Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Disney food

On Fri, 5 Sep 2014 00:03:13 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> I suppose many people don't need to watch their carbs so much. But I also
> suppose more people should.
>
> I also remember a skinny little woman coming into our birthing class eating
> a huge ice cream cone. As in three huge scoops. As she was eating it, the
> nurse told us of proper nutrition during pregnancy and said that we needed 7
> servings of carbs a day. Mrs. ice cream cone protested loudly and said
> there was no *way* should could eat that much in a day. The nurse then
> pointed out to her that it wasn't a lot as one regular slice of bread was a
> serving. She just shook her head. I had to just sit there biting my tongue
> as she had announced to us all that they had stopped for dinner on the way
> in and just *had* to have the ice cream to finish off the meal. I would be
> willing to bet that she had some carbs in that meal because this was on Cape
> Cod where they will happily give you something fried with a side of
> something fried and of course breaded. And that giant cone had to have been
> at least 4 servings of carb right there if not more.

My husband was one of those people. You can't tell them anything,
even if your name begins with Dr. He thought he could eat whatever he
wanted in any amount because he was thin and it was hard for him to
gain weight - so he's paying the price now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/5/2014 7:45 AM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Sep 2014 00:03:13 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> I suppose many people don't need to watch their carbs so much. But I also
>> suppose more people should.
>>
>> I also remember a skinny little woman coming into our birthing class eating
>> a huge ice cream cone. As in three huge scoops. As she was eating it, the
>> nurse told us of proper nutrition during pregnancy and said that we needed 7
>> servings of carbs a day. Mrs. ice cream cone protested loudly and said
>> there was no *way* should could eat that much in a day. The nurse then
>> pointed out to her that it wasn't a lot as one regular slice of bread was a
>> serving. She just shook her head. I had to just sit there biting my tongue
>> as she had announced to us all that they had stopped for dinner on the way
>> in and just *had* to have the ice cream to finish off the meal. I would be
>> willing to bet that she had some carbs in that meal because this was on Cape
>> Cod where they will happily give you something fried with a side of
>> something fried and of course breaded. And that giant cone had to have been
>> at least 4 servings of carb right there if not more.

> My husband was one of those people. You can't tell them anything,
> even if your name begins with Dr. He thought he could eat whatever he
> wanted in any amount because he was thin and it was hard for him to
> gain weight - so he's paying the price now.

Darn it, that is unfortunate. Metabolism rates can be a chore to re-balance.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/5/2014 8:45 AM, sf wrote:

> My husband was one of those people. You can't tell them anything,
> even if your name begins with Dr. He thought he could eat whatever he
> wanted in any amount because he was thin and it was hard for him to
> gain weight - so he's paying the price now.

That sounds like my ex-husband, he has type 2 diabetes and he eats
cookies and ice cream every day, and vanilla shakes routinely. He
believes that if the medication keeps his blood sugar in check, then he
can eat anything he wants. He is living in denial.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 5 Sep 2014 00:03:13 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> I suppose many people don't need to watch their carbs so much. But I
>> also
>> suppose more people should.
>>
>> I also remember a skinny little woman coming into our birthing class
>> eating
>> a huge ice cream cone. As in three huge scoops. As she was eating it,
>> the
>> nurse told us of proper nutrition during pregnancy and said that we
>> needed 7
>> servings of carbs a day. Mrs. ice cream cone protested loudly and said
>> there was no *way* should could eat that much in a day. The nurse then
>> pointed out to her that it wasn't a lot as one regular slice of bread was
>> serving. She just shook her head. I had to just sit there biting my
>> tongue
>> as she had announced to us all that they had stopped for dinner on the
>> way
>> in and just *had* to have the ice cream to finish off the meal. I would
>> be
>> willing to bet that she had some carbs in that meal because this was on
>> Cape
>> Cod where they will happily give you something fried with a side of
>> something fried and of course breaded. And that giant cone had to have
>> been
>> at least 4 servings of carb right there if not more.

> My husband was one of those people. You can't tell them anything,
> even if your name begins with Dr. He thought he could eat whatever he
> wanted in any amount because he was thin and it was hard for him to
> gain weight - so he's paying the price now.

A lot of people are that way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca EmaNymton" > wrote in message
> On 9/5/2014 8:45 AM, sf wrote:
>
>> My husband was one of those people. You can't tell them anything,
>> even if your name begins with Dr. He thought he could eat whatever he
>> wanted in any amount because he was thin and it was hard for him to
>> gain weight - so he's paying the price now.

> That sounds like my ex-husband, he has type 2 diabetes and he eats cookies
> and ice cream every day, and vanilla shakes routinely. He believes that if
> the medication keeps his blood sugar in check, then he can eat anything he
> wants. He is living in denial.

Yep.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 05 Sep 2014 16:38:35 -0500, Becca EmaNymton
> wrote:

> On 9/5/2014 8:45 AM, sf wrote:
>
> > My husband was one of those people. You can't tell them anything,
> > even if your name begins with Dr. He thought he could eat whatever he
> > wanted in any amount because he was thin and it was hard for him to
> > gain weight - so he's paying the price now.

> That sounds like my ex-husband, he has type 2 diabetes and he eats
> cookies and ice cream every day, and vanilla shakes routinely. He
> believes that if the medication keeps his blood sugar in check, then he
> can eat anything he wants. He is living in denial.

Thank god *was* is the operative work for hubby now. He was in denial
for years and has spent the last two or more coming to grips with
reality. I'm glad he's finally pricking his finger so he is getting
real feedback instead of guessing. I think he'll need to take pills
eventually, but he has managed his gout via diet, so he has confidence
that he'll be able to manage diabetes through diet and exercise - at
least in the short run.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> Thank god *was* is the operative work for hubby now. He was in denial
> for years and has spent the last two or more coming to grips with
> reality. I'm glad he's finally pricking his finger so he is getting
> real feedback instead of guessing. I think he'll need to take pills
> eventually, but he has managed his gout via diet, so he has confidence
> that he'll be able to manage diabetes through diet and exercise - at
> least in the short run.

Good for him with the testing, it's really the only way to know what's
happening. Fortunately, it doesn't hurt as a rule. Always test on the sides
of the fingers not the pads, and never let the nurse at the doctors office
do it with a lancet. :-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 5 Sep 2014 17:32:08 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>
> > Thank god *was* is the operative work for hubby now. He was in denial
> > for years and has spent the last two or more coming to grips with
> > reality. I'm glad he's finally pricking his finger so he is getting
> > real feedback instead of guessing. I think he'll need to take pills
> > eventually, but he has managed his gout via diet, so he has confidence
> > that he'll be able to manage diabetes through diet and exercise - at
> > least in the short run.

> Good for him with the testing, it's really the only way to know what's
> happening. Fortunately, it doesn't hurt as a rule. Always test on the sides
> of the fingers not the pads, and never let the nurse at the doctors office
> do it with a lancet. :-)

I think you've forgotten the progress. He just told me today that it
doesn't hurt anymore, but he asked me *why* he should test on the side
when I told him what you said. I told him I'd ask you...

?Why? We've only heard "clean" finger.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 5 Sep 2014 17:32:08 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>
>> > Thank god *was* is the operative work for hubby now. He was in denial
>> > for years and has spent the last two or more coming to grips with
>> > reality. I'm glad he's finally pricking his finger so he is getting
>> > real feedback instead of guessing. I think he'll need to take pills
>> > eventually, but he has managed his gout via diet, so he has confidence
>> > that he'll be able to manage diabetes through diet and exercise - at
>> > least in the short run.

>> Good for him with the testing, it's really the only way to know what's
>> happening. Fortunately, it doesn't hurt as a rule. Always test on the
>> sides
>> of the fingers not the pads, and never let the nurse at the doctors
>> office
>> do it with a lancet. :-)
>>

> I think you've forgotten the progress. He just told me today that it
> doesn't hurt anymore, but he asked me *why* he should test on the side
> when I told him what you said. I told him I'd ask you...
>
> ?Why? We've only heard "clean" finger.

Because the pads are more tender and have a tendency to become sore with
things like typing etc., the pads touch everyday objects whereas the sides
close to the nails don't. I haven't forgotten his progress and I'm glad he's
taking it seriously. Good for both of you since complications affect
everybody in the family. The diabetes newsgroup used to be a great resource
years ago, but mostly arguing and nastiness going on there now.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 5 Sep 2014 17:32:08 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>
>> > Thank god *was* is the operative work for hubby now. He was in denial
>> > for years and has spent the last two or more coming to grips with
>> > reality. I'm glad he's finally pricking his finger so he is getting
>> > real feedback instead of guessing. I think he'll need to take pills
>> > eventually, but he has managed his gout via diet, so he has confidence
>> > that he'll be able to manage diabetes through diet and exercise - at
>> > least in the short run.

>> Good for him with the testing, it's really the only way to know what's
>> happening. Fortunately, it doesn't hurt as a rule. Always test on the
>> sides
>> of the fingers not the pads, and never let the nurse at the doctors
>> office
>> do it with a lancet. :-)
>>

> I think you've forgotten the progress. He just told me today that it
> doesn't hurt anymore, but he asked me *why* he should test on the side
> when I told him what you said. I told him I'd ask you...
>
> ?Why? We've only heard "clean" finger.

The pads can hurt mainly because you use them. Also don't bother changing
the lancet unless testing on another person. You can get months to years
from one lancet and it will hurt a lot less than a new one. Only change
again when it starts to hurt or you can't get a good drop of blood.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The pads can hurt mainly because you use them. Also don't bother changing
the lancet unless testing on another person. You can get months to years
from one lancet and it will hurt a lot less than a new one. Only change
again when it starts to hurt or you can't get a good drop of blood.

That is disgusting. I use a new clean lancet everytime. I wouldn't dream of using a dirty one. Using a dirty one is how you can get infections plus you won't get a proper reading from it. Are you really that hard up?

Cherry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cherry" > wrote in message
> The pads can hurt mainly because you use them. Also don't bother changing
> the lancet unless testing on another person. You can get months to years
> from one lancet and it will hurt a lot less than a new one. Only change
> again when it starts to hurt or you can't get a good drop of blood.
>

> That is disgusting. I use a new clean lancet everytime. I wouldn't dream
> of using a dirty one. Using a dirty one is how you can get infections
> plus you won't get a proper reading from it. Are you really that hard up?
>
> Cherry

What a bunch of hooey! The rep from Bayer even told me not to change them
each time. How in the hell is it going to get dirty if you are only testing
your clean hands?

And hard up? I do have insurance! Seriously, most diabetics do not change
their lancets very often at all. New lancets = pain!

What's disgusting are your nasty words to me!

Please show proof of one person getting an infection from a lancet. You
can't! It hasn't happened. Diabetics reuse needles too. When I had to
shoot several hundred units at a time from a pen, I used the same needle.
I've never ever had an infection.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 6, 2014 12:31:50 PM UTC+1, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Cherry" > wrote in message

> > The pads can hurt mainly because you use them. Also don't bother changing

> > the lancet unless testing on another person. You can get months to years

> > from one lancet and it will hurt a lot less than a new one. Only change

> > again when it starts to hurt or you can't get a good drop of blood.

That is disgusting. I use a new clean lancet everytime. I wouldn't dream of using a dirty one. Using a dirty one is how you can get infections plus you won't get a proper reading from it. Are you really that hard up?

> > Cherry

What a bunch of hooey! The rep from Bayer even told me not to change them each time. How in the hell is it going to get dirty if you are only testing your clean hands?

And hard up? I do have insurance! Seriously, most diabetics do not change
their lancets very often at all. New lancets = pain!

What's disgusting are your nasty words to me!
> Please show proof of one person getting an infection from a lancet. You

can't! It hasn't happened. Diabetics reuse needles too. When I had to
shoot several hundred units at a time from a pen, I used the same needle.
I've never ever had an infection.

I don't have to show proof, common sense is enough for me. A new lancet is at its sharpest therefore less pain unless the finger pricker is on too high a setting.

My mother had been a diabetic since 1965 when they were still using the old ground glass and surgical steel syringes and needles. Those had to be re-used, but they were sterilised throughout by boiling. Once disposable needles came into being then later the insulin pen my mum never re-used a needle.

Cherry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 5 Sep 2014 23:03:28 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> >>

> > I think you've forgotten the progress. He just told me today that it
> > doesn't hurt anymore, but he asked me *why* he should test on the side
> > when I told him what you said. I told him I'd ask you...
> >
> > ?Why? We've only heard "clean" finger.

> Because the pads are more tender and have a tendency to become sore with
> things like typing etc., the pads touch everyday objects whereas the sides
> close to the nails don't. I haven't forgotten his progress and I'm glad he's
> taking it seriously.

Thanks! I'll pass that on.

> Good for both of you since complications affect
> everybody in the family. The diabetes newsgroup used to be a great resource
> years ago, but mostly arguing and nastiness going on there now.

Sounds like that group is a "pass". We have enough arguing and
nastiness for a lifetime right here!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 5 Sep 2014 23:36:47 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> The pads can hurt mainly because you use them. Also don't bother changing
> the lancet unless testing on another person. You can get months to years
> from one lancet and it will hurt a lot less than a new one. Only change
> again when it starts to hurt or you can't get a good drop of blood.

The nice thing about Kaiser is those things are preventative medicine
so the cost to us is zero, but I'll pass on that they can be reused.
In any case, the class we took said to change them every time - so I'm
pretty sure that's what he will continue to do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 6 Sep 2014 03:08:43 -0700 (PDT), Cherry >
wrote:

> Using a dirty one is how you can get infections plus you won't get a proper reading from it. Are you really that hard up?

I was wondering about how reusing one would affect the reading.
Hubby's come with no co-pay, so I know he'll continue to use clean
lancets even if I sent links to him that say it's okay to do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 5 Sep 2014 23:03:28 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> >>
>> > I think you've forgotten the progress. He just told me today that it
>> > doesn't hurt anymore, but he asked me *why* he should test on the side
>> > when I told him what you said. I told him I'd ask you...
>> >
>> > ?Why? We've only heard "clean" finger.

>> Because the pads are more tender and have a tendency to become sore with
>> things like typing etc., the pads touch everyday objects whereas the
>> sides
>> close to the nails don't. I haven't forgotten his progress and I'm glad
>> he's
>> taking it seriously.

> Thanks! I'll pass that on.
>
>> Good for both of you since complications affect
>> everybody in the family. The diabetes newsgroup used to be a great
>> resource
>> years ago, but mostly arguing and nastiness going on there now.
>>

> Sounds like that group is a "pass". We have enough arguing and
> nastiness for a lifetime right here!

Amen!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
news
> On Sat, 6 Sep 2014 03:08:43 -0700 (PDT), Cherry >
> wrote:
>
>> Using a dirty one is how you can get infections plus you won't get a
>> proper reading from it. Are you really that hard up?

> I was wondering about how reusing one would affect the reading.
> Hubby's come with no co-pay, so I know he'll continue to use clean
> lancets even if I sent links to him that say it's okay to do.

Personal choice.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 5 Sep 2014 23:03:28 -0700, "Cheri" >

>> everybody in the family. The diabetes newsgroup used to be a great
>> resource
>> years ago, but mostly arguing and nastiness going on there now.
>>

> Sounds like that group is a "pass". We have enough arguing and
> nastiness for a lifetime right here!

I glance at it everyday to see if someone is actually posting information as
opposed to religious fights etc., but it's fairly worthless to a newbie
these days. I have been at it for years, so there's not too much to learn
anymore, but it's a shame when someone like ABC (never mention his name) the
good doctor from Atlanta takes over most groups like that, and of course the
posters who are only there to attack others with what they perceive to be
"witty and wonderful" remarks that chase newcomers off.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cherry wrote:

> The pads can hurt mainly because you use them. Also don't bother changing
> the lancet unless testing on another person. You can get months to years
> from one lancet and it will hurt a lot less than a new one. Only change
> again when it starts to hurt or you can't get a good drop of blood.
>
> That is disgusting. I use a new clean lancet everytime. I wouldn't dream of using a dirty one. Using a dirty one is how you can get infections plus you won't get a proper reading from it. Are you really that hard up?
>
> Cherry

I agree with you, Cherry. I would never reuse a lancet unless you
sterilize the hell out of it first. They are cheap and better just to
replace.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/6/2014 10:09 AM, Cherry wrote:

> My mother had been a diabetic since 1965 when they were still using the old ground glass and surgical steel syringes and needles. Those had to be re-used, but they were sterilised throughout by boiling. Once disposable needles came into being then later the insulin pen my mum never re-used a needle.
>
> Cherry

My grandson is T1 and uses the pen. The needle on it is used over and
over until empty. I think he has spares for it though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 6, 2014 5:43:44 PM UTC+1, Gary wrote:
Cherry wrote:

That is disgusting. I use a new clean lancet everytime. I wouldn't dream of using a dirty one. Using a dirty one is how you can get infections plus you won't get a proper reading from it. Are you really that hard up?

Cherry

I agree with you, Cherry. I would never reuse a lancet unless you sterilize the hell out of it first. They are cheap and better just to replace.

G.

I am trying to understand the logic. From what Julie wrote one box will last her nigh on 200 years!

Cherry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 6, 2014 6:35:05 PM UTC+1, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/6/2014 10:09 AM, Cherry wrote:

My mother had been a diabetic since 1965 when they were still using the old ground glass and surgical steel syringes and needles. Those had to be re-used, but they were sterilised throughout by boiling. Once disposable needles came into being then later the insulin pen my mum never re-used a needle.

Cherry

My grandson is T1 and uses the pen. The needle on it is used over and over until empty. I think he has spares for it though.

The needles like lancets are cheap and they come individually packaged in their own little container. If your grandson only carries the pen and not the box provided with it around with him carrying a couple of needles in his pocket should be no biggie.

If I come across as argumentative I don't mean to be, I am merely trying to understand.

Cherry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 9/6/2014 10:09 AM, Cherry wrote:
>
>> My mother had been a diabetic since 1965 when they were still using the
>> old ground glass and surgical steel syringes and needles. Those had to
>> be re-used, but they were sterilised throughout by boiling. Once
>> disposable needles came into being then later the insulin pen my mum
>> never re-used a needle.
>>
>> Cherry
>>

> My grandson is T1 and uses the pen. The needle on it is used over and
> over until empty. I think he has spares for it though.

Yes, the pens do come with spares, enough to change every time if one wanted
to, but when I was using a pen I didn't change until I started a new pen
either.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Saturday, September 6, 2014 5:43:44 PM UTC+1, Gary wrote:

> I agree with you, Cherry. I would never reuse a lancet unless you
> sterilize the hell out of it first. They are cheap and better just to
> replace.

Well, yeah, if I was testing the ferret first I would change it too. ;-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 6, 2014 11:43:44 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

> I agree with you, Cherry. I would never reuse a lancet unless you
>
> sterilize the hell out of it first. They are cheap and better just to
>
> replace.

Don't tell me that you have diabetes too.

> G.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
> news
>> On Sat, 6 Sep 2014 03:08:43 -0700 (PDT), Cherry >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Using a dirty one is how you can get infections plus you won't get a
>>> proper reading from it. Are you really that hard up?

>> I was wondering about how reusing one would affect the reading.
>> Hubby's come with no co-pay, so I know he'll continue to use clean
>> lancets even if I sent links to him that say it's okay to do.

> Personal choice.
>
> Cheri

Yes. I just didn't know if he knew this wasn't necessary because a lot of
testing newbies do not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 6 Sep 2014 16:23:53 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
> >
> > "sf" > wrote in message
> > news

> >> I was wondering about how reusing one would affect the reading.
> >> Hubby's come with no co-pay, so I know he'll continue to use clean
> >> lancets even if I sent links to him that say it's okay to do.

> > Personal choice.
> >
> > Cheri

> Yes. I just didn't know if he knew this wasn't necessary because a lot of
> testing newbies do not.

You're correct, we didn't know. He's so new at it that I don't want
him to reuse them because he's still in the experimental phase where
he's discovering what affects him, what combinations are worse than
others etc and I don't want to mess around with any more variables
than absolutely necessary. It's not a matter of cost because there is
no co-pay.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 5 Sep 2014 23:03:28 -0700, "Cheri" >

>>> everybody in the family. The diabetes newsgroup used to be a great
>>> resource
>>> years ago, but mostly arguing and nastiness going on there now.
>>>

>> Sounds like that group is a "pass". We have enough arguing and
>> nastiness for a lifetime right here!

> I glance at it everyday to see if someone is actually posting information
> as opposed to religious fights etc., but it's fairly worthless to a newbie
> these days. I have been at it for years, so there's not too much to learn
> anymore, but it's a shame when someone like ABC (never mention his name)
> the good doctor from Atlanta takes over most groups like that, and of
> course the posters who are only there to attack others with what they
> perceive to be "witty and wonderful" remarks that chase newcomers off.
>
> Cheri

Agree. One group has been taken over by some wacko who makes up his own
words and then others argue with him. The other has people posting the kind
of stuff that probably should be posted to the more technical group.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cherry" > wrote in message
> On Saturday, September 6, 2014 5:43:44 PM UTC+1, Gary wrote:
> Cherry wrote:
>
> That is disgusting. I use a new clean lancet everytime. I wouldn't dream
> of using a dirty one. Using a dirty one is how you can get infections
> plus you won't get a proper reading from it. Are you really that hard up?
>
> Cherry
>

> I agree with you, Cherry. I would never reuse a lancet unless you
> sterilize the hell out of it first. They are cheap and better just to
> replace.
>
> G.
>
> I am trying to understand the logic. From what Julie wrote one box will
> last her nigh on 200 years!
>
> Cherry

No. I actually dispose of them after a time and get new. You can do what
you want but there is certainly nothing wrong with what I do and it is even
approved and recommended by medical professionals here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 9/6/2014 10:09 AM, Cherry wrote:
>
>> My mother had been a diabetic since 1965 when they were still using the
>> old ground glass and surgical steel syringes and needles. Those had to
>> be re-used, but they were sterilised throughout by boiling. Once
>> disposable needles came into being then later the insulin pen my mum
>> never re-used a needle.
>>
>> Cherry
>>

> My grandson is T1 and uses the pen. The needle on it is used over and
> over until empty. I think he has spares for it though.

Yep. Very, very common for people to do this.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cherry" > wrote in message
[...]

---

I did as I was instructed to do by my medical people. Initially I think I
was told that I could change the lancet daily if I chose. But after talking
to others and then trying for myself, I realized that it was much less
painful to just keep using the same lancet. There was a guy in the UK who
recently passed away. He claimed to be on the very first lancet ever and
never changed. He was type 1.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>> On 9/6/2014 10:09 AM, Cherry wrote:
>>
>>> My mother had been a diabetic since 1965 when they were still using the
>>> old ground glass and surgical steel syringes and needles. Those had to
>>> be re-used, but they were sterilised throughout by boiling. Once
>>> disposable needles came into being then later the insulin pen my mum
>>> never re-used a needle.
>>>
>>> Cherry
>>>

>> My grandson is T1 and uses the pen. The needle on it is used over and
>> over until empty. I think he has spares for it though.

> Yes, the pens do come with spares, enough to change every time if one
> wanted to, but when I was using a pen I didn't change until I started a
> new pen either.
>
> Cheri

I mainly only did not cap and reuse because I have a propensity for pricking
myself on the needles. So it is just far easier for me to clip the damned
things and get rid of them. But if I have to do repeated shots of the same
insulin, I will for sure use the same needle.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 6 Sep 2014 16:23:53 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > "sf" > wrote in message
>> > news >> >> On Sat, 6 Sep 2014 03:08:43 -0700 (PDT), Cherry >

>> > Personal choice.
>> >
>> > Cheri

>> Yes. I just didn't know if he knew this wasn't necessary because a lot
>> of
>> testing newbies do not.

> You're correct, we didn't know. He's so new at it that I don't want
> him to reuse them because he's still in the experimental phase where
> he's discovering what affects him, what combinations are worse than
> others etc and I don't want to mess around with any more variables
> than absolutely necessary. It's not a matter of cost because there is
> no co-pay.

I don't think it's ever a matter of cost in reusing them. I think I've only
ever had my insurance cover them once. The first box that I got. They sell
for around $9.97 per box.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan-TGWWW wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > I agree with you, Cherry. I would never reuse a lancet unless you
> > sterilize the hell out of it first. They are cheap and better just to
> > replace.
> >

> Don't tell me that you have diabetes too.

Not to my knowledge, Bryan. I have mild asthma, mostly due to pollen
allergies. It's mild though. I control it with an OTC asthma drug
occasionally. What I buy is called BronkAid. It's a mild
bronchodilator and an expectorant combined. I take it occasionally and
sometimes an allery pill too (Allegra) when pollen season is in full
swing.

I had a bad attack 6 years ago and doctors gave me the most powerful
prescription medication but it was overkill. That drug was called
"Symbicort" or something like that. It says to only use that when
nothing else works. Expensive too....about $200 for a month's supply.
That hurts with no insurance co-pay.

I do wonder how diabetics discover that they have developed it. I've
read that gentics have a play in if you are prone to it. None of my
family has ever had it until a few years ago when my mom developed it
at age 80.

So now I wonder about me. For the diabetics here - what are the
warning signs? Are there any or just determined by a routine blood
test?

G.

And Bryan....I just jumped in about the blood testing. I can't image
using the same needle for months or years with out replacing or at
least cleaning well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 7, 2014 3:23:26 PM UTC+1, Gary wrote:
> Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
>

> > Gary wrote:

> > > I agree with you, Cherry. I would never reuse a lancet unless you

> > > sterilize the hell out of it first. They are cheap and better just to

> > > replace.

> > Don't tell me that you have diabetes too.

> Not to my knowledge, Bryan. I have mild asthma, mostly due to pollen
>
> allergies. It's mild though. I control it with an OTC asthma drug
>
> occasionally. What I buy is called BronkAid. It's a mild
>
> bronchodilator and an expectorant combined. I take it occasionally and
>
> sometimes an allery pill too (Allegra) when pollen season is in full
>
> swing.
>

> I had a bad attack 6 years ago and doctors gave me the most powerful
>
> prescription medication but it was overkill. That drug was called
>
> "Symbicort" or something like that. It says to only use that when
>
> nothing else works. Expensive too....about $200 for a month's supply.
>
> That hurts with no insurance co-pay.

I do wonder how diabetics discover that they have developed it. I've read that gentics have a play in if you are prone to it. None of my family has ever had it until a few years ago when my mom developed it at age 80.

So now I wonder about me. For the diabetics here - what are the warning signs? Are there any or just determined by a routine blood test?

G.

And Bryan....I just jumped in about the blood testing. I can't image using the same needle for months or years with out replacing or at least cleaning well.

An unquenchable thirst is often the first sign brought about by having too much sugar in your blood. Then you see your doctor who will arrange a fasting blood test.

Cherry

Disney food Ed Pawlowski General Cooking 219 10-09-2014 03:23 AM
Disney food Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 46 07-09-2014 09:39 PM
Disney food sf[_9_] General Cooking 18 06-09-2014 05:58 PM
Disney food sf[_9_] General Cooking 3 06-09-2014 05:32 PM
Disney Food Clown Disciple General Cooking 24 11-06-2004 05:17 AM