Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default Trying a twist on the Hellmans/Best Foods baked chicken breasts

At my Fred Meyer, newly remodeled and upgraded, they have an antipasto bar next to the cheese store. They have what they call 'garlic sauce'...which is basically finely ground raw garlic in mayonnaise. It's powerful.

So I had an idea, let's do the baked parmesan chicken breasts and use the garlic sauce.
So I added a bit more mayonnaise to thin the garlic sauce down just a little, it's quite thick, mixed in some grated parmesan and italian seasoning and slathered it on boneless skinless breasts.

Then I topped the breasts with ground up pork rinds!

They are in the oven now, it's starting to smell really good.

I figure I'll get a "chicken with 50 cloves of garlic" flavor and they should have a nice crust on them.

I'll let you know how they come out and post a pic if they are any good !
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/20/2014 3:51 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> At my Fred Meyer, newly remodeled and upgraded, they have an antipasto bar next to the cheese store. They have what they call 'garlic sauce'...which is basically finely ground raw garlic in mayonnaise. It's powerful.
>
> So I had an idea, let's do the baked parmesan chicken breasts and use the garlic sauce.
> So I added a bit more mayonnaise to thin the garlic sauce down just a little, it's quite thick, mixed in some grated parmesan and italian seasoning and slathered it on boneless skinless breasts.
>
> Then I topped the breasts with ground up pork rinds!
>
> They are in the oven now, it's starting to smell really good.
>
> I figure I'll get a "chicken with 50 cloves of garlic" flavor and they should have a nice crust on them.
>
> I'll let you know how they come out and post a pic if they are any good !

Please do. I will wait with baited breath. I still can't figure out
the pork rinds coating thing.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/20/2014 1:51 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> At my Fred Meyer, newly remodeled and upgraded, they have an antipasto bar next to the cheese store. They have what they call 'garlic sauce'...which is basically finely ground raw garlic in mayonnaise. It's powerful.
>
> So I had an idea, let's do the baked parmesan chicken breasts and use the garlic sauce.
> So I added a bit more mayonnaise to thin the garlic sauce down just a little, it's quite thick, mixed in some grated parmesan and italian seasoning and slathered it on boneless skinless breasts.
>
> Then I topped the breasts with ground up pork rinds!
>
> They are in the oven now, it's starting to smell really good.
>
> I figure I'll get a "chicken with 50 cloves of garlic" flavor and they should have a nice crust on them.
>
> I'll let you know how they come out and post a pic if they are any good !

Very creative recipe, love to hear how it turns out!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> At my Fred Meyer, newly remodeled and upgraded, they have an antipasto bar
> next to the cheese store. They have what they call 'garlic
> sauce'...which is basically finely ground raw garlic in mayonnaise. It's
> powerful.
>
> So I had an idea, let's do the baked parmesan chicken breasts and use the
> garlic sauce.
> So I added a bit more mayonnaise to thin the garlic sauce down just a
> little, it's quite thick, mixed in some grated parmesan and italian
> seasoning and slathered it on boneless skinless breasts.
>
> Then I topped the breasts with ground up pork rinds!
>
> They are in the oven now, it's starting to smell really good.
>
> I figure I'll get a "chicken with 50 cloves of garlic" flavor and they
> should have a nice crust on them.
>
> I'll let you know how they come out and post a pic if they are any good !

That sounds similar to some of Hellman's recipes. The ones I have used have
always come out very well

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Saturday, September 20, 2014 12:51:01 PM UTC-7, ImStillMags wrote:

> I'll let you know how they come out and post a pic if they are any good !

They are quite good! I was afraid they would be too 'garlicky' but they aren't. The pork rinds give a nice little crunch, and they don't dominate the flavor, just add to it. It is not pick up and eat with your fingers chicken. You definitely need a knife and fork. I'll do this again.

Oh, and I made a half sheet pan full. I cook on weekends for the next weeks lunches. These will be my lunches for work. I found those ginormous chicken breasts in the used meat section. There were 5 in the pack. I cut them in half lengthwise and some I further cut in half crosswise to come out with pretty even sized pieces the same thickness so they would cook evenly together.

Baked them at 425 for about 30 minutes. You would have to go longer if you use bone in chicken.

The color on the first photo is not so great. The second photo of the plated chicken is better.

https://picasaweb.google.com/Sitara8...59212301349554

https://picasaweb.google.com/Sitara8...59307905392274

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Saturday, September 20, 2014 1:58:16 PM UTC-7, Ophelia wrote:

> That sounds similar to some of Hellman's recipes. The ones I have used have
>
> always come out very well

Yes, it is a twist on the Hellman's recipe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/20/2014 3:05 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> On Saturday, September 20, 2014 12:51:01 PM UTC-7, ImStillMags wrote:
>

>> I'll let you know how they come out and post a pic if they are any good !

> They are quite good! I was afraid they would be too 'garlicky' but they aren't. The pork rinds give a nice little crunch, and they don't dominate the flavor, just add to it. It is not pick up and eat with your fingers chicken. You definitely need a knife and fork. I'll do this again.
>
> Oh, and I made a half sheet pan full. I cook on weekends for the next weeks lunches. These will be my lunches for work. I found those ginormous chicken breasts in the used meat section. There were 5 in the pack. I cut them in half lengthwise and some I further cut in half crosswise to come out with pretty even sized pieces the same thickness so they would cook evenly together.
>
> Baked them at 425 for about 30 minutes. You would have to go longer if you use bone in chicken.
>
> The color on the first photo is not so great. The second photo of the plated chicken is better.
>
> https://picasaweb.google.com/Sitara8...59212301349554
>
> https://picasaweb.google.com/Sitara8...59307905392274

Very tasty looking indeed!

You can see the meat is beautifully cooked with lots of open grain.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
On Saturday, September 20, 2014 12:51:01 PM UTC-7, ImStillMags wrote:

> I'll let you know how they come out and post a pic if they are any good !

They are quite good! I was afraid they would be too 'garlicky' but they
aren't. The pork rinds give a nice little crunch, and they don't dominate
the flavor, just add to it. It is not pick up and eat with your fingers
chicken. You definitely need a knife and fork. I'll do this again.

Oh, and I made a half sheet pan full. I cook on weekends for the next
weeks lunches. These will be my lunches for work. I found those
ginormous chicken breasts in the used meat section. There were 5 in the
pack. I cut them in half lengthwise and some I further cut in half
crosswise to come out with pretty even sized pieces the same thickness so
they would cook evenly together.

Baked them at 425 for about 30 minutes. You would have to go longer if you
use bone in chicken.

The color on the first photo is not so great. The second photo of the
plated chicken is better.

https://picasaweb.google.com/Sitara8...59212301349554

https://picasaweb.google.com/Sitara8...59307905392274

That looks great!

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Sep 2014 14:05:19 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> On Saturday, September 20, 2014 12:51:01 PM UTC-7, ImStillMags wrote:
>

> > I'll let you know how they come out and post a pic if they are any good !

> They are quite good! I was afraid they would be too 'garlicky' but they aren't. The pork rinds give a nice little crunch, and they don't dominate the flavor, just add to it. It is not pick up and eat with your fingers chicken. You definitely need a knife and fork. I'll do this again.
>
> Oh, and I made a half sheet pan full. I cook on weekends for the next weeks lunches. These will be my lunches for work. I found those ginormous chicken breasts in the used meat section. There were 5 in the pack. I cut them in half lengthwise and some I further cut in half crosswise to come out with pretty even sized pieces the same thickness so they would cook evenly together.
>
> Baked them at 425 for about 30 minutes. You would have to go longer if you use bone in chicken.
>
> The color on the first photo is not so great. The second photo of the plated chicken is better.
>
> https://picasaweb.google.com/Sitara8...59212301349554
>
> https://picasaweb.google.com/Sitara8...59307905392274

It looks wonderful Sitra! My only problem is that I tried the other
version of pork rind coating twice and was under-whelmed... so I'm
gun-shy with this idea. Love garlic and love the idea although
crushed pork rinds haven't blown me over when I've tried them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Saturday, September 20, 2014 11:03:22 PM UTC-7, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Sep 2014 14:05:19 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
>

> It looks wonderful Sitra! My only problem is that I tried the other
>
> version of pork rind coating twice and was under-whelmed... so I'm
>
> gun-shy with this idea. Love garlic and love the idea although
>
> crushed pork rinds haven't blown me over when I've tried them.

Well, this is a bit different. This is not fried, it's baked and the pork rinds don't lend as much taste with the big garlic flavor. What they do add is a bit of crunch on the top and just enough of the bacony pork rind flavor to give it some extra yum. They give a nice color as well.

Thought about the garlic. To use your own fresh garlic, I think you would need a whole head of peeled cloves or more ground up in the processor then add the mayo. The garlic perfumed the whole house and neighborhood while the breasts were cooking. But if you love garlic like I do....it's great..

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 20, 2014 9:51:01 AM UTC-10, ImStillMags wrote:
> At my Fred Meyer, newly remodeled and upgraded, they have an antipasto bar next to the cheese store. They have what they call 'garlic sauce'...which is basically finely ground raw garlic in mayonnaise. It's powerful.
>

> So I had an idea, let's do the baked parmesan chicken breasts and use the garlic sauce.
>
> So I added a bit more mayonnaise to thin the garlic sauce down just a little, it's quite thick, mixed in some grated parmesan and italian seasoning and slathered it on boneless skinless breasts.
>

> Then I topped the breasts with ground up pork rinds!
>

> They are in the oven now, it's starting to smell really good.
>

> I figure I'll get a "chicken with 50 cloves of garlic" flavor and they should have a nice crust on them.
>

> I'll let you know how they come out and post a pic if they are any good !

I made some stuffed peppers last night. I was going to make an egg batter for deep frying but I'm getting real lazy these days so I just dumpped some Japan mayo on the peppers and rolled them in flour and deep fried them. They come out fine and tasty.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Sep 2014 09:10:08 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> On Saturday, September 20, 2014 11:03:22 PM UTC-7, sf wrote:
> > On Sat, 20 Sep 2014 14:05:19 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> >

> > It looks wonderful Sitra! My only problem is that I tried the other
> >
> > version of pork rind coating twice and was under-whelmed... so I'm
> >
> > gun-shy with this idea. Love garlic and love the idea although
> >
> > crushed pork rinds haven't blown me over when I've tried them.
> >

> Well, this is a bit different. This is not fried, it's baked and the pork rinds don't lend as much taste with the big garlic flavor. What they do add is a bit of crunch on the top and just enough of the bacony pork rind flavor to give it some extra yum. They give a nice color as well.
>
> Thought about the garlic. To use your own fresh garlic, I think you would need a whole head of peeled cloves or more ground up in the processor then add the mayo. The garlic perfumed the whole house and neighborhood while the breasts were cooking. But if you love garlic like I do....it's great.

I love garlic too and I'm not adverse to giving pork rinds another
try. I know I upped the ante on the garlic factor the second time
when I used the seasoned type. Although I wasn't gaga over it, it
certainly improved.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/20/2014 4:05 PM, ImStillMags wrote:

> I found
> those ginormous chicken breasts in the used meat section.

:-) My family refers to the bakery outlet as the 'used bread store'.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/20/2014 3:51 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
>> At my Fred Meyer, newly remodeled and upgraded, they have an antipasto
>> bar next to the cheese store. They have what they call 'garlic
>> sauce'...which is basically finely ground raw garlic in mayonnaise.
>> It's powerful.
>>
>> So I had an idea, let's do the baked parmesan chicken breasts and use
>> the garlic sauce.
>> So I added a bit more mayonnaise to thin the garlic sauce down just a
>> little, it's quite thick, mixed in some grated parmesan and italian
>> seasoning and slathered it on boneless skinless breasts.
>>
>> Then I topped the breasts with ground up pork rinds!
>>
>> They are in the oven now, it's starting to smell really good.
>>
>> I figure I'll get a "chicken with 50 cloves of garlic" flavor and they
>> should have a nice crust on them.
>>
>> I'll let you know how they come out and post a pic if they are any good !
>>

> Please do. I will wait with baited breath. I still can't figure out
> the pork rinds coating thing.
>
> Jill

Pork rinds are a low-carb substitute for bread crumbs and other starchy
things that are uses to form a crust.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote:
>> On 9/20/2014 3:51 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
>>> At my Fred Meyer, newly remodeled and upgraded, they have an antipasto
>>> bar next to the cheese store. They have what they call 'garlic
>>> sauce'...which is basically finely ground raw garlic in mayonnaise.
>>> It's powerful.
>>>
>>> So I had an idea, let's do the baked parmesan chicken breasts and use
>>> the garlic sauce.
>>> So I added a bit more mayonnaise to thin the garlic sauce down just a
>>> little, it's quite thick, mixed in some grated parmesan and italian
>>> seasoning and slathered it on boneless skinless breasts.
>>>
>>> Then I topped the breasts with ground up pork rinds!
>>>
>>> They are in the oven now, it's starting to smell really good.
>>>
>>> I figure I'll get a "chicken with 50 cloves of garlic" flavor and they
>>> should have a nice crust on them.
>>>
>>> I'll let you know how they come out and post a pic if they are any good
>>> !
>>>

>> Please do. I will wait with baited breath. I still can't figure out
>> the pork rinds coating thing.
>>
>> Jill

> Pork rinds are a low-carb substitute for bread crumbs and other starchy
> things that are uses to form a crust.

Yep, like crushed corn flakes do, except no carbs. I usually do a couple of
bags in the Cuisinart to a fine consistency and freeze them to have on hand.
A whole bag of pork rinds doesn't yield a whole lot, so I do two.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> Yep, like crushed corn flakes do, except no carbs. I usually do a couple
> of bags in the Cuisinart to a fine consistency and freeze them to have on
> hand. A whole bag of pork rinds doesn't yield a whole lot, so I do two.

There was an episode of Chopped (I think it first aired in the last year or
two) where one of the contestants breaded something with pork rinds. Scott
Conant acted like this was the most brilliant idea ever! I couldn't believe
it because I first heard of the idea many years ago.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Sep 2014 15:13:54 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> Scott
> Conant acted like this was the most brilliant idea ever! I couldn't believe
> it because I first heard of the idea many years ago.

Not every one has heard of every little thing. It was new to me too
when son said a friend had served them chicken with a pork rind
coating. In any case, it's television - he was probably being paid to
act surprised.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>
>> Yep, like crushed corn flakes do, except no carbs. I usually do a couple
>> of bags in the Cuisinart to a fine consistency and freeze them to have on
>> hand. A whole bag of pork rinds doesn't yield a whole lot, so I do two.

> There was an episode of Chopped (I think it first aired in the last year
> or two) where one of the contestants breaded something with pork rinds.
> Scott Conant acted like this was the most brilliant idea ever! I couldn't
> believe it because I first heard of the idea many years ago.

Yes, it has been around for a long time, but probably not so much for people
who aren't low carbing. It's always nice to find something that's new to you
even if it might be old to others.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 20, 2014 3:00:21 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

> Please do. I will wait with baited breath. I still can't figure out
>
> the pork rinds coating thing.

Arrrgh she just stabbed me in one of my pet peeves! It's "bated breath".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 20, 2014 2:51:01 PM UTC-5, ImStillMags wrote:
> At my Fred Meyer, newly remodeled and upgraded, they have an antipasto bar next to the cheese store. They have what they call 'garlic sauce'...which is basically finely ground raw garlic in mayonnaise. It's powerful.
>

> So I had an idea, let's do the baked parmesan chicken breasts and use the garlic sauce.
>
> So I added a bit more mayonnaise to thin the garlic sauce down just a little, it's quite thick, mixed in some grated parmesan and italian seasoning and slathered it on boneless skinless breasts.
>

> Then I topped the breasts with ground up pork rinds!
>

> They are in the oven now, it's starting to smell really good.
>

> I figure I'll get a "chicken with 50 cloves of garlic" flavor and they should have a nice crust on them.
>

> I'll let you know how they come out and post a pic if they are any good !

Sounds horrendous. Chicarones con Pollo in Hell.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

projektilevomitchick wrote:
>ImStillMags wrote:
>
>> At my Fred Meyer, newly remodeled and upgraded, they have an antipasto bar next to the cheese store. They have what they call 'garlic sauce'...which is basically finely ground raw garlic in mayonnaise. It's powerful.
>> So I had an idea, let's do the baked parmesan chicken breasts and use the garlic sauce.
>> So I added a bit more mayonnaise to thin the garlic sauce down just a little, it's quite thick, mixed in some grated parmesan and italian seasoning and slathered it on boneless skinless breasts.
>> Then I topped the breasts with ground up pork rinds!
>> They are in the oven now, it's starting to smell really good.
>> I figure I'll get a "chicken with 50 cloves of garlic" flavor and they should have a nice crust on them.
>> I'll let you know how they come out and post a pic if they are any good !

>Sounds horrendous. Chicarones con Pollo in Hell.

Chicarones are good baked in pizza crust, as pizza with toppings or
even better in a loaf:
http://newyork.seriouseats.com/image...isi-bakery.jpg