Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Key lime craziness

I'm gonna make that key lime pie, today. Gotta. Already juiced the
limes.

Anyone planning on doing a key lime pie using real key limes, be
forwarned. They're itty-bitty sumbitches. The biggest one was 1-1/4"
in dia. The bag musta had about 30-40 limes in it. That's 60-80 lime
halves! That's a crap loada juicin', lemme tell you. And what can
one use to juice them, you may ask. If you didn't ask or forgot to
ask, you damn sure better think about it real seriously.

Why? Cuz, what do you use to juice a 1" dia citrus half? You can
forget those yellow and green reverse Mexican hand squeezers. Not
small enough. Those wooden hand reamers like Jeff, molester chef,
popularized (reamer? figures). It jes so happened I had recently
purchased one of those large SS garlic presses, which jes happened to
have a hair over 1-1/4" dia barrel. So, that's what I used. Still,
the little buggers got a crapload o' seeds in 'em. So many, in fact,
you can only squeeze so far before all those seeds pile up preventing
any further crushing action. So, I figure I lost about 10-14% juice
from every lime half. Still, I did manage to get a little over 1 cup.
I'll make a key lime margarita to sooth my aching wrist from all that
squeezing.

Oh, and if I like it and decide to make another key lime pie, I'm
gonna buy me a bottle of resto grade key lime juice. haruumph!

http://preview.tinyurl.com/k6d2nlf

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> I'm gonna make that key lime pie, today. Gotta. Already juiced the
> limes.
>
> Anyone planning on doing a key lime pie using real key limes, be
> forwarned. They're itty-bitty sumbitches. The biggest one was 1-1/4"
> in dia. The bag musta had about 30-40 limes in it. That's 60-80 lime
> halves! That's a crap loada juicin', lemme tell you. And what can
> one use to juice them, you may ask. If you didn't ask or forgot to
> ask, you damn sure better think about it real seriously.
>
> Why? Cuz, what do you use to juice a 1" dia citrus half? You can
> forget those yellow and green reverse Mexican hand squeezers. Not
> small enough. Those wooden hand reamers like Jeff, molester chef,
> popularized (reamer? figures). It jes so happened I had recently
> purchased one of those large SS garlic presses, which jes happened to
> have a hair over 1-1/4" dia barrel. So, that's what I used. Still,
> the little buggers got a crapload o' seeds in 'em. So many, in fact,
> you can only squeeze so far before all those seeds pile up preventing
> any further crushing action. So, I figure I lost about 10-14% juice
> from every lime half. Still, I did manage to get a little over 1 cup.
> I'll make a key lime margarita to sooth my aching wrist from all that
> squeezing.
>
> Oh, and if I like it and decide to make another key lime pie, I'm
> gonna buy me a bottle of resto grade key lime juice. haruumph!
>
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/k6d2nlf

Awwwww but good for you for doing all that work for your pie )
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 1, 2013 4:44:05 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:
> I'm gonna make that key lime pie, today. Gotta. Already juiced the
>
> limes.
>

> Anyone planning on doing a key lime pie using real key limes, be
>
> forwarned. They're itty-bitty sumbitches. The biggest one was 1-1/4"
>
> in dia. The bag musta had about 30-40 limes in it. That's 60-80 lime
>
> halves! That's a crap loada juicin', lemme tell you. And what can
>
> one use to juice them, you may ask. If you didn't ask or forgot to
>
> ask, you damn sure better think about it real seriously.
>

> Why? Cuz, what do you use to juice a 1" dia citrus half? You can
>
> forget those yellow and green reverse Mexican hand squeezers. Not
>
> small enough. Those wooden hand reamers like Jeff, molester chef,
>
> popularized (reamer? figures). It jes so happened I had recently
>
> purchased one of those large SS garlic presses, which jes happened to
>
> have a hair over 1-1/4" dia barrel. So, that's what I used. Still,
>
> the little buggers got a crapload o' seeds in 'em. So many, in fact,
>
> you can only squeeze so far before all those seeds pile up preventing
>
> any further crushing action. So, I figure I lost about 10-14% juice
>
> from every lime half. Still, I did manage to get a little over 1 cup.
>
> I'll make a key lime margarita to sooth my aching wrist from all that
>
> squeezing.
>

> Oh, and if I like it and decide to make another key lime pie, I'm
>
> gonna buy me a bottle of resto grade key lime juice. haruumph!
>

> http://preview.tinyurl.com/k6d2nlf

Now you know why a highend resto charges about 8-9 bucks a slice if they have used the real thing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 1, 2013 1:44:05 PM UTC-7, notbob wrote:
> I'm gonna make that key lime pie, today. Gotta. Already juiced the
>
> limes.
>

> Anyone planning on doing a key lime pie using real key limes, be
>
> forwarned. They're itty-bitty sumbitches. The biggest one was 1-1/4"
>
> in dia. The bag musta had about 30-40 limes in it. That's 60-80 lime
>
> halves! That's a crap loada juicin', lemme tell you. And what can
>
> one use to juice them, you may ask. If you didn't ask or forgot to
>
> ask, you damn sure better think about it real seriously.
>

> Why? Cuz, what do you use to juice a 1" dia citrus half? You can
>
> forget those yellow and green reverse Mexican hand squeezers. Not
>
> small enough. Those wooden hand reamers like Jeff, molester chef,
>
> popularized (reamer? figures). It jes so happened I had recently
>
> purchased one of those large SS garlic presses, which jes happened to
>
> have a hair over 1-1/4" dia barrel. So, that's what I used. Still,
>
> the little buggers got a crapload o' seeds in 'em. So many, in fact,
>
> you can only squeeze so far before all those seeds pile up preventing
>
> any further crushing action. So, I figure I lost about 10-14% juice
>
> from every lime half. Still, I did manage to get a little over 1 cup.
>
> I'll make a key lime margarita to sooth my aching wrist from all that
>
> squeezing.
>

> Oh, and if I like it and decide to make another key lime pie, I'm
>
> gonna buy me a bottle of resto grade key lime juice. haruumph!
>

> http://preview.tinyurl.com/k6d2nlf
>

> nb

So funny that you posted this! At work today, we got some red bell peppers that we were laughing about what a PIA it was going to be to julienne them. I mentioned juicing key limes which made a few people laugh- been there! At least it will be really good for all your effort.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1 Nov 2013 20:44:05 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> I'm gonna make that key lime pie, today. Gotta. Already juiced the
> limes.
>
> Anyone planning on doing a key lime pie using real key limes, be
> forwarned. They're itty-bitty sumbitches. The biggest one was 1-1/4"
> in dia. The bag musta had about 30-40 limes in it. That's 60-80 lime
> halves! That's a crap loada juicin', lemme tell you. And what can
> one use to juice them, you may ask. If you didn't ask or forgot to
> ask, you damn sure better think about it real seriously.
>
> Why? Cuz, what do you use to juice a 1" dia citrus half? You can
> forget those yellow and green reverse Mexican hand squeezers. Not
> small enough. Those wooden hand reamers like Jeff, molester chef,
> popularized (reamer? figures). It jes so happened I had recently
> purchased one of those large SS garlic presses, which jes happened to
> have a hair over 1-1/4" dia barrel. So, that's what I used. Still,
> the little buggers got a crapload o' seeds in 'em. So many, in fact,
> you can only squeeze so far before all those seeds pile up preventing
> any further crushing action. So, I figure I lost about 10-14% juice
> from every lime half. Still, I did manage to get a little over 1 cup.
> I'll make a key lime margarita to sooth my aching wrist from all that
> squeezing.
>
> Oh, and if I like it and decide to make another key lime pie, I'm
> gonna buy me a bottle of resto grade key lime juice. haruumph!
>
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/k6d2nlf

I guess they sell those bags with key lime pie as the prime directive
because I made the first key lime pie I'd made in years last year and
it took easily one hour, probably more, to squeeze all those limes...
and at the end I had just barely enough juice. My conclusion was to
buy an electric juicer because I felt like my arm would fall off after
that. The juicer I bought even has two reamer sizes and the small one
works very well for key limes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-01, jay > wrote:
> In article >,
> notbob > wrote:
>
>> You can
>> forget those yellow and green reverse Mexican hand squeezers.

> Try an aluminum color one.

Thatz jes a cheapo Mex version. Usta have one. It's the size I'm
talkin'. Mex no make micro-squeezer.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-01, merryb > wrote:

> So funny that you posted this! At work today, we got some red bell
> peppers that we were laughing about what a PIA it was going to be to
> julienne them. I mentioned juicing key limes which made a few people
> laugh- been there! At least it will be really good for all your
> effort.

I hope so. Beginning on the filling.....

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-01, notbob > wrote:

> I hope so. Beginning on the filling.....

In the oven....

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-02, notbob > wrote:
> On 2013-11-01, notbob > wrote:
>
>> I hope so. Beginning on the filling.....

> In the oven....

I don't wanna talk about it
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1 Nov 2013 20:44:05 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>I'm gonna make that key lime pie, today. Gotta. Already juiced the
>limes.
>
>Anyone planning on doing a key lime pie using real key limes, be
>forwarned. They're itty-bitty sumbitches. The biggest one was 1-1/4"
>in dia. The bag musta had about 30-40 limes in it. That's 60-80 lime
>halves! That's a crap loada juicin', lemme tell you. And what can
>one use to juice them, you may ask. If you didn't ask or forgot to
>ask, you damn sure better think about it real seriously.
>
>Why? Cuz, what do you use to juice a 1" dia citrus half? You can
>forget those yellow and green reverse Mexican hand squeezers. Not
>small enough. Those wooden hand reamers like Jeff, molester chef,
>popularized (reamer? figures). It jes so happened I had recently
>purchased one of those large SS garlic presses, which jes happened to
>have a hair over 1-1/4" dia barrel. So, that's what I used. Still,
>the little buggers got a crapload o' seeds in 'em. So many, in fact,
>you can only squeeze so far before all those seeds pile up preventing
>any further crushing action. So, I figure I lost about 10-14% juice
>from every lime half. Still, I did manage to get a little over 1 cup.
>I'll make a key lime margarita to sooth my aching wrist from all that
>squeezing.
>
>Oh, and if I like it and decide to make another key lime pie, I'm
>gonna buy me a bottle of resto grade key lime juice. haruumph!
>
>http://preview.tinyurl.com/k6d2nlf
>
>nb

I have a small antique glass reamer that works very well according to
DH who just juiced about 6 Key Limes. The "store bought" Key lime
juice isn't the same as fresh.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-02, The Cook > wrote:

> DH who just juiced about 6 Key Limes. The "store bought" Key lime
> juice isn't the same as fresh.

The effort failed.

Someone snuck in the house and turned off the oven while I wasn't
looking.

I should seen it coming. I don't like whipped foods.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> notbob wrote:
>>
>> On 2013-11-02, The Cook > wrote:
>>
>> > DH who just juiced about 6 Key Limes. The "store bought" Key lime
>> > juice isn't the same as fresh.

>> The effort failed.
>>
>> Someone snuck in the house and turned off the oven while I wasn't
>> looking.
>>
>> I should seen it coming. I don't like whipped foods.

> What exactly went wrong, nb? You put a lot of time and effort into the
> pie.
>
> G. (he probably won't see this...I think he's got me killfiled)

Well, I will ask too.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> I'm gonna make that key lime pie, today. Gotta. Already juiced the
> limes.
>
> Anyone planning on doing a key lime pie using real key limes, be
> forwarned. They're itty-bitty sumbitches. The biggest one was 1-1/4"
> in dia. The bag musta had about 30-40 limes in it. That's 60-80 lime
> halves! That's a crap loada juicin', lemme tell you. And what can
> one use to juice them, you may ask. If you didn't ask or forgot to
> ask, you damn sure better think about it real seriously.
>
> Why? Cuz, what do you use to juice a 1" dia citrus half? You can
> forget those yellow and green reverse Mexican hand squeezers. Not
> small enough. Those wooden hand reamers like Jeff, molester chef,
> popularized (reamer? figures). It jes so happened I had recently
> purchased one of those large SS garlic presses, which jes happened to
> have a hair over 1-1/4" dia barrel. So, that's what I used. Still,
> the little buggers got a crapload o' seeds in 'em. So many, in fact,
> you can only squeeze so far before all those seeds pile up preventing
> any further crushing action. So, I figure I lost about 10-14% juice
> from every lime half. Still, I did manage to get a little over 1 cup.
> I'll make a key lime margarita to sooth my aching wrist from all that
> squeezing.
>
> Oh, and if I like it and decide to make another key lime pie, I'm
> gonna buy me a bottle of resto grade key lime juice. haruumph!
>
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/k6d2nlf
>
> nb

As the SO (aka Florida Boy) would say, do not waste your money on
bottled pre-squeezed key lime juice. It's just regular lime juice. We
have used the reverse Mexican hand squeezer to juice key limes. I put
2-3 halves in at a time and it works quite well. We also have a smaller
hand squeezer made of unenameled metal that does the trick.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2013-11-02, The Cook > wrote:
>
> > DH who just juiced about 6 Key Limes. The "store bought" Key lime
> > juice isn't the same as fresh.

> The effort failed.
>
> Someone snuck in the house and turned off the oven while I wasn't
> looking.
>
> I should seen it coming. I don't like whipped foods.

What exactly went wrong, nb? You put a lot of time and effort into the
pie.

G. (he probably won't see this...I think he's got me killfiled)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-02, Ophelia > wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message ...

>> G. (he probably won't see this...I think he's got me killfiled)

> Well, I will ask too.

I didn't get that the recipe called for 3 egg PLUS 3 egg yolks until
it was too late. I only had two eggs left, so only 2 egg yolks. The
recipe called for 2 sheets or 2 envelopes of gelatine. I feel this is
too much. Restos make a dish that looks good. The gelatine keeps the
custard uniform when cutting into servings and the chef even admits
this, but I think it's too much. One would have been enough. This
recipe may have worked OK at sea level, but at 8K ft, not so well.
The recipe calls for slightly heating the eggs either before whipping
or while whipping. The chef used a propane torch to heat the custard
while it's being whipped in a Kitchenaid stand mixer, the type that
suspends the bowl by two tabs and leaves the bowl exposed on the
bottom. My Kenwood attaches at the bottom. The propane torch trick
didn't work so well. Then there's the oven issue. I left it in the
oven longer than advised cuz the custard hadn't fully cooked, a
toothpick didn't come out clean. So I left it in the oven longer.
Turns out I turned the oven off sometime during that time period
(those margaritas tend to sneak up!), so the pie was cooking only on
residual heat. Also, I don't think I used enough butter in the graham
cracker crust.

End result, a heavy (we're talking lbs!) dbl recipe (2 14 oz can
condensed milk) baked in a spring form pan with a gelatine
reinforcement. The thing tastes great, but it's a brick. Too much
gelatine and too little air makes it dense as Hell. I could weigh
down tent flaps in a gale, it's so heavy. I also don't think it took
on enough air at this altitude or the air being so thin, it didn't
inflate properly. In short, not a sterling effort. I don't know if
I'll try again. Probably not. But it was an adventure!

My next effort will be bloody severed finger almond cookies. Too late
for Halloween, but what the Hell, I love almonds.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2013-11-02, Ophelia > wrote:
>>

>> "Gary" > wrote in message

>>> G. (he probably won't see this...I think he's got me killfiled)

>> Well, I will ask too.

> I didn't get that the recipe called for 3 egg PLUS 3 egg yolks until
> it was too late. I only had two eggs left, so only 2 egg yolks. The
> recipe called for 2 sheets or 2 envelopes of gelatine. I feel this is
> too much. Restos make a dish that looks good. The gelatine keeps the
> custard uniform when cutting into servings and the chef even admits
> this, but I think it's too much. One would have been enough. This
> recipe may have worked OK at sea level, but at 8K ft, not so well.
> The recipe calls for slightly heating the eggs either before whipping
> or while whipping. The chef used a propane torch to heat the custard
> while it's being whipped in a Kitchenaid stand mixer, the type that
> suspends the bowl by two tabs and leaves the bowl exposed on the
> bottom. My Kenwood attaches at the bottom. The propane torch trick
> didn't work so well. Then there's the oven issue. I left it in the
> oven longer than advised cuz the custard hadn't fully cooked, a
> toothpick didn't come out clean.

It all sounds very complicated and altitude sure sounds like it creates
plenty of problems Is there such a thing as a 'Cooking at Altitude' cook
book? Maybe you could write one yourself by writing up all your
experiments?

lol awwwwwwwwwwwwww.

also don't think it took
> on enough air at this altitude or the air being so thin, it didn't
> inflate properly. In short, not a sterling effort. I don't know if
> I'll try again. Probably not. But it was an adventure!

Well I sounds as though you enjoyed yourself anyway) Just like me when
I try something new)

> My next effort will be bloody severed finger almond cookies. Too late
> for Halloween, but what the Hell, I love almonds.

lol I won't ask what they are ...

Thanks for telling us about it

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-02, Ophelia > wrote:

> plenty of problems Is there such a thing as a 'Cooking at
> Altitude' cook book?

Yes. When I first got here, I checked out a baking cookbook about
baking at altitude put out the univerity of Colorado. It's mostly
baking and the relation between altitude and yeast based baking. I'm
not much of a baker, so most of it was over my head.

> Maybe you could write one yourself by writing up all your
> experiments?

I'm such a dufas when it comes to baking, I doubt it.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2013-11-02, Ophelia > wrote:
>
>> plenty of problems Is there such a thing as a 'Cooking at
>> Altitude' cook book?

> Yes. When I first got here, I checked out a baking cookbook about
> baking at altitude put out the univerity of Colorado. It's mostly
> baking and the relation between altitude and yeast based baking. I'm
> not much of a baker, so most of it was over my head.
>
>> Maybe you could write one yourself by writing up all your
>> experiments?

> I'm such a dufas when it comes to baking, I doubt it.

Pah. I am sure you could write about other stuff besides baking!! Anyway,
the more you practice the better you will get. Something to think about
because you write well
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-02, Ophelia > wrote:

> Pah. I am sure you could write about other stuff besides baking!! Anyway,
> the more you practice the better you will get. Something to think about
> because you write well

Yer makin' me blush, O. 8P

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Nov 2013 16:34:01 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>

> "notbob" > wrote in message
>

> > My next effort will be bloody severed finger almond cookies. Too late
> > for Halloween, but what the Hell, I love almonds.

> lol I won't ask what they are ...
>
> Thanks for telling us about it

These are bread sticks, but I suspect they look something like this
http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/20...-for-halloween

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 2 Nov 2013 16:34:01 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>>

>> "notbob" > wrote in message
>>

>> > My next effort will be bloody severed finger almond cookies. Too late
>> > for Halloween, but what the Hell, I love almonds.

>> lol I won't ask what they are ...
>>
>> Thanks for telling us about it

> These are bread sticks, but I suspect they look something like this
> http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/20...-for-halloween

Oh my god!! They are
grosssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss(((((((( (((((
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-02, Ophelia > wrote:

> Oh my god!! They are
> grosssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss(((((((( (((((

there's a lotta versions, but basically:

<http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Severed-finger-cookies-347818>

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/2/2013 12:03 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2013-11-02, Ophelia > wrote:
>>

>> "Gary" > wrote in message ...

>>> G. (he probably won't see this...I think he's got me killfiled)

>> Well, I will ask too.

> I didn't get that the recipe called for 3 egg PLUS 3 egg yolks until
> it was too late. I only had two eggs left, so only 2 egg yolks. The
> recipe called for 2 sheets or 2 envelopes of gelatine. I feel this is
> too much. Restos make a dish that looks good. The gelatine keeps the
> custard uniform when cutting into servings and the chef even admits
> this, but I think it's too much. One would have been enough. This
> recipe may have worked OK at sea level, but at 8K ft, not so well.
> The recipe calls for slightly heating the eggs either before whipping
> or while whipping. The chef used a propane torch to heat the custard
> while it's being whipped in a Kitchenaid stand mixer, the type that
> suspends the bowl by two tabs and leaves the bowl exposed on the
> bottom. My Kenwood attaches at the bottom. The propane torch trick
> didn't work so well. Then there's the oven issue. I left it in the
> oven longer than advised cuz the custard hadn't fully cooked, a
> toothpick didn't come out clean. So I left it in the oven longer.
> Turns out I turned the oven off sometime during that time period
> (those margaritas tend to sneak up!), so the pie was cooking only on
> residual heat. Also, I don't think I used enough butter in the graham
> cracker crust.
>
> End result, a heavy (we're talking lbs!) dbl recipe (2 14 oz can
> condensed milk) baked in a spring form pan with a gelatine
> reinforcement. The thing tastes great, but it's a brick. Too much
> gelatine and too little air makes it dense as Hell. I could weigh
> down tent flaps in a gale, it's so heavy. I also don't think it took
> on enough air at this altitude or the air being so thin, it didn't
> inflate properly. In short, not a sterling effort. I don't know if
> I'll try again. Probably not. But it was an adventure!
>
> My next effort will be bloody severed finger almond cookies. Too late
> for Halloween, but what the Hell, I love almonds.
>
> nb

Alas and alak! Great post! I wouldn't attempt to figure out how to
bake key lime pie at 8,000 ft., much less how to find fresh key limes.
That's just me.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2013-11-02, Ophelia > wrote:
>
>> Oh my god!! They are
>> grosssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss(((((((( (((((

> there's a lotta versions, but basically:
>
> <http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Severed-finger-cookies-347818>

if they look like that one sf posted I will give it a miss if you don't mind

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-02, Ophelia > wrote:

> if they look like that one sf posted I will give it a miss if you don't mind

There's some pretty gross one's. I've seen some with raspberry jam to
increase the gore factor. Mine only has red sugar at the "severed"
base with no red around the fingernails, but a nice touch (food
coloring?). Plus, mine is mostly food processed almonds. Gotta love
almond cookies.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 4:56:59 PM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message

> > On Sat, 2 Nov 2013 16:34:01 -0000, "Ophelia"

> > > wrote:

> >> lol I won't ask what they are ...

> >> Thanks for telling us about it

> > These are bread sticks, but I suspect they look something like this

> > http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/20...-for-halloween

> Oh my god!! They are
>
> grosssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss(((((((( (((((

Have you ever seen the cat litterbox cake?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/2/2013 7:42 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Saturday, November 2, 2013 4:56:59 PM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
>> "sf" > wrote in message

>>> On Sat, 2 Nov 2013 16:34:01 -0000, "Ophelia"

>>> These are bread sticks, but I suspect they look something like this

>>> http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/20...-for-halloween

>> Oh my god!! They are
>>
>> grosssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss(((((((( (((((

> Have you ever seen the cat litterbox cake?

I suspect most of us have. Tootsie rolls for "cat poop". I was
fortunate enough to be too old for Halloween to be subjected to that
cake.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Nov 2013 16:42:34 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

> Have you ever seen the cat litterbox cake?

I have (images were posted here) and I have no idea why anyone would
think it's clever or cute.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, jay > wrote:

> In article >,
> notbob > wrote:
>
> > You can
> > forget those yellow and green reverse Mexican hand squeezers.

> Try an aluminum color one.
>
> http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/mex-grocer_2268_6836554

Cindy's SO (aka "Florida boy") reporting in. Yes, the gadget in the
above image is what I use to squeeze key limes. These squeezers look
like they were made in some third-world pre-industrial-age workshop.
But they function just fine. We bought ours at a Mexican grocery for $2.

I don't find juicing these limes is so hard. A one pound bag is more
than enough for a 9" pie (unless they are really stale and dried out),
and it only takes me about 15 minutes to squeeze them.

I grew up in south Florida. Cindy and I have made many trips back
there, and many excursions through the keys. We are always searching
for the ultimate key lime pie and conch chowder. So far, our favorite
KLP is the version served up at Mongrove Mama's, a funky restaurant and
bar on Sugarloaf Key. There have been several published recipes that
are alleged to be the authentic Mangrove Mama pie. I use a modified
version of the recipe posted in the Chicago Tribune Good Eating
Cookbook. I've uploaded it previously to RFC. Look for the posting
under my name he

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ttle.eats/oqtw
t4b7OBM/WKs1bumWdx8J

We often make this pie for holiday dinners, and it always gets rave
reviews.

One other note. Key limes are also known as Mexican limes, and that's
where most of the ones sold in the US are grown. Very few are grown in
the keys.

--
Julian Vrieslander
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 2 Nov 2013 16:42:34 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> > wrote:
>
>> Have you ever seen the cat litterbox cake?

> I have (images were posted here) and I have no idea why anyone would
> think it's clever or cute.

I thought it was disgusting the first time I saw it, and I still do. I have
no desire to ever see it again.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2013-11-02, Ophelia > wrote:
>
>> if they look like that one sf posted I will give it a miss if you don't
>> mind

> There's some pretty gross one's. I've seen some with raspberry jam to
> increase the gore factor. Mine only has red sugar at the "severed"
> base with no red around the fingernails, but a nice touch (food
> coloring?). Plus, mine is mostly food processed almonds. Gotta love
> almond cookies.

Trust me, seeing that last thing at night when I am just about to go to bed
does not help ...
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> On Saturday, November 2, 2013 4:56:59 PM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
>> "sf" > wrote in message

>> > On Sat, 2 Nov 2013 16:34:01 -0000, "Ophelia"

>> > These are bread sticks, but I suspect they look something like this

>> > http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/20...-for-halloween

>> Oh my god!! They are
>>
>> grosssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss(((((((( (((((

> Have you ever seen the cat litterbox cake?

Nooo!!! LOL what is this??? A squick O campaign at bedtime ... ??

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "notbob" wrote:
> > There's some pretty gross one's. I've seen some with raspberry jam to
> > increase the gore factor. Mine only has red sugar at the "severed"
> > base with no red around the fingernails, but a nice touch (food
> > coloring?). Plus, mine is mostly food processed almonds. Gotta love
> > almond cookies.

> Trust me, seeing that last thing at night when I am just about to go to bed
> does not help ...

I might be remembering wrong but it seems to me that Halloween in the
old days was about ghosts, goblins, witches, etc (ie - supernatural
beings). These days, Halloween (and horror films) are about crazed
killers and various human torture. WTH? This has no appeal to me. I'll
take a Disney movie over that sick nonsense any day. :-O

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "notbob" wrote:
>> > There's some pretty gross one's. I've seen some with raspberry jam to
>> > increase the gore factor. Mine only has red sugar at the "severed"
>> > base with no red around the fingernails, but a nice touch (food
>> > coloring?). Plus, mine is mostly food processed almonds. Gotta love
>> > almond cookies.

>> Trust me, seeing that last thing at night when I am just about to go to
>> bed
>> does not help ...

> I might be remembering wrong but it seems to me that Halloween in the
> old days was about ghosts, goblins, witches, etc (ie - supernatural
> beings).

Exactly the same when I was young. I don't know about England now but the
trick or treaters up here are dressed like characters from pantomime. I
never understood that.

These days, Halloween (and horror films) are about crazed
> killers and various human torture. WTH? This has no appeal to me. I'll
> take a Disney movie over that sick nonsense any day. :-O

Yep!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 1, 2013 3:44:05 PM UTC-5, notbob wrote:
> I'm gonna make that key lime pie, today. Gotta. Already juiced the
>
> limes.
>

> Anyone planning on doing a key lime pie using real key limes, be
>
> forwarned. They're itty-bitty sumbitches. The biggest one was 1-1/4"
>
> in dia. The bag musta had about 30-40 limes in it. That's 60-80 lime
>
> halves! That's a crap loada juicin', lemme tell you. And what can
>
> one use to juice them, you may ask. If you didn't ask or forgot to
>
> ask, you damn sure better think about it real seriously.
>

> Why? Cuz, what do you use to juice a 1" dia citrus half? You can
>
> forget those yellow and green reverse Mexican hand squeezers. Not
>
> small enough. Those wooden hand reamers like Jeff, molester chef,
>
> popularized (reamer? figures). It jes so happened I had recently
>
> purchased one of those large SS garlic presses, which jes happened to
>
> have a hair over 1-1/4" dia barrel. So, that's what I used. Still,
>
> the little buggers got a crapload o' seeds in 'em. So many, in fact,
>
> you can only squeeze so far before all those seeds pile up preventing
>
> any further crushing action. So, I figure I lost about 10-14% juice
>
> from every lime half. Still, I did manage to get a little over 1 cup.
>
> I'll make a key lime margarita to sooth my aching wrist from all that
>
> squeezing.

The smallest cone on the juicer attachment of my Cuisinart Little Pro Plus
works great on key limes.

http://www.cuisinart.com/parts/food_processors/lpp.html

> Oh, and if I like it and decide to make another key lime pie, I'm
>
> gonna buy me a bottle of resto grade key lime juice. haruumph!

Because you don't really care about quality?
You'd be far better off using fresh Persian limes than bottled key lime juice.

> nb

--Bryan sex+ O|O

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2 Nov 2013 16:03:43 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2013-11-02, Ophelia > wrote:
>>

>> "Gary" > wrote in message ...

>>> G. (he probably won't see this...I think he's got me killfiled)

>> Well, I will ask too.

>I didn't get that the recipe called for 3 egg PLUS 3 egg yolks until
>it was too late. I only had two eggs left, so only 2 egg yolks. The
>recipe called for 2 sheets or 2 envelopes of gelatine. I feel this is
>too much. Restos make a dish that looks good. The gelatine keeps the
>custard uniform when cutting into servings and the chef even admits
>this, but I think it's too much. One would have been enough. This
>recipe may have worked OK at sea level, but at 8K ft, not so well.
>The recipe calls for slightly heating the eggs either before whipping
>or while whipping. The chef used a propane torch to heat the custard
>while it's being whipped in a Kitchenaid stand mixer, the type that
>suspends the bowl by two tabs and leaves the bowl exposed on the
>bottom. My Kenwood attaches at the bottom. The propane torch trick
>didn't work so well. Then there's the oven issue. I left it in the
>oven longer than advised cuz the custard hadn't fully cooked, a
>toothpick didn't come out clean. So I left it in the oven longer.
>Turns out I turned the oven off sometime during that time period
>(those margaritas tend to sneak up!), so the pie was cooking only on
>residual heat. Also, I don't think I used enough butter in the graham
>cracker crust.
>
>End result, a heavy (we're talking lbs!) dbl recipe (2 14 oz can
>condensed milk) baked in a spring form pan with a gelatine
>reinforcement. The thing tastes great, but it's a brick. Too much
>gelatine and too little air makes it dense as Hell. I could weigh
>down tent flaps in a gale, it's so heavy. I also don't think it took
>on enough air at this altitude or the air being so thin, it didn't
>inflate properly. In short, not a sterling effort. I don't know if
>I'll try again. Probably not. But it was an adventure!
>
>My next effort will be bloody severed finger almond cookies. Too late
>for Halloween, but what the Hell, I love almonds.
>
>nb

If you are not afraid of raw eggs or can get pasteurized eggs let me
know and I will send you my recipe.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 Nov 2013 09:53:13 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> > Have you ever seen the cat litterbox cake?

> Nooo!!! LOL what is this??? A squick O campaign at bedtime ... ??

Go to Google Images and type in "kitty litter cake". Don't say we
didn't warn you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 05:18:57 -0500, Gary > wrote:

> I'll take a Disney movie over that sick nonsense any day.

Thank you, me too!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Nov 2013 09:53:13 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
> > > Have you ever seen the cat litterbox cake?

> > Nooo!!! LOL what is this??? A squick O campaign at bedtime ... ??

> Go to Google Images and type in "kitty litter cake". Don't say we
> didn't warn you.

No doubt, it's a southern recipe.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 23:15:17 -0700, Julian Vrieslander
> wrote:

> I grew up in south Florida. Cindy and I have made many trips back
> there, and many excursions through the keys. We are always searching
> for the ultimate key lime pie and conch chowder. So far, our favorite
> KLP is the version served up at Mongrove Mama's, a funky restaurant and
> bar on Sugarloaf Key. There have been several published recipes that
> are alleged to be the authentic Mangrove Mama pie. I use a modified
> version of the recipe posted in the Chicago Tribune Good Eating
> Cookbook. I've uploaded it previously to RFC. Look for the posting
> under my name he
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ttle.eats/oqtw
> t4b7OBM/WKs1bumWdx8J

I'm firmly in the meringue topping camp. I grew up taking month long
vacations in Ft. Lauderdale and the Florida keys - all the KLPs I ever
ate came that way.

<firing a shot across the bow>

Whipped cream on top is an abomination.

<running and hiding now>