FoodBanter.com

-   -   Turkey Fryer (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/42780-turkey-fryer.html)

Wayne Boatwright 08-11-2004 02:18 AM

Turkey Fryer

For years I've read about deep frying whole turkeys, especially around the
holidays, and seen various propane contraptions with the burners, stands, and
pots, none of which seemed safe enough to handle when filled with gallons of
oil and a heavy turkey.

Today at Walmart, amidst all the propane paraphernalia, I saw an electric
turkey fryer which would seem much safer than the propane. I didn't look at
in detail since I don't plan to buy one. It was a large one-piece unit and
had a hinged lid and, of course, temperature control on the front.
Interesting...

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Dave Smith 08-11-2004 02:20 AM

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> For years I've read about deep frying whole turkeys, especially around the
> holidays, and seen various propane contraptions with the burners, stands, and
> pots, none of which seemed safe enough to handle when filled with gallons of
> oil and a heavy turkey.
>
> Today at Walmart, amidst all the propane paraphernalia, I saw an electric
> turkey fryer which would seem much safer than the propane. I didn't look at
> in detail since I don't plan to buy one. It was a large one-piece unit and
> had a hinged lid and, of course, temperature control on the front.
> Interesting...

I would want to make sure that there was enough power in the thing to maintain a
good hot temperature for something with enough fat in it to do a turkey, plus the
turkey. I just can't see a plug in device doing that. I will leave deep fried
turkey to someone who is brave enough to do it. I have had enough hot fat burns
in my life and known people who have had fat fires. I will stick to the oven for
doing my turkey :-)

Dave Smith 08-11-2004 02:20 AM

Kenneth 08-11-2004 02:30 AM

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 01:18:15 GMT, Wayne Boatwright >
wrote:

>For years I've read about deep frying whole turkeys, especially around the
>holidays, and seen various propane contraptions with the burners, stands, and
>pots, none of which seemed safe enough to handle when filled with gallons of
>oil and a heavy turkey.
>
>Today at Walmart, amidst all the propane paraphernalia, I saw an electric
>turkey fryer which would seem much safer than the propane. I didn't look at
>in detail since I don't plan to buy one. It was a large one-piece unit and
>had a hinged lid and, of course, temperature control on the front.
>Interesting...

Hi Wayne,

I have no idea if it is the same unit that you saw, but the current
Consumer's Reports issue has an electric gadget for frying turkeys and
they explain that it is the first they have seen that they believe to
be sufficiently safe...

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Kenneth 08-11-2004 02:30 AM

Wayne Boatwright 08-11-2004 02:48 AM

Dave Smith > wrote in
:

> I would want to make sure that there was enough power in the thing to
> maintain a good hot temperature for something with enough fat in it to
> do a turkey, plus the turkey. I just can't see a plug in device doing
> that. I will leave deep fried turkey to someone who is brave enough to
> do it. I have had enough hot fat burns in my life and known people who
> have had fat fires. I will stick to the oven for doing my turkey :-)

My sentiments as well. I'm afraid of the propane contraptions and heavy pots
on poorly balanced on a frame. Even with the electric unit there sufficient
hot fat to produce severe burns if anything went wrong.

Wayne Boatwright 08-11-2004 02:48 AM

Dave Smith > wrote in
:

Wayne Boatwright 08-11-2004 02:48 AM

Dave Smith > wrote in
:

Wayne Boatwright 08-11-2004 02:50 AM

Kenneth > wrote in
:

> Hi Wayne,
>
> I have no idea if it is the same unit that you saw, but the current
> Consumer's Reports issue has an electric gadget for frying turkeys and
> they explain that it is the first they have seen that they believe to
> be sufficiently safe...
>
> All the best,

More than likely it's the same unit. I doubt there would be many new
electrics out all at the same time. I'm sure it would be much safer than the
propane burner, stand, and pot. Still, that much hot grease is a hazard I
don't want to risk.

Wayne Boatwright 08-11-2004 02:50 AM

Kenneth > wrote in
:

Bill 08-11-2004 03:42 AM

wrote:

>For years I've read about deep frying whole turkeys, especially around the
>holidays, and seen various propane contraptions with the burners, stands, and
>pots, none of which seemed safe enough to handle when filled with gallons of
>oil and a heavy turkey.
>
>Today at Walmart, amidst all the propane paraphernalia, I saw an electric
>turkey fryer which would seem much safer than the propane. I didn't look at
>in detail since I don't plan to buy one. It was a large one-piece unit and
>had a hinged lid and, of course, temperature control on the front.
>Interesting...

Hey Wayne!
I bought one of those propane fired turkey fryers last year. If you
respect the danger involved in using it...it's ok. You need to set it
up outdoors on a surface that won't be bothered if you spill 375
degree oil onto it. You basically get that peanut oil up to about 375
degrees fahrenheit and deep fry the turkey. Before you heat the oil,
put the turkey in the pot and fill it with water up to about three
inches from the top, then take the turkey out and see where the water
level is...this is how high you want to fill the pot with
oil...otherwise you may cause the oil to run over the sides of the pot
when you drop the turkey in to cook. If you set it up on your patio or
driveway...put several layers of newspaper under the pot to absorb the
oil you spill when lifting the bird out of the hot oil.

I thought the cooked turkey was delicious...much more moist and juicy
than alot of traditionally oven baked turkeys I have had in the past.

Regards,
Bill

Bill 08-11-2004 03:42 AM

MJ 08-11-2004 04:02 AM

I had deep fried turkey a couple of times in the past couple of years (i
have never cooked it myself but done by relatives). It was the best turkey i
have ever had..so moist and juicy. The only draw back is..no gravy... :( and
if you can get past the idea of how bad the peanut oil is for you. Other
than that i would choose deep fried over oven cooked in a minute

MJ 08-11-2004 04:02 AM

Wayne Boatwright 08-11-2004 04:21 AM

Bill > wrote in
:

> Hey Wayne!
> I bought one of those propane fired turkey fryers last year. If you
> respect the danger involved in using it...it's ok. You need to set it
> up outdoors on a surface that won't be bothered if you spill 375
> degree oil onto it. You basically get that peanut oil up to about 375
> degrees fahrenheit and deep fry the turkey. Before you heat the oil,
> put the turkey in the pot and fill it with water up to about three
> inches from the top, then take the turkey out and see where the water
> level is...this is how high you want to fill the pot with
> oil...otherwise you may cause the oil to run over the sides of the pot
> when you drop the turkey in to cook. If you set it up on your patio or
> driveway...put several layers of newspaper under the pot to absorb the
> oil you spill when lifting the bird out of the hot oil.
>
> I thought the cooked turkey was delicious...much more moist and juicy
> than alot of traditionally oven baked turkeys I have had in the past.
>
> Regards,
> Bill

Hi Bill!
I've eaten deep fried turkey a couple of times at friends and I have to
agree that it's delicious. Having been burned badly by a coking fire once
as a child, however, I think I'm still too leary of attempting this myself.
I'll defer to the experts. <g>

All great tips that you provided, though. Thanks!

Wayne Boatwright 08-11-2004 04:21 AM

Bill > wrote in
:

rmg 08-11-2004 05:46 AM

"Bill" > wrote in message
> this is how high you want to fill the pot with
> oil...otherwise you may cause the oil to run over the sides of the pot
> when you drop the turkey in to cook.

The operative word being "drop" and the oil being 375 degrees, well, I never
feel silly for not wanting to try this.

cheers and happy T-day.

rox

rmg 08-11-2004 05:46 AM

rmg 08-11-2004 05:46 AM

ok2bwild 08-11-2004 03:15 PM

"rmg" > wrote in message
om...

> "Bill" > wrote in message
>> this is how high you want to fill the pot with
>> oil...otherwise you may cause the oil to run over the sides of the pot
>> when you drop the turkey in to cook.

> The operative word being "drop" and the oil being 375 degrees, well, I
> never feel silly for not wanting to try this.

speaking of oil, how is the oil disposed of after the whole process is
over? ....

A Ross 08-11-2004 04:32 PM

In article >, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> Dave Smith > wrote in
> :
>
> > I would want to make sure that there was enough power in the thing to
> > maintain a good hot temperature for something with enough fat in it to
> > do a turkey, plus the turkey. I just can't see a plug in device doing
> > that. I will leave deep fried turkey to someone who is brave enough to
> > do it. I have had enough hot fat burns in my life and known people who
> > have had fat fires. I will stick to the oven for doing my turkey :-)

> My sentiments as well. I'm afraid of the propane contraptions and heavy
> pots
> on poorly balanced on a frame. Even with the electric unit there
> sufficient
> hot fat to produce severe burns if anything went wrong.

I prefer to brine the turkey and cook it on a spit in the pig
roaster--much safer, and the taste is out of this world.

Amy

Doug Cutler 08-11-2004 06:44 PM

Turkey frying is so common around here that the county dump centers have
recycling "tanks" for it.
Doug

Pan Ohco 08-11-2004 07:59 PM

:

>> I would want to make sure that there was enough power in the thing to
>> maintain a good hot temperature for something with enough fat in it to
>> do a turkey, plus the turkey. I just can't see a plug in device doing
>> that. I will leave deep fried turkey to someone who is brave enough to
>> do it. I have had enough hot fat burns in my life and known people who
>> have had fat fires. I will stick to the oven for doing my turkey :-)

>My sentiments as well. I'm afraid of the propane contraptions and heavy pots
>on poorly balanced on a frame. Even with the electric unit there sufficient
>hot fat to produce severe burns if anything went wrong.

It's really not that hard nor dangerous. Just do it away from
burnable objects and away from people.
And be careful.
I've done it a number of times, and had no problems.
Pan Ohco

Petey the Wonder Dog 09-11-2004 01:54 AM

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:

>For years I've read about deep frying whole turkeys, especially around the
>holidays, and seen various propane contraptions with the burners, stands, and
>pots, none of which seemed safe enough to handle when filled with gallons of
>oil and a heavy turkey.

I tried fried turkey for the first time last year and hated it.

A friend has one he enjoys and offered to fry my turkey and a fw other
friends'. It was quick, prolly about 45 minutes to an hour, IIRC.

It tasted more like fried chicken than turkey, so I'm glad I didn't buy
one.

I imagine there is an AWFUL lot of oil being dumped in the wrong places
after the meal is done...

Bill 09-11-2004 02:14 AM

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 08:15:40 -0600, "ok2bwild"
> wrote:

>"rmg" > wrote in message
. com...

>> "Bill" > wrote in message
>>> this is how high you want to fill the pot with
>>> oil...otherwise you may cause the oil to run over the sides of the pot
>>> when you drop the turkey in to cook.

>> The operative word being "drop" and the oil being 375 degrees, well, I
>> never feel silly for not wanting to try this.

>speaking of oil, how is the oil disposed of after the whole process is
>over? ....

you let the oil cool off completely for six hours...then you lift up
the pot...put a funnel and filter screen over the opening to the oil
container that the oil came in...and filter the particles out of the
oil while you pour it back into the container. I think you can use the
oil two or three times for frying before it starts getting smelly and
rancid and you wouldn't want to cook with it anymore.

Bill

Kswck 09-11-2004 08:40 PM

"ok2bwild" > wrote in message

> "rmg" > wrote in message
> om...
>>
>> "Bill" > wrote in message
>>> this is how high you want to fill the pot with
>>> oil...otherwise you may cause the oil to run over the sides of the pot
>>> when you drop the turkey in to cook.

>> The operative word being "drop" and the oil being 375 degrees, well, I
>> never feel silly for not wanting to try this.

> speaking of oil, how is the oil disposed of after the whole process is
> over? ....

It can be placed out with the regular trash. It is not a 'toxic' oil like
motor oil-being a vegetable (peanut, corn, canola, etc), I should think that
aside from attracting the local vermin in the land fill, is probably very
good for the soil.

Kswck 09-11-2004 08:40 PM