Old 15-05-2013, 01:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking,sci.bio.food-science
Pico Rico[_2_] Pico Rico[_2_] is offline

Default What is an "egg" actually doing in a flour recipe (onion rings) anyway?

"Danny D" wrote in message
My kid and I am just learning how to cook, and I keep seeing these
recipes that call for "an egg".

For example, we were making onion rings today and found this:
http://www.bhg.com/recipes/how-to/co...e-onion-rings/

Seems to me, except for the seasoning, the egg & milk aren't
any better or worse than equivalent amounts of water ... but
maybe I'm missing something.

QUESTION: What 'does' the egg actually do in these recipes?

The egg shell, if you are using it, would add crunch, I suppose. I would
recommend against it.

You don't need to use egg, but it provides some volume. Tenpura batter has
no egg (look it up). You can also just dust the onion rings with flour for
a different end result.