Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What are you cooking?

Today I made Chicken Chasseur for lunch.

Chicken pieces floured and browned in oil and butter
Chopped onion and crushed garlic browned next
Mushrooms chopped and added and then
red wine, chicken stock and tomato puree along with thyme and seasoning.

Simmered for one hour! Served with steamed new potatoes with butter and the
remains of the green bean casserole from yesterday!

It was received very well by all)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> Brunch today is lasagna I made back on July 7th. I used the Barilla
> no-boil lasagna noodles and they suck - much too soft and thin.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...4762/lightbox/

it look jolly good though!!!

Tomorrow I will be making lasagne for the freezer.

I am trying a new recipe from Nigel Salter I saw on tv last week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/lasagne_95631

It makes everything from scratch which is what I really like)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/2/2013 10:12 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Brunch today is lasagna I made back on July 7th.

So freaking what?

Do we get to see it in the toilet later?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 2, 2013 10:58:10 AM UTC-7, Pearl F. Buck wrote:
> On 12/2/2013 10:12 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>
> > Brunch today is lasagna I made back on July 7th.

> So freaking what?
>

> Do we get to see it in the toilet later?

The before and after photos would look the same.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
> On Monday, December 2, 2013 10:58:10 AM UTC-7, Pearl F. Buck wrote:
>> On 12/2/2013 10:12 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> > Brunch today is lasagna I made back on July 7th.

>> So freaking what?
>>

>> Do we get to see it in the toilet later?

> The before and after photos would look the same.

I disagree! Let's see some pics of the food you have cooked.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 15:48:39 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> Today I made Chicken Chasseur for lunch.
>
> Chicken pieces floured and browned in oil and butter
> Chopped onion and crushed garlic browned next
> Mushrooms chopped and added and then
> red wine, chicken stock and tomato puree along with thyme and seasoning.
>
> Simmered for one hour! Served with steamed new potatoes with butter and the
> remains of the green bean casserole from yesterday!
>
> It was received very well by all)

No plans yet, but I need to go grocery shopping and usually am
inspired by something while I'm shopping... however, I've always
intended to make Chicken Chasseur, so maybe I'll focus on that for
today. Thanks for the idea!

I had a fall back that can be lunch as easily as dinner: "mungos" (a
mung beans stewed with smoked pork thingie) that I was thawing and
will add the kielbasa we thought was too salty to eat on its own to
it. Serve with rice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 17:27:21 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> > Brunch today is lasagna I made back on July 7th. I used the Barilla
> > no-boil lasagna noodles and they suck - much too soft and thin.
> >
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...4762/lightbox/

> it look jolly good though!!!

Barilla no-cook lasagna noodles ROCK! Try them yourself before you
draw a conclusion to the contrary.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 15:48:39 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>> Today I made Chicken Chasseur for lunch.
>>
>> Chicken pieces floured and browned in oil and butter
>> Chopped onion and crushed garlic browned next
>> Mushrooms chopped and added and then
>> red wine, chicken stock and tomato puree along with thyme and seasoning.
>>
>> Simmered for one hour! Served with steamed new potatoes with butter and
>> the
>> remains of the green bean casserole from yesterday!
>>
>> It was received very well by all)

> No plans yet, but I need to go grocery shopping and usually am
> inspired by something while I'm shopping... however, I've always
> intended to make Chicken Chasseur, so maybe I'll focus on that for
> today. Thanks for the idea!
>
> I had a fall back that can be lunch as easily as dinner: "mungos" (a
> mung beans stewed with smoked pork thingie) that I was thawing and
> will add the kielbasa we thought was too salty to eat on its own to
> it. Serve with rice.

I haven't decided what we are having tomorrow. I will be making that
lasagna sauce ... from that recipe I posted, so it will be something quick

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 17:27:21 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> > Brunch today is lasagna I made back on July 7th. I used the Barilla
>> > no-boil lasagna noodles and they suck - much too soft and thin.
>> >
>> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...4762/lightbox/

>> it look jolly good though!!!

> Barilla no-cook lasagna noodles ROCK! Try them yourself before you
> draw a conclusion to the contrary.

Who me? If it is me you are talking to I will be making pasta from scratch
tomorrow)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 20:31:50 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 17:27:21 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > > wrote:

> >> it look jolly good though!!!

> > Barilla no-cook lasagna noodles ROCK! Try them yourself before you
> > draw a conclusion to the contrary.

> Who me? If it is me you are talking to I will be making pasta from scratch
> tomorrow)

You, of course. To me, they are the same as fresh without all that
work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 2, 2013 10:48:39 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> Today I made Chicken Chasseur for lunch.

Ah, Chicken Chasseur. This is what Glenda Jackson makes for the broken tryst with George Segal at their love-nest in "That Touch of Class". I guess he was ready to dump her, no matter how good her cooking was. So much for the way-to-a-man's-heart theory. Stinker. He was married one, wasn't he?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 08:37:31 +1100, John J > wrote:

> On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 12:39:59 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 20:31:50 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

> >> Who me? If it is me you are talking to I will be making pasta from scratch
> >> tomorrow)

> >You, of course. To me, they are the same as fresh without all that
> >work.

> Supermarket mentality.

If you think your buddy sw makes his own lasagna noodles, you're wrong
because he takes every opportunity to toot his own horn. He prefers
retread thick to thin and that's as deep as it gets.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/2/2013 1:59 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 12:16:29 -0800, sf wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 17:27:21 -0000, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:

>>> it look jolly good though!!!

>> Barilla no-cook lasagna noodles ROCK! Try them yourself before you
>> draw a conclusion to the contrary.

> I knew I could set her off again by mentioning my opinion of the
> noodles. She went ballistic about those noodles back on July 8th,
> too.
>
> -sw

So, maybe they're that good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> On Monday, December 2, 2013 10:48:39 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
>> Today I made Chicken Chasseur for lunch.

> Ah, Chicken Chasseur. This is what Glenda Jackson makes for the broken
> tryst with George Segal at their love-nest in "That Touch of Class". I
> guess he was ready to dump her, no matter how good her cooking was. So
> much for the way-to-a-man's-heart theory. Stinker. He was married one,
> wasn't he?

LOL I have no idea)) Jings am I nearly famous???

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 20:31:50 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 17:27:21 -0000, "Ophelia"

>> > Barilla no-cook lasagna noodles ROCK! Try them yourself before you
>> > draw a conclusion to the contrary.

>> Who me? If it is me you are talking to I will be making pasta from
>> scratch
>> tomorrow)

> You, of course. To me, they are the same as fresh without all that
> work.

Well that's me I prefer to cook from scratch and put my own twist on
things to suit our preferences Besides which, I love to cook)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/2/2013 3:39 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 14:16:10 -0800, sf wrote:

>>> Supermarket mentality.

>> If you think your buddy sw makes his own lasagna noodles, you're wrong
>> because he takes every opportunity to toot his own horn. He prefers
>> retread thick to thin and that's as deep as it gets.

> <snork> I knew mentioning those noodles would press her button.
>
> -sw

Yer sweet on her, aren't you?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/2/2013 3:42 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 12:16:29 -0800, sf wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 17:27:21 -0000, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:

>>> it look jolly good though!!!

>> Barilla no-cook lasagna noodles ROCK! Try them yourself before you
>> draw a conclusion to the contrary.

> Notice she snipped the part where you said you'd be making your own
> noodles from scratch.
>
> -sw

Noticing how much you're into her...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 22:46:49 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 20:31:50 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > > wrote:

> >> Who me? If it is me you are talking to I will be making pasta from
> >> scratch
> >> tomorrow)

> > You, of course. To me, they are the same as fresh without all that
> > work.

> Well that's me I prefer to cook from scratch and put my own twist on
> things to suit our preferences Besides which, I love to cook)

Making noodles from scratch is the last thing I want to do. I have
all the equipment needed to supposedly accomplish it easily and still
avoid the process. I weaken every few years and remind myself why I
don't do it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 22:46:49 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 20:31:50 -0000, "Ophelia"

>> > You, of course. To me, they are the same as fresh without all that
>> > work.

>> Well that's me I prefer to cook from scratch and put my own twist on
>> things to suit our preferences Besides which, I love to cook)

> Making noodles from scratch is the last thing I want to do. I have
> all the equipment needed to supposedly accomplish it easily and still
> avoid the process. I weaken every few years and remind myself why I
> don't do it.

Well, that is you! Me? I just love to do stuff like that) Besides, it is
hardly hard work and the (small amount of) effort is worth it!

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-12-02 6:08 PM, sf wrote:

> Making noodles from scratch is the last thing I want to do. I have
> all the equipment needed to supposedly accomplish it easily and still
> avoid the process. I weaken every few years and remind myself why I
> don't do it.

Making noodles and pasta is one of those things that is a lot of work
and considerable expense. Having made them a few times I can appreciate
what a bargain store bought pasta is.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 23:14:43 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 22:46:49 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > > wrote:

> >> Well that's me I prefer to cook from scratch and put my own twist on
> >> things to suit our preferences Besides which, I love to cook)

> > Making noodles from scratch is the last thing I want to do. I have
> > all the equipment needed to supposedly accomplish it easily and still
> > avoid the process. I weaken every few years and remind myself why I
> > don't do it.

> Well, that is you! Me? I just love to do stuff like that) Besides, it is
> hardly hard work and the (small amount of) effort is worth it!

Please tell me your noodles are thin and not the fat tires stevareno
claims to like.

Experienced Member

Quote:
Chicken pieces floured and browned in oil and butter
Chopped onion and crushed garlic browned next
Mushrooms chopped and added and then
red wine, chicken stock and tomato puree along with thyme and seasoning.

Simmered for one hour! Served with steamed new potatoes with butter and the
remains of the green bean casserole from yesterday!

It was received very well by all)
Wow, Its sounds delicious. Nice preparation its tempting to have your recipe.
I Hope you are expert in this chicken recipes. Sure i gonna follow this and make fantastic today.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 23:14:43 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 22:46:49 -0000, "Ophelia"

>> > Making noodles from scratch is the last thing I want to do. I have
>> > all the equipment needed to supposedly accomplish it easily and still
>> > avoid the process. I weaken every few years and remind myself why I
>> > don't do it.

>> Well, that is you! Me? I just love to do stuff like that) Besides, it
>> is
>> hardly hard work and the (small amount of) effort is worth it!
>>

> Please tell me your noodles are thin and not the fat tires stevareno
> claims to like.

I make them exactly the right was to please us

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John J" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 18:45:57 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>>On 2013-12-02 6:08 PM, sf wrote:
>>
>>> Making noodles from scratch is the last thing I want to do. I have
>>> all the equipment needed to supposedly accomplish it easily and still
>>> avoid the process. I weaken every few years and remind myself why I
>>> don't do it.

>>Making noodles and pasta is one of those things that is a lot of work
>>and considerable expense. Having made them a few times I can appreciate
>>what a bargain store bought pasta is.

> Considerable expense? What do you use, biodynamic Bolivian mountain
> spelt?

lol I'm not sure where all the work comes in either, but then I am used to
making my own bread, although the breadmaker gets more use these days

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"clinicaltrials" > wrote in
message . ..

>> Chicken pieces floured and browned in oil and butter
>> Chopped onion and crushed garlic browned next
>> Mushrooms chopped and added and then
>> red wine, chicken stock and tomato puree along with thyme and
>> seasoning.
>>
>> Simmered for one hour! Served with steamed new potatoes with butter and
>> the
>> remains of the green bean casserole from yesterday!
>>
>> It was received very well by all)

> Wow, Its sounds delicious. Nice preparation its tempting to have your
> recipe.
> I Hope you are expert in this chicken recipes. Sure i gonna follow this
> and make fantastic today.

lol I doubt I am expert in much, except the foods we like)

If you want quantities just ask)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John J" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 3 Dec 2013 08:58:36 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"John J" > wrote in message
>>news
>>> On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 18:45:57 -0500, Dave Smith

>>> Considerable expense? What do you use, biodynamic Bolivian mountain
>>> spelt?

>>lol I'm not sure where all the work comes in either, but then I am used to
>>making my own bread, although the breadmaker gets more use these days

> Everything beats supermarket bread

Oh yes)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

clinicaltrials <foodbanana.com> wrote:

> Chicken pieces floured and browned in oil and butter
> Chopped onion and crushed garlic browned next
> Mushrooms chopped and added and then
> red wine, chicken stock and tomato puree along with thyme and
> seasoning.
>
> And the remains of the green bean casserole

Why chicken pieces and not left over turkey?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 23:16:09 +1100, John J > wrote:

>On Tue, 3 Dec 2013 08:58:36 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>

>>"John J" > wrote in message
>>news
>>> On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 18:45:57 -0500, Dave Smith

>>> Considerable expense? What do you use, biodynamic Bolivian mountain
>>> spelt?

>>lol I'm not sure where all the work comes in either, but then I am used to
>>making my own bread, although the breadmaker gets more use these days

>Everything beats supermarket bread

Don't you mean packaged bread? Many of the supermarkets here contain
a real bakery and several produce wonderful bread... the Price Chopper
in Glenmont, NY has a fantastic bakery. I'm glad it's a 20 mile drive
or I'd gain ten pounds a month.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> clinicaltrials <foodbanana.com> wrote:
>>
>> Chicken pieces floured and browned in oil and butter
>> Chopped onion and crushed garlic browned next
>> Mushrooms chopped and added and then
>> red wine, chicken stock and tomato puree along with thyme and
>> seasoning.
>>
>> And the remains of the green bean casserole

> Why chicken pieces and not left over turkey?

Was that meant for me? Because I like to make it with the raw meat.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/3/2013 9:18 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>> Chicken pieces floured and browned in oil and butter
>> Chopped onion and crushed garlic browned next
>> Mushrooms chopped and added and then
>> red wine, chicken stock and tomato puree along with thyme and
>> seasoning.
>>
>> And the remains of the green bean casserole

> Why chicken pieces and not left over turkey?

What makes you think she had leftover (or any) turkey?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 12/3/2013 9:18 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>>> Chicken pieces floured and browned in oil and butter
>>> Chopped onion and crushed garlic browned next
>>> Mushrooms chopped and added and then
>>> red wine, chicken stock and tomato puree along with thyme and
>>> seasoning.
>>>
>>> And the remains of the green bean casserole

>> Why chicken pieces and not left over turkey?
>>

> What makes you think she had leftover (or any) turkey?

What a very good point) I didn't as it happens but if I had, I wouldn't
use it in that dish

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

S Viemeister wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>>> Chicken pieces floured and browned in oil and butter
>>> Chopped onion and crushed garlic browned next
>>> Mushrooms chopped and added and then
>>> red wine, chicken stock and tomato puree along with thyme and
>>> seasoning.
>>>
>>> And the remains of the green bean casserole

>> Why chicken pieces and not left over turkey?
>>

>What makes you think she had leftover (or any) turkey?

It was just Thanksgiving, and the [left over] green bean casserole is
traditional too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> S Viemeister wrote:

>>> Why chicken pieces and not left over turkey?
>>>

>>What makes you think she had leftover (or any) turkey?

> It was just Thanksgiving, and the [left over] green bean casserole is
> traditional too.

But it isn't Thanksgiving here, and I only made the green bean casserole
because it had been talked about here)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John J" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 09:46:31 -0500, Brooklyn1
> > wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 23:16:09 +1100, John J > wrote:

>>>Everything beats supermarket bread

>>Don't you mean packaged bread? Many of the supermarkets here contain
>>a real bakery and several produce wonderful bread... the Price Chopper
>>in Glenmont, NY has a fantastic bakery. I'm glad it's a 20 mile drive
>>or I'd gain ten pounds a month.

> I agree that makes a big difference, but I still find it foamy
> compared to home made. At least in my supermarkets.

Oh heaven's yes! I realise everyone has their own preferences, but I have
made my own bread for so many years I can't imagine the looks I would get if
I served shop bread)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

lucretiaborgia wrote:

>>> Why chicken pieces and not left over turkey?
>>>

>>What makes you think she had leftover (or any) turkey?

>I'm Canadian so don't do Thanksgiving in November, ours is in October,
>so I don't have any left over turkey.

Could have had the left overs in your freezer... and I'm sure turkey
in Canada is just as inexpensive in November as in the US... turkey is
available inexpensively all year... lots of folks prepare turkey in
December too, for Christmas, and for New Years, and then for Easter.
etc., etc.... turkey really is not seasonal since most is frozen,
turkey is actually no more seasonal than chicken or cured ham. Now
fresh ham is seasonal, and a lot of markets don't even have fresh ham
on major holidays, if I want a fresh ham I always check with the store
a couple of weeks in advance and have to order one for New Years, and
even then have occasionally been disappointed as I've been told none
were on the truck... amazingly few people cook a fresh ham, they don't
know what they're missing, fresh ham is the king of roasts. If you
hadn't mentioned the left over green bean casserole I may not have
infered you mis-typed chicken for turkey... please accept my heart
felt apologies.
Btw, yoose two furiners deserve each other. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 3 Dec 2013 21:02:02 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"John J" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 09:46:31 -0500, Brooklyn1
>> > wrote:

>>>Don't you mean packaged bread? Many of the supermarkets here contain
>>>a real bakery and several produce wonderful bread... the Price Chopper
>>>in Glenmont, NY has a fantastic bakery. I'm glad it's a 20 mile drive
>>>or I'd gain ten pounds a month.

>> I agree that makes a big difference, but I still find it foamy
>> compared to home made. At least in my supermarkets.

>Oh heaven's yes! I realise everyone has their own preferences, but I have
>made my own bread for so many years I can't imagine the looks I would get if
>I served shop bread)

Plenty of neighborhood bakeries produce wonderful bread... they even
have much better ovens than at home... I only wish I could find a good
Dago or Jew bakery here like I could find on every street in Brooklyn.
What, there are no decent bakeries in Scotland? I don't think they
bake in Scotland, all yoose eat is sheep stomachs stuffed with
aliens... okay, yoose do got pretty good booze... and buxom lassies!
LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 23:14:43 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 22:46:49 -0000, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:

>>> Well that's me I prefer to cook from scratch and put my own twist on
>>> things to suit our preferences Besides which, I love to cook)

>> Making noodles from scratch is the last thing I want to do. I have
>> all the equipment needed to supposedly accomplish it easily and still
>> avoid the process. I weaken every few years and remind myself why I
>> don't do it.

>Well, that is you! Me? I just love to do stuff like that) Besides, it is
>hardly hard work and the (small amount of) effort is worth it!
>

>http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

I'm with you Ophelia, I enjoy making homemade pasta, not only the
process, but the superior results.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com