Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mother-in-Law recipe for Oxtail Soup

Oxtail Soup
from Eloise
Wash one or two packages of oxtails. Cover with water generously, add
about 1 teaspoon salt per pound. Cook along with chopped onion,
chopped celery leaves and celery, one can tomatoes until tender. This
will take about three hours. About one hour before you plan to eat
add chopped carrots about two or three, then cubed potatoes, and just
as you are about to serve the soup add package of frozen corn and a
generous handful of parsley. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
It is so important not to cook all the vegetables for the whole length
of time. The meat could even cook longer than three hours - it takes
a long time. Eloise

I was a new bride at the time I received this recipe. I was able to
figure out proportions and I am sure you will too. When available,
use fresh corn. Never use dried parsley.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2014 1:20 PM, wrote:
> Completely skim off the solidified fat,

...and feed it to Marty.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2014 3:09 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> Oxtail Soup
> from Eloise
> Wash one or two packages of oxtails. Cover with water generously, add
> about 1 teaspoon salt per pound. Cook along with chopped onion,
> chopped celery leaves and celery, one can tomatoes until tender. This
> will take about three hours. About one hour before you plan to eat
> add chopped carrots about two or three, then cubed potatoes, and just
> as you are about to serve the soup add package of frozen corn and a
> generous handful of parsley. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
> It is so important not to cook all the vegetables for the whole length
> of time. The meat could even cook longer than three hours - it takes
> a long time. Eloise
>
> I was a new bride at the time I received this recipe. I was able to
> figure out proportions and I am sure you will too. When available,
> use fresh corn. Never use dried parsley.
> Janet US

Thanks for sharing this! I haven't tried adding tomatoes but I might
next time around.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-01-11 4:23 PM, wrote:

>>> Leaving overnight is the main thing, I find it too greasy if not. Try
>>> the pearl barley, it's great with it. Basically it becomes Scotch
>>> Broth.
>>>

>> One think my wife taught be about braising beef is that it will always
>> taste better the next day. I occasionally make scotch broth with lamb
>> bones and I have made beef and barley soup. I am never sure how much
>> barely to add. I love the stuff, but I am sure than it breeds while
>> cooking. There is always about four times more than I expect.

> You're correct, should be lamb for scotch broth but the pearl barley
> is in both. I just tip some pearl barley in, pretty much a moveable
> feast, I can't be bothered measuring too much. It doesn't so much
> breed as put on a lot of weight

Sorry, didn't mean to come across as confused. When I have lamb bones I
use them to make a broth and I add barley to that. I also to beef and
barley.

It seems that no matter how little barley I use it is always way more.
you can't really have too much barley but it does need a lot of strong
broth not to get wussed up into the barley, which already has it's own
good taste.

My wife used to occasionally cook a barley pilaf, starting off by
sauteing some onion, mushroom and barley, then the beef broth and into
the oven with a top on. We should have it more often.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 17:50:30 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 1/11/2014 3:09 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>
>> Oxtail Soup
>> from Eloise
>> Wash one or two packages of oxtails. Cover with water generously, add
>> about 1 teaspoon salt per pound. Cook along with chopped onion,
>> chopped celery leaves and celery, one can tomatoes until tender. This
>> will take about three hours. About one hour before you plan to eat
>> add chopped carrots about two or three, then cubed potatoes, and just
>> as you are about to serve the soup add package of frozen corn and a
>> generous handful of parsley. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
>> It is so important not to cook all the vegetables for the whole length
>> of time. The meat could even cook longer than three hours - it takes
>> a long time. Eloise
>>
>> I was a new bride at the time I received this recipe. I was able to
>> figure out proportions and I am sure you will too. When available,
>> use fresh corn. Never use dried parsley.
>> Janet US
>>

>Thanks for sharing this! I haven't tried adding tomatoes but I might
>next time around.
>
>Jill

You are very welcome. The oxtails, tomatoes, onion and celery make a
wonderful kitchen aroma for the wintertime. I liked the thread that
you started.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2014 7:21 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 17:50:30 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 1/11/2014 3:09 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>>
>>> Oxtail Soup
>>> from Eloise
>>> Wash one or two packages of oxtails. Cover with water generously, add
>>> about 1 teaspoon salt per pound. Cook along with chopped onion,
>>> chopped celery leaves and celery, one can tomatoes until tender. This
>>> will take about three hours. About one hour before you plan to eat
>>> add chopped carrots about two or three, then cubed potatoes, and just
>>> as you are about to serve the soup add package of frozen corn and a
>>> generous handful of parsley. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
>>> It is so important not to cook all the vegetables for the whole length
>>> of time. The meat could even cook longer than three hours - it takes
>>> a long time. Eloise
>>>
>>> I was a new bride at the time I received this recipe. I was able to
>>> figure out proportions and I am sure you will too. When available,
>>> use fresh corn. Never use dried parsley.
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> Thanks for sharing this! I haven't tried adding tomatoes but I might
>> next time around.
>>
>> Jill

> You are very welcome. The oxtails, tomatoes, onion and celery make a
> wonderful kitchen aroma for the wintertime. I liked the thread that
> you started.
> Janet US

Thanks! I'm trying to draw focus away from troll chatter and back to
actual food and cooking stuff.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

> Oxtail Soup
> from Eloise
> Wash one or two packages of oxtails. Cover with water generously, add
> about 1 teaspoon salt per pound. Cook along with chopped onion,
> chopped celery leaves and celery, one can tomatoes until tender. This
> will take about three hours. About one hour before you plan to eat
> add chopped carrots about two or three, then cubed potatoes, and just
> as you are about to serve the soup add package of frozen corn and a
> generous handful of parsley. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
> It is so important not to cook all the vegetables for the whole length
> of time. The meat could even cook longer than three hours - it takes
> a long time. Eloise

substitute peas for the corn. And you forgot the bay leaf and porcinis.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 19:44:03 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 1/11/2014 7:21 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 17:50:30 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> Thanks for sharing this! I haven't tried adding tomatoes but I might
>>> next time around.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> You are very welcome. The oxtails, tomatoes, onion and celery make a
>> wonderful kitchen aroma for the wintertime. I liked the thread that
>> you started.
>> Janet US
>>

>Thanks! I'm trying to draw focus away from troll chatter and back to
>actual food and cooking stuff.
>
>Jill

I try too. I'm close to quitting
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 19:32:14 -0800, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:

>"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Oxtail Soup
>> from Eloise
>> Wash one or two packages of oxtails. Cover with water generously, add
>> about 1 teaspoon salt per pound. Cook along with chopped onion,
>> chopped celery leaves and celery, one can tomatoes until tender. This
>> will take about three hours. About one hour before you plan to eat
>> add chopped carrots about two or three, then cubed potatoes, and just
>> as you are about to serve the soup add package of frozen corn and a
>> generous handful of parsley. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
>> It is so important not to cook all the vegetables for the whole length
>> of time. The meat could even cook longer than three hours - it takes
>> a long time. Eloise

>substitute peas for the corn. And you forgot the bay leaf and porcinis.

That's what so great about a thread like this. You get to see all the
variations that are in use. Thanks for the tips.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 16:20:41 -0400, lucretiaborgia wrote:

> I use it as a stew and leftovers become soup - but I do it completely
> differently, brown meat and onions, put in pot with carrots. An absolute
> must is pearl barley and a couple of bay leaves. Long cooking in oven
> until tender. Cool and place in 'fridge until next day.
>
> Completely skim off the solidified fat, heat and serve.

I also brown the meat and onions when making stew - never thought of
adding pearl barley; dunno why it never occurred to me before, thanks.

And yeah, I never eat oxtail stew the same day - goes in the fridge
overnight because skimming off all the fat is important, IMHO, otherwise
it's just too 'greasy' to enjoy.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Janet Bostwick > wrote:

> Oxtail Soup
> from Eloise
> Wash one or two packages of oxtails. Cover with water generously, add
> about 1 teaspoon salt per pound. Cook along with chopped onion,
> chopped celery leaves and celery, one can tomatoes until tender. This
> will take about three hours. About one hour before you plan to eat
> add chopped carrots about two or three, then cubed potatoes, and just
> as you are about to serve the soup add package of frozen corn and a
> generous handful of parsley. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
> It is so important not to cook all the vegetables for the whole length
> of time. The meat could even cook longer than three hours - it takes
> a long time. Eloise
>
> I was a new bride at the time I received this recipe. I was able to
> figure out proportions and I am sure you will too. When available,
> use fresh corn. Never use dried parsley.
> Janet US

This is when I especially love my pressure cooker. The soup sounds
terrific, Janet. Thanks.
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 20:15:24 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>
>> Oxtail Soup
>> from Eloise
>> Wash one or two packages of oxtails. Cover with water generously, add
>> about 1 teaspoon salt per pound. Cook along with chopped onion,
>> chopped celery leaves and celery, one can tomatoes until tender. This
>> will take about three hours. About one hour before you plan to eat
>> add chopped carrots about two or three, then cubed potatoes, and just
>> as you are about to serve the soup add package of frozen corn and a
>> generous handful of parsley. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
>> It is so important not to cook all the vegetables for the whole length
>> of time. The meat could even cook longer than three hours - it takes
>> a long time. Eloise
>>
>> I was a new bride at the time I received this recipe. I was able to
>> figure out proportions and I am sure you will too. When available,
>> use fresh corn. Never use dried parsley.
>> Janet US

>This is when I especially love my pressure cooker. The soup sounds
>terrific, Janet. Thanks.

You're welcome, Barb. I love my pressure cooker too.
Janet US

I am seeking a recipe for oxtail soup using a slow cooker Justin Thyme General Cooking 14 18-11-2015 10:11 PM
Basic Recipe: Oxtail Soup jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 1 11-01-2014 12:18 PM
Oxtail Soup Recipe lilchuff11 Recipes 1 19-12-2011 07:29 AM
Jamaican Oxtail Soup Recipe Rocky General Cooking 0 01-04-2007 06:02 AM
Oxtail Soup Recipe jmcquown General Cooking 10 28-08-2006 05:10 PM