Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default stovetop stuffing mix

Maybe my mother tried it back in the day, but I don't remember eating
it and if I did, I didn't like it well enough to repeat the
experience. Fast forward to this morning. I was looking at recipes
for a cranberry glaze to use with meatballs and found a recipe that
calls for stuffing mix with cranberries.
http://www.ifood.tv/recipe/bite-size...p.N9l3LRu4aUCR
Say, whaaat? I thought they made that up, but it turns out there
really is such a product!
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...-showdown.html
It's Whole Foods' house brand, 365 Organic, chicken flavored with
cranberries stuffing mix. I may buy a box and see it I like it or
not. If I don't, no loss. The rest of it can be meatball filler.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/2/2014 9:28 AM, sf wrote:

> Maybe my mother tried it back in the day, but I don't remember eating
> it and if I did, I didn't like it well enough to repeat the
> experience. Fast forward to this morning. I was looking at recipes
> for a cranberry glaze to use with meatballs and found a recipe that
> calls for stuffing mix with cranberries.
> http://www.ifood.tv/recipe/bite-size...p.N9l3LRu4aUCR
> Say, whaaat? I thought they made that up, but it turns out there
> really is such a product!
> http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...-showdown.html
> It's Whole Foods' house brand, 365 Organic, chicken flavored with
> cranberries stuffing mix. I may buy a box and see it I like it or
> not. If I don't, no loss. The rest of it can be meatball filler.

The stuffing mixes that I have tried were all way too salty. It's been a
while, though, so perhaps they've toned it down.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Mar 2014 09:43:04 -0500, Travis McGee >
wrote:

>On 3/2/2014 9:28 AM, sf wrote:
>>
>> Maybe my mother tried it back in the day, but I don't remember eating
>> it and if I did, I didn't like it well enough to repeat the
>> experience. Fast forward to this morning. I was looking at recipes
>> for a cranberry glaze to use with meatballs and found a recipe that
>> calls for stuffing mix with cranberries.
>> http://www.ifood.tv/recipe/bite-size...p.N9l3LRu4aUCR
>> Say, whaaat? I thought they made that up, but it turns out there
>> really is such a product!
>> http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...-showdown.html
>> It's Whole Foods' house brand, 365 Organic, chicken flavored with
>> cranberries stuffing mix. I may buy a box and see it I like it or
>> not. If I don't, no loss. The rest of it can be meatball filler.
>>

>The stuffing mixes that I have tried were all way too salty. It's been a
>while, though, so perhaps they've toned it down.

Exactly what Travis said. "Whole Foods' house brand, 365 Organic
chicken flavored with cranberries stuffing mix" my ass! Lots of SALT
is more like it! Processed food SALTY CRAP!

That's why you need a copy of The Joy Of Cooking. I'd open mine and
look up "stuffings and dresings" and look through their recipes to get
an idea of what and how m,ucvh to put in "my stuffing" Then I'd make
my own. That's what I always did for Thankgiving, baxck in the day
when I'd make the turkey and stuffing. And it was ALWAYS great! And
never too salty.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Mar 2014 09:37:14 -0600, John Kuthe >
wrote:

> Exactly what Travis said. "Whole Foods' house brand, 365 Organic
> chicken flavored with cranberries stuffing mix" my ass! Lots of SALT
> is more like it! Processed food SALTY CRAP!

How would you know? This is the 4th item where you're being just as
nasty and dictatorial as Bryan. No wonder you two were friends.

PRODUCT DETAILS

Ingredients:
Organic wheat flour, organic sunflower and/or safflower oil, organic
cranberries, organic cracked rye, organic cracked wheat, salt,
contains 2% or less of the following: yeast, organic sugar, organic
wheat gluten, organic onion, organic maltodextrin*, organic spices,
organic dextrose, organic garlic, organic yeast extract, organic
parsley, organic chicken flavor, glycerin. *derived from organic corn

Allergen Info:
Contains wheat ingredients. Produced in a facility that also processes
tree nuts, milk, fish (anchovies) and soy.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

> That's why you need a copy of The Joy Of Cooking. I

I have the "Joy of Cooking" and it's so 'yawn'. Pictures would make
it much better but as it is written, it's very boring to me and not
worth taking off the bookshelf.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/2/2014 11:13 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Mar 2014 09:37:14 -0600, John Kuthe >
> wrote:
>
>> Exactly what Travis said. "Whole Foods' house brand, 365 Organic
>> chicken flavored with cranberries stuffing mix" my ass! Lots of SALT
>> is more like it! Processed food SALTY CRAP!

> How would you know? This is the 4th item where you're being just as
> nasty and dictatorial as Bryan. No wonder you two were friends.
>
> PRODUCT DETAILS
>
> Ingredients:
> Organic wheat flour, organic sunflower and/or safflower oil, organic
> cranberries, organic cracked rye, organic cracked wheat, salt,
> contains 2% or less of the following: yeast, organic sugar, organic
> wheat gluten, organic onion, organic maltodextrin*, organic spices,
> organic dextrose, organic garlic, organic yeast extract, organic
> parsley, organic chicken flavor, glycerin. *derived from organic corn

Kuthe and Bryan are birds of a feather, carrying on some stupid feud on
this ng. (They're both in my bozo bin.) Even if you made your own
cranberry stuffing from bread you baked from scratch, there would be
salt in the bread. If not, it would be some pretty crappy bread. And
some pretty crappy stuffing.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> That's why you need a copy of The Joy Of Cooking. I'd open mine and
> look up "stuffings and dresings" and look through their recipes to get
> an idea of what and how m,ucvh to put in "my stuffing" Then I'd make
> my own. That's what I always did for Thankgiving, baxck in the day
> when I'd make the turkey and stuffing. And it was ALWAYS great! And
> never too salty.
>
> John Kuthe...

Hi John,

I don't mind the boxed stove top version. It;s fast and easy. I
prefer the Pepperidge farm sorts (comfort food as a kid, didnt get it
often but it was the most edible part of the bird).

I've made it from scratch when I had to in Japan and it was good but it
was also a pita to do.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Mar 2014 09:37:14 -0600, John Kuthe >
> wrote:
>

>> Exactly what Travis said. "Whole Foods' house brand, 365 Organic
>> chicken flavored with cranberries stuffing mix" my ass! Lots of SALT
>> is more like it! Processed food SALTY CRAP!

> How would you know? This is the 4th item where you're being just as
> nasty and dictatorial as Bryan. No wonder you two were friends.
>
> PRODUCT DETAILS
>
> Ingredients:
> Organic wheat flour, organic sunflower and/or safflower oil, organic
> cranberries, organic cracked rye, organic cracked wheat, salt,
> contains 2% or less of the following: yeast, organic sugar, organic
> wheat gluten, organic onion, organic maltodextrin*, organic spices,
> organic dextrose, organic garlic, organic yeast extract, organic
> parsley, organic chicken flavor, glycerin. *derived from organic corn
>
> Allergen Info:
> Contains wheat ingredients. Produced in a facility that also processes
> tree nuts, milk, fish (anchovies) and soy.

The thing that's always interesting to me regarding sodium/salt is the
serving size and the amount of sodium. I think that gives you a more
accurate picture than just where salt is on the ingredients list.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 3 Mar 2014 10:01:50 -0500, "Steve Freides" >
wrote:

> The thing that's always interesting to me regarding sodium/salt is the
> serving size and the amount of sodium. I think that gives you a more
> accurate picture than just where salt is on the ingredients list.

You know my Google Foo isn't the best. I would have loved to see that
one, but didn't find it within close range of what I posted and refuse
to put any more effort into doing it, because I really do NOT care. I
can look at the box in person when I am there. I'm buying it to use
as an ingredient, not to eat off the plate, so surprise, surprise - I
can figure out how to counter act a little too much salt in a boxed
stuffing mix. Anyone else who cares enough to comment about the
amount of salt can look up the information for himself. Notice the
male gender? That was said on purpose. I have noted over the years
that it's always male personality posters who get their panties in a
twist over these things. The rest of us who actually do the shopping
in real life (the female gender personalities), know we can check the
label on the box when we have it in our hands and we're grown up
enough to decide if we'll buy it or make it ourselves. /rant off/

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Maybe my mother tried it back in the day, but I don't remember eating
> it and if I did, I didn't like it well enough to repeat the
> experience.

Stovetop stuffing is blah but it's a good base to start with. Very
amusing to see that they actually won the competition. I always start
with that then enhance it. One main thing is to use your great
homemade stock instead of water.

I have a box here now. I also still have some frozen cranberries. I
might throw a few into the mix next time I make stuffing.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Mar 2014 10:01:50 -0500, "Steve Freides" >
> wrote:
>
>> The thing that's always interesting to me regarding sodium/salt is
>> the serving size and the amount of sodium. I think that gives you a
>> more accurate picture than just where salt is on the ingredients
>> list.
>>

> You know my Google Foo isn't the best. I would have loved to see that
> one, but didn't find it within close range of what I posted and refuse
> to put any more effort into doing it, because I really do NOT care. I
> can look at the box in person when I am there. I'm buying it to use
> as an ingredient, not to eat off the plate, so surprise, surprise - I
> can figure out how to counter act a little too much salt in a boxed
> stuffing mix. Anyone else who cares enough to comment about the
> amount of salt can look up the information for himself. Notice the
> male gender? That was said on purpose. I have noted over the years
> that it's always male personality posters who get their panties in a
> twist over these things. The rest of us who actually do the shopping
> in real life (the female gender personalities), know we can check the
> label on the box when we have it in our hands and we're grown up
> enough to decide if we'll buy it or make it ourselves. /rant off/

I'm a guy and I shop like one - that shouldn't be a surprise - and I'm
also far from the only guy food shopping on a regular basis.

I mentioned, as part of a public conversation here, what would have been
more interesting to me. I didn't say there is anything wrong with what
you do.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 3 Mar 2014 10:01:50 -0500, "Steve Freides" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> The thing that's always interesting to me regarding sodium/salt is
>>> the serving size and the amount of sodium. I think that gives you a
>>> more accurate picture than just where salt is on the ingredients
>>> list.
>>>

>> You know my Google Foo isn't the best. I would have loved to see that
>> one, but didn't find it within close range of what I posted and refuse
>> to put any more effort into doing it, because I really do NOT care. I
>> can look at the box in person when I am there. I'm buying it to use
>> as an ingredient, not to eat off the plate, so surprise, surprise - I
>> can figure out how to counter act a little too much salt in a boxed
>> stuffing mix. Anyone else who cares enough to comment about the
>> amount of salt can look up the information for himself. Notice the
>> male gender? That was said on purpose. I have noted over the years
>> that it's always male personality posters who get their panties in a
>> twist over these things. The rest of us who actually do the shopping
>> in real life (the female gender personalities), know we can check the
>> label on the box when we have it in our hands and we're grown up
>> enough to decide if we'll buy it or make it ourselves. /rant off/

> I'm a guy and I shop like one - that shouldn't be a surprise - and I'm
> also far from the only guy food shopping on a regular basis.
>
> I mentioned, as part of a public conversation here, what would have been
> more interesting to me. I didn't say there is anything wrong with what
> you do.

I am just interesting in the assertion that men wear panties - twisted or
not ;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/4/2014 11:32 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Steve Freides" > wrote in message
>> sf wrote:

>>> You know my Google Foo isn't the best. I would have loved to see that
>>> one, but didn't find it within close range of what I posted and refuse
>>> to put any more effort into doing it, because I really do NOT care. I
>>> can look at the box in person when I am there. I'm buying it to use
>>> as an ingredient, not to eat off the plate, so surprise, surprise - I
>>> can figure out how to counter act a little too much salt in a boxed
>>> stuffing mix. Anyone else who cares enough to comment about the
>>> amount of salt can look up the information for himself. Notice the
>>> male gender? That was said on purpose. I have noted over the years
>>> that it's always male personality posters who get their panties in a
>>> twist over these things. The rest of us who actually do the shopping
>>> in real life (the female gender personalities), know we can check the
>>> label on the box when we have it in our hands and we're grown up
>>> enough to decide if we'll buy it or make it ourselves. /rant off/

>> I'm a guy and I shop like one - that shouldn't be a surprise - and I'm
>> also far from the only guy food shopping on a regular basis.
>>
>> I mentioned, as part of a public conversation here, what would have
>> been more interesting to me. I didn't say there is anything wrong
>> with what you do.

> I am just interesting in the assertion that men wear panties - twisted
> or not ;-)

I posted this to a board years ago, but I think that it remains sound
advice:

I offer this advice in the spirit of public service, as there seems to
be a lot of this going around these days:

WHAT TO DO IF YOU GET YOUR PANTIES UP IN A BUNCH:

1) Stay calm, DON'T PANIC!!!

2) Pull down the panties, and step out of them. This may take some
effort, depending on how bunched up the panties are.

3) Unbunch the panties.

4) Step into the panties, and pull them back up.

4) Above all, don't panic, STAY CALM!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Travis McGee" > wrote in message

> On 3/4/2014 11:32 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> I'm a guy and I shop like one - that shouldn't be a surprise - and I'm
>>> also far from the only guy food shopping on a regular basis.
>>>
>>> I mentioned, as part of a public conversation here, what would have
>>> been more interesting to me. I didn't say there is anything wrong
>>> with what you do.

>> I am just interesting in the assertion that men wear panties - twisted
>> or not ;-)
>>

> I posted this to a board years ago, but I think that it remains sound
> advice:
>
> I offer this advice in the spirit of public service, as there seems to be
> a lot of this going around these days:
>
> WHAT TO DO IF YOU GET YOUR PANTIES UP IN A BUNCH:
>
> 1) Stay calm, DON'T PANIC!!!
>
> 2) Pull down the panties, and step out of them. This may take some effort,
> depending on how bunched up the panties are.
>
> 3) Unbunch the panties.
>
> 4) Step into the panties, and pull them back up.
>
> 4) Above all, don't panic, STAY CALM!!!

good! How many men here responded?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Mar 2014 17:50:07 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Travis McGee" > wrote in message

>>> I am just interesting in the assertion that men wear panties - twisted
>>> or not ;-)
>>>

>> I posted this to a board years ago, but I think that it remains sound
>> advice:
>>
>> I offer this advice in the spirit of public service, as there seems to be
>> a lot of this going around these days:
>>
>> WHAT TO DO IF YOU GET YOUR PANTIES UP IN A BUNCH:
>>
>> 1) Stay calm, DON'T PANIC!!!
>>
>> 2) Pull down the panties, and step out of them. This may take some effort,
>> depending on how bunched up the panties are.
>>
>> 3) Unbunch the panties.
>>
>> 4) Step into the panties, and pull them back up.
>>
>> 4) Above all, don't panic, STAY CALM!!!

>good! How many men here responded?

I wear boxers... last pack I bought are tartan plaid!
http://www.amazon.com/Hanes-Classics...SX6D2WPXR0BJMD

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> "Steve Freides" > wrote in message
>> sf wrote:

>>> You know my Google Foo isn't the best. I would have loved to see
>>> that one, but didn't find it within close range of what I posted
>>> and refuse to put any more effort into doing it, because I really
>>> do NOT care. I can look at the box in person when I am there. I'm
>>> buying it to use as an ingredient, not to eat off the plate, so
>>> surprise, surprise - I can figure out how to counter act a little
>>> too much salt in a boxed stuffing mix. Anyone else who cares
>>> enough to comment about the amount of salt can look up the
>>> information for himself. Notice the male gender? That was said on
>>> purpose. I have noted over the years that it's always male
>>> personality posters who get their panties in a twist over these
>>> things. The rest of us who actually do the shopping in real life
>>> (the female gender personalities), know we can check the label on
>>> the box when we have it in our hands and we're grown up enough to
>>> decide if we'll buy it or make it ourselves. /rant off/

>> I'm a guy and I shop like one - that shouldn't be a surprise - and
>> I'm also far from the only guy food shopping on a regular basis.
>>
>> I mentioned, as part of a public conversation here, what would have
>> been more interesting to me. I didn't say there is anything wrong
>> with what you do.

> I am just interesting in the assertion that men wear panties -
> twisted or not ;-)

I would like it noted that this was not my assertion - just sayin'.

I prefer "knickers in a knot" both for its alliteration and because it
seems not quite as, well, you know ...

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 2:04:25 PM UTC-5, Steve Freides wrote:

> I prefer "knickers in a knot" both for its alliteration and because it
> seems not quite as, well, you know ...
>
> -S-

The phrase is "don't get your knickers in a twist"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message

>> I am just interesting in the assertion that men wear panties -
>> twisted or not ;-)

> I would like it noted that this was not my assertion - just sayin'.

Hmmm ok ...

> I prefer "knickers in a knot" both for its alliteration and because it
> seems not quite as, well, you know ...

nodnodnod ;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message

> I wear boxers... last pack I bought are tartan plaid!
> http://www.amazon.com/Hanes-Classics...SX6D2WPXR0BJMD

What? No panties??? pah

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Mar 2014 14:04:25 -0500, "Steve Freides" >
wrote:

> I prefer "knickers in a knot" both for its alliteration and because it
> seems not quite as, well, you know ...

Please believe me when I say I said it that way on purpose precisely
to imply the "you know" factor.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:
>"Steve Freides"wrote:
>
>> I prefer "knickers in a knot" both for its alliteration and because it
>> seems not quite as, well, you know ...

>Please believe me when I say I said it that way on purpose precisely
>to imply the "you know" factor.

sf's panties can knot a trawling net.