Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default sugar fruit glaze

I'm gonna make a blackberry pastry cream tart for T-day. The berries
are jes sweet enough, but a little sugar can't hurt. I was thinking a
simple sugar glaze, but gobbling for recipes reveals a lotta brn
sugar and pwdr sugar recipes. One was even a honey glaze, which may
not be a bad idea.

Thinking a bit more on it, I don't want a glaze that's gonna harden
into broken glass-like shards when eaten. I jes wanna add a bit more
sweet to the berries. OTOH, I can't even par-cook the berries, like
for a pie, cuz they are gonna end up on a layer of pastry cream.
Perhaps jes a dusting with baker's sugar (which I now use for all cane
sugar cooking)? Any other ideas?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> I'm gonna make a blackberry pastry cream tart for T-day. The berries
> are jes sweet enough, but a little sugar can't hurt. I was thinking a
> simple sugar glaze, but gobbling for recipes reveals a lotta brn
> sugar and pwdr sugar recipes. One was even a honey glaze, which may
> not be a bad idea.
>
> Thinking a bit more on it, I don't want a glaze that's gonna harden
> into broken glass-like shards when eaten. I jes wanna add a bit more
> sweet to the berries. OTOH, I can't even par-cook the berries, like
> for a pie, cuz they are gonna end up on a layer of pastry cream.
> Perhaps jes a dusting with baker's sugar (which I now use for all cane
> sugar cooking)? Any other ideas?

You could lightly mix them with sugar and let them sit but this will cause
the juice to come out and they will break down a bit. I would probably use
a small amount of corn syrup and mix that in.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 9:36:29 AM UTC-8, notbob wrote:
> I'm gonna make a blackberry pastry cream tart for T-day. The berries
>
> are jes sweet enough, but a little sugar can't hurt. I was thinking a
>
> simple sugar glaze, but gobbling for recipes reveals a lotta brn
>
> sugar and pwdr sugar recipes. One was even a honey glaze, which may
>
> not be a bad idea.
>

> Thinking a bit more on it, I don't want a glaze that's gonna harden
>
> into broken glass-like shards when eaten. I jes wanna add a bit more
>
> sweet to the berries. OTOH, I can't even par-cook the berries, like
>
> for a pie, cuz they are gonna end up on a layer of pastry cream.
>
> Perhaps jes a dusting with baker's sugar (which I now use for all cane
>
> sugar cooking)? Any other ideas?
>

> nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 9:36:29 AM UTC-8, notbob wrote:
> I'm gonna make a blackberry pastry cream tart for T-day. The berries
>
> are jes sweet enough, but a little sugar can't hurt. I was thinking a
>
> simple sugar glaze, but gobbling for recipes reveals a lotta brn
>
> sugar and pwdr sugar recipes. One was even a honey glaze, which may
>
> not be a bad idea.
>

> Thinking a bit more on it, I don't want a glaze that's gonna harden
>
> into broken glass-like shards when eaten. I jes wanna add a bit more
>
> sweet to the berries. OTOH, I can't even par-cook the berries, like
>
> for a pie, cuz they are gonna end up on a layer of pastry cream.
>
> Perhaps jes a dusting with baker's sugar (which I now use for all cane
>
> sugar cooking)? Any other ideas?
>

> nb

LOL! That previous post was not helpful! If you are looking for a slightly sweet/clear glaze, I'd use some currant jelly heated with a bit of water if needed, applied with a pastry brush. That is what I use on fresh fruit tarts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> I'm gonna make a blackberry pastry cream tart for T-day. The berries
> are jes sweet enough, but a little sugar can't hurt. I was thinking a
> simple sugar glaze, but gobbling for recipes reveals a lotta brn
> sugar and pwdr sugar recipes. One was even a honey glaze, which may
> not be a bad idea.
>
> Thinking a bit more on it, I don't want a glaze that's gonna harden
> into broken glass-like shards when eaten. I jes wanna add a bit more
> sweet to the berries. OTOH, I can't even par-cook the berries, like
> for a pie, cuz they are gonna end up on a layer of pastry cream.
> Perhaps jes a dusting with baker's sugar (which I now use for all cane
> sugar cooking)? Any other ideas?
>
> nb

watered down/heated up apricot jam is pretty traditional as a glaze.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-20, merryb > wrote:

> LOL! That previous post was not helpful! If you are looking for a
> slightly sweet/clear glaze, I'd use some currant jelly heated with a
> bit of water if needed, applied with a pastry brush. That is what I
> use on fresh fruit tarts.

Thanks, merryb. I've decided on jes that. Some blackberry jam with
maybe some red wine to thin and some fresh ginger for flavor.

The whole thing fell through, last night. I couldn't even get my
lemon curd filling to work. I used a recipe from How to Cook
Everything and it didn't work, despite following it to the letter.
Unfortunately, I've discovered its one great flaw, which is, imprecise
measurments. The recipe calls for 4 egg yolks and juice from 3
lemons. Is that med or lrg or xtra lrg eggs? Is that three
small/med/lrg lemons? Whatever the problem, the custard never got
thick enough. This despite meeting the two indicators, coating the
spoon and measuring the temp, which at this altitude, began boiling
far too soon. I think the custard broke. Apparently, baking is not
the only thing impacted by high alt.

Regardless, with so many electronic devices out there (prolly an app
to weigh grams on yer cell phone?) there's no excuse for imprecise
measurement, anymore. The ancient Larousse Gastronomique cookbook has
provided them for years. Which reminds me. Time to dig that lump
out. If I'm gonna play on the Frank field, best to use their
playbook.

OTOH, my new sauciér pan worked brilliantly. This custard is
precisely why I bought it. But, next time I'll make a créme
ptissiére (pastry cream). I've done those, before.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2013-11-20, merryb > wrote:
>
>> LOL! That previous post was not helpful! If you are looking for a
>> slightly sweet/clear glaze, I'd use some currant jelly heated with a
>> bit of water if needed, applied with a pastry brush. That is what I
>> use on fresh fruit tarts.

> Thanks, merryb. I've decided on jes that. Some blackberry jam with
> maybe some red wine to thin and some fresh ginger for flavor.
>
> The whole thing fell through, last night. I couldn't even get my
> lemon curd filling to work. I used a recipe from How to Cook
> Everything and it didn't work, despite following it to the letter.
> Unfortunately, I've discovered its one great flaw, which is, imprecise
> measurments. The recipe calls for 4 egg yolks and juice from 3
> lemons. Is that med or lrg or xtra lrg eggs? Is that three
> small/med/lrg lemons? Whatever the problem, the custard never got
> thick enough. This despite meeting the two indicators, coating the
> spoon and measuring the temp, which at this altitude, began boiling
> far too soon. I think the custard broke.

you "think" the custard broke? can't you tell?