Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default McDonald's rejects Simplot's genetically modified potato

http://tinyurl.com/mcoh2dw

The Idaho agribusiness continues to get blowback over the Innate line
of spuds.

By ZACH KYLE

ovember 15, 2014

The J.R. Simplot Co.'s freshly approved genetically modified potato is
not being welcomed by one of the company's oldest business partners.

McDonald's, the world's largest fast-food company and a longtime buyer
of Simplot potatoes for french fries, says it doesn't plan to buy
Simplot's latest genetically modified organism, the Innate potato.

"McDonald's USA does not source GMO potatoes, nor do we have current
plans to change our sourcing practices," the company said in a
statement.

The Innate line of potatoes received federal approval Nov. 7 to go to
market. The potatoes have fewer sugars than conventional potatoes and
less asparagine, which has the potential to become a carcinogen -
acrylamide - when fried. The modified potato contains only potato
genes, not genes from other organisms. Hence its name, "Innate."

Simplot spokesman Doug Cole didn't address the company's plans to sell
to the fast-food industry or the dehydrated potato industry, which
both have urged growers against planting GMO potatoes. But Cole said
the fresh potato market would embrace Innate.

Consumers will be receptive to the reduced sugars and
carcinogen-causing asparagine, Cole said. Because only 400 test acres
of Innate varieties were planted and harvested this fall, production
can't ramp up until after the 2015 harvest, he said.

Rupert potato grower Duane Grant said he's been told by buyers in the
dehydrated potato industry not to plant the GMO potatoes. He hopes to
line up willing buyers so that he can plant the biotech potatoes and
reap the higher yields that come with their reduced bruising, he said.

This isn't the first time the fast-food industry has resisted GMO
potatoes. More than a decade ago, Monsanto brought its bug-resistant
"New Leaf" line of genetically modified potato to market. Buyers, led
by the fast-food industry, rejected the Monsanto spud, and it was
pulled from production due to lack of business.

Grant said consumers will be more receptive to Innate because it
benefits them, not just growers.

The key for Simplot and for growers, Grant said, will be convincing
the food industry, which is worried about consumer backlash, to trust
the product.

"Brand equity is extremely important to quick-serve restaurants,"
Grant said. "They will avoid conflict whenever possible in order to
protect equity of their brand name."

Read more he
http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/1...#storylink=cpy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet B wrote:

The key thing here "The modified potato contains only potato genes, not
genes from other organisms". This means they are fundamentally
comparable to any normal hybrid potato, and quite a bit different from
other MGO plants. Of course the scientifically challenged population
will continue to fear them, much like they mindlessly fear "nuclear"
which lead to "nuclear" being drooped from the name of Nuclear Magnetic
Resonance Imaging a.k.a. the ubiquitous MRI which has nothing to do with
"radiation" in the way the scientifically challenged think.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 09:13:25 -0500, "Pete C." >
wrote:

>Janet B wrote:
>>

>The key thing here "The modified potato contains only potato genes, not
>genes from other organisms". This means they are fundamentally
>comparable to any normal hybrid potato, and quite a bit different from
>other MGO plants. Of course the scientifically challenged population
>will continue to fear them, much like they mindlessly fear "nuclear"
>which lead to "nuclear" being drooped from the name of Nuclear Magnetic
>Resonance Imaging a.k.a. the ubiquitous MRI which has nothing to do with
>"radiation" in the way the scientifically challenged think.

Please quote properly. I said no such thing. I offered a newspaper
article for this group to read if they chose.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/15/2014 8:34 AM, Janet B wrote:
> http://tinyurl.com/mcoh2dw
>
> The Idaho agribusiness continues to get blowback over the Innate line
> of spuds.
>
> By ZACH KYLE

> McDonald's, the world's largest fast-food company and a longtime buyer
> of Simplot potatoes for french fries, says it doesn't plan to buy
> Simplot's latest genetically modified organism, the Innate potato.
>
> "McDonald's USA does not source GMO potatoes, nor do we have current
> plans to change our sourcing practices," the company said in a
> statement.

Smart on their part. Be they good or bad, they are too controversial
for a big chain to start selling them to the masses.

That may change 10 or 20 years from now, but right now GM foods scare
lot of people. Personally, I'm not so sure yet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 06:34:23 -0700, Janet B >
wrote:

>http://tinyurl.com/mcoh2dw

snip
I'm just curious . . . has anyone read the article and not just the
headline?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 13:54:20 -0400, wrote:

>On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 12:03:38 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>>On 11/15/2014 8:34 AM, Janet B wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/mcoh2dw

>>> The Idaho agribusiness continues to get blowback over the Innate line
>>> of spuds.
>>>
>>> By ZACH KYLE

>>> McDonald's, the world's largest fast-food company and a longtime buyer
>>> of Simplot potatoes for french fries, says it doesn't plan to buy
>>> Simplot's latest genetically modified organism, the Innate potato.
>>>
>>> "McDonald's USA does not source GMO potatoes, nor do we have current
>>> plans to change our sourcing practices," the company said in a
>>> statement.

>>Smart on their part. Be they good or bad, they are too controversial
>>for a big chain to start selling them to the masses.
>>
>>That may change 10 or 20 years from now, but right now GM foods scare
>>lot of people. Personally, I'm not so sure yet.

>I think it's all part of them all trying to appear good, I saw an ad
>for another burger chain that was promoting that it only used chicken
>that was fed good food, not chemicals and antibiotics. Forget which
>one but it wasn't KFC.

Friskies
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friskies
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-11-15 12:03 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> "McDonald's USA does not source GMO potatoes, nor do we have current
>> plans to change our sourcing practices," the company said in a
>> statement.

> Smart on their part. Be they good or bad, they are too controversial
> for a big chain to start selling them to the masses.

And we all know how McDonalds is co concerned for the health of its
customers.

> That may change 10 or 20 years from now, but right now GM foods scare
> lot of people. Personally, I'm not so sure yet.

One thing to think about may be the extra herbicides we may be ingesting
as a result of their genetic engineering. Monsanto's Round Up is great
herbicide commonly used by farmers to kill off weeds or previous
cultivated crops so that a new crop can be sown. Timing is crucial
because farmers have to get out on their fields in the spring and them
as soon as they are dry enough to be worked and then get the seed
planted while there is still enough moisture for germination and to
support the new plants. Many of the GMO products are tolerant of
RoundUp. It doesn't kill those plants, but you can be sure the
chemicals are getting sucked into the crops. Then when the farmer
decides to get rid of the crop he can't just spray it with RoundUp
anymore because that herbicide won't work on it anymore.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15/11/2014 10:54 AM, wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 12:03:38 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> On 11/15/2014 8:34 AM, Janet B wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/mcoh2dw

>>> The Idaho agribusiness continues to get blowback over the Innate line
>>> of spuds.
>>>
>>> By ZACH KYLE

>>> McDonald's, the world's largest fast-food company and a longtime buyer
>>> of Simplot potatoes for french fries, says it doesn't plan to buy
>>> Simplot's latest genetically modified organism, the Innate potato.
>>>
>>> "McDonald's USA does not source GMO potatoes, nor do we have current
>>> plans to change our sourcing practices," the company said in a
>>> statement.

>> Smart on their part. Be they good or bad, they are too controversial
>> for a big chain to start selling them to the masses.
>>
>> That may change 10 or 20 years from now, but right now GM foods scare
>> lot of people. Personally, I'm not so sure yet.

> I think it's all part of them all trying to appear good, I saw an ad
> for another burger chain that was promoting that it only used chicken
> that was fed good food, not chemicals and antibiotics. Forget which
> one but it wasn't KFC.

A&W. My grandchildren usually ask to go there when they stay with me. I
must say that I like the burgers there too, especially the "Buddy
Burgers" that consist of a small burger with caramelized onions:-)
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 13:24:49 -0700, graham > wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/mcoh2dw

>>> I think it's all part of them all trying to appear good, I saw an ad
>>> for another burger chain that was promoting that it only used chicken
>>> that was fed good food, not chemicals and antibiotics. Forget which
>>> one but it wasn't KFC.
>>>

>>A&W. My grandchildren usually ask to go there when they stay with me. I
>>must say that I like the burgers there too, especially the "Buddy
>>Burgers" that consist of a small burger with caramelized onions:-)
>>Graham

> That was the one - I won't do that for my great-grandchildren - I
> simply cook whatever it is that I cook that they like best We
> sometimes have some odd combos but at least it's a healthy meal, I
> just want them to learn life does not begin and end with fast food.

Hey you are talking to a man who teaches his grandkids to cook!!!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 21:08:44 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

> wrote in message
. ..

http://tinyurl.com/mcoh2dw

>>> That was the one - I won't do that for my great-grandchildren - I
>>> simply cook whatever it is that I cook that they like best We
>>> sometimes have some odd combos but at least it's a healthy meal, I
>>> just want them to learn life does not begin and end with fast food.

>>Hey you are talking to a man who teaches his grandkids to cook!!!

> I was reading the bit where he said they ask to go and he takes them

Yes, but what I said is still true) He spoils them ... so what?))))))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/mcoh2dw

>>> I think it's all part of them all trying to appear good, I saw an ad
>>> for another burger chain that was promoting that it only used chicken
>>> that was fed good food, not chemicals and antibiotics. Forget which
>>> one but it wasn't KFC.
>>>

>> A&W. My grandchildren usually ask to go there when they stay with me. I
>> must say that I like the burgers there too, especially the "Buddy
>> Burgers" that consist of a small burger with caramelized onions:-)
>> Graham

> That was the one - I won't do that for my great-grandchildren - I
> simply cook whatever it is that I cook that they like best We
> sometimes have some odd combos but at least it's a healthy meal, I
> just want them to learn life does not begin and end with fast food.

They don't go very often!!!! They eat very healthily on a day to day
basis and on our last trip, we discussed the ingredient breakdown that
A&W prints on the tray liners. Once in a while does no measurable harm
and we cook and bake together otherwise.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15/11/2014 3:04 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-11-15 4:02 PM, wrote:
>
>>> A&W. My grandchildren usually ask to go there when they stay with me. I
>>> must say that I like the burgers there too, especially the "Buddy
>>> Burgers" that consist of a small burger with caramelized onions:-)
>>> Graham

>> That was the one - I won't do that for my great-grandchildren - I
>> simply cook whatever it is that I cook that they like best We
>> sometimes have some odd combos but at least it's a healthy meal, I
>> just want them to learn life does not begin and end with fast food.
>>

> I have to wonder what sort of crap people are fed at home that they
> would like fast food burgers. My mother was very competent in the
> kitchen... in the days when women stayed home and cooked. I was never
> impressed with fast food. My brothers and I learned to cook. My son
> was raised on good food and worked for a while in restaurants. He is not
> at all into fast food.

FFS they are children! They certainly eat well at home and I like the
burgers there even though I'm not a devotee of fat food restos (Im
cooking a brace of pheasants with port and redcurrant jelly this w/e).
I also take them to conventional restaurants where they can interact
with the waiter and order their own choices.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 16:02:13 -0700, graham > wrote:

> On 15/11/2014 3:04 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> >

> > I have to wonder what sort of crap people are fed at home that they
> > would like fast food burgers. My mother was very competent in the
> > kitchen... in the days when women stayed home and cooked. I was never
> > impressed with fast food. My brothers and I learned to cook. My son
> > was raised on good food and worked for a while in restaurants. He is not
> > at all into fast food.

> FFS they are children! They certainly eat well at home and I like the
> burgers there even though I'm not a devotee of fat food restos (Im
> cooking a brace of pheasants with port and redcurrant jelly this w/e).
> I also take them to conventional restaurants where they can interact
> with the waiter and order their own choices.

I'm firmly on your side, Graham. My own grandchildren's parents never
take them to a FF restaurant (nor does my husband) - that's my
territory. They don't even ask me, I'm the one who suggests it! They
are learning to cook from scratch with me and their parents and I
don't experience a shred of guilt when I take them because all have
healthy eating habits.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 15:52:52 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 16:02:13 -0700, graham > wrote:
>
>> On 15/11/2014 3:04 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> >

>> > I have to wonder what sort of crap people are fed at home that they
>> > would like fast food burgers. My mother was very competent in the
>> > kitchen... in the days when women stayed home and cooked. I was never
>> > impressed with fast food. My brothers and I learned to cook. My son
>> > was raised on good food and worked for a while in restaurants. He is not
>> > at all into fast food.

>> FFS they are children! They certainly eat well at home and I like the
>> burgers there even though I'm not a devotee of fat food restos (Im
>> cooking a brace of pheasants with port and redcurrant jelly this w/e).
>> I also take them to conventional restaurants where they can interact
>> with the waiter and order their own choices.

>I'm firmly on your side, Graham. My own grandchildren's parents never
>take them to a FF restaurant (nor does my husband) - that's my
>territory. They don't even ask me, I'm the one who suggests it! They
>are learning to cook from scratch with me and their parents and I
>don't experience a shred of guilt when I take them because all have
>healthy eating habits.

Going to a fast food restaurant occasionally does no harm. It's
better than making the kids feel smug and superior to other kids, or
making them feel out of step with other kids and inevitably causing
them to sneak ff and lie about it.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

t...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/04/business/energy-
> environment/04weed.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
>
> http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...to-superweeds-
> idUSTRE78J3TN20110920
>
> Janet UK.

no, it is the natural result of using roundup, regardless of roundup ready
crops.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15/11/2014 5:48 PM, Janet B wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 15:52:52 -0800, sf > wrote:

>>> FFS they are children! They certainly eat well at home and I like the
>>> burgers there even though I'm not a devotee of fat food restos (Im
>>> cooking a brace of pheasants with port and redcurrant jelly this w/e).
>>> I also take them to conventional restaurants where they can interact
>>> with the waiter and order their own choices.

>> I'm firmly on your side, Graham. My own grandchildren's parents never
>> take them to a FF restaurant (nor does my husband) - that's my
>> territory. They don't even ask me, I'm the one who suggests it! They
>> are learning to cook from scratch with me and their parents and I
>> don't experience a shred of guilt when I take them because all have
>> healthy eating habits.

> Going to a fast food restaurant occasionally does no harm. It's
> better than making the kids feel smug and superior to other kids, or
> making them feel out of step with other kids and inevitably causing
> them to sneak ff and lie about it.
> Janet US

Some years ago my grandchildren decided that McDo was not for them. It
was their decision after they had discussed *their* reasons (very valid
ones, I might add) between themselves.
I encourage them to argue with me, respectfully of course. It engenders
independent and critical thinking.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-11-15 21:22, graham wrote:
> On 15/11/2014 5:48 PM, Janet B wrote:

>>> I'm firmly on your side, Graham. My own grandchildren's parents never
>>> take them to a FF restaurant (nor does my husband) - that's my
>>> territory. They don't even ask me, I'm the one who suggests it! They
>>> are learning to cook from scratch with me and their parents and I
>>> don't experience a shred of guilt when I take them because all have
>>> healthy eating habits.

>> Going to a fast food restaurant occasionally does no harm. It's
>> better than making the kids feel smug and superior to other kids, or
>> making them feel out of step with other kids and inevitably causing
>> them to sneak ff and lie about it.
>> Janet US
>>

> Some years ago my grandchildren decided that McDo was not for them. It
> was their decision after they had discussed *their* reasons (very valid
> ones, I might add) between themselves.
> I encourage them to argue with me, respectfully of course. It engenders
> independent and critical thinking.

Hmmm did they wonder if it is better than feeling smug and superior to
other kids, and making them feel out of step with other kids and
inevitably causing them to sneak ff and lie about it as Janet sees it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 15, 2014 7:11:49 PM UTC-6, Pico Rico wrote:
> "Janet" > wrote in message
> t...

> >> I don't think that is "what it means".

> > She's right. It's the result of using roundup ready crops.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/04/business/energy-
> > environment/04weed.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
> >
> > http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...to-superweeds-
> > idUSTRE78J3TN20110920
> >
> > Janet UK.

> no, it is the natural result of using roundup, regardless of roundup ready
> crops.

True, but far more Roundup is used because of the Roundup ready varieties.

Tell you what I don't support, it's Monsanto's argument that it owns genes
that have invaded non-GMO crops, and left their genetic information. If
Farmer A had a cow, and Farmer B had a patented bull, and his bull jumped
the fence and mated with Farmer A's cow, against Farmer A's wishes, Farmer B
has no legitimate ownership of the calves born as a result of what was
essentially a rape of Farmer A's property. When the worship of Capitalism is
allowed to trump the British common law rights of farmers, we begin the slide
toward the negative utopia of *The Space Merchants*.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Space_Merchants

I'd be playing good odds if I bet that the same Conservatives that are
tearing pages out of books are keeping *The Space Merchants* out of their
school libraries. How Stalinist--how Maoist of them? They are engaging in
mass stupidity, and don't see how Capitalism has subortinated everything
that Jesus preached in their Bible to a worship of Mammon. I have for years
contended that Mammon is not about the personal feelings of selfishness,
that thing that we all have, but about elevating greed to the status of a
moral good. I paraphrase St. Paul: you cannot follow both Jesus Christ and
Ayn Rand.

As an Atheist leaning Agnostic, I always fall in line with those those whose
hearts belong to the words of Jesus, rather than those who pick and choose
passages from the Bible that restrict sexuality, and deny evolution.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15/11/2014 7:59 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-11-15 21:22, graham wrote:

>>> Going to a fast food restaurant occasionally does no harm. It's
>>> better than making the kids feel smug and superior to other kids, or
>>> making them feel out of step with other kids and inevitably causing
>>> them to sneak ff and lie about it.
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> Some years ago my grandchildren decided that McDo was not for them. It
>> was their decision after they had discussed *their* reasons (very valid
>> ones, I might add) between themselves.
>> I encourage them to argue with me, respectfully of course. It engenders
>> independent and critical thinking.
>>

> Hmmm did they wonder if it is better than feeling smug and superior to
> other kids, and making them feel out of step with other kids and
> inevitably causing them to sneak ff and lie about it as Janet sees it?

Jesus, Dave! you're in a thoroughly cynical mood tonight! Wassamatter?
Been at the brandy meant for your fruit cakes?
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/15/2014 4:22 PM, graham wrote:
> Some years ago my grandchildren decided that McDo was not for them. It
> was their decision after they had discussed *their* reasons (very valid
> ones, I might add) between themselves.
> I encourage them to argue with me, respectfully of course. It engenders
> independent and critical thinking.
> Graham

I would have told them, "You kids are full of shit. And no - you can't
borrow my guitar or my car or whatever the hell you're looking to git
from me! Now you punks get the hell out of my sight!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
> On 15/11/2014 5:48 PM, Janet B wrote:

>>> I'm firmly on your side, Graham. My own grandchildren's parents never
>>> take them to a FF restaurant (nor does my husband) - that's my
>>> territory. They don't even ask me, I'm the one who suggests it! They
>>> are learning to cook from scratch with me and their parents and I
>>> don't experience a shred of guilt when I take them because all have
>>> healthy eating habits.

>> Going to a fast food restaurant occasionally does no harm. It's
>> better than making the kids feel smug and superior to other kids, or
>> making them feel out of step with other kids and inevitably causing
>> them to sneak ff and lie about it.
>> Janet US
>>

> Some years ago my grandchildren decided that McDo was not for them. It was
> their decision after they had discussed *their* reasons (very valid ones,
> I might add) between themselves.
> I encourage them to argue with me, respectfully of course. It engenders
> independent and critical thinking.
> Graham

and what were their reasons?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-11-16 12:09 AM, graham wrote:
> On 15/11/2014 7:59 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Some years ago my grandchildren decided that McDo was not for them. It
>>> was their decision after they had discussed *their* reasons (very valid
>>> ones, I might add) between themselves.
>>> I encourage them to argue with me, respectfully of course. It engenders
>>> independent and critical thinking.
>>>

>> Hmmm did they wonder if it is better than feeling smug and superior to
>> other kids, and making them feel out of step with other kids and
>> inevitably causing them to sneak ff and lie about it as Janet sees it?
>>

> Jesus, Dave! you're in a thoroughly cynical mood tonight! Wassamatter?
> Been at the brandy meant for your fruit cakes?

I was alluding to Janet B's response to my comment about the sort of
crap that people must be used to at home that they would actually line
McDonalds food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Nov 2014 09:02:46 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>> Hmmm did they wonder if it is better than feeling smug and superior to
>>> other kids, and making them feel out of step with other kids and
>>> inevitably causing them to sneak ff and lie about it as Janet sees it?
>>>

>> Jesus, Dave! you're in a thoroughly cynical mood tonight! Wassamatter?
>> Been at the brandy meant for your fruit cakes?
>>

>I was alluding to Janet B's response to my comment about the sort of
>crap that people must be used to at home that they would actually line
>McDonalds food.

Check it out. I was responding to sf.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-11-16 9:07 AM, Janet B wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Nov 2014 09:02:46 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>>> Jesus, Dave! you're in a thoroughly cynical mood tonight! Wassamatter?
>>> Been at the brandy meant for your fruit cakes?
>>>

>> I was alluding to Janet B's response to my comment about the sort of
>> crap that people must be used to at home that they would actually line
>> McDonalds food.

> Check it out. I was responding to sf.

You may have been following up to the post made by sf, which was pretty
much echoing Gary's reply to my post about what people are used to that
they would consider McD's good and how my son was never into fast food.
Since your attitude is similar to theirs, the snide insinuation about
feeling smug and superior must obviously have been directed at me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Nov 2014 09:22:55 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2014-11-16 9:07 AM, Janet B wrote:
> > On Sun, 16 Nov 2014 09:02:46 -0500, Dave Smith
> > > wrote:

> >> I was alluding to Janet B's response to my comment about the sort of
> >> crap that people must be used to at home that they would actually line
> >> McDonalds food.

> > Check it out. I was responding to sf.

> You may have been following up to the post made by sf, which was pretty
> much echoing Gary's reply to my post about what people are used to that
> they would consider McD's good and how my son was never into fast food.
> Since your attitude is similar to theirs, the snide insinuation about
> feeling smug and superior must obviously have been directed at me.

Maybe you posted in the wrong thread. Gary hasn't commented in this
one and I wasn't echoing anyone except Graham. Open your headers and
do your research.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-11-16 11:01 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Nov 2014 09:22:55 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2014-11-16 9:07 AM, Janet B wrote:
>>> On Sun, 16 Nov 2014 09:02:46 -0500, Dave Smith

>>> Check it out. I was responding to sf.

>> You may have been following up to the post made by sf, which was pretty
>> much echoing Gary's reply to my post about what people are used to that
>> they would consider McD's good and how my son was never into fast food.
>> Since your attitude is similar to theirs, the snide insinuation about
>> feeling smug and superior must obviously have been directed at me.

> Maybe you posted in the wrong thread. Gary hasn't commented in this
> one and I wasn't echoing anyone except Graham. Open your headers and
> do your research.

Okay. My bad. It was Graham, not Gary, but it still leads back at my
comment, because I was the one who questioned the appeal of that stuff
they sell at the golden arches. No need to pick nits. You are probably
getting enough of it there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 15, 2014 11:20:38 PM UTC-5, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> On Saturday, November 15, 2014 7:11:49 PM UTC-6, Pico Rico wrote:
> > "Janet" > wrote in message
> > t...
> > > In article >, says...

> > > She's right. It's the result of using roundup ready crops.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/04/business/energy-
> > > environment/04weed.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
> > >
> > > http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...to-superweeds-
> > > idUSTRE78J3TN20110920
> > >
> > > Janet UK.

> > no, it is the natural result of using roundup, regardless of roundup ready
> > crops.

> True, but far more Roundup is used because of the Roundup ready varieties.
>
> Tell you what I don't support, it's Monsanto's argument that it owns genes
> that have invaded non-GMO crops, and left their genetic information. If
> Farmer A had a cow, and Farmer B had a patented bull, and his bull jumped
> the fence and mated with Farmer A's cow, against Farmer A's wishes, Farmer B
> has no legitimate ownership of the calves born as a result of what was
> essentially a rape of Farmer A's property. When the worship of Capitalism is
> allowed to trump the British common law rights of farmers, we begin the slide
> toward the negative utopia of *The Space Merchants*.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Space_Merchants
>
> I'd be playing good odds if I bet that the same Conservatives that are
> tearing pages out of books are keeping *The Space Merchants* out of their
> school libraries. How Stalinist--how Maoist of them? They are engaging in
> mass stupidity, and don't see how Capitalism has subortinated everything
> that Jesus preached in their Bible to a worship of Mammon. I have for years
> contended that Mammon is not about the personal feelings of selfishness,
> that thing that we all have, but about elevating greed to the status of a
> moral good. I paraphrase St. Paul: you cannot follow both Jesus Christ and
> Ayn Rand.
>
> As an Atheist leaning Agnostic, I always fall in line with those those whose
> hearts belong to the words of Jesus, rather than those who pick and choose
> passages from the Bible that restrict sexuality, and deny evolution.
>
> --Bryan

Yes, we've established that you are completely fascinated with yourself. It's a shame the rest of us don't find you as compelling. Shut. Up. And failing that, at least keep your meanderings on topic.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/mcoh2dw

>>> A&W. My grandchildren usually ask to go there when they stay with
>>> me. I
>>> must say that I like the burgers there too, especially the "Buddy
>>> Burgers" that consist of a small burger with caramelized onions:-)
>>> Graham

>> That was the one - I won't do that for my great-grandchildren - I
>> simply cook whatever it is that I cook that they like best We
>> sometimes have some odd combos but at least it's a healthy meal, I
>> just want them to learn life does not begin and end with fast food.
>>

> They don't go very often!!!! They eat very healthily on a day to day
> basis and on our last trip, we discussed the ingredient breakdown that
> A&W prints on the tray liners. Once in a while does no measurable harm
> and we cook and bake together otherwise.
> Graham

One thing about kids: you don't want to make something all the more
enticing by making it forbidden. Better to do as you are doing and
treat it casually, giving them nothing to rebel against.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/15/2014 11:19 AM, Janet B wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 06:34:23 -0700, Janet B >
> wrote:
>
>> http://tinyurl.com/mcoh2dw
>>

> snip
> I'm just curious . . . has anyone read the article and not just the
> headline?
> Janet US

I did, and I look forward to eating them (and growing them, if seed
potato stock becomes available for sale). They're an improved Russet
Burbank, which was an improvement over existing potato varieties.

People who reflexively scream about GMO varieties sound as ridiculous
as the people who rail against in vitro fertilization on the grounds
that it's unnatural. Both are techniques that can be misused, in which
case they are worthy of criticism. But most of the time it's just
progress as usual.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 16, 2014 1:32:54 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> On Saturday, November 15, 2014 11:20:38 PM UTC-5, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> > On Saturday, November 15, 2014 7:11:49 PM UTC-6, Pico Rico wrote:
> > > "Janet" > wrote in message
> > > t...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/04/business/energy-

> > > no, it is the natural result of using roundup, regardless of roundup ready
> > > crops.

> > True, but far more Roundup is used because of the Roundup ready varieties.
> >
> > Tell you what I don't support, it's Monsanto's argument that it owns genes
> > that have invaded non-GMO crops, and left their genetic information. If
> > Farmer A had a cow, and Farmer B had a patented bull, and his bull jumped
> > the fence and mated with Farmer A's cow, against Farmer A's wishes, Farmer B
> > has no legitimate ownership of the calves born as a result of what was
> > essentially a rape of Farmer A's property. When the worship of Capitalism is
> > allowed to trump the British common law rights of farmers, we begin the slide
> > toward the negative utopia of *The Space Merchants*.
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Space_Merchants
> >
> > I'd be playing good odds if I bet that the same Conservatives that are
> > tearing pages out of books are keeping *The Space Merchants* out of their
> > school libraries. How Stalinist--how Maoist of them? They are engaging in
> > mass stupidity, and don't see how Capitalism has subortinated everything
> > that Jesus preached in their Bible to a worship of Mammon. I have for years
> > contended that Mammon is not about the personal feelings of selfishness,
> > that thing that we all have, but about elevating greed to the status of a
> > moral good. I paraphrase St. Paul: you cannot follow both Jesus Christ and
> > Ayn Rand.
> >
> > As an Atheist leaning Agnostic, I always fall in line with those those whose
> > hearts belong to the words of Jesus, rather than those who pick and choose
> > passages from the Bible that restrict sexuality, and deny evolution.
> >
> > --Bryan

> Yes, we've established that you are completely fascinated with yourself. It's a shame the rest of us don't find you as compelling. Shut. Up. And failing that, at least keep your meanderings on topic.

I'd say about half of the folks here would agree with you, but you are
almost universally thought of as a worthless anonymous coward who only
occasionally posts anything on topic, and then it's just to justify your
continued presence here.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Nov 2014 13:34:43 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

> I'd say about half of the folks here would agree with you, but you are
> almost universally thought of as a worthless anonymous coward who only
> occasionally posts anything on topic, and then it's just to justify your
> continued presence here.

Medavis actually posts an occasional on topic tidbit? Wonder of
wonders!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/mcoh2dw

>>> That was the one - I won't do that for my great-grandchildren - I
>>> simply cook whatever it is that I cook that they like best We
>>> sometimes have some odd combos but at least it's a healthy meal, I
>>> just want them to learn life does not begin and end with fast food.
>>>

>> They don't go very often!!!! They eat very healthily on a day to day
>> basis and on our last trip, we discussed the ingredient breakdown that
>> A&W prints on the tray liners. Once in a while does no measurable harm
>> and we cook and bake together otherwise.
>> Graham

> One thing about kids: you don't want to make something all the more
> enticing by making it forbidden. Better to do as you are doing and treat
> it casually, giving them nothing to rebel against.

I took them a couple of times to a "family" restaurant that they enjoyed
with their parents and other grandparents but on the second occasion,
the batter on my fish was so salty (to my taste) that I decided that I
wouldn't take them there again. I explained why and they could see my
point and accepted the decision after some discussion. They were 6 and 8
at the time and I have always encouraged them to argue.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/15/2014 3:34 AM, Janet B wrote:
> http://tinyurl.com/mcoh2dw
>
> The Idaho agribusiness continues to get blowback over the Innate line
> of spuds.
>
> By ZACH KYLE
>
> ovember 15, 2014
>
> The J.R. Simplot Co.'s freshly approved genetically modified potato is
> not being welcomed by one of the company's oldest business partners.
>
> McDonald's, the world's largest fast-food company and a longtime buyer
> of Simplot potatoes for french fries, says it doesn't plan to buy
> Simplot's latest genetically modified organism, the Innate potato.
>
> "McDonald's USA does not source GMO potatoes, nor do we have current
> plans to change our sourcing practices," the company said in a
> statement.
>
> The Innate line of potatoes received federal approval Nov. 7 to go to
> market. The potatoes have fewer sugars than conventional potatoes and
> less asparagine, which has the potential to become a carcinogen -
> acrylamide - when fried. The modified potato contains only potato
> genes, not genes from other organisms. Hence its name, "Innate."
>
> Simplot spokesman Doug Cole didn't address the company's plans to sell
> to the fast-food industry or the dehydrated potato industry, which
> both have urged growers against planting GMO potatoes. But Cole said
> the fresh potato market would embrace Innate.
>
> Consumers will be receptive to the reduced sugars and
> carcinogen-causing asparagine, Cole said. Because only 400 test acres
> of Innate varieties were planted and harvested this fall, production
> can't ramp up until after the 2015 harvest, he said.
>
> Rupert potato grower Duane Grant said he's been told by buyers in the
> dehydrated potato industry not to plant the GMO potatoes. He hopes to
> line up willing buyers so that he can plant the biotech potatoes and
> reap the higher yields that come with their reduced bruising, he said.
>
> This isn't the first time the fast-food industry has resisted GMO
> potatoes. More than a decade ago, Monsanto brought its bug-resistant
> "New Leaf" line of genetically modified potato to market. Buyers, led
> by the fast-food industry, rejected the Monsanto spud, and it was
> pulled from production due to lack of business.
>
> Grant said consumers will be more receptive to Innate because it
> benefits them, not just growers.
>
> The key for Simplot and for growers, Grant said, will be convincing
> the food industry, which is worried about consumer backlash, to trust
> the product.
>
> "Brand equity is extremely important to quick-serve restaurants,"
> Grant said. "They will avoid conflict whenever possible in order to
> protect equity of their brand name."
>
> Read more he

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/1...#storylink=cpy

There are parts of the world that have the luxury of being paranoid
about GMO food crops but 800,000,000 or so hungry souls do not. In the
end, GMO will be valuable technology because we're gonna need to come up
with a shitload of food now and in the future.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-11-15 17:03:38 +0000, Ed Pawlowski said:

> On 11/15/2014 8:34 AM, Janet B wrote:
>> http://tinyurl.com/mcoh2dw
>>
>> The Idaho agribusiness continues to get blowback over the Innate line
>> of spuds.
>>
>> By ZACH KYLE

>> McDonald's, the world's largest fast-food company and a longtime buyer
>> of Simplot potatoes for french fries, says it doesn't plan to buy
>> Simplot's latest genetically modified organism, the Innate potato.
>>
>> "McDonald's USA does not source GMO potatoes, nor do we have current
>> plans to change our sourcing practices," the company said in a
>> statement.

> Smart on their part. Be they good or bad, they are too controversial
> for a big chain to start selling them to the masses.
>
> That may change 10 or 20 years from now, but right now GM foods scare
> lot of people. Personally, I'm not so sure yet.

My guess is that they did their market research and decided not to sell
GMO potatoes not just on a hunch, but because they KNEW it would harm
sales.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 17, 2014 6:44:01 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

> As long as you don't expect me to eat GMO food just because many
> people won't have a choice in the future.
>
> --
> Bruce

Don't take it too personally, I don't expect you to eat anything. Although, if you didn't eat anything, it's a cinch that you'd be less picky about GMO.