Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How many restaurants serve frozen food?

I realize that most chains do. And if you get a burger and fries at a
Mexican place, they most likely will be. I also think that most places that
serve fries or even hash browns are going to serve frozen ones. And not all
frozen potatoes are bad. But given the yucky, faux Tater Tots that I bought
last week, I know that they can be.

What shocks me though is watching Restaurant Impossible week after week and
seeing just how common the frozen food is.

I also know of some people I used to work with who thought they could start
their own catering company. They merely went to a restaurant supply place,
bought frozen food and reheated it. They did make baked potatoes although
they were baked in foil and not even the whole potato. They surmised that
people would only eat half anyway. I take exception to the foil thing.
Yeah, my mom made them that way but I think it steams the potato more than
bakes. But other than those potatoes, they really made nothing. There was
salad. And this was in the days before you could buy bagged salad at the
store. But I'll bet the restaurant supply place had it. They also cut
oranges in half, put them on small plates then stuck toothpicks into them
that held cheese cubes. They probably bought them pre-cubed. I can't even
remember what all they served, but we were not impressed.

How hard is it to make real food? Sure, I buy frozen stuff now and again.
But mostly I prefer to make my own. And if I'm going out to eat, I sure as
heck don't want want to eat it!

I have also found that a lot of the people I talk to who recommend chain
places to me do not know that they are eating frozen food. They even act
shocked if I point out to them that the food *is* frozen and they don't
believe me.

So... What percentage of restaurants (aside from chains) do you think are
serving us frozen foods?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote:

>So... What percentage of restaurants (aside from chains) do you think are
>serving us frozen foods?

Nowadays, most.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 02/01/2014 13:10, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> "Julie Bove" wrote:

>> So... What percentage of restaurants (aside from chains) do you think are
>> serving us frozen foods?

> Nowadays, most.

I think you need to find some better restaurants.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" wrote:
>>
>>So... What percentage of restaurants (aside from chains) do you think are
>>serving us frozen foods?

> Nowadays, most.

That's truly sad. We tend to dine at only a handful of places. One does
use some frozen food but they also make a lot of things from scratch and
they don't use bagged salads. Their salad will vary a bit each time and you
never know for sure what you might get in it. They do use Julienned
radishes and I was told that those come like that from the restaurant supply
place. They are best known for their pancakes and they have a wider variety
available than any place else that I know of. They also make out of this
world Crepes Suzette.

One place that my mom likes, does serve probably mostly frozen food. They
even list Tater Tots on the menu but I have a feeling they're not really
that brand because they just don't taste very good. I do think they make
their own pies though. And you can get raw veggies on the kid's menu.
Alas, none of us are young enough to get those now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> "Julie Bove" wrote:
> >
> >So... What percentage of restaurants (aside from chains) do you think are
> >serving us frozen foods?

> Nowadays, most.

There are a few left that never serve anything frozen. One I used to
frequent (Tapas, W. Hartford, CT) before moving even boasted of their
decades in business without a freezer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-01-02 8:27 AM, White Spirit wrote:
> On 02/01/2014 13:10, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> "Julie Bove" wrote:

>>> So... What percentage of restaurants (aside from chains) do you
>>> think are
>>> serving us frozen foods?

>> Nowadays, most.

> I think you need to find some better restaurants.

I would agree with Sheldon on that one.... most. go with the numbers
not with the quality. All those fast food joints like McDonalds.
Wendy's, Burger King, the franchised restaurants and the greasy spoon
diners.... their primary kitchen appliances are their freezers and deep
fryers. The burgers, fries, onion rings, breaded fish and chicken....
it all comes in preprocessed and ready to slapped on a flat top or onto
a deep fryer. Yep.... the answer is most.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 2, 2014 9:26:07 AM UTC-5, Pete C. wrote:
> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>

> > "Julie Bove" wrote:

> > >So... What percentage of restaurants (aside from chains) do you think are

> > >serving us frozen foods?

> > Nowadays, most.

> There are a few left that never serve anything frozen. One I used to
>
> frequent (Tapas, W. Hartford, CT) before moving even boasted of their
>
> decades in business without a freezer.

My waitress yesterday made a point of telling me that the mashed potatoes were done in house. Is that how bad off the resto industry has become? Yes, they were done there - I could tell by the lumps left in. This was a small independent resto, and the bill reflected it. Yikes.

The chains I am sure use Sysco type stuff almost exclusively. When you hire a bunch of young ppl to run the kitchen, you sure ain't gonna get CTI graduates. Those folks are running their own restos, I bet, and scorn the chains for employment.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 2, 2014 9:19:07 AM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:

> I would agree with Sheldon on that one.... most. go with the numbers
>
> not with the quality. All those fast food joints like McDonalds.
>
> Wendy's, Burger King, the franchised restaurants and the greasy spoon
>
> diners.... their primary kitchen appliances are their freezers and deep
>
> fryers. The burgers, fries, onion rings, breaded fish and chicken....
>
> it all comes in preprocessed and ready to slapped on a flat top or onto
>
> a deep fryer. Yep.... the answer is most.

Wendy's uses raw, never-frozen ground beef for their burgers. The other two
use raw, frozen patties. Some of the sit down restaurants use pre-cooked,
and just re-heat in a microwave or a grill. I'll take BK over O'Charley's
any day of the week.

AND, what's wrong with a deep fryer? If good oil is used, deep fried is
far more appealing than most of the stuff people describe on this NG, and
an order of McDonald's fries will keep you feeling fed for longer than a
calorically equivalent amount of dry baked potato--a lot longer.

Deep fried fish and chicken are sublime.

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 02/01/2014 15:19, Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2014-01-02 8:27 AM, White Spirit wrote:

>>> Nowadays, most.

>> I think you need to find some better restaurants.

> I would agree with Sheldon on that one.... most. go with the numbers
> not with the quality. All those fast food joints like McDonalds.
> Wendy's, Burger King, the franchised restaurants and the greasy spoon
> diners.... their primary kitchen appliances are their freezers and deep
> fryers. The burgers, fries, onion rings, breaded fish and chicken....
> it all comes in preprocessed and ready to slapped on a flat top or onto
> a deep fryer. Yep.... the answer is most.

I don't count fast food places as restaurants. At a restaurant, I
expect to pay after I've eaten.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-01-02 11:00 AM, White Spirit wrote:
> On 02/01/2014 15:19, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> I think you need to find some better restaurants.

>> I would agree with Sheldon on that one.... most. go with the numbers
>> not with the quality. All those fast food joints like McDonalds.
>> Wendy's, Burger King, the franchised restaurants and the greasy spoon
>> diners.... their primary kitchen appliances are their freezers and deep
>> fryers. The burgers, fries, onion rings, breaded fish and chicken....
>> it all comes in preprocessed and ready to slapped on a flat top or onto
>> a deep fryer. Yep.... the answer is most.

> I don't count fast food places as restaurants. At a restaurant, I
> expect to pay after I've eaten.

Maybe you should check out the definition of restaurant. Perhaps for the
sake of your argument you can rule out all the restaurants that use
frozen foods. FWIW, I don't got to those franchised burger and fries
joints, but I would say that the stuff they sell their customers is
food, so they are restaurants.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 02/01/2014 16:20, Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2014-01-02 11:00 AM, White Spirit wrote:

>> I don't count fast food places as restaurants. At a restaurant, I
>> expect to pay after I've eaten.

> Maybe you should check out the definition of restaurant.

I'm glad you brought that up because inventing definitions seems to be
the thing to do on rfc. Adjectives suddenly become nouns, apperitifs
that have been around for more than two hundred years are suddenly
redefined to suit subsequent loopholes that have been noticed in law and
goods from rival manufacturers can be described as fake.

One can hardly blame me for trying to fit in.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 2, 2014 3:27:29 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

> I also know of some people I used to work with who thought they could start
>
> their own catering company. They merely went to a restaurant supply place,
>
> bought frozen food and reheated it.

Where the Hell do you find all of these complete wastes of oxygen? I've never
met a single person like that, or so many of the other ways people in your
world are.

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 02 Jan 2014 10:19:07 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2014-01-02 8:27 AM, White Spirit wrote:

>>> Nowadays, most.

>> I think you need to find some better restaurants.
>>

>I would agree with Sheldon on that one.... most. go with the numbers
>not with the quality. All those fast food joints like McDonalds.
>Wendy's, Burger King, the franchised restaurants and the greasy spoon
>diners.... their primary kitchen appliances are their freezers and deep
>fryers. The burgers, fries, onion rings, breaded fish and chicken....
>it all comes in preprocessed and ready to slapped on a flat top or onto
>a deep fryer. Yep.... the answer is most.

Even fancy schmancy eateries are more and more serving pre prepared
frozen foods, especially entrees. Today most steak houses buy frozen
steak at bulk prices and thaw as needed. Last year I went out to eat
at an expensive restaurant and ordered crab stuffed flounder, I had to
send it back as it was still frozen inside. There's a huge wholesale
distributer nearby that supplies restaurants, they sell wholesale and
retail, they sell every frozen food imaginable. Restaurant cooks
don't need to know how to cook anymore. There are places like this
all over:
http://www.ginsbergs.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-01-02, White Spirit > wrote:

>> I would agree with Sheldon on that one.... most.

Agree. Specially chains.

OTOH, with the recent upswing in real foods and cooking, even smaller
restos are sticking with authentic. The last resto I worked at,
though not particularly large and leaning heavily on Asian/pasta
fusion skillet dishes, did everything from scratch, including
marinades/dressings. The only item I saw that was prepared food was
Mae Ploy Red Curry paste. Plus, they had the best aged rib-eyes, cut
from roast, I've ever tasted, it being their lone steak offering.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/1/2014 11:27 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> So... What percentage of restaurants (aside from chains) do you think
> are serving us frozen foods?

My guess is lots. Previously frozen foods or spoiled food or food
poisoning. Pick your favorite out of the three. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 2 Jan 2014 01:27:29 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> I realize that most chains do. And if you get a burger and fries at a
> Mexican place, they most likely will be. I also think that most places that
> serve fries or even hash browns are going to serve frozen ones. And not all
> frozen potatoes are bad. But given the yucky, faux Tater Tots that I bought
> last week, I know that they can be.
>
> What shocks me though is watching Restaurant Impossible week after week and
> seeing just how common the frozen food is.

<snip>

> How hard is it to make real food?

If you watch Restaurant Impossible, you know how he gives them recipes
simple, easy recipes made with fresh ingredients. Sometimes they need
a new piece of equipment to do it properly - but most of the shows
don't require anything other than a menu revamp and an owner to is
committed to doing it right... unlike that Pirate bar person who lived
in her parents basement. Talk about taking a new and definitely
improved concept that the entire staff was able to execute properly
and just throwing it away. Sheesh.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/2/2014 2:04 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Jan 2014 01:27:29 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> I realize that most chains do. And if you get a burger and fries at a
>> Mexican place, they most likely will be.

I'd like to know why would anyone order a burger and fries at a Mexican
place. LOL

>> What shocks me though is watching Restaurant Impossible week after week and
>> seeing just how common the frozen food is.

> <snip>
>
>> How hard is it to make real food?

You tell us, Julie. No one in your household seems to like anything you
cook. I have no idea why you haven't kicked them into the kitchen and
said, "If you want to eat, make it yourself".

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 2, 2014 1:39:41 PM UTC-6, jmcquown wrote:
> On 1/2/2014 2:04 PM, sf wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2 Jan 2014 01:27:29 -0800, "Julie Bove"

> > > wrote:

> >> I realize that most chains do. And if you get a burger and fries at a

> >> Mexican place, they most likely will be.

> I'd like to know why would anyone order a burger and fries at a Mexican
>
> place. LOL

It's because some folks are there with a group, and they are the odd person
who doesn't like Mexican cooking.

> >> What shocks me though is watching Restaurant Impossible week after week and

> >> seeing just how common the frozen food is.

> >> How hard is it to make real food?

> You tell us, Julie. No one in your household seems to like anything you
>
> cook. I have no idea why you haven't kicked them into the kitchen and
>
> said, "If you want to eat, make it yourself".

Then she couldn't complain about them.

> Jill

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 2 Jan 2014 12:27:36 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

> It's because some folks are there with a group, and they are the odd person
> who doesn't like Mexican cooking.

I was thinking along the lines of picky kids that don't want to eat
Mexican food, but parents who do - so there's something for everyone.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> So... What percentage of restaurants (aside from chains) do you think are
> serving us frozen foods?

Frozen quickly and properly, there's actually nothing wrong with
reheated frozen food. Ever had king crab legs?

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/2/2014 2:04 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Thu, 2 Jan 2014 01:27:29 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I realize that most chains do. And if you get a burger and fries at a
>>> Mexican place, they most likely will be.

> I'd like to know why would anyone order a burger and fries at a Mexican
> place. LOL
>
>>> What shocks me though is watching Restaurant Impossible week after week
>>> and
>>> seeing just how common the frozen food is.

>> <snip>
>>
>>> How hard is it to make real food?

> You tell us, Julie. No one in your household seems to like anything you
> cook. I have no idea why you haven't kicked them into the kitchen and
> said, "If you want to eat, make it yourself".

Whatever they are she loves them

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message

> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> "Julie Bove" wrote:
>> >
>> >So... What percentage of restaurants (aside from chains) do you think
>> >are
>> >serving us frozen foods?

>> Nowadays, most.

> There are a few left that never serve anything frozen. One I used to
> frequent (Tapas, W. Hartford, CT) before moving even boasted of their
> decades in business without a freezer.

Nice!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2014-01-02 8:27 AM, White Spirit wrote:

>>> Nowadays, most.

>> I think you need to find some better restaurants.
>>

> I would agree with Sheldon on that one.... most. go with the numbers not
> with the quality. All those fast food joints like McDonalds. Wendy's,
> Burger King, the franchised restaurants and the greasy spoon diners....
> their primary kitchen appliances are their freezers and deep fryers. The
> burgers, fries, onion rings, breaded fish and chicken.... it all comes in
> preprocessed and ready to slapped on a flat top or onto a deep fryer.
> Yep.... the answer is most.

Sad.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2014-01-02, White Spirit > wrote:
>
>>> I would agree with Sheldon on that one.... most.

> Agree. Specially chains.
>
> OTOH, with the recent upswing in real foods and cooking, even smaller
> restos are sticking with authentic. The last resto I worked at,
> though not particularly large and leaning heavily on Asian/pasta
> fusion skillet dishes, did everything from scratch, including
> marinades/dressings. The only item I saw that was prepared food was
> Mae Ploy Red Curry paste. Plus, they had the best aged rib-eyes, cut
> from roast, I've ever tasted, it being their lone steak offering.
>
> nb

Nice!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 02 Jan 2014 10:19:07 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>>> I think you need to find some better restaurants.
>>>

>>I would agree with Sheldon on that one.... most. go with the numbers
>>not with the quality. All those fast food joints like McDonalds.
>>Wendy's, Burger King, the franchised restaurants and the greasy spoon
>>diners.... their primary kitchen appliances are their freezers and deep
>>fryers. The burgers, fries, onion rings, breaded fish and chicken....
>>it all comes in preprocessed and ready to slapped on a flat top or onto
>>a deep fryer. Yep.... the answer is most.

> Even fancy schmancy eateries are more and more serving pre prepared
> frozen foods, especially entrees. Today most steak houses buy frozen
> steak at bulk prices and thaw as needed. Last year I went out to eat
> at an expensive restaurant and ordered crab stuffed flounder, I had to
> send it back as it was still frozen inside. There's a huge wholesale
> distributer nearby that supplies restaurants, they sell wholesale and
> retail, they sell every frozen food imaginable. Restaurant cooks
> don't need to know how to cook anymore. There are places like this
> all over:
> http://www.ginsbergs.com/

That's very sad.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan-TGWWW" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, January 2, 2014 3:27:29 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>> I also know of some people I used to work with who thought they could
>> start
>>
>> their own catering company. They merely went to a restaurant supply
>> place,
>>
>> bought frozen food and reheated it.

> Where the Hell do you find all of these complete wastes of oxygen? I've
> never
> met a single person like that, or so many of the other ways people in your
> world are.

They were ex coworkers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 1/1/2014 11:27 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> So... What percentage of restaurants (aside from chains) do you think
>> are serving us frozen foods?

> My guess is lots. Previously frozen foods or spoiled food or food
> poisoning. Pick your favorite out of the three. :-)

Ew.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 2 Jan 2014 01:27:29 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> I realize that most chains do. And if you get a burger and fries at a
>> Mexican place, they most likely will be. I also think that most places
>> that
>> serve fries or even hash browns are going to serve frozen ones. And not
>> all
>> frozen potatoes are bad. But given the yucky, faux Tater Tots that I
>> bought
>> last week, I know that they can be.
>>
>> What shocks me though is watching Restaurant Impossible week after week
>> and
>> seeing just how common the frozen food is.

> <snip>
>
>> How hard is it to make real food?

> If you watch Restaurant Impossible, you know how he gives them recipes
> simple, easy recipes made with fresh ingredients. Sometimes they need
> a new piece of equipment to do it properly - but most of the shows
> don't require anything other than a menu revamp and an owner to is
> committed to doing it right... unlike that Pirate bar person who lived
> in her parents basement. Talk about taking a new and definitely
> improved concept that the entire staff was able to execute properly
> and just throwing it away. Sheesh.

Who is the Pirate bar person?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/2/2014 2:04 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Thu, 2 Jan 2014 01:27:29 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I realize that most chains do. And if you get a burger and fries at a
>>> Mexican place, they most likely will be.

> I'd like to know why would anyone order a burger and fries at a Mexican
> place. LOL

I've seen a lot of kids order that or chicken nuggets. And a coworker from
the UK was frightened of Mexican food. She tried some once at a horribly
bad Mexican place. I tried and tried to tell her not to judge Mexican food
by that place. My mom and I had tried to eat there and the food was so bad
we just paid and walked off. Place closed about 2 months later. That
experience scarred her so badly she would never try any other Mexican food.
I know other people who didn't grow up eating it and are frightened to try
it, thinking it will be too hot. My one friend thought like this until she
went to Happy Hour and was served a free platter of things. She hesitantly
tried a bite and liked it. And it didn't stir up her GERD like she thought
it would. She does have to be careful what she orders though because onions
and peppers can be bad for her.

>>> What shocks me though is watching Restaurant Impossible week after week
>>> and
>>> seeing just how common the frozen food is.

>> <snip>
>>
>>> How hard is it to make real food?

> You tell us, Julie. No one in your household seems to like anything you
> cook. I have no idea why you haven't kicked them into the kitchen and
> said, "If you want to eat, make it yourself".

That's not true. They loved the garlic pasta. They love my stuffed
potatoes, roasted potatoes, pot roast (although Angela is vegetarian now, I
do the vegetable for her the same way but in vegetable broth), various
casseroles, chicken, steak (provided it is good meat to start with),
countless other things.

As for them making it themselves, they would never cook. Just no interest.
One just threatens to go out to eat but never does. The other, like me, is
capable of making a meal that doesn't require being cooked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 2 Jan 2014 12:27:36 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> > wrote:
>
>> It's because some folks are there with a group, and they are the odd
>> person
>> who doesn't like Mexican cooking.

> I was thinking along the lines of picky kids that don't want to eat
> Mexican food, but parents who do - so there's something for everyone.

Yes. I see that a lot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2014-01-02 15:19:07 +0000, Dave Smith said:

> On 2014-01-02 8:27 AM, White Spirit wrote:

>>> Nowadays, most.

>> I think you need to find some better restaurants.

> I would agree with Sheldon on that one.... most. go with the numbers
> not with the quality. All those fast food joints like McDonalds.
> Wendy's, Burger King, the franchised restaurants and the greasy spoon
> diners.... their primary kitchen appliances are their freezers and deep
> fryers. The burgers, fries, onion rings, breaded fish and chicken....
> it all comes in preprocessed and ready to slapped on a flat top or
> onto a deep fryer. Yep.... the answer is most.

Hmm. The logic here seems to say that most resturants are fast food
restaurants. That is likely true, whether they are chains or otherwise.
Nevertheless WS's comment seems to hold true: If you are eating at
"frozen food" restaurants, why would expect something different to be
there?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> So... What percentage of restaurants (aside from chains) do you think
>> are
>> serving us frozen foods?

> Frozen quickly and properly, there's actually nothing wrong with
> reheated frozen food. Ever had king crab legs?

No. I only ever had crab twice. Once was crab wontons. Let me just say
this was in the 70's and a copious amount of something had been smoked. My
friends sat there in horror as I single handledly downed the whole platter
and said to me, "But you hate crab!"

For me the main objection to the crab was eating it from the whole animal.
I can not bring myself to do that with any food. One of the worst meals of
my life was a crab feed at our church. I can't remember my age but I was a
kid. All around me, people were cracking crabs. I just sat there with my
eyes squeezed shut, trying not to listen. Trying not to cry. My parents
were not happy with me but seeing as how neither of them like crab either,
they didn't push the issue too much.

So that and the fact that I now know that I am intolerant to all seafood, I
would never try crab legs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2014-01-02 22:39:54 +0000, White Spirit said:

>> TRANSLATION: You looked up "restaurant" and discovered you were wrong so
>> you tried to shift the focus to complaining about your perceptions of RFC.

> On the contrary, I knew that someone would respond to that and give me
> the opening I needed because people on this group really are that
> predictable.

I KNEW you were gonna say that! ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2014-01-02 21:27:24 +0000, Gary said:

> Frozen quickly and properly, there's actually nothing wrong with
> reheated frozen food. Ever had king crab legs?

I think many such things are frozen, but are then cooked together with
fresh things by a chef that knows what s/he's doing and you get some
very tasty food.

Freezing certainly isn't the worst thing that can happen to food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-01-02 4:27 PM, Gary wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> So... What percentage of restaurants (aside from chains) do you think are
>> serving us frozen foods?

> Frozen quickly and properly, there's actually nothing wrong with
> reheated frozen food. Ever had king crab legs?

I may be going out on a limb here but, while King Crab legs are probably
all frozen, I would suggest that they make up a very, very small
percentage of the frozen foods in stores and on hand in restaurants.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 2 Jan 2014 15:33:48 -0800, gtr > wrote:

> Hmm. The logic here seems to say that most resturants are fast food
> restaurants. That is likely true, whether they are chains or otherwise.
> Nevertheless WS's comment seems to hold true: If you are eating at
> "frozen food" restaurants, why would expect something different to be
> there?

It's interesting to see that they are considered a "restaurant". Fast
food is not what comes to mind when I visualize that word. Would a
guy have a chance at a second date if his idea of fine dining is fast
food for a first date? I doubt it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/2/2014 1:24 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> Ew.

Frozen foods must have been recognized as revolutionary in the
transportation and handling of foods in the first part of the 20th
century. I don't know what the good alternatives to this method of food
preservation would be. My guess is that irradiation would be as good or
better than freezing. Otherwise, were can always depend on dried or
salted meats or canned meats. That's fine with me - we have it way too
easy food-wise and we take these things for granted.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 2 Jan 2014 15:40:35 -0800, gtr > wrote:

> Similarly when I say "let's meet at a restaurant" I don't know who in
> my world would say, "Which one? KFC or Burger King?" We call those
> fastfoodjoints, which since they serve food are technically a
> "restaurant". So is every taco stand.

Google says a Restaurant is "a place where people pay to sit and eat
meals that are cooked and served on the premises". It doesn't say
"prepared", it says "cooked"... so you can slap a frozen burger on a
grill can call it a restaurant. Reheating already prepared food
doesn't count in my book.

> Hell I guess a vending machine
> might be contorted into a restaurant, I use to eat "dinner" in front of
> one when I was a teen.

I don't think Google would support that premise.

> So it's wise to state more explicitly what you mean. It's also wise
> not to take a Bove/Yonkers2 topic and try to wring anything out of it
> but confusion.

Absolutely.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-01-02 6:43 PM, gtr wrote:
> On 2014-01-02 21:27:24 +0000, Gary said:
>
>> Frozen quickly and properly, there's actually nothing wrong with
>> reheated frozen food. Ever had king crab legs?

> I think many such things are frozen, but are then cooked together with
> fresh things by a chef that knows what s/he's doing and you get some
> very tasty food.
>
> Freezing certainly isn't the worst thing that can happen to food.

It is not just a matter of cooking with ingredients that have been
frozen as a means of preservation. There are all sorts of specialty
dishes that are all prepared and ready to be nuked or deep fried in
restaurants. Fish and chips, breaded shrimp, scallops, veal cutlets,
pork cutlets, chicken fingers, stuffed fish, burgers, meatballs,
lasagne. Most of the trucks delivering restaurant supplies are freezer
trucks delivering frozen food not fresh ingredients.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2014-01-03 00:09:12 +0000, sf said:

> On Thu, 2 Jan 2014 15:40:35 -0800, gtr > wrote:
>
>> Similarly when I say "let's meet at a restaurant" I don't know who in
>> my world would say, "Which one? KFC or Burger King?" We call those
>> fastfoodjoints, which since they serve food are technically a
>> "restaurant". So is every taco stand.

> Google says a Restaurant is "a place where people pay to sit and eat
> meals that are cooked and served on the premises". It doesn't say
> "prepared", it says "cooked"... so you can slap a frozen burger on a
> grill can call it a restaurant. Reheating already prepared food
> doesn't count in my book.

We may all have a slightly different book on this one.

>> Hell I guess a vending machine might be contorted into a restaurant, I
>> use to eat "dinner" in front of one when I was a teen.

> I don't think Google would support that premise.

Yeah, contortion doesn't seem to be part of their enterprise.