Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I just don't get brisket

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 14:31:13 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

> On 10/13/2014 1:17 AM, sf wrote:

> >> If you have long strands, it was not cooked right.

> > I shred it into long strands. That's the way I want it, so AFAIC it
> > was cooked right.
> >

> ...but sliced wrong

Not smoked brisket, corned beef for hash.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 14:30:41 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

> My DH, may he rest in peace, never put sauce on the ribs or brisket I
> smoked. He said the rub was enough.

My husband is lukewarm on sauce too, but he does like a dab of my
version of South Carolina's Mustard BBQ sauce or Trader Joe's Carolina
sauce in a bottle (which is so close to mine that I replaced the
bottle after it was used up).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 11:53:17 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:

>"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>Usually chewy like that. If the brisket is tender you can slice it
>>>across the grain and it flls apart easily if you want it that way.
>>>
>>>Cold brisket can be sliced thin and makes a great sandwich with
>>>horseradish and mayo.

>> I'm happy to know that someone out there can do it right. I surely
>> can't.

>Are you opening your smoker to look at it too often? I have a smoker that
>is pretty tightly sealed and keeps moisture in pretty well. Love my
>briskets!

Nah, got a window in the door.. No Lookie Lous here.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 12:09:13 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 09:31:35 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

snip

>I saved both, but I'll give Sheldon's Sephardic recipe with ginger ale
>the first shot. Not crazy about a beef/beer combo (tried Belgian beer
>stew once and was unimpressed), but ginger ale and fresh ginger
>appeals.

I just don't care for fruit cooked with meat.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/13/2014 2:51 PM, sf wrote:

>> If you cook over direct heat, you will sometimes get a bit overdone on
>> the bottom from the radiant heat and you can get a little stringiness on
>> the very bottom and it will be dry. I prefer indirect heat.

> Is it indirect heat via an offset smoker or indirect via pushing coals
> off to the side of a Weber?

Either way can work, just be sre to get the coals away.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick > wrote:

> Tell me what I am missing.

You'll find some nice step-by-step instructions on how to barbecue a
brisket at <http://www.texascooking.com/features/apr99brisket.htm>. I
first posted the link some 14 years ago.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 17:13:32 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On 10/13/2014 2:51 PM, sf wrote:
>
> >> If you cook over direct heat, you will sometimes get a bit overdone on
> >> the bottom from the radiant heat and you can get a little stringiness on
> >> the very bottom and it will be dry. I prefer indirect heat.

> > Is it indirect heat via an offset smoker or indirect via pushing coals
> > off to the side of a Weber?
> >>

> Either way can work, just be sre to get the coals away.

Roger that!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 14:54:46 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 12:09:13 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 09:31:35 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> > wrote:

> snip
> >
> >I saved both, but I'll give Sheldon's Sephardic recipe with ginger ale
> >the first shot. Not crazy about a beef/beer combo (tried Belgian beer
> >stew once and was unimpressed), but ginger ale and fresh ginger
> >appeals.

> I just don't care for fruit cooked with meat.

It seems like they are there mainly for sweetness, can't they be left
out? There would be more than enough sugar in the ginger ale.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 12, 2014 5:05:52 PM UTC-5, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 15:13:01 -0600, Janet Bostwick
>
> > wrote:
>

> > I've had it prepared in Dallas. One of those catered things for a

> > convention of thousands. When I saw the meat I wondered what was

> > wrong with it and thought maybe the caterers messed up. I've smoked a

> > couple. Same result as the brisket in Dallas. To me it is a pot

> > roast and not a particularly good one. I've had it as corned beef.

> > The mouth feel is stringy, dryish. You'd think with all that fat on

> > the meat would make it more unctuous I think if you mixed brisket

> > with another piece of beef, it would grind into good burger meat. Now

> > I see that the burger chains are all touting that they've got a

> > special burger with brisket. Tell me what I am missing.

> > Janet US

> I don't get it either although I do like it as corned beef....
>
> particularly as hash. I shred it first and then cut the long strands
>
> because if my corned beef hash isn't made with shredded meat, it might
>
> as well come from a can.

That's an absurd statement. Even if one were to put the corned beef through
a hamburger grinder, hash made from fresh potatoes and non-canned meat
would be far superior to Armour or Libby's or whatever. When I used to make
corned beef hash (it's been years), I used the water from cooking the corned
beef to boil the cubed potatoes, then I fried the potatoes until they just started to get crispy, then added the chopped up corned beef.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 16:38:15 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> Properly smoked brisket isn't
> anything like pot roast.

> I will give you $5,000 when Burger King announces a Long Whopper. In
> the meantime, I've got a long whopper for you - just bend over and
> I'll give it to you.

> You said "oval-shaped beef patty", not burger, you fat **** asshole.
> You even quoted it for all of us to see. Dumbass.
>
> You lose again.
>
> -sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 12, 2014 10:31:27 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Sunday, October 12, 2014 8:19:47 PM UTC-7, tert in seattle wrote:
>
> > Janet Bostwick wrote:

> > > On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 01:08:39 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle

> > > Is it the meat or the sauce that is flavorful?

> > > Janet US

> > good question - to me beef needs a lot of help no matter what - for

> > example if you're not making bbq with it then it absolutely needs onion

> > in some form as a complement

> > there are those rare occasions like a properly aged steak that needs

> > nothing else but its own juices

> Needs to be charred, IMHO. And sauteed mushrooms on top doesn't hurt.

I agree about the charring of the steak, but not that steak is only
delicious when "properly aged." I like the taste of minimally aged strip
or porterhouse/t-bone.

> > in the case of Ribs 'n' Bibs, by my reckoning they just know how to do

> > brisket right

> > the honest answer in this case is, mostly the sauce

> I just remembered something significant: Hickory is the only smoke for beef.

Hickory or pecan.

> I have had oak smoked barbeque, and the end product is a hearty meh.

I find oak a bit distasteful too, and maple is far worse. Peach, cherry
or apple are far better than oak.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 23:54:40 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> Most BBQ brisket masters use oak or pecan
> (a milder hickory).

> I will give you $5,000 when Burger King announces a Long Whopper. In
> the meantime, I've got a long whopper for you - just bend over and
> I'll give it to you.

> You said "oval-shaped beef patty", not burger, you fat **** asshole.
> You even quoted it for all of us to see. Dumbass.
>
> You lose again.
>
> -sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 14:16:48 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> the 200F myth has been
> debunked, but is still highly touted.

> I will give you $5,000 when Burger King announces a Long Whopper. In
> the meantime, I've got a long whopper for you - just bend over and
> I'll give it to you.

> You said "oval-shaped beef patty", not burger, you fat **** asshole.
> You even quoted it for all of us to see. Dumbass.
>
> You lose again.
>
> -sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 15:53:43 -0700 (PDT), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

> On Sunday, October 12, 2014 5:05:52 PM UTC-5, sf wrote:
> >

> > I don't get it either although I do like it as corned beef....
> >
> > particularly as hash. I shred it first and then cut the long strands
> >
> > because if my corned beef hash isn't made with shredded meat, it might
> >
> > as well come from a can.
> >

> That's an absurd statement.

I know what I like and who are you to try to tell me otherwise?

> Even if one were to put the corned beef through
> a hamburger grinder, hash made from fresh potatoes and non-canned meat
> would be far superior to Armour or Libby's or whatever. When I used to make
> corned beef hash (it's been years), I used the water from cooking the corned
> beef to boil the cubed potatoes, then I fried the potatoes until they just started to get crispy, then added the chopped up corned beef.

I wasn't discussing ingredient "quality", I stated how I prefer and
prepare it. What can't you understand about that? I'm not asking you
to cook it for me. It's my food, my labor, my way. I don't want to
eat corned beef hash unless it's in strands, so I also clarify exactly
what form the corned beef is in when they call it "home style" on a
restaurant menu. If it's house made, but cubed - I don't order it.
The food isn't free and there are plenty of other choices. My money,
my rules.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/13/2014 2:53 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 14:33:06 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>
>> Eastern European pot roast

> Would you please either name the recipe so I can google some versions
> or post yours here? TIA

These recipes are very individual. I put the brisket on foil in a large
roaster pan, cover it with sliced onion (about 2 for a big brisket), add
some carrots and celery, a few bay leaves, garlic, black pepper,
marjoram and thyme. The liquid is water with some ketchup and a
spoonful of cider vinegar and a lot of dry, red wine.

cover with foil and put in a slow oven at 250 for as many hours as
needed to cook it until tender. A big piece will take about 6 or 7
hours. When done, I wrap the meat in foil and refrigerate it over night
so it slices easily. I degrease the cooking liquid, remove bay leaves,
put it in a large pot and hit it with the stick blender to make gravy.
Adjust seasonings as needed.

Next day, heat gravy (I do this in the crock pot) and add sliced meat.
When the dinner guests come everything is perfect.

I don't measure. I've been making it so long, that I don't have to.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/13/2014 2:54 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 14:31:13 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:

>>> I shred it into long strands. That's the way I want it, so AFAIC it
>>> was cooked right.
>>>

>> ...but sliced wrong

> Not smoked brisket, corned beef for hash.

I chill corned beef brisket overnight as well. Slices so much better
when cold.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 20:35:43 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

>On 10/13/2014 2:54 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 14:31:13 -0500, Janet Wilder >
>> wrote:

>>> ...but sliced wrong

>> Not smoked brisket, corned beef for hash.
>>

>I chill corned beef brisket overnight as well. Slices so much better
>when cold.

Cooking corned beef brisket is very different from cooking fresh
brisket.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 20:35:12 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

> On 10/13/2014 2:53 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 14:33:06 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Eastern European pot roast

> > Would you please either name the recipe so I can google some versions
> > or post yours here? TIA
> >

> These recipes are very individual. I put the brisket on foil in a large
> roaster pan, cover it with sliced onion (about 2 for a big brisket), add
> some carrots and celery, a few bay leaves, garlic, black pepper,
> marjoram and thyme. The liquid is water with some ketchup and a
> spoonful of cider vinegar and a lot of dry, red wine.
>
> cover with foil and put in a slow oven at 250 for as many hours as
> needed to cook it until tender. A big piece will take about 6 or 7
> hours. When done, I wrap the meat in foil and refrigerate it over night
> so it slices easily. I degrease the cooking liquid, remove bay leaves,
> put it in a large pot and hit it with the stick blender to make gravy.
> Adjust seasonings as needed.
>
> Next day, heat gravy (I do this in the crock pot) and add sliced meat.
> When the dinner guests come everything is perfect.
>
> I don't measure. I've been making it so long, that I don't have to.

I wasn't brought up by a mom who cooked tough meat and I have been
slowly teaching myself. So thanks! I think I can do that. I've been
doing pork shoulder low and slow like that, so I'll branch off to beef
now. I'm still not at the "cooking ahead" stage. Maybe it will
happen now that you've made it part of the recipe. LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> I chill corned beef brisket overnight as well. Slices so much better
> when cold.

Oh, my goodness! I just cook it and dive in. Son skips the dinner
stage and goes straight to breakfast. We're eating corned beef &
cabbage and he's in the kitchen making hash. )

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 20:36:50 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

> When I wrap I put a few old towels around the foil and put the whole
> thing in a styrofoam cooler.

That's a good idea.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/13/2014 9:00 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 20:35:43 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>
>> On 10/13/2014 2:54 PM, sf wrote:

>>> Not smoked brisket, corned beef for hash.
>>>

>> I chill corned beef brisket overnight as well. Slices so much better
>> when cold.

> Cooking corned beef brisket is very different from cooking fresh
> brisket.

Where did I say it was the same?

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2014 5:13 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> I've had it prepared in Dallas. One of those catered things for a
> convention of thousands. When I saw the meat I wondered what was
> wrong with it and thought maybe the caterers messed up. I've smoked a
> couple. Same result as the brisket in Dallas. To me it is a pot
> roast and not a particularly good one. I've had it as corned beef.
> The mouth feel is stringy, dryish. You'd think with all that fat on
> the meat would make it more unctuous I think if you mixed brisket
> with another piece of beef, it would grind into good burger meat. Now
> I see that the burger chains are all touting that they've got a
> special burger with brisket. Tell me what I am missing.
> Janet US

brisket is my favorite to grind into burgers. Expensive sometimes, so
I'll mix it with chuck. Other than corned beef, which I buy already
cured, I've never cooked a plain brisket.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 19:13:05 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

> It makes awesome enchiladas Suissa.

That's a new one. The only Suiza I knew about up to now was a
quesadilla.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 19:16:15 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

> I soak corned beef in cold water, changed several times, overnight. I
> make a rub from crushed black pepper corns and crushed coriander seeds.
> Then I smoke it and later wrap it. When it's done, I briefly steam it
> in a pressure cooker. Makes the best damn pastrami! I've had many
> complements from pastrami mavens.

I am definitely going to try smoking a corned beef to make pastrami.
I'm not a pastrami fan, but hubby is - so he'll be in hog heaven (if
it's kosher to say something like that).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/15/2014 1:30 AM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 19:13:05 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>
>> It makes awesome enchiladas Suissa.

> That's a new one. The only Suiza I knew about up to now was a
> quesadilla.

One of my favorite local restaurants does Mexican and Q and they stuff
enchiladas with leftover brisket cut into bits, top with green sauce and
Swiss cheese. I've been making them at home with smoked brisket. Yummy!

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 23:30:24 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 19:13:05 -0500, Janet Wilder >
>wrote:
>
>> It makes awesome enchiladas Suissa.

>That's a new one. The only Suiza I knew about up to now was a
>quesadilla.

What is a quesadilla Suiza? I know chicken enchilada suiza.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 08:17:28 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

> On 10/15/2014 1:30 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 19:13:05 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> It makes awesome enchiladas Suissa.

> > That's a new one. The only Suiza I knew about up to now was a
> > quesadilla.
> >

> One of my favorite local restaurants does Mexican and Q and they stuff
> enchiladas with leftover brisket cut into bits, top with green sauce and
> Swiss cheese. I've been making them at home with smoked brisket. Yummy!

You've got my stomach thinking about food now. It just growled.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 07:29:50 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 23:30:24 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 19:13:05 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> >wrote:
> >
> >> It makes awesome enchiladas Suissa.

> >That's a new one. The only Suiza I knew about up to now was a
> >quesadilla.

> What is a quesadilla Suiza? I know chicken enchilada suiza.

Probably what an enchilada Suiza is only it's not rolled, it's folded
over and there's no sauce on the outside. It's a meat and cheese
quesadilla. Heavy on the cheese. I've only watched them make it for
other people, but I mainly see pork and beef used. No reason why you
couldn't ask for chicken (if it's on the menu) - but the people who
order Suizas aren't wealthy Yuppies on a heart healthy diet (that
group goes to Chipotle and orders burrito bowls minus the tortilla),
they're just ordinary work-a-day people who like tasty food.

Speaking of chicken and burrito bowls, I've had my eye on this recipe
for a while, but haven't made it yet.
http://www.closetcooking.com/2014/04...bowl-with.html

More brisket! W. Lohman Barbecue 3 06-05-2015 01:13 AM
Brisket .... how to? Skyhooks General Cooking 52 28-06-2007 02:50 AM
Odd brisket swibirun Barbecue 7 03-03-2007 08:20 PM
Brisket cut? Nancy Young General Cooking 5 14-09-2006 05:41 PM
Brisket versus brisket Edwin Pawlowski Barbecue 6 06-08-2005 12:50 AM