Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default FIGHTING humidity

Well. We have tornado warnings until noon tomorrow. Meanwhile, there are 5
cookie jars to fill for grandsons for Christmas. Did that ... but the
meringue/coconut/pecan cookies were just miserably sticky. When all the
other cookies were done, I put the sticky ones on a sheet and slipped it in
the cooling but still warm/dry oven. TaDAH! They seem to be dry and
non-sticky but I'll leave them in the oven til morning. I put a dishtowel
wrapped around the oven handle to remind me that there was something inside.
I tried a recipe for lemon/almond cookies. Dry, boring. Won't do that
one again - but when you're feeding wolves, it only hurts my pride. Next -
I really would like to bake chocolate and also lemon meringue pies. Tricky
with the humidity at nearly 80%. I see recipes for cooking meringue before
topping a pie. Anybody every tried that? Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 21, 2013 9:57:54 PM UTC-6, Polly Esther wrote:
> Well. We have tornado warnings until noon tomorrow. Meanwhile, there are 5
>
> cookie jars to fill for grandsons for Christmas. Did that ... but the
>
> meringue/coconut/pecan cookies were just miserably sticky. When all the
>
> other cookies were done, I put the sticky ones on a sheet and slipped it in
>
> the cooling but still warm/dry oven. TaDAH! They seem to be dry and
>
> non-sticky but I'll leave them in the oven til morning. I put a dishtowel
>
> wrapped around the oven handle to remind me that there was something inside.
>
> I tried a recipe for lemon/almond cookies. Dry, boring. Won't do that
>
> one again - but when you're feeding wolves, it only hurts my pride. Next -
>
> I really would like to bake chocolate and also lemon meringue pies. Tricky
>
> with the humidity at nearly 80%. I see recipes for cooking meringue before
>
> topping a pie. Anybody every tried that? Polly

Nope, never lived in Arkansas before.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Dec 2013 21:57:54 -0600, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

> Well. We have tornado warnings until noon tomorrow.

That totally sucks so late in the year!

<snip>

> I tried a recipe for lemon/almond cookies. Dry, boring.

You didn't provide any hints about the recipe, so I'm wondering if it
was anything like this one (which looks tasty to me)
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...d-cookies.html

> Won't do that
> one again - but when you're feeding wolves, it only hurts my pride. Next -
> I really would like to bake chocolate and also lemon meringue pies. Tricky
> with the humidity at nearly 80%. I see recipes for cooking meringue before
> topping a pie. Anybody every tried that? Polly

Sorry, I live in San Francisco (80% humidity doesn't seem to affect
things the way it would in Florida) so my meringue turns out right
most of the time - it did weep once (not badly) but I have no idea
why.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 21 Dec 2013 21:57:54 -0600, Polly Esther wrote:
>
>> Well. We have tornado warnings until noon tomorrow. Meanwhile, there
>> are 5
>> cookie jars to fill for grandsons for Christmas. Did that ... but the
>> meringue/coconut/pecan cookies were just miserably sticky. When all the
>> other cookies were done, I put the sticky ones on a sheet and slipped it
>> in
>> the cooling but still warm/dry oven. TaDAH! They seem to be dry and
>> non-sticky but I'll leave them in the oven til morning. I put a
>> dishtowel
>> wrapped around the oven handle to remind me that there was something
>> inside.
>> I tried a recipe for lemon/almond cookies. Dry, boring. Won't do
>> that
>> one again - but when you're feeding wolves, it only hurts my pride.
>> Next -
>> I really would like to bake chocolate and also lemon meringue pies.
>> Tricky
>> with the humidity at nearly 80%. I see recipes for cooking meringue
>> before
>> topping a pie. Anybody every tried that? Polly

> Unless you live in a cave, humidity should not be that much of a
> problem.
>
> -sw

Yes! That worked. Leaving the sticky cookies in the turned off oven was the
magic needed. Now I have a soggy Yorkie to dry. ( We had to go
walking/splashing of course.) Yogi says don't even think about putting him
in the oven. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Dec 2013 21:57:54 -0600, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

>Well. We have tornado warnings until noon tomorrow. Meanwhile, there are 5
>cookie jars to fill for grandsons for Christmas. Did that ... but the
>meringue/coconut/pecan cookies were just miserably sticky. When all the
>other cookies were done, I put the sticky ones on a sheet and slipped it in
>the cooling but still warm/dry oven. TaDAH! They seem to be dry and
>non-sticky but I'll leave them in the oven til morning. I put a dishtowel
>wrapped around the oven handle to remind me that there was something inside.
> I tried a recipe for lemon/almond cookies. Dry, boring. Won't do that
>one again - but when you're feeding wolves, it only hurts my pride. Next -
>I really would like to bake chocolate and also lemon meringue pies. Tricky
>with the humidity at nearly 80%. I see recipes for cooking meringue before
>topping a pie. Anybody every tried that? Polly

Dehumidifier... I'd rather first protect my health and home than my
cookies:
http://www.amazon.com/Frigidaire-FAD...+for+basements

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Polly Esther wrote:

> We have tornado warnings until noon tomorrow.

Presumably you mean a tornado watch. Watch is when conditions are
favorable for tornado development, but none have formed. Warning is when
tornados have been confirmed on the ground.

As for humidity, the simple solution is a dehumidifier. I hate humidity,
so in the two big bands between heating and cooling season here in N. TX
I always have the dehumidifier out to limit the humidity.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/22/2013 12:55 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Unless you live in a cave, humidity should not be that much of a
> problem.
>
> -sw

Is your refrigerator carton heated too?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message

> Polly Esther wrote:
>>
>> We have tornado warnings until noon tomorrow.

> Presumably you mean a tornado watch. Watch is when conditions are
> favorable for tornado development, but none have formed. Warning is when
> tornados have been confirmed on the ground.
>
> As for humidity, the simple solution is a dehumidifier. I hate humidity,
> so in the two big bands between heating and cooling season here in N. TX
> I always have the dehumidifier out to limit the humidity.

Thought you might enjoy the Rest of the Story. We had 5" of rain last night.
Took the Yorkie out for his after breakfast splash. Our predator resident
eagle went fishing, caught a big one. He dropped it when lightening flashed
through. Of course and naturally, the Yorkie wanted to go roll and wallow
on the dead fish. Ah me. Are we having fun yet? Polly

Humidity? Tim Smith Baking 5 10-05-2008 09:10 PM
Storage Humidity Fred[_2_] Wine 6 16-09-2007 12:50 AM
Humidity and sourdough [email protected] Sourdough 11 21-01-2007 02:24 PM
Humidity and sourdough PastorDIC Sourdough 0 15-01-2007 02:30 AM
TN: Heaven is low humidity DaleW Wine 3 21-08-2005 11:58 AM