Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking,sci.bio.food-science

Default What is an "egg" actually doing in a flour recipe (onion rings)anyway?

My kid and I am just learning how to cook, and I keep seeing these
recipes that call for "an egg".

For example, we were making onion rings today and found this:
http://www.bhg.com/recipes/how-to/co...e-onion-rings/

Seems to me, except for the seasoning, the egg & milk aren't
any better or worse than equivalent amounts of water ... but
maybe I'm missing something.

QUESTION: What 'does' the egg actually do in these recipes?

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking,sci.bio.food-science

"Danny D" > wrote in message
> My kid and I am just learning how to cook, and I keep seeing these
> recipes that call for "an egg".
> http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12981834.jpg
>
> For example, we were making onion rings today and found this:
> http://www.bhg.com/recipes/how-to/co...e-onion-rings/
>
> Seems to me, except for the seasoning, the egg & milk aren't
> any better or worse than equivalent amounts of water ... but
> maybe I'm missing something.
>
> QUESTION: What 'does' the egg actually do in these recipes?

The egg shell, if you are using it, would add crunch, I suppose. I would
recommend against it.

You don't need to use egg, but it provides some volume. Tenpura batter has
no egg (look it up). You can also just dust the onion rings with flour for
a different end result.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/14/2013 7:19 PM, Danny D wrote:
> My kid and I am just learning how to cook, and I keep seeing these
> recipes that call for "an egg".
>
> For example, we were making onion rings today and found this:

(snip)
> Seems to me, except for the seasoning, the egg & milk aren't
> any better or worse than equivalent amounts of water ... but
> maybe I'm missing something.
>
> QUESTION: What 'does' the egg actually do in these recipes?

(Cross-posting snipped)

What does it do? It adds a different texture.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/53...-milk-or-eggs/

"The liquid can be water, milk, beer, eggs or any combination that
appeals to the cook."

It's pretty simple; if you don't want to use eggs, don't.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking,sci.bio.food-science

On Tue, 14 May 2013 17:31:13 -0700, Pico Rico wrote:

> You don't need to use egg, but it provides some volume.

OK. I guess the egg would provide more volume than,
say, water.

PS: Sorry for the duplicate posts; I wrote to the aioe server
admin Paolo, to see if he can debug why that happens. I'll use
a different server for this response.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking,sci.bio.food-science

"Danny D" > wrote in message
> My kid and I am just learning how to cook, and I keep seeing these
> recipes that call for "an egg".
> http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12981834.jpg
>
> For example, we were making onion rings today and found this:
> http://www.bhg.com/recipes/how-to/co...e-onion-rings/
>
> Seems to me, except for the seasoning, the egg & milk aren't
> any better or worse than equivalent amounts of water ... but
> maybe I'm missing something.
>
> QUESTION: What 'does' the egg actually do in these recipes?

The egg is the binder. Not all recipes call for egg but most will call for
egg and milk. There are different ways to make onion rings. Note that I
have never actually made them but there are some allergen free (top 8) ones
that use neither wheat, egg or dairy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/14/2013 8:31 PM, Pico Rico wrote:

> You don't need to use egg, but it provides some volume. Tenpura batter has
> no egg (look it up). You can also just dust the onion rings with flour for
> a different end result.

Also, I would use something carbonated as the liquid, like soda water or
beer.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking,sci.bio.food-science

On May 14, 7:31*pm, "Pico Rico" > wrote:
> "Danny D" > wrote in message

> > My kid and I am just learning how to cook, and I keep seeing these
> > recipes that call for "an egg".
> >http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12981834.jpg

> > For example, we were making onion rings today and found this:
> >http://www.bhg.com/recipes/how-to/co...-make-onion-ri...

> > Seems to me, except for the seasoning, the egg & milk aren't
> > any better or worse than equivalent amounts of water ... but
> > maybe I'm missing something.

> > QUESTION: What 'does' the egg actually do in these recipes?

> The egg shell, if you are using it, would add crunch, I suppose. *I would
> recommend against it.
>
> You don't need to use egg, but it provides some volume. *Tenpura batter has
> no egg (look it up). *You can also just dust the onion rings with flour for
> a different end result.

I.e., your egg batter will puff up more than just plain water. Here's
mine - it's really good - you may need to add beer to the batter if it
gets too thick.

1 large onion
2 1/4 C. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
˝ tsp. salt
20-24 oz. room temperature beer

Cut the rings and put them in ice water for at least 3 hours (use ice
cubes and water, and put the container in the fridge).

Oil temp should be at least 375 deg. F. - in my big electric frypan,
400 worked better because I cut the rings fairly thin.

Drain the rings and shake them in a bag of flour until they're well-
coated. Submerse in the beer batter and drop in the oil. Fry until
light brown, turning once. Keep warm on a rack on a cookie sheet in
the oven - salt just before serving.

I don't like to put them on paper towel, because the grease kind of
soaks back in - so I put out a cookie sheet with a small cooling rack
on top, and load the onion rings on that to drain and dry - keep the
oven about 200 or so (warm).

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 May 2013 00:52:05 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

> On 5/14/2013 8:31 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
>
> > You don't need to use egg, but it provides some volume. Tenpura batter has
> > no egg (look it up). You can also just dust the onion rings with flour for
> > a different end result.

> Also, I would use something carbonated as the liquid, like soda water or
> beer.

I saw one that called for beer. I should have saved that one. Darn!
It's untraditional, but I like beer batter - so shoot me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking,sci.bio.food-science

Danny D wrote:

> My kid ... am just learning how to cook

Schoolin' sure am useful.