Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Who Invented the Trinity?

"l not -l" > wrote in message
eb.com...

> On 7-Mar-2014, wrote:
>
>> Who Invented the Trinity?

> By most accounts, it was Jean Baptiste Beaudreaux, sometime around 1760,
> near what is today known as Lafayette Louisiana. Jean was among the
> Acadians expelled from Canada and made their way to Louisiana, bringing
> their French-inspired cuisine with them. Beaudreaux had dug up a bunch of
> mudbugs (crawdads) and was about to make a big pot of etoufee when he
> found
> he was out of carrots; how could he make etoufee without a mirepoix.
> After
> studyin' on it, while drinking a bit of sauterne, he decided to use a bell
> pepper, because he had no idea what else they were good for. So, he made
> that big ole pot of etoufee and when he tasted it he exclaimed "hooo-weee,
> thank you god, you saved my etoufee". In fact, it was the best he ever
> made; as he prayed before tucking into his etoufee he ended with "in the
> name of the father, son and holy ghost, amen." He told everyone he knew
> how
> the Trinity had saved him and made his etoufee the best ever. Well, word
> of
> the trinity spread among the cajuns and they all started using it in their
> etoufees, gumbos and what have you.
>
> That's the story of the invention of the trinity by Jean Baptiste
> Beaudreaux. Now I got to git in da kitchen an chop some on-yon, ce'ry and
> bell peppa an' make me some gumbo - I garontee it be good

So now we know)

O off to google 'etoufee' )

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Friday, March 7, 2014 3:16:41 PM UTC-8, Ophelia wrote:

> O off to google 'etoufee' )

Here's mine.

Note. This recipe has a can of soup in it. Purists will scream. But real people in South Louisiana use the soup. Also note that there are NO tomatoes in this recipe. This is not shrimp Creole, it is etouffe' and etouffe' has NO tomatoes in it.

Crawfish or Shrimp Etouffee'
There is one element in this recipe that makes people shake their heads. It's the mushroom soup. I kid you not. Real Cajuns that I know, use mushroom soup in their etouffee. Oh, there are recipes without it, but to me this one is he most quintessential etouffee of all.

The word étouffée comes from the French étouffer , which means "to smother" or "to suffocate." Basically this is shrimp/crawfish smothered down with onions and seasonings and slowly cooked until the shrimp/crawfish are melt in your mouth tender.

Recipe By : Sitara
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :1:00
Categories : New Orleans/Cajun/Creole Luncheon
Main Dishes Seafood Stews

3 pounds large shrimp -- peeled and deveined ....or crawfish tail meat
or a combination of both
3 cups onion -- chopped
2 medium bell pepper -- chopped
4 cloves garlic -- minced
1 cup green onion -- chopped
1 cup fresh parsley -- chopped
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 stick butter
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 can mushroom soup, condensed
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
salt and pepper to taste

1. In a very heavy bottomed pot melt butter and saute onion, bell pepper and garlic slowly uncovered till vegetables are wilted and soft.
2. Add Lemon juice and simmer covered on very low for 30 minutes.
3. Add all other ingredients except shrimp green onion and parsley and cook for one hour covered on very low heat.
4. Dissolve cornstarch and add to mixture. Cook 15 minutes.
5. Add shrimp, green onions and parsley. Cook 30 minutes over low fire, stirring
every few minutes. The shrimp should be completely melt in your mouth tender.

Serve over rice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Friday, March 7, 2014 3:16:41 PM UTC-8, Ophelia wrote:

oh, and here's good conversation about etouffe' from a cooking board.

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/881365
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> On Friday, March 7, 2014 3:16:41 PM UTC-8, Ophelia wrote:
>

> oh, and here's good conversation about etouffe' from a cooking board.
>
> http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/881365

Interesting! Thank you for both posts

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/