Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What's with all these food trucks?

I am watching The Food Network and there is yet another food truck
competition. Are food trucks popular in your area? AFAIK the only ones I
have seen around here are some taco trucks and they're somewhat few and far
between.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> I am watching The Food Network and there is yet another food truck
> competition. Are food trucks popular in your area? AFAIK the only ones I
> have seen around here are some taco trucks and they're somewhat few and far
> between.

imagine the food network having more than one show about one of the most
popular new trends in eating...next thing you know they will have more
than one show on how to cook food for people who won't cook
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 20:03:57 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> I am watching The Food Network and there is yet another food truck
> competition. Are food trucks popular in your area? AFAIK the only ones I
> have seen around here are some taco trucks and they're somewhat few and far
> between.

You aren't in the right area. They are very popular, but you need to
be downtown.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, October 2, 2014 5:03:57 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> I am watching The Food Network and there is yet another food truck
>
> competition. Are food trucks popular in your area? AFAIK the only ones I
>
> have seen around here are some taco trucks and they're somewhat few and far
>
> between.

My assumption is that the idea originated in Hawaii. My uncle had a lunch wagon back in the 60s. In the 70s, my wife and I would frequently have lunch at the University from the lunch wagon. A big plate lunch would be under 2 bucks. We'd sit under the shade of a tree and share a plate. In the 80s, I'd eat at a wagon next to where I used to work. They had a fantastic roast pork and I'd grill the cook about his method. I never did learn to cook pork like he did.

Later on, in the 90s, we moved our office so I never got to eat at a lunch wagon much after that. The funny thing is that the plate lunch place next door to the new office was owned by the same people that my wife and I used to eat when we were going to school. It even had the same name. We ate many times there - this time, our kids were eating with us. What a good old time!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 20:03:57 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> I am watching The Food Network and there is yet another food truck
>> competition. Are food trucks popular in your area? AFAIK the only ones
>> have seen around here are some taco trucks and they're somewhat few and
>> far
>> between.

> You aren't in the right area. They are very popular, but you need to
> be downtown.

Ohhh... Okay. I don't do downtown.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
On Thursday, October 2, 2014 5:03:57 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> I am watching The Food Network and there is yet another food truck
>
> competition. Are food trucks popular in your area? AFAIK the only ones I
>
> have seen around here are some taco trucks and they're somewhat few and
> far
>
> between.

My assumption is that the idea originated in Hawaii. My uncle had a lunch
wagon back in the 60s. In the 70s, my wife and I would frequently have lunch
at the University from the lunch wagon. A big plate lunch would be under 2
bucks. We'd sit under the shade of a tree and share a plate. In the 80s, I'd
eat at a wagon next to where I used to work. They had a fantastic roast pork
and I'd grill the cook about his method. I never did learn to cook pork like
he did.

Later on, in the 90s, we moved our office so I never got to eat at a lunch
wagon much after that. The funny thing is that the plate lunch place next
door to the new office was owned by the same people that my wife and I used
to eat when we were going to school. It even had the same name. We ate many
times there - this time, our kids were eating with us. What a good old time!

---

I remember one coming around when I worked at K Mart but it didn't come
where I could use it. There was a place behind the store called Cases. I
think they made cases for musical instruments. The truck would come around
lunchtime. Later the building became some kind of restaurant supply and the
truck no longer came around.

I also remember seeing one in NY.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, October 2, 2014 11:52:12 PM UTC-7, dsi1 wrote:

> My assumption is that the idea originated in Hawaii. My uncle had a lunch wagon back in the 60s. In the 70s, my wife and I would frequently have lunch at the University from the lunch wagon. A big plate lunch would be under 2 bucks. We'd sit under the shade of a tree and share a plate. In the 80s, I'd eat at a wagon next to where I used to work. They had a fantastic roast pork and I'd grill the cook about his method. I never did learn to cook pork like he did.

In the 70s here, all it was was "roach coaches." I worked at a place that
had one that actually played "La Cucuracha" to announce its arrival.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
On Thursday, October 2, 2014 11:52:12 PM UTC-7, dsi1 wrote:

> My assumption is that the idea originated in Hawaii. My uncle had a lunch
> wagon back in the 60s. In the 70s, my wife and I would frequently have
> lunch at the University from the lunch wagon. A big plate lunch would be
> under 2 bucks. We'd sit under the shade of a tree and share a plate. In
> the 80s, I'd eat at a wagon next to where I used to work. They had a
> fantastic roast pork and I'd grill the cook about his method. I never did
> learn to cook pork like he did.

In the 70s here, all it was was "roach coaches." I worked at a place that
had one that actually played "La Cucuracha" to announce its arrival.

---

Oh wow.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, October 2, 2014 9:29:55 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "dsi1" <> wrote in message

> On Thursday, October 2, 2014 5:03:57 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>
> > I am watching The Food Network and there is yet another food truck

> > competition. Are food trucks popular in your area? AFAIK the only ones I

> > have seen around here are some taco trucks and they're somewhat few and

> > far

> > between.

> My assumption is that the idea originated in Hawaii. My uncle had a lunch
>
> wagon back in the 60s. In the 70s, my wife and I would frequently have lunch
>
> at the University from the lunch wagon. A big plate lunch would be under 2
>
> bucks. We'd sit under the shade of a tree and share a plate. In the 80s, I'd
>
> eat at a wagon next to where I used to work. They had a fantastic roast pork
>
> and I'd grill the cook about his method. I never did learn to cook pork like
>
> he did.
>

> Later on, in the 90s, we moved our office so I never got to eat at a lunch
>
> wagon much after that. The funny thing is that the plate lunch place next
>
> door to the new office was owned by the same people that my wife and I used
>
> to eat when we were going to school. It even had the same name. We ate many
>
> times there - this time, our kids were eating with us. What a good old time!
>

> ---
>

> I remember one coming around when I worked at K Mart but it didn't come
>
> where I could use it. There was a place behind the store called Cases. I
>
> think they made cases for musical instruments. The truck would come around
>
> lunchtime. Later the building became some kind of restaurant supply and the
>
> truck no longer came around.
>

> I also remember seeing one in NY.

There was one that came around our workplace in Everett, WA. You could get some coffee and a sandwich or doughnut or candy or snacks. No lunch though. I think I just brown bagged a peanut butter sandwich.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, October 2, 2014 9:35:05 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Thursday, October 2, 2014 11:52:12 PM UTC-7, dsi1 wrote:
>

> > My assumption is that the idea originated in Hawaii. My uncle had a lunch wagon back in the 60s. In the 70s, my wife and I would frequently have lunch at the University from the lunch wagon. A big plate lunch would be under 2 bucks. We'd sit under the shade of a tree and share a plate. In the 80s, I'd eat at a wagon next to where I used to work. They had a fantastic roast pork and I'd grill the cook about his method. I never did learn to cook pork like he did.

> In the 70s here, all it was was "roach coaches." I worked at a place that
>
> had one that actually played "La Cucuracha" to announce its arrival.

That's pretty funny. My wife used to call them roach coaches too although I never did. That must have been a mainland thing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message

> There was one that came around our workplace in Everett, WA. You could get
> some coffee and a sandwich or doughnut or candy or snacks. No lunch
> though. I think I just brown bagged a peanut butter sandwich.

That seems kinda weird.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
On Thursday, October 2, 2014 9:35:05 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Thursday, October 2, 2014 11:52:12 PM UTC-7, dsi1 wrote:
>

> > My assumption is that the idea originated in Hawaii. My uncle had a
> > lunch wagon back in the 60s. In the 70s, my wife and I would frequently
> > have lunch at the University from the lunch wagon. A big plate lunch
> > would be under 2 bucks. We'd sit under the shade of a tree and share a
> > plate. In the 80s, I'd eat at a wagon next to where I used to work. They
> > had a fantastic roast pork and I'd grill the cook about his method. I
> > never did learn to cook pork like he did.

> In the 70s here, all it was was "roach coaches." I worked at a place that
>
> had one that actually played "La Cucuracha" to announce its arrival.

That's pretty funny. My wife used to call them roach coaches too although I
never did. That must have been a mainland thing.

---

My parents refused to eat food from them because there is no bathroom.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, October 3, 2014 1:15:09 AM UTC-5, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 20:03:57 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>
> > wrote:
>

> > I am watching The Food Network and there is yet another food truck

> > competition. Are food trucks popular in your area? AFAIK the only ones I

> > have seen around here are some taco trucks and they're somewhat few and far

> > between.

> You aren't in the right area. They are very popular, but you need to
>
> be downtown.

Check out this one--
http://showmefoodtrucks.com/holy-crepe-food-truck/

--Bryan
--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, October 2, 2014 5:03:57 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I am watching The Food Network and there is yet another food truck
>>
>> competition. Are food trucks popular in your area? AFAIK the only ones
>>
>> have seen around here are some taco trucks and they're somewhat few and
>> far
>>
>> between.

> My assumption is that the idea originated in Hawaii. My uncle had a lunch
> wagon back in the 60s. In the 70s, my wife and I would frequently have
> lunch at the University from the lunch wagon. A big plate lunch would be
> under 2 bucks. We'd sit under the shade of a tree and share a plate. In
> the 80s, I'd eat at a wagon next to where I used to work. They had a
> fantastic roast pork and I'd grill the cook about his method. I never did
> learn to cook pork like he did.

Well there is your problem! You should have been grilling the pork, not the
cook ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Red flag !!! was: What's with all these food trucks?

On 10/3/2014 4:17 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>>
>> In the 70s here, all it was was "roach coaches." I worked at a place that
>> had one that actually played "La Cucuracha" to announce its arrival.

> That's pretty funny. My wife used to call them roach coaches too
> although I never did. That must have been a mainland thing.
>
> ---
>
> My parents refused to eat food from them because there is no bathroom.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Perhaps the above excuse/scenario (true or false???) by the bovine
explains a lot with regard to its all-too-many ridiculous claims of
peculiar and out-of-this-world excuses!!??!!

Sky

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 3 Oct 2014 02:22:17 -0700 (PDT), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

> Check out this one--
> http://showmefoodtrucks.com/holy-crepe-food-truck/

Yum, those are my kind of crepes! We have something similar, but they
call it a food stand, not a food truck - because it's in a permanent
location. I know exactly where it's located, but it isn't open when
I'm in the area (open 6PM-4AM) so I haven't tried it. According to
Yelp, it changed ownership recently and it seems that some Yelpers are
not happy with the new management.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/crepes-a-go-...nch+food+truck

We have food truck that sells porchetta
http://www.yelp.com/biz/roli-roti-go...tta+food+truck
I see we have a food truck that's open 24/7!
http://www.yelp.com/biz/oui-chef-san...nch+food+truck
There are even places where food trucks gather every Friday and Sunday
and a way to track what truck is where (they have a phone app too).
http://offthegridsf.com/markets

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/3/2014 1:52 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> My assumption is that the idea originated in Hawaii. My uncle had a lunch wagon back in the 60s. In the 70s, my wife and I would frequently have lunch at the University from the lunch wagon. A big plate lunch would be under 2 bucks. We'd sit under the shade of a tree and share a plate. In the 80s, I'd eat at a wagon next to where I used to work. They had a fantastic roast pork and I'd grill the cook about his method. I never did learn to cook pork like he did.

I can remember food trucks on Long Island back in the 50's... mostly hot
dog/hamburger places. LI was booming with construction back then and
these trucks would set up near where developments were being built and
along the few major highways.

I think they were a logical evolution of the old hot dog carts in
NYC.... food carts there were very popular when I was a kid.

I think this picture is probably from the 20's or 30's
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...et.4a13502.jpg

This picture is from 1955 in NY. When I was a kid, I used to sell these
pretzels with my Uncle on the street corner by Knickerbocker Park in
Brooklyn, NY. I seem to remember them being 5 cents each... and we paid
3 cents each for them.
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...5053807409652#

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/3/14, 8:32 AM, George Leppla wrote:

> I think they were a logical evolution of the old hot dog carts in
> NYC.... food carts there were very popular when I was a kid.

Bingo! While many credit frontier wagon train "chuckwagons" as the
precursor, Wikipedia also states:

"By the 1890s, night lunch wagons, which catered to night-time workers,
were a common sight in big cities like New York City."

(Although I did get a kick out of the suggestion that any such thing
originated in Hawaii!)

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/3/2014 8:32 AM, George Leppla wrote:
> On 10/3/2014 1:52 AM, dsi1 wrote:
>> My assumption is that the idea originated in Hawaii.

Sorry to burst your bubble, dsi1, but food trucks certainly did not
originate in Hawaii. They may be prolific but they didn't get their
start there.

> I can remember food trucks on Long Island back in the 50's... mostly hot
> dog/hamburger places. LI was booming with construction back then and
> these trucks would set up near where developments were being built and
> along the few major highways.
>
> I think they were a logical evolution of the old hot dog carts in
> NYC.... food carts there were very popular when I was a kid.
>
> I think this picture is probably from the 20's or 30's
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...et.4a13502.jpg

(snippage)

> George L

Oh, I love that old photo! Yep, that was definitely 1920's if not
earlier. I can tell by the way they were dressed. The woman walking
off on the left was wearing a dress or coat down to her ankles. Mustn't
show those legs yet! Of course all the men wore hats, coats and ties,
even into the next decades. LOL

Notice the umbrellas advertised local merchants? And those were push
carts. The horse (just visible in the right side of the picture) would
have been a dray horse. Ah, a bygone era captured in a photograph. I
love it!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 23:52:12 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

> Later on, in the 90s, we moved our office so I never got to eat at a lunch wagon much after that. The funny thing is that the plate lunch place next door to the new office was owned by the same people that my wife and I used to eat when we were going to school. It even had the same name. We ate many times there - this time, our kids were eating with us. What a good old time!

So, you're saying they had a brick and mortar restaurant plus a food
truck? It's a real crowd pleaser when restaurants do that! We had a
little French restaurant that did it. The restaurant had a bad fire,
closed and reopened in another space (which I just searched for and
can't find anything current, so maybe it was all talk and no do). Not
sure what happened to their food truck, but it appears not to be in
business anymore either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.thecoast.ca/halifax/halif...nt?oid=4381454

> I heard it was great fun and very tasty.

I think that's the basic concept for Off The Grid's Picnic in the
Presidio too. OTG is extremely popular. Friday at Ft. Mason seems to
be date night and Sunday in the Presidio is family day... or at least
that's my perception of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message ...

They are very popular here - in fact there was a food truck party

http://www.thecoast.ca/halifax/halif...nt?oid=4381454

I heard it was great fun and very tasty.

You're in Halifax? Have you ever eaten at The Five Fisherman?
We spent a night in Halifax 25 years ago on a trip around Cape Breton and
NS.
One of the best meals we ever had, we still talk about it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/2/2014 10:03 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I am watching The Food Network and there is yet another food truck
> competition. Are food trucks popular in your area? AFAIK the only ones
> I have seen around here are some taco trucks and they're somewhat few
> and far between.

I finished college at night after working full time during the day. My
"dinner" on those nights I was in school was from a food truck owned by
a Lebanese gentleman. He made awesome falafel and that was my dinner
two nights a week for three years.

We, affectionately, referred to them as "grease trucks"

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/2/2014 11:03 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I am watching The Food Network and there is yet another food truck
> competition. Are food trucks popular in your area? AFAIK the only ones
> I have seen around here are some taco trucks and they're somewhat few
> and far between.

They are very popular around here. They come around once a month, at
least a dozen of them, maybe more. They setup in the parking lot of a
local college, and draw a pretty good crowd.

The food is usually pretty good, but not cheap. It's an opportunity to
sample a lot of different ethnic foods without having to expend much
effort. Some of the trucks are amazingly elaborate, amounting to full
restaurant kitchens on wheels. Others are much more like taco trucks or
ice cream trucks.

Some of the trucks are operated by restaurants, but a good number of
them seem to be just trucks, with no restaurant affiliation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/10/2014 12:52 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, October 2, 2014 5:03:57 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I am watching The Food Network and there is yet another food truck
>>
>> competition. Are food trucks popular in your area? AFAIK the only ones I
>>
>> have seen around here are some taco trucks and they're somewhat few and far
>>
>> between.

> My assumption is that the idea originated in Hawaii. My uncle had a lunch wagon back in the 60s. In the 70s, my wife and I would frequently have lunch at the University from the lunch wagon. A big plate lunch would be under 2 bucks. We'd sit under the shade of a tree and share a plate. In the 80s, I'd eat at a wagon next to where I used to work. They had a fantastic roast pork and I'd grill the cook about his method. I never did learn to cook pork like he did.
>
> Later on, in the 90s, we moved our office so I never got to eat at a lunch wagon much after that. The funny thing is that the plate lunch place next door to the new office was owned by the same people that my wife and I used to eat when we were going to school. It even had the same name. We ate many times there - this time, our kids were eating with us. What a good old time!

There were mobile fish and chip vans in the UK, certainly in the 50s and
probably long before.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...

I am watching The Food Network and there is yet another food truck
competition. Are food trucks popular in your area? AFAIK the only ones I
have seen around here are some taco trucks and they're somewhat few and far
between.

~~~~~~~~
Food trucks are very popular in many areas, even in some towns. In fact,
there is one that goes to the college campus where I taught.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 10:19:23 -0400, Travis McGee >
wrote:

> Some of the trucks are operated by restaurants, but a good number of
> them seem to be just trucks, with no restaurant affiliation.

I bet a lot of those food truck operators have dreams of opening a
brick and mortar restaurant someday.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

On 10/3/2014 8:32 AM, George Leppla wrote:
> On 10/3/2014 1:52 AM, dsi1 wrote:
>> My assumption is that the idea originated in Hawaii.

Sorry to burst your bubble, dsi1, but food trucks certainly did not
originate in Hawaii. They may be prolific but they didn't get their
start there.

> I can remember food trucks on Long Island back in the 50's... mostly hot
> dog/hamburger places. LI was booming with construction back then and
> these trucks would set up near where developments were being built and
> along the few major highways.
>
> I think they were a logical evolution of the old hot dog carts in
> NYC.... food carts there were very popular when I was a kid.
>
> I think this picture is probably from the 20's or 30's
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...et.4a13502.jpg

(snippage)

> George L

Oh, I love that old photo! Yep, that was definitely 1920's if not
earlier. I can tell by the way they were dressed. The woman walking
off on the left was wearing a dress or coat down to her ankles. Mustn't
show those legs yet! Of course all the men wore hats, coats and ties,
even into the next decades. LOL

Notice the umbrellas advertised local merchants? And those were push
carts. The horse (just visible in the right side of the picture) would
have been a dray horse. Ah, a bygone era captured in a photograph. I
love it!

Jill

~~~~~~~~
When I was a small child, we used to get milk and butter from a delivery man
who used a horse-drawn wagon. The horse knew the way so well that it would
automatically head for the next stop and stop without any direction from the
driver unless he had a new customer. Another indication of "bygone days" is
that my parents never locked their doors. If my mother was not home, the
delivery man would simply open our back door, go into the kitchen, and put
our delivery in the refrigerator. Mother would leave a note if she wanted a
different amount than our "regular" delivery. There was another horse-drawn
wagon used in the summer that would deliver flats of strawberries and
wonderful cream-filled eclairs.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/3/2014 9:14 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 10/2/2014 10:03 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I am watching The Food Network and there is yet another food truck
>> competition. Are food trucks popular in your area? AFAIK the only ones
>> I have seen around here are some taco trucks and they're somewhat few
>> and far between.

> I finished college at night after working full time during the day. My
> "dinner" on those nights I was in school was from a food truck owned by
> a Lebanese gentleman. He made awesome falafel and that was my dinner
> two nights a week for three years.
>

> We, affectionately, referred to them as "grease trucks"

Or "Roach Coaches"

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-03 10:29 AM, graham wrote:

> There were mobile fish and chip vans in the UK, certainly in the 50s and
> probably long before.

For a long time the only food trucks around here were the French Fry
trucks. There are more and more stationary food trucks these days,
either showing up at the same place each day or basically on blocks in
the same locations. It is my understanding that public health and other
safety codes have been the main issue.

I have to wonder about the plumbing requirements for one thing. There
are special things you need in a restaurant plumbing system, like lots
of hot water and a grease trap. Hard to do in a mobile kitchen.

My limited experience with food trucks is that the food is highly over
rated and usually over priced.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MaryL" wrote in message ...

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

On 10/3/2014 8:32 AM, George Leppla wrote:
> On 10/3/2014 1:52 AM, dsi1 wrote:
>> My assumption is that the idea originated in Hawaii.

Sorry to burst your bubble, dsi1, but food trucks certainly did not
originate in Hawaii. They may be prolific but they didn't get their
start there.

> I can remember food trucks on Long Island back in the 50's... mostly hot
> dog/hamburger places. LI was booming with construction back then and
> these trucks would set up near where developments were being built and
> along the few major highways.
>
> I think they were a logical evolution of the old hot dog carts in
> NYC.... food carts there were very popular when I was a kid.
>
> I think this picture is probably from the 20's or 30's
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...et.4a13502.jpg

(snippage)

> George L

Oh, I love that old photo! Yep, that was definitely 1920's if not
earlier. I can tell by the way they were dressed. The woman walking
off on the left was wearing a dress or coat down to her ankles. Mustn't
show those legs yet! Of course all the men wore hats, coats and ties,
even into the next decades. LOL

Notice the umbrellas advertised local merchants? And those were push
carts. The horse (just visible in the right side of the picture) would
have been a dray horse. Ah, a bygone era captured in a photograph. I
love it!

Jill

~~~~~~~~
When I was a small child, we used to get milk and butter from a delivery man
who used a horse-drawn wagon. The horse knew the way so well that it would
automatically head for the next stop and stop without any direction from the
driver unless he had a new customer. Another indication of "bygone days" is
that my parents never locked their doors. If my mother was not home, the
delivery man would simply open our back door, go into the kitchen, and put
our delivery in the refrigerator. Mother would leave a note if she wanted a
different amount than our "regular" delivery. There was another horse-drawn
wagon used in the summer that would deliver flats of strawberries and
wonderful cream-filled eclairs.

MaryL

~~~~~~~~~~
Here's another memory from my childhood: We used to walk down the brick
streets in the days leading up to Christmas, and there would be a number of
small carts on the sidewalks--some sold popcorn and candied apples; others
sold fantastic candy (fudge was my favorite). My parents always ran into
friends, and we would stand around on the sidewalks talking unless it was
too cold. This was northeastern Ohio, and we were sometimes walking with
our heads down to protect our eyes from blowing snow. The same carts were
also used in other seasons, but they would only be available on certain
days.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/10/2014 9:14 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-10-03 10:29 AM, graham wrote:
>

>> There were mobile fish and chip vans in the UK, certainly in the 50s and
>> probably long before.
>>

> For a long time the only food trucks around here were the French Fry
> trucks. There are more and more stationary food trucks these days,
> either showing up at the same place each day or basically on blocks in
> the same locations. It is my understanding that public health and other
> safety codes have been the main issue.
>

> I have to wonder about the plumbing requirements for one thing. There
> are special things you need in a restaurant plumbing system, like lots
> of hot water and a grease trap. Hard to do in a mobile kitchen.
>
> My limited experience with food trucks is that the food is highly over
> rated and usually over priced.

A couple of years ago, Calgary handed out licences for "gourmet" food
trucks, allowing them to park all over the place. I have yet to try one.
Their creations appear to be too calorific for my taste, certainly at
lunchtime.
The fish&chip vans in the UK serviced villages that did not have a F&C
shop. One still services the village where my sister lives.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/3/2014 10:16 AM, MaryL wrote:
> ~~~~~~~~~~
> Here's another memory from my childhood: We used to walk down the brick
> streets in the days leading up to Christmas, and there would be a number of
> small carts on the sidewalks--some sold popcorn and candied apples; others
> sold fantastic candy (fudge was my favorite). My parents always ran into
> friends, and we would stand around on the sidewalks talking unless it was
> too cold. This was northeastern Ohio, and we were sometimes walking with
> our heads down to protect our eyes from blowing snow. The same carts were
> also used in other seasons, but they would only be available on certain
> days.
>
> MaryL

In NYC, in the winter there were vendor carts selling hot roasted
chestnuts. I haven't seen that in many, many years.

George
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 3 Oct 2014 10:16:04 -0500, "MaryL"
> wrote:

snip
>When I was a small child, we used to get milk and butter from a delivery man
>who used a horse-drawn wagon. The horse knew the way so well that it would
>automatically head for the next stop and stop without any direction from the
>driver unless he had a new customer. Another indication of "bygone days" is
>that my parents never locked their doors. If my mother was not home, the
>delivery man would simply open our back door, go into the kitchen, and put
>our delivery in the refrigerator. Mother would leave a note if she wanted a
>different amount than our "regular" delivery. There was another horse-drawn
>wagon used in the summer that would deliver flats of strawberries and
>wonderful cream-filled eclairs.
>
>MaryL
>
>~~~~~~~~~~
>Here's another memory from my childhood: We used to walk down the brick
>streets in the days leading up to Christmas, and there would be a number of
>small carts on the sidewalks--some sold popcorn and candied apples; others
>sold fantastic candy (fudge was my favorite). My parents always ran into
>friends, and we would stand around on the sidewalks talking unless it was
>too cold. This was northeastern Ohio, and we were sometimes walking with
>our heads down to protect our eyes from blowing snow. The same carts were
>also used in other seasons, but they would only be available on certain
>days.
>
>MaryL

thanks for the memories. Your recollections sound just like mine in
Wisconsin. I remember getting to street corners and trying to get
over the slush heaps without getting water in your boots.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> On 03/10/2014 12:52 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Thursday, October 2, 2014 5:03:57 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> >> I am watching The Food Network and there is yet another food truck
> >>
> >> competition. Are food trucks popular in your area? AFAIK the only ones I
> >>
> >> have seen around here are some taco trucks and they're somewhat few and far
> >>
> >> between.

> > My assumption is that the idea originated in Hawaii. My uncle had a lunch wagon back in the 60s. In the 70s, my wife and I would frequently have lunch at the University from the lunch wagon. A big plate lunch would be under 2 bucks. We'd sit under the shade of a tree and share a plate. In the 80s, I'd eat at a wagon next to where I used to work. They had a fantastic roast pork and I'd grill the cook about his method. I never did learn to cook pork like he did.
> >
> > Later on, in the 90s, we moved our office so I never got to eat at a lunch wagon much after that. The funny thing is that the plate lunch place next door to the new office was owned by the same people that my wife and I used to eat when we were going to school. It even had the same name. We ate many times there - this time, our kids were eating with us. What a good old time!
> >

> There were mobile fish and chip vans in the UK, certainly in the 50s and
> probably long before.
> Graham

There still are

http://www.tobermoryfishandchipvan.co.uk/

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, October 2, 2014 11:17:49 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "dsi1" <> wrote in message

> On Thursday, October 2, 2014 9:35:05 PM UTC-10, wrote:
>
> > On Thursday, October 2, 2014 11:52:12 PM UTC-7, dsi1 wrote:

> > > My assumption is that the idea originated in Hawaii. My uncle had a

> > > lunch wagon back in the 60s. In the 70s, my wife and I would frequently

> > > have lunch at the University from the lunch wagon. A big plate lunch

> > > would be under 2 bucks. We'd sit under the shade of a tree and share a

> > > plate. In the 80s, I'd eat at a wagon next to where I used to work. They

> > > had a fantastic roast pork and I'd grill the cook about his method. I

> > > never did learn to cook pork like he did.

> > In the 70s here, all it was was "roach coaches." I worked at a place that

> > had one that actually played "La Cucuracha" to announce its arrival.

> That's pretty funny. My wife used to call them roach coaches too although I
>
> never did. That must have been a mainland thing.
>

> ---
>

> My parents refused to eat food from them because there is no bathroom.

Actually, they all have a jug and one of those camp thingies with the seat and bag in the corner. I mean, these guys ain't superman. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, October 2, 2014 11:42:56 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" <> wrote in message

> > On Thursday, October 2, 2014 5:03:57 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:

> >> I am watching The Food Network and there is yet another food truck

> >> competition. Are food trucks popular in your area? AFAIK the only ones

> >> have seen around here are some taco trucks and they're somewhat few and

> >> far

> >> between.

> > My assumption is that the idea originated in Hawaii. My uncle had a lunch

> > wagon back in the 60s. In the 70s, my wife and I would frequently have

> > lunch at the University from the lunch wagon. A big plate lunch would be

> > under 2 bucks. We'd sit under the shade of a tree and share a plate. In

> > the 80s, I'd eat at a wagon next to where I used to work. They had a

> > fantastic roast pork and I'd grill the cook about his method. I never did

> > learn to cook pork like he did.

> Well there is your problem! You should have been grilling the pork, not the
>
> cook ...

Not only did I grill the cook, I picked his brain. :-)

In the end, it's tough to cook a roast pork exactly like somebody else. They are all different - like snowflakes. Hee hee.

> > Later on, in the 90s, we moved our office so I never got to eat at a lunch

> > wagon much after that. The funny thing is that the plate lunch place next

> > door to the new office was owned by the same people that my wife and I

> > used to eat when we were going to school. It even had the same name. We

> > ate many times there - this time, our kids were eating with us. What a

> > good old time!

> --
>
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, October 3, 2014 2:32:02 AM UTC-10, George L wrote:
> On 10/3/2014 1:52 AM, dsi1 wrote:
>
> > My assumption is that the idea originated in Hawaii. My uncle had a lunch wagon back in the 60s. In the 70s, my wife and I would frequently have lunch at the University from the lunch wagon. A big plate lunch would be under 2 bucks. We'd sit under the shade of a tree and share a plate. In the 80s, I'd eat at a wagon next to where I used to work. They had a fantastic roast pork and I'd grill the cook about his method. I never did learn to cook pork like he did.

> I can remember food trucks on Long Island back in the 50's... mostly hot
>
> dog/hamburger places. LI was booming with construction back then and
>
> these trucks would set up near where developments were being built and
>
> along the few major highways.
>

> I think they were a logical evolution of the old hot dog carts in
>
> NYC.... food carts there were very popular when I was a kid.
>

> I think this picture is probably from the 20's or 30's
>
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...et.4a13502.jpg
>

> This picture is from 1955 in NY. When I was a kid, I used to sell these
>
> pretzels with my Uncle on the street corner by Knickerbocker Park in
>
> Brooklyn, NY. I seem to remember them being 5 cents each... and we paid
>
> 3 cents each for them.
>
> http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...5053807409652#
>

> George L

The stuff I'm talking about is a complete meal. I suppose you could call a hot dog a complete meal but it sure ain't a plate lunch which pretty much is a Hawaiian invention.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, October 3, 2014 3:29:26 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 23:52:12 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <>
>
> wrote:
>

> > Later on, in the 90s, we moved our office so I never got to eat at a lunch wagon much after that. The funny thing is that the plate lunch place next door to the new office was owned by the same people that my wife and I used to eat when we were going to school. It even had the same name. We ate many times there - this time, our kids were eating with us. What a good old time!

> So, you're saying they had a brick and mortar restaurant plus a food
>
> truck? It's a real crowd pleaser when restaurants do that! We had a
>
> little French restaurant that did it. The restaurant had a bad fire,
>
> closed and reopened in another space (which I just searched for and
>
> can't find anything current, so maybe it was all talk and no do). Not
>
> sure what happened to their food truck, but it appears not to be in
>
> business anymore either.

They sure did. The lunchwagon was named after the owner's little daughter. Years later, I'd see her taking care of the restaurant. The place grew even as she did.

> --
>
> Avoid cutting yourself when slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them.

Doggie Food Trucks -- I missed my calling Janet Bostwick General Cooking 10 24-06-2013 04:24 PM
FA: toy German beer trucks Al Beer 0 07-06-2004 09:56 PM
FS: Catering Trucks Chaz Cooking Equipment 0 27-02-2004 09:14 AM
FS: Catering Trucks Chaz Marketplace 0 27-02-2004 09:11 AM