to the latest forecasts, they are expecting another 30
> inches tonight. Seriously...... 8 feet of snow over three days.

Isn't Sheldon up there somewhere? At least he has a tractor to plow
with, and I think LP heat so he won't freeze in a power failure.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/20/2014 6:40 PM, Pete C. wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> Holy cow. Those poor guys are getting hit with Snowmageddon. I am in
>> the middle the middle of the Niagara Peninsula. When I look to the south
>> I see the thick snow laden clouds to the south. We had about 6 inches of
>> snow, but areas just south of Buffalo have been hit with 6 FEET of snow.
>> According to the latest forecasts, they are expecting another 30
>> inches tonight. Seriously...... 8 feet of snow over three days.

> Isn't Sheldon up there somewhere? At least he has a tractor to plow
> with, and I think LP heat so he won't freeze in a power failure.

He's in the Catskills, much further south than Buffalo

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-11-20 20:21, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 11/20/2014 6:40 PM, Pete C. wrote:
>>
>> Dave Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> Holy cow. Those poor guys are getting hit with Snowmageddon. I am in
>>> the middle the middle of the Niagara Peninsula. When I look to the south
>>> I see the thick snow laden clouds to the south. We had about 6 inches of
>>> snow, but areas just south of Buffalo have been hit with 6 FEET of snow.
>>> According to the latest forecasts, they are expecting another 30
>>> inches tonight. Seriously...... 8 feet of snow over three days.

>> Isn't Sheldon up there somewhere? At least he has a tractor to plow
>> with, and I think LP heat so he won't freeze in a power failure.
>>

> He's in the Catskills, much further south than Buffalo

This snowmaggedon seems to have concentrated on an area just south of
Buffalo. The city and Fort Erie, just across the river, we hit with a
good dose of snow but nothing like the 6 feet plus that hit the
affected area. I hate to think about it. I am 6 feet tall, and if I
went out to shovel my driveway in 6 feet of snow it would be bad enough
to have to shovel that much snow, but it would be over my head and I
would have no idea which direction to head.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message

> Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> Holy cow. Those poor guys are getting hit with Snowmageddon. I am in
>> the middle the middle of the Niagara Peninsula. When I look to the south
>> I see the thick snow laden clouds to the south. We had about 6 inches of
>> snow, but areas just south of Buffalo have been hit with 6 FEET of snow.
>> According to the latest forecasts, they are expecting another 30
>> inches tonight. Seriously...... 8 feet of snow over three days.

> Isn't Sheldon up there somewhere? At least he has a tractor to plow
> with, and I think LP heat so he won't freeze in a power failure.

Some of my Facebook friends are there. Horrible!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 19:40:42 -0500, "Pete C." >
wrote:

>Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> Holy cow. Those poor guys are getting hit with Snowmageddon. I am in
>> the middle the middle of the Niagara Peninsula. When I look to the south
>> I see the thick snow laden clouds to the south. We had about 6 inches of
>> snow, but areas just south of Buffalo have been hit with 6 FEET of snow.
>> According to the latest forecasts, they are expecting another 30
>> inches tonight. Seriously...... 8 feet of snow over three days.

>Isn't Sheldon up there somewhere? At least he has a tractor to plow
>with, and I think LP heat so he won't freeze in a power failure.

I'm at the eastern part of NYS, in the northern Catskills, about a 45
minute drive to Albany. This is a snow belt but we didn't get any of
that storm that hit the western portion of the state... but just five
mintes ago a heavy snow squall passed through, so far no accumulation
and now the sun is out. I don't concern myself as I'm well prepared,
I've lived with snow most of my life. I have the plow on my tractor
and at the ready right alongside my driveway, tank is filled with
diesel and I have a 30 gallon diesel pump tank filled in my barn. My
500 gallon propane tank is filled so I can last a very long time... I
heat my house and cook with propane, I make hot water with a tankless
on-demand propane heater, and in case of a protracted power failure I
have a ventless propane heater in my basement that can heat the entire
house even at -30ºF... ventless gas heaters need no electric and need
no chimney, so I really need no generator, especially in winter, my
garage becomes a giant freezer.... everyone who lives where pipes can
freeze in winter *needs* a ventless gas heater... I was contemplating
a whole house propane generator but outages don't last long and the
generator requires constant servicing, and would have cost about
$15,000, compared to $200 for a ventless gas heater that needs no
servicing. I can live quite well without TV and PC for a few days. I
have a crank radio and battery operated LED lanterns that give good
light and go for nearly 100 hours on 3 D cells, I have plenty of
candles too. And if things get really bad, if my Landcruiser can't
get through no one is getting through... that Land Rover you see
hawked on TV is toys r us compared with this beast:
http://i62.tinypic.com/2czd40.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 19:40:42 -0500, "Pete C." >
> wrote:
>

>>Dave Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> Holy cow. Those poor guys are getting hit with Snowmageddon. I am in
>>> the middle the middle of the Niagara Peninsula. When I look to the south
>>> I see the thick snow laden clouds to the south. We had about 6 inches of
>>> snow, but areas just south of Buffalo have been hit with 6 FEET of snow.
>>> According to the latest forecasts, they are expecting another 30
>>> inches tonight. Seriously...... 8 feet of snow over three days.

>>Isn't Sheldon up there somewhere? At least he has a tractor to plow
>>with, and I think LP heat so he won't freeze in a power failure.

> I'm at the eastern part of NYS, in the northern Catskills, about a 45
> minute drive to Albany. This is a snow belt but we didn't get any of
> that storm that hit the western portion of the state... but just five
> mintes ago a heavy snow squall passed through, so far no accumulation
> and now the sun is out. I don't concern myself as I'm well prepared,
> I've lived with snow most of my life. I have the plow on my tractor
> and at the ready right alongside my driveway, tank is filled with
> diesel and I have a 30 gallon diesel pump tank filled in my barn. My
> 500 gallon propane tank is filled so I can last a very long time... I
> heat my house and cook with propane, I make hot water with a tankless
> on-demand propane heater, and in case of a protracted power failure I
> have a ventless propane heater in my basement that can heat the entire
> house even at -30ºF... ventless gas heaters need no electric and need
> no chimney, so I really need no generator, especially in winter, my
> garage becomes a giant freezer.... everyone who lives where pipes can
> freeze in winter *needs* a ventless gas heater... I was contemplating
> a whole house propane generator but outages don't last long and the
> generator requires constant servicing, and would have cost about
> $15,000, compared to $200 for a ventless gas heater that needs no
> servicing. I can live quite well without TV and PC for a few days. I
> have a crank radio and battery operated LED lanterns that give good
> light and go for nearly 100 hours on 3 D cells, I have plenty of
> candles too. And if things get really bad, if my Landcruiser can't
> get through no one is getting through... that Land Rover you see
> hawked on TV is toys r us compared with this beast:
> http://i62.tinypic.com/2czd40.jpg

This individual living in Alabama is impressed, I don't even own a snow
shovel.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 19:40:42 -0500, "Pete C." >
> wrote:
>

> >Dave Smith wrote:
> >>
> >> Holy cow. Those poor guys are getting hit with Snowmageddon. I am in
> >> the middle the middle of the Niagara Peninsula. When I look to the south
> >> I see the thick snow laden clouds to the south. We had about 6 inches of
> >> snow, but areas just south of Buffalo have been hit with 6 FEET of snow.
> >> According to the latest forecasts, they are expecting another 30
> >> inches tonight. Seriously...... 8 feet of snow over three days.

> >Isn't Sheldon up there somewhere? At least he has a tractor to plow
> >with, and I think LP heat so he won't freeze in a power failure.

> I'm at the eastern part of NYS, in the northern Catskills, about a 45
> minute drive to Albany. This is a snow belt but we didn't get any of
> that storm that hit the western portion of the state... but just five
> mintes ago a heavy snow squall passed through, so far no accumulation
> and now the sun is out. I don't concern myself as I'm well prepared,
> I've lived with snow most of my life. I have the plow on my tractor
> and at the ready right alongside my driveway, tank is filled with
> diesel and I have a 30 gallon diesel pump tank filled in my barn. My
> 500 gallon propane tank is filled so I can last a very long time... I
> heat my house and cook with propane, I make hot water with a tankless
> on-demand propane heater, and in case of a protracted power failure I
> have a ventless propane heater in my basement that can heat the entire
> house even at -30ºF... ventless gas heaters need no electric and need
> no chimney, so I really need no generator, especially in winter, my
> garage becomes a giant freezer.... everyone who lives where pipes can
> freeze in winter *needs* a ventless gas heater... I was contemplating
> a whole house propane generator but outages don't last long and the
> generator requires constant servicing, and would have cost about
> $15,000, compared to $200 for a ventless gas heater that needs no
> servicing. I can live quite well without TV and PC for a few days. I
> have a crank radio and battery operated LED lanterns that give good
> light and go for nearly 100 hours on 3 D cells, I have plenty of
> candles too. And if things get really bad, if my Landcruiser can't
> get through no one is getting through... that Land Rover you see
> hawked on TV is toys r us compared with this beast:
> http://i62.tinypic.com/2czd40.jpg

I used to go to Albany fairly regularly before I moved to Texas. With
your LP heating and cooking and hot water you definitely don't need a
big whole house generator. You might consider a nice Honda EU2000
generator with an LP kit on it though, they are very quiet, require
minimal maintenance and with the LP kit you can run it from your big
tank and not deal with refueling headaches. It's small enough that you
can use regular gas quick connect fittings to feed it, so it can be
stored indoors and hooked up in a few minutes when needed. The biggest
issue with the little Hondas is gas gumming up in them so with the LP
kit that issue is eliminated entirely and they just need a <1qt oil
change periodically.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/11/2014 10:43 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 19:40:42 -0500, "Pete C." >

and in case of a protracted power failure I
> have a ventless propane heater in my basement that can heat the entire
> house even at -30ºF... ventless gas heaters need no electric and need
> no chimney,

Surely there must be some sort of vent to the outside to deal with the
CO and CO2.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:

> On 21/11/2014 10:43 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> > On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 19:40:42 -0500, "Pete C." >

> and in case of a protracted power failure I
> > have a ventless propane heater in my basement that can heat the entire
> > house even at -30ºF... ventless gas heaters need no electric and need
> > no chimney,

> Surely there must be some sort of vent to the outside to deal with the
> CO and CO2.
> Graham

Nope. Those heaters normally have an oxygen depletion sensor that will
shut them down, but they indeed have no outside exhaust. You certainly
should have a decent CO detector in the house, but the gas burners don't
product much CO if they are in proper condition, CO2 isn't typically a
problem either. They do produce a fair amount of humidity which is why I
don't use such a heater in my shop where it would rust expensive tools
in short order.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 21, 2014 11:45:45 AM UTC-8, graham wrote:
> On 21/11/2014 10:43 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> > On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 19:40:42 -0500, "Pete C." >

> and in case of a protracted power failure I
> > have a ventless propane heater in my basement that can heat the entire
> > house even at -30ºF... ventless gas heaters need no electric and need
> > no chimney,

> Surely there must be some sort of vent to the outside to deal with the
> CO and CO2.

My neighbor uses one to heat his garage, but our local code does not
permit them. So he disconnects it from the natural gas line when he's
not using it.

You can use a gas range without a vent, so?