Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default two new uses for some manual kitchen tools

1. When I wanted to grate a bit of Romano onto my salad, I used to get out the metal, paddle grater. Pain to wash. I found that a plastic, curved citrus tool, courtesy of Tupperware, has sharp teeth and a few swipes over the cheese does the trick. Wipes clean in a trice. I think Tupperware gave em as a freebie, to be used to section and eat grapefruit.

2. My metal ice cream scoop does a good job of removing kiwi* from its skin. Cut the kiwi in half, lengthwise and scoop away. Quick and much easier than trying to pare away that peel.

*Who remembers when kiwis first became available - back in the seventies, as I recall, and about 89 cents a piece. So, SOME prices have come down. I'm gettin' 'em 2 for 99.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

>2. My metal ice cream scoop does a good job of removing kiwi* from its skin.
>Cut the kiwi in half, lengthwise and scoop away. Quick and much easier than
>trying to pare away that peel.

Much easier, and virtually no waste:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2450040.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/2/2013 8:16 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Kalmia wrote:
>>
>> 2. My metal ice cream scoop does a good job of removing kiwi* from its skin.
>> Cut the kiwi in half, lengthwise and scoop away. Quick and much easier than
>> trying to pare away that peel.

> Much easier, and virtually no waste:
> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2450040.html

Yep, that's perfect! Too bad I don't have any reason to peel kiwi
fruit. It's nice tasting fruit but those tiny seeds are verboten.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> Kalmia wrote:
>>
>>2. My metal ice cream scoop does a good job of removing kiwi* from its
>>skin.
>>Cut the kiwi in half, lengthwise and scoop away. Quick and much easier
>>than
>>trying to pare away that peel.

> Much easier, and virtually no waste:
> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2450040.html

There's a plan. I used to hate peeling those for fruit salads at a
restaurant I worked at, and they're nasty on any small dings you might have
on your hands. Burn like Hell.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
1. When I wanted to grate a bit of Romano onto my salad, I used to get out
the metal, paddle grater. Pain to wash. I found that a plastic, curved
citrus tool, courtesy of Tupperware, has sharp teeth and a few swipes over
the cheese does the trick. Wipes clean in a trice. I think Tupperware gave
em as a freebie, to be used to section and eat grapefruit.

2. My metal ice cream scoop does a good job of removing kiwi* from its
skin. Cut the kiwi in half, lengthwise and scoop away. Quick and much
easier than trying to pare away that peel.

*Who remembers when kiwis first became available - back in the seventies, as
I recall, and about 89 cents a piece. So, SOME prices have come down. I'm
gettin' 'em 2 for 99.

If I only need a tiny bit of cheese, I either use my tiny box grater (PITA
to wash but it is small) or a vegetable peeler if I don't mind larger
pieces.

I HATE dealing with kiwi. Will have to see if I have that type of ice cream
scoop. I used to but I think I got rid of it. Not sure my other one would
work. It is metal and it has sort of a long tooth type thing sticking out
of it. Works well for ice cream though!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, gravesend10
@verizon.net says...

> Much easier, and virtually no waste:
> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2450040.html

That's how we always do it, ever since someone here posted that
method. Dead quick and easy.

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/06/2013 5:54 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>> It was for me too because of diverticulitis. But I had repeated acute
>> attacks and docs were concerned I would literally bust a gut if it kept
>> up, so I got it fixed. It's nice not having to avoid so many things that
>> have seeds or small pieces of nuts and so forth. And the only scar is
>> about an inch and a half long around my navel, almost invisible. I love
>> technology!
>>
>> MartyB

> I was in the hospital in July 2008 with a raging infection due to
> diverticulitis. And yes, there was perforation. They pumped me full of
> antibiotics, pain medication and inserted a drain in my back.
>
> The doc was *really* pushing me to have the surgery. Oh, his
> predictions were dire! and I almost fell for it. I finally said to him,
> "You DO realize I don't have insurance, right?" Oh! Well in that
> case, here are some pamphlets about foods to avoid... Funny how my
> having surgery suddenly wasn't high on his list of priorities.

Too bad you don't live here Jill. Everyone is covered. Health care and
the preservation on life is not limited to those who can afford to pay
for it or to pay for insurance.

It was close to three years ago that I started noticing something amiss,
getting weird feelings in my chest when out exercising. I went to a walk
in clinic one Saturday morning. The doctor sent me to the hospital. They
saw me right away at the ER, kept me there for about 10 hours, gave me
X rays. ECGs, blood tests, put me on a monitor. Then I followed up with
a visit to me doctor who sent me to a cardiologist, who, in turn sent
me for angiography. I ended up with emgency heart surgery, spent four
days in ICU plus another four days in the hospital. My total bill......
zero.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/3/2013 6:06 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 03/06/2013 5:54 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I was in the hospital in July 2008 with a raging infection due to
>> diverticulitis. And yes, there was perforation. They pumped me full of
>> antibiotics, pain medication and inserted a drain in my back.
>>
>> The doc was *really* pushing me to have the surgery. Oh, his
>> predictions were dire! and I almost fell for it. I finally said to him,
>> "You DO realize I don't have insurance, right?" Oh! Well in that
>> case, here are some pamphlets about foods to avoid... Funny how my
>> having surgery suddenly wasn't high on his list of priorities.
>>

> Too bad you don't live here Jill. Everyone is covered. Health care and
> the preservation on life is not limited to those who can afford to pay
> for it or to pay for insurance.

Yes, I know, Dave. Fortunately because I was here as my mom's full-time
caregiver they waived a lot of the in-hospital charges. I did have to
take money out of my IRA to pay the bills that weren't written off.

> It was close to three years ago that I started noticing something amiss,
> getting weird feelings in my chest when out exercising. I went to a walk
> in clinic one Saturday morning. The doctor sent me to the hospital. They
> saw me right away at the ER, kept me there for about 10 hours, gave me
> X rays. ECGs, blood tests, put me on a monitor. Then I followed up with
> a visit to me doctor who sent me to a cardiologist, who, in turn sent
> me for angiography. I ended up with emgency heart surgery, spent four
> days in ICU plus another four days in the hospital. My total bill......
> zero.

You're very fortunate and I'm glad you're still with us. I broke my
nose a couple of years ago. My glasses flew off, I was crying and
couldn't see a thing. I managed to hit the emergency button on the
wall. This summoned security and they insisted on calling an ambulance.
They pushed me to go to the hospital... cost me $400. For an ice pack
and a couple of aspirin.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 3, 6:06*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:

> Too bad you don't live here Jill. *Everyone is covered. Health care and
> the preservation on life is not limited to those who can afford to pay
> for it or to pay for insurance.
>
> It was close to three years ago that I started noticing something amiss,
> getting weird feelings in my chest when out exercising. I went to a walk
> in clinic one Saturday morning. The doctor sent me to the hospital. They
> saw me right away at the ER, *kept me there for about 10 hours, gave me
> X rays. ECGs, blood tests, put me on a monitor. *Then I followed up with
> a visit to me doctor who sent me to a *cardiologist, who, in turn sent
> me for angiography. *I ended up with emgency heart surgery, spent four
> days in ICU plus another four days in the hospital. My total bill......
> zero.

Coming from England I find it amazing that there is so much antipathy
in the USA regarding free health insurance. Despite its obvious
advantages this country seems to be crumbling in nearly every respect.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Helpful person" > wrote in message
On Jun 3, 6:06 pm, Dave Smith > wrote:

> Too bad you don't live here Jill. Everyone is covered. Health care and
> the preservation on life is not limited to those who can afford to pay
> for it or to pay for insurance.
>
> It was close to three years ago that I started noticing something amiss,
> getting weird feelings in my chest when out exercising. I went to a walk
> in clinic one Saturday morning. The doctor sent me to the hospital. They
> saw me right away at the ER, kept me there for about 10 hours, gave me
> X rays. ECGs, blood tests, put me on a monitor. Then I followed up with
> a visit to me doctor who sent me to a cardiologist, who, in turn sent
> me for angiography. I ended up with emgency heart surgery, spent four
> days in ICU plus another four days in the hospital. My total bill......
> zero.

Coming from England I find it amazing that there is so much antipathy
in the USA regarding free health insurance. Despite its obvious
advantages this country seems to be crumbling in nearly every respect.

---------

free? you must be kidding.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 4, 10:00*pm, "Pico Rico" > wrote:
> "Helpful person" > wrote in message
>
> Coming from England I find it amazing that there is so much antipathy
> in the USA regarding free health insurance. *Despite its obvious
> advantages this country seems to be crumbling in nearly every respect.
>
> ---------
>
> free? *you must be kidding.

Idiot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/5/2013 9:37 AM, Helpful person wrote:
> On Jun 4, 10:00 pm, "Pico Rico" > wrote:
>> "Helpful person" > wrote in message
>>
>> Coming from England I find it amazing that there is so much antipathy
>> in the USA regarding free health insurance. Despite its obvious
>> advantages this country seems to be crumbling in nearly every respect.
>>
>> free? you must be kidding.

> Idiot.

The NHS is "free at the point of delivery".
It's not actually "free", it's paid for by contributions made by
wage-earners - just like "free" education, police, and fire services.
Everyone who earns, pays; everyone who needs, receives.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 5, 10:13*am, S Viemeister > wrote:

> The NHS is "free at the point of delivery".
> It's not actually "free", it's paid for by contributions made by
> wage-earners - just like "free" education, police, and fire services.
> Everyone who earns, pays; everyone who needs, receives.

As you state health maintenance is available free or for minimal cost
at the point of access. What you are describing is the funding
method.

In the US without insurance there is no heath maintenance. You may
get free tooth extraction after it has an abscess but no health care
to avoid the abscess.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/3/2013 5:06 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> It was close to three years ago that I started noticing something amiss,
> getting weird feelings in my chest when out exercising. I went to a walk
> in clinic one Saturday morning. The doctor sent me to the hospital. They
> saw me right away at the ER, kept me there for about 10 hours, gave me
> X rays. ECGs, blood tests, put me on a monitor. Then I followed up with
> a visit to me doctor who sent me to a cardiologist, who, in turn sent
> me for angiography. I ended up with emgency heart surgery, spent four
> days in ICU plus another four days in the hospital. My total bill......
> zero.

We Americans prefer to spend our money on wars instead of healthcare, I
believe the military spends over 50% of our budget. Just imagine what
would happen if half of that money was spent on food, healthcare or
education.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/5/2013 10:54 AM, Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 6/3/2013 5:06 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> It was close to three years ago that I started noticing something amiss,
>> getting weird feelings in my chest when out exercising. I went to a walk
>> in clinic one Saturday morning. The doctor sent me to the hospital. They
>> saw me right away at the ER, kept me there for about 10 hours, gave me
>> X rays. ECGs, blood tests, put me on a monitor. Then I followed up with
>> a visit to me doctor who sent me to a cardiologist, who, in turn sent
>> me for angiography. I ended up with emgency heart surgery, spent four
>> days in ICU plus another four days in the hospital. My total bill......
>> zero.

> We Americans prefer to spend our money on wars instead of healthcare, I
> believe the military spends over 50% of our budget. Just imagine what
> would happen if half of that money was spent on food, healthcare or
> education.
>
> Becca

We'd be:

fatter,

over-diagnosed,

even less competitive globally,

and less safe than we are now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/5/2013 3:24 PM, casa bona wrote:
> We'd be:
>
> fatter,
>
> over-diagnosed,
>
> even less competitive globally,
>
> and less safe than we are now.

LOL!!!!! You looked at any stats on how our education and health care
rank against other countries? Those ships have already sailed.

'splain to me how the bazillions of $$$$ we dumped into Mid-east wars
(and Haliburton) have made us more safe.

Get smart. Stop watching Fox "News" and read a book. Start with this
one: http://fareedzakaria.com/books/the-post-american-world/

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/5/2013 2:15 PM, Pico Rico wrote:

> The big problem is that when things are "free at the point of delivery",
> people will try not to pay in, and then take as much free stuff as they can.
> There needs to be some "cost at the point of delivery" (not 100%, but some
> sort of copay) in order to have people THINK about what their actual needs
> are.
>
> This isn't much of a problem when it comes to fire protection (people don't
> burn their houses to get the free stuff), but it certainly is a problem with
> health care.

American citizens pay taxes, so they pay in whether they like it or not.
I have been insured the majority of my life, and I did not go to the
doctor willy-nilly, and neither did my friends or my employees. I will
not see a doctor until I am absolutely forced to go. There may be a
handful of people who do, but those people are few and far between.
Everyone deserves healthcare, and you do not toss out a health care
system because you think a hypochondriac will abuse it.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ema Nymton" > wrote in message
> On 6/5/2013 2:15 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
>
>> The big problem is that when things are "free at the point of delivery",
>> people will try not to pay in, and then take as much free stuff as they
>> can.
>> There needs to be some "cost at the point of delivery" (not 100%, but
>> some
>> sort of copay) in order to have people THINK about what their actual
>> needs
>> are.
>>
>> This isn't much of a problem when it comes to fire protection (people
>> don't
>> burn their houses to get the free stuff), but it certainly is a problem
>> with
>> health care.

> American citizens pay taxes, so they pay in whether they like it or not. I
> have been insured the majority of my life, and I did not go to the doctor
> willy-nilly, and neither did my friends or my employees. I will not see a
> doctor until I am absolutely forced to go. There may be a handful of
> people who do, but those people are few and far between. Everyone deserves
> healthcare, and you do not toss out a health care system because you think
> a hypochondriac will abuse it.

In fact, there are millions who abuse it. That is the fundamental problem.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 3, 2013 5:06:52 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> Too bad you don't live here Jill. Everyone is covered. Health care and
>
> the preservation on life is not limited to those who can afford to pay
>
> for it or to pay for insurance.

But America is a Fascist paradise. I think I'll share something I wrote recently, since it might **** a few folks off:
I was thinking the other day of another of America's bull$hit lies, that we were this noble country that entered WWII to "defeat Fascism." Get this through your heads, American people. It wasn't about defeating Fascism. If it were, the day that the allies took Berlin, they'd have turned their attention to the Fascist dictatorship in Spain. Instead, Fascism reared its head here, Joe McCarthy, the orchestration of the coup against Mohammad Mosaddegh (for which America got paid back in 1979), support for Fascist dictators in Latin America who murdered with impunity, how the heck can any thinking person be unqualifiedly proud of this country's history?

Every nation state maintains itself on myths, essentially, lies, intended to gin up patriotism. Patriotism, more often than not, makes less sense than some drooling, goofball high school boy rooting for his school's football team, and going all out, decorating his car with streamers in the school colors, face paint, the whole deal. The difference is, the school only asks the players to put themselves at risk of brain trauma, whereas the nation asks its 18-20 year olds, whose judgement they don't trust enough to let them drink a freakin' beer, to fight and die for something. What? Beats me. Last time I checked, no foreign government was threatening any of our constitutional rights.

Afghanistan? Yeah, the USA kind of had to do that. Not that this nation didn't kind of deserve 9/11 because we sponsored the development of Islamist terrorism to oppose the Soviet client state in Afghanistan. I'm no fan of the Soviet Union, but it seems to me that the Soviet imposed government was probably the best government the Afghans have ever had. Certainly it was for fifty-some percent of the population. Jimmy Carter acted like a total dumbass out of sheer incompetence, then Reagan doubled down, sponsoring terrorism. Did any of it speed up the dissolution of the Soviet bloc? Sure. Months? Years? Who knows? Folks in Hungary, Checkoslovakia, Poland, Romania and especially East Germany certainly benefited from US foreign policy, as they were freed that much sooner from dictatorship. Ukraine, Georgia, the Baltic states as well, but those folks lives under Communist dictatorship, however bleak, were far better than the lives of peasants under the Right wing dictators sponsored by the USA. Even in some of Eastern Europe, some things are worse. Today, on NPR, they were talking about the tuberculosis epidemic in Moldova.
The defeat of Communism resulted in the rise of oligarchy not only in the Second World, but also in the USA. Now, extreme Capitalism is the evil to be crushed. The ideals of the Koch brothers are every bit as evil as those of Stalin, and Ayn Rand belongs in the same level of Dante's Hell as Hitler and Pol Pot.
One can be a Leftist, informed by Marx, and yet not be a Communist. I know, because that is me.

One can be a feminist, even a militant one, without any hostility toward those who happen to have been born male (no self loathing here), and can sympathize and support the militant FEMEN folks, even though I don't agree with some of the stances that they take, like abolition of prostitution. I feel that in a society where women have equal rights and powers, any person should be free to exchange any service, and do not feel that carving out an exception to that freedom for exchanges that are sexual in nature, but have no component of coercion. This isn't because I buy or sell sexual services, because I don't, just as I support legalizing pot, even though I don't smoke it.

One can be a happily married heterosexual, like me, but still fight for *** rights.

I want to qualify. I don't feel that any of the individuals who were hurt or killed in the Iran Hostage event, nor 9/11 attacks deserved what happened to them. Nor do I in any way sympathize with those who carried out those attacks. I hate Islamists almost as much as I love life itself, but the ugly truth is that in both cases, the chickens were merely coming home to roost, and the American psyche, with its smug myth of moral superiority deserved those hits.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/5/2013 3:49 PM, Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 6/5/2013 2:15 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
>
>> The big problem is that when things are "free at the point of delivery",
>> people will try not to pay in, and then take as much free stuff as
>> they can.
>> There needs to be some "cost at the point of delivery" (not 100%, but
>> some
>> sort of copay) in order to have people THINK about what their actual
>> needs
>> are.
>>
>> This isn't much of a problem when it comes to fire protection (people
>> don't
>> burn their houses to get the free stuff), but it certainly is a
>> problem with
>> health care.

> American citizens pay taxes, so they pay in whether they like it or not.
> I have been insured the majority of my life, and I did not go to the
> doctor willy-nilly, and neither did my friends or my employees. I will
> not see a doctor until I am absolutely forced to go. There may be a
> handful of people who do, but those people are few and far between.
> Everyone deserves healthcare, and you do not toss out a health care
> system because you think a hypochondriac will abuse it.
>
> Becca

Right now it's being abused by 10-15 million illegal immigrants.

I wouldn't call them all hypochondriacs however...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ema Nymton" > wrote in message
> On 6/3/2013 5:06 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> It was close to three years ago that I started noticing something amiss,
>> getting weird feelings in my chest when out exercising. I went to a walk
>> in clinic one Saturday morning. The doctor sent me to the hospital. They
>> saw me right away at the ER, kept me there for about 10 hours, gave me
>> X rays. ECGs, blood tests, put me on a monitor. Then I followed up with
>> a visit to me doctor who sent me to a cardiologist, who, in turn sent
>> me for angiography. I ended up with emgency heart surgery, spent four
>> days in ICU plus another four days in the hospital. My total bill......
>> zero.

> We Americans prefer to spend our money on wars instead of healthcare, I
> believe the military spends over 50% of our budget. Just imagine what
> would happen if half of that money was spent on food, healthcare or
> education.

not even close.

20% on defense.

22% on Medicare and Medicaid

21% for Social Security

13% for "other mandatory spending", such as Food Stamps, EITC, SSI,
Unemployment compensation, Family support, Child nutrition, children's
health insurance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/5/2013 4:41 PM, casa bona wrote:
> Lol
>
> Your advice is worth about what I paid for it, bud.

And that would be 10 times more than your opinion is worth.

Now go back to drinking that tea-bag flavored Kool-aid.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/5/2013 4:13 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
> "Ema Nymton" > wrote in message
>> On 6/3/2013 5:06 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>>> It was close to three years ago that I started noticing something amiss,
>>> getting weird feelings in my chest when out exercising. I went to a walk
>>> in clinic one Saturday morning. The doctor sent me to the hospital. They
>>> saw me right away at the ER, kept me there for about 10 hours, gave me
>>> X rays. ECGs, blood tests, put me on a monitor. Then I followed up with
>>> a visit to me doctor who sent me to a cardiologist, who, in turn sent
>>> me for angiography. I ended up with emgency heart surgery, spent four
>>> days in ICU plus another four days in the hospital. My total bill......
>>> zero.

>> We Americans prefer to spend our money on wars instead of healthcare, I
>> believe the military spends over 50% of our budget. Just imagine what
>> would happen if half of that money was spent on food, healthcare or
>> education.
>>

> not even close.
>
> 20% on defense.
>
> 22% on Medicare and Medicaid
>
> 21% for Social Security
>
> 13% for "other mandatory spending", such as Food Stamps, EITC, SSI,
> Unemployment compensation, Family support, Child nutrition, children's
> health insurance.

Decent of you correct her error.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/5/2013 4:24 PM, George Leppla wrote:
> On 6/5/2013 4:41 PM, casa bona wrote:
>> Lol
>>
>> Your advice is worth about what I paid for it, bud.

> And that would be 10 times more than your opinion is worth.

You post publicly you're going to get opinions you can't agree with nor
factually rebut.

> Now go back to drinking that tea-bag flavored Kool-aid.
>
> George L

Congratulations on lowering the discourse to the usual crudities
deployed by the left; you really had no other choice, did you?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/5/2013 5:29 PM, casa bona wrote:
> Congratulations on lowering the discourse to the usual crudities
> deployed by the left; you really had no other choice, did you?

Hey... I gave you a source. Instead of arguing the issues, you attacked
the author.

Typical tea-bagger reaction, all bluster and vitriol, no substance. I
don't waste my time on people like you.

Apocalypse like a good little tea-bagger. I won't bother you with facts
or any links where you might actually have to think for yourself.

I'll talk to adults, instead. You can talk to yourself... 'cause I'm
not listening.

Buh-bye, Bagger.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/5/2013 4:51 PM, George Leppla wrote:
> On 6/5/2013 5:29 PM, casa bona wrote:
>> Congratulations on lowering the discourse to the usual crudities
>> deployed by the left; you really had no other choice, did you?

> Hey... I gave you a source.

Yes you did.

> Instead of arguing the issues, you attacked
> the author.

There are no "issues" to argue, the man's a plagiarist and a flip flopper.

I waste little time with either.

> Typical tea-bagger reaction, all bluster and vitriol, no substance. I
> don't waste my time on people like you.

But you do waste your time in crude personal slurs and accusations you
haven't the slightest insight to offer.

> Apocalypse like a good little tea-bagger.

Looks like that group has really got your goat, lol.

> I won't bother you with facts
> or any links where you might actually have to think for yourself.

I'm sorry mine upset your little CNN apple cart.

> I'll talk to adults, instead.

The left are generally swift to denigrate the young, whilst still
begging for their votes of course.

> You can talk to yourself... 'cause I'm
> not listening.

Oh you'll listen all right, with a temper like that you can't help but
listen.

> Buh-bye, Bagger.
>
> George L

I mean what the heck, vent, let all the bile out.

I've got some time to waste...